Alternachicks - "you're too fat for that piercing"

Misa66
05-23-2012, 07:05 AM
Yeah...this is exactly what I was thinking the Piercer was thinking when I went to get my belly button pierced 2 years ago.
I was about 155lbs which is not "fat-fat" but I for sure had a big tire muffin top. I went with my friend who got her tongue pierced, the piercing part wasn't bad at all but the comment my friend said was "aww it looks so cute when you were laying down!" I know she didn't mean this in a bad way but man did that make me feel like a whale :/
I only kept it about 3 months because it wasn't healing at all, which I'm sure my fat roll was the culprit. I ended up with an ugly dark scar from it which is just a reminder to me of how badly I want to lose weight....and maybe if I get the courage I'll go back to that place and get it done once again if it's possible :)

Thedollylala
05-23-2012, 10:38 AM
The great thing about piercings is that they can be removed or redone I don't think your friend meant it badly, but sometimes the body rejects piercjngs not cause you're possibly over weight. It could have been the material they used.

Raven132
05-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Like DollyLala said, it could have been the materials. It also could be that the placement wasn't right for you. That really must have sucked, though. My tongue piercing closed up years ago and I want it back very badly.

Aclai4067
05-23-2012, 10:42 PM
You may just be sensitive to body piercings. My sister has always been small and her belly button ring took ages to heal.

caramelkitty
05-23-2012, 10:46 PM
My first nose piercing fell out and got rejected as well.

To be honest, I always thought I was too fat for belly rings too... now I promised myself that when I lose the remainder of the weight and my stomach goes "flat" I'll get a piercing :)

Misa66
05-23-2012, 11:13 PM
No no Ive had snakebites and my septum pierced using ring made of the same material and my body never rejected those. My belly button sadly is right in the fold of my fat rolls so when sitting down or bending over the skin rubs and and yeah it got to the point that my inside fatty flesh was starting to come out from one of the holes. the friction that would happen on the piercing kept it from healing

amandie
05-23-2012, 11:43 PM
I understand what you mean, Misa. Less friction when you're smaller. I am sooo scared of getting my belly done, worried that I'd accidentally get it caught on something or whatever. Ack.

Misa66
05-24-2012, 06:06 AM
Amandie, heh no don't worry, I've had my earrings and lip rings get stuck on way more things than my belly button ever did. The piercing part didn't really hurt at all, it was the week after that did. Now a days I think belly piercings are over rated and would rather get my septum pierced again or some dermhals but I'm glad I at least got to "try it out"

amandie
05-24-2012, 03:24 PM
I do have a lip piercing with labret stud. Never really got it caught on anything though I chipped a freaking tooth on it last year- I was using a replacement stud that was a bit longer at the time. >_<

JessicaB
05-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Navel piercings are unfortunately one of the piercings that don't always work well for people who are a bit heavier. It has more to do with the shape of the navel as you gain weight, the ledge where the piercing goes tends to round out a bit and doesn't support the piercing as well. Of course, if you have rubbing from extra weight, that doesn't help at all either.

Of course, I'm not saying this is the culprit, it could have been incorrectly placed, or you could have a nickle allergy (most places use stainless steel which is good for most people, but contains a small amount of nickle. If you are sensitive to it, then titanium is the best thing to use, as gold actually contains a bit of nickle as well).

I used to be a piercer, back before I decided I couldn't make a comfortable living off of it, and it was always a bit of an uncomfortable subject, trying to explain to some girls why I wouldn't pierce their navel. But as I said, it was always about the shape of the navel, just heavier girls are more likely to have a shape that doesn't support a piercing well. Some skinny girls are ill suited to the piercing as well though, so it really is just anatomy dependent.

JessicaB
05-29-2012, 09:58 AM
A good reputable piercer should be able to tell you if your navel is suitable for a piercing. Unfortunately, most piercers are paid on a per piercing basis, so there are some out there who will do the piercing even if they think it will reject, just for the money.

LeilaJey
05-29-2012, 10:00 AM
I had my eyebrow done when I was younger and it fell out one day, I tried to put it back but there was nothing there haha, woops.

These things happen, hey more motivation to get it done again eh :)

tinneranne2
07-26-2012, 05:33 PM
The placement of the piercing on the body, anyones body, makes it hard to heal. You're always bending, twisting..clothes are rubbing up against it.

tnc0712
07-29-2012, 02:01 AM
I wanted a navel piercing, until I realized that it might not even heal once I had it pierced. Plus, my body hates metal. Out of 20 something holes, only 3 of them stuck.

modifyeddoll87
02-07-2013, 05:07 PM
i see this is an old post but i just wanted to say ... talk to your piercer about your navel before ruling it out

it depends on how your belly is shaped , i am over 200 lbs and got my belly button done just recentley with no issues what so ever ,

of corse i wouldent show it to anyone but i enjoy that little bit of sparkle in my tummy when i look in the mirror my fiance likes it too ,

