40-Somethings - 40-Somethings 4th of July Challenge!

guacamole
05-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Hello,everyone! The Memorial Day challenge really helped me further my goals. I wound up losing 5lbs, when my original goal was only 4! Of course, I am going with my low weight from last week before the Memorial Day binge fest I just had. I wouldn't be surprised if the scale is up by a few this morning, but I am not going to find out! It's back on track for me today. Hopefully this 4th of July challenge will get us is in even better shape for those Independence Day BBQs, shorts, tank tops, bathing suits, hot weather fun!

My goal is to -

Drink at least 8 cups of water per day

Lose 4 pounds, which would put me at 149 lbs (and a normal BMI weight!!!!)

Stick to an average of 9,000-9,300 calories per week

Take my vitamins every day

Exercise more

What are your goals for the 4th of July Challenge?

Sum38
05-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks Guacamole!

My goals;
~ weight goal ~ 5 pound loss.
~SW 145 GW 140 Which would mean; healthy BMI
~ upper body toning 3xweek
~ core training 3xweek
~ take 100000 steps per week.

guacamole
05-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Sum38 - We are both working toward healthy BMI weights! It has taken me so long to get this close...I almost can't believe it's going to happen soon. I became obese about 7 years ago, but I was in the overweight BMI category for much longer (although I didn't know anything about BMI measures until a few years ago). It's probably been about 13 years since I've had a healthy BMI weight (yikes!).

ICUwishing
05-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Guac, thanks for starting the thread! I've been a quasi-maintainer for several years, but after this weekend's holiday blowout, I was thinking yesterday that I really need a short-term focus to help me get closer to where I'd like to be. Six weeks will be just right.

I'm starting from 155.5 this morning, which is artificially high and will drop 2-3 this week ... so I'll start with:
* Drop 10 from today (145.5)
* Swim 15 times (laps or deep-water aerobics)
* Record EVERY bite!

beth4365
05-29-2012, 12:56 PM
May I join in?

If so, this will be the first challenge in which I've ever been a part.

I would like to lose 5 lbs by July 4th. That would put me at 194.5.

I have a pretty big challenge though. I will be taking students to Germany and Prague for a 10 day trip in the middle of June. I will get a lot of exercise, but have NO control over my food choices. Sometimes I lose on these trips. And, sometimes I gain. There isn't much wiggle room for me with this goal.

But, I'll give it a shot.

Best wishes to us all!

natamars
05-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Wow do I need this!!

OK, goals:

1) Start Belly Fat Cure after grocery shopping this week
2) Write down everything I eat
3) Exercise 6 days/week
4) Vitamins

cbigsis
05-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks for starting the new challenge guac!

I only ended up losing 3 pounds last month instead of the 5 I had wanted. So I'm going to go for a 5 pound loss again this challenge and hopefully I will make it. I am curious about trying the belly fat cure also. I'm going to check it out and if anyone has any hints and tips for me I would love to hear them!

So goals:

SW: 142, GW: 137
working toward getting rid of the last of my diet soda habit
water, water, water
up the intensity and speed in my running
add yoga! I am so tight I need more stretching badly

Good luck everyone!

Sum38
05-29-2012, 07:30 PM
cbigsis Check out http://www.jorgecruise.com/ (http://www.jorgecruise.com/).

When I started belly fat cure, I dropped 5 pounds in 7 or so days. It just removed a ton of bloat.

I find eating very easy and I am not skimping out on food. I make huge salads for lunch with 8 oz of chicken or even 12 oz of shrimp.

Biggest tip, keep added sugar to as close to 0 as you can, and even natural sugar low. he says 15g, I have been eating 20g -- I like tomatoes too much.

I started making my own salad dressing; olive oil, squirt of fancy mustard, some lemon and spices like paprika, garlic, oregano etc. Yum, yum; zero sugar!

ICUwishing
05-30-2012, 10:36 AM
I was wrong - we only have 35 days til 7/4. Wow! I am still going to stand by my drive for 10 pounds off, although it teeters into the unreasonably aggressive category. 2 of about 4 from weekend bloat are now gone, and I was on plan yesterday at just under 1500 cal.

Zumbachica
05-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Hello everyone!!! Guac thank you so much for starting this challenge. It is so nice to see you all again and some newbies too....the support here has been so important and motivating for me.

Okay so I was super successful at losing in the Memorial Day Challenge but as we all know it is so EASY to put that weight back on, especially when there is emotional turmoil going on like it is in my life. Also being at this weight at 45 is not the same as being at this weight at 25...Can I just say a big fat EWWWWWW....cellulite has taken over and I look like one big saggy mess......even my arms have sag and some cellulite which I never had before....to think that I teach Zumba!! So here are my goals

1. Maintain this weight, maybe lose two more lbs.
2. Water! I have been so slacking in drinking water....I need to step it up by making a point of drinking more of it and less coffee.
3. Okay for YEARS now Ive been saying I want to start lifting weights or doing some other type of resistance training because plain and simple Zumba is not enough to give me the results I want. Yes, a Zumba instructor just said that. So I need to find something that i like and stick to it. The Jillian Michaels Butt and Thigh DVD was HORRIBLE..I hated it....boring and repetitive. The movements gave me a back ache. Not sure what else to try....
4. Continue with the BFC but try and get more vegetables in and berries for fruit.
5. Supplements..I totally gave up vitamins, not sure why but Im feeling weak and need to start taking them again along with fish oil and maybe some Vitamin D which I know I am deficient in . (doctor tested me for it).

My next court date for my fugly divorce is around fourth of july so this is perfect timing...healthy body means healthy mind and I need to have it "together' to face whatever I need to face.

Thanks everyone for your support.....LETS DO THIS!

guacamole
05-30-2012, 01:02 PM
zumba - I so admire you for sticking to your diet goals through this emotional time! It really is inspirational to me, as I am so prone to emotional overeating. I will keep your determination in mind the next time I feel like binging or going off track when I am under stress.

Sum38 - Your salad dressing sounds tasty and easy - a recipe for success! I think I will try it. I really am doing a belly-fat-curish diet of low sugar, low carb, and high protein. I started doing this in May after a few week plateau, and it is working so far. The only problem is that I go off track on weekends, with higher carbs and sugars, so it slows down my progress.

cbigsis - You are really doing well! Congratulations on your success so far.

ICUwishing - Time is really flying by and 4th of July isn't far off. It can't hurt to shoot for 10 lbs, just as long as you realize that any amount lost during this challenge is a victory! Actually, even maintaining is victory, although I often have to remind myself of that repeatedly to believe it!

natamars -nice to see you here! It wouldn't be a challenge without you!

beth4365 - Sounds like an amazing trip! Your goals sound reasonable and hopefully the accountability of this thread will help you stay on track.

I am on track so far yesterday and today. I can see a healthy BMI weight right around the corner and I really want to reach it. Also, I have one more pound to go before I can say that I have lost a total of 60lbs! I really can't believe that all those little pounds lost in starts and stops have added up to so much. So, it's one foot in front of the other. March.....march...

KG123
05-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Goals for 4th of July :goodluck:Challenge:

Lose last 5 pounds
Maintain, maintain, maintain :drill:
Keep exercising!
Drink more water.

Good Luck to All! :carrot:

seagirl
05-31-2012, 08:46 AM
Ok, I'm at 185.2 today.
Goal:
Lose 3.5 pounds. (181.7)
Have at least 33 stars on my calendar (I get one for each workout, and one for one rest day per week.)
Finish Ruckus Obstacle Course race with no injuries.
Finish triathlon swim and bike legs with no injuries. (Friend is running for me.)
Go rock climbing again.
Eat one serving of veggies per day that isn't avocado (I have gut issues with a lot of veggies...)
And keep tracking every day no matter what.

ICUwishing
05-31-2012, 10:47 AM
3 down - as predicted I thought these would come back off pretty easily. Made the calorie goal. I sat down to figure out where I can fit in some swimming this week, and the times I have open are not the ones the pool has lap swim. Next week looks a lot better on the exercise front. For background, I have a DS12 who is deeply involved in choir and soccer. One of the choirs is over an hour away and has their final concert this weekend. I spend LOTS of time in the car! :) He's also winding up the school year; thus there are several evening performances that are mandatory attendance. Crazy week - but will persevere!

guacamole
05-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Congratulations to those staying on track. I veered off course last night, eating Memorial Day weekend leftovers which included pasta, cheese, and cheese cake. Gulp! I haven't gone off plan during the week in a very long time. This morning, I took all the remaining leftovers and threw them in the garbage. It is really hard for me to throw away food, because I feel so wasteful. However, no one else in my family was going to eat the remaining food, and it isn't healthy for me to eat it. I weighed myself this morning at 156. So, due to my overeating and binging on the weekend and last night, I put on 3 lbs! All I can do is pick myself up, dust myself off, and get back on track.

beth4365
05-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Thank you for welcoming me into the group, Guacamole!

I'm on plan and on track.

Best wishes to all of us!

NEMom
05-31-2012, 01:17 PM
I am a little late but would like to join in.

Today I am at 158 and by July 4th I want to lose 4lbs.
I need to stay on plan ALL day. Control my night eating
Drink water, water, water
Keep up on my exercise and add in a couple of ZUMBA classes - Have a groupon I need to put to use.
Add in more fruits and veggies

kandd416
05-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Howdy everyone! I thought I was losing my mind because I could find this group on the forum. I was looking in the chicks up for a challenge instead of the 40 somethings. How silly.

Wow everyone has lost tons of weight since the last challenge I was in here. I think that was the April one, so it's only been a month.

I'm still plugging away & am firmly into the 170's. My goal for this challenge is:

Get to 170 pounds which is a loss of 7 pounds (ambitious, but that's been my goal date for month's & I'm going to do it darn it)
Exercise 5 times per week
Get in 40 hours of physical activity in June (as measured by my BodyBugg)
Drink my water
And last but not least support others

KelStand
06-01-2012, 08:33 AM
I am in! My goals are as follows:

Continue weight & aerobic training...moving as much as I can.
Continue tracking my calories, etc. on myfitnesspal.com
Drinking water (ditching soda!)
Lose 4 lbs
Staying positive.

Good luck everyone! You are all such an inspiration to me!

Sum38
06-01-2012, 09:05 AM
Morning :sunny: (Actually :rain: today)

~ Official weigh-in day; a loss of 1 pound from last Friday. 1/5 done :D
~ Today is also my upper body and core training day. I have been quite good with that.
~ I took 19000 steps yesterday.
Therefore I have been sticking to my goals for the week.

Kelly: I like your goal about staying positive :hug:

kandd416; You can do it...summer is a great time to eat big salads and not heavy meals. Have you tired drinking greentea? I stopped drinking coffee, now I brew a pot of greentea and drink it hot with lemon at first and iced the rest of the day. It seems to curb my appetite and increses my energy level. Plus they say it may burn extra 80 cal per day ;) Hey extra 80 cal per day means 5 pound loss over one year.

NEMom; Nice goals!

guacamole You probably already dropped some of your water weight I hope?

ICUwishing I have a child who is very involved with HS bands. We live in a school district where marching band is HUGE and also the school has fantastic sit down bands...so I hear you :D We are constantly doing something, either competing, s&e's, concerts, performances.... I chaperoned all marching band competitions and those days were usually from 9 am-12 mid night. Yup makes it hard to take care of yourself when one is an involved mom :hug: Just keep your eating in check, and exercise when all settles down.

seagirl I like your star idea...I think I will steal it!!

KG123 Nice goals!!

