Atkins - May 2012 Atkins Newbies & Chat

View Full Version : May 2012 Atkins Newbies & Chat

A skinny girl in me
05-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Hey All,
I wanted to start this thread for all who are interested in general Atkins chat, friendly encouragement and those that are just joining Atkins and want to get to know eachother so that we have a unified place to find eachother.
I restarted Atkins 6 days ago. I have a story very similar to many of you I'm sure. This isn't my first diet. I have battled with my weight for most of my life but finally discovered the true secret for me several years ago... CARB CONTROL! THis is truly what makes the difference for me. I lost 68 lbs on Metabolic RC diet 3 years ago and had to quit before reaching goal weight because I found out I was pregnant. I have a sweet 22 mo girl now and need to get off the weight I gained with pregancy and the residual weight from before. MRC is so restrictive that I just couldn't imagine going back to that plan. I tried calorie counting for a while but couldn't lose any weight because my sugar cravings were just out of control. I realized that no plan but a low carb one would break that craving cycle and get the lbs off so I ofcourse thought of Atkins. I purchased the book (again - who knows whre the old copy is, moved twice since then) and started reading. I started the plan and have already lost 5 lbs... I AM Psyched!! Anyways, I want to lose 60 lbs, possibly 70, depends on how I feel when I get there. Either way, I haven't felt this confident about getting there in a long time and it sure does feel good to finally feel in control of my body and cravings!! Since hitting ketosis, I have stopped craving the sweets and carbs that were killing me and I am so thankful. ANyways, looking forward to a successfull journey... hope to hear from some of you and your journey along the way!!

Deadlydame13
05-11-2012, 11:47 PM
I've been trying to start Atkins but always give in by the 3rd day :( I don't know why...well maybe it's cause I feel so sick i give in and eat 2 bowls of cereal maybe you can help me i really would like to get on Atkins I read the book ...thank you for any advice :hug:

happyrunner
05-12-2012, 01:45 AM
The beginning is always the most difficult, your body is withdrawal mode. You need to hold on, it can only get better! :) Once you've passed this and your body finds an other source of energy i.e. your stored fat you'll be fine.... But you know all this if you've red the book. At this point you have to tell you it's a mind thing.

A skinny girl in me
05-12-2012, 02:25 PM
I've been trying to start Atkins but always give in by the 3rd day :( I don't know why...well maybe it's cause I feel so sick i give in and eat 2 bowls of cereal maybe you can help me i really would like to get on Atkins I read the book ...thank you for any advice :hug:

That's exactly what it feels like when your body runs out of glucose from carbs and needs to switch over to burning fat resulting in a state of ketosis. If you just drink a bunch of water that day, especially when that feeling hits, consume some extra ptotein with some fat, take two tylenol and head to bed early that night you will turn the corner by morning, i promise! Once you are in ketosis it all gets better and a miracle happens.... your cravings disappear snd you start dropping the lbs. Stick with it, its so worth it!!

happyrunner
05-12-2012, 03:20 PM
So I'm on!!! Started this morning so I said bye bye to all my carbs and sweets :'(....

I expect to be really tired for the next couple of days so I'll make sure I take as many nights I need!!! :^:

Can't wait to be in ketosis and start to see the pounds melt away ;)

@DeadlyDame: how are you so far? Hope you were able to hold on...:^:

happyrunner
05-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Are you taking your supplements? That's one thing I have to make sure I take, last time I didn't at the beginning and paid for it BIG TIME!!!

I'm taking:
B Complex
Full Spectrum Minerals
Vitamin C
Cod Liver Oil
Have L-Glutamine in case

Need to get:
Chromium picolinate
Primrose or borage oil

Will not take a form a fiber because I never do well on it, I have a smooth move tea that I will take if necessary, but for me, at the beginning anyway, if my water consumption is good I don't seem to have constipation issues...

What about you girls what are you taking?

happyrunner
05-12-2012, 03:30 PM
@Skinny Girl in Me; good job in starting this thread it's really a great idea!!! How are you doing on day 1?

dandk0204
05-12-2012, 04:09 PM
I just started today. Not quite sure what I'm doing but I'm learning. I have around 120 pounds to loose. I've been sticking to low-calorie type diets since the beginning, so this one is way out of my comfort zone. I absolutely love my carbs, sweets, and fruits, they will be sadly missed! The only thing I am really worried about is getting in all the calories.

Happyrunner - so far all I'm taking is my daily mutivitamin and fish oil.

happyrunner
05-12-2012, 06:24 PM
I just started today. Not quite sure what I'm doing but I'm learning. I have around 120 pounds to loose. I've been sticking to low-calorie type diets since the beginning, so this one is way out of my comfort zone. I absolutely love my carbs, sweets, and fruits, they will be sadly missed! The only thing I am really worried about is getting in all the calories.

Happyrunner - so far all I'm taking is my daily mutivitamin and fish oil.

Dandk0204, do you have the book? You can find most of what you need online but I thought it was a great thing to read the book and really understand the whole process, unless you're already familiar with the diet.

dandk0204
05-12-2012, 09:11 PM
happyrunner - I have the book, I am reading through it right now and learning a lot from it.

Day 1 is almost over and I think I did great. On to Day 2.

