Ideal Protein Diet - How long before other people notice?

Copperhead31
05-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Ok, so I have lost about 24 pounds and have gone from size 18 to size 14. And I am discouraged. Why? Because no one, and I mean NO ONE, not family or coworkers or friends, has mentioned they noticed a difference. These are the same people who used to ask me if I "really needed" that piece of cake, etc. Urgh!
How long was it for you before other people mentioned your weight loss?

Aclai4067
05-22-2012, 04:25 PM
This can be highly individual, depending on how much you weigh and how you carry it. I had lost over 20 before anyone noticed. Also, some people are uncomfortable commenting. You've done an awesome job. Keep it up!

sandralosingweight
05-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Well... I totally understand cause I totally relate, I wanted everybody to see and acknowledge my effort and I wished everybody would have told me how great I was doing and that it was showing, unfortunately, it does not happen this way, people usually avoid talking about other's appearance in general.

I remember once I was talking to my colleague and at that point I have lost about 40 pounds or more and I told her since I lost weight, I had to buy new clothes, so she replied: ''yeah, it shows that you lost, how much did you lose by now, like 10 pounds?'' so I was disheartened and answered her ''more like 40!!''

I want to send you positive energy and advise you not to even care what others think or say, just enjoy your new you. :hug:

shathom
05-22-2012, 04:44 PM
I think it is harder for people to notice a difference when they see you every day. Some will comment and be happy for you and some will be haters and not comment or try to discourage you. Hang tough, you are doing fantastic:D

Smooches!

Shrinking Sandra
05-22-2012, 05:30 PM
last year when I did IP people started to comment when i lost 40lbs. Also a lot of people don't like to comment on weight. there is a woman I work with who I think looks smaller, but I don't want to ask her if shes losing weight, or even tell her she looks great. I have a fear of doing this incase there is a medical reason. I once told someone she lost a lot of weight and looks amazing...her reply "it's because I have cancer, the chemo is making me lose weight" Never again will I comment.

darbs7
05-22-2012, 05:33 PM
I started IP in September of 2010....by November down 40 pounds...some people noticed....right after Christmas break down 60 pounds from a size 18 to a size 10 a ton of people noticed.....

The most compliments came during the lose of the next 15 or so when I went to a size 8.

Very few people noticed the first 40 pounds. I say as a general rule not until you've lost 50% of what you want to lose.

FabBy40Angel
05-22-2012, 05:33 PM
My family didn't say anything until the other day I needed a hug from my 21 year old, who didn't want to give it and she said, wow mom, I feel a difference.

finn
05-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Not until I'd lost about 20% of my start weight

Kaypix
05-22-2012, 06:56 PM
My personal theory is :Never soon enough! DH notices because he has an eye for detail, but my mom hasn't noticed yet, although my mother in law has, or one of them (step mom in law), and I'm down 22 pounds from April 4th, and still, nothin'... *sigh* Oh well it's not that big of a deal. When I'm slinking around in smaller sizes , they'll notice :)

Longhorn Energy
05-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Ok, so I have lost about 24 pounds and have gone from size 18 to size 14. And I am discouraged. Why? Because no one, and I mean NO ONE, not family or coworkers or friends, has mentioned they noticed a difference. These are the same people who used to ask me if I "really needed" that piece of cake, etc. Urgh!
How long was it for you before other people mentioned your weight loss?

How about some 'tough love' LOL???

Are you doing for others or are you doing this for yourself?? I of course dont know you or your motivation, but have to assume you are doing this for yourself. Getting noticed by others should not matter as long as you are happy with what you are doing for yourself....

Dont get me wrong, it will be great when others do notice, but that should neither encourage or discourage you while on your journey.

Keep your head up, remember why you are doing this, and carry on. 24# is great and you should be proud.

paulimapi
05-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Some people don't like to comment. I don't comment on anyone's weight, ever. I feel like it might make them uncomfortable, I don't know haha

Aud007
05-22-2012, 08:58 PM
I have the opposite problem...a colleague of mine lost on the program and he kind of got me on board. Since then, when people ask him how he did it, he talks about the program and then mention I'm on it too and how much I've lost so far...that means people I don't even know come to congratulate me for my loss!!! That happened more than a dozen times... Kind of weird in my opinion but the good part is that it keeps me accountable, I don't want to fail ;-) And my parents, wanting so badly to encourage me had this huge reaction (after my first loss of 6 lbs) - my mom was like "OMG...you look so much thinner". I laughed and thanked her for being so supportive. But all of that keeps me doubting that it really shows ;-)

Momofckl
05-22-2012, 09:48 PM
I have lost about 45 lbs and only a few people have noticed. My husband of course and then my mom....she lives far away and visited recently. I have had a few people here and there notice but not of many. I was talking about the diet to a few moms I see very weekend at baseball and one asked me how long I was doing it when I said 12 weeks she asked how much weight I had lost. I told her 45 lbs and all the women were shocked and of course told me I look great, etc. I think they were actually thinking wow you lost that much weight and you are still fat!! just kidding....sort of. All the other women but 1 are pretty thin.

