Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-21-2012, 05:49 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat May 21 - May 27

At a twelve person family gathering last night, dessert arrived with ice cream along with the mixed fruit. And I had some. Gotta think about this. Fruit is my standard dessert - keeps me away from the baked sweet stuff - but a gallop of ice cream adds a punch that adds weight bearing calories if I do that every night.

So, time to recall that warm weather isn't an invitation to ice cream. On warm evenings, the sight of ice cream makes me remember the wonderful sound of the ice cream truck of my childhood. Thankfully, my neighborhood today doesn't have an ice cream truck. Do these still exist?
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Strawberries and ice cream ! Yum ! Last night I had 6 fresh strawberries, 1 tsp sugar,1/4 cup half and half all for 75 caalories, no ice cream but delish just the same.

Last edited by bargoo; 05-21-2012 at 07:18 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Ice cream trucks run in our area Bill but mostly in the heavily populated, lower income areas.

Well, if you are a FB friend of mine you may have seen the red/white/black (barber pole) kitchen....Angie felt safe enough to post them since it is 99% finished....

and before I mess it up!

For anyone else interested to see her bizarre choices in colors, I will post pics soon as she makes a folder I can link to.

Be good
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm feeling much relieved because the upholsterer contacted me through email. He received the package of gimp that I mailed last Thursday -- that's what the braided trim for upholstered antique furniture is called -- and so he will be able to finish the job, and the epic restoration and refurbishment of my c. 1835 New York-made sofa will soon end. Then I'll just have to get the sofa delivered to my unfinished apartment. It will be wrapped up like a mummy to keep any lingering dust & paint & whatever off it. But it will be back in the living room where it formerly presided with great dignity, as one of the showpieces of my collection. What a relief that will be. I could've bought another one for the price I paid to retain this one.

Even though work has once again stopped on my apartment, I can see that will become habitable again soon, probably sometime this summer.

ETA: Oh wow, based on the grocery ads and store flyers that fattened up the Sunday paper, it's going to be Memorial Day weekend ... just in a matter of days ... Anyone have plans? I'll be working toward that. Who doesn't love a day off?

Last edited by saef; 05-21-2012 at 08:29 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Gary~I looked for said photo and all I can find are all those photos of you in the '70's! I don't think I'm daring enough to post pictures from that era!

Saef~glad the sofa will be done regardless of the fact your apartment is taking longer than expected. Hope you'll get to move in soon!

Bill~my DS eats ice cream nightly. It's one of those foods that I can take or leave with little effort. I particularly like coffee ice cream and I've had a half gallon in the freezer for months and I've not touched it. There are times when it will just hit the spot and a small scoop satiates me for weeks if not months.

DD requested I buy a whole pineapple and teach her how to cut it. So I did. Oh, fresh pineapple! I can't wait until we go to Hawaii. I love getting the pineapple from the vendors at most of the tourist attractions!

bargoo~is it my imagination or have strawberries been extra good this year?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #6  

Allison , I think you are right about the strawberries, they seem to be especially good, doesn't seem to matter where you get them. I got some at the Farmer's Market and also at Safeway they were equally good. When I buy strawberries I try to get the small to medium size , they just taste better. The big ones look spectacular but are often hollow inside.
When you go to Hawaii you can get a case of pineapple to bring home.....so good.

Last edited by bargoo; 05-21-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #7  
Workin' It

I have a fresh pineapple I just sliced Saturday in my fridge, and the strawberries I just finished were awesome, Allison. They do seem to turn bad faster, though.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #8  
Workin' It

I had a good birthday week last week, and totally rocked my 5k yesterday! I ran one on 5/12 before my birthday, finished in 29:01, which was a PR for me. Turned 40 Tuesday, then yesterday I ran my 5k in 28:13. Blew my 'last race of the 30s' PR out of the water with my first race of the 40s! Woo hoo!
Old 05-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Shannon, that's a great time! In both races, actually! As someone who still has a goal of finishing in 30 minutes, I really do appreciate your achievement.

I've got red raspberries in the fridge for breakfast for the next two mornings, which I am really looking forward to.

I don't know if I'll be Upstate for the local strawberries, for which this town was once regionally known. It's been a strange spring, with us having a frost last Thursday morning, then nearly hitting 90 degrees yesterday. The magnolia outside my bedroom window has never held onto its flowers for as long as this, well into the beginning of the season for the iris beds and azalea bushes.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

That is very fast Shannon-- way to go!

I have pineapple for lunch too. I'm currently eating some blueberries and I had blackberries at breakfast. I love my fruit!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #11  

On the same shopping trip that I bought strawberries I also bought bluberries, the blueberries are gone. Love blueberres. I don't find vegies to be nearly as good as fruit I have to remind myself to eat vegies, that never happens with fruit.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Bargoo - I have recently developed a love for sliced red bell pepper.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Bargoo - I have recently developed a love for sliced red bell pepper.
Me, too! How funny is that? I fix a salad every night and one whole (sometimes 1.5) red peppers, some radishes, cucumber slices, and grape tomatoes go in. When I serve it, I pick out about 80% of the red peppers for myself before allowing DH and DS to serve themselves! Selfish, I know, but I just crave it!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

We are finishing our first long weekend of the summer and it has been gorgeous outside all weekend! DH installed both AC units today so I'm taking him out for an ice cream and a walk down by the lake.

We went for our first paddle yesterday morning. It was awesome. But the rack our boats are on is about to break so we had to move the boats. I didn't get my paddleboard down to the club so will have to wait until June to use it.

I too have pineapple and strawberries in my fridge. Not locally grown (not many pineapple trees in Canada) but sweet and delicious all the same.

Good evening all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #15  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Ah, ice-cream. I must say I'm having a little too much these days, but it's not exactly 'cream', it's the sorbet/water ice type, so I guess that in the end, it's not such a catastrophe. In my defence, at least it's easy to eat and I don't need to munch a lot. No, I'm not *that* lazy, it's just the old teeth problem going on.

Speaking of teeth, any of you with artificial bone pumped into your jaw, or something similar? Looks like I'm going to need that, given what I was told today at the dentist's. I didn't even dare to ask how much it'd cost, nor what exactly it entailed...

I used to have hopes of one day buying a small apartment. Now I just have hopes of being able to buy teeth, so that I can eat something else than soup by the time I turn 50.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote