Old 05-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Question Mad at the scale..Gained 2 pounds even though 100% OP

Okay, i dont get this. This just makes me angry. I spend the first beautiful 7 days 100% OP and i lose 8 pounds..okay thats good right? Yesterday i had the most hellish day ive had in a long time and despite my desire to binge and eat everything in sight, once again i stayed 100% OP and commited to this diet...but then i step on the scale this morning and it says ive gone from 305 up to 308...thats a 3 pound gain...How in the **** do i explain this? Like seriously..this is what i get for staying on plan 100% without cheating???? Whats going on here...its enough to want to make anyone quit. Luckily its day 8 and IM NOT QUITTING OR CHEATING..IM STILL IN THIS! but still..i want to know..what makes the scale do that?????? Did i really gain 3 pounds??? or what?
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 212/196/160

Height: 5'7"

Aaaaaand, it sounds like your same old story. You weigh yourself too often and have never given the plan a chance for long enough before giving up. You have been on these boards off and on sice I joined so you know the answer to your question- everyone's weight fluctuates- you need to stay the course- those that have, have had great success.
Determinedat47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #3  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinedat47 View Post
Aaaaaand, it sounds like your same old story. You weigh yourself too often and have never given the plan a chance for long enough before giving up. You have been on these boards off and on sice I joined so you know the answer to your question- everyone's weight fluctuates- you need to stay the course- those that have, have had great success.
A-FREAKING-MEN

You got this Port, stay off the scale....
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #4  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyMae87 View Post
A-FREAKING-MEN

Wow.
Mostly, I like to look at your tickers. Wow.
You guys are minutes away from completion.
Wow.
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #5  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyMae87 View Post
A-FREAKING-MEN

Agreed...I weigh myself every day, as I have most of my life, and even though I was warned not to while on the plan, I still do as I am so curious about the diet and its effects. I am a research hound, spend hours upon hours reading and researching this plan. In every piece of literature you can find it will indicate that your body will react in this way EVERY WEEK for most people. Im 4 weeks 100% op and have had a total of 3 days where there was a 1# or more gain....but an overall loss...

I weigh because I am prepared for what I am gonna see, if you cant handle it, weigh weekly only. Or do some research and learn WHY this is happening.
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #6  
Started IP Jan 14/12

S/C/G: 242/ticker/140

I've gained twice in the last 19 weeks that I've been on IP. Body-weight fluctuates, and for me it just happened to be in an upward mode on those 2 week's WI. Stick with the program and the weight will come off - this program really does work and you have the best support in these boards..
northernfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #7  
04/23/12~Kara

S/C/G: 194.8/171.2/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthardygurl View Post
Okay, i dont get this. This just makes me angry. I spend the first beautiful 7 days 100% OP and i lose 8 pounds..okay thats good right? Yesterday i had the most hellish day ive had in a long time and despite my desire to binge and eat everything in sight, once again i stayed 100% OP and commited to this diet...but then i step on the scale this morning and it says ive gone from 305 up to 308...thats a 3 pound gain...How in the **** do i explain this? Like seriously..this is what i get for staying on plan 100% without cheating???? Whats going on here...its enough to want to make anyone quit. Luckily its day 8 and IM NOT QUITTING OR CHEATING..IM STILL IN THIS! but still..i want to know..what makes the scale do that?????? Did i really gain 3 pounds??? or what?
You really probably retained 3 pounds of water weight. Did you know when you stress your body releases I think it's Cortisol that screws with weight loss? Also, quit weighing daily if you can't handle the fluctuation. I've had a more than two pound gain in a day after being PERFECT the day before, and the day before that, and the day before that, for no inexplicable reason. Take it on faith, that you are following the plan and being OP. Tough love~ You said you did this before and it worked right? So stop overanalyzing and just do what you did last time, but stick with it.

Quote:
A-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Energy View Post
Agreed...I weigh myself every day, as I have most of my life, and even though I was warned not to while on the plan, I still do as I am so curious about the diet and its effects. I am a research hound, spend hours upon hours reading and researching this plan. In every piece of literature you can find it will indicate that your body will react in this way EVERY WEEK for most people. Im 4 weeks 100% op and have had a total of 3 days where there was a 1# or more gain....but an overall loss...

I weigh because I am prepared for what I am gonna see, if you cant handle it, weigh weekly only. Or do some research and learn WHY this is happening.
I weigh daily and I look at my eating and exercising habits from the day before. I have the same thing for breakfast 5 days a week (M-F) then switch it up SLIGHTLY on the weekends, same thing for lunch/veggie also, and then dinners vary. I've noticed gains after having a dinner out one night (over salted meat etc.) and also from biological things that happen based on what I eat (too big of a meal = big C = weight gain temporarily). I'm approaching this program like an experiment, and documenting as I go, so I can see what pitfalls affect me the most.
Kaypix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 266/Ticker/150

Kaypix, thanks for the info on Cortisol. It really helps having this type of information.
qsuzi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 221/198/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:

After 4 days OP, I went into the center and had lost 7 lbs, so I had to go in 3 days later and that was officially week 1 and I had gained a lb since that first weigh in. Then at my next appointment at day 11, I had lost that lb and 4 more for a total of 12 lbs in 11 days. Our weight fluctuates sometimes by the hour. Also your scale may have been in a different place on the floor. I can weigh 5 times in 5 different spots on the floor and my scale will give me 5 different readings. If you are going to weigh yourself, nobody can stop you, so do it after you go to the bathroom, first thing in the morning with no clothes on. But it really the only scale that counts is the official weigh in scale at your center so why stress yourself out. I can see at the halfway point checking yourself, but really I like to check myself by using Ketostix. That way I know that I am burning fat. Good luck and shake it off!!!
prettygirlusaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #10  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Thanks all...i guess maybe i am the type that shouldnt weigh more than once a week...Maybe my hubbers should hide the scale in his car. I guess for me personally...the scale was always something to live or die by..It was always what told my dr..told my mom..told me..what i was or wasnt doing..Im a perfectionist at heart, and not seeing my work turn into success or at least achieving closer to a goal, causes me to be frustrated, stressed and unhappy...I need to see my work pay off...and when it didnt...weather it lied or not about the 2 pounds..it really got me down..

So i guess from now on...no more weighing more than once a week.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #11  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Thanks all...i guess maybe i am the type that shouldnt weigh more than once a week...Maybe my hubbers should hide the scale in his car. I guess for me personally...the scale was always something to live or die by..It was always what told my dr..told my mom..told me..what i was or wasnt doing..Im a perfectionist at heart, and not seeing my work turn into success or at least achieving closer to a goal, causes me to be frustrated, stressed and unhappy...I need to see my work pay off...and when it didnt...weather it lied or not about the 2 pounds..it really got me down..

So i guess from now on...no more weighing more than once a week.
I've learned to avoid weighing myself too much between 'official' WIs, as it fluctuates so much. I've seen my weight increase by 5 lbs from my morning weight if I weight myself again before bed! That taught me to stay off the scale at night. LOL. Who needs that aggro? When you think about it logically, you know that it takes a 3500 cal surplus to bring about a 1 lb weight gain, and we know we're not eating enough calories on this protocol to ever have that happen. So any weight fluctuations have to be related to water retention or constipation, etc.

There's a simple solution --- if it upsets you just stay off the scale between your WIs. You don't need the extra stress - and you don't need to do anything to get your cortisol hormone working against your weightloss.

Also, once you're in ketosis and fat is being released from your fat cells, estrogen is also being released. It's stored in your fat cells. This creates mood swings, etc., similiar to PMS - that probably accounts for some of your moodiness and feelings of depression.

We definitely experience withdrawal symptoms as we ease our bodies away from sugar and carbs in general.... just google it, and you'll find many, many websites talking about the withdrawal symptoms.

Hang in there.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote