PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #1  

Default Difficulty Losing Weight

I have spent the last year trying to lose 5-10lbs. I was diagnosed a little over a year ago with PCOS and insulin resistance. I am currently taking 1500mg of Metformin. I am not obese, 5'2" and 145 (would ideally like to be 135) and have been at 145 for almost a year now. I have tried EVERYTHING from the low glycemic diet, to atkins, to 1200 calories/day. In addition to a bootcamp workout 2 days a week, a personal training session once a week, and physical activity on the other days of the week for at least 30 mins (bike riding, walking, swimming). And still, nothing. Im at a complete loss about what to do and am starting to become completely discouraged. The discouragement stems from the fact that when I wasnt working this hard to lose weight, I wasnt gaining any either. And despite all of the things I have tried, I still cant lose anything. Its so frustrating... Does anyone have suggestions or anything that might help. I would deeply appreciate it.

Thanks
ErikaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/268/170

Height: 5'9

I am by no means suggesting this will work, but I feel like I was in your same situation but with a lot more weight to lose. Scale wouldn't even budge while taking diethylpropion, low carb, and daily exercise. Doctors wont listen to me about insulin resistance because my blood sugar is at 84, not even close to prediabetic. Did some research on birth control making insulin resistance worse, and since I felt like the headaches were getting more severe on yaz so I quit all together. This has triggered a steady weight loss for two weeks by not changing anything but no more birth control.
hydro46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #3  
Fellow cyster!

S/C/G: 170/170/150

Height: 5'10"

What is your typical diet? What sorts of foods do you eat on a regular basis?

Last edited by claristotle; 06-11-2012 at 11:44 AM.
claristotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Don't say "nothing" -- you have been maintaining at 145 WITH PCOS/IR -- an endocrine disorder with no cure that just messes with people's metabolism!

That's a MAJOR plus!

I wish I was that close to my goal weight!

So tell us more about your diet -- post a typical day?

And about your exercise? I see a lot of cardio but not much for weight training.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/130/110

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaAnnie View Post
I have spent the last year trying to lose 5-10lbs. I was diagnosed a little over a year ago with PCOS and insulin resistance. I am currently taking 1500mg of Metformin. I am not obese, 5'2" and 145 (would ideally like to be 135) and have been at 145 for almost a year now. I have tried EVERYTHING from the low glycemic diet, to atkins, to 1200 calories/day. In addition to a bootcamp workout 2 days a week, a personal training session once a week, and physical activity on the other days of the week for at least 30 mins (bike riding, walking, swimming). And still, nothing. Im at a complete loss about what to do and am starting to become completely discouraged. The discouragement stems from the fact that when I wasnt working this hard to lose weight, I wasnt gaining any either. And despite all of the things I have tried, I still cant lose anything. Its so frustrating... Does anyone have suggestions or anything that might help. I would deeply appreciate it.

Thanks

I have the same issue. I'm 5'4" and 145lbs. I'm on Metformin at 2000mg per day. I can't seem to lose weight. I do not have insulin resistance, but I am diagnosed with PCOS and only have my periods once every 2 months.

I might go back to Yasmin, since while I was on that I was down to 132lbs. I know that might be different from what the poster said above me, but at this point, I'm really willing to try anything. I work out 6 days a week - running 9k or P90X, and I eat 2 meals a day and only snack on fruit. So IDK.
AllisonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #6  
Fit before 30! 12/6/2013

S/C/G: 200ish/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

I'm curious of what you eat also
& when

*most* cysters need to eat 6 meals a day, your metabolism will not burn fat if you don't fuel it

I do 3 meals & 3 snacks the scale is starting to move the right way 
MrsH2132012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #7  
Doing it for myself

S/C/G: 187/177/175

Height: 5'4 1/2

I definalty agree with previous post about the eating every few hours. I have to eat every 2 to 3 hours to see results. Which I use to think the less I ate the more I would lose but your body has to have something to burn. Since doing this and taking metformin 1,000 mg a day I have been losing a little weight which is fine to me becaue I wasn't losing any at first until I began eating regularly.
coshun2003 is offline   Reply With Quote