Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #1  
It's Kassie Baby!

S/C/G: 250/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Default How to get rid of the "get rid of it now" mentality?

As I progress losing weight, I notice myself changing now. But..I want it done now. I want everything GONE now. And I know that can't happen. The harder and long I keep this up, I do know that it will go away. But how do I get rid of the need to get rid of it all now?
kassiebby1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 132/100/100

Height: 5'1

Remember that if you do get rid of it now, you won't have the same experience with your body's metabolism and eating habits to keep it off.

I actually have 2 personal examples of this. I did Zeltiq twice about a year apart. Both times I lost 7-9 lbs on the area I had it done (belly, love handles, back) over the next 2 months. However, both times I also regained all that weight and a bit more because I hadn't changed my eating habits sufficiently to keep up with my weight loss.

This time I've lost far more weight and am still losing and now have a much healthier eating pattern. It's so tempting to go back and get it done again to lose the last few pounds but I know that fast fixes really don't work for me.
Kayriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/ticker/slim

Height: 5ft 6

I just remember that was the kind of mentality that caused hardcore dieting - and eventually giving in because it was too extreme and completely giving the diet up. Every time I get tempted to overdo the dieting or exercise, I remember the last failed weight loss attempt and then I usually start thinking sensibly again.
3CatsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

When I started my plan, I had almost a panicky feeling, "get it off now"....it came with a new self awareness....before that I must have been in denial. I was a nervous Nelly for a while. I had to just take it slow and relax. It has been 7 months, my progress is slow, but it IS progress. That is a good thing!
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

I can definitely relate to this feeling, especially having suffered with an ED and some degree of body dysmorphia. I still occasionally get overwhelmed by the idea that losing weight takes time and panic.
I don't think you can necessarily make those thoughts go away just like that-But you can choose to react to them in a productive way.

First try and establish why you want it gone so badly-Every day you make healthy lifestyle changes your health is improving, and having some extra weight doesn't mean you aren't just as beautiful as you will be at goal weight.
Having to go through the 'journey' of losing weight is so much more beneficial than the if we could just snap our fingers and make it go away. Maybe write a list of the things you've learned or positive experiences you've experienced so far?

For me at least I think the feeling comes from feeling out of control, and like I'm not good enough in some way-Until I've lost all the weight. None of these things are true but all I can do to combat them is force myself to remain calm, continue eating healthy calorie controlled foods and trying to reassure myself that I'm fine the way I am too.

"Life's a journey, not a destination" - Steven Tyler :-)
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #6  
Fitty, the Pound-Slayer

S/C/G: 303/287/150

Height: 5'8

I mentioned this on another thread, but I love visual reminders to help me keep with my goals. Part of the visual reminders I use are things like my computer's wallpaper.

This applies to your situation in that you could pick a computer wallpaper with sayings like "take it day by day" and "weight loss is not meant to be a sprint; it's a marathon." These types of reminders can help with the mindset that this is going to be a long, slow process, but to not give up! You might find similar mantras/affirmations to recite to yourself (or an affirmations tape/CD) or write these type of sayings on sticky notes and post them on your mirror, to help you keep the frame of mind that this is a process.

Oh, and keep on posting here, this forum is great for helping us get through the long haul!
fatbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #7  
~Never Quit~

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'7"

I like the idea of visual reminders. Hmm, maybe I can try that!

I get impatient with my weight loss too but it helps me if I make many small weight loss goals for myself and celebrate big time when each one is reached.

I recently celebrated one inch gone off my arse.
EatMoreCelery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Thinking of the health factor keeps me motivated. Also, buy a pair of goal jeans (or something you want to look good in) and just hang it somewhere you can see it- should keep you motivated as well!

Don't give up now girl, you're gonna be back here in a few years with more weight to lose and you're gonna say "I wish I would've lost the weight when I was younger!"

Like someone else said, this is a not a sprint, it's a marathon. Also make it a lifestyle change. You'll avoid so many problems if you stay on track now. Emotionally and physically, being overweight/obese is such a pain in the butt!
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #9  
~Never Quit~

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Emotionally and physically, being overweight/obese is such a pain in the butt!
Amen!
EatMoreCelery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #10  
You're my fantasy.

I'm going through the same exact thing right now. I'm starting week 5 tomorrow, I'm down 9 pounds but have SO much more to go.

It's hard to eat right, clean and healthy everyday, and still be so fat, it justs seems like it's not working - even though I know it is, and that it will get better over time.

Just can't imagine losing 37 pounds, as you have - congratulations! That's awesome. And I guess we'll all hang in there together.
stillmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassiebby1124 View Post
As I progress losing weight, I notice myself changing now. But..I want it done now. I want everything GONE now. And I know that can't happen. The harder and long I keep this up, I do know that it will go away. But how do I get rid of the need to get rid of it all now?
For me it's knowing that every time in the past I've lost weight fast - not just dieting but even when it was from being sick or having a crisis - I've gained it back VERY QUICKLY AND WITH MORE to boot. Sometimes with age does come a LITTLE wisdom - those memories have made Slow & Steady my motto this time.

You're doing a fantastic job!
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 406/394/200

Height: 5"7

Yes! haha! Also, I want people notice straight away!! Like I lose 2lbs and I want everyone to think I look way skinnier already! Sometimes I have to tell them just for the compliments ahahaaa!!!
JoseLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 161/143/130

Height: 5'5

I keep my eyes on the scale and not on the big goal. You might not see a physical change from losing one pound, but you can see the number go down! It's a nice feeling to see that you're steadily heading towards your goal. And at that point, it feels like a waste of effort to gain that one pound back, so it makes you want to just keep on going.

Setting up mini goals is a great way of doing this.
Elsewhere is Fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 234/230/120

Height: 5'4"

This is always such an issue for me! I think when I'm not on a diet, then I am in denial about my weight but then when I decide to change my ways all of a sudden, I'm mortified and just want it GONE! There has to be a happy medium between the two. But yeah, part of the reason I've given up in the past is because I'm too impatient and get tired of waiting for my new body, and new life.
Coffeelover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 319/307/145

Height: 5'8"

I hear you - I'm exactly the same way & want it off now!
I find it's hard not too over obsess with losing weight when that's
all I'm really focused on right now. All I can think about
is calories and dreading exercise. I wish I could figure
out how to just let it go and enjoy the ride...
Softykins is offline   Reply With Quote