Weight Loss Support - Turning Job loss into a chance to focus on me

Veela
05-15-2012, 11:25 PM
I found out yesterday that my contract with my current employer is not being renewed and as a result I will be out of a job as of May 25th. Although it is a crappy turn of events I am not nearly as upset as I should be.

First off I hate my job and believe that it has been a significant reason for the weight I have gained in the past 2 years.

My job is also very draining mentally and physically and it makes it very difficult for me to find the time and energy to focus on fitness and healthy eating.

Also I feel as though I have been holding onto this job like a security blanket and that this is a chance for me to seek out the job that I really want.

In the month of June I am hopefully going to receive Employment Insurance and use the time while job hunting to really focus on me and what I want. I need to start de-cluttering my life and spend time in the gym and enjoying my life.

I have never felt so positive about such a negative event in my life before and am really looking forward to reclaiming my life and health again!

Has anyone else taken a negative life event as an opportunity to focus on themselves?

tinkerbell4726
05-15-2012, 11:44 PM
I actually just quit my job. I know it sounds irresponsible but when you dread your job as badly as I did, no amount of money can make up for that. I stayed 5 years too long. I plan on using this time job hunting to focus on me and find something that I can be proud of doing.

It is scary, and I am worried for what the future holds, but I know in my heart I did the right thing by leaving. I know it wasn't a choice for you, but better things await you!

And good for you to turn this into a positive instead of a negative. You will find something, but in the mean time take good care of yourself :)

Arctic Mama
05-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Well you can't help the job situation, but you can definitely control how you respond to it. Good for you!

Veela
05-16-2012, 02:12 AM
tinkerbell I think you made a wise decision to leave a job that you really couldn't enjoy. Last year when they renewed my contract I considered turning it down but the prospect of not have a job was so scary and I wasn't brave enough to face it. I think spending another year doing a job that made me miserable and sucked the life out of me was worse.

I really am surprised at how happy I feel about this change.

freelancemomma
05-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Eighteen years ago I was fired from a job. It was a beautiful sunny day in July and I remember feeling oddly elated. Long story short, the loss of the job spurred me to launch a successful career as a freelance writer and I've never looked back.

F.