Deadlydame13
05-13-2012, 03:24 AM
Thank u all! I jumped my start day to Monday due to mothers day :) I will enjoy going out to dinner just not over do it ...but Monday get ready here I come!!!!! Once again Ty for the advice!

happyrunner
05-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Welcome on board DeadlyDame!!

happyrunner
05-14-2012, 07:35 AM
So I tested negative for ketones this morning... I know it's a bit early but I was wondering. So I'm gonna try to empty the stored sugar in my muscle by going for a run tonight....if I'm not too tired.

lose30
05-14-2012, 12:41 PM
I started Atkins 10 days ago and I'm loving it so far. I just don't get hungry on it. I've lost 3.8 pounds in my first week of Induction. I may stay in the Induction phase until I lose 10 pounds - just to give me a jump start.

I cooked Mother's Day Dinner yesterday and adjusted the recipe for me. It was cheesy chicken rollups. I could have everything except the crescent roll part. So I took the other ingredients and put into some ramekins and cooked it along with the family casserole. I was able to eat along side them with that and fresh green beans. They had apple dumplings for dessert and I had an Atkins candy bar.

I was tempted some but not hungry. I think I can kick the bread/pastry addiction but I am really missing fresh fruit. But I will be able to able that back in a few weeks.

It's my lunch break now and I'm going to search for some good Atkin recipes so I won't get bored. You can only eat so many eggs and cheese, right?

Good luck to everyone. Come back and post your successes and tipes and your trials for all of us to share.

dandk0204
05-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Today is Day 3 for me and I am loving it. I've lost 7lbs already but I do have ALOT to lose to I'm going to chalk it up to that. I was worried it would be too hard but I've adjusted alot. I just keep thinking why haven't I done this before.

I need advice on how to get my calories up. Right now I can't seem to eat more than 1000 without going over my 20 net carbs.

Deadlydame13
05-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Today is my day one so far so good!

happyrunner
05-14-2012, 08:14 PM
@Dandk0204 congrats on your 7lb loss!!! :carrot: That's great! Can't wait to weigh myself on Saturday!! To boost your cal and keep you carbs down you need to add more fat: mayo is always good!! I'm not really counting my cals for the moment, I'm going with the food list in the book and make sure I don't eat too much of what is allowed. I don't really want to think about cals at the moment it can be so overwhelming...:^:

@Deadlydame: the first step is the hardest on, soon you'll be at day 257!! ;)

@Lose30: welcome and congrats on your weight loss. About the cheese and eggs...It's day 3 and I'm already getting fed up :dizzy:

I have 'traces' of ketones!!!! YEAH!!! Let's get rid of that fat once and for all!!! :devil:

lilywinsit
05-15-2012, 01:56 AM
Hello to everyone!

Jumping in again to the Atkins way of living... went to second hand book store and bought another book so I can refresh my mind to everything. Just finished 6 weeks of de-tox and cleanses, very restricted foods allowed, been in Ketosis too, and monitored by Naturopath Doctor... lost 29 pounds! Now I am doing Atkins style eating and checking for food allergies, for the next 5 weeks as food families are added back. And my body learns to maintain at this weight and accepts that this is the "new normal" weight.

The biggest bonus from all this is that I am off Insulin now. From 80 units a night to nothing...WOW!!! Still taking the Metformin pills a.m. and p.m. but believing that as my weight goes down so will my need for the meds. Monitoring my sugars 6-8 times a day right now and they are good.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

BerkshireGrl
05-15-2012, 07:16 PM
The biggest bonus from all this is that I am off Insulin now. From 80 units a night to nothing...WOW!!! Still taking the Metformin pills a.m. and p.m. but believing that as my weight goes down so will my need for the meds. Monitoring my sugars 6-8 times a day right now and they are good.

Lilywinsit, I just wanted to say :bravo: :cb: :cp: AWESOME JOB!!! That is great news!

kurbain
05-15-2012, 11:17 PM
I started Atkins on April 30th. I've lost about 6 lbs so far. About 3 lbs a week, and I can't really complain about that. The first 2 weeks were hard. Really hard. I tried to stay in the 20 net carb range, but sometimes wandered closer to 30. This week so far I've been doing much better, so hopefully I'll lose more. I plan on staying with induction until the end of May. I'm not really missing the food I can't eat, and I'm doing well, so I'm afraid to change anything. I had a double foot surgery in March, so I'm not back up to exercising yet. I think once I can run again (hopefully June 15th), I'll add in the Phase 2 food because I'll need more calories. At the end of the month, the hubby and I are going on our first trip by ourselves since our oldest was born (she's 6). We'll only be gone 3 days, so I'm not worried about binging. I'm pretty sure my stomach capacity has shrunk, anyway! I've never done Atkins before now, and I was really afraid of how restrictive it is, especially during induction. But it's not so bad! Good luck to everyone!

happyrunner
05-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Hey there, I'm still on. Not too difficult but just need to create new recipes. Getting bored a little bit... Still testing ''traces'' on my ketostix, a bit disappointed, was wishing for at least ''moderate'' at this time but I'll do with traces for now.

Will start adding exercises this weekend in the hopes to accelerate my weight loss.

Short on time tonight, will chat tomorrow!

Ramra
05-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Yeah, the meal options can be a little boring. Last night I had tacos, shelled in a bell pepper that I cut in half. Pretty delish!

I've really wanted to try making flaxmeal muffins. I happen to love muffins more than cupcakes, cookies, and cake, so I'm really counting on this recipe. Next week I'm going to try baking them for the 1st time. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Kurbain: I started induction 1 day after you. :D Way to go on the loss! I haven't lost any yet (darn stubborn tummy!). But I'm hanging on. My family has collectively lost 300 pounds on it so far, I can't lose faith now.

happyrunner
05-18-2012, 12:23 PM
So finally got to exercise a bit this morning! Good for me, only for 25min (run/walk).