I also agree that a lot of people are afraid to comment as weight is a touchy subject.

Tmg1989
05-22-2012, 10:00 PM
After 40lbs folks really started to notice. Some commented around the 30lb mark. Don't fret! It will happen quickly!

Kaypix
05-22-2012, 11:40 PM
I do not think people will notice for me until I hit probably 35-40 lbs lost, but I know that I'LL notice, and dangit that is what matters!

LizRR
05-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Not until ~35lb did I get comments, but I work with a bunch of older men and I don't think they comment much on stuff like that (weight, hair, etc).

Longhorn Energy
05-23-2012, 12:26 AM
Not until ~35lb did I get comments, but I work with a bunch of older men and I don't think they comment much on stuff like that (weight, hair, etc).

Heck, we (men) hardly recognize when something is different with our wives, how the heck would we notice someone we work with LOL

Dont tell me wife I said that....Im still in trouble for something (wasnt really listening)....

YankeeLady57
05-23-2012, 08:00 AM
I am at 25 lbs lost and starting to get comments.....on my hair! :) They know *something* is different but can't quite say what, yet. LOL.

sanibelover
05-23-2012, 08:19 AM
I don't want anyone to notice. I just want to do IP, lose the weight and move on. Guess that comes from wanting to be invisible. Maybe that will change, but right now I am comfortable with no one knowing I am dieting and no one saying anything. Sounds kind of pathetic, huh?

Meadow Wheeler
05-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Well for what it is worth...I just told my coworkers. I figured it was easier to tell them because we have a potluck once a month and I brought food for the first one but was only on day 5 of my IP journey. I told them I loved them all but that I was going to the lunchroom to eat. They have been very supportive. Some seem to actively be watching for the changes and cheering me on. That approach is working for me. I didn't need anyone else to notice because I am doing this for myself but it is really nice to know that the people you work with care.

170starting
05-23-2012, 08:58 AM
For me, it was around 35 pounds before people started noticing... even then, it was few and far between.

Now that I have lost almost 60, people have been commenting a lot... especially in the last week. :o

lucky8
05-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Ive lost 2 stone and people have just started commenting......however i think some people notice but just dont say .........people can be wired when you lose weight x

usmcvet
05-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Well no one noticed mine (except my coach) and I just broke 70# in 7 weeks. It kinda sucks when you don't hear it but I feel sooooo much better and. Everything is just easier now and I am motivated to keep loosing. Tomorrow is WI #8 for me and I am already nervous. I really want to hit 75# then 83.3 is my next goal because that will mark 1/3 of the way to goal. I meet with my boss weekly and told him yesterday, he was surprised and very supportive. I know some people just don't mention weigh issues or feel comfortable mentioning them. I would not be here if I had not noticed a friends WL. I saw him at training on 3-28-12 and asked him how much weight he'd lost, he looked great. He was down 55# and told me about IP. I went to a meeting that night and joined the next day. Week 1 I lost 25#'s!!! Mostly water. And I felt so much better.

Keep working it and come here with your weekly goals and losses. I promise we will ooh and ahh because we know how hard it is to do what you've done. Keep up the hard work.

:bravo::grouphug:

hyrysk
05-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Heck, we (men) hardly recognize when something is different with our wives, how the heck would we notice someone we work with LOL

Dont tell me wife I said that....Im still in trouble for something (wasnt really listening)....

Amen :D:D:D

love2travelmom
05-23-2012, 01:34 PM
I don't think people will notice until I lost 40-50 pounds. But my fiance and I are doing this diet together and he's noticing mine and I notice his so that is enough for us.

Doing it together is making it MUCH easier.

However when I see other people that I know have lost weight I just say "wow...you're looking great" I try not to focus on the # as it sometimes embarrasses people.

I carry my weight well and no one guesses (even my firance was surprised how heavy I was at the consultation) my true weight.

CkM
05-23-2012, 02:04 PM
It is always nice to hear from others that you look great and all but a motivator of mine is to hear it when I have lost all of the weight! I keep a pair of my skinny jeans out on my dresser so I see them daily to remind myself what I am working so hard for! I haven't seen my husband in a month and I highly doubt that when I see him this weekend he will notice. He has never seen me at this weight before(I was 165 when we started dating.) I am not hung up on him noticing too much, because he isn't the reason I am doing it :)

Chikara
05-24-2012, 01:00 AM
My experience so far doing this with DH is that people have started to comment to him how great he looks, has he lost weight?, what is he doing? ..even you look 20 years younger...!!! Me...standing right beside him gets nothing...not a word! Very strange. Either it doesn't show much...or people are afraid to comment on weight to a woman in case they offend her? A few close girlfriends have noticed but otherwise not as much feedback as my DH is getting. I don't really care...I just tried on a dress that I couldn't even zip up the back not too long ago and it is now too big! That made my day!!

Mountain Mamma
05-24-2012, 01:23 AM
I remember once I was talking to my colleague and at that point I have lost about 40 pounds or more and I told her since I lost weight, I had to buy new clothes, so she replied: ''yeah, it shows that you lost, how much did you lose by now, like 10 pounds?'' so I was disheartened and answered her ''more like 40!!''

AND

I was talking about the diet to a few moms I see very weekend at baseball and one asked me how long I was doing it when I said 12 weeks she asked how much weight I had lost. I told her 45 lbs and all the women were shocked and of course told me I look great, etc. I think they were actually thinking wow you lost that much weight and you are still fat!! just kidding....sort of. All the other women but 1 are pretty thin.

People are sometimes surprised at the actual number of pounds someone's lost because they didn't think that person was that heavy in the first place. We are our harshest critics!

explore
05-24-2012, 07:20 AM
I'm much like Sanibelover. I like to be invisible too. I also don't really notice other people's weight loss or gain unless it is very very dramatic. I am careful to comment because I know how intensely personal this can be.

dizzyjean
05-24-2012, 08:57 AM
I, too, wonder how people don't comment. I guess we all look at each other, and yet don't really see. I think I have not yet lost enough yet. Less than 15 pounds at this point.
But we all k ow, and see, and know this weight loss it because of staying really focused and working hard!!

dizzyjean
05-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Kaypix- haha! You are so right!

EatMoreCelery
05-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Another thought is that people may not notice as easily if you're still wearing the same clothes you wore at your heavier weight. ;)

sprite613
05-24-2012, 09:43 AM
I actually have gotten comments from the first week by my co-workers. I have lost 10 lbs in my first 2 wks and most of the people I work have noticed and made comments. Mostly that my face is thinner and my pants look looser LOL. Then again I work with a bunch of girls that are always on one diet or another (WW, HCG, ...you name it) so we look for those things. My DH was out of town when I started IP and claimed he noticed the difference right away.

But as several other said before, I'm doing this for ME, not for other people. So having my hubby and the girls at my center cheer me on is good enough for me!

I think other people do have a problem commenting on weight in women, and they will probably tell you later that they thought something was different, but not quite sure what.

Keep up the good work and it will all pay off in the end. :hug:

LilacPants
06-05-2012, 05:01 AM
I wanted to be very private about doing this IP plan, and only told a few people. However, when I reached the 45# mark (down from 195), everyone noticed and commented even if I didn't want to draw attention to my body!

drakegirl
06-05-2012, 07:14 AM
It was a mix of 40 lbs. and then new clothes that got people commenting for me and still some people don't say a word - but I know - that's what matters!

Kellym1021
06-05-2012, 07:41 AM
I found that when I hit 30lbs, people started looking at me a bit different and then saying things like wow your hair looks great or there is something different did you change your hair. haha and I had not!

Now that I lost about another 5lb more people are making comments like wow, you look awesome you are melting what are you doing??

I love hearing comments from people, it is a HUGE motivator for me!!

Cmhartrick
06-05-2012, 09:34 AM
How about some 'tough love' LOL???

Are you doing for others or are you doing this for yourself?? I of course dont know you or your motivation, but have to assume you are doing this for yourself. Getting noticed by others should not matter as long as you are happy with what you are doing for yourself....

Dont get me wrong, it will be great when others do notice, but that should neither encourage or discourage you while on your journey.

Keep your head up, remember why you are doing this, and carry on. 24# is great and you should be proud.

I was also disappointed that no one was noticing. Thank you Longhorn Energy for the tough love!! :hug:

ferrousgal
06-05-2012, 10:04 AM
My DH swears he can see the difference, but no one else in my life has commented or seems to know I'm in a weight loss pattern. That's fine, I'm doing it for me not for them. And it WILL become noticeable when I lose half what I need to lose and beyond.

Some people just aren't very observant (especially if you are buying new clothes, they might just see the new outfit but not realize the new outfit is because you are a smaller size now) and like one poster said, some just are uncomfortable. Just like many people won't ask a woman when she's due until it looks really convincingly that she is expecting.

Copperhead31
06-05-2012, 02:11 PM
To update from my original post: I am at a 24# loss today, and today not one but FIVE!! people have said they noticed some weight loss. When I tell them how much I have lost, it's like their eyebrows want to fly off the top of their heads, LOL!

Longhorn, I appreciate your input. I know this diet is for me, and I have noticed changes in myself, but OMG what a great feeling when others notice!!

usmcvet
06-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Well I've noticed that people who care about me, friends, have noticed. People who I have business only relationships with have not noticed or at least not commented. At the kitchen sink this morning my 9 year old son told me how thin my legs looked. He put his next to mine and said they looked about the same size, they don't he weighs like 73# but it was cute as heck and I thanked him for noticing.

Longhorn Energy
06-05-2012, 02:44 PM
To update from my original post: I am at a 24# loss today, and today not one but FIVE!! people have said they noticed some weight loss. When I tell them how much I have lost, it's like their eyebrows want to fly off the top of their heads, LOL!

Longhorn, I appreciate your input. I know this diet is for me, and I have noticed changes in myself, but OMG what a great feeling when others notice!!

Great news! Glad to hear you are finally receiving some positive feedback. I attended a 25th anniversary this weekend, and the family was quite shocked...Ive always been the 'big' cousin lol and I have to agree, even as a guy, its nice to hear that you are looking better.

Longhorn Energy
06-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Well I've noticed that people who care about me, friends, have noticed. People who I have business only relationships with have not noticed or at least not commented. At the kitchen sink this morning my 9 year old son told me how thin my legs looked. He put his next to mine and said they looked about the same size, they don't he weighs like 73# but it was cute as heck and I thanked him for noticing.

Vet: I have 3 daughters, and ya it rocks when your kids say something...My youngest gauges my loss by how her arms fit around me, and she can finally touch her hands when she hugs me now, shes excited and in her mind ive lost thousands of pounds LOL

northernfawn
06-05-2012, 02:55 PM
A few people have been noticing and keeping track since about 20 lbs, but now that I've hit 40 lbs, others are beginning to notice, and yes they think it's my hair that's changed, but haven't associated it with weight-loss. I really think most people are cautious in case they offend...

staceyjblack
06-05-2012, 03:08 PM
People at work didn't notice until AFTER I hit my goal. People I don't see often noticed around the 10-15 pound mark.

People's minds work slowly, esp if they see you all the time.

Kikie
06-05-2012, 03:17 PM
My in laws noticed after 13ish pounds after not seeing me for 2 weeks.

As for people not being comfortable talking about weight to women, I have seen quite the opposite in my time. I am a psychiatric nurse, and some of my patients have absolutely no social filter whatsoever. I remember one man telling me out of nowhere one day : "Hey, even if you're fat, I find you beautiful". Gee, thanks a lot.:o And I can't remember how many times I was asked when I was due from my female patients. Am not THAT fat, am I? I guess that was a huge motivator for me, most people will never tell you to your face, I'm taking it as a blessing! :dizzy:

DanafromAustin
06-05-2012, 03:29 PM
I didn't start to get comments till I was at a 30 pound loss and then it was family only. Of course now I get a lot of comments all the time because I've lost so much, but even now at 90 plus pounds lost, some people still have never said anything. Of course those are the people who just aren't comfortable saying anything, and that's okay because I'm doing this for me, not for their praise. ;)

pegv
06-05-2012, 05:13 PM
I hadn't seen some of my family members for several months and over the Memorial Day week-end we attended a picnic with everyone there. One of my family members kept going on how great I looked and wanted to know what I have been doing to loose the weight. I told her that I finally got my thyroid under control and have also been following the IP diet. She commented that it looked like I had lost 40 pounds or more and then I was getting upset! I was embarrased that she wouldn't leave it alone and everyone else was listening but no comments. This person has always been thin and thinks everyone else should be as well. When I left, she gave me a hug and wished me good luck on the rest of my weight loss. I was going to quit soon with my goal weight being close.

chicagoboiler
06-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Although I am already seeing a difference in myself after 12 lbs and I'm almost in another size, I think it will take a while for others to notice. People probably see it the best in your face first, but I know it takes a while for the rest of my body to catch up. Keep up the good work!

GonnaB50NFabulous
06-05-2012, 09:55 PM
There was a lady that works in another office in the same building as I do, who stopped me today and said "you are really looking good. Have you lost weight?" and then I confirmed I had and then she wondered how much. I told her almost 70 pounds (I lost some before IP), and I think it kind of embarrassed her that she had not noticed sooner!! I told her that many people don't realize it as I carry weight everywhere and not just in one area, so it isn't as noticeable as it is on some people. Though I have to say that I am eager to get a new picture for my work ID, because it is one that shows how fat my face was before. My face shows my weightloss more than almost anywhere else.