Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/259/160

Height: 5'7

Default Trying to stay on track while mourning a loss

My husband's grandma passed away. She was a wonderful woman and she really was the center of the family. We are all heart broken and I have a habit of eating a lot when I'm upset. Does anyone have any tips for how to stave this off a bit?
nataliegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #2  

That should say Mourning... eesh
Old 05-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Fixed the title for you.

Can you do something equally self-soothing that doesn't involve food? Taking a walk to a place that makes you think of her, drinking a cup of tea while discussing memories of her, taking a bubble bath and a few minutes to be alone with your thoughts? Maybe go through old photos as a family? You'll feel better than if you try to eat the feelings away, and will spend some solid time remembering her as well.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Stress-eating is a very common thing. It's why weight loss is so difficult and why those who have lost lots of weight in our society are held up as gods by the rest of us mere mortals.

I'm sorry for your loss, of course. We've all been in your shoes.

Personally, I try to not let a bad event be an excuse for me to indulge, since life will always be throwing me rotten circumstances. I try to associate things with stress other than eating during those times. Like during a difficult time I'll go for a long bike-ride - enjoying the outdoors with the wind in my hair - instead of vegging in front of the TV with a couple of Ghiradelli caramel-filled chocolate bars, which I'm wont to do.

Last edited by tricon7; 05-29-2012 at 08:33 AM.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #5  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I was also going to say exercise. I know, it just doesn't feel as good as bag of Cheetos or an entire cheese cake would feel in the moment, but afterwords, it will make you feel better.

Emotional eating and exercise release the same feel good hormones. Exercise will leave you feeling energized and good. Food will leave you feeling full and bloated. Sadness, mourning, loss... you're still trying to lose weight and become healthy. Don't let the loss of your loss pile on to the hurt from the loss of your grandma. It's not going to bring her back.

Walk, run, bike ride, roller blade, go to yoga or an aerobics class....anything that makes you move will work out better. In the end, maybe you'll replace emotional eating with emotional exercising.

Seriously, today I'm regretting my emotional cheesecake consumption, but grateful it was a a piece, and not the whole cake. I'm really in a funk today and realizing I haven't exercised since Thursday. Well no wonder this **** hit me so hard! Today, I move.

Last edited by twinieten; 05-29-2012 at 09:50 AM.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #6  
Creepin' in the Corner

S/C/G: 300/272/160

Height: 5'5"

I'm an emotional eater too. It's hard to break from it for sure. I piled on so much weight when I lost my mom...I know how it feels.
Take walks in nature, stop and smell the flowers (unless you have allergies!).
Yoga is an amazing distraction and helps calm you.
Put on some nice nature music (sky.fm, online radio...free is gooood!) and just medatate too. If you do some deep breathing, you can be amazed how much it helps take off stress and emotion.
And if you need it, never underestimate a sympathetic ear! Chat with friends, or even family.
retrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #7  

Thank you for fixing the title, my inability to spell/type correctly is amazing...
Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #8  

Thanks ladies. I went for a long walk with my mother in law today. I think it helped us both. I also took a long nap after a good cry, that helped too. the **** sort of hit the fan today for the family and it sucks to see that not only are we all hurting but now people are taking it out on each other. That makes it harder. I'm going to stay strong and stay away from all the food that people keep showing up with, like the huge chocolate cake that I didnt even have a bite of.