Ideal Protein Diet - Phase 4 - transitioning

View Full Version : Phase 4 - transitioning

purple sky
05-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Phase 4 is maintenance. It's how we will be eating for the rest of our lives. I move to phase 4 tomorrow and I have to admit I am pretty nervous. I started this thread largely based on some Phase 4 type discussion in the Phase 3 thread. And realized that perhaps a transition to phase 4 thread might help some. Based on what I have read it is a much more broad and less focused phase than any other.

So, if you have any thoughts, tips, advice or suggestions I would love to hear it. What I am seeking is assistance for the first few days and weeks as we transition to the rest of our lives. I know maintenance is a challenging balancing act and that ultimately we will have to figure out what works for each of us.

Right now I am just planing for a modified Phase 3, where I don't make myself eat all my breakfast in one sitting.

It feels like starting over, in a way. A new beginning.

Turns out I have some kind of food sensitivity with some of the foods I added back in P3. As a result my energy and focus aren't quite where I would like it to be in order to transition to this new phase successfully. That is also something I am going to have to play with.

CassiR
05-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks for posting this purple! I will find this thread extremly valuable as I transition as well. :hug:

CassiR
05-10-2012, 12:52 PM
So this is what i've gathered from other threads i've read:

‘real’ salad dressing and cheese at lunch
Breakfasts same as p3, but can be spread out
Pasta or any other high fiber carb with dinner
Yogurt, fruit, nuts, bars, RTDs for snacks
TRACK! Continue with journal/online food tracking
WI at least once a week

Anything else? I think adding things slowly is the main idea. Also, any input on the "free" day? I hate to use cheat.. it is allowed and recommended.

Momto2cs
05-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Come check out the maintainers thread. You can see a lot of people struggle with adding the carbs back. But there is lots of interesting discussion!

purple sky
05-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Come check out the maintainers thread. You can see a lot of people struggle with adding the carbs back. But there is lots of interesting discussion!

I do. It's a great thread but it's a little to hard find beginners information. I love it for down the line but I am anxious about day one and week 1 of P4. And I can't seem to find that or I am not looking well enough. As well, I wanted to pull the transition to P4 discussion out of the P3 thread because that one has a wealth of information for those transitioning to P3 and the P4 info. would only confuse them.

I was definitely hesitant about starting a duplicate thread but appreciated the focus on transition in the P3 thread so we'll see. I think a lot of people who started at the beginning of the year are starting to phase down.

By the way I am reading about food combining. More on that later.

VickiR
05-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Hey Purple sky, I agree. It was time to start a new thread. I'm sure there are a lot of people reading these posts but don't comment like I used to not comment. I still found a lot of the information very useful. You, CassiR, and I are here again! The transition is scary.
I'm confused about something you keep saying- that you can spread out the breakfast. Are you sure about that? I've always read it has to be eaten in one sitting. Maybe I'm missing something.
I'm also really confused about the snacking throughout the day. That makes me really, really nervous. I don't think I'm going to do it.
My first P4 lunch is going to be chicken salad. I think that one should be easy enough because the chicken will count as my protein, celery and pickles as veg + 1 cup of raw baby spinach, and a little mayo for the fat. Dinner will be some sort of lean protein, 2 cups veg, and 1 cup (5 oz cooked) pasta. I wish there was more info like how much fat exactly at lunch.
What will your meals look like?

GoodEatsandWine
05-10-2012, 09:29 PM
I've been in P4 for about 3 weeks now and I'm finally getting the idea of how it works. I attached the Meal Planner my coach gave me to help with planning P4 meals.

She said I can keep breakfast the same as P3 or break it up. I break it up because I usually want something midmorning. For example, this morning I had eggs & bacon and later around 10:00 I had yogurt/fruit/oatbran mixture.

For lunch I struggled with trying to figure out what to add as a fat. So far I tried cheese, nuts, bacon and full-fat salad dressing. My favorites are cheese and/or bacon. From the attached Meal Planner it is suggested we have 1-2 servings (10-20g) of fat. It's up to us to figure how much we can handle before we start to gain weight, so start slow and increase the amount until you notice an increase in weight and then back down.

For dinner be careful of the carbs! It is so easy to eat more than you can handle. I tried sweet potatoes, beans and only have wheat on my cheat day but I've found I'm really sensitive to carbs so I keep them pretty much to my cheat day now.

BTW, take it really easy on your first couple of cheat days! On my first one I only allowed myself two things a cinnamon roll and a samosa. I had the worst hang-over headache and queasy stomach for 3-4 days afterwards. Now on my cheat day I just add more cheese and I have a glass of wine for dinner (my cheat day is spread out Friday thru Sunday but only the dinner meal). So far it works for me and I don't have that terrible 'day after' feeling.

Regarding snacks, I typically don't have snacks because I eat pretty big meals; except for breakfast that is split into two.

This blog is a wonderful source for hearing how people are going thru the same thing you are, I love it! Good luck!

purple sky
05-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Done. :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::c arrot::carrot:

I'll be back tomorrow to share what I learned about P4 eventhough I won't fully be in it for a few days (vacation). Now, it makes more sense. Just wish I were fully starting. Vacation makes me nervous but if I have to do P1 for a bit then I will.

:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::c arrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

Ishbel
05-10-2012, 11:29 PM
...phase 4 newbie thread? :) great idea! Thanks for starting it!

VickiR
05-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Thanks so much, GoodEatsandWine. Good luck tomorrow Purplesky! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

VickiR
05-11-2012, 12:19 AM
GoodEatsandWine,

I just looked at your P4 meal planner. I love it! I have a couple questions, though. 15 grams of S Carbs- that's about 1/2 oz. Is that 1/2 oz dry or cooked? About how much is that in pasta? 1/2 cup? 1 cup? 10-20 grams of fat is kind of a lot. Can your protein fat be included in that number?

purple sky
05-11-2012, 02:16 AM
Hey Purple sky, I agree. It was time to start a new thread. I'm sure there are a lot of people reading these posts but don't comment like I used to not comment. I still found a lot of the information very useful. You, CassiR, and I are here again! The transition is scary.
I'm confused about something you keep saying- that you can spread out the breakfast. Are you sure about that? I've always read it has to be eaten in one sitting. Maybe I'm missing something.
I'm also really confused about the snacking throughout the day. That makes me really, really nervous. I don't think I'm going to do it.
My first P4 lunch is going to be chicken salad. I think that one should be easy enough because the chicken will count as my protein, celery and pickles as veg + 1 cup of raw baby spinach, and a little mayo for the fat. Dinner will be some sort of lean protein, 2 cups veg, and 1 cup (5 oz cooked) pasta. I wish there was more info like how much fat exactly at lunch.
What will your meals look like?

My understanding is that we needed to eat all (most) of our carbs during breakfast to get our insulin to release only once a day. And that P3 was sort of like a practice session for getting our bodies to produce insulin regularly and correctly. But, going forward we no longer needed to have all those carbs in one sitting. I could be wrong, though. I was planning on spacing that meal apart so I would not be overfull and delay lunch or too hungry an hour or two after I ate. So, I would do the full breakfast to be on the safe side. Personally, I think I will experiment. Something did not work this week and I don't which foods or which combinations of foods were the issue so I thought I might start by separating out items.

For example, I might have my cereal and almond milk in the morning with coffee and then mid morning have my yogurt and fruit. So, in that it is more like a snack than double breakfast. P3 breakfast was too much for me to eat in one sitting on a weekday. I graze.

I did get the P4 sheets and I think I will start by trying to eat the P3 way for the most part. At lunch I can add cheese to my salad. I think I can also add it at breakfast to my eggs but would need to watch my other fats butter, etc. And dinner is when I will add carbs. Don't think I will add pasta early on. I just have a funny feeling we might not get along. I don't have a clear sense for the snack options but based on what I have seen from others, it sounds like fruits and nuts might work.

So, it's basically an enhanced P3 if that make sense.
Same breakfast
Lunch with a little fat (cheese on salad)
Dinner with a carb (no fat)
Snack.

I have to play around with it but may just stick to P3 tomorrow.
Your meal looks good to me. Sounds like it is key to keep the fat and carbs separate.

I remember P3 making absolutely no sense until I sat down and wrote it all out.

CassiR
05-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Purple, good luck!!! Let us know how everything goes! Have fun on vacation!

Goodeatsandwine, Thank you so much for your input and posting your meal planner. This helps so much! As for the snack, I see it says protein/fruit/veggie, so where does yogurt or nuts fall into? I know a lot of people love greek yogurt but i'm a plain yogurt fan. Also nuts, are they a fat?

Vicki, good questions. I think I'm going to start off with quinoa and then incorporate a sprouted pasta or some other low glycemic carb for dinner. What will you be having with your pasta? I seen some people say they made their own tomato sauce but all the recipes i've looked up have oil in them. I guess that means pesto is out of the question as well? As for lunch, i'm not sure how much fat i'll be adding back in. My current meals dont really need fat and if I were to add fat it wouldnt make the dish much better. I will indulge in ceasar salads though! The cafeteria in my office sells all kinds of specialty salads and looks like they all fall under p4 guidlines. That's exciting!

I'm still unsure about snacks. Are we allowed just one still? I'd like to have a small mid day snack and then another before bed snack. Hm?

New Englander
05-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Hi all, I too was concerned with beginning maintenance, (as with all the phases). But after a few days I got into a grove and now have some favs.

I'm still learning and tweaking. For breakfast I have a shake, two pieces of whole wheat toast with 1 serving of peanut butter with sliced bananas on top! YUM!!!

