Ideal Protein Diet - just got back from WI and learned things i am doing wrong

enr20707
05-22-2012, 02:32 PM
only lost 1/2 lb but I still have a positive outlook. I have been drinking perrier which has carbonation and that slows weight loss by putting the ph balance in body off, I was having 2 tomatoes a day, 4 eggs ( only 2 egg yolks) and using truvia in my coffee instead of splenda. So.. pushing forward and making changes and looking forward to seeing a nice drop on the scale next week:carrot:

wuv2bloved
05-22-2012, 02:45 PM
That is 1/2lbs you no longer have to tote around....be proud of that. You have learned a few things you need to change, Tomatoes are occassional so only twice a week....You are doing great so keep it up :)

Copperhead31
05-22-2012, 03:53 PM
enr20707, what a wonderful attitude! I wish I could be that upbeat...I will take a leaf from your book!
Thanks for posting!

purple sky
05-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Can I ask why your coach suggested the Splenda over stevia?

sandralosingweight
05-22-2012, 04:00 PM
I thought we were allowed Perrier!

Luckily, I don't like this stuff and almost never drink it.

Thanks for sharing :)

explore
05-22-2012, 04:45 PM
My coach said to have the stevia (truvia) instead of the splenda. Also, you mentioned about the eggs- aren't two eggs okay to have? If you have 2 eggs -- does that count as your 8 oz. of protein?

Here are some things I learned this week, and the changes I'm trying to do:
I am not a breakfast eater, so I was ending up squishing all my packets into a narrower time frame. On busy days, I was having a packet at 5, 8, and 9 with my protein dinner at 7 (all pm hours). My coach said to try and eat breakfast, so I am trying to spread out my meals and I have been having the yogurt drink for breakfast. I find myself much hungrier throughout the day when I have breakfast. But, I do have more brain energy and focus from eating a little something. What do you all experience with breakfast vs. no breakfast? I do like saving my food for my evil snacking hours later in the day.

Also, my coach has me eating my restricted during the day instead of right before I go to sleep. She said that a high carb. snack right before bed time is not the best choice. Instead, I am having a not restricted packet after dinner. I am very open to these new changes (except the being hungrier part). This whole diet is so life changing. I am on day 13, and I love it! I struggled the first week (and almost gave up). I am so glad I am sticking with this and giving all my trust in the program, my coaches, and these forums.

reneepw
05-22-2012, 05:20 PM
My coach said to have the stevia (truvia) instead of the splenda. Also, you mentioned about the eggs- aren't two eggs okay to have? If you have 2 eggs -- does that count as your 8 oz. of protein?

I am not a breakfast eater, so I was ending up squishing all my packets into a narrower time frame. On busy days, I was having a packet at 5, 8, and 9 with my protein dinner at 7 (all pm hours). My coach said to try and eat breakfast, so I am trying to spread out my meals and I have been having the yogurt drink for breakfast. I find myself much hungrier throughout the day when I have breakfast. But, I do have more brain energy and focus from eating a little something. What do you all experience with breakfast vs. no breakfast? I do like saving my food for my evil snacking hours later in the day.

Also, my coach has me eating my restricted during the day instead of right before I go to sleep. She said that a high carb. snack right before bed time is not the best choice. Instead, I am having a not restricted packet after dinner. I am very open to these new changes (except the being hungrier part). This whole diet is so life changing. I am on day 13, and I love it! I struggled the first week (and almost gave up). I am so glad I am sticking with this and giving all my trust in the program, my coaches, and these forums.

I've read in a few places that egg whites (2) are 'free' but forgot to ask my coach monday. I hope that's true! As for breakfast - I feel better when i eat it so even if its late, I do get something in me. I've been doing the yogurt drink with a cup of spinach at work; or when working from home i make the omelette with spinach and peppers. Either of those do fill me up for several hours.
I just finished my first month and I love it too!

Lynnie63
05-22-2012, 05:56 PM

I'm curious about this too - I'm pretty sure my coach said stevia is ok.

NOVAScents
05-22-2012, 08:12 PM

Just so you know, truvia has 3g of carbs.

purple sky
05-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Breakfast is important. Don't skip. And you are right eating it does make you hungrier in the day. I bet that's why so many of us skipped it but don't. I used to. There is a link between skipping breakfast and putting weight on.

Please spread out your packets. We need the protein every few hours.

My understanding is stevia is fine on this diet. Many coaches and IP recommend it. But, Truvia has something else in it. I looked it up. It's not just stevia so that must be where those extra carbs come from.

wendywendy
05-22-2012, 08:57 PM
I've read in a few places that egg whites (2) are 'free' but forgot to ask my coach monday. I hope that's true! As for breakfast - I feel better when i eat it so even if its late, I do get something in me. I've been doing the yogurt drink with a cup of spinach at work; or when working from home i make the omelette with spinach and peppers. Either of those do fill me up for several hours.
I just finished my first month and I love it too!

I asked my coach tonight about the 2 egg whites....she said that i could have them as my protein for dinner. She doesn't consider them as free. I've seen some conflicting thoughts on here though about being free.......all i can say is that i had them a few times this last week, over and above the regular protein allotment, and i still lost 3 lbs...but i will be watching if i start to plateau or slow down on the losing........

tink86
05-23-2012, 12:08 AM

I find that I am much hungrier too if I have a shake for breakfast. If I eat something like an omelet, or the cereal, or even the mashed potatoes for breakfast (sorry if that seems gross), I tend to make it through to lunch.

My first week was easier than this week. I got a box of strawberry wafers and fell off the wagon. I am not sure why but my body seemed to think I was back to my old ways and voila. I am having trouble getting back on plan and I am hoping I can get back on track tomorrow.

Longhorn Energy
05-23-2012, 12:38 AM
Funny how we are all getting conflicting information from our various coaches.

I have been told to drop Splenda in favor or Stevia.
I have been told egg whites are 'free' and 2 whole eggs can be substitued for my lean protein
I have been told no sparkling water, carbonated beverages, even the 0/0/0 ones as the acid in them messes with IP. My coach and I are still arguing the differences between citric acid and phosphoric acid, but we will settle this tomorrow.
I have been told cucumbers, celery, salad are free BUT cucumbers can also be counted to the 4 cups of veggies, and cukes peeled and unpeeled have different carb counts.

Its all been quite confusing....

It would be nice if IP had a SOLID PLAN posted on the internet or somewhere that we could all reference to validate or argue these points. Why arent ALL coaches receiving the same training???

patns
05-23-2012, 01:18 AM
I asked my coach tonight about the 2 egg whites....she said that i could have them as my protein for dinner. She doesn't consider them as free. I've seen some conflicting thoughts on here though about being free.......all i can say is that i had them a few times this last week, over and above the regular protein allotment, and i still lost 3 lbs...but i will be watching if i start to plateau or slow down on the losing........

I don't know if you meant two egg whites as an extra protein at dinner?

Two egg whites don't have nearly enough protein if they are your only protein at that meal.

Many coaches suggest two egg whites as an allowable extra. They are very low cal and carb and fat free and are a good source of protein.

They are great to use in recipes made with the packages, it gives much more variety to the program.

DanafromAustin
05-23-2012, 02:29 AM
My coach also says no Splenda, only stevia which is fine with me as it is natural vs. Splenda.

Cadu
05-23-2012, 07:17 AM

Two egg whites don't have nearly enough protein if they are your only protein at that meal.

Many coaches suggest two egg whites as an allowable extra. They are very low cal and carb and fat free and are a good source of protein.

They are great to use in recipes made with the packages, it gives much more variety to the program.

I agree with Pat about the egg whites. My coach says its ok to have the egg whites. I figure if I am using these extras and I am losing and they are helping me stay on the program, then I will continue using them even if cutting them out will allow me to lose a little bit quicker. Adding little things like the egg whites, occasional veggie cheese & WF products make the program more doable for me. Should I stall or gain then I will look at them.

reneepw
05-23-2012, 07:46 AM
I just checked my new sheet for phase 1 (got it this past week). For protein, under poultry, its says "4 egg whites and 2 egg yolks". The old sheet just said 2 whole eggs. I think that's what is confusing us.. they DID add egg whites, but its unclear if they are 'free' or considered part of the protein with the 2 whole. Thanks for the info about splenda; i do use it but I think I should switch to stevia. I saw the plant in lowe's last week and considered buying it - has anyone used the leaves?

Sewmam
05-23-2012, 07:57 AM
I don't have truvia in front of me, but I think it has maltodextrin, and maybe even some dextrose in it. For sure, the maltodextrin, which most powdered sweeteners have, as an anti-caking agent, that the body sees as sugar. I use stevia - NuNaturals packets. Stevia itself is not a problem, and it actually helps regulate blood sugar.

IP does have conflicting info, sometimes because they change the program to adjust to new data or client needs, sometimes because I think different coaches have their own opinions on how to run it. Who knows... but, if the changes you try in the next week or so work for you, then great! Staying open and flexible will help you in the long run...

Good luck!

wendywendy
05-23-2012, 07:57 AM

I absolutely agree with you. I was occasionally adding 2 whites as a side to a lunch with salad for DH to help fill him at lunch, ive also used whites in a couple of recipes to offer a greater variety of food.

The amount of carbs/protein etc are so low...that is why im going to continue using them until i have plateaus or stall in the weight loss then i'll re-evaluate if the egg whites are causing me any issues.

I just wish that all the coaches were using the same guidelines, it would save alot of questions and confusion!!!

enr20707
05-23-2012, 10:00 AM
I wish all the coaches were on the same page with the info they give us, too much confusion and it's frustrating.

Goldenrod
05-23-2012, 11:49 AM
I did a bit of checking on the different brands of stevia sweeteners and noticed some of them (including truvia) have carbs. I prefer the SweetLeaf brand as that one is 0 carbs and doesn't have added hidden sugars.

usmcvet
05-23-2012, 12:35 PM
You moved the scale in the right direction. Thanks for sharing with us. It is important to keep focused and to keep learning. I was eating too many restricted and have been using shakes now where I would use a soy puff or soy nut. I hope it has helped. Tomorrow is WI #8 and that's where the proof will be, I HOPE!

LizRR
05-23-2012, 12:44 PM
I actually make my own seltzer every night as my "treat" for staying OP for the day with my coach's blessing. This topic has been addressed before in a previous thread (c&p below): http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/257893-carbonated-water-cheat.html

All diet drinks (i.e. sugar-free, carb-free) are NOT contraindicated on the Ideal Protein Weight Loss Method. The problem that can arise is imbalances in acid/base regulation. Our protocol is very alkaline and this is why we do not see complications common to other “protein type diets”, namely kidney stones, gout, bone spurs, etc. Some diet drinks (Crystal Light for example) are mixed with water and these are acceptable. Many others (flavored Aqua-fina, Dasani, etc.) contain alot of phosphoric acid. This is a very strong acid and will play havoc with the body’s bicarbonate buffering system. The same goes for diet sodas…particularly the “brown ones”…Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, root beer, etc.).

Flavored seltzers are usually OK, just read the label and make sure it is carb-free and contains no phosphoric acid. Carbonated beverages contain CO2 which, when dissolved in water becomes carbonic acid, a weak acid (unlike phosphoric). To have a glass of these occasionally would not be a problem, but consuming large amounts (like in place ofthe 2 liters of water per day) would not be a good idea. The pH of Perrier is about 5.7, weakly acidic.

And the very detailed stats on 1 egg white - my coach allows 2 egg whites/day as "free", I usually use this as my weekend indulgence (when I have time to "cook" my IP packets):
Calories 16
Calories from Fat 1
Total Fat 0.1g
Saturated Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 55mg
Total Carbohydrates 0.2g
Sugars 0.2g
Protein 3.6g

Also, don't forget that 1 packet of Splenda has 0.9g carbs and 4 calories - just low enough to be labeled 0 cal/0 carb by the FDA. And Walden Farms are of the same negligible calories. But I am of the same opinion as Cadu - they are making this program doable for me over the long haul and until I see a stall/plateau I will revisit them. I do try to limit my freebies to 6 servings or less/day.

LizRR
05-23-2012, 12:48 PM
OH - and just want to add - Congrats on the loss! And it's really great that you have a coach who evaluates your food log and is able to give you direction and suggestions, particularly when you have concerns. Keep writing everything down that you eat - the food journal is a great tool for looking at tweaks that can be made and having a good coach (like it sounds you have) can be invaluable for making this a very successful journey.

Everybody is different and they will lose at their own pace and have different reactions to different things.

dizzyjean
05-23-2012, 01:02 PM
I am on vacation at the beach this week, saying no to many wonderful things. But Sonic drivein has a drink called a low cal limeade (sprite zero). A large only has 1 carb, so I am having one of those as a treat at half price happy hour a couple of times a week, instead of getting frozen custard as everyone else has.
Think that is ok?

Hockeymom40
05-23-2012, 01:25 PM
The whole stevia vs splenda preference by the clinics doesn't make any sense to me. If you look at the ingredients in almost all the products they contain sucralose, that is splenda!! Okay maybe stevia is better for you, but personally I don't think it makes a hoot of a difference. I use splenda on the rare times I need sweetner and I have lost 38 lbs.

love2travelmom
05-23-2012, 01:30 PM
My coach told me that sweetener is fine but splenda is better.

We were also given a chart and an eating schedule with every food listed on it and what is allowed and not allowed.

We can also contact our coach 24/7 on her cell if we need to.

We were just told yesterday that sugar-free gum is ok (1-2 pieces per day as it has 1 carb).

Hockeymom40
05-23-2012, 01:31 PM
I agree with Pat about the egg whites. My coach says its ok to have the egg whites. I figure if I am using these extras and I am losing and they are helping me stay on the program, then I will continue using them even if cutting them out will allow me to lose a little bit quicker. Adding little things like the egg whites, occasional veggie cheese & WF products make the program more doable for me. Should I stall or gain then I will look at them.

New pic looks great!! I totally agree with this. These additional items will not affect weight loss. Just like eating a few extra veggies. Vegetables and egg whites did not make us fat in the first place. Everything in moderation.