Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #1  
Sue

S/C/G: 225/185/155

Height: 5'7"

Default Are you budget-minded?

My daughter and I were talking about calorie counting last night and how it seems easier for some people than others. She's finding it pretty simple (though still tempted to enjoy more) and one of her roommates is having a really tough time budgeting her calories each day.

D is very good at budgeting both her time and her money - her roommate struggles with both. Correlation or coincidence, what's your experience?
mahtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #2  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

Hmm I had not though of this before, but now that you bring it up... Maybe that's why I love calorie-counting. Ever since I was really young (11 or so), I have gotten up every day and written out a schedule for the day... When I need to be where... And a to-do list for the day. It really bothers me to not have things planned out (this drives my in-laws nuts on vacation- I'm always trying to find out "what are we doing today, and where are we going next" haha)

I also keep track of every penny I earn/spend.. Again since I first started getting paid for extra chores around the house. It really bothers me if I don't.

Calorie counting allows me to make my gameplan for the day when Im packing up lunch/making breakfast & dinner, AND write things down after I eat them. It's like calorie counting was made for me.... And now I'm realizing what a control freak I am. Haha ;-)
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #3  
Sue

S/C/G: 225/185/155

Height: 5'7"

Ohhhhh, I didn't even think to add list making to the original question. Yup, that's me too! But I'm only a little bit of a control freak

Last edited by mahtha; 05-18-2012 at 10:18 AM.
mahtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

You know, I never thought of this until you posted it.

I calorie count the same way I budget my money!

I don't write these things down and instead keep track in my head—I've always done this with money. I have a running estimate of what's in the bank in my head and I've got a running estimate of how much I've spent on my credit card. There are never any surprises when I log in to check my money; I always seem to be able to have an accurate estimate of how much I have and have spent.

It's the same way with calorie counting...I never write anything down and instead keep a running estimate of the day's totals in my head. Tracking in an app drove me nuts so I had to stop actually.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #5  

Somewhat. Sometimes I will record my payments as accurately as possible, but I don't really try and pinch pennies because whatever I am, for now, happy with what I spend on - I def spend on food at the farmer's mkt, so I record expenses just to make sure that I am not broke, but I do not try very hard to save as much as possible.
I balance this out by not spending in other areas - no clothes (except for socks - holes in socks=UNBEARABLE), salon visits (haircut 1-2x a yr), cable TV (just internet), vacations - only because I would rather do things rarely and do it "big" instead of having mini vacas or regular mani-pedis (I'd rather save for a long vaca and a spa visit).
I am not as diligent at saving as my parents - we grew up eating wonderbread with a topping of butter and sugar, condensed milk and spam. I had no idea it was "poor people food" until I read books about poor families in the 60s or before and I was like "ohhh hmm I ate the same things!" haha
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #6  
Fitty, the Pound-Slayer

S/C/G: 303/287/150

Height: 5'8

This makes SO much sense! I really struggle with both. Part of it is growing up poor, it was a feast/famine cycle, and that comes out both in my money use and in my food. It also makes me feel hopeful, because if I can learn one skill, it will help me with the other!
fatbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #7  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I have troubles budgeting my calories, but I believe it has less to do with my executive functioning skills and more to do with my schedule. I'm up early to be at work by 7AM, but my husband isn't home from work until closer to 6PM, when we eat dinner. So to budget and stick with around 1500 to 1800 calories a day with such a long day is difficult. I get very hungry! Exercise has helped in that regard, because it allows me to eat a few more calories a day, but it's still rough. I do record my calories in advance when I can, and I check on line to see if I have room for this or that. I budget and save calories if I know something is coming up. I'd say this is the only area where I am (currently) not struggling.

Correlation....I'm sure there is!

My executive functioning skills, though not terrible, leave much to be desired. I go both ways when it comes to balancing time, and money. I can be good about it, and bad about it.

I'm terrible with money and finally turned over the finances to my husband. I just couldn't keep up with it. I have my own money for grocery shopping, etc.

I also like to have a plan. "Just winging it" doesn't sit well with me. I use to do lists and keep a detailed calendar. However, I tend to not check my lists and calendar and watch things unravel. When I started to read this thread, I had an "Oh sh**" moment, because I forgot to check my calendar. I hoped I didn't miss anything.

When I'm on, I'm on. When I'm off, I'm off. I tend to swing this way and that. It's a constant struggle for me.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I keep a close eye and document all of my calories, meals, budget, and payments. ABSOLUTELY!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
I keep a close eye and document all of my calories, meals, budget, and payments. ABSOLUTELY!
Same here... what an interesting observation! I never thought about it either, but it does seem related.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #10  
banned

I definitely am "budget minded"...Calorie counting makes everything easier for me. I use spreadsheet in Excel and I can prepare my custom meal plan for the next week

Last edited by Stephyy; 05-18-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Stephyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #11  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

That's a very interesting thought that never occurred to me, so thank you for bringing it up!

Most of my life I was a non-budgeter. I never budgeted money or weight. There was always this don't care, do it later or never attitude.

Now much later in life (and 7 years after things falling off my credit report finally) I'm much more in in control of money and finances. I watch my checking account every day and never spend on credit except for miles cards which I pay off immediately. Funny how now that's evolving into watching calories like a hawk as well.

It really shows me how much the personality needed to lose weight is so tightly connected to other things in your life - at least for me.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I do calorie count the same way I budget - category estimation.

For my financial budget that means planning an approximate budget amount for each spending catagory and spending limits for subcategories (So I'll have a spending limit in mind for say clothing, and I'll also have a spending limit within that category for say blouses or shoes). I do the grocery shopping that way too (for example $2 per pound is my absolute maximum for day-to-day protein (I have a different price limit for special occasion dinner proteins - say steak or shrimp for a birthday dinner).

I calorie count the same way - by way of an exchange plan. Calories are still counted, because all foods within an exchange group have similar calorie and carb counts (for example fruit exchanges average 70 calories and the range is from about 55 to 75). Instead of counting in single numbers, I count in pre-counted blocks (sort of like my financial budget categories of rent, utilities, groceries....).

Thus my 1800 calorie reduced-carb exchange plan averages 1800 calories (ranging from about 1700 to 1900) and less than 150g of total carbs and ideally about 80- 100g of effective carbs (subtracting the fiber carbs, which humans can't digest so the carbs and calories of fiber aren't absorbed).

I don't think budgeting styles necessarily reflect success or failure at weight loss, but I do think personality/cognitive styles do effect how one chooses to budget (whether the budgeted item is money, calories, time, sleep or any other resource....)

Last edited by kaplods; 05-19-2012 at 01:24 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 132/116.6/114

Height: 5'2"

I'm glad you brought up this topic. I hadn't given it any thought until now and I think there is definitely something to it.

I suppose I've been more conscious about how I spend my money in the last 12 months since I've had a tightened budget, but it has only been in the last maybe 6 months or so that I've started calorie counting and trying to rein in my calorie 'budget' and looking at where I'm spending the 'energy dollars' so to speak.

I must say, I try not to spend money on junk (clutter-producing items, impulse buys etc) and since I've started calorie counting, I strive to spend my 'energy/calorie dollars' on healthier, wholesome foods.

Time-wise, I am probably too strict with how I choose to spend my time - pushing myself to get chores and all the little jobs out of the way ("I'll rest a bit later", but later never comes!).

I'll admit that I don't allow myself enough play/rest time on my days off (it's go.go.go most weekends) so I need to relax and let my body catch up with my brain.

I tend to bounce between two extremes - extreme discipline and extreme laziness. I've been on the discipline path for a good few months now, it's kind of addictive and tough to let go and be a bit more moderate.
Precious Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #14  
Crazygurl61

S/C/G: 165/154.7/115

Height: 5'2

I love budgeting calories and money. I love do do lists and plans...im obsessed!
crazygurl61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #15  
say what?

Hmm, never thought of this. But I guess it matches. I keep a mental tab on things with my money and calories. I am not overly strict and when I feel like I want something and can sort of spend the money/calories I just do it. But never to the point where I can't get the essentials taken care of.

People who look at me will tell you I am very precise, but also very chaotic and impulsive. I make a lot of messes and I always clean them up perfectly at some point. It's really erradic behavior I have to get a hold on someday. I think in the end - your character defines how you do a LOT of things, from spending money to eating habits to work or studying. This thread only proves that!!
philana is offline   Reply With Quote