Will try to go for another walk this afternoon....

dandk0204
05-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Happyrunner - that's great that you got a workout in.

I'm still on plan, tomorrow makes a week and I have to say that it is easier than I first thought. I agree with most of you about the food getting boring. I need to look for some recipes to try when I have time. Weight loss is awesome, weigh in is tomorow. I'm looking foward to it.

ayesbiggerthanbelly
05-19-2012, 05:29 AM
Kurbain - Great weight loss :)

I've just finished week 1 of induction and lost 4.2lbs :) My colleagues said I've turned into a viking though what with all the meat snacks and meat breakfast :p

dandk0204
05-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Ayesbiggerthanbelly - congrats on your loss!

Week 1 weigh in today for me and I lost a whopping 14lbs. Soo happy and ready to take on week 2.

happyrunner
05-19-2012, 04:08 PM
@Dandk0204: 7lbs WOWOWOW :carrot::carrot: That's great!

I didn't weight myself because I don't really feel like I've lost weight and I don't want to get discourage... So I'll give myself another week. I figure that it's just a number anyway, sure I would love to see an nice number but I'm afraid I'll get obsess with the scale. Every two week should be fine... I hope :^:

I'm not counting my carbs, I just follow the book. I didn't see any purple on my ketostix, that is sad but at least there's still traces of ketones!

Went out for a jog/walk again this morning!!! It's much more difficult when you're pushing a stroller (had to go with my boy). Working my arms and shoulders as I'm jogging that's GREAT!!!

Hope everybody is doing well!

kurbain
05-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Ramra - Good job to your family! That's a lot of weight! Like losing 2 smallish people...or a few toddlers. Lol.

I haven't really weighed myself since Wednesday, and I was down to 205.6. Hopefully when I weigh in on Monday, I'll be down another couple of pounds! I don't have a scale at home, so I have to do it on days when I go to the gym.

I just ordered some Ketostix. Are those really helpful to people? Does anyone really notice more weight loss when it says the Ketones are high?

Happyrunner: I'm with you on not being too obsessed with the weight loss thing. I used to be super obsessed and weigh myself everyday. It could be really discouraging. I think once a week is best. But I've been taking measurements this time, which I haven't done in the past. I measure my neck, waist and hips (more near my belly button than actually the hip area) every week and have been a lot more satisfied with those numbers going down rather than the scale moving!

Ramra
05-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Ramra - Good job to your family! That's a lot of weight! Like losing 2 smallish people...or a few toddlers. Lol.

I just ordered some Ketostix. Are those really helpful to people? Does anyone really notice more weight loss when it says the Ketones are high

Thank you!

Ketostix are great for motivation, but I don't count on them to show me a direct link to how much I'm losing exactly, since there are so many factors that play into it (such as water, sodium, hormones). But at times when I'm not losing, they're a great motivator to screw what the scale says and keep going. I find that when I'm losing weight, it doesn't always register on the scale right away. The body needs time to make it's adjustments. :)

lilywinsit
05-19-2012, 08:15 PM
I found that the Ketostix help me to know if I am burning my stored fat... even if it reads very light in colour, because of the amount of water that I drink. It makes me happy!

Ramra
05-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Who knew peeing could be so fun? :D

kurbain
05-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Ha. Thanks! If it's motivating, then I'm all for it! Usually I cave in to food after a week or 2, but I've been going strong since I started on April 30! By now, we usually would have had 2 or 3 pizza nights and a Sonic night, but not this time! I did have a piece of cornbread the other day because I had to go to a luncheon with work and it came with the meal. Couldn't resist!

happyrunner
05-21-2012, 10:16 AM
I couldn't hold it and weight myself (again) today...since there were no change (0.3lb) between my weigh-in Wed and Sun; I hoped to see a little more change this time...and I did!!! I'm at 197.4lb so 4.6lb lost :carrot:

I'm not greedy anymore (not now at least :^:) I'll cherish the small numbers because it's an improvement from where I started! :cool: No more 200's!!!

I'm a bit perplexed, how come I'm still on 'traces' only on my ketostix??? What am I doing wrong? Or is it my water intake that's throwing my tests off?? I would love to see some darker pinkish color for once :(

BerkshireGrl
05-21-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm a bit perplexed, how come I'm still on 'traces' only on my ketostix??? What am I doing wrong? Or is it my water intake that's throwing my tests off?? I would love to see some darker pinkish color for once :(

happyrunner, congrats on your 4.6 pound loss! :) I wouldn't be too concerned with the Ketostix colors. Check out this link, "Whether Your Ketostix Show Light Pink, Purple Or Beige, It Has No Bearing On Your Low-Carb Diet" (http://www.carbwire.com/2008/07/26/whether_your_ketostix_show_light_pink_purple_or_be ige_it_has_no_bearing_on_your_lowcarb_diet).

kurbain
05-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Still waiting on my Ketostix to arrive, but I'm still motivated for now. After 3 weeks of doing basically induction, I've lost 9.6 lbs. Yay! Only 2.5 lbs to go until I'm back under 200. At this rate, I should be at least that in a week. Atkins is working as long as I can stick with it!!

happyrunner
05-21-2012, 09:36 PM
happyrunner, congrats on your 4.6 pound loss! :) I wouldn't be too concerned with the Ketostix colors. Check out this link, "Whether Your Ketostix Show Light Pink, Purple Or Beige, It Has No Bearing On Your Low-Carb Diet" (http://www.carbwire.com/2008/07/26/whether_your_ketostix_show_light_pink_purple_or_be ige_it_has_no_bearing_on_your_lowcarb_diet).