Zumbachica I hope your ugly divorce will be over soon :hug: I am so sorry you are going through that!! We are here for you.

Sorry if I missed anyone. :wave: to those I missed.

ICUwishing
06-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Sorry about the flybys - I'll settle down and chat here in a few more days. :dizzy:

:wave: to all! A new month - woohoo!

Still at 152.5 - we had dinner out due to a school event, and while I ended up achieving a maintenance calorie level for the day - I can't say it was all on plan. However, I did log every bite into LoseIt, and I think I can meet my targets easily by averaging it into the week.

guacamole
06-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Hi everybody! Quick check in to say that I am still at 156 lbs as of this morning! Boo!!!!! Really trying not to beat myself up and catastrophize the weight gain. Any time I put on pounds, I get so scared that "This is the big one!" This is the point where I spiral out of control and gain all of the weight back and then some. It's just 3 lbs up. Better 3 pounds than 30, right? I will take it off....I have to!

cbigsis
06-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Hi everyone! I weighed today and basically the same as last week. 142.2 only down from 142.6 but I'm glad its not gone up.

Next week will be crazy. I will have family visiting all week and my son's hs graduation on the 9th. I am going to have to really focus on not overeating with likely extra snack food around. My whole family is overweight and we all LOVE food. So I just have to be strong and try my best not to overdo it. Also with hosting all week getting workouts in might be challenging. I'm hoping if its nice out my sister would be willing to go to the state park nearby with me and maybe walk with her boys on the trails while I run. Just trying to think how to not ignore them but still take care of me.

Sum: Thanks for that salad dressing recipe! we tried it yesterday and it was delicious!

guac: That 3 pounds will come right back off. Great job throwing away the leftover Memorial Day food. I hate to throw away food too but its better than eating it all myself!

zumba: Maybe focusing on yourself and staying healthy will be a good distraction from all the difficulty you are going through. And you will feel so good knowing you didn't backslide because of it!

TGIF!!!!

kirsteng
06-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm a little late to the party, but I'd like to throw my hat in for this one too! I am hoping for big results this month, as I've been working towards upping my thyroid levels over the past month and am suddenly starting to feel better.

My goals (by July 1 as that's the day we leave for a Caribbean vacation!) :D

* 8 glasses of water per day
* 1800 cals
* exercise every second day in some capacity (I had surgery to remove varicose veins 2 weeks ago so I can't do any heavy exercise for another week or two. But I can do abs/arms and walking)

Weight goals:

Current: 246
July 1 goal: 240

Good luck everyone and keep up the great work! :hug:

Zumbachica
06-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Hi everyone...welcome Kirsteng.

I'm trying to hang in there. Went out last night and had a slice of cake, i could just kick myself....the sugar cravings came right back today . I snuck a few spoons of ben and jerry's ice cream after having a fight with crazy husband. I can't wait until I can call him my "ex". He is going out of his way to instigate fights with me to try and prove that I am emotionally unstable. It is a horrible way to live in your own home. My lawyer says that there is nothing that I can do about it unless he hits me, and he is way too smart to do that. He'll just kill me slowly...

SO I turned to ice cream..and I need to not do that. I need to drop to the floor and do push ups instead...or maybe some chair dips......

I cannot let external forces make me eat. i am in control of me.

Thanks for listening.

Sum38
06-02-2012, 09:20 PM
I think I am "stuck" at 144-145. My body always does that. Oh well. I hope I won't get stuck for the next 6-8 weeks like I did at 152-154. -- I feel quite good about myself though. I am fitting into clothes from years back and looking svelte. So I am not going to freak about it. I will just stay on path, and eventually I will drop pounds and they usually come off quick....so maybe 8 weeks from now I will have a swoosh down to 136 :D
We went out to dinner last night, sushi. My FAV! I could only eat about 6 pieces :( I know they say that one's stomach does not shrink, but it sure feels like that it has. I was stuffed.

I got a new car on Friday. Red Mini Cooper with white top and racing stripes. It is awesome!! I just love it. If you knew me in person, you would go "oh it is so Kristiina" :lol: We needed to get a new car since we have 1 1/2 teenager drivers. My son will be driving full time on his own in a few months. We had kept my vehicle around just to pass it to him. -- I have been zipping around town all day long :lol3: -- I have been driving big SUV's for the past 20 years, this little thing is so limber...hehe

Sum38
06-02-2012, 09:27 PM
ICUwishing Maint. calories are awesome achievement on busy days. Congrats!

Guacamole I hope scale showed you some mercy today. Don't be too harsh on yourself. A few pound water gain is nothing considering how far you have come.

cbigsis :high: Hey, loss is a loss :D

kirsteng :welcome:

Zumbachica Stay strong my friend :hug:

Have a beautiful weekend all! :sunny:

envelope
06-03-2012, 01:17 AM
Hello All! I would love to join in this challenge. I am just getting back to into the swing of things after being side lined for a while.
My goal for the 4th of July is to lose 11lbs. I think this is attainable since some of which will be bloat.

guacamole
06-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Hello, everyone! So good to see everyone checking in and staying accountable. The scale is still up and it looks like I will have to really work to get the pounds off - it's not simply water weight like I had hoped. Why oh why is it so easy to pack on the pounds in a short period of time, yet sooo difficult to lose that same amount? It's not fair!!! Ok, enough whining! It's back on track for me today.

Have a great remainder of the weekend, everyone!

KelStand
06-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Hello, everybody! Welcome new members! I hope you find this group as encouraging and inspirational that I have!

The scales did not show any weight loss this week, but I didn't gain either....so I am not complaining. Even if I haven't lost much, I continue to feel better and better because of the more healthy eating and exercise!! :o)

Guacamole- Yes! 3 lbs is not 30lbs! Hang in there!

Sum 38- I hope you don't stay stuck for long!

Keep up the good work everyone! This isn't easy, but it can be done!

kandd416
06-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Good morning ladies.

I started my Ripped in 30 dvd again on Thursday after switching to another dvd for a month & on Friday my legs were killing me. I could barely walk up the stairs. But I did it again on Saturday (not going quite so deep on the squats or lunges) and felt great on Sunday. A lot of the exercises seemed way easier & I didn't have to modify them. So yay for getting fitter & stronger!

Kristiina, yay on the new car! My best friend has a Mini & loves it. It's such a sporty little car. I can just see you looking all hot in that bright red car :) Woohoo! I don't really care much for tea, but I have never tried the green tea, it might be worth a shot.

Cbigsis, good luck with staying OP with family & friends visiting. It does always seem to make it so much harder to stay on plan, but you can do it.

Zumba, I couldn't even imagine living with my ex while going through a divorce! That sounds horrible. Stay strong chickie! Our thoughts are with you.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Kim

guacamole
06-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Hello, everyone! I didn't brave the scale this morning. However, I did go for a 60 minute walk/jog, using a program on my iPhone to monitor my pace, progress, and calories burned. So far, I am on track with my eating today. I hope the cravings don't come back to sabotage me tonight! So far so good.

Good luck today, ladies!

natamars
06-04-2012, 07:50 PM
FINALLY started belly fat cure today. WAY too many bad carbs over the weekend - pizza and bagels. And no exercise.

So far I'm doing OK..I'm doing a really strict 2-week thing with it. I figure I can do anything for 2 weeks, right? Also did the stairs at work for about 35 minutes.

guac, sounds like you're having a great day!

kand, yay!

kel, great attitude!

envelope, welcome!

Sum, I am very jealous of your new car. Have fun with it!

zumba, I hear you, Chica! YOU are the one who inspired me with this BFC thing..I think you're as big a carb lover as I am, so we need to stay strong together! You have been doing AWESOME!

kirsten, great goals and for a great reason - vacation!

cbigsis, .4 counts

guacamole
06-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Stepped on the scal this morning to 154, so I am moving in the right direction. I hope I don't sabotage myself today, as I often seem to do that after a good day. It's like I think I have earned the right to go off plan and ease
up?

Good luck today, everyone!

ICUwishing
06-05-2012, 09:45 AM
:wave:
Stumbled hard over the weekend and am recovering. Two words for PMS: BITE ME!!! It's like an out-of-body experience. :p I'll go tonight to get my lap swim card renewed, and hopefully snag a 30 minute swim.

Sum38
06-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Hello from my busy life :sunny:

DD is about to graduate and DS plays or umpires baseball almost each day.

I ended up having a "spike day" on Sunday. After baseball filled day we did a team outing to a Mexican restaurant. I had nothing to drink ~ yup, I passed up on margaritas :high: for me, but over indulged on nachos :o So scale rewarded me with 4 1/2 pound water gain. I am at 145.5; two days later still up 1 1/2 pounds. How much does that suck! Tonight we have a banquet at a local country club and I really need to be mindful what I eat....so many THINGS that are food related in my life right now :mad:

I have kept walking and doing my ab and upper body training tho.

Everyone have a fab and fit day! Sending :dust: to all!

Sum38
06-05-2012, 12:06 PM
:welcome: envelope!

Kelly: Your swoosh will happen soon. No gain is excellent anyways. You may be having a break with me :)

Kim: Push those squats or lunges! Your butt will thank you :D

Guacamole: What is your running pace? -- Each day it gets better. You go girl!! Congrats on getting rid of most of that pesky salt gain.

natamars You will LOVE the flat belly diet. I have a pineapple turkey sweet and spicy recipe that is FBD approved and it is to die for! If you like to cook, and I can post it for you.

ICUwishing :lol3: you nailed PMS sooooo well! Hope you are feeling better today!

Zumbachica
06-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Hello !!! Holding steady at 132 lbs. Cheated today because my son came home after a school trip to Manhattan with donuts and babka...I was doomed but am okay with a little cheat after doing so well...

Nat!!! That two week BFC plan is great...its a good way to start off the plan...got me in control.....let's hope I stay there....

Reading up with everyone else....you all sound so motivating....yeah and PMS sucks!!!

kandd416
06-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Good morning ladies.

I weighed in today at 175.4. Down 2.2 pounds from last week! Woohoo! I was really good all of last week. I kept my calories down from what I usually eat & worked out 4 times. So I knew I would see some movement, but I was very excited to see this much. I'm just going to have to keep being good if I want to hit my goal for this challenge. And I'm going to do it darn it!

I've heard this Belly fat cure diet thing mentioned a couple of times now, so I looked it up. It sounds like the experts don't seem to think much about it. But, it sounds like it's worked for some of you. For those of you that've tried it, what do you think of it? And did you stick to the plan or modify it?

I'd like to have a nice little whoosh & am thinking about trying it.

Kristiina, I would love the recipe if you will post it. I'm always looking for something new & tasty that's actually good for me. I'm not too sure about my butt thanking me, but the hubby is loving the results!;)

Hope everyone has an OP day.
Kim

guacamole
06-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Tis the season, for PMS! Ah well...maybe it explains my bad eating last night on salty Chinese food and noodles - at least it was homemade so I know what went into it. I stepped on the scale and am still at 154, so if I can get in a good walk and stay on track with my eating, I still have a chance to get back to 153 by the end of the week.

Zumba - did you have to mention donuts or babka? Now I want some! If someone brought fresh baked goods through my door right now, I'd be all over them!

Keep moving forward, everyone!

NEMom
06-06-2012, 10:47 AM
I stepped on the scale today and it was dwon to 156.4. Down a a lb and a half. I will take it. I have been trying hard on keeping my food within calorie limits and drinking water.
I did not get up an exercise this morning like normal which I feel very guilty about. I need to get some movement in tonight.

