General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/259/160

Height: 5'7

Default leaving my kids with my 15 year old niece?!?!

OOOH it makes me nervous. My husband wants to go fishing with his sister and her husband and they have offered their 15 year old to watch my THREE little boys, all under the age of three... She is a very smart girl, well behaved, and very trust worthy, HOWEVER, three little kids is a lot to keep up with. Is this a terrible idea??? help
nataliegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Where would she be watching them ? At your home or her home ? Is your fishing trip some distance away ? I wouldn't do it except maybe for an hour or two in the evening when you are only a short distance away, the grocery store or restaurant but not when you are of town and not overnight.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #3  

we live at the coast so about 5 miles from my house for a few hours. My mother in law will be about ten minutes away and she will be watching them at my house so she will have everything she could possible need including food.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5

depends on the 15 year old
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/154/135

Height: 5"4

If theres any part of you that doesnt feel comfortable about it, might be best not to. You dont want to spend more then normal time worrying!
deb813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #6  
You're my fantasy.

When I was 15 I couldn't take care of 3 puppies, let alone 3 kids under 3 years old!

Can your MIL do it instead?
stillmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/262/176

Height: 5'8"

1. Do you have a pool?
2. How active are the boys? thinking they could take off in all directions
3. How would the 15yo look after them and keep them busy or happy?

These are some things I would be concerned with.
collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #8  
~Never Quit~

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'7"

A 15 year-old who is smart, well-behaved, and trustworthy, as you say, should be able to handle 2 children under 3. However, I think one more may be one too many. I can imagine 3 getting pretty frustrating for an inexperienced sitter.

Perhaps the sitter has a friend who can come and help her?
EatMoreCelery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

It depends on the kids. I have had young babysitters watch my three littles with NO issues, and there are others I won't even ask because they aren't the capable, confident type. So it depends on your niece. But there's nothing particularly challenging about a few hours' day trip that would bar any high school babysitter unless they were particularly incompetent, in my mind.

Then again, I'm a pretty relaxed mommy. It all rests on what you are comfortable with. My kids are easy, my babysitters (younger and older) are experienced with young, closely spaced children, and the timeframe is manipulated so that movies, snacks, and a nap are really all that is required.

Good luck with this, either way! If you're not comfortable skip the trip, but nothing threw up a red flag to me
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/130

Height: 5'9" Age: 19

Im sure she can handle it, it just takes common sense and a lot of patience. It might help her out if you babygate them into a room or area so they're easier to keep out of trouble. It gets stressful when one's in the kitchen making a mess, and the other two are in the living room doing the same!

Is there any way she could bring a friend along?

Last edited by Ramra; 05-20-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Ramra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

That's a tough one. Since you trust her I would say yes. I started babysitting at 12. Kids under 3 are hard (haha, you're the mom, of course you know that!) but is there a way she could put one down for a nap and take care of the other 2? What I mean is, are they different ages or are they all that age where they run around like crazy? Because that can be hard. Have you considered letting her bring a friend? If there is a friend of hers that her parents could vouch for as being trustworthy, I would see if she could do that. That way there's a second pair of eyes and hands in case she starts to feel overwhelmed.
MusicalAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I started babysitting when I was about 14 but these kids were usually in bed asleep. These are the ones I got paid for. I babysat my little brother and sister when I was much younger and did not get paid.
The main thing I would be concerned about is emergencies. Doe she know how to handle the unexpected ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #13  

Well it turned out good. The kids were all close to bed time so that made it easier and my kids (thank God) love bed time and go to sleep in their beds on their own. Thanks for all the input, it is greatly appreciated.
Stillmeadow, my mil is with her mother who is very sick. She would have come in an emergency because she had another person with her, but we didn't want her to have to be here for 3 hours.
Collingwood, no pool, 6ft fence around the entire back yard and no way out, key only dead-bolts on our doors.
She is a smart girl and watches her younger sibblings all the time. I'm glad I let her do it, wont be a very common thing but it was nice to get out. We don't get that a lot.

Thanks again everyone!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicalAstronaut View Post
That's a tough one. Since you trust her I would say yes. I started babysitting at 12. Kids under 3 are hard (haha, you're the mom, of course you know that!) but is there a way she could put one down for a nap and take care of the other 2? What I mean is, are they different ages or are they all that age where they run around like crazy? Because that can be hard. Have you considered letting her bring a friend? If there is a friend of hers that her parents could vouch for as being trustworthy, I would see if she could do that. That way there's a second pair of eyes and hands in case she starts to feel overwhelmed.
I worry about having a friend here because it would scare me to think they would get distracted. Its 2 two and a half year olds and an 18month old... so they run and play but the older two will sit and do things for a while.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 186/151/125

Height: 5'0

It depends on the 15 year old. I used to watch my 3 brothers (2 were special needs) for my parents for a couple hours sometimes. I also babysat most of my brother's friends as well.

If you don't feel comfortable, then I wouldn't suggest it. But you guys are 5 miles away and with family near by I'm sure it wouldn't be a big deal.

Maybe you could bring her over while your doing stuff in the yard, or running a few errands and see how that trial period goes for her.
tinkerbell4726 is offline   Reply With Quote