Height: 5'7"

Default Cook books??

I would like to get a few are there any "must haves?"
Betsybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #2  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

I have picked up so many over the years, but I always look for the ones with the nutritional info and foods I love to eat or try. I have several weight watchers ones and they have some great stuff but I also have cookbooks with some great twists on favorite foods....happy hunting

btw try used book stores they are great finds
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

I really want the newest WW cookbook, the "tastier than take out" one. I have the power foods cook book but have yet to try anything from it.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #4  
Go Blue!

S/C/G: 286.8/180.6/145

My husband is a big fan of comfort foods, nothing too "gourmet" or exotic, etc, and there are tons of things he'd like in their Best Darn Food Ever one (currently being sold in meetings). I'm not crazy about how the book is organized ("Crunchy and Crispy," "Cheesy," "Spicy," "Creamy," "Savory," "Sweet n' Salty," "Sweet," and "Chocolaty.") But I'm sure the day will come when I'm really in the mood for ___, then I'll be glad I have one book that makes it easy to pinpoint such a recipe.

So far I've done the Turkey, Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna, and the Smoky Pork BBQ on Buns, both went over really well. The husband generally doesn't get too psyched about leftovers and usually isn't fond of lasagna, and he actually was eager to dig into not just the pork bbq but the lasagna too for leftovers. Surprising.

I don't have the One Pot Cookbook but I remember a lot of people gushing about that one at meetings earlier this year and for a while I guess it was hard to get a hold of.

If you like to go a little more foodie/gourmet, I've seen many people on cooking forums rave about the Great Cooking Every Day, partnered with the Culinary Institute of America. It was printed 9 years ago I think, so not on PointsPlus, but it includes the nutritional info to calculate the updated points.

"PointsPlus Cookbook" (http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Watcher...dp/B004GFIZBG/) would be an option too with the up to date points values, it has some good variety and interesting twists on recipes. This was sold in the meetings though, and those prices on Amazon are higher than what I paid.

Some of my favorite cookbooks that aren't WW but have nutritional info to calculate points:
Eating Well Comfort Foods Made Healthy (all of their recipes are on their site too, but I like this collection together)
The Best of Cooking Light
America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook (some recipes can be a little more involved and some (though definitely not all) can be still kind of high in points for being "healthy," though they are very nitpicky about getting the "best" results)
Moosewood Restaurant Low Fat Favorites (vegetarian)

Last edited by Somni; 05-18-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Somni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: sw/cw/gw 220/217/160

My Dh is a country boy too and loves his comfort food. I think that's why I find myself cooking the same thing over and over. Thanks for all the responses it definitely gives me a great place to start. Can you order the ww cookbooks on the website?? Im doing Internet not meetings and I don't want to pay a ton for books....
Betsybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Cooking Light magazine - cheap for a subscription, amazing food, and you always get new recipes to try!

This Book is the best WW book/mag that I've ever had and I have about 40 WW cookbooks that vary on food type.

Or, just go to http://www.skinnytaste.com for the best cooking blog!

Last edited by Munchy; 05-18-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #7  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I love cook books! I mostly get them from the library so I can feed my habit without too many $. Plus, I find that I really use about three recipes from any given cookbook -- yay for library photocopiers!

My favorite cookbook that I discovered during my weight loss was Fast, Fresh, and Green -- all about how to make vegetables truly delicious! Here's my review: Book Review: Fast, Fresh & Green by Susie Middleton.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #8  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

I second Munchy's recommendation of skinnytaste.com! Her recipes are amazing, super easy and super yummy. I also love that she lists the WW points, too!
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 184.4/169.2/140

Height: 5'3"

I suggest the following sites:

skinnytaste.com
emilybites.com
greenlitebites.com
danicasdaily.com
stratcat45 is offline   Reply With Quote