Exercise! - Curves

View Full Version : Curves

papes
03-24-2003, 07:49 AM
Hi, I just joined curves. I like it, and the work out is good. I was wondering if anyone else goes to curves. And what type of results have to seen?

lotsacurves
03-31-2003, 09:20 AM
Hello, papes. I joined Curves about three weeks ago and am loving it. It is the first time in my life that I've ever considered exercising FUN!!! The only noticeable results I have seen thus far include sleeping better, having more energy, having no more aches and pains and having my jeans go on a bit easier.

I have only been going three times a week but have a friend who goes every day plus does 20 minutes of pilates several times a week. She has already changed dress sizes and is looking good.

I love it for the upbeat music and actually have more fun "dancing" on the aerobic platform between the machines than on the machines themselves. Best part is I work up a sweat like I never did before and feel soooo good less than an hour later.

Marsha

Idealperson
03-31-2003, 03:46 PM
Happy Monday! I joined Curves last week and went 5 times-I really enjoy the work out and the music, too. I weigh-in tonight at Weight Watchers, so I hope to see the fruits of my labor. It is a great workout and you aren't sore after wards. I am anxious to get back to Curves after work tonight, and I have never been an exercise person. Try it!

Misti in Seattle
04-04-2003, 09:28 AM
Hello

When Curves first opened in our area, I was going to check it out... but was amazed to find they close at 6 PM weekdays and are not open on weekends. That certainly eliminates a huge portion of us... i.e. most of the people with JOBS. :cb:

Sue

lizziness
04-09-2003, 11:33 PM
There isn't one close enough to me that I can go - since I do not use a car. Also, as stated before ... if you have a job it's kind of hard to get there in time.

My husband's aunt lost A LOT of weight there though, and absolutely loves it. She lost it all fairly quickly too.

I must say though, one of the people who runs the local curves actually handed me a pamphlet and an offer for a free week when I was cashiering at work, and I was so offended and pissed. Like, hello - maybe I WANT to be fat? no, seriously though... I work in retail and have had multiple people try to sell me their weightloss plan, or make-up, or religion.... while I am trying to work! That's the main reason I decided not to check them out. I'm such a baby. :)

GibsonGirl1957
04-12-2003, 02:51 AM
I have been thinking about Curves and was wondering if anyone could tell me the cost of their program? There is one jsut a few blocks from my house.

Thanks!

Mark&Ivy'smom
04-12-2003, 03:31 AM
Hi, I was just wondering if someone could tell me what curves actually is. Is it a gym? And if you know a way whether or not I can find out if there is one around me. Thanks!!

*Jen*

Amarantha2
04-12-2003, 03:34 AM
I was really enthusiastic about Curves at first but the honeymoon was short lived. I got tired of doing the routine after three weeks. Still, lots of people really enjoy the workout and find it works for them, so that's great!

For me, joining the full-service fitness center was more cost effective. I can go as often as I like ... it's open six days a week from early morning to late at night (except Saturdays when the hours are shorter). I can do the weight machines, the free weights, the whirlpool, swimming pool, cardio machines, classes, etc., etc., had a free massage, two free sessions with trainer ... all at a fraction of what Curves cost for just weighing, measuring and doing a limited circuit training workout. Also, Curves is only open here five days a week and it is closed from 1 to 4 p.m. on those five days and you can only go once a day ... which is plenty, but with the gym I can do two quick sessions if busy.

But this is not a slam against Curves, which is a fine program ... just not what I wanted. But it's a good fit for some people. Everyone is different.

Amarantha2
04-12-2003, 03:43 AM
P.S. Jen, Curves has a website that you can find w/search engine ... but it's easy to spot them if you see them in your neighborhood ... they usually have a big sign ... they are small mini-gyms using hydraulic equipment sized for women ... the number of machines varies ... between machines are aerobic platforms ... they play a recorded set of instructions interspersed with music ... people come in and hop on the circuit at any free point ... alternating the resistance machines with walking in place on the platforms ... you go around the circuit three times to equal a 30-minute workout and you're done ... every seven minutes the tape prompts everyone to stand at the station they are at and take a heartrate check ... I found it quite annoying, especially as the instructor kept asking me what my heartrate was ... it was distracting when I just wanted to enjoy exercising.

wundawoman
04-13-2003, 05:21 PM
A couple of gals I work with have joined Curves. So far, they feel positive about it, although I find it hard to believe that one of them lost 3 inches from each thigh and 7 lbs. of fat after only three weeks...and she only goes 2-3 x a week. (They keep computerized tabs on you.) I've been working out in a regular gym for much more than that and have maybe lost one inch from each thigh.