RaisingThemLeft
02-18-2013, 02:16 PM
I got my navel pierced 17 years ago when I was 19 and I still have it :) I was fairly thin when I got it but it took forever to heal. This was before ultra low rise jeans too, so pants were always rubbing up against it. I took it out when I was pregnant, then put it back in when I was done having kids like 4 years later (which meant pretty much repiercing it- I did it myself because I would have been embarrassed to go get it done at that point). It healed, even though I was very overweight when I put it back in.

whitb05
03-22-2013, 12:00 PM
I got my belly pierced at 18 and at a much smaller size then I am now. After gaining weight I took it out. When I reach my goal I'll get it repierced :) Except this time I'll go with the top of my belly button. The bottom was seriously the most painful piercing I had.

IanG
03-23-2013, 06:21 PM
I got my ears pierced in my late teens. Three times on the left and twice on the right. I removed the earrings for good when I was 21.

A few days ago, 17 years on, I tried to put an earring in and all of the holes except one are still open! Yikes!

I almost started wearing an earring again until I made the important observation that earrings for men have not been in fashion since the 90s. Lucky me.

Alyssa Autopsy
03-30-2013, 03:00 AM
Navel piercings are unfortunately one of the piercings that don't always work well for people who are a bit heavier. It has more to do with the shape of the navel as you gain weight, the ledge where the piercing goes tends to round out a bit and doesn't support the piercing as well. Of course, if you have rubbing from extra weight, that doesn't help at all either.

Of course, I'm not saying this is the culprit, it could have been incorrectly placed, or you could have a nickle allergy (most places use stainless steel which is good for most people, but contains a small amount of nickle. If you are sensitive to it, then titanium is the best thing to use, as gold actually contains a bit of nickle as well).

I used to be a piercer, back before I decided I couldn't make a comfortable living off of it, and it was always a bit of an uncomfortable subject, trying to explain to some girls why I wouldn't pierce their navel. But as I said, it was always about the shape of the navel, just heavier girls are more likely to have a shape that doesn't support a piercing well. Some skinny girls are ill suited to the piercing as well though, so it really is just anatomy dependent.i didn't know surgical steel had nickel in it, no wonder my lips got infected and swelled to the size of a sausage!!

i have had allergic reaction to EVERYTHING i have tried so far, to the point where i don't have any piercings anymore. i was thinking, for my birthday, i'll be getting $100 cash from my grandpa... thought of using it to buy some titanium rings and try getting piercings again. i'm gonna start with my ears this time though, as the lip infection was ****... it actually got SO infected that i couldn't take the rings out normally, i had to basically COAT my lip in oragel to try and numb it, because even TOUCHING the ring caused intense pain.

i want the following piercings (hopefully... eventually...), which ones are more likely to reject?
both ears all the way around with an industrial in one and conch in the other, septum, smiley, 2 rings on one eyebrow, dimples, double snakebites, spiderbites, back of neck, navel, and dermals in my hips, collar, wrists, and ankles.

i also have thought about getting horn implants, but i scar very easily so i changed my mind about that one, and i'd love corset piercings down my back but i know those are temporary so i'm not getting it done.

i also like split tongues but i'm afraid of even getting my tongue pierced. idk why, i just have this overwhelming fear of "they will do it wrong and i will have a lisp for the rest of my life". idk why because i've gotten piercings before and half my friends have tongue rings, but the tongue and girlyparts are basically the only places i don't want done xP i would love to be a metal face, right now all i have is a couple crappy homemade tattoos and one professional one.

whitb05
04-01-2013, 11:22 PM
i didn't know surgical steel had nickel in it, no wonder my lips got infected and swelled to the size of a sausage!!

i have had allergic reaction to EVERYTHING i have tried so far, to the point where i don't have any piercings anymore. i was thinking, for my birthday, i'll be getting $100 cash from my grandpa... thought of using it to buy some titanium rings and try getting piercings again. i'm gonna start with my ears this time though, as the lip infection was ****... it actually got SO infected that i couldn't take the rings out normally, i had to basically COAT my lip in oragel to try and numb it, because even TOUCHING the ring caused intense pain.

i want the following piercings (hopefully... eventually...), which ones are more likely to reject?
both ears all the way around with an industrial in one and conch in the other, septum, smiley, 2 rings on one eyebrow, dimples, double snakebites, spiderbites, back of neck, navel, and dermals in my hips, collar, wrists, and ankles.

i also have thought about getting horn implants, but i scar very easily so i changed my mind about that one, and i'd love corset piercings down my back but i know those are temporary so i'm not getting it done.

i also like split tongues but i'm afraid of even getting my tongue pierced. idk why, i just have this overwhelming fear of "they will do it wrong and i will have a lisp for the rest of my life". idk why because i've gotten piercings before and half my friends have tongue rings, but the tongue and girlyparts are basically the only places i don't want done xP i would love to be a metal face, right now all i have is a couple crappy homemade tattoos and one professional one.