Sum38
06-06-2012, 11:09 AM
I am going to fail this month.mway too many functions. I ate well last night at the banquet, but I was not hungry and went over my daily calories. I am 146.5 pounds. Up 2 1/2 pounds....I wanted to skip the dinner but it is not socially acceptable...lol...I loaded up on veggies and salad and only had a little bit of roast beef and mashed potatoes. I wanna see 130's SOOOO badI

Sum38
06-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Hehe...Kim...I was Gunna say that about your hubby :D

I am on my iPad right now...once I get to my laptop I will post the chili recipe. It is one of our favs right now. The belly fat diet, I love it because you can eat all veggies and lean protein you want. Just watch for sugar, even natural ones. My typical day is
Bfast
2 eggs, brown and organic...less cholesterol
2 slices of turkey bacon
Tomato slices

^^^^
If I have bfast, which I usually don't

Lunch
2 c salad, baby greens
1/2 cucumber
1/4 sweet pepper
1/4 sweet onion
1 tomato
1/2 avocado
Mushrooms
Carrots
Other veggies that are around the house
1/4 c feta cheese
8 oz chicken/ 6 oz salmon/ 12 oz shrimp
Dressing...olive oil with herbs, mustard and lemon juice

Dinner

Grilled chicken/ baked salmon or tuna/ grilled pork chops etc
Baby potatoes
Small salad with above dressing
Asparagus or broccoli
1 TBLS butter

Snacks
80% coco chocolate
Red wine (10 oz)

ICUwishing
06-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Got the swim card, got the schedule - will swim on Thursday and see how far I can get. Deep-water aerobics starts again next Tuesday - I will definitely be there for that! Dropped another 1/2 lb, but man, 1300 cals requires a lot of attention. Because of the family event coming up July 7, I decided to attempt 1 1/2 lbs per week. I'm seriously missing those extra 250 per day! :p Not something I want to do long-term, for sure.

Pushing on, regardless! :cheer:

natamars
06-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Day 3 of BFC 14-day program. I've modified quite a bit because I normally don't eat meat(I think the last time I'd eaten any was Thanksgiving) and I'd cut way back on eggs. So I'm eating things like eggs and turkey bacon for breakfast, grilled chicken and salad for lunch, and string cheese and nuts for snacks. You're also allowed a bit of extremely dark chocolate each day, which has been my salvation.

It's gone better than I expected, as I am a major sugar and carb addict, in fact my sugar had been out of control recently. But this morning I woke up feeling shaky and weak and had to ask my DH to bring me some low sugar iced tea/lemonade combo before I felt up to getting out of bed. Doing OK now. Down 1.4 so far, but I think most of the gain was really all the excess carbs over the weekend.

Gotta get back to work, will read more later. Oh, found out Monday that my job is not being eliminated after all. What a relief!!!

Zumbachica
06-06-2012, 02:48 PM
NAT: So happy that your job is safe!! That must be such a relief to you!! I noticed that we weigh the same now!! :carrot: I'm so glad that you like the BFC diet, and YES that square of dark chocolate is such a great reward to have at the end of the day....we are also allowed a glass of red wine....love this plan so much more than Atkins and in my opinion works just as well if not better. However I can't imagine doing it without eating meat!! I give you credit.

ICU: Great job on signing up for swimming. I teach a water aerobics class and it is a great workout..engages your core and works muscle as well as being cardio. So NOT EASY but easy on your joints. Have fun with it!!:smug:

SUN: Youll be seeing 130's soon...keep chugging along..you can do this..even with functions to attend..just try and make good choices...

NEmom: A loss is a loss is a loss!! Congrats!!!

Guac: sorry to mention those "illegal foods"...LOL..I won't say what they were again because I don't to tempt you ...LOL...I had what I had and I got it out of my system ...scale was up over a lb. and i'm not surprised. Its done and I know that this is a life long journey for me..so there are going to be days I have treats....thing is I need to get back on the wagon ASAP and not make it a binge which is what i did in the past.

As for me, what can I say. Just taking it moment by moment, day by day. These have been my darkest days....it seems like since my Dad died two years ago my life has been spiralling down ever since. Through it all I still manage to worry about my weight. I guess it allows me to control something in a time of my life that not much is under my control. Went shopping with a friend and tried on a pair of white capris...UGH...Losing weight is great but nothing looks the way it is supposed to. Going to do my Brazilian butt lift bum bum DVD .....I hated the Jillian Michaels one. Even though my whole body is mush I am trying to focus on lower body....If anyone has any suggestion let me know. I may just pump out some squats . Today my workout is HOUSEWORK..no small feat since I let things go..there are dust bunnies in my son's room that look like wooly mammoths..LOL..so back to work I go. I want us all to be be happy come July fourth......;)

ICUwishing
06-06-2012, 02:56 PM
zumba - your "woolly mammoths" remind me of a time my kid came to me and asked me for the rechargeable hand vacuum. As I was getting it for him, I asked what he was going to vacuum, and he said, "Under the bed. The dust bunnies have red eyes and fangs now." ROFLMAO!!!!

guacamole
06-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Just popped in to report that I walked for 60 minutes today! That's 3 days of exercise in a row! Looks like so many of us are doing the belly fat cure type thingy! I also had cut out eggs, and am now reincorporating them into my diet - basically I make an omelet or hard boiled eggs for breakfast instead of my usual fruity greek yogurt with kashi cereal. I also look much more closely at the sugar and fiber content of foods. The lower the sugar and higher the fiber, the better! I also cut out my morning raw sugar in my tea, and am sticking with coffee with skim milk - but now I am looking to substitute the skim milk (too high in sugars) with coconut milk - I happened to be in walmart today and looked around for some coconut milk, but no luck. I also saw almond milk, but I do have an allergy to raw almonds. I have been thinking about trying the almond milk to see if it affects me (I usually get an itchy mouth), but that's probably a bad idea. I don't want to use soy milk. I'll have to keep searching for the coconut milk. Anyway, I am slowly making substitutions for things that I used to eat even 1 or 2 months ago that might be lower in sugars and carbs. Oh, and I bought some hulled salt free sunflower kernels to snack on. I am also looking for flax seeds to sprinkle on salads or put inside wraps. I found a good wrap to satisfy my carb cravings that has a lot of fiber. There is quite a bit of sodium, so I am not going to overdo it with these, but it is nice to be able to make my wraps and have them fill me up longer because of the high fiber -

Ole Xtreme Wellness High Fiber Wrap - Whole Wheat High Fibre Low Carb Tortilla

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_iM79pdX0u6g/Spw8h1bzkuI/AAAAAAAACQ4/_iRFiex10yw/s400/0804091743a.jpg

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKtuzkZ5fR6C77qPBo48kSh4W6INU3m 9ND1VBuUEMx8hRkMjpn3v5kXg8N

Have any of you tried these?

envelope
06-07-2012, 10:34 AM
I finished up the school year and am ready to enjoy the summer! I ate healthy at the end of the year picnic, and completely avoided the desert table.

natamars
06-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Day 4. It's actually getting easier. I've proven what I suspected, that a lot of my eating wasn't ut of hunger but boredom/cravings. Because now that I'm only eating certain foods, I'm eating a lot less, especially at night.

Did about 45 minutes of stairs with a little walking yesterday. Scale is down another .6 - yay! Too bad it won't keep going like this.

envelope, YAY on the school year being done and doing well at the picnic. My son's school has theirs this Friday, but we bring our own food and just share desserts, which I'm totaly avoiding anyway. What do you do for the summer?

guac, thanks for posting the info on the wrap - looks great! I'm doing extreme low carb for at leats 2 weeks, maybe longer if it keeps going well, then i'll be looking for options like that too.

Zumba, no, 132 is my goal weight for this challenge! I started it at 138.8. Down 2 lbs. so far. Listen, this time you stay low and I'll try to get down to you, OK ;) I think once I get rid of the extra belly fat I'll be coming to you with toning issues and focusing on that.

Have a wonderful day, all!!

ICUwishing
06-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Me, I'm emerging from the chaos of choir, soccer, year-end programs and everybody else's business. My mom asked me what I was going to do with all my recaptured free time, and I said, "go back to the pool". To which she says, "Well, that's all you need, one more thing to do." And I respond, "Sure, but this one's all for me." Bless her heart, she has trouble sometimes with imagining that one would exercise as recreation instead of obligation. I should be quiet on that; I have been guilty of that same thought process for a long time. My calorie targets right now are lower than I've ever had them (1300), in an effort to lose 1 1/2 #/week. I don't like it much because it requires a lot of attention and very careful choices to avoid ravenous hunger. It becomes impossible to work in a beer or a glass of wine, which is way out of line with how I want to live. So, I guess that means I am truly "dieting". Ick. C'mon, 4th of July ...! For the record, I'll be revising back up to 1800, which is generally good for about 2lbs per month for me. I'd still like to get to 140, just to see how it looks - it's been about 20 years!

Sum38
06-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Crock Pot Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Turkey Chili
Submitted by: LERBICELLA

A sweet little twist on the classic turkey chili...
Minutes to Prepare: 15
Minutes to Cook: 150
Number of Servings: 5

Ingredients

1 Package - 99% Fat Free Ground Turkey (I use Shday Brook Farms, which only comes in 1.23 lb, or about 3 lb pacakges. I use the 1.23 lb package for this recipe)
1 can - Kidney beans (do not drain liquid)
12 oz. - Any tomato sauce (homemade or jar)
1/2 jar - Mexican Style Smooth Pineapple Chile Salsa
5 oz. - Crushed Pineapple (I use Dole crushed pineapple in juice)
Chili Powder (as much or as little as suits your taste)

Directions
- Brown the turkey over medium heat until no longer pink.
- Drain any excess fat.
- Combine all ingredients in a crock pot.
- Cook on high for 2.5 hours.
- Top with low fat sharp cheddar or fat free sour cream, if it suits you.

Tip: This dish tends to have a little kick to it due to the Pineapple Chile Salsa, so if you prefer something a little less spicy, I recommend skipping the extra chili powder.

Makes approximately 5-6 servings.

Number of Servings: 5

CALORIES: 172.6 | FAT: 2.6g | PROTEIN: 24g | CARBS: 14.6g | FIBER: 2.1g

I have been adding; red pepper, corn and sweet onion.

guacamole
06-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Sum38 - your chili recipe sounds fantastic! FYI, this week I used a Pineapple/Peach/Jalapeno salsa to bake with salmon and white fish - came out awesome!

ICUwishing - Welcome to summer! You are doing fantastic. I am nervous because my kids finish school next week and it is really hard to stay on program when I have to make meals and snacks for them. I am definitely a mom who eats her kid's food! Summer vacation is a hard time to stay on track for me.

natamars - glad the low carb diet is going well. I found that some of the foods I was eating caused cravings and hunger. It's great that you are experimenting and finding what works for you.

envelope - great job on staying on plan at the picnic! I know how hard that is to do.

I weighed in the morning at 154 again. I really wanted to go into the weekend at 153, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I hope I can stay strong over the weekend and not shoot back up again by Sunday/Monday!

kandd416
06-07-2012, 04:28 PM
I do have to say that I love how active this thread is & how supportive everyone is. You all are truly a great bunch of women.

ICU, I see (Ha!) that you are also from Michigan, where abouts? Both myself & Sum38 (Kristiina) are from MI too.

Kristiina, I will definitely have to try that recipe. I'm also going to have to look into this BFC diet. I'm game to try new things, but like a lot of the ladies in this group, I love my carbs.