I asked how the hydraulics work because everyone is at a different fitness level (y'know some folks can only lift 5 lbs. while others can lift 20 etc.) and one gal explained to me that the faster you go with the hydraulics, the heavier the weights seem to be. This is good for beginners, but once you get into serious weight training, it would seem to me, you'd have to pump really fast to get results and maybe hurt yourself in the long run.

I'm not knocking the program either because I think it's a great entry into weight and circuit training for those who have never done it before.

trixiepup
04-14-2003, 05:34 PM
My friend really enjoys the Curves gym. But she is in her 60s, and it's a nice woman friendly place where she is not intimidated by the gadgets and machines.

I looked into it, but all the ones around me have short hours, so I wouldn't actually be able to attend. Besides, I get my work gym for about $10/month and I can go every day except Sundays until 11pm.

bella23
04-16-2003, 11:50 PM
I just joined curves and the one I go to is open from 6am-6pm monday - friday and open from 8am-1pm on saturday. They don't have any breaks during the day and the one that I go to has free weights, an aerobic room that has different aerobic, yoga, kickboxing through the day, and aerobic machines like an eliptical trainer, treadmill, and bike. They also have a weight loss program and suppliments that are also included in the price.

The price I paid was $29 down and $29 a month. I didn't think that was all that bad. It does take me more then a half an hour to get around the circut three times. And they are getting more machines.

As far as how hard it is, I have lifted weights for the past 8 years and I found the resistance on the machines almost challanging.

I like it there, it's friendly and I don't have to worry about weird looks from the skinny people. All the people at the curves I go to are very nice.

Bella23

BetsyBG
04-17-2003, 01:24 PM
I just called the Curves that recently opened in my neck of the woods, and made an appointment for Monday. Right now, registration (normally $149.00) is half off, and monthly dues are $39.

I'm so gelatinous at this point that I know I will feel better in this environment than among the hardbodies at the gym. When I outgrow the challenge or feel better about myself, I'll move on :)

Idealperson
04-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Hi, I am back again to update...my first month at Curves and I've lost 8 pounds and 7 inches (overall). My muscles have never been sore, but they do feel "worked". I pay $29 ea. month and our center is open from 6am-7 pm Mon-Fri.

gypsyjoy
04-19-2003, 02:22 AM
I have been going to Curves for about 4 months and have lost about 15 inches. I like the fact that it's just women and I can fit in a complete workout in only 30 minutes.

bobsgal
04-29-2003, 11:44 AM
I just joined Curves yesterday and had my first workout today. I absolutely love it. I paid $49 to join and $29 per month.
Steph

sam
05-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Curves isn't for everyone. If you want to build muscle and get that lean muscular look then Curves is definitely not for you. Curves promotes toning and not muscle building.

Curves is in a circuit, you have machines that target your upper body as well as your lower body, you receive a full body workout in the 30 minutes you are there. In between each machine is a "recovery board" this is where you are going to get a cardio workout. Women either run, jump, march, do something to keep moving in between the machines.

All the machines are on hydraulics and yes the faster you move them the better the resistence you are going to get. You shouldn't hurt yourself either going faster. Depending on the club you change stations every 30 or 35 seconds (depends how many machines they have). That may seem like a short time on machines, but if you are giving your all on the machines, you can't wait for the que tape to tell you to move.

Your heart rate is checked every 7 or 7 1/2 minutes. It is important for the staff to keep tabs on your heart rate. If your heart is racing, this is not good and you need to slow down. A healthy heart is a slow beating heart. I think we are programed that the faster your heart rate is the better your workout. If you have a fast heart rate you are building muscle instead of toning.

All Curves locations have different hours, they are not all the same. Where I am ours are open from either 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. with no closures during the day.

Your 30 minute workout at Curves is equivalent to 1 1/2 hours in a regular gym.

Remember Curves isn't for everyone, everyone needs to find what is good for them.