And throughout the day I'll have two snacks (an apple, protein bar, slice of cheese or grapefruit)...

I was able to get some clarification from my coach too in regards to lunch fats. I can have two servings, whether it be avocado, mayo or cheese (which can also be considered a protein), then I'm all set. Today I had 1/2 an avocado with some chicken on a salad. It was delicious. Some days I'll have a salad with a can of tuna with two tbsp of mayo. If I use one tbsp of mayo than I'll use a slice of cheese and make a tuna melt (without the bread)! :)

My dinners have been a serving of whole wheat pasta (2 ounces), one serving of pasta sauce (1/2 cup) and some protein. I'll sprinkle it with a hard cheese (parm, Romano etc) and it's amazing! I've never had a box of pasta last me so long. I use to think a 1/2 a box was a serving!!! LOL!!!WRONG! And to my surprise the amounts we're suppose to eat fills me up! I bought a food scale at Target and weigh what needs to be weighted (i.e. the pasta). For my protein I don't eat 8 ounces, but I try to offset my protein with a shake at night. I need to start tracking more thoroughly to make sure I'm getting all my protein each day.

I've been maintaining just fine even though cheat days do make the scale go up...and then right back down within 3-4 days...I have to admit it has been hard to have just one cheat day...I've been doing 1.5 days...

The day after my cheat days I don't even want to eat anything and my coach said you still have to eat P1 or your body will go into starvation mode (a theory some believe and others don't...) After a cheat day (especially if I've had Chinese I'm so flipping bloated I don't want anything...)

can't wait to see what others are doing... :)

purple sky
05-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Thank you guys. This is Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo helpful. I was overstressing. Now based on your comments i have a much better picture for P4. It's less scary now. You just step in there, dip your toes and see how it works.

I like that I had some weird effects in the second week of P3. It's telling me that I need to tread lightly and carefully with meal exploration.

GoodEatsandWine - Thank you, thank you for the worksheet. This type of document really helps a lot with meal planning. I will also be breaking up breakfast. I think I may have learned that from you. I know I got it from the maintainers thread.

New Englander - Thank you so much for the clarification. I was like do you eat your pasta without fat? Dry pasta just did not sound appealing.

You guys are so awesome. I can't even tell you.

I am going to start adding Food Enzymes to see if it assists with some of my issues. I really think my body does not like change and does not like different foods at once. I have had GI issues my whole life, top to bottom. If I could I would eat one food item like every half hour but that's not realistic.

We got this...ladies. We got this!

Still stumped on the fat/carb deal at dinner though.

I have a recipe with quinoa that I like. Basically toss it with roasted veggies of your choice (super yummy with turnips, carrots and cilantro, sometimes garbanzo beans) and a dressing. The dressing has olive oil in it. Is that considered a fat then? Or maybe this would make a better lunch. I believe quinoa has a lot of protein.

New Englander
05-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Hi Purple. Dinner is the carb meal with little or no fat. Lunch is your fat meal with no carbs...

But for dinner you can sprinkle a hard cheese on your food. I stay away from any other fats like olive oil or any oil BUT I think you can have a tsp or so of an oil. Not sure if it's still only olive oil...

Dakin
05-11-2012, 07:20 PM
I've been stalking this tread, even tho I'm not even close to P4 yet.
Let's call it "research" shall we?
This may be a really stupid question, but does IP provide you a list of what foods are 'slow carbs', 'fast carbs', or even fats / proteins (seeing as yogurt could be either)? I'm really not too sure how to classify them.
I'm so thankful that I can learn from all of you!

New Englander
05-11-2012, 08:43 PM
I've been stalking this tread, even tho I'm not even close to P4 yet.
Let's call it "research" shall we?
This may be a really stupid question, but does IP provide you a list of what foods are 'slow carbs', 'fast carbs', or even fats / proteins (seeing as yogurt could be either)? I'm really not too sure how to classify them.
I'm so thankful that I can learn from all of you!
The only food list I received from my coach were list of veggies and fruits and the level they are on the glycemic (sp) index. I've been googling the other items. It does get a little "tricky" for some items...I was talking to my coach about fats and she said cheese is a fat but can also count as a protein... some gray areas...so if I want an extra fat I'll consider it a protein ;)

VickiR
05-11-2012, 09:13 PM
So what about your protein at dinner that may have some fat in it? Is that okay? For instance- skirt steak (center cut, as much fat trimmed as possible), or 96% lean ground beef? Will the fat in the protein be a problem? I understand not adding the extra fat with sauces or too much cheese but... every night can't be chicken.

Sewmam
05-12-2012, 08:48 AM
I'm only in Phase 4 for about 5 weeks, so time will tell, but here's what I know/do.

Breakfast is same as Phase 3, though I do agree that the pancreas is awake now, so having it in one sitting is not as important anymore.