Guac, what size are those tortillas? They look like they're about an 8" or so. You'll have to let us know how they are. I know we don't have any of those at my grocery store, because I was just looking for a low carb tortilla yesterday. I couldn't find one that was flour & I don't care too much for the corn ones. :(

Have a great day everyone.
Kim

NEMom
06-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Scale was back up to 158 this morning. I am hoping it is water retention because I have been on plan this week. Have even eliminated my protein drink at night if I am out of calories for the day.
I know the scale fluxates from day to day and even after all this time, it still upsets me.
I will lose these lbs b July 4th.

ICUwishing
06-08-2012, 01:56 PM
ICU, I see (Ha!) that you are also from Michigan, where abouts? Both myself & Sum38 (Kristiina) are from MI too.
kandd416, I'm in Fenton, between Flint and Ann Arbor. :) You?

Zumbachica, thanks - I've been a competitive swimmer for a looooong time, but nothing kicks my butt like the deep-water aerobics. Lovelovelovelove it!!! I am thrilled to death that it's popular enough that the newest schedule for the pool has it twice per week! I hope you get some relief from the downward spiral soon; losing a parent must be awful (I haven't had to go through it yet). :hug:

guac, I think the almond milk would depend on the brand. Some are processed at high temperatures, but there are others that aren't. Coconut milk is a wonderful creation if you can find it. :) I don't do well with weekends - a whole summer at home would be a real issue for me! The camping we have planned is scary too!

envelope, congrats on avoiding the dessert table! Not easy at all. I sympathize - I've had to decline both an incredible lime coffee-cake thing, and chocolate chip cookies this morning. But if I don't have the calories for a beer, I sure don't have them for a cookie!

natamars, I have the same issue with boredom and cravings. And habit - just plain old habit of bigger servings. Cutting back hasn't meant any energy shortages or functional concerns; I just miss the feeling of being FULL.

Sum38 - the turkey chili sounds really, really good! I printed that one and will try to break into the kitchen to try it. I see opportunities for a sneaky habanero. :D

NEMom, we have discussions all the time over in Maintainers about how those numbers mess with our heads! We tend to call maintenance "yo-yoing on a short string". :p Updownupdownupdown ...

I'm just plugging along too. I did get in 20 minutes of lap swimming yesterday; I didn't keep track of my yardage - probably covered about 1000 yds or so. At 45, I have finally learned not to jump in and go for 3000 yds after being out for months ... ;) Likely the fast loss is now done and it will be much more of a grind from here on out.

envelope
06-08-2012, 03:01 PM
guacamole - Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that the scale is just a number, and there is so much more to losing weight than just that number.

Sum38 - I plan on making the chili soon!

natamars - I am going to do some tutoring this summer, volunteer for a kids camp, and play with my kids. :) The last 3 summers have been packed with classes, this summer I am only taking 1!
It is crazy, but to keep myself from eating too much at night I have to make sure I have eaten enough during the day...even when I do not realize I am hungry. If I do not eat ballanced all day, I almost always eat too much at night.

kandd416 - This really is a great group of woman, I have to confess...I am not quite 40, but I feel like this is the right place for me. 40 and active, I love all of the positive energy.

NEMom - keep doing what is best for your body and the scale will catch up eventually.

ICUwishing - I am building in a few calories for weekend wine. :) I would rather have a nice drink than a cookie too.
When I go camping, I bring lots or raw vegis to munch on or grill over the fire.

Hope you all are having a great day!

natamars
06-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Day 5 on BFC..sloppier with the sugar the last 2 days. Ate 3 small chocolates last night and 3 small cookies today. Oh, and 1 chocolate tonight. Posting here before I go back for more.

Ate NOTHING at the school picnic, just drank a water.

Interestingly, though I'm only down 1.8, I'm seeing my body fat % drop on my scale. I know it's not totally accurate, but it's been very consistent, and I'm definitely seeing a change.

ICU, that's WONDERFUL on the swimming, and great you're getting to do something youn enjoy.

NEMom, I'm sure that's water retention - you have the right attitude!

kand, there are great women here! I have to learn my lesson to keep checking in every day when things get rough and not to stay away!!

Zumbachica
06-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Hello Friends :hug:

Natamars: When we are consistent then the cookies and minor fails don't effect us AS MUCH.....you're doing well.....

Kim..I agree this thread has a great bunch of women. I look forward to coming here and reading up on everyone's progress.

Envelope: great job avoiding the dessert table.......I don't think I would be able to!

Guac!!! you are doing AWESOME on the exercise...great job!! I have to look for those tortillas. I am finally ready to start allowing "some bread" into my diet, berries and an occasional cheat. I need to be careful though. I gained 1.8 lbs already, and I know I can easily gain another ten in the blink of an eye. ;) I found coconut milk at Whole Foods, and I've seen it in the supermarket but in New York you can find anything anywhere. Im ashamed to say though that it just sat in the frig and I never used it..I probably threw it out after it expired. My plan was to make shakes with it but I never got around to it.....My whole life has been thrown off kilter and although I have good intentions I don't get around to doing what I set out to do...it's a horrible way to live....I plan on doing a brazilian butt lift DVD today to work my butt..my biggest problem area...then tomorrow i'm going to go outside my comfort zone and walk into a yoga studio. I really think I need something like yoga in my life right now. For mental health..and I also notice there are people with great muscle tone that JUST do yoga.....makes me wonder what they know that I don't.....I have yet to see a heavy set yogi.....I just don't know what kind of yoga class to take, there are so many different kinds......

Going out tonight :carrot: wondering what I can order to drink that won't send my carb level over the edge. Diet coke and vodka? red wine? water? LOL....I'll figure it out......Need to get to that goal weight..yes, its just a number and doesn't represent my overall health, yet I think I need to see it just for me.....a personal victory so to speak...

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everybody!!!

KelStand
06-09-2012, 06:15 PM
I haven't checked in for a while. These have been stressful days! And I am ashamed I have ate a few more chips than I should have today! TOM is in full force....I am finishing up my Master's Thesis which is due Tuesday....have four loooonnnggg chapters to read for Education Law.....poor me! :o)
I don't dare step on the scale....I will in a few days! But, despite the chips and may a few too many almonds....I have stuck to my other goals pretty well. I didn't exercise today, but I just can't on some days.
Thanks for allowing me my pity party! Reading your posts made me feel much better! Have a good week!

natamars
06-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Day 7. Getting discouraged. Still down 2 net. I was at a kids' party last night and turned down pizza, cake, and black and white cookies(my favorites). And got on the scale this morning and was up .2 from yesterday.

Going for a jog this morning and will try to stay on plan. One more week and I'll re-evaluate. One thing I did notice - yesterday morning I ran out of on-plan food and had some lowfat milk in my coffee and a small granola bar to keep me from shaking until I could get to the store. My stomach was cramping for hours!! I felt so bloated and awful.

Kel, good luck with your thesis!! How exciting and nerve-wracking for you!! How relieved you will be in just a few days!!

Zumba, how was your night out? Hope you had fun!!

ICUwishing
06-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Had a Saturday come in under calorie budget! DH actually listened to my request, and baked the walleye instead of frying it! Spent the day at DS12's soccer tourney and got some mild sunburn; scale ticked up just a little. Mine only measures to the 0.5 - I like that cuz it keeps me from freaking over tenths of a pound. ;)

seagirl
06-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Ok, I'm at 185.2 today.
Goal:
Lose 3.5 pounds. (181.7)
Have at least 33 stars on my calendar (I get one for each workout, and one for one rest day per week.)
Finish triathlon swim and bike legs with no injuries. (Friend is running for me.)
Go rock climbing again.
Eat one serving of veggies per day that isn't avocado (I have gut issues with a lot of veggies...)

Checking in....
I'm down to 184.2.
I slacked on exercise last week, but I got 2 stars yesterday and will get 2 today - for my bike & swim triathlon practice.
I've been doing ok with the veggies... I think I'm going to make some broccoli soup to help me out.
I have been tracking my food ever single day! Even the day I was puking my guts out half the day and when I finally felt better all I could eat were doritos and ginger ale and a piece of bread. And the day after that when I was so hungry I could have eaten a horse. Interesting to see that my body pretty much needed to make up for the calorie deficit.

envelope
06-10-2012, 11:13 PM
I have had a good weekend. I am enjoying the start of summer, and staying on plan!!!

Hoping the scale moves a little more for tomorrow's weigh in.

ICUwishing
06-11-2012, 08:07 AM
And now we begin the hard part - where the scale doesn't go down day after day. :lol: I'm up - and it's probably due to gorging on strawberries (the high fiber, not the calories!) and eating at maintenance instead of loss levels yesterday. Yesterday wasn't a horrible day, but it wasn't as good as they've been. This week's task - bust the 150's.

cbigsis
06-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi everyone. Time for me to get back on track. After having family visiting all last week, practically no workouts and then the big graduation party this weekend the scale is up to 145.4!! :( I don't think I will check again until Friday, its just too depressing. Most of the party food is gone which is great. No tempting leftovers. Only the veggies for some reason! hehe

nat, hopefully you will see more results soon! Its very frustrating when the scale doesn't move.

ICU, 140s will be here before you know it!!

seagirl, nice job tracking your food and exercise! I need to really get tough with myself with that again this week.

natamars
06-11-2012, 12:14 PM
UGH ugh ugh. So yesterday I weighed myself during the day and the scale was up. Got so mad that I ate ice cream last night - not a ton, maybe 200 calories worth. So I pledge that through Saturday I will stick to the BFC plan and I will not weigh in again until Friday, because it is making me even crazier than usual.

guacamole
06-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Hi, all! Weekend eating was atrocious. Tons of graduation and birthday parties, a dinner party at a friend's house on Friday, a huge amount of company over for lunch at my house on Saturday, big party Sunday night - I weighed in at 155 this morning. Ugh! Also, I am right in the eye of the "red storm" in terms of my period. Our society revolves so much around food, and if you don't participate you are left out. I try to make better choices and control my portions, but aside from a vegetable or fruit tray (and I ate from both), none of the other party foods were dietetic. I didn't indulge in alcohol or soda and stuck with water. However, I had so many fried appetizers, cake, carbs. Even as I was eating, I was regretting! Whatever, back on track today, plodding along as usual on a Monday, trying to relose weight I already lost the week before! Will this cycle ever end? I am so sick of this.

kandd416
06-11-2012, 03:13 PM
ICU, I'm from the Belleville area. I know exactly where Fenton is. You're doing so great, so don't discouraged by a day or two. If you've been OP with your food & exercise that scale is going to have to eventually cooperate.

Seagirl, congrats on your loss. Glad you're feeling better.

Natmars, sorry you're not having great results with the BFC. Maybe not weighing for a day or two will be the step back from it you need. You've lost so much since my first challenge with you, so I know you'll get where you want to be.

Guac, I hear you so much. I sometimes get so disgusted by undoing all of a week or two's hard work with a small little splurge over the weekend. But you can't let yourself dwell on it, just get right back on track. You'll get there.

Hope everyone has a great day,
Kim

NEMom
06-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Misery loves company, I am so glad to see that my scale is not the only one showing the wrong numbers today. Stepped on this moring and its back up to 161 and I did not feel like I had a terrible weekend. I had a couple pieces of pizza on Friday but all in all, the calories were at my maintenance level. Saturday was good for the most part and Sunday was not too bad, except for a couple pieces of fudge but I did not eat enough for the scale to go up 4 lbs.
I am getting pretty depressed over this whole yo yoing thing. I should be loving my new summer cloths but all I can think about is how FAT my stomach still is. UGH. Hoping for a better week.

Zumbachica
06-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Well y'all add me to the cheaters club! Went out Saturday and had a few beers, not the best choice carb wise. Then Sunday a friend invited me over for salad but she wound up making hot dogs too and I had two of those with the buns....I felt SICK afterwards....body is so not used to bread anymore. I felt so disgusted afterwards....she also put out chocolate chip cookies....I don't blame her but she is supposed to be doing low carb WITH me. The temptation was too great. BUT back on the wagon we go.......We'll all be fine.....on the way to our goal there are setbacks..and the setbacks continue throughout maintenance because we are human. I knew a woman that lost 100 lbs and kept it off for years and she said she had her days that she "lost it" but those days are few and far in between. It doesn't turn into a two week binge. If you notice skinny people eat when they go out or at a party, the difference is then they stop....whereas a person like me will keep the party going for a month! I refuse to hurt myself with food anymore, there are enough other people willing to hurt me without me doing it to myself.

ICUwishing
06-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Weekend bloat is back off, thankfully. I swam a few laps last night (1200yds) and got out before anything started to hurt; man, it sucks to be starting over! Tonight is deep-water aerobics. Yay!

Hang in there, chicks - Friday is, I believe, the halfway point to the 4th! There's plenty of time to recover and finish it strong! :dust:

guacamole
06-12-2012, 11:44 AM
You ladies keep me strong - I appreciate each and every one of you!

Zumba - your post is so on target. As long as we don't let one bad day or one bad week turn into a bad month or more, we can move forward. A few people have the quote on here that successful weight loss doesn't take perfection but persistence. That is so true, because it's so easy to get frustrated and give up!

I stepped on the scale today to 152lbs, which is a new low for me and puts me at 60lbs lost. I know that might not be a true number and the scale might pop back up tomorrow, but it was still nice to see. So, here's hoping that I can stay on track today. Now I am focused on hitting 151. Can I get there?

Good luck today, ladies!

cbigsis
06-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Zumba your post was so needed for me today! I did overdo it on the weekend. I made sure I enjoyed it because it was a special time with my son graduating, not spend too much time feeling guilty about it. But now its time to get back on track and not let the party turn into an easy path back to bad habits. Today one of my daycare parents brought over a choc chip pudding cake for the kids. It was delicious and I ate more than I should have. I really should have left it alone entirely as I had more than enough treats over the weekend. But I didn't. I can get frustrated with myself but I find that just tends to make me do more self destructive eating so instead I will just make a plan to eat a light dinner and drink lots of water and move on. That's the best I can do.

Good luck everyone with your goals!!

envelope
06-13-2012, 09:07 AM
1-Jun 199.8
6-Jun 194.6
13-Jun 192.6
20-Jun 193.0
27-Jun
4-Jul

After sitting around working on the computer all day, I did not think I would reach my step goals for the day. Then I decided to watch an episode of Extreme Makeover, weight loss edition while on my elyptical.

guacamole
06-13-2012, 09:59 AM
cbigsis - Did you have to mention chocolate chip pudding cake? I have no idea what that is, but it sounds terrific!

envelope - I love how you turned things upside down and hopped on your elliptical. Good job!

I guess I am experiencing a bit of a post-period (even though it's still not quite over yet) whoosh! I weighed in at 151 today! I hope I can stay strong today and not blow my new low - as I always seem to do! What is wrong with me?

Good luck, today!

NEMom
06-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Must have dropped some water weight because my scale was down to 157 this morning. I have my first ZUMBA class tonight. I am totally uncoordinated so I am sure to look like a total idoit.

andrew80k
06-13-2012, 10:41 AM
I feel like the proverbial prodigal son... :D

I didn't see a chat thread this month, but I saw some stuff going on in here so I thought I'd drop in and submit an update. I have the busiest job I've ever had in my life and that's saying something. Leaves me very little time to post and stuff.

Anyway, I'm back from a few weeks at maintenance. Mostly just because I got tired of keeping track of every single morsel. I meant to only go for about 2-3 weeks, but since I didn't have a concrete date in mind I ended up going 5 weeks. Ugh! Good news is I didn't gain any. Bad news is I didn't lose any. Now I'm behind on my plan a little. So I'm back to hardcore food control and work outs. I started back on June 4th and am down 2.4 pounds since then. I'm looking to get down to around 210 for my next goal. Was hoping to be there by July 4th, but that might be a stretch now. We'll see how it goes. Back to running 3 miles 3 times a week. Tonight is run night. Lifting 3 other nights.

Good to see you guys hanging in there and making progress. I'll try to check in more often. :)

kandd416
06-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Nice to see that everyone who slipped this weekend is right back on track, or working to get back on.

Guac, I love that quote & it totally does describe the whole mindset needed for successfull dieting. Persistance.

Envelope, great job on making a choice that's much better for you. Small steps make a journey.

Andrew, nice to see you again. It's great that you were able to take 5 weeks off & not gain. Way to go!

As for me, here's my weigh ins:

5/30/12 177.6
6/6/12 175.4
6/13/12 176.6 (TOM)

I wasn't able to get 5 workouts in last week, but did manage to get in 4. Because I've been working late constantly & it's hard to get my workouts done in the evening, I started doing a morning workout this week. Of course, Monday I couldn't get out of bed early enough lol, but I managed to drag myself out yesterday & today.

I'm still feeling pretty good about hitting my goal of 170 for the 4th. I know it's going to be pretty tight, but I've really been on track so far this month. I just need to stay there.

Have a great OP day everyone,
Kim

kandd416
06-13-2012, 04:01 PM
NEMom, have fun with the Zumba. I have absolutely no rythm but it can be a blast. How are you doing with the quitting smoking btw?

KelStand
06-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Hello, everybody! I am feeling more myself these days. On top of TOM, I have had some upper respitory thing going on....yuck! So, I hadn't exercised as much and feel yucky & pudgy!
Then I read post here and begin to feel better! :o) I have walked some....and went to Zumba today...
I really, really feel like the scales should go down this week! :o)
Have a good week!

natamars
06-13-2012, 10:36 PM
still struggling with BFC. I don't think it's the plan for me. Thinking of trying to eliminate the night eating again, because that's when I tend to be unhealthiest. I have been so schlumpy lately - I think it's this muggy, dreary weather here in NY. It's supposed to break tomorrow, thank goodness. Forced myself out for a jog tonight and felt better - walked .8 miles and ran 2.4 @ about a 10 minute mile pace. Only had a small snack after work and cut myself off quickly.

kandd, 4 workouts for the week is great. And it's 4 more than the majority of people do.

andrew, great to see you! sounds like you did great on your maintenance break and really kept things under control. good for you!

NEMom, how was the class? I love Zumba but they changed the schedule at my gym and now I can't make it to the classes.

guac, YAY on your whoosh!! Remember how great you feel right now and keep it going forward.

envelope, nice loss for the week!!

cbigsis, that's the attitude we all need to have. If you fell down one step you wouldn't throw yourself down the rest of the flight, right? I keep having to remind myself of this as well.

zumba, hope you were ab le to get right back on the wagon..I know it's hard, esp since you're pretty much at your weight goal and focusing more on fitness. I ate some Greek frozen yogurt the other night after having cut way back on carbs, and got so ill!!! Yet a few hours later I ate 2 chocolate cookies. What is wrong with me??

Goal for tomorrow is to eat on plan and cut off calories by 4PM.

ICUwishing
06-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Plugging away and staying on track. This week's calories have been right on target. I am REALLY sore from water aerobics on Tuesday - you know you're out of shape when the worst of the aches don't come on til the second day after! :lol: I'll be going back tonight, though it feels vaguely masochistic. :D

NEMom
06-14-2012, 11:12 AM
ZUMBA was good. Once I realized that people were not staring at me and laughing at how uncoordinated I was, I was able to relax and enjoy it. I sweated like a pig thats for sure. I am going to keep up with ZUMBA for a while (I have a punch card for 10 classes). I really need to work on my cardio but I have to say, I would rather go to a good boot camp class or lift some weights just because my cardio is so bad.
Food was pretty good yesterday. Goal today is to keep eating

Andrew - Good to see ya back. Congrats on being able to maintain!

guacamole
06-14-2012, 11:43 AM
NEMom - good for you for trying Zumba! It's great that you were willing to go outside your comfort zone - and maybe you have found something you will enjoy doing on a regular basis.

ICUwishing - great job on the exercise. I used to love water aerobics - it's hard to find the time and money to fit it back into my schedule these days.

natamars - night eating is a challenge. I have a usual cut off point around 6:30-7:00pm on week nights. 7pm is the usually the latest time I am finishing dinner on a weeknight. After I am done with dinner, I don't have anything except water. I had to train myself to do that over a few month period, because I used to regularly engage in night time snacking. As far as BFC goes, I took a few pointers from what I read online about the diet, and the rest I shelved. Take what works for you about the diet, and don't sweat it if the plan as a whole doesn't work for you.

KelStand - feel better soon! I hope the scale cooperates this week for you!

kandd416 - you are doing great! You really seem motivated to hit your goal by the 4th! I hope I can hit my goal of 149lbs. If I can stop slipping up over the weekend, I can do it.

andrew80k - welcome back! We all need a "metal health break" from this journey sometimes. As long as we treat is a break and not complete break-up, we'll do ok.

I weighed in at 152 today. I did eat 3 of those low carb OLE wraps and some higher sodium Morningstar crumble. Hopefully, it's water weight. I have a BBQ to attend tonight, so I am being extra careful today so I have enough calories/carbs/sugars saved up for my larger evening meal. Kids are all home, so I will be cooking and preparing snacks for them all day - I hope I don't waver from my plan!

Good luck today, everybody!

natamars
06-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Down 1.2 for the week - yay!! I need to feel like I am firmly under that 137 set point. I've also got to work out something better for exercise. I've been doing some jogging(planning on a half-marathon in October) and some elliptical, but that's it. I need to challenge myself more. My son's sports all end for the season this weekend, so that will free up quite a bit of time. I go to every practice and game for soccer, baseball, and swimming.

guac, drink lots of water today and move on from the BBQ - don't let yourself extend the indulgence. We're here for you.

NEMom, sounds like you had a great workout! It's true, no one has time to watch anyone else, they're too busy trying not to fall down themselves!

ICU, sounds like you're doing great with food AND exercise - wtg!

TGIF!!

ICUwishing
06-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Department potluck this afternoon for lunch, and the neighbors are having us over for dinner tonight (pizza, likely). Going to a Bar Mitzvah and lunch tomorrow. So, there's some hurdles to overcome near term! I have to call yesterday an off-plan day, even though my target is a calorie count. I've learned it's not a good idea to eat dinner before water aerobics (:barf:) - but I don't do a very good job of eating the right things, like the missed meal, when I get home. At least there was a banana ... :dizzy: And I did enter it all in my LoseIt log. Much room for improvement! The scale teased me with going back and forth between 149.5 and 150 this morning, before picking the higher number.

Halfway point is today!

cbigsis
06-15-2012, 11:07 AM
142.8 this morning and I'll take it! I really struggled getting back on plan with my eating this week. Even yesterday I was doing great until I decided to eat 2 handfulls of choc chips for no reason at all. grrrrrrr!! Workouts have been great though, and I have been drinking water til I float so that must have helped. I have a plan for making all but fathers day brunch healthy this weekend so I am hoping the weekend doesn't undo much of the progress I have attempted to get back this week.

NEmom: I'm glad you liked ZUMBA! I have never tried it and I know exactly what you mean about weight training being much easier than cardio. I am a total cardio crybaby but I keep plugging along. I definitely see better results with weight loss when I have a good balance of both. I think that's why I try to do some races. I'm so slow but it gives me goals to work toward and improvements to make so I don't get as bored and annoyed with the fact that its cardio.

guac: I agree with nat, just drink lots of water and try to move on. Overall you have been doing fantastic!

nat: Great job on the weight loss!!! And good luck on the half marathon! I want to do some duathlons this summer/fall but definitely need a better bike. I don't want to spend a ton as its really more for fun than being super competetive for me. But the bike I have is a monster. LOL its a "comfort" bike so weighs about 20 extra pounds with the shocks, giant wheels and cushy seat.

ICU: Good luck with all the social food obstacles. I try to make some good choices and then focus more on the social part than the food part. Or I hang on to a water bottle if I can to keep my hands full so I can't keep grabbing for food. LOL

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Zumbachica
06-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi all...I'm still in the game but have to admit I've been finding it easier and easier to cheat. Not eating junk food but eating bread and the stuff on the "no" list. Like pizza. I also shared a dessert the other night when I went out with friends for dinner..that was the first time in a long time that I had sugar. I don't miss it all that much, but hand me a loaf of good bread and I can go to town!! I'm feeling so much more comfortable in my clothes and Love that feeling and I don't want to screw this up!!

I heard y'all talking about Zumba. As you may not or may know I am an instructor and I can tell you that noone is looking at you in class and laughing or passing judgement. Everyone else is too busy looking at the instructor!! It feels more natural every time you go and you can burn a good amount of calories doing it. It's a great fitness program but you should not give up weight training...I wish I were doing more in terms of fitness...I guess I'm just lazy. My job is to help other people work out but then i don't do anything for ME.....If I had the time and the energy I would do some hard core weight training....muscle tone just disappears after forty..you can be at a low weight but look like a bag of jiggle..isn't it sad? My thighs are a horror show.....so I guess my goal is to really try and firm up a bit....

Everybody hang in there!!!

Sum38
06-16-2012, 08:11 PM
still here....hiding a bit...4 pound gain for the week... :eek: :yikes:

natamars
06-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Way too many carbs the last 2 days..been going a little crazy since I added them back. Not the greatest choices. I think my calories have been OK since I can't eat so much - I've actually stopped eating or drinking and left food behind rather than finishing a serving - shocking for me! I've also been cutting my calories off at 4PM since the stuff I've been eating at night has basically no nutritional value anyway. No exercise the last 2 days - blegh.

sum, don't hide when you have a gain..keep posting. We've all been there!

zumba, you sound like you're still fighting the good fight - keep it up, girl!

cbigsis, you're doing great! Hope the weekend is going well.

ICU, sounds like a challenging weekend, but I know you're up for it!!

I have made enough baked oatmeal and crustless quiches to get me through all of next week, plus a huge salad. I've got some chicken breast and turkey ready to go too. We'll go out to b'fast for Father's Day b'fast and I'll probably get an egg white omelette. Bring it on!!!

KelStand
06-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Hello! I just posted on the weekly weigh-in so I thought I'd pay a visit here. I love this forum....I also feel so inspired and not so discouraged after I read all of your posts!

Unfortuately I was up again this week, which I am suprised. I really thought I would be down. I have watched what I ate....Zumba-ed...lifted weights...yada, yada,yada. My clothes are fitting better and my waist was a little smaller.

I don't know why I am not losing! Maybe it is stress. I am finishing my graduate studies this week and doing my thesis and all the work for the last class has been crazy. It could be my thyroid meds aren't quite right. Maybe I am munching more than I think. Who knows!? It's just driving me crazy! :0)

Zum- I didn't realize you were an instructor! I really enjoy Zumba and have lately thought about becoming an instructor. I think it would be a great way to keep exercise as a part of my life and I do love to teach! And I don't think one dessert in a while will hurt you a bit! I hope you enjoyed it!

Sum- I feel your "pain", girlfriend! Hang in there and don't hide from us!!! We are all in this together.

NeMom- you will be dancing like the Zumba instructor before you know it! Just have fun with it!

Guac- I am sure its water weight!!! You are doing great!

Cbig- Good job!! Any loss is good!

ICU- Sometimes its hard to maintain a diet with so much going on! Just think portion size and keep them small!

Natmar- you are probably on the right track with cutting off calories earlier in the day....maybe I will give that a try! :o)

Take care everyone!

guacamole
06-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Fly by check in here - really busy long weekend

Big organizational BBQ Thursday night

Birthday party on Friday

Big lunch at friend's house on Saturday

Big family Father's Day BBQ today on Sunday

Honestly, I tried to be good with portions, but everything I ate was completely off plan. Carbs and sugar galore. I really felt it in my mood - honestly when I eat a lot of gluten/wheat/carbs/sugars I really start feeling depressed and anxious. When my weight was over the top a few years back, I thought I suffered from depression and emotional eating - now I really believe that it was my diet causing depression. I feel so much better when I stick to proteins and vegetables and minimal whole food carbs.

I don't know how I am going to lose any weight this summer with all of these social occasions every weekend. On the one hand, it is nice to be with friends and family, on the other hand, I am so afraid of gaining the weight back or stalling.

I don't remember feeling this way last year.

cbigsis
06-18-2012, 12:38 AM
Hi everyone, I hope you all had a nice weekend. It sounds like some of you had a very busy one!

Mine was really nice. Much more low key than last weekend. Food and workouts were good and fun. I love it in the summer getting more workouts outside biking and running. Today was a spike day with father's day brunch for the man I'm dating and his son. And then when we got back to my house my daughter surprised us with 2 cakes. One for him and one for me she said for being both mom and dad since her dad passed away 8 years ago. It was so sweet of her and very tasty but now I have 2 whole cakes here. I will have to share them with the kiddos I babysit tomorrow. LOL

nat: I like that cutting off eating early in the day too. I may give that a try. We eat late sometimes because of schedule and it just wrecks my weight the next day.

Kel: You are doing great! If your clothes are fitting better and your waist is smaller the change is happening. Keep up the great work!

guac: Hang in there! Summer can be a great time of year for getting together with friends and family. Maybe eat a little something before you go so you aren't hungry when you get there so the tempting food isn't pulling at you quite as hard.

ICUwishing
06-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Ah, good intentions ... I did very well up until about midafternoon on Saturday, and then the grazing just didn't stop until the end of the day yesterday. I think I need to institute an iron-clad NO SNACKING policy on weekends. The "lots of small meals" stuff never has worked all that well for me. So, I'm up again. :mad: To the positive, I was able to demonstrate good portion control with some ridiculously yummy food (porterhouse steak, homemade chocolate ice cream, pasta with garlic-scape pesto) ... it was just all the in-between junk that I have to learn to avoid in order to lose instead of maintain. Lessons learned (again)!

KG123
06-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Mid-June Greetings! Hope everyone is hanging in there! :)

Almost made my goal last Friday! Clocked in at 128.4...but we ate out a LOT this weekend...so I'm not getting back on the scale until tomorrow morning.

I'm doing the Jillian Michael's detox drink this week...did it a few days last week and it really does taste pretty good!
Also, keeping a pitcher of water with lemon, cucumber and mint in the fridge...even my 13-year old really likes it.

If you get a chance, catch the Review section in the Weekend Wall Street Journal by Caitlin Moran...really great article (I think it's an excerpt from her book) that REALLY hit home on food and eating...especially this weekend when after being good all week I literally had a food hangover Sunday morning from eating too much on Saturday!
Oddly, it's not a pleasant feeling :tired:and I learned NOT to overeat like that again, no matter how good the food is!

kandd416
06-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Kristiina, a four pound gain in a one week span is not going to be bad eating. You have to be retaining water for some reason. Just keep drinking your water & that scale will be back to normal in no time. My body does that to me all the time, but I know that 99% of the time my eating wasn't bad enough to put on huge amounts of weight.

NEMom glad you enjoyed the Zumba. I've tried it, but having no rythm, it's not the exercise for me. Well, in public pretty much any class activity is out. LOL

Summertime is here along with the graduation parties, BBQs, and other get togethers. There's temptations all around, but it sounds like everyone's doing pretty good. You may overindulge, but then you get right back on track. That's great! Instead of beating yourself up for indulging once in a while, congratulate yourself for your ability to get back on track.

You ladies continue to motivate & inspire me.

Have a great one,
Kim

guacamole
06-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Hello all! Well, summer scheduling is really kicking my butt! It's so hard with all of my kids home this week before camp. I can't exercise as I usually do - snuck in a 20 minute walk yesterday after dropping one of my kids at a friend's house. Also, we are going through a major heat wave, so outdoor exercise is not an option at the moment. I spent about 20 minutes at the park with my kids today and we were melting! I stepped on the scale to 153 today. Ugh. I am a creature of habit and routine. I really hope that I can get back on track next week when most of the kids are in day camp. Between the BBQs and parties and everyone at home, this is really hard on my diet. We went out to lunch with my husband today, and I have already eaten over 900 calories before dinnertime!

Fun fact (not!) - did you know that 1 morrocan meat cigar has 460 calories? Do you know how big a morrocan cigar is - it's well, the size of a friggin cigar! It's nothing! I used to eat an entire appetizer platter of 5 cigars by myself! With hummus! Thank goodness I only had one today - I only plugged it into my calorie counter after my meal.

natamars
06-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Still plugging along. I've cut back on carbs after my initial splurges. Cutting off my calories between 3 and 4 every day. I messed up one night and had some ravioli and a Peppermint Patty klondike(yum) at night, and felt like c r a p afterward, so lesson learned. I did the stairs the last 2 days at work(28 flights Monday, 35 Tuesday), ran 4 miles Monday night, walked and did some strength training last night. My weight is back to where it was last Friday even with the carbs and TOM fast approaching, so no complaints there.

guac, soon the kids will be in camp and you'll be back in your groove! The heat's hitting here today so no running outside the next few days for me..I hope the A/C at the gym is on full blast.

kim, I agree..one occasion won't break us, it's just getting back on track after and not spiraling.

KG, so exciting on your goal! It can take a few days to get rid of the sodium from eating out, so give it a few.

Sounds like everyone's got lots of celebrations going on..pretty quiet here, which makes the food thing easier. See you all soon!

ICUwishing
06-20-2012, 09:24 AM
natamars, your activity level is truly inspiring! :)

KG, the food hangover is definitely a real phenomenon. Getting to a point where I actually recognize it for what it is, as opposed to being a constant state, was a real milestone for me when I began to cut back and get some better habits.

Kim, good reminder that the celebrations can still be a lot of fun with friends and family, and not just about the food!

guac, I was really surprised to learn the calorie counts on hummus. Who'da thunk the innocent little chickpea would be that high? It's amazing how something called an "appetizer" can rack up a thousand calories in a heartbeat, isn't it?

Called it quits on the 1.5#/week plan. It's just not enough food, by the math, and it's driving me way off the rails. I went to water aerobics last night, got home, and gorged on protein. :dizzy: Ironically, it was an extra 500 calories, the same level where I lost 24 pounds, 3 years ago. And I'm half a pound lighter this morning. My adjusted goal for July 4th is to worry less about the losses, and to stick to what I know works, before I drive myself nuts. :crazy:

cbigsis
06-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Halfway through the week just about. Doing ok but not great. I wish I felt like some people do that its just too hot to eat. I still have no problem eating no matter how hot it is. At least with the heat I have had no problem hitting my water goal! I shared the cakes with all the kids but still managed to eat some everyday. I am trying not to weigh myself more than once a week because in the past it has gotten obsessive for me in an unhealthy way. So I'm trying to hold out until Friday.

Good luck everyone with the rest of the week!!

guacamole
06-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Hello, everyone! I too wish that the heat took away my appetite. Nope! It's still there. :) I agree that it's much easier to get in all my water and then some. Got to take the good with the bad.
I weighed in at 152 lbs this morning. After my big lunch yesterday, I drank water and had some blueberries for the rest of the day - no dinner and I didn't miss it. I've only had about 400 calories so far today, which is just how I like it - I like knowing I've got a nice amount of calories "in the bank" to use for the rest of the day. Yesterday I only had about 100 calories left for the day after my lunch splurge. I hate that!

Small NSV - I took my kids for Slurpees today for a treat and did not get one for myself. Instead I came home and had a cold bottle of water from the refrigerator. Yeah to me for resisting frozen high fructose corn syrup! (Did I mention how much I adore Coca-cola Slurpees?).

Update - my 6 year old asked why my tummy was so big if I didn't have a baby in it! I guess he keeps my ego in check just in case I thought I was looking too good! Ack!

kandd416
06-21-2012, 09:57 AM
ICU, I so know what you mean. When I first started out I was losing 1-2 pounds a week, but I was constantly hungry & always tired. I'm trying to stay at about 1700 calories a day now, which on an average day would leave me with about a 500 calorie a day deficit, which should be about a pound a week. According to my tracking, that's what I'm eating & about what my deficit is, but I'm only losing a little over half a pound a week on average. So obviously I'm a little off somewhere on my tracking. Just keep doing what you're doing & it will come off. It may take longer than you wanted it to, but they say that's actually better for you than the faster weight loss.

Guac, good luck getting back into your routine. It really does seem to help if you have a steady routine & can keep it up. Good job on passing up the Slurpee. I love those things. A couple of years ago they had all kinds of Crystal Light flavors that were wonderful, but I don't see them too often anymore.

Nat, we've had some record highs here & I just haven't been able to get myself working out like I need to. Great job on staying motivated even in the hot weather. 36 flights of stairs? Wow! I'm tired just reading that :)

Cbigsis, I never have a problem eating either, although I do find myself wanting to eat more salads & other cold things when it's hot out. And I sure don't want to cook. It's time for food on the grill, which thankfully is usually better for you.

Kim

guacamole
06-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Quick check in. Staying super busy with the kids and trying to stay within calorie range, although my food choices have not been good. I made a healthy lunch of vegetarian burritos on low fat/low carb tortillas. However, I was totally out of ingredients and totally out of energy to cook for dinner and so we got Chinese take-out. I had vegetable mu shu, but of course, grazed on some of the other unhealthier dishes too. Tonight will be pizza night, as we promised the kids all week (I will be cooking all day today for the upcoming weekend and also making them lunch, so I'm sure I will be wiped out by dinnertime again). I weighed in at 154 this morning! I don't know why I weighed myself, except for some sick pleasure at looking at the scene of a crime! Ugh. Still plugging along....

natamars
06-21-2012, 09:35 PM
It is too freaking hot!!!! I made it to the gym last night but just did 40 minutes on the elliptical. Nothing today. I woke up at 1AM with horrible menstrual cramps and never got back to sleep. I ate c r a p in the morning which made me feel even worse but I ate it anyway. Stopped eating about 4PM. Going to postpone weigh-in because I was up about 4 lbs. yesterday and I know it's TOM and the humidity so I'm waiting until it passes.

guac, I hear you, between the heat and all the end of school stuff I'm just not in the modd to be too healthy. Just trying to get some activity and keep the calories reasonable and stop eating early. Last day of school celebration at a friend's tomorrow - I'm bringing fruit and she always has healthy noshing stuff also.

kand, I haven't been to the office since Tuesday so no more stairs. A few of us there really encourage each other. There are only 7 floors(each has a double flight of 22 steps) so you recover when you do the walk down. The most sets we've ever done is 9...we try to do at least 4.

I wish the heat took my appetite away too!! If I'm actually outside too long I don't want anything, but once I come in I make up for it. And I'm lazy - I've got a perfectly good salad there for me but just the thought of adding a protein and dressing it feels like too much work, so I grab some bread instead.

ICUwishing
06-22-2012, 10:34 AM
:wave: I think I figured out a big chunk of what's going on this week. It's DS12's first week off school, and I switched up my hours at work to starting at 7 instead of 8:30. I've done a really poor job of getting to bed earlier to make up for it. :doh: Thank goodness I can sleep as much as I need to this weekend! I'm going to avoid the scale until Monday, I think. Despite being absolutely wiped out after dinner, I did manage to haul my butt over to my car and get to the pool for water aerobics. Less than 2 weeks to go on the challenge, and I really want to finish strong! :cheer:

cbigsis
06-22-2012, 02:25 PM
141.2 today. :D My lowest in a while. Hopefully I can keep it going! I cut my foot on a nail day before yesterday so running is out for a bit, but I think by midweek next week I will try it out. It's right on the pad of my foot so there is no way to not put pressure on it. Might think about getting a tetanus booster as well....

Have a great weekend everyone!

guacamole
06-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Not a great day today. Well, it was a great day in every other way but my food. Didn't weigh myself and went with yesterday's weigh in for the week. I hope I can get back on track next week.

Good luck, everyone!

Zumbachica
06-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Hello everyone!! Looks like we're all holding steady ...I have lost a few more lbs. and I'm almost at my super duper goal that i haven't been able to reach in years.....I'm not getting excited though becaue I thik it is just some kind of fluke thing due to my anxiety...I'm probably burning nore calories just being nervous......this has been the hardest time of my life. I'm not turning to food for comfort but I think I'm going in the opposite direction which isn't healthy or a good way to live....Havne't gotten around to weight lifting for doing any resistance training which is really\ causing even MORE anxiety.....But enough about anxiety.....we are getting close to our goal date of July 4!!!

guacamole
06-24-2012, 10:41 PM
I am feeling really down about my weight and dieting efforts. It's been a challenging week for me, and reading here, I feel like I am the only one not making progress. I looked back at my weigh-ins and see that I have been struggling with the 150s since March! I am obviously doing something wrong. I feel so scared that I am losing this fight, but my rational side is telling me, I had one bad week. I can get up from this and move forward. Just having a down moment, I guess.

envelope
06-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Guac - I had a rough week too. I was extremely active, busy, and trying to keep my cals at the same level...which led to making some poor food choices. Last week is over and this week is just starting up. We can both have a great week.

cbigsis
06-24-2012, 11:58 PM
I had such a fun weekend. Shopping, a music festival, farmers market, and a night away. Lots of fun but all eating out and lots of alcohol. I'm scared to even see what the scale will look like for the next few days. And after all that my body is feeling the effects too. I can't wait for tomorrow to eat healthy and start feeling better. But it was a lot of fun so almost worth it. ;)

Zumba: I'm sorry you are going through such a hard time. :hug: Maybe some weight lifting will help release some of that anxiety and frustration. It does for me sometimes. Just to push my muscles and feel that strength in me can be a mood lifter at times.

Guac: Sometimes your body can get used to what you are eating and doing for exercise. I don't know if its possible for you to maybe make some changes. I even once just changed my eating schedule and it made a difference. I ate dinner at breakfast for a while. Basically loaded my calories early and then ate light in the eveining, which was very unusual for me. Or I changed what I was doing for exercise. Or what time of day I did it. If you have a tight schedule that can be tough to do. I'm not even sure how much was my body reacting to it and how much was me not being bored with the same old same old helping me stay more on track again. Good luck and don't give up! There are definitely ups and downs to this journey. You have done great so far and should be proud!

andrew80k
06-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Hey everyone, I see you still working hard. I thought I'd check in real quick on my way out the door this morning. Down 2.8 in the last 10 days. Not bad, but I have a feeling I'm going to bounce up a bit. I've been on plan mostly so a loss is not unexpected, but that much is a little more than I was expecting given my weight history and my pace. We'll see. I'm still a little above where I want to be in terms of timing and goal so I need to start working harder and staying more consistently on plan. You guys have a good on-plan week.

ICUwishing
06-25-2012, 09:39 AM
guac, I could have written your post word-for-word. :hug: I'm off track, and back up to 155 this morning. Sure, some of it's misbehavior over the weekend, but I've also been futzing with the low/mid 150's for literally years now. I know how to lose weight, and obviously you do too - you're holding a 60 pound loss!! That's amazing and awesome! I was really hoping that putting a time stamp on it with this 4th of July challenge was going to kick-start me, but maybe I need to take a page out of Kaplods' wonderful posts and focus more on a one-pound at a time approach. Life is stinkin' busy right now, and will be for a bunch more years; I have been wondering if I'd be more successful at all the things I need to get done if I'd devote a little less energy to the scale. :chin:

cbigsis - agree, there is a time and a place for saying, "Thank God it's Monday"! :D

zumba - wishing you some peace and tranquility!

I've got 5 days before a string of camping days, DS12's 13th birthday, and a road trip to WI for an anniversary party. And the end of the 4th of July challenge. And the "formal" 1st of the month record of weight and inches, which I've been keeping since I started my efforts here at 3FC in Jan 2009. Phew.

kandd416
06-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Guac, you were in one of the first challenges I was in when I first joined 3FC. It was the Valentine's Day Challenge. I think that you're starting weight in January was about 169. So that means you've lost about 20 pounds in 6 months! Don't be too down on yourself as you've told me about 100 times. I know how discouraging it can be. It took me almost 4 months to get out of the 180's & I've been in the 170's for almost 2 now. Keep OP & it will come.

As much as I would love to see big losses on the scale every week when I WI, I know that losing it slowly is probably better for me. It will help me to have longer to learn better exercise & eating habits, and hopefully knowing how hard I had to work to lose this weight, I will never put it back on.

Cbigsis, Ouch! You probably should get that booster shot. I hope your foot gets better quick.

Zumba, breathe. Relax. Breathe. Feel the anxiety disappear.

Everyone else, have a great day.
Kim

guacamole
06-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks, everyone. I think I have been feeling down because I have been eating
off plan. If I don't lose while on plan I still have hope and don't berate myself. I have been eating so badly, it's hard to cut myself slack. Went for a walk and am doing well so far today.

ICUwishing
06-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Week and a half to go! Yesterday was pretty good; the only off-plan indiscretion I had was a second dark chocolate sea-salt caramel (dang you, Whole Foods!) I bought a massive mega-pack of sugarless gum at Costco the other day, and it's helping me rein in the grazing. More water aerobics tonight, yay!

guacamole
06-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Hello, everyone. I weighed in at 154 this morning. Did a 4 mile bike ride this morning, but I more than made up for the calories I burned having lunch out with my husband.

I need to revamp things a bit with more exercise and higher calories and carbs. I think that I was going too extreme with cutting out the carbs and keeping calories low during the week at 1200. Yesterday my calories totaled 1353 and today they are at 1831. I am going to be kind to myself and let myself feel satisfied and not hungry. I need to move more. I think I need a bit of a break from the dieting roller coaster.

ICUwishing
06-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Guac, I hear you completely. We had a lively discussion about "focus" vs "obsession" over in the Maintainers group. I'm planning to back off a bit - I am going to go back to journaling, and instead of getting finicky with calories, I'm giong to just designate stuff as S, M, or L (hopefully won't need XL) portion size. I need something a little different, too. And a whole lot more exercise. :)

guacamole
06-26-2012, 03:17 PM
ICUwishing - I have definitely been obsessing lately. I am seeing the results of this because I have dark bags under my eyes, and I have started getting bruises on my body like I do when I am not getting enough nutrients. I also have been having horrible headaches (haven't had a headache since Sunday). I need to regroup and stop thinking that this is a race. I think I can trace this mindset back to when I found out there was going to be a family reunion in August. I felt the need to get down to as close to my goal weight as possible for this event, even though I know that is not the way this process works for me. Major head trip.