Happy Exercising

Sandy

Caledon
05-01-2003, 03:44 PM
I go to a regular gym, but have been listening to the commercials about curves and it looks interesting. It seems to work. My gym has a standard set of machines that they tell all members to use during 8-12 reps. per machine. It takes about 1/2 hour to complete.

IF you are changing machies every 1/2 min. it would seem to me that you just get on and it's time to move. And what about wiping down the machines after use. I sweat very easily and I wipe down the equpment before & after I use it. So depending on who is in front of you, you could be getting onto a sweaty machine. Yuk, that does not appeal to me.

Amby876
05-20-2003, 06:18 PM
I joined Curves yesterday (didn't plan it so i didn't get in a workout)...I am going tonight to get in a workout...it's a good start.

I ordered the Winsor Pilates DVD's yesterday, I should receive them in about 2-3 weeks...

I have wondered why there isn't more threads on Curves...

cathlaur
05-21-2003, 04:41 PM
Curves is a great program and yes it is not for everyone. I am so happy to have found it. I go 3 days a week on my lunch hour. Because I can do that I love it. If the program was longer than 30 mins I would not get it in. I feel great. When I get home I have exercised and my family benefits from that as much or more than I do.

Take care

Katie

Amby876
05-22-2003, 08:32 PM
I am going tonite for my 2nd time...I am in really bad shape, so after just one time around I feel like I am about to pass out...I have to get my bopdy used to getting off my behind! I did a 2 mile bike ride this morning...In this hot weather in CA...it can take alot out of you...

I can't wait until next month and see how much i have lost!

bobsgal
05-28-2003, 02:14 PM
I got weighed and measured today and I lost 14 lbs and 9.5 inches in my first month. I love it. I'm still going strong. This kind of loss just motivates me more.
Steph

Carnation
05-28-2003, 06:31 PM
Congratulations on your success with Curves!!!

I'm glad you like it - I've just re-upped for my second year and love it!

Amby876
05-28-2003, 11:54 PM
I have been going for a week and a half now...I can't wait to be measured and weighed next month! I am looking foward to it!

Merrick
05-30-2003, 12:32 AM
Hey to all the success, great job, keep it up.

Curves has been ok for me, when I am able to go. The time restrictions are really hard for me. They do not have any babysitting and if I want to go I have to find a sitter and the hours are short. But it is not a bad program. I have been going on and off since January. I have not been measure or weighed since I started. Because I have not been consistant. I also just started Weight Watchers. Something has to help.

Merrick

mayday
06-10-2003, 04:20 PM
I work from 8am to 5pm and when I do get lunch it's only 1/2 hour so I can't go to a Curves facility. I noticed in the Diet Bookstore, there's a book called Curves. Has anyone used just the book and gotten results?

Loosinit
06-10-2003, 06:39 PM
From what I've seen of the book, it's pretty much a 'history' of how Curves got started, it's success, etc. I also think they spell our the Curves diet plan.

It would be impossible to do the exercises at home unless you had a gym set up.

The Curves in our area is now open from 6:30 am until 7:30 pm ...you might check at the one close to you to see if the hours have changed for summer. I love it! :dancer:

summergrl
06-11-2003, 11:21 AM
Hi ladies! I was looking for ideas on exercise and read your thread on Curves. I looked around and ended up joining a Curves like place called 1/2 hour Fitness. They are new to my area and not as busy and they were way nicer than the lady I talked to at Curves. Anyway, the workout is the same and I love it. I am really looking forward to losing weight again. I lost 65 lbs two years ago with Weight Watchers and NO excercise. Then it stopped. I couldn't lose anymore. I went for two years thinking that I could somehow weasel out of exercising and have finally come to realize that getting fit is the only way I will ever lose the rest of this chub. So now I am doing a lower carb Weight Watchers/Somersize combination of way of eating (just trying to find what works best for me) and now finally getting some exercise. So I just wanted to thank you ladies for motivating me to try Curves(or something like). I love the workout and feel great!

Summer

SpazzyKC
06-26-2003, 06:51 PM
I've been a Curves member for 2 weeks now... and have gone 5 times. I absolutely LOVE it. I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow's workout! Woohoo!

glynne
06-27-2003, 01:21 AM
I just joined Curves today, I like it so far. I hope this is finally going to help me make some progress.

Gayle