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH BerkshireGrl :hug:, I really needed to see this article. I can finally put to rest my obsession with ''purple'' :D I'm in ketosis and that's all that matter!!!!

Deadlydame13
05-22-2012, 02:25 AM
Hi lovely gals!!!!! Well all is good !! I won't weigh myself till the end of the month..how r u guys holding up ?

A skinny girl in me
05-22-2012, 04:34 PM
@Skinny Girl in Me; good job in starting this thread it's really a great idea!!! How are you doing on day 1?

Hey Happy Runner,
Did great day 1, day 3 was the hardest, like hitting a brick wall but took my own advice and drank my water, took some tylenol and took to bed and felt great the next day. What a blessing to be past that point and no longer battling my sugar cravings! That has been my struggle for years so I am thankful to have found Atkins. Just recently re-read his book and realized alot of things I could be doing better - taking supplements for one. I hate to do this but after reading that chromium is vital for metabolism and if you are low on chromium your metabalolism doesnt' work to its fullest, well now I've changed my mind. I will be starting this and a MV right away. Anyways, glad to see you here and looking forward to successful weight loss with everyone here!

happyrunner
05-22-2012, 06:04 PM
@SkinnyGirlinMe: congrats on beating the sugar cravings, but watch out they will try again to get you!!! After a week and 3 days, I still have some ''wants'' not cravings...as if evil sugar was testing me :devil: ....don't know if you get me??!!

Supplements are a most. I make sure to take them everyday this time and I can already see a difference; no cramps in my legs!!!

Can't wait to be at this for 2 months to see where I'll be then....Never lasted that long on any program!!!

kurbain
05-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Happyrunner - I agree...after a while, the "wants" definitely come and go! I'm in my 4th week and I could definitely go for some serious sugar!! But I know I don't need it and that I'll feel like crap if I eat junk.

What supplements do people generally take? I haven't read the book. I guess I should, even though I'm doing fine for now. Multi-vitamins make me really sick, so I can't really take them. What individual things are really important? Chromium, from A Skinny Girl In Me's post. Any others?

lilywinsit
05-23-2012, 03:32 AM
Today I really wanted some fish and chips... oops, thats not on my food plan! Oh well!! Loosing weight is far more important right now!

Since starting my detox and cleanse 2.5 months ago and moving into Atkins 3 weeks ago, I have been taking B 12; Vitamin D, "Greens" drink! Plus my regular Meds.

happyrunner
05-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Still going strong on Atkins and just jogged 12min NON STOP!!! I'm so proud of myself... 5k HERE I COME!!! :)

offkilter
05-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Hello everyone. I'm new here. Just started Atkins yesterday. I'm doing a lenient Induction phase since I'm already in ketosis from doing Ideal Protein for the last 2 months (lost 24lbs, yay!). Switched to Atkins so I could enjoy a larger variety of foods. I'm feeling so spoiled! Tuna with some mayo in it! Sausage! Cheese! Even in the small amounts, I'm just reveling in the flavors. I'm hoping I get the hang of it and keep losing so I don't have to go back to IP (which seems to work better for my husband than for me).

Meanwhile, anyone have a brand of multi-vitamin w/o iron they'd recommend? I can only find ones with iron added. So I'm stumped.

A skinny girl in me
05-24-2012, 02:25 PM
I couldn't hold it and weight myself (again) today...since there were no change (0.3lb) between my weigh-in Wed and Sun; I hoped to see a little more change this time...and I did!!! I'm at 197.4lb so 4.6lb lost :carrot:

I'm not greedy anymore (not now at least :^:) I'll cherish the small numbers because it's an improvement from where I started! :cool: No more 200's!!!

Congrats on making it to "One"derland happyrunner! I can't wait to be there myself.... only 16 more lbs to go and I will be there with you :0) As for the ketostix, I wound suggest counting your carbs very carefully, make sure your at 20 or less, I aim for 18-20, I also make sure I am consuming no more than 4 oz of cheese and if you use splenda/sweet 'n low, crystal light - remember - those count as carbs too... I've noticed on the days I exercise more or if I eat alot of protein but fewer vegetables, I can range from moderate to large amount of ketones on ketostix. Either way though, I've noticed a drop in lbs even with trace/small ketones so I think as long as you are staying in ketosis, you should continue to lose. I have a great carb counter app on my smart phone called carb master - download if you can, it's a lifesaver!!! Keep up the great work :0)

ghost
05-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Hi all, jumping in to join the party (before June hits and its over, lol). I've been LC-ing following Atkins induction for 9 days now and I'm down 9 lbs. I know a ton of that was water weight because my fingers have finally deflated after not being able to wear my rings for 8 months.

Thanks for posting that link regarding the ketostix. I have been on keto since about day three but the last few days they stopped registering anything above trace. My breath however...tells a different story then those dang stix ;)

Good luck ya'll! So happy I found this thread!

kurbain
05-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Finally got my Ketostix and registered at Moderate. Yay! Guess I'm doing this Atkins thing right after all! I've also crossed the 10 lbs lost mark. Another yay! I started 30 April, so 3.5 weeks and I've lost about 10.6 lbs. I'm afraid to stop doing induction. Has anyone left induction? If so, how much have you been losing a week?

Ramra
05-25-2012, 05:32 AM
Way to go! I've never left induction while committed to Atkins, so I couldn't tell you. But my sister probably eats about 30 carbs give or take, and has continued to rapidly lose weight. :)

I cheated on Wednesday! I must have had about 60 carbs, because my roommate (who's also my ex) convinced me to try one 'Crispy Mini' and I couldn't stop! So yesterday I went grocery shopping and bought pork rhinds for the next time I encounter a situation like that. I also bought low-carb cake ingredients, and have been eating cake since 4am! :dizzy:
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/glazed_mw_poundcake.html
I made it with flax meal instead of almond powder, and it's pretty tasty and so hopefully my sister will like it on her birthday tomorrow. Next: Hamburger buns, so she can have an actual hamburger!

kurbain
05-25-2012, 07:30 PM
I think I'll probably just stick pretty much with induction. I'm not ever hungry, but I could go for some blueberries or something. So the ketostix were motivating last night when they registered at a moderate. Then this morning and again this evening I'm getting negative. I haven't changed my eating at all. Is this normal??

sizzlingina
05-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Ketostix are weird for me too. It seems the more water I drink the darker it registers. Are you drinking plenty of water?

Ramra
05-25-2012, 09:09 PM
In the morning I only have trace ketones, because I've been laying still all night. I notice another dip in the evening as well, because the day is ending and I begin to wind down and relax. I also eat a little more in the evening than the rest of the day. So it's totally normal! And like the user above posted, water inake can have an impact on your result. Personally, the more water I drink the lighter my result.

So the scale still hasn't budged very much over here! It's a bummer. But I'm late for my period and could be retaining water, in which case I might get a whoosh when it finally does come. :)

kurbain
05-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Good to hear that the Ketostix can be weird. I drink water all day long most days. I won't worry too much about it since I'm losing 3ish lbs a week pretty steadily. What do you all think is the best time to check it?

Ramra - I'll cross my fingers for you for your whoosh!

ayesbiggerthanbelly
05-26-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm not sure if we can get ketostix readily in the UK, but seem to be doing OK without them.

Induction 2 weeks ends today, got 21lbs to lose and have lost 5 - seems my metabolic resistance is around about average, which is reassuring! A week left until a week's holiday in Sicily...ah, pasta... :devil:

kurbain
05-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Have a great trip, ayesbiggerthanbelly! I took a trip out to Italy with my mom almost 10 years ago. Didn't go to Sicily, but went to Rome and Venice and some other parts up by the Italian Lakes. Best food I've ever had!! Definitely not Atkins friendly. Lol.

I'm going to Detroit next weekend. Not exactly the best vacation, but first trip ever with the hubby without the kids!

ghost
05-26-2012, 05:17 PM
I lost another lbs yesterday!so rocking this induction! I may just never leave it. In two weeks I've gone from 250 to 238.4! Loose pants, clear skin, loads of energy....lovin' it!

With ketostix I don't register in the morning probably because my body is processing all the ketones for energy. It's not till around dinner time that I start to register moderate.

kurbain
05-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Congrats on your loss! I didn't lose nearly that in the first 2 weeks. I think it was about 6 lbs. But I've lost about 3 lbs every week. I don't mind if I can keep up that pace!

Maybe I'll just wait until later in the day to be checking it, then. Thanks!

everdeen
05-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Ramra. I'm totally with you today on cheating. I didn't actually eat any sugar or bready stuff but I ate more meat than I should have. I was going really well until about an hour or two after lunch and I started getting cravings like mad. I ate some pork rinds, some fake-sugar gelatin, burger meat with a blob of sour cream and stuff like that. I spent all day out and about so I am aching and sore from all the activity. I think that's why I went a bit crazy -- I was burning a lot of calories going form place to place and out in the sun etc. I am feeling kinda bad about it now but I know I can get back on track. I'm just bummed and feel like I failed.

Ramra
05-27-2012, 08:32 AM
everdeen: Way to go on the 4lb loss already! I know it's hard to feel like a winner when it seems like you're eating more than you should, but it's great that you're eating when you're hungry, especially when you've been running around all day! As long as your carbs are in check you'll continue to do awesome. I keep creeping up to 25-30 carbs each day when it's my intention to continue induction, so this morning I'm starting fresh and beginning induction again.

ghost:I just noticed your post, almost 12 lbs lost on induction?! Holy smokes! :cp:

everdeen
05-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Today is Day 6 and I am so fatigued and exhausted; I have no energy. Three things:

1) I'm still coming off Zoloft and I am down to 25 mgs every few days. I get some withdrawal symptoms like "dizzy jolts" when I go too long without it. I took one today as I haven't had it in a few days. Ugh.

2) Yesterday was exceptionally busy: we were out at WalMart at about 9 am, then I took my daughter to an indoor play place for 2 hours, then came back and got hubby and we all went out to a store grand opening where they had tents set up in the parking lot with a clown making balloon animals, a food truck, face painting etc. We spent a good hour there in the hot sun standing and walking around. When we got home my feet were aching bad and I was already depleted but I took a shower and after that we took a walk around the block to see my sister in law for a bit. I noticed on that walk how I was trailing behind my husband and daughter and it's usually the other way around. Last night I got ok sleep but not the best and woke up at about 4:30, then went back to sleep and got up at 5:30 and again went back to sleep etc. I also had a Charley Horse last night which I somehow caught in my sleep (push heels down and that usually cuts it off) so it didn't really hurt but it's been AGES (read many years) since I've had any leg cramps.