Lunch, I have my usual home made soup and throw in some meat. Have my usual salad, but now I can add regular salad dressing and cheese. The amounts of fat are not real clear on the Phase 4 sheet - they just say 'at least' 1 tbsp oil. But I try not to overdo it.

Dinner, I have my usual stir-fry vegees and add meat (not all the time), and pasta or rice or some other grain I'm learning about. My Phase 4 sheet just says '1 serving' so if you look at the package of pasta, 1 serving is 2 oz dry, weighed, and it cooks up to a little less than a cup. I still use 2 tsp oil for the stir-fry, but that's it for fat at dinner. Maybe some fat-free feta on the salad, with a WF dressing.

Fruit is allowed at dinner, so I usually save that fruit for my evening snack and have yogurt as the protein snack, with fruit.

I also have a late morning and late afternoon snack, as I try to push to get my house fixed and need something, so I've been having spinach/kale smoothies with soy protein powder and WF chocolate or caramel and ice. Or, an IP bar or chips.

You can have 'unlimited' vegees, but I still find I can only eat about 2 cups with meals, but I can then have the extra spinach in my smoothies. You can have the full 7 oz meat twice a day, but you don't have to have a full 14 oz, so many times I don't. I still get plenty of protein with the smoothies.

I call the 'cheat' days 'splurge' days. I like that better. ;)

Dakin
05-12-2012, 09:54 AM
I just found this informational sheet and thought I'd share. I don't know if your clinics gave you something similar, but it may be helpful.

New Englander
05-12-2012, 09:59 AM
So what about your protein at dinner that may have some fat in it? Is that okay? For instance- skirt steak (center cut, as much fat trimmed as possible), or 96% lean ground beef? Will the fat in the protein be a problem? I understand not adding the extra fat with sauces or too much cheese but... every night can't be chicken.
Fat from the meats is fine at dinner. :)

VickiR
05-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Fat from the meats is fine at dinner.
Thank you so much for that info. I was really confused.

Dinner, I have my usual stir-fry vegees and add meat (not all the time), and pasta or rice or some other grain I'm learning about. My Phase 4 sheet just says '1 serving' so if you look at the package of pasta, 1 serving is 2 oz dry, weighed, and it cooks up to a little less than a cup. I still use 2 tsp oil for the stir-fry, but that's it for fat at dinner. Maybe some fat-free feta on the salad, with a WF dressing.
Thank you, Sewmam. I guess I just really need specifics to feel comfortable. You all have helped me tremendously and I can't thank you enough.

Today is my first P4 day! I'm really excited. I'll have chicken salad for lunch and I'm going to a communion party later for dinner which will be catered. I'll have the Chicken Picata (all sauce scraped off), salad (no dressing), veggies, and a small roll if there is one. There won't be any rice. There will be vegetable lasagna but I think it will be too messy and hard to scrape off all the ricotta cheese and other deliciousness. Plus I don't think I can control myself. :)

GoodEatsandWine
05-12-2012, 01:28 PM
GoodEatsandWine,

I just looked at your P4 meal planner. I love it! I have a couple questions, though. 15 grams of S Carbs- that's about 1/2 oz. Is that 1/2 oz dry or cooked? About how much is that in pasta? 1/2 cup? 1 cup? 10-20 grams of fat is kind of a lot. Can your protein fat be included in that number?

I usually go by the nutritional label to figure out amounts. For example, 1oz of cheddar cheese has 9 grams of fat. Then I use my digital scale that is adjustable to measure lbs.,ounces, grams, etc., to measure 1oz of cheese. I've always been told to measure pasta cooked...which is about a cup. Again, I would weigh it on a scale not a measuring cup because weight is more accurate since pastas have so many different shapes. Don't worry, you won't have measure every time. After a few couple times you will a good idea of how much 1oz of cheese (or any other food you commonly eat) looks like.

I thought 10-20 grams of fat was a lot too. I started out only using just under 10grams but I have since increased it and haven't noticed an increase in my weight! The fat in your protein is not included in this amount.

BTW, my coach said we are allowed up to 5grams of fat for dinner to account for things like oil in cooking or a bit of grated Parmesan cheese.

GoodEatsandWine
05-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Purple, good luck!!! Let us know how everything goes! Have fun on vacation!

Goodeatsandwine, Thank you so much for your input and posting your meal planner. This helps so much! As for the snack, I see it says protein/fruit/veggie, so where does yogurt or nuts fall into? I know a lot of people love greek yogurt but i'm a plain yogurt fan. Also nuts, are they a fat?

Vicki, as for lunch, i'm not sure how much fat i'll be adding back in. My current meals dont really need fat and if I were to add fat it wouldnt make the dish much better. I will indulge in ceasar salads though! The cafeteria in my office sells all kinds of specialty salads and looks like they all fall under p4 guidlines. That's exciting!

I'm still unsure about snacks. Are we allowed just one still? I'd like to have a small mid day snack and then another before bed snack. Hm?

There are certain foods that fall under a protein/fat category, like nuts or yogurt with fat, so they can be counted as a protein when considering your snack. I have counted nuts as a fat for one of my lunches in the past. Like you, I didn't "get" the fat at lunch, so I didn't add any or added very little. Now after finding a couple yummy ideas, I totally embrace it! Two of my favorites are:

Mushroom cap pizza bites- cremini mushrooms, pizza sauce, & mozzarella cheese; preheat oven to 400 degrees. Snap stems off, bake caps on nonstick sprayed or foil lined baking sheet for 6 minutes. Pour out liquid pooled in the caps, then set oven to broil. Spoon pizza sauce in each cup, and fill with grated cheese. Broil for 1-2 minutes. These can be eaten immediately or made ahead and eaten later. Yum! There are so many variations you can do with this, Brie/pesto/sun-dried tomatoes, bacon/Swiss/spicy mustard, etc.

Zucchini tots- 1 cup grated zucchini (wring out excess water), 1 egg, 1/4 diced onion, 1/4cp grated cheddar cheese, salt&pepper; preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Combine and mix all ingredients in a bowl. Fill each muffin section to the top, pushing down on the filling with a spoon (otherwise they'll fall apart more when you remove them from the tin). Bake for 15-18 minutes. The tops will start to brown. Run a plastic knife around the edge to easily remove. This makes about 12 tots. Leftovers! Again, you can adjust this to your liking or for variation by changing the cheese or spices or adding things like bacon, ham, sun-dried tomatoes, etc. If you find they are too moist and fall apart, next time add another egg white or add almond flour/meal or protein powder. These are delish on their own or with pasta sauce, salsa or WF BBQ sauce.

Sewmam
05-12-2012, 07:12 PM
When you all say that you are sensitive to the starches, do you mean that you can't digest it, i.e., you get a stomach ache, or you felt bloated or gained weight immediately? Just curious...

The fat-free cheeses are a great way to add that little something to dinner meals. Fat-free feta is great. I even take a WF dressing and process it with some feta or, buttermilk, or the fat-free yogurt to make a creamier dressing. I've got regular and fat-free versions of mozzarella, feta and cheddar in my freezer.

It is stressful doing this change, but really, the foods are great. Once you get the hang of what you like and what fits your lifestyle and body, you'll be sailing along...

GoodEatsandWine
05-13-2012, 01:04 PM
When you all say that you are sensitive to the starches, do you mean that you can't digest it, i.e., you get a stomach ache, or you felt bloated or gained weight immediately? Just curious...

The fat-free cheeses are a great way to add that little something to dinner meals. Fat-free feta is great. I even take a WF dressing and process it with some feta or, buttermilk, or the fat-free yogurt to make a creamier dressing. I've got regular and fat-free versions of mozzarella, feta and cheddar in my freezer.

It is stressful doing this change, but really, the foods are great. Once you get the hang of what you like and what fits your lifestyle and body, you'll be sailing along...

When I added back starchy carbs at dinner in P4, I got headaches, a sharp pain in my upper stomach and night sweats in the middle of the night, the following morning I would wake up with the same headache and have brain fog, fatigue, and terrible muscle pains in my neck and shoulders. I also had an increase in weight which I needed anyway because I was 5lbs under weight (I didn't gain weight in P3). I felt these things for years before going on IP, even went to doctors and chiropractors, had blood tests done and they found nothing to explain what I was feeling so I just lived with it. While on IP I felt great and somehow forgot about how terrible I felt before the diet until I started adding things back in. After being free of pain and fatigue for several months, it's unbelievable I was able to live with that pain for so long!

I think I can tolerate some starchy carbs because I didn't get these symptoms while having P3 breakfasts, that included small amounts; it was only when I started P4 when I started to notice them again.

Sewmam
05-13-2012, 06:02 PM
When I added back starchy carbs at dinner in P4, I got headaches, a sharp pain in my upper stomach and night sweats in the middle of the night, the following morning I would wake up with the same headache and have brain fog, fatigue, and terrible muscle pains in my neck and shoulders. I also had an increase in weight which I needed anyway because I was 5lbs under weight (I didn't gain weight in P3). I felt these things for years before going on IP, even went to doctors and chiropractors, had blood tests done and they found nothing to explain what I was feeling so I just lived with it. While on IP I felt great and somehow forgot about how terrible I felt before the diet until I started adding things back in. After being free of pain and fatigue for several months, it's unbelievable I was able to live with that pain for so long!

I think I can tolerate some starchy carbs because I didn't get these symptoms while having P3 breakfasts, that included small amounts; it was only when I started P4 when I started to notice them again.

Wow....I wonder if you have Crohn's or Celiac disease, or just a gluten tolerance problem? I have noticed some inflammation coming back too, and I'm going to check out Crohn's or Celiac, both of which can produce inflammation. Blood tests don't tell everything though - I think they need to take a biopsy of the colon to diagnose.

Good luck to you...

2Poles1Girl
05-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Day 3 of P4 and I messed up my lunch with some grapefruit...oops. Other than that, it's been going okay. It's certainly a work in progress trying to figure it out and get some patterns in place. In time....

Momto2cs
05-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Carbs and I are also enemies. Bloating and water retention.

GoodEatsandWine
05-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Wow....I wonder if you have Crohn's or Celiac disease, or just a gluten tolerance problem? I have noticed some inflammation coming back too, and I'm going to check out Crohn's or Celiac, both of which can produce inflammation. Blood tests don't tell everything though - I think they need to take a biopsy of the colon to diagnose.

Good luck to you...

Thanks Sewman. After reading this, I had to check out both diseases. Between the two, the things I've felt sound more like Celiac symptoms. About a year ago my doctor suggested a colonoscopy, which I did, but nothing showed up; however, they didn't do a biopsy. Yikes! It's amazing the things we find out about ourselves on this diet, isn't it? BTW, two more symptoms that I had for years (I haven't noticed them since going on IP or even while in P4) was a feeling of being bloated, ALL the time, and floating stools. One of the reasons I probably haven't experienced those now is because so far I haven't eaten enough starchy carbs, like I have in the past, before the going on IP.

magpieoz
05-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Hi All,

I am week 3 of phase 4 and I have gained 5 lbs. I haven't gained inches. I basically eat Sun, Mon, Tues Phase 1 or 2. Wed, thurs, fri phase 3 and go buck wild on saturday eating pasta and dessert and having a few classes of wine.

I am going to get through the next few weeks like this because I have parties ever weekend until June 3rd. But has anyone else experienced weight gain? I find it really annoying because I stalled out and stopped losing so I gave up and phased out. I had wanted to go 5 more lbs so I'd end where I wanted to be instead of where I am now, which is 5 lbs more than I wanted.

Anyone else gaining weight or have thoughts on how to maintain?

Thanks!

GoodEatsandWine
05-16-2012, 07:25 PM
I finally remembered to upload these handouts my coach gave to me before going into Phase 4. Hope you will find some of the info helpful while you're transitioning into maintenance!

GoodEatsandWine
05-16-2012, 07:34 PM
aaannnd here's a couple more :)

Chloe222
05-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Thank you for all of these documents!

2Poles1Girl
05-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Wow, thank you so much for the documents. It will be most helpful. Five days in and I'm up 1 1/2 lbs....grr. Gotta figure it out SOON. And yes, I'm logging everything, exercising and trying to stay within what I thought were the correct gram guidelines. I'm not being so correct...

GoodEatsandWine
05-17-2012, 03:54 PM
I was noticing an increase in my weight also, during the first couple days of Phase 4. In my case, it was because I didn't increase the carbs slowly to see were my limits were. Instead, I added carbs to the maximum given in the handouts, thinking that was how much I was allowed. Not only did I gain weight I felt horrible. Since then, I limit the starchy carbs I have to little or none and increased my fat. For example I have a couple tablespoons of oat bran a day for breakfast and sometimes I have a corn tortilla with dinner (cut into strips for my salad); otherwise my dinner is another fat meal, like lunch, where I add cheese, nuts and/or oil.

I still eat 8oz of protein for dinner and sometimes lunch, unless I have one of those 5oz packets of tuna; also, I still have a giant salad for lunch and dinner. There isn't much room in my tummy for much more so I don't feel like cheating or have any desire to overeat starchy carbs or fatty foods.

My giant salad (for dinner and lunch) consists of:
1/4 head of Iceberg lettuce plus 3 large leaves of Romaine lettuce;
1 red pepper, chopped
1/4 red onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
sometimes 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
and one of the following (depending on what's for dinner): sauteed mushrooms, roasted aspargus, steamed zucchini, etc.
2 tablespoons of WF dressing

purple sky
05-17-2012, 06:20 PM
aaannnd here's a couple more :)

Thank you, GoodEatsandWine. I am going to print all of these out. So helpful. The fat carb deal for lunch and dinner was so confusing to me.

I picked up some veggie burgers but they all have rice and grains in them. I would love to have them at lunch with a salad but they seem more like a dinner item per P4.

Then again we can switch dinner and lunch. Sometimes I prefer the big salad at dinner.

They actually might be a better breakfast item.

Sewmam
05-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the recipe files! Isn't it amazing how we can make really great food that is not necessarily high fat or high carb? The experimenting and inventing has been one of my favorite things about this journey...

CassiR
05-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Thank you soo much Good Eats!!! This is a huge help.

Wow, thank you so much for the documents. It will be most helpful. Five days in and I'm up 1 1/2 lbs....grr. Gotta figure it out SOON. And yes, I'm logging everything, exercising and trying to stay within what I thought were the correct gram guidelines. I'm not being so correct...
Uh oh! Let us know how things continue to go. I start tomorrow.
Thank you, GoodEatsandWine. I am going to print all of these out. So helpful. The fat carb deal for lunch and dinner was so confusing to me.

I picked up some veggie burgers but they all have rice and grains in them. I would love to have them at lunch with a salad but they seem more like a dinner item per P4.

Then again we can switch dinner and lunch. Sometimes I prefer the big salad at dinner.

They actually might be a better breakfast item.
How's vacation? And phase 4? .. I start tomorrow. And I'm really craving chinese. Now sure if I want to use my free day or not tomorrow.
I never thought about how the veggie burgers have grains in them. Hmm.. I eat baked tempeh strips like they are french fries almost every night. I also have boca burgers everyday for lunch during the week. They are so good! I dont think they have effected my losses so I think I'll continue to use them, unless I do a huge salad with some fat.

I bought this (http://www.amazon.com/World-Cuisine-A4982799-Tri-Blade-Vegetable/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337349205&sr=8-1) and am going to try it out this weekend. I'm excited about zucchini noodles with a tomato sauce. Maybe even meatballs? yum.

purple sky
05-18-2012, 03:33 PM
I never thought about how the veggie burgers have grains in them. Hmm.. I eat baked tempeh strips like they are french fries almost every night. I also have boca burgers everyday for lunch during the week. They are so good! I dont think they have effected my losses so I think I'll continue to use them, unless I do a huge salad with some fat.

The veggie burgers are all so different. The carb content was not bad so I am assuming it's fine. They must stick the grains in there to bulk it up or make it filling or something.

How many burgers to you eat. I had 2 yesterday. Was hungry. Also, how do you prepare them. I like them for lunch. I often have omelets for lunch and the veggie burgers seem nice as well. I don't always want meat at lunch.

Vacation was good. Will be back with another e-mail in a bit.

CassiR
05-18-2012, 05:06 PM
The veggie burgers are all so different. The carb content was not bad so I am assuming it's fine. They must stick the grains in there to bulk it up or make it filling or something.

How many burgers to you eat. I had 2 yesterday. Was hungry. Also, how do you prepare them. I like them for lunch. I often have omelets for lunch and the veggie burgers seem nice as well. I don't always want meat at lunch.

Vacation was good. Will be back with another e-mail in a bit.

Glad to hear vacation was good. I normally have 2 of the boca burger patties (All American Classic with non-gmo soy) because they are each 15g of protein. It ends up being the 30g of protein, similar to what a chicken breast would be. They have 6 carbs and 6 fiber so essentially 0 net carbs, but I find that hard to believe. They are yummy. I make them in the microwave at work and eat them plain because they have cheese added right into them. It's not super noticable though.

purple sky
05-18-2012, 07:16 PM
I had a good time while away. Just what the doctor ordered. Throughout this diet I rarely ate out and rarely took chances. Being away from home and my kitchen pushed me to try new things.

I would say I did a loose version of P4 and ate the restricted liberally. They helped when I was hungry so I would not make poor choices. Plus, my sweet cravings are up.

I drank a lot of Iced Venti Americano's with half and half. (might also be called Breve) added Stevia to everything. I don't know the calorie or carb amount for them. And I discovered some interesting Mediterranean salads. They had ingredients like nuts, feta, raisins and tabbouleh which has cracked wheat in it. These were large and filling and seemed to fit well with maintenance. Each day I tried something new. Because I have such a sensitive stomach I knew it was unwise to go crazy especially away from home and a bathroom. I tried carrots and parsnips my first day in addition to the half and half iced coffees. Oh, I also tried something with like coconut milk and a nut crust. I am going to have to look up the info on coconut milk. May be high in fat. Dunno.

We were able to do P3 breakfast for a few days because we had a kitchenette. This was comfortable and familiar. The next place offered free breakfast and I thought well this is your time to try things. So, I had pancakes. One day I tried a piece of pita bread. The next I tried a slice of pizza. I basically added things slowly and always took my digestive enzymes.

It was not hard to find good salads to eat. It was a little hard to find the right amt of veggies. But, I seem to do better with American fare or Mediterranean. I never sampled alcohol or items with much sugar in them. And I tried, to the extent possible, to have the carbs in the morning and evening. There is something to that P4 rule. It seemed to work.

I did well with all my familiar foods and addition of other veggies and nuts and some cheese but things like pizza and fried wontons and breakfast potatoes did not feel right. No harm no foul.

Now, I think I might do a modified P3. DH will be going back to P1 and I might continue P1 dinners with him. I don't want to let go of my P3 breakfasts. I will kind of have to play with things. I thought I would go back on P1 upon return but I really don't want to go back into ketosis.