ICUwishing
06-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Funny that you would say that - about the family reunion. I have a family event coming up on July 7th, and put myself in the same bad headspace. This is the first "challenge" I've ever joined, and I think it was a huge mistake in retrospect to try to pin a date on when I'd get this done. Doesn't mean I can't spend the rest of the challenge being "on plan" - just means the plan adapted. :dizzy: Adapt, innovate, and overcome! Hoooah! :D Feeling like crap definitely means you overshot it. If you don't feel better in a couple weeks after you switch it up, please go get a checkup, okay?

guacamole
06-26-2012, 03:31 PM
I definitely need to revamp my goal for this challenge to just maintaining and being healthy. I already feel better just from readjusting my attitude and food these past two days. I slept better last night too.

Sometimes I read about people who achieved their goal in one year or less by being 100% on plan. I read about people who can't even relate to going off plan. It's been about 2 years since I have been at this and I am still not at goal, and I get frustrated with myself. However, punishing myself to my goal weight isn't going to work.

ICUwishing
06-26-2012, 06:17 PM
One of the first quotes I saw when I joined 3FC was, "you can't hate yourself thin". I did not suffer going from 174 to 147, nor will I tolerate it getting the rest of the way. Lots of folks love a good challenge - and it sounded like a great idea to try one. Methinks the way I need to phrase mine is "Fit Before I Die". :lol3:

cbigsis
06-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Good start to the week for me. Eating well and feeling better today. Less bloated. I ran today and my foot felt fine. I had moved up a level on my ifit program on my treadmill and so far still can't finish the whole workout without jumping off. But I got it down to 2 jump offs today. One for 30 sec and one for a minute. Its so much incline and my legs are so short! I think I'm going to move on and do the next few workouts and then go back and start over and maybe then I will be able to get all the way through without DYING!! LOL

Andrew: great job on the weight loss! Woo hoo!!

Kim: I completely agree slow and steady is a much better way. I think if I lose too fast by doing too drastic of measures that is a recipe for me to gain it all back. I want this to be a healthy new life I can keep with forever and be happy, not deprived feeling.

Guac and ICU: great conversation. I have been there kind of burned out from "dieting" and my head got way out of control. I know I have to stay more mindful of when my body and mind just needs a break from trying to LOSE more weight to just live healthy and maintain. I don't know if I will ever get to my goal weight, its just an arbitrary number afterall. I just know that my real goal is to feel good and have the energy to enjoy my life and the things I want to do. It has taken me 2 years to get to the point of believing that was more important than being what size I thought a person my height should be. But I'm glad that's how I feel about it now. Its been a huge relief and I'm much happier.

KelStand
06-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Hello, everyone! I just wanted to say hello. I will be going out of town for a bit and may not get to post. I finally finished school so I now I will be able to focus on my home and weight loss more. Phew!!!

Quac- You are doing great! Don't diet yourself sick! I get really down b/c I feel like I watch what I eat...journal...exercise...and I have barely lost anything! (stupid thyroid). But (with the help of you guys) I try to stay focused on how good I actually feel. You have lost lots of weight ....You will get to your goal!

Everyone- I know I say this all the time, but all of your posts are so comforting and insipiring! You are all doing great! Have a good rest of the week!

guacamole
06-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Hello, everyone. Thanks for being here and sharing the daily struggles of this journey.

I weighed in at 153 today. I went for a long walk and kept busy today. I had some chocolate and I don't regret it! :)

I am plugging along, but being less restrictive both on carbs and calories. I am ok with where I am at today.

ICUwishing
06-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Puffy, and 156.0 this morning. I took an Aleve to help me sleep (sore shoulder) and while I did get a great rest ... there is something about Aleve that makes me bloat up like a summer road-killed raccoon. Sigh. Everything has to be a tradeoff, doesn't it?

Plodding onward. This too shall pass.

kandd416
06-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Good morning everyone. I weighed in yesterday at 175, so down a little, but no way am I going to make goal weight. Again. But I am going to end this challenge weighing less than I started, so I guess I did meet my real goal, which is to lose weight. Of course that won't stop me from trying to hit a certain number next month. :)

I've been 4 for 4 this week on the workouts. Since moving them to the mornings I do have to say I feel much better too. I have a lot more energy in the morning & "wake up" a lot quicker too. I was also pretty pleased with myself this morning when I was able to do 50 pushups (girlie style of course). I think I started out not even able to do 10.

Guac, I think a break may be what you need. Eating 1,200 calories per day is way too little to do for too long. Keep moving & you might just discover that you can lose weight eating 1,800 per day. That's about what I average eating & I am losing.

ICU, the body is a strange thing. For me it tends to be anything with alcohol. A glass of wine or a mixed drink, even if I build it into my calories will have my weight spike up 3-5 pounds the next day or two. I'm pretty sure it's my body retaining water to flush the system, but it is a little annoying to see it.

Kelly, you'll get there, it may be a slow process, but you will get there.

Kim

Sum38
06-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Sorry that I have been MIA. Needed a soul searching break :love:

Weight has been all over the place, today back down to 144, which I am grateful.

guacamole
06-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Nice to "see" everyone. I weighed in today again at 153. I am actually pleased, because my calories yesterday were at 1,786 and that included chocolate! I went for a 4 mile bike ride this morning, which I am really pleased about, because I was able to get it in before the massive heat wave struck. It would have been so easy for me to procrastinate until it got too hot and then have an excuse not to exercise. Last night I convinced my husband to go on a short walk with me after dinner - he didn't want to go at first, using the heat as an excuse - but then he got into some walking clothes and came with me! It turned out to be a beautiful breezy evening, and I got to get in two walks for the day (morning and night). For the first time in ages, I feel like I am getting into an exercise routine - walking or biking - nothing strenuous. I think it is helping my mood.
I doubt I will meet my scale goal in this challenge, but I think I have made some progress in terms of how I want to proceed with my weight loss during this last 20-30 lbs.

Good luck today everyone! :hug:

Zumbachica
06-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Hello everyone...good to see you all ...
I'm slowly slipping back to a bad place and the lbs are creeping on. A litlte bread here, a little ice cream there....and I know that I am NOT exercising enough....frustrating....I can't believe it is almost fourth of july!!! It seemed so far away when we first started the challenge....

guacamole
06-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Zumbachica - you can get back on track. You have been such a motivation for me in terms of exercise especially. I also have been floundering in my eating and trying to find a happy medium. I'm either too lenient or too strict. I need to find a balance. Either way, the scale isn't moving the way I want it to.

Sum38
07-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Nice bikeride Guacamole! -- It is soooo hot here in MI :(

Zumba I keep falling off the wagon and climbing back on. Sending you :dust:

I lost a grand total of 1 pound this past month. A loss is a loss. I was slipping some and decided to get back on that wagon.

My July goal is finally to get below 140. I KNOW I can do it.....I want it, quite bad. I am ready to finish this journey and start living maint. -- Once I hit goal, I will do metabolism reset (I admire ladies who have done it). I am shifting my goal weight up a bit. From 125 to 130...therefore 13 pounds to go.

seagirl
07-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Ok, I'm at 185.2 today.
Goal:
Lose 3.5 pounds. (181.7)
Go rock climbing again.

Checking back in (above was from 5/31.

Weight wise, it went down a pound, and then up 2 and stayed there for 2 weeks. Finally back down a pound to 184 today, so the weight goal is probably out the window.

I finished the Ruckus with no injuries.

I finished my triathlon - beating my bike time by 3 minutes!

I have 33 stars on my calendar from workouts.

No rock climbing, I needed rest (and the beach) after my races.

I have upped my veggie intake and tracked no matter what.

I'm calling it a WIN!

guacamole
07-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Sum38 - can you tell me more about a metabolism reset? I think I am doing one now...either that or falling off the wagon! LOL!

kandd416
07-03-2012, 06:53 AM
Kristiina, we went to Sagebrush Cantina Saturday & I thought of you. It's good to see you back. Keep up your positive outlook chickie. A pound down is a pound down & a little bit healthier than you were in the begining of the month.

Zumba, you are so close to goal! Have you thought what you're going to do for maintenance? Are you going with a set weight or going to try to stay in a range? I'm not een thinking about maintenance yet.

I checked my BMI & I am finally out of the obese range. Yay! I am not going to hit my goal of 170 by the 4th, but I am going to get there. Maybe for my birthday in August? That's been my dieting story, not hitting goals in the time frame I want to. But I've actually finally developed a good mental outlook about it.

Kim

guacamole
07-03-2012, 08:54 PM
kandd416 - congratulations to you for getting out of the obese BMI range!! That's a major accomplishment.

I am PMSing like crazy - feeling and looking bloated. The scale read 155 today - yikes! I went for a good long walk today at a brisk pace, I did my 3lb free weights for my arms (trying to get rid of the waddle) and I ate on plan today. That's all I can really do. I didn't meet my 4th of July scale goal, but I did well with my water intake, vitamins, and most of all - exercise.

Good luck, everyone.

Sum38
07-04-2012, 05:47 PM
~ weight goal ~ 5 pound loss. ~~~~NOPE! At 145.5 this am
~SW 145 GW 140 Which would mean; healthy BMI ~~~~Nope
~ upper body toning 3xweek ~~~~YUP
~ core training 3xweek ~~~~Maybe...hehe
~ take 100000 steps per week. ~~~~Yup, and some more

2.5/5

Sum38
07-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Kim, We almost went there on Saturday...how funny!! We ended up in Commerce Twp...kinda towards you :D Congrats leaving obese behind!!

Guacamole, good job on hitting most of your goals! -- Are you doing a new challenge? Perhaps 2 month one till labor day? I am just learning about the reset. Jo at slow dancer thread is doing it. I was just asking for tips.

ICUwishing
07-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Happy 4th, everyone! I have no idea what my weight is today - we came back from camping this morning, and unless I can weigh right out of bed, I don't do it. :). I think it's safe to say I didn't meet my goal, but it was a great experience and taught me a lot about how I approach this project. I'll be taking a longer view from here on out - eyeballing the end of the year instead. Thanks for all the support!

guacamole
07-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Here's how I did -

My goal is to -

Drink at least 8 cups of water per day - Did it!

Lose 4 pounds, which would put me at 149 lbs (and a normal BMI weight!!!!) - Did not do it - weighed in at 153 today.

Stick to an average of 9,000-9,300 calories per week - Did not do it - that calorie range was too low for me, so I have upped it to 10,000 calories per week as a goal.

Take my vitamins every day - Did it!

Exercise more - Did it! This is the one I am most proud of.

Still chugging along, and even though I didn't meet all of my goals, I am still hanging in there.

Zumbachica
07-04-2012, 11:13 PM
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well here we are at the end of another challenge....I gained a few lbs...checking in at a little under 134..still less than I was when I started this challenge!!! I didn't drink more water, I didn't work out more and I didn't take vitamins..Oh well, have to keep trying...congratulations to everyone that stuck to this challenge...!!

kandd416
07-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Everyone should be proud of themselves. Maybe you didn't hit all your goals, but we all made steps toward our ultimate goals & I'm pretty dang proud of you ladies!

I didn't quite make it to my goal of 170, big suprise there, but I am closer than I was when I started this challenge. My ending weight was 173.2. I've actually lost pretty good numbers the last couple of weeks & I think that's from my change in exercise.

I hope to see you all on the next challenge, whatever that may be.

Kim