3) I am not eating enough veggies by any means or getting enough water. I have been eating a lot of meat with sour cream, butter, eggs, and cheese with a small (like a side) salad here and there. I am having trouble measuring salad for one. I just bought some broccoli and brussels sprouts and had those yesterday and the day before (one serving each, about). I know I'm not getting 12-15 carbs from veggies. I'm just having trouble gauging everything.

I keep yawning and it's a chore to get up and move at all. I am also a touch more out of breath when I have to walk a lot (like we went to Wal Mart again today to return something and I was just dragging myself around.) I should have my iron checked because I usually am borderline anemic but i thought with all the meats I've been having that iron shouldn't be an issue.

Any thoughts on all this? I didn't want to consume the salt that's recommended to avoid Atkins "flu" because I'm on blood pressure meds. *sigh*

The scale also said I gained a little weight back (probably due to my craziness yesterday with eating way too much stuff and not enough of the right stuff.)

BTW, is it ok for me to eat a bigger salad if I keep the dressing to the same amount? (I usually use 1 tablespoon of dressing and it's usually either 1 or 2 carbs depending on which one I want) Right now I'm eating a salad that's about 2 -3 times bigger than what I'd normally eat just to get more veg in me. This morning I had a sausage (a fat one) and a blob of sour cream for breakfast so this is lunch, I guess. (Should I have a hard boiled egg with it or just add more veggies to it or some olives and artichoke hearts etc.?)

Also, chicken broth -- good for the fatigue?

Ramra
05-27-2012, 10:34 AM
I hate measuring vegetables, but these are really easy to remember:

Romaine lettuce hearts: 6 leaves = 2 carbs
Celery: 2 medium stalks = 3 carbs
Cabbage: 1 cup chopped = 3 carbs
Large bell pepper: cut in 1/2 = 3 carbs

My blood pressure dropped quickly when I originally started Atkins. You should get it checked today and then decide if you can afford to add salt to your diet.

As for the weight gain, it's probably water retention in your muscles from all the aches and pains of yesterday. :)

kurbain
05-27-2012, 10:41 AM
everdeen - If you can make it through a couple of days eating induction approved foods, you'll get your energy back! I wasn't very motivated my first week/part of 2nd week because I was tired and hungry all the time. Well not hungry exactly - I just wanted junk food. But by the end of the 2nd week I was feeling great! Zoloft is a bummer. I used to be on all kinds of meds like that and I think they did more harm than good! Just keep it up and you'll be feeling great (and losing weight) in no time!

everdeen
05-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Yesterday I drank some chicken broth and after a couple of hours I was good as new. All the fatigue was gone. I'm a little slumpy today but I've been up since 6:30 and running back and forth all over the place shopping and stuff. I ate 6 oz of broccoli with a couple of sprinkles of parmesean cheese and butter for breakfast and I had some steak for lunch (I will make a salad to go with it but I was so hungry that I scarfed it down pretty quick! So nice to get to eat the fat and not worry about it!)

Are single serve packets of drink mixes allowed if they're made with Splenda?

At the store today I saw bags of sugar free candy and stuff which was made with malitol and other sugar alcohols. Are those a no-no? (Can you eat something like that in OWL or do you have to wait longer?)

Thanks all!!

kurbain
05-28-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't know about the sugar free candy. I know you're not supposed to have more than a certain amount of sugar alcohols a day. I think no more than 12 - someone correct me if I'm wrong!.

For the drink mixes...anything like Crystal Light or a packet of Splenda in coffee, you calculate it as 1 net carb each. I used to put 2 packets of Splenda in my morning tea/coffee but I've cut it down to 1 so I can use the extra carb later in the day!

BerkshireGrl
05-28-2012, 02:48 PM
everdeen, personally, I would stay away from both Splenda and sugar alcohols. Others may not have issues with them, but I've read that some people react to them as if they ate real sugar.

I have also been told recently by a nurse that Splenda builds up in the liver and increases overall body inflammation (after I developed arthritis symptoms while drinking Splenda in coffee over a few weeks.)

Her advice was to avoid artificial sweeteners, but if you really feel you need them, that this is the order she preferred used, from best to worst:

* Stevia (natural plant)
* Sweet'N Low (saccharin)
* Equal (aspartame)
* Splenda (sucralose)

I've stopped using Splenda in coffee and drinking diet soda, and I stick to plain chilled homemade teas, water, and coffee with just cream. It's an adjustment, but the pain in my hands is gone! :D

Ramra
05-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Oh wow, I never knew that artificial sweeteners could contribute to inflammation. I've had an awful pain in my left knee since puberty (it's genetic). Every now and then it really aches and I walk with a slight limp. I'm going to be more aware of my sweetener intake and see if there's a connection.

kurbain
05-28-2012, 06:36 PM
I have one, maybe 2 cups of coffee or tea a day. And I always throw a Splenda in there. I've never had a problem. I can't take the taste of Equal or Sweet N Low. Not sure about Stevia. Is that Truvia? I got a sample of that and it didn't even taste like anything.

lilywinsit
05-28-2012, 08:04 PM
I've been using Stevia for about 3 months now and find it very satisfactory in my hot and cold drinks, it comes in drops as well and last week I picked up at the health store a bottle of flavoured Stevia drops "English Toffee" just put a few drops in a glass of iced water and presto you have a flavoured drink. Tastes wonderful and smells great!

BerkshireGrl
05-28-2012, 08:38 PM
kurbain, Truvia is sort of Stevia ;) Its 1st ingredient is erythritol, a sugar alcohol, then stevia leaf extract and natural flavors.

Personally, I prefer PureVia for its taste. It has a different formulation of Reb A (sweetest part of stevia extracted), then erythritol, isomaltulose, cellulose powder (bulking agent), and natural flavors.

But I have dropped PureVia too for its sugar alcohols. I have found a way to "cold brew" coffee that results in such a smooth taste that with just cream, it's plenty sweet. (I can post the link for the cold-brewing if anyone is interested.)

The nurse did say her info on Splenda's inflammatory effects was based on studies just coming out. I'm going to ask her for her sources when I next see her on June 17th.

Not everyone will be affected... but I was. Admittedly, I was drinking coffee with 2 packets a day in it, 5x/week, for I think 3 weeks. So 30 packets made my hands really ache. That's me though, might not be you!

If you love the taste of Splenda and don't have any negative effects, feel free to disregard this info. It's more of a community notice on my part :)

ghost
05-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Splenda is the thing of my nightmares. Migraine-inducing. I just steer clear of it. I have some stevia drops and truvia.

So, how did everybody fare for the memorial day holiday? I didn't eat off plan, but I definitely at too much. Ugh.

Slimmer Down Now
05-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Hey all! I'm new.. started induction today! I lost 50 lbs on atkins about 7 yrs ago, but it's all back (plus double)... so I'm committed to changing my lifestyle and realizing that my body doesn't have a very good relationship. It's tough, I'm a pescatarian (the only "meat" i eat is seafood), but I did it before.. .and will do it now and stick with it forever... I don't have a choice! I've tried calorie counting and weight watchers, but Atkins is easier and makes more sense to me (I'm reading back up on it.. got a great book that breaks it all down, including the physiology, history, and research). For years, I"ve eaten "healthy" whole grains.. (Brown rice, whole wheat breads and pastas) and now I realize that this is my true enemy... carbs.

So I'm happy to meet others on my journey! I'm ready for health.

BerkshireGrl
05-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Slimmer Down Now, :welcome3:!

I'm not a big "meat" eater either; I was a vegetarian for 5 years and it really affected how I feel about preparing meat from scratch. I'm a wuss, what can I say? :lol:

I know I definitely feel much, much better off grains, and I'm really not having a hard time sticking to this. I went off plan slightly for a bowl of wonton soup, and for some sushi with rice, but that's it. I used to easily devour an entire large pizza, so this is serious progress for me.

Your seafood focus sounds delicious! Happy losing! :D

ultrapeaches
05-31-2012, 01:25 AM
Hi! Another newbie. I've been induction-ing for about 2 months now. It's so effective, I can't stop! I'm afraid if I increase my carbs, I'll stop losing.

I feel so much healthier without the grains, I don't think I'll ever go back to eating them.

kurbain
05-31-2012, 07:56 AM
Maybe I'll give Truvia/Stevia another try. Does it taste much different than Splenda?

I've tried the vegetarian thing at times, but sometimes I just have to have some meat! I actually did full on vegan eating for a bit when I was about 16. My friend and I were just trying to see how hard it was. She lasted about a week, but I did about 6 months.

Slimmer Down Now - I love seafood...sometimes. I don't really eat chicken and I try to limit my beef and other fattier meats, so I eat a lot of shrimp and tilapia. I grill pan the tilapia and it's so good!!

ultrapeaches - I'm kind of in the same boat...so afraid to move on and add in more carbs! I've been doing induction since 30 April.

lillypad
05-31-2012, 12:53 PM
Hi all, this is day one for me on Atkins (second attempt) I already feel horrible, my body is so use to the sugar and carbs. The worst is getting over caffeine but I know I will feel much better once it's all out of my system. Just have to deal with headache for next couple days!

Brooklynn
05-31-2012, 03:26 PM
Hi ladies. I thought I would just join in with out reading as there is so much. My name is Brook I have been around here for a long time in and out the past few years struggling with some other things other than weight. I got those under control and now its time for the weight to be in control too. I have been on my 3rd attempt (first one was very successful) of Atkins (semi modified) since the 21st of may. I have lost 10lbs thus far. Part of that was from me also being deathly (dramatic I know) ill with either food poisoning or the stomach flu but now that I am back on the mend I actually kept 3 of the 5lbs I lost during that off. I got that at the same time I was going through the "atkins flu" portion which didnt hit me the last two tries but sure did this time. So if I can make it through it I know you all can. I lost a lot of weight in a pretty short amount of time the first time I did this. Not saying that thats the way it will happen again or for everyone but I know there is truth in atkins and if you follow the steps to life time maintenance it will work! Good luck!

BerkshireGrl
05-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Maybe I'll give Truvia/Stevia another try. Does it taste much different than Splenda?

kurbain, I personally prefered Stevia (PureVia in packet form for me) over Splenda, but that's me. The difference in taste is hard to describe. Splenda to me has a weird chemical aftertaste after an initial burst of super sweet. Stevia is just a bit odd all the way through :lol:

6 months as a vegan!? Whoa! I only made it about a week, ha! :) Eating dairy and eggs made vegetarianism pretty easy for me though. But my cholesterol never really dropped ;) My mom used to call me a cheeseatarian :cheese: NOM.