Weight seems to be holding steady but we'll see. Seems to be going up and down a bit depending on when I weigh. Oh, bathroom time was surprisingly good while away. I did take my slippery elm with me but blew off other supplements.

I noticed that after certain meals I feel great. Love the P3 breakfasts. Did not feel as great after I had those potatoes that one morning. Veggie patties or the salads worked well for lunch. I was actually comfortable with some carbs at dinner did not feel so hot after a small bit of pizza. I think it was the amt of cheese.

So eventually I am going to have to move beyond my bars and to P4 snacks but I have not quite decided yet. DH was more adventurous than me. He had pizza several nights and pancakes and some sandwiches and some wine but he ate in moderation and did not experience much of a gain. He knew he was heading back to P1 next week.

It was sorta good to get thrust into a vacation because it forced me to try things, things I would not have tried had I stayed at home. I had this weird fear of food or something for no reason. Some food just immediately does not taste or feel right the moment you put it in your mouth. Some hits later with a fatigue type feeling or something.

CassiR
05-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Your vacation was great and sounded like you did well! I hope to say the same come next week after my vacation is over :)
Please keep us updated!
I have last p3 WI tomorrow morning and then am going to have my "free" day before my family shows up early next week. I may have to do a p1 when I get back, but looks like I will be leaning towards another plan similar to IP's maintenance but not quite. More small meals with vegetables and proteins in each one. We'll see. It focuses more on clean eating with exercise tied in.

purple sky
05-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Okay, I have chosen to stay on a Phase 3 like deal. It's easiest for me and DH is back on P1. So, I will have my breakfast and we can eat P1 dinners. I need to wean myself off the bars though. It's habit and I grab for them. They are not cost effective long term. I don't know if I am doing this to support DH or if I am afraid to leave my cacoon. Vacation and being away forced me to try new things but even then I was pretty timid considering what is on most menus.

2Poles1Girl
05-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Update.. So I was able to dump that 1.5 lbs from last week and am holding steady, yay! Vacation starts in 5 days and I know there will be some booze involved, lol. Hope I can manage the jolt and get back on track when I return.

And I'm with you Purple Sky, those bars need to go away. Those 150 calories worth of yum will not bring me down...literally and figuratively!!

Things are starting to become semi-routine which is good...I do my best with boundaries and knowledge in place.

CassiR
05-21-2012, 01:40 PM
1st real day of maintenance. The official first day I had my cheat day and then yesterday was doing p1.
So anyways, I had a p3 breakfast, but a bit smaller. Around 390 cals.
As a snack I did apple chips.. I know they said stay away from dried fruit but this brand I found literally had only apples and cinnamon in the ingredients list. One serving is only 29 calories.
For lunch I had a small slice of Eggplant Parmesan. It was small but really filling and yummy. I hope it was within the guidlines. Don't think I'll be having it again anytime soon though. Since the eggplant parm didn't have protein I had a greek yogurt. Hope that was OK too.
I have 1oz of almonds in my purse in case I get hungry again before dinner.
For dinner I'm just going to have my normal 4 oz tempeh and roasted zucchini. I will probably allow myself more zucchini now. I always wanted more before!
I think an after dinner/before bed snack is going to be a banana. I really really want to stay away from the bars! They are a slippery slope!

I logged my food on a calorie count site and says I'm at nearly 1400 calories! I'm not sure how much the eggplant parm but is I'm assuming between 250-300 calories? About how many calories are you maintainers having each day? I didn't even add in carbs for dinner..yet...

purple sky
05-21-2012, 03:17 PM
2Poles1Girl
Please keep us posted after your vacation. My situation eneded up being easier than I thought and the small amt I lost a few days after was quite nice. I overworried about it when where was no need to.

CassiR
I've been meaning to ask. Are you a vegetarian? I don't usually eat meat at lunch and almost never at breakfast. I am going to post my favorite quinoia recipe in here. Such a comforting dish. I have no idea what the nutritional information is. When I made it I made it with Red Quinoia so it was real pretty.

Historically I plumped up but felt good when I would eat vegetarian so I have to play with it a little as I now realize I went carb heavy. I will post a link for a site I found on this site. Some nice clean vegetarian stuff but no nutritional information. I guess if it looks like trouble we stay away.

CassiR
05-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Purple, No, I'm not vegetarian but DH is vegan so I adapt really well to whatever he has. It is very easy to slip into a diet of rice and grains.. I remember having multiple onion bagels with vegan butter in one day! wow. That man can eat anything and everything and not gain a pound. He kept up with me on Saturday for my cheat day and then yesterday as I was doing p1, he ate all the leftovers. lol
He is normally pretty healthy, or healthier, when I'm trying to be though. I feel good not eating many animal products. Like I'm helping or something! :D
Plus I really don't mind the meat substitutes. I'm trying to reduce my soy intake though.. