Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/146

Height: 5'7''

Default Is Walking Enough?

I've never really exercised regularly before outside of PE class in High School. I was thinking I could probably get up early and go for a walk (like 30-45min) in the mornings and then maybe another 30-45 minute walk in the evening if that's not enough.

I'm not sure what else to do, but I know that exercise is a must for weight loss. What else is there to do to lose weight? I definitely can't wait until college starts because I want to join a yoga class or something but my hometown is too small.

What sort of exercise can I reasonably do, or is walking enough?
Melonlefey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #2  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Exercise is NOT a must for weight loss; it is a must for FITNESS. You don't really HAVE to exercise to lose weight, calories in versus calories out. I personally do it to avoid a lot of extra skin and fitness too. I actually enjoy it. Oh yea, I get to eat a bit more since I exercise so that is another plus for me.

Now for you to stick with it, you start small with something easy so yes walking is good for now. When I first started out, I used the elliptical and I couldn't even do 1 minute on the easiest setting! Now I can do about an hour without stopping.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

Exercise is imperative for healthy living in general. There is a point in which calorie restriction will likely not be enough to meet your goals. Not to mention, it is easier to restrict some of your calories in diet and then burn some in exercise, rather than just dieting. Exercise has many benefits. Better mood, better blood flow, increased metabolism, better sleep, reduction of cortisol, etc...You have to have a healthy heart, bones, a healthy you!Walking is a great place to begin, and anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't count. If you want to do body weight resistance exercises, those are great, too (i.e. lunges, squats, push-ups, planks) The most important thing is that you get moving! You will figure the rest out as you go. Happy walking to you.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #4  
Woman on a mission!!!

S/C/G: 211.05/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I think walking is a great starting point! You can gradually throw some jogging in a little at a time and the more you do it, the more you will be able to do!! I walk every day at lunch and try to get in evening walks when my daughter does not have soccer. I also hit the gym 5-6 times a week but I feel like something is missing when I don't get my walks.
shainasb818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:14 AM   #5  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

In last 6 months I have walked off 20 pounds, and I have fab looking legs
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #6  
Just watch me ...

Walking is excellent! Google 'benefits of walking' and check it out. Also, about.com has walking programs you can check out.
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote