Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 09:06 AM   #1  
Life Time 2001

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 yr olds #212

Maria: Sounds like a great new camera! I dont have any desire to see the Gangs of New York. I would be like you and cover my eyes. Im sure my DH will rent it when it comes out. So I will play on the computer.
That picture of your DH sounds great!

Ann: Sorry I know of no Mexican Desserts.

Peggy: So sorry to hear about your friends DH and Alzheimers. Gonna be hard on her Im sure. Our wether keeps going back and forth. Rain then Spring. Actually that means Spring doesnt it? Just wish it would warm up a bit.

Trudy: I bet your little Angel was adorable in the Baptismal gown. Sounds like it was a great day!

Glenda: Im there! Where we going. I want Pepe to wait on me hand and foot to! Good luck in find a dress. When is the renewal ceremony.

Have a WW staff meeting today so didnt go WI. Have to WI there so why do it twice?
Its was our anniversary yesterday so going to celebrate tonight.
Not going out this time. Making dinner at home. Have a glass of Champange get a headache and go to bed. Fun huh? Im just a riot when I have champange!

Best get going.
Later!
Old 03-22-2003, 09:27 AM   #2  

Lily happy anniversary. Enjoy your evening. In our busy life I think is good to just have dinner at home and be together. I really enjoy my time at home with hubby. Just having a chance to reconnect after a hectic week is great. Lily are you lokking forward to your staff meeting. Ours are always fun. We get to visit with all the other Leaders and Receptionist from our neck of the northwoods. We have a trainer who is a fun loving and makes our meetings fun.

Are you guys watching the War on TV. Can you beleive it you have to rent a movie to get away from it.

Am making a trip to St Cloud today going to the big city to shop. Need to go to Sams and stock up on important stuff like paper towels and Dish washer soap. I'm sure I'll have a list from my Daughter to get too. Also want to find a couple of pairs of slacks. I hate to buy pants because the sizes vary so much. Wish me luck!!

My stomach is acting up must be because spring looks like it has sprang. It's going to be in the 50's today .

You guys have a great day.
Karen
Old 03-22-2003, 11:52 AM   #3  
Member Florida Chick

Talking April showers bring May Flowers

Hi everyone.
Trudy: I'm with you. I have to weigh in next Sat. I've just been a wimp, putting it off. Your little sounds so cute. Bet your Baptismal day was really special.

Lily: Happy Anniversary. Have a nice quiet celebration. Sometimes those are the very best ones.

Karen: When the topics come down from 'on high' do you have any choice about modifying them or must you stick to them exactly. I didn't go this a.m. but the gals who did said it was a very boring subject and meeting. About switching your brain. Of course it could just be our leader, also. But we were all of the opinion that thinking of some food could very easily be counter productive, as our minds might not ever get to the good food. Sort of once you think of the do-nut, the brain doesn't want to get off the subject.

Lily: Did you have the same subject? I'm wondering if it is just put forth nationally.

Maria: I'm sure you are doing something wonderful this weekend again. Will be looking forward to your next post. You are so clever with the camera. Bungy jumping, twins, etc.: Nice to hear that the Austrailian Military are side by side with with us and GR. BR.

There was an editorial in our paper today, speaking to the United Nations and how over the past years they have failed to carry out their mandates, and were speaking about Ruanda, and the terrible killings there, and the UN did nothing. The writer felt that it was because Ruanda wasn't strategic enough, just a poor country. It is certainly apparent, to me anyway, that the UN has lost a lot of its effectiveness, by always waffling and being unwilling to do what they say needs to be done.
No more soap box.

Slavika: Are you now well?

Yesterday I went shopping. Spent the gift money my chorus gave me. I found a really nice outfit with two tops so I can mix and match. A coral print on black background. My dh thinks I'm getting too 'wild' in my 'old' age.

Hi Peggy, Glenda. Let me know when you find a nice retreat so I can join you. My dh wants to watch CNN all the time so I retreat to the computer.

Have a nice weekend all. Ann
Old 03-22-2003, 08:28 PM   #4  

Ann, Yes the topics are nation wide. But we do have a choice of sticking with it or modifing it some way. I for one thought the topic this week was stinky!!! So went with reframing and doing something else when stressed considering the world affairs of today. I did past out the activity sheet and went over it but I also confessed that I have not been able to wrap my Pea brain around that one. I see cookies, donuts, pizza as yummy not yukky. Asserting I do well. That is the topic in a couple of week.

Also you asked me my thoughts on the low carb diets. I have a number of Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and one brothern and s-i-l on the Atkins diet. What I see is they do lose weight fast but deprive themselves so much when it comes to fruits and vegetables and other high carb food. I do know from my own experience that when I limit sugar and white flour and white potatos I lose weight faster. I always seem to crave more or want to eat again soon after a meal when eating those. But that is just me. I've found by eating medium carbs like sweet potato. I am satified much longer. Some where I have a list of high carb, Med. carb and low carbs. I should try and find it for you . I do not believe in the Atkins diet . Like I said I have many relatives on it. I've seen them go off and on and I've seen how fast they can re-gain weight when off their food so to speak. You might wonder why so many of them do that and not Weight Watchers? Your guess is as good as mine. Plus I don't preach to them like I do to you all. My way of thinking with the Points system you are never off your diet. You may over eat once in a while , but then the next meal your back on program. Climbing off my soap box now. Talk to you later.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:30 PM   #5  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
I am all over my cold now, but I think Trudy has it now. I saw her yesterday when we went to Costco and her throat was sore and her head was feeling all stuffed. I phoned her today, and she said she was feeling not too bad, so that was good news.

Ann I have to say that I certainly agree with that article you read about the United Nations losing it's effectiveness. Canada is of course a part of the UN, but if an organization is not going to do it's job then why even have it. The UN will only be as effecitive as it's member countries.....and if you have a mandate ALL COUNTRIES should come together to support that mandate, then "EVERYBODY" will know that the UN means business. Ok, that's all I'll say........

I had to buy a new monitor, mine was starting to lose it's brightness and it made it difficult to see pictures and things like that. DH and I have looked at a few over the last couple of weeks and today we bought a 17" Samsung Thin Panel one. It's great. Now that I have this new one installed I can't believe how really bad my other one was.

Talk to you all soon.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:47 AM   #6  
Life Time 2001

Karen: Loved my Staff meeting was very informative. And it is great to see others there also. I myself see some of the War on TV, but as always steer clear of it. Would rather hear on the radio what is going on than watch.

Ann: Switching is a very hard subject. I did not get to hear how my leader put it, as I had to WI at the staff meeting so did not attend my meeting. I did hear others this week. Im glad Im not a leader as it is a hard subject to deal wih. I also have to agree with Karen on the Low carb diets. I have a freind that went on Atkins. She did really well for 2 months. Lost weight really fast, 20# . Then she started missing things she wanted, Ate them and has now gone off the "diet" and has gained 15 pounds of it back. I really feel the only way to lose weight and keep it off is to make it your life style.
Off my soap box now to

Slavika: Ohhhhhhhhh New Monitor. Flat bed at that. Please dont tell hubby. Actually Im very jealous myself Glad you are feeling better! Hope Trudy does soon to!

Night!

Last edited by LilyG; 03-23-2003 at 01:56 AM.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:10 AM   #7  
Member Florida Chick

Slavika: glad you are recovered. Hope Trudy will not be miserable too long.

Karen and Lily: Thank you for the info. I don't agree with the Atkins diet either. I think one has to have moderation and that is what the WW program and points do. also glad to hear that as a leader you can do some modification now and then.

We are having a really rainy day. Pouring as a matter of fact. Got to church between showers, and now it is pouring down again.

I know what you mean about getting sucked into watching the news a lot. I don't think that there has ever been such coverage as this before. I head for the computer after a while.

Hope you have a blessed Sunday. Keep praying for a speedy end to this war. Ann
Old 03-24-2003, 07:36 PM   #8  

G'day all,

Good to read everyones posts again this morning.

Ann I have to agree with you and the role of the United Nations, it all seems a bit too much talk and really not much action. I am trying hard not to watch CNN but then cannot help myself and feel I MUST know what is going on. It is all very worrying and I really feel for the American POW's and their families. I thought the speech by the best actor (Adrien ????) was very good. He really said what I feel about the whole situation contrary to the other person who won for best documentary. I really don't think it helps anyone by showing such disrespect for the leadership of the USA and their allies.
I will also get off my soapbox but the whole situation is just tragic and lets hope sanity will soon prevail.

Slavika a new flat screen, wow!!! I would love to have that. My webpage must look great now
Good to hear you are over your cold but sorry you passed it on to Trudy

Lily new camera is great. I have taken some shots with mine and dh took the same shots with hte new camera and boy there is quite a difference, especially with the landscape type shots.

Karen I quite like you getting on your soap box now and then, you always make a lot of sense.

We spend the weekend going to Napier, a seaside town on the East Coast of the North Island. The scenery on the way there was just magnificent. We went the long way through a national park, in the middle of the park was a beautiful lake, it was created many years ago by the earth collapsing and the lake was created. It was awesome, the track around the lake was 42km, gives you an idea how large it was. We never saw any tourists, just unbelievable, so tranquil and peaceful.
Work is giving us many challenges again. We may be leaving here as early as the end of the week but as usual we have no certainty.
Thank you to those who had experience with motorhomes. I sort of understand what you are saying Slavika but I thought I would prefer the coninuity of the same bed for the 10 days rather than stopping off at a different motel every night. Time will tell, we may not even be able to rent a motor home, we are supposed to book it 30 days in advance and of course there is no way we can do that.

I must be away, till next time
Cheers
Maria
Old 03-25-2003, 10:13 PM   #9  
Ash

Default From Down Under

Hello Everbody

I had just written a reply to everyone on this page and then I pressed the wrong button and...poof, it all went off to fly around cyberspace. At the moment I am very frustrated, so I want you all to know that at least I am thinking of all of you.

Maria, Ann, Lily, Trudy, Slavika, Glenda, Peggy, Karen and anyone that I have forgotten...Sorry.

Take care all,

Jenye

Last edited by Ash; 03-25-2003 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:06 PM   #10  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

How are you all doing? I guess the war and the news of the war is on everybody's mind these days. As a Canadian, I learned that there was a website to go to, to send an e-mail to our Prime Minister, Mr. Chretien, (with a copy going to the White House) to let him know that he did not speak on behalf of all the Canadian people whom he represents. I was happy to sign my name to the e-mail letting him know that although we were not able to support the U.S. militarily, (since we just don't have the military force/ships or planes) we could support the U.S. efforts in principle, which he did not do................

I had my day out with my friend today and it is nice to see that the snow is quickly disappearing. I bought my grandson some "cool" looking shorts and a T-Shirt but I just couldn't find anything for the Princess. Once little girls out grow size 6X I have to say the styles somehow don't seem as cute. I'll keep looking.

For those of you that get the Weight Watcher's Newsletter, the recipe for "Oat and Apricot Breakfast Bars" is a really good one. I am not fond of apricots so I substituted dried cranberries/raisins/few glazed cherries instead. I made it for Tea Time yesterday, and we all agreed it was a "keeper".

Talk to you all soon.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:23 PM   #11  
Fun Blonde

The war, the war, the war! I get so tired of it and yet, I can't help myself and watch every chance I get. Kind of reminds me during the coverage of 9-11 and during the Murrah Building bombing in OKC. I got so tired of it, but at 5 going home from work I just wanted to see what I had missed. I am so proud of our boys. Those poor people have lived in such terror for so long! The horrible stories about rape-rooms and tortures are just pretty tragic. I don't understand how any one man could be so evil. That is always my downfall--trying to understand the not-understandable.

We are having our renewal vows on Sunday. Our oldest son will walk me down the aisle and say when asked who gives this woman, etc. "my brothers and I." Isn't that cool? Looking forward to it so much.

Through with my physical therapy for my elbow. It still aches when I pick up Austin, but he is probably about 30 pounds. Hard to remember not to pick him up when he flies at me and lifts his arms.

Be happy. Hope we get this Iraq mess cleaned up really soon.
Glenda
Old 03-29-2003, 05:12 PM   #12  
Super Surfer

Angry Hi everyone

Greetings from Sunshine Spring-like Canada. It's about time too.
All the snow is gone and we can start thinking about what we want to plant in our gardens again. I love the change of seasons, but just wish we didn't get that brutal artic cold.

My mind has been on food all day. This morning I did a lot of baking and this afternoon I have been organizing and re-typing recipes... I had better freeze 99% of that baking or I will be very sorry I did not WI for March. I still have Monday, but it looks like this month will be a miss. If I could get to WW without eating or putting on any clothes, I might be ok.. , but that isn't going to happen. I will go sometime in April and pay my $12.00.

Glenda I think renewing your vows is so romantic. Having your sons participate is so nice. I hope Sunday goes just beautifully for you. I don't know how many years you have been married, but I wish you a lifetime of happiness.

Slavika one of the recipes I baked today was the Oat Bar from WW. I liked the one you made so much. I only used craisons and I didn't have any sunflower seeds, so I used a few broken pecans. Thanks for the great idea.

Jenye I can't tell you how many times I have lost a post. Usually I hit some little button on the right side of my key board and everything disappears. I wish I could find out what the heck all those buttons are for.

Maria You are still in New Zealand? Your trip to Napier sounded so tranquil. This job of your DH is sure showing you the world.

Ann My cold is all gone and I hope it doesn't come back any time soon. My DD and little have a cold now. They got it from my SIL, he was off work for 3 days.
Have any of you heard of SARS that is causing quite a commotion here? It is a pneumonia like virus from China that has 2 hospitals in Toronto closed down. It has killed about 53 people in China and I think a couple in To. People are buying masks as it is spread by coughing. It is always something.

Lily I agree with you, all the fad diets are a waste of time. We want to eat what we always eat, we just have to learn portion control.. my biggest problem. If I like 1 cookie it is so hard not to eat more... they call me. A belated Happy Anniversary to you. Sorry I didn't congratulate you earlier.

Well, I hope all of you are having a peaceful weekend. Take care...
Old 03-29-2003, 11:53 PM   #13  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

Lily Hope you and DH had a nice anniversary, and that you didn't get a headache.

Glenda I hope tomorrow turns out to be just as special as the day you married. Have a wonderful day.

Nothing much new with me. I once again have a cold. I think Trudy and I are just taking turns.
This time I am coughing so I am not sleeping that well at night.
Yesterday, I couldn't believe it, but I fell sound asleep SITTING UP in the sofa chair while watching the war news on TV. Somebody was ringing my front door bell, and I woke up with start and kind of staggered to the door to see who was there. It was a RCMP officer bringing papers for DH to appear in court about that accident we witnessed on the way home from the lake, not last summer but the summer before. The first time it went to court and DH was called as a witness it was thrown out of court because of some clerical error.
The RCMP officer gave me a copy of the original statement that DH had given them so that he could refresh his memory before appearing this time......GEEZ, I guess so.

Hi to you all, and hope you are all having a nice weekend.

Last edited by slavika; 03-30-2003 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:54 PM   #14  
Member Florida Chick

Unhappy Another rainy Sunday

Glenda: I hope this has been such a special day for you and your family. Also hope the elbow continues to improve quickly.
I too hope that things will be cleaned up over there without more loss of life. When one reads and sees what the Iraqi soldiers are doing to their own people it is just mind boggling, and then we have all those negative demonstrators here. They just make me plain mad.

Slavika: The arm of the law does move slowly doesn't it. Good thing he got help with remembring his story.2 years is a long time to remember details. Sorry about the cold reoccuring. Some times they just seem to hang on forever.

Trudy: Good to hear from you. I went and weighed in this week. My march WI and it wasn't good. I agree, I'd like to go weigh in, in my bathing suit. : I hear you about the calling cookies. I have to take some to a meeting tonight, and made a big batch, but of course I had to sample one to see if it passed the test. got it from the Light and Tasty Magazine. So it wasn't too bad.

Lily: Hope you had a lovely anniversary. Sometimes staying home for a quiet evening is just the best. This weeks WW topic was a bit better that last. We were all able to come up with some good generic substitutes for points rich stuff.

Maria: What is next for you two? On your way home soon? You mentioned that the climate in New Zealand vs. the war is quite different from Australia. Your guys are side by side with ours. I think as things progress, and the world sees just what is happening over there, and the proof that SH was lying all this time, world opinion will change some. Of course those countries who have financial interests there, like France and Russia, just can't back down. They have to save some sort of 'face'

Ashe: How are the weights working? Hope you are finding them successful.

Peggy: Are you getting into Easter Crafts now? There are sure some cute things out there.

Karen: Hope all went well in your meetings this week. Are you still doing 10? That is sure a lot of talking. By the last one you must feel like a bloken record.:

We have a church meeting tonight and another gal and I will be providing the meal. Chicken, potato salad, Baked beans, cole slaw, rolls, Ambrosia and cookies. I need to be on my best behavior. Why is it that some days are worse than others. I know I have times when I could just eat the world

I think I need to have a lit under me to shake up my brain.

Hope this has been a good weekend for you all. Ann
Old 03-30-2003, 04:55 PM   #15  
Net browser

FROM MARIA

G'day all,

It was nice to read all your posts this morning but a jolly nuisance that it is so difficult for me to reply hence I have called on Slavika to kindly 'cut &paste my post from the email I send her.

Lily congratulations on your anniversary, hope you had a good night. I really enjoy a nice dinner at home a lot more than going out to dinner. The only problem is that we tend to over do the 'champagne bit' (nobody has to drive so why not!!!!) and the headache the next day is not good.

Karen What is special about St Clouds?? Is it a large department store? Good to heart spring has sprung but sorry it is upsetting your stomach.

Glenda How were your renewal vows? You must have felt very proud having your son's 'give you away'. I am glad your elbow is so much better, it still makes me cringe when I think of what you did to your elbow!

Trudy Isn't it a pain when you have those days that all you can think of is food. Hope you 'survived' it and got all your baking in the freezer before succumbing to the temptation!
SARS virus is a real worry, I am glad we are not in HongKong.

Jeney we certainly all have lost the best post we ever wrote into cyberspace Hope you are well, I see the footy season has started and the weather is still OK. Here in NZ we get NO Australian footy results much to dh's disgust!

Ann weigh in a bathing suit, that would add at least 2 or 3 pounds The only time to weigh is, first thing in the morning, after a bathroom stop, before a shower (wet hair weighs a lot ) and then balance ever so carefully to get the 'correct' reading! I must say not having any scales and just going by the comfort of ones clothes gives me a lot more incentive to go on and to be 'good'. Some of my clothes are almost too big, well I said almost...........It continues to be a slow process but I feel happy not feeling so bloated and yuckie.

Our last weekend in the North Island we spend driving to the Bay of Plenty and the Coromandel Region. We had been told it was a holiday destination for New Zealanders we weren't disappointed, fantastic surf and the weather continues to be very warm, very tropical. The Coromandel region reminded me a bit of Fiji, very lush green and islands just dotted around the place, some magnificent views. We were saying to each other why would anyone want to leave New Zealand, it just seems to have everything. When we booked into the motel, the owner pounced on us when she knew we were Australians. She is planning to move with her husband and children to Australia. We asked why she would want to leave New Zealand and she said that there is no future in New Zealand, the economy is going backwards and she feels her children would have far more opportunities in Australia. So you see what appears like paradise is not quite what it seems.

Yes we have a date and the flight is booked for us to return home albeit for a very short time.
We are leaving Hamilton early Thursday morning for Wellington where dh will be doing some work for 2 days and then we catch the ferry to the South Island. We will return to Wellington on the 16th and then leave for Australia on the 17th.

DH will probably be going back early May, he will try and stretch it out as much as he can particularly as it is his father's 90th birthday on May 13. I will stay in Adelaide a bit longer to organise a few things.
One thing I really want to see if I can do something more about is my arthritis.
The first few weeks that we were here, it seemed to ease a bit but for the past 6 weeks or so I have been taking Viiox again and now as the weather is changing to autumn, it is becoming increasingly worse and I would be lucky to sleep for any longer than 2 hours at a time. It is very annoying and it is starting to get me down.
We had more or less decided against a motor home but after a really bad night last night, I told dh this morning that a motorhome is definitely OUT. I am up half the night and to be in such a confined space will probably drive us both nuts!

Well I really have gone on long enough, I haven't touched on the war but as all of you, I just wished it was over.

Have a great week all
Cheers
Maria
Closed Thread