Weight Loss Support - Do you go out with a bang before starting your diet?

Porthardygurl
05-14-2012, 03:12 AM
Im curious to know how many people think like me. I love food, i love the idea of food and the idea of being on a diet is ...well...:mad: Not exactly what i had in mind to do for the rest of my life, but since it needs to be a lifestyle change and that means never tasting my favorite candy again..I decided to go out with a SHABANG! as in..Bring out the best dinner in the world and eat all the snack foods and dessert and anything your little heart desire's because im not gonna eat it again..i think.

Anyone else do that? Throw one last hoorah before giving it all up and chucking it out the window??

chickadee32
05-14-2012, 03:19 AM
Well, I wasn't planning to start my weight loss at a set time, I just started the morning after a particularly upsetting doctor's appointment. So I didn't even think about "going out with a bang." I thought "I need to start losing this weight NOW."

If I had thought about it at the time, I might have done something similar. But knowing what I do now about how I handle food, weight loss, etc., I wouldn't. I don't consider anything off-limits; anything is fine as long as I budget it into my day or week, and even a splurge here and there is fine. There's nothing that I can't eat ever again (maybe things I won't, but nothing I can't have if I wanted it), and so there is no need to get it in one last time.

ValRock
05-14-2012, 03:29 AM
NO, this kind of all or nothing attitude is how I got fat in the first place!

If I fall off the wagon, I get back on... no "this is the last time I'll..." nonsense. Just do what you gotta do :). Don't undo all your hard work before you even start!

melodymist
05-14-2012, 03:32 AM
I don't consider anything off-limits; anything is fine as long as I budget it into my day or week, and even a splurge here and there is fine. There's nothing that I can't eat ever again (maybe things I won't, but nothing I can't have if I wanted it), and so there is no need to get it in one last time.

I agree, this is the same for me. I eat everything, just in reasonable servings. Would have a cookie or two but not 20 cookies on one day.

As long as it's in my daily calorie intake it's fine with me :)

irishcanary
05-14-2012, 03:36 AM
I was doing this earlier this year but it just lead to eating too much one day and then eating nothing the next day. Not good.

It can be hard to not have one last hurrah before you start dieting. However its always better to have consistent level of calories day in and day out. If you really want something, have it but just don't have a lot off it.
Today i am really craving these white chocolate carmel squares (uber yummy when heated up) so rather than eat the whole pack like i used to. I might just have one or half of one :).

linJber
05-14-2012, 05:00 AM
I didn't plan when I started so there was no big bang the day before here, either. And I agree that there is no "never" in my eating plan. Even while losing. The only thing I banned totally was candy at the beginning. I'm not sure why I said no candy until I lost 50 pounds, but that was my only "all or nothing" stipulation all along. And, it seems like a self defeating way to start out. It's not like we're on death row and planning our last meal!

Good luck.

Lin

philana
05-14-2012, 05:33 AM
I also did not plan when I started, I just all at once was like "holy cow I'm well over my personal 70kg max and I am turning 26 next week so almost 30, I need to change something NOW."

I agree with chickadee and Val - just budget stuff in and not tell yourself to never have stuff you like again. In the end your taste may change or you may think certain foods are not worth the calories that are in them so you might make different choices. But "one last time" is really not a good mentality I think because putting something so offlimits that you can't have it ever again just makes it BIGGER than it is. It starts to look like the mother of all perfect happiness foods while it isn't. And you'd learn that lesson if you don't place it as offlimits.

sontaikle
05-14-2012, 05:50 AM
Like others, I didn't plan to start. I just decided one day to do something and here I am.

Nothing's off limits to me. I don't feel deprived at all. I still go out to eat (more than I should probably, I'm spending too much $$), still have sweets, and my all time favorite: pizza.

Find a way to lose weight that allows you to live :) Don't diet—change your life.

Snoofie
05-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Im curious to know how many people think like me. I love food, i love the idea of food and the idea of being on a diet is ...well...:mad: Not exactly what i had in mind to do for the rest of my life, but since it needs to be a lifestyle change and that means never tasting my favorite candy again..I decided to go out with a SHABANG! as in..Bring out the best dinner in the world and eat all the snack foods and dessert and anything your little heart desire's because im not gonna eat it again..i think.

Anyone else do that? Throw one last hoorah before giving it all up and chucking it out the window??

Well, in my case, there's no need to "go out with a bang." I guess I'm lucky enough that I can do the whole "moderation" thing, because there was NO WAY I was going to give up any of my favourite foods. I knew that for me, personally, if I told myself I could never have a particular food again, I would doom myself to failure. So I still eat all of the foods I did before; I just choose to eat certain things less often, and in smaller amounts.

