PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #1  
No excuses, No regrets.

S/C/G: 278/190/175

Height: 5'9

Default Birth Control and PCOS...IUD?

Hello ladies!! It has been forever since I have been on the forums. Honestly really miss everyone but life has been crazy! I do have a fairly pressing issue that I need some help on. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have a horror PCOS story that I just don't feel like typing right now. Needless to say I have a pretty intense case and have had years of constant treatments and issues... However, Things have been going really well lately! I have lost almost 90lbs (diet, exercise, and phentermine) and that has made a huge difference in my PCOS symptoms. I take doxycycline to help with the cystic acne that flairs up from time to time and i still have periods that are not regular and when they do they hurt a lot... but I can honestly live with that if I have to.

My issue now is... I need birth control! haha. I am both happy and shocked that I have this issue (omg, am I actually in a serious relationship? Me? AHH!!! hehe) My doctors and I are not 100% sure if I will be able to get pregnant. A lot of damage has been done, my doctor said there is still a definite chance that I will be able to but we just don't know how easy it will be... but that is a bridge I will cross at a later point! (If I find out I can't get pregnant when it is time, that is okay. I have already planned on adopting at least one child so I will be more than happy to adopt only!)

I do want kiddos at some point... I do NOT right now.

So I need advice on the right way to go? BC Pills have caused me to gain a LOT of weight in the past. Are there any that you have tried that haven't caused a lot of weight gain? (more than a pound or two) Ive never done the shot or the patch so i don't know anything about them... I am seriously looking into maybe getting an IUD. Does anyone know if an IUD is a good choice for someone with PCOS? Basically I want birth control that is reliable and won't cause me to gain a ton of weight (I've almost lost 90lbs, I do NOT want to screw it up) or get crazy emotional all the time, or really mess with my PCOS symptoms.

Thanks for any advice you have!

xoxo
La Vie.

Last edited by La Vie Boheme; 05-28-2012 at 01:43 PM.
La Vie Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I am not on BCP (nor will be, since they did a lot of damage to my body), but I am going to be getting the IUD Paraguard, which is non-hormonal. Mirena has hormones in it, but I'm under control with diet/exercise, that I don't need the additional stuff -- which I think is what threw my IR off anyway.

I did research and I have been speaking with my OB/GYN who has been following my PCOS stuff right along side me, so he approved of the procedure (despite not having kids).

The thing I will caution you is that your doctor may want you to remain in this relationship a little longer before recommending the IUD, because STDs can cause PID, especially if you have an IUD. So, be super careful and keep that in mind if you do get an IUD.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #3  
hez

I have been through the BC ringer. Went on the pill before I got married in 2009. Developed a DVT as a result of obesity and BCP. I weighed about 265 at that time (at 6' tall). That precluded me from ever taking the pill again. While in treatment for the DVT, they said "Whatever you do, don't get pregnant." Bam! First cycle after quitting the pills. I had thought fertility would be an issue for me due to PCOS...? I had to take high doses of a blood thinner (Lovenox) throughout my pregnancy. Cost? $13,000 per. month.

Fast forward to 8 weeks after the birth of my little boy. My obgyn said an IUD would be great for me, because hormones (from a Mirena) would be "completely contained" within the uterus, with low low risk of side effects.

I had about 5 months of bleeding, pain, and heavy menstrual-type cramps before I went back to the doc (trying to be tough). When I finally made an appointment, I went through a 45 minute vaginal ultrasound before finding the Mirena had slipped out of place and was causing constant build up and shedding of my uterine lining. They took it out and put a new one in its place. Worst doctor visit of my life. I had to be wheeled out in a chair.

The new Mirena was a totally different, but also horrible experience. My periods stopped altogether (nice), but after a few weeks I sunk into suicidal depression. Both my GP and my obgyn said it was PPD, that I should see a psychologist, go on anti-depressants, and stop nursing. No personal or family history of depression. Through this time I gained 40 pounds.

Through my own research (on Bayer's website) I found that nearly 8% of Mirena users experience serious mood disorders, and weight gain is the most common side effect. I was mad at my providers! Ended up navigating through the protesters at Planned Parenthood to get that IUD out of me.

Two weeks later, I stopped thinking of taking my own life. I'm slowly but surely starting to lose weight through LC eating habits and daily exercise.

I know your experience may be totally different, but if I can help ANYONE else avoid that disaster, it's worth pecking it in to my iPhone. IDK if the PCOS made me a higher risk Mirena user, but I do know I will do my best to avoid subjecting my body to fake hormones. My body no likey.

Last edited by hez; 05-30-2012 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Autocorrect typos :(
hez is offline   Reply With Quote