I've heard surface and dermal piercings reject real easy. I want some so bad but no matter how many times I get pierced or tattooed I am such a baby! lol I also am seriously in love with corset piercings! I think my next will be my web...If I ever build up the courage lol

Jez
04-01-2013, 11:53 PM
I almost started wearing an earring again until I made the important observation that earrings for men have not been in fashion since the 90s. Lucky me. Haha. The standard body piercings aren't really fashionable anymore, either. So, if you want to wear them, do it because you want to. :p Though, that is the perk of piercings. You can remove them when the novelty wears off. Tattoos on the other hand.... Sometimes you end up doing all sorts of lasering of the old "wtf was I thinking?" ones, and/or covering with more timeless pieces. :^:

CherryPie99
04-03-2013, 04:51 PM
After my excess skin got removed, the belly button died - so I got it pierced 2.5 weeks ago (it's my only piercing other then the standard ear ones). It's considered a "surface piercing" because there is no "lip" and apparently there is a large chance of rejection.

Any opinions on how this looks 2.5 weeks in?

http://i46.tinypic.com/k0fzue.jpg

McMurphy
04-03-2013, 06:28 PM
After my excess skin got removed, the belly button died - so I got it pierced 2.5 weeks ago (it's my only piercing other then the standard ear ones). It's considered a "surface piercing" because there is no "lip" and apparently there is a large chance of rejection.

Any opinions on how this looks 2.5 weeks in?

If at some point you notice less and less skin between the balls, like your skin is pulling away from the jewelry, then it's rejecting.

sherry1990
04-09-2013, 03:26 AM
I was told by a professional that only surface piercings can reject. Such as dermals, eyebrows, navel. I've have 8 right now. I used to have 10. The other two were my tongue and navel. I shut my navel ring in a drawer and it tore a little so I took it right out and now I have a scar there. I'm getting the bottom part done after I lose my weight. If you ever notice a piercing starting to reject take it out immediately unless you want it to push right up through your skin. I've heard it's pretty painful. Also there is the chance that the piercing can migrate before it actually rejects. This is all advice from a from a friend of mine looking to go into the field. His advice always helped me.

Clumsy
04-10-2013, 03:06 AM
Confession: I would like to get my septum pierced but I'm afraid to invite the comparison to a cow or pig. Just me?

Alyssa Autopsy
04-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Confession: I would like to get my septum pierced but I'm afraid to invite the comparison to a cow or pig. Just me?

my boyfriend calls it the bullring piercing xP idc, i think it's hot, and i'm gonna get it done one day eventually

MistressMikuru
04-10-2013, 02:06 PM
I'm getting snakebite rings and a bridge piercing. I'm worried that because I'm a bigger girl it will cause people to sterotype me even further than they already do. :/

modifyeddoll87
05-29-2013, 02:28 AM
mistressmikuru labels be damned if you like it ... do it !!!

i miss my labret peircing like no other i took it out because of some tooth and gum issues but boy do i ever miss my little bit of sparkle , i feel like ... not me :(

kaplods
05-29-2013, 02:49 AM
I have an painful infection in my navel right now that I'm having a hard time getting rid of. No piercing, just the infection, but when I looked up online how to treat the infection I found a lot of piercing info. Apparently navel infections (piercing or no) are more common in larger folks, but aren't uncommon in thin folks, either. They're also apparently notoriously difficult to treat at times, lickily I'm seeing my doctor on Thursday.

I am considering piercings or tattoos to celebrate weight loss, but I have a naturally pierced septum. I could wear a bullring in my nose if I wanted, as autoimmune disease ate a quarter-sized hole in my septum. I had surgery to close the hole, but the surgery was only partially successful (now I have a dime-sized hole). I've thought about wearing a ring, but the hole is a little deeper in than your average septum piercing. I think it would be king of funny to go in to the piercing shops to see what they had to fit my "natural" piercing.

The only thing stopping me is knowing how much trouble I have as it is keeping the area clean and clear of well, you know, crusty accumulations. When I had a sepal button (essentially, a piercing that doesn't show, it's a "snap" that closes the hole) it was even worse.

Clumsy
07-11-2013, 02:21 PM
I went ahead and got that septum piercing and it looks freaking fantastic.

SarahLouise92
08-08-2013, 10:59 AM
I want my navel pierced when I reach my goal weight! That my major reward.

PrincessKLS
11-08-2013, 11:26 AM
I don't have any body piercings but I have a tattoo that's in the small of my back that isn't going to be affected by weight loss but I've considered getting more on other parts of my body that are fat, but if I get them now, I don't know how they will turn out when I do lose weight.