Having said that, I do know that plenty of people do the whole "one last hurrah" thing before they start a lifestyle change.

EatMoreCelery
05-14-2012, 09:20 AM
I used to do that "go out with a bang" thing with an attitude of "I'll diet tomorrow." However, I have learned that this just stretches my stomach and makes me feel guilty for overeating. It also makes me crave food and be hungry the days following the "binge." Many times that "diet tomorrow" gets put off over and over and then I end up at 230 pounds, unhealthy and unhappy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-retro2/flower01/lb/230/169/218.4/.png

OhThePlaces
05-14-2012, 09:42 AM
I used to have a lot of "last hoorahs". The problem was that I would only stick to healthy eating for a short time, before I went off track and of course I'd need "one last hoorah" before starting again! I now realize that this is a healthy lifestyle. There isn't a single food that I'll never eat again... I just can't eat them as frequently, or in such large amounts as I once did.

I really believe that "last hoorahs" are what made me so heavy in the first place... the need to eat everything bad in sight "one more time". ;)

Only Me
05-14-2012, 09:45 AM
I suppose I could consider this past winter like one big last hurrah, where I expanded myself almost out of my biggest clothes. :o But, I certainly didn't plan it that way. Actually, I'd already been consciously cutting back a bit to more like a maintenance level of food before I finally bit the bullet and decided I either needed to buy bigger clothes or start losing weight. I hate to spend money unnecessarily. :p I also haven't given anything up totally, I just have some things in much smaller amounts and much less often.

BillBlueEyes
05-14-2012, 09:47 AM
hmmmmmm . . .

You might want to try this thought experiment: Consider what advice you'd give a girlfriend who asked if she shouldn't kiss the entire Green Bay Packers football team this weekend before she entered the convent on Monday - "because im not gonna [kiss] again."

Perhaps less dramatic steps are possible.

Recognize that we're all different, but FWIW, it worked for me when I started my journey that I only chose modifications to my eating that I was willing to do for the rest of my life. I tend to rebel against rules, even if I made them myself. So I never really entered a 'diet' - just the "lifestyle changes", as you note. The wise person whose books inspire me, Dr. Judith Beck, has planned a small candy bar into her daily diet - she just likes to end the day with a sweet; works for her.

Good luck choosing the eating plan that works for you. Seems smart to me that you're using 3FC to find folks to talk these things over with.

lm3898
05-14-2012, 09:53 AM
I've done the "going out w/ a bang" - the problem is, the next day, I'll try to be good, and then fall off completely and put it off til the following Monday w/ another "big bang" meal - so my last "big bang" meal probably happened about 10 times until I really got serious...for that reason, I don't recommend it...

retrogirl
05-14-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm waiting for the final call to start my liquid fast for WLS. There will be a list a mile long of foods I can't/won't have ever again.
You better believe I'm hitting the sushi hard one last time. After a time I can tolerate the sashimi only, but never have the rolls again. And sushi is the thing I'll miss most.

kaplods
05-14-2012, 11:08 AM
I used to. And whenever I "blew it" by making even the tiniest of off-plan bites I would do it again before "starting fresh." If I decided to change diet plans because I didn't like the one I was on, I also would have a huge celebration meal to kick off the "new" diet.

All these diet "traditions" (so ingrained in our culture, they're more aptly named rituals) did more to keep me fat than to get the weight off, so I knew I had to give them all up (though sometimes recognizing them as unproductive is the hardest part, so I can't say I don't still have a few).

JossFit
05-14-2012, 11:26 AM
I used to. And whenever I "blew it" by making even the tiniest of off-plan bites I would do it again before "starting fresh."

Same here! I had been "on a diet" for a long time, but whenever I deviated even a little I would totally say screw it and just eat all day (and sometimes the next day) before starting again. Now I eat delicious things when I really crave them or on special occasions, and then resume my normal way of eating immediately. No more multi-day food fests because I'll "never" have something again.

Taking away that limitation took away the feeling that I had to get it all while I could.

mimsyborogoves
05-14-2012, 11:28 AM
I totally went out with a bang right before I started my biggest loser competition. And what's sad is that I had already lost 7lbs on my own after trying to start dieting on my own (without the competition to boost me). I took a whole WEEK of a last hoorah, ate anything and everything I wanted (which was almost nothing but junk), and ended up gaining back the 7lbs that I had already lost! IN ONE WEEK!

