General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Default High fiber oatmeal and 1/2c yogurt for breakfast...still hungry

So I've decided to be a good girl and eat my breakfast every morning. I've bought some Quakers high fiber oatmeal (I know that the plain stuff is better, but for now I opted for quick, easy, and tasty since it's easier to motivate myself to get out of bed that little bit earlier to eat it). After nuking it with some water I glob in a 1/2c of low-fat Activia (strawberry is the flavour I have). The problem is...I'm still hungry after eating it! I'll get dressed, walk to work and pass by the university food court on the way to my office and the smell of Tim Horton's breakfast sandwiches will destroy me. I'll usually brew up a cup of coffee with some skim milk and sweetener when I get up to my office and it makes me feel a little better.

Do I just have to get used to eating less? Should I get more protein?
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #2  
Woman on a mission!!!

S/C/G: 211.05/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I've been eating the Special K Vanilla & Almond cereal for a couple weeks now and a small bowl seems to fill me up pretty well. I snack on a Fiber one bar between that and lunch and LOTS of water. As your stomach shrinks, you get fuller much faster and I am starting to notice that. Even a small salad at lunch fills me up real quick now! So many of my co workers walk in the office with fast food breakfasts and all have to pass my office. The smell kills me but I tell myself it will all be worth it!!
shainasb818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #3  
starting over again

You're hungry because both are loaded with sugar. About 5 teaspoons worth for both. People are most insulin resistant first thing in the morning, so this is not the time for a sugar rush.

Something more substantial, like eggs, would be a better choice.
Marms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I had a very filling breakfast today: 1/2 cup brown rice, 1/2 an avocado and a hot dog. 300 calories, full of protein and healthy fats. Kept me full for hours.

I also like cheese and crackers, hard boiled eggs and half an avocado, meat, or bacon and eggs.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #5  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

More protein might help you feel more satisfied. I find that a little healthy fat can help me, as well. For breakfast a few things that work well for me (combining fat, protein and carbs) is a piece of whole grain toast with peanut butter or rice and beans with a tbs of olive oil or one egg on whole wheat toast with a transfat free buttery spread. I do best if I have a mix of protein, fat and slow burning carbs. If I were to modify your breakfast, I'd keep the oatmeal and ditch the yogurt (too much sugar) and replace it with an egg.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

This morning I added in a cup of low fat milk on the side and -now- I feel full, really full in fact!
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

I get a big tub of quick oats. You microwave 1/2 cup of oats with 1 cup of water for 2 and half minutes. I add cinnamon, 1 tbs. of maple syrup, and apple slices. The fiber keeps me full until lunch. (Also, it's kind of a lot of food. ;-) )
SensualSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/156/125

Height: 5'2

I learned a trick from Jillian Michaels and incorporated it into my oats (I use whole oats and heat them in a pan, the old fashioned way haha). Eat 8 almonds with your breakfast, or 5 walnuts. What I do is crush the almonds in a bowl and stir the crushed almonds into my oats. Adds great protein ang good fats, helps fill you up for an extra 58 calories. Alternatively, you could switch to scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast. As the other posters have said, you'll need protein if you want to last longer without hunger.
Marchmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If my breakfast is too high in sugar, or carbs in general, I stay hungry or get hungry very quickly again (even if the breakfast is a high calorie one).

When I eat starches, grains, low-fat dairy, or sugars even from fruit; I have to balance it with protein and fat, or I feel starved.

I'll add nuts, whey protein, or even tvp granules (dry soy protein) to my oatmeal (if I add tvp I also add extra water).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:51 AM   #10  

I vote for adding an egg and or some nuts and losing some of that sugar. It is no trouble at all to take regular oats and nuke them w/ some water and milk plus spices. Less sugar, less processed and much more flavor!
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:52 AM   #11  

Or, follow IF and don't worry about bkfast in the morning!
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:42 AM   #12  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katbot24 View Post
So I've decided to be a good girl and eat my breakfast every morning. I've bought some Quakers high fiber oatmeal (I know that the plain stuff is better, but for now I opted for quick, easy, and tasty since it's easier to motivate myself to get out of bed that little bit earlier to eat it). After nuking it with some water I glob in a 1/2c of low-fat Activia (strawberry is the flavour I have). The problem is...I'm still hungry after eating it! I'll get dressed, walk to work and pass by the university food court on the way to my office and the smell of Tim Horton's breakfast sandwiches will destroy me. I'll usually brew up a cup of coffee with some skim milk and sweetener when I get up to my office and it makes me feel a little better.

Do I just have to get used to eating less? Should I get more protein?
Have one or two boiled eggs with it. Then you should be fine.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote