UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: i need to lose 60 pounds

Height: 5' 11

Default Fat T-shirt Wearer!

hi im Embarrassed of wearing a t-shirt becuase im fat, i always wear hooded tops, but in this this heat i feel kinda stupid wearing a hooded top, what shall i do?
Pushin Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #2  
Amazing Revelations

S/C/G: 272/ticker/161

Height: 5ft 7

i feel the same, but i go for tshirts that have slightly longer sleeves so i feel better (like just above my elbows) and make sure they are not too tight, and i figure people can see the size i am whether i am wearing a jumper or a tshirt so it really makes no difference!
MissSMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I understand the instinct to wear big baggy clothes when you're bigger and feel bad about it. But wearing fitted (yes, there is a difference between fitted and tight) clothes makes you look much slimmer. It can be difficult to get used to wearing fitted clothes. But in my experience, when you buy something that fits nicely, people start asking if you've lost weight, even when you haven't.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #4  

Maybe a tee shirt with a shawl over your shoulders/arms? Not too strange looking, because most places have air conditioning on, making it cool/cold inside, so a shawl is my way to 'cover up'. There are some nice shawls out there! Amazon has them, and I've also shopped at this place.
http://www.shawlsunlimited.com
hatgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #5  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Athletic shirt/tank top under a t shirt is what I wear.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/168

Height: 5ft 7''

I wear vests but I always keep my jacket on, being fat really sucks come the summer doesn't it? All this lovely weather and it's hard to appreciate it. x
Pentangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #7  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Why should we sweat in long sleeves and hoodie tops or try and hide under towels on the beach? I agree that fitted clothes look great on curvy women. asda do some great t shirts with slightly longer sleeves. Accept you are a work in progress and wear a swimming cossie on the beach.! That's exactly what I plan to do this weekend and if people think I look awful.......tough!
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #8  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 314.15/289.9/150

Height: 5"8

I couldn't give 2 hoots when the weather changes like this. I'm sitting in the front garden with my legs out, maxi dress hitched up to my knees, sun glasses on and a glass of water with ice. I don't normally cope well with heat but today I'm enjoying it... Losing those few lbs have already helped. BRING ON THE SUMMER!!!
LozzCowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 288/288/175

Height: 174cm

Your best bet, though it's perhaps the hardest option, is working on eliminating the embarrassment you feel. I'm guessing you don't like people to see your flesh because you think there's far too much of it, and I know exactly how that feels. I spent my entire teenage years in baggy t-shirts and jumpers, trying to hide myself so no one would notice quite how fat I was. In hindsight, all I did was make myself feel bad. Not only did baggy clothes make me look worse, I was also reinforcing my own belief that I was too hideous to be inflicted on the general public.

I'll second what Aclai4067 says about baggy versus fitted clothes. Making the jump can be intimidating though. I managed it by going to visit my sister in another city for a week - I took some fitted vest tops with me, and I made myself wear them out of the house. Whenever my brain started getting overwhelmed with its own cries of "but you're hideous!" I told it "that's as may be, but none of the people I see today know me, and none of them will ever see me again, and so their opinion of me does not matter".

So my (long, rambly) advice would be to find a friend with an eye for fashion, and go shopping. Aim for fitted but not tight clothes, as skimpy or as all-covering as you like. And then wear them! And remember: you have a right to feel comfortable and look good. You don't have to hide the sight of you from other people.
Brid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 406/394/200

Height: 5"7

That's how I feel now, MissSMcC... I used to worry, but then I figured there is no magic clothing that will make me look slim, I look big in everything because I am. So I might as well wear what I like!!

Enjoy your style and wear what you like, this will bring confidence over worry of size. You are your own harshest critic, I bet other people aren't thinking you look bad in the T shirt.

My only rule though is well fitting clothes- I believe this for everyone; clothes that is not too tight or too baggy look very nice, and it is most flattering too. A thing I cannot wear is tops wear you can see where my belly button is through it. I just get really embarrassed about that!!
JoseLo is offline   Reply With Quote