Needless to say, doing all that is HIGHLY unnecessary and it will only give you a big, giant set back. I think if you're gonna do something like this, it'd be better to splurge on ONE meal (say, have a cheeseburger and fries or something) then every single meal for an entire week. I know for a fact that I will NEVER EVER do that again. But really, it turned out to being a learning experience of what happens when I eat nothing but junk - I gain gain gain gain GAIN. Never. again. :D

luckystreak
05-14-2012, 02:33 PM
I personally dont think thats a good attitude to have.. you're just making things harder for yourself in the long run, and if you go into your diet thinking "this is the last time I'll ever taste chocolate" you're bound to fail. I dont know about you guys but I was still able to keep some tasty (low cal) treats around the house that I could have 1 or 2 times a week. It kept me sane, and the weight kept coming off. Like you said, it's a lifestyle change. Even thin people have sweets sometimes.

freelancemomma
05-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Yes, I've always gone out with a bang before starting a round of weight loss. (Overeating, eating favourite foods, buying exotic foods on the day before the diet begins -- I call it the "day before syndrome.")

I REALLY disagree with the idea that your upcoming lifestyle change means you can't eat your favourite foods again. I urge you not to go this route, which IMO leads straight to recidivism. I lost 55 pounds last year and have been maintaining for over 6 months, and I can tell you that there is not a single favourite food I have given up. The only thing I've given up is overeating. Actually, I haven't even given THAT up. Some days I still pig out, but I make sure to compensate by eating less on other days. If I had to give up my favourite foods to stay thin, I would unquestionably choose fatness instead.

JMHO Freelance

LockItUp
05-14-2012, 02:51 PM
I didn't this time. I started on a Wednesday and decided that morning I had had enough of this misery!

I used to do that all the time though, and I'd eat so much I'd put on several pounds before I "started" on Monday, this is how I got to where I am. I'd end up gaining weight from my "diets" instead of losing because the diet would last a week, but the binge before the diet added a couple pounds.

I don't have foods I absolutely can't have, so I don't feel the need to have them one last time to say good bye or anything like that. In my experience having foods you are not allowed sets you up for failure (not ALL people most likely, but for me).

I had cake and pizza yesterday, but a very small portion, and the scale was DOWN this morning. You can still have your favorite foods, just not a metric ton of it. :)

caramelkitty
05-14-2012, 02:56 PM
I went out with a "Bang!" once, and then I relapsed because when I finally ate the foods I had "given up" I went crazy and didn't wanna look back lol. So now, what I do is eat what I want, eat what I crave, just with intense moderation. If I want a slice of cake, I'll have a tiny slice of cake, just make sure it's within my caloric limit of the day, and be satisfied with that slice, not NEED the whole cake. :lol:

But you know what, some things work differently for others. My friend did it that way, cold turkey. Ate all the stuff she wanted one last time, and she's been on plan, so whatever works for you! ;)

DaugT
05-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Like others have said, I have done that, several times!! Doing that several times means it didn't work any of the times. LOL AHH!!!

This time I didn't. I just told myself enough was enough, and got going.

But I have no notions that I won't ever eat any of my favorites again, and I actually have a built in day once a week that I eat whatever I have been craving throughout the week prior. It helps me not eat impulsively, since if I am craving something I sometimes have to wait 6 days until I actually have it. Some cravings go away, and others that I really just have to have those are the ones I have on my high-calorie day once a week.
And as time goes on I am craving less and less of my used to be favs, which is great!

krampus
05-14-2012, 02:57 PM
You can still eat food and candy "on a diet." The point is to train yourself to enjoy eating food that is good for you. Eventually you will get to a point where eating fried food and candy will send you into a wild craving for vegetables and Greek yogurt. It sounds ridiculous but it's true.

I spent all weekend eating chips and guacamole and ice cream and pizza, and now my body is screaming "FEED ME A SALAD" - so I packed a salad for lunch.

Melfuchsia
05-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Been there, done that!

I guess it's when you really start to focus on learning healthier habits rather than just losing weight that you realize that there are no "bad" or "good" foods per say. It's about habits more than the food itself... and having one last binge is soooooooo unhealthy.

Still working on that myself!

saef
05-14-2012, 05:09 PM
No, because I never consciously went on a diet.

This sounds like a mind game, doesn't it? Let me explain.

I just said, "I have a goal: Each week, I want to weigh a little less. I don't care by how much. The number just has to be lower." There was no goal weight by a particular date and I didn't care how much I lost each week. As long as it was lower, I was fine with it.

I eschewed all plans or "named" diets.

I made changes every few weeks. Walking on an errand or two led to going for short walks, which grew longer, which eventually led me inside a gym. Dropping sweetened yogurt for plain. Making sure that I cooked dinner for myself several nights a week, rather than getting takeout. Stuff like that. I did a lot of reading and got ideas from that to try things out.

So since there was never really a big transition, there was never any "going out with a bang."

I did it this very specifically unspecific way because I am old enough to know myself. I can be a perfectionist & I am often very driven on the job & in my personal life. To start off my weight loss, I tried to set the bar very low and to put very little pressure on myself. And it worked.