I have to learn more seafood recipes! :chef:

Slimmer Down Now
05-31-2012, 09:14 PM
Kurbain - it seems like EVERYTHING is better on the grill, doesn't it??! :)

Berkshire, thanks for the welcome! I'm a cheesenivore too!! I need to watch it with the cheese for sure. I'll have to share some fish/shrimp recipes on here eventually.

I've been a pescatarian for 20 years... but sometimes i think i would lose weight so much easier if I ate meat (as weird as that may sound) but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Well day 2 went well, no big problems.. on to tomorrow!

everdeen
05-31-2012, 09:48 PM
The past few days I have been losing ounces at a time instead of lbs and I think it's partly due to the artificial sweeteners. I try not to use them too often but the other day my stomach acid was kicking up and hurting my throat so I ate some Dr Oetker's mousse (made with unsweetened soy milk fwiw) a couple of times as I couldn't tolerate any big chunks of food and wasn't sure what other soft squishy thing I could have in a pinch. Thought about putting meat in a blender but um, NO. hahahah

I didn't eat enough today, I just know it. I had 2 eggs for breakfast, a few slices of thinly sliced small packaged ham for lunch, and 2 chicken wraps from Mc D's only with the tortilla removed (grilled chicken of course) for dinner. It wasn't on purpose or anything, my esophagus is just sore and giving me pain so I was scared to eat.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Welcome to the new folks!! I'm pretty new too, I've been here about a week or so now. LOTS of info here, great place.:carrot:

ultrapeaches
05-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Today was the final weigh in of our family "biggest loser" club. We started on Jan 5th, and I won! I even beat my husband by 1 pound! I have $500 in prize money coming to me, and my first purchase is going to be a custom one piece bathing suit that is long enough for my torso. If you know 5+ other people who want to lose weight, a competition with an entry fee is a great motivator.

Slimmer Down Now
06-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Way to go peaches!!!!

ghost
06-04-2012, 01:32 PM
I've been stalled out for a week now. BOOO!!! I know...its week three of induction level carbs and apparantly its perfectly normal to stall and see small gains. Its just frusterating. Especially when I'm on plan and I've skipped three occasions for cake now. FREE CAKE! And I've had none.

Slimmer Down Now
06-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Do you feel a difference in your clothes or see a difference in your face or anything like that? The scale can be such a bad tool sometimes because it's NOT always a reflection of your efforts... we always weigh ourselves too much

Brooklynn
06-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Two truths I came to discover today tuna salad is my go to food when I am broke and dont have any groceries to low carb with lol and I am sick to death of the lees chicken add that is on the side of this page!! :) Hope you all are doing well!

happyrunner
06-05-2012, 09:43 AM
FINALLY lost 10lbs!!!! I couldn't pass 193 for a week!!! SO happy! Let's go for another 10lb!!!

everdeen
06-05-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm still here, just got a little sidetracked there. It's that TOM right now so I'm hoping to get rid of excess water weight. So far I have only lost a few oz the past few days but for two days I had NO VEGGIES (supply was out) and we had to do some shopping. I'm stocked up now but getting bored with my recipes so I need something new to do with my food.

In good news, I lost 1.5 inches from my waist since I started Atkins so that makes me very happy:)

Quote from happyrunner: "** I can now non-stop for: 52min (3.1miles) **"

Holy awesome, happy runner! I think I can run for about ten seconds ROFLMAO. Good for you!!!

ghost
06-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Happy Wedesday ya'll! Its sunny outside so I'm getting ready to pull the boss card and play hooky for the afternoon to plant flowers and veg in the garden. I've not weighed in a few days, too disappointed with the numbers and not willing to let it shape my days. I'm on plan and happy.

I bought a recumbent stationary bike last night to go with the treadmill that I got last summer. Hopefully I'll have time to put them to good use as I kick up my exercise plans.

Slimmer Down Now
06-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Great attitude Ghost!!

I like this group! Should we start a new thread since it's June?? :)

Rocki
06-07-2012, 12:04 AM
I would love to join in. I'll follow along in a June thread. I'm planning on starting Monday. I have to get through end of the school year parties and get my shopping done.

Astro
06-07-2012, 01:04 AM
HI, new guy, just started low carb a couple days ago. Am in ketosis now so will see how it goes. Trying to do a bit of exercise as well. Wish me luck.

BerkshireGrl
06-07-2012, 08:13 AM
:goodluck: Astro, and everyone else! :)

I need it too... I am going through the post-breakup blues, and only went off plan on Tuesday night, where I had a boatload of croutons in my salad, chocolate cake, and a pint of beer. But I told myself that method of coping could only go on for ONE night :lol:

I didn't weigh myself the morning after, but I did this morning, and I am up about a pound. Not too terrible.

Have to keep on plan because I figure that will add to my self-confidence to weather this, and oh yeah, get healthier!

Brooklynn
06-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Hi ladies I hope you all are doing well! I am a little frustrated because last week my scale said 195, now for this week it has said 197 (not moving much) but my digital scale say 204 WTF????? I am just going to go with the analog scale because that one seems to work best but its still very frustrating I am busting my *** not only at the gym but on my diet too then when I see a cake or cookie Im like grrrrr why am I putting myself through this when I just want to eat this stuff. Then I remember FOR THE HEALTH OF IT!

Brooklynn
06-07-2012, 11:40 AM
oh ps is anyone going to start a june thread?

ghost
06-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Lol! I will!