Ideal Protein Diet - Favorite Vegetable and how you prepare it!

amyjaelou
05-14-2012, 05:29 PM
I thought it would be fun to see what everyone's favorite vegetable is and how they prepare it! Mine has to definitely be cauliflower. I love to roast it with EVOO and sea salt, or to add some kick to it I splash it with LA hot sauce. Then I also love it raw, with WF bleu cheese dressing. Definitely a go to for me.

IsobelRose22
05-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Got to be British asparagus, stir fried with broccoli with lemon pepper and a bit of garlic.

staceyjblack
05-14-2012, 05:48 PM
I have been steaming 1 3/4C of Cauliflower, and topping w 1/4 cup of spicy SF marinara. I made it on a whim one night when I was itching for some pasta. It not only kicked the craving, its just plain delicious. I probably make it every week.

DanafromAustin
05-14-2012, 06:05 PM
I roast just about every vegetable or add spinach to my pudding shakes. Right now my favorite is roasted asparagus, with just a little bit of olive oil and sea salt.

IsobelRose22
05-14-2012, 06:30 PM
I actually might give a top 5. There are so many amazing vegetables, I love them stir fried or roasted. I also like experimenting with herbs and spices, soy sauce.

(In no particular order)

1. Onion
2. Spinach, cabbage, pak choi.
3. Sweet potato
4. Red Peppers
5. Sugarsnap peas (or anything in the green bean family)

CassiR
05-14-2012, 07:35 PM
My #1 is Def ROASTED ZUCCHINI! I slice them into round chips and them spray them with EVOO and salt.

#2 is Roasted Broccoli.. yum!

#3 is Roasted Cauliflower

Copperhead31
05-14-2012, 07:41 PM
I really like brussels sprouts roasted with EVOO and salt and pepper.

The funny thing is, two months ago you couldn't pay me to eat brussels sprouts...

GramEGail
05-14-2012, 07:41 PM
I have grown to love zucchini too! Zucchini chips, grated zucchini sauteed with EVOO and salt, and zucchini grated in 2 eggs whites and scrambled.

Pookiepotpie2
05-14-2012, 08:31 PM
I love spinach I put it in my morning shake or sauté it with evoo and put it in almost any of the soups.

WingnutandMe
05-14-2012, 08:54 PM
I roast just about every vegetable or add spinach to my pudding shakes. Right now my favorite is roasted asparagus, with just a little bit of olive oil and sea salt.

I'm right there with Dana on the roasted asparagus. Probably have it three+ times a week. Have now planted three 10 foots rows in hopes to have our own future yearly crop.

Molly

Darralyn
05-14-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm right there with Dana on the roasted asparagus. Probably have it three+ times a week. Have now planted three 10 foots rows in hopes to have our own future yearly crop.

Molly

Yum:drool: I LOVE roasted asparagus!!!

kelseyvc
05-14-2012, 09:11 PM
It's technically a fruit, but I LOVE avocados. Probably one of my favorite foods ever. I'll eat them pretty much any way I can think of, but guacamole from scratch is a common one. Also, it's pretty good just plain sliced on sandwiches, salads, curries, and so on.

audgirl78
05-14-2012, 10:20 PM
I have learned to love cauliflower the best on IP Diet, but carbs haven't been my friend. During the weeks I eat cauliflower I have a bad WI. So I learned a Brussels Sprout hash recipe that has been my friend.

Brussels sprouts take the winner circle.

Shred 1 lb. brussels sprouts with a slicer or cheese grater. I also cut up about an inch of leeks (my original recipe called for shallots, but those are not always easy to find). You roast both these in EVOO until browning. Add apple cider vinegar and 3 packets of stevia or Splenda. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.

Awesome!

mooselover
05-14-2012, 10:31 PM
I love raw cauliflower with oil and vinegar, salt and pepper :)

Up North Girl
05-14-2012, 10:33 PM
I love roasted red peppers, zucchini, green onions, and mushrooms with EVOO and lemon cooked on the grill. Also like any kind of greens--Swiss chard, kale, beet greens -- boiled and served with vinegar. Romaine or raddicio (sp?) is surprisingly good on the grill, too.

Meadow Wheeler
05-15-2012, 12:28 AM
I thought it would be fun to see what everyone's favorite vegetable is and how they prepare it!

My DH and I are both doing IP. Here are our favorites:

1) Rhubarb - boiled until soft...mash up with 2 Tbsp WF strawberry spread and 2 Tbsp WF Carmel Syrup

2) Baked Zucchini - Cut up in spears - mixed with EVOO, Italian seasoning, sea salt, garlic powder and Alpine Touch.

3) Tomato slices with Basil and topped with EVOO and apple cider vinegar. (modified caprese salad)

Thkdiff
05-15-2012, 12:33 AM
Just gorged on these yesterday....baked sweet potatoes, diced, add tons of chili pepper, black pepper , lemon and alittle salt! Soooo good! If your craving carbs and spice:)

carolirish
05-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Sauteed mushrooms and garlic in olive oil with sea salt is my favorite.

NEED HELP: I have tried making zucchini chips and some burnt and some were mushy. I have read about people making spinach chips. Can someone help me out with the recipe. Do I use baking paper, how thick should the "chips" be. Any other type of roasted vegetable chips recipe would be appreciated.

Aud007
05-15-2012, 07:35 AM
I love roasted asparagus with just a touch of lemon juice, olive oil and sea salt...yummy! Also eat alot of peppers. Grilled zucchini + eggplants I really like as well ;-)

dizzyjean
05-15-2012, 08:44 AM
I love the cauliflower salad I found on this site. Mix a whole raw cauliflower with diced cucumber in a bowl. Then mix onion, mustard, cilantro EVOO and vinegar, sea salt, pepper in the food processor till smooth. Then toss it with the cauliflower. I take this to work most days with some salad and it makes a great work lunch.

GloverParker
05-15-2012, 09:01 AM
Add me to the roasted asparagus camp and I can't believe I'm the first one to add kale chips!

MustangMolly
05-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Just gorged on these yesterday....baked sweet potatoes, diced, add tons of chili pepper, black pepper , lemon and alittle salt! Soooo good! If your craving carbs and spice:)

Okay I just have to ask if you are on IP as I did not think we were allowed any kind of potato. It sounds really yummy.

NOVAScents
05-15-2012, 10:48 AM
I love the cauliflower salad I found on this site. Mix a whole raw cauliflower with diced cucumber in a bowl. Then mix onion, mustard, cilantro EVOO and vinegar, sea salt, pepper in the food processor till smooth. Then toss it with the cauliflower. I take this to work most days with some salad and it makes a great work lunch.

That sounds YUMMMY!

Soootiff
05-15-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm almost annoying with how much zucchini and asparagus I eat.

Grilled or roasted are my two favorite ways to have them. I put EVOO and sea salt on them and then grill or roast them.
Zucchini "chips" dipped in WF onion dip is really good too, but it's easy for me to get burnt out on that dip so I have to be careful.

New Englander
05-15-2012, 12:47 PM
I agree. II saw some things that aren't allowed in P1...sweet potatoes, cooked onions, avocados, sugar snap peas...

My favs are roasted rutabaga, cauliflower or broccoli with EVOO and real salt. sauted spinach with soy sauce, garlic and ginger...

momat40
05-15-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm into the asparagus w/garlic and EVOO and roasted cauliflower with EVOO, sea salt & dill.

redhead14
05-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Rutabaga in chunks with olive oil in tin foil with seasonings throw the pack-it on the grill. YUMMY!! They get sweet and are great with steak.
Kale chips are the best.

LizRR
05-15-2012, 01:38 PM
My number one favorite is Spinach in my Breakfast Spinach Smoothie because I can't taste it - all I taste is delicious chocolate!

My number 2 would be Kale Chips

My number 3 would be Roasted Cauliflower, Celery, & Garlic pureed into a soup with Chicken Broth. I like to pair the 'higher carb' cauliflower with the 'lower carb' celery. You can also bypass the Chicken Broth to keep it as mashed faux-tatos (1 cup Chicken Broth only adds 5 calories from 1 g protein and makes a tasty, thick soup!).

My number 4 is Rhubarb in my Raspberry Jelly! Or with a little Stevia to top my Crispy Cereal Pancakes!

amyjaelou
05-15-2012, 01:38 PM
I also need help on the Zucchini chips. I can't get them to come out crisp. But, I loved the Kale chips. They were awesome! I wondered the same thing about the potatoes..

amyjaelou
05-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Lizrr, I will definitely be trying the soup. That sounds really yummy.

momat40
05-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Since we are talking veggies, my SIL's grocery shopping given to them by their IP coach list spinach & celery as unlimited. In reviewing the actual IP sheet, it just says lettuce and cucumbers.

What do I follow?

carolirish
05-15-2012, 04:05 PM
I also need help on the Zucchini chips. I can't get them to come out crisp. But, I loved the Kale chips. They were awesome! I wondered the same thing about the potatoes..

Hello amyjaelou. How do you make the kale chips? Could I follow those instructions for spinach chips? Some of my zucchini chips were crispy but most of them were soggy. The crispy ones were cut very thin. Maybe this is the trick! the ones that did work were tasty.

amyjaelou
05-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Hello amyjaelou. How do you make the kale chips? Could I follow those instructions for spinach chips? Some of my zucchini chips were crispy but most of them were soggy. The crispy ones were cut very thin. Maybe this is the trick! the ones that did work were tasty.

Carolirish, I got the Kale chips recipe off of Pinterest, but it is the same basic concept as roasting any other vegetable. You pull the leaves of the Kale off of the stem, toss them in EVOO, add salt and put them in a hot oven. You probably need to find the recipe online so you get the temps and time correct. They were really good, and seriously had the "feel" of a lay's potato chip. very light, and crisp.

carolirish
05-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks amy.. I'm gonna check out interest now. If I perfect the zucchini chips I will post the details.

Edit: Just checked out pinterest, There are many recipes for making all sorts of Vegetable "Chips".

Cadu
05-15-2012, 07:23 PM
I mashed up some steamed frozen turnips yesterday.. salt, pepper & sprayed some cant believe its not butter on them. It was pretty good.

paulimapi
05-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Cucumber with salt and lemon! :)

Sewmam
05-15-2012, 08:49 PM
I hated turnips growing up, but the mock potato salad using turnips is actually really good! I've since taken to roasting them in small pieces, like the 'fries,' with some garam masala and onion powder and that's good too.

I can not seem to make brussel sprouts taste good. I've tried roasting and they still have cruciferous aftertaste. They are so cute, I really want to like them! ;)

LizR posted some variants on the kale chips that really taste good, like sprinkling your favorite seasonings on them, or WF barbecue sauce. I love kale chips, but didn't like the aftertaste, but with spices or the BBQ on it, they are great! Maybe I should try this with the brussel sprouts....

LizRR
05-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Oh yeah, I like my kale chips lightly tossed in WF Spicy BBQ sauce - that saved me today when I got hit with the hungries! Or just sprayed with EVOO and sprinkled with fajita seasoning (that's how my hubs like them).

Thkdiff
05-16-2012, 12:21 AM
Not on ip, but mostly eating protein. I have sweet potatoes or yams b4 my workout. It's good, if you want something carby and good 4 u!

shathom
05-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Fav is asparagus, roasted with EVOO spray and sprinkled with sea salt, pepper and some red pepper flakes (I like it spicy).

Smooches!

Sammi67
05-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Cucumbers with Apple cider vinegar and "Old Bay" seasoning. This is a Maryland spice used on crabs that may be hard to find outside of the Chesapeake Bay but is really yummy with the apple cider vinegar. A real treat!!