LeilaJey
05-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Anytime I tried to go out with a bang it never worked. I'd crave these things even more because I had decided I couldn't have them ever again. Now if I really crave something for a while I'll eat a bit of it. I still have to find a balance so that I don't binge but I can't cut anything out completely.

Elladorine
05-14-2012, 06:07 PM

If I could never have candy, snack foods, or dessert ever again, I think I'd be very sad. On the other hand, if I constantly indulge on all those things, I'd still end up very sad. Like you, I love food. But I don't want to love food so much that I let it eclipse being healthy.

The thing is that you can't focus on the negatives. You can't build a lifestyle around constantly reminding yourself that you can never have your favorite things because they're "bad." There are no bad foods, but it can be easy to overindulge on certain kinds. And I think that's why having a last hoorah is a setup for failure, because you're likely to feel bitter after it's all over and you've restricted yourself from ever having them again.

It's important to figure out meal planning and set priorities so that you can focus on having healthy foods while occasionally allowing yourself reasonably-portioned treats. You have to focus on the positive things that eating healthy will do for your mind and body if you want to make a true and positive lifestyle change. Focusing on the negative is poisonous for the soul; you won't be happy if you constantly feel deprived, no matter how much weight you lose, and you're likely to give up when the results aren't happening as quickly as you'd like.

Samantha18
05-14-2012, 08:41 PM
I've went out with a bang before every diet I've ever failed.

This time, I just woke-up one day and started counting calories, and it's the longest I've ever stuck to plan.

Depending on your plan, you should try working in whatever you like, in moderation. You can still have candy sometimes if it's within your calorie range.

pixelllate
05-14-2012, 09:26 PM
That never worked for me because it would set me in a panic-it made going into "diet mode" seem SO different from what I was currently doing (which is having a feast before a diet) that I would be afraid to actually change my eating ways. Also it would freak me out because I would think, why do I need to do this - like a "last meal"? Is it gonna be THAT bad that I need to do this?

Tai
05-14-2012, 09:33 PM
I didn't go out with a bang.

I just want to give you some encouragement that when you lose weight and maintain it doesn't mean you'll never eat candy or some of your other favorites again! You just might not eat them very often or in the same quantities.

KittyKatFan
05-15-2012, 12:35 AM
The Big Binge right before the diet? Oh yeah. Been there, done that...

mariposssa
05-15-2012, 02:16 AM
I have done the big binge blowout before the big day. More often I have done "carb loading" which is along the same lines...but, just getting my fill on crappy, sugary white carbs without necessarily binging. I allow myself to carb load within a calorie limit on Sundays.

MablesGirl
06-05-2012, 12:52 AM
The big last hurrah has been why I kept gaining weight in the past two years, I am sure.

gonnabfitmom
06-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Absolutely.

Unfortunately, this is how I gained like 100 lbs in a couple of years. Because every day would be a 'start tomorrow' day, and I (believing that 'tomorrow' it would all fall into place) would go out with a bang every day!

This go-round, I've given myself an 'off' day every week. This keeps me motivated ("I can't have this now, but if I can make it til the end of the week, I can have it then".) and stops me from binge eating because I feel like I'll never have it again.

Harpersi
06-05-2012, 01:33 AM
Absolutely.

Unfortunately, this is how I gained like 100 lbs in a couple of years. Because every day would be a 'start tomorrow' day, and I (believing that 'tomorrow' it would all fall into place) would go out with a bang every day!

exactly this!

redvelouria
06-05-2012, 01:43 AM
Nope. I decided I had to stop the obsession I had with food and having a binge "out with a bang" day before starting my diet was not the way to do that. Getting off to the right start emotionally and mentally was important to me.

Not saying that I don't crave cheese, salt, grease or sugar...I just don't have the mental fixation that I used to. Its not necessary anymore to have a piece of chocolate every day. Once a week? If the opportunity is right, like a special night out with my man :)

3CatsMeow
06-05-2012, 04:39 AM
I agree with all the posts above and the general agreement that its not a good idea. Having that kind of mentality will eventually result in weight gain rather than weight loss.

But this is part of the weight loss journey sometimes, you have to make the mistakes like this and see them going wrong to slowly realise real weight loss isn't about 'binging on my favourite foods cos I'm never gonna eat them again'. Weight loss is about slowly learning new and healthier habits, rather than binging then excessive restriction.

Good luck with your journey to being healthier and happier.

Vex
06-05-2012, 11:36 AM
I did actually. I probably would have not had the circumstances been different.

I was starting a biggest loser on Monday and had the biggest food fest the entire weekend before it. I was probably a good 5 lbs over what I really was just from water weight that Monday morning.

Good for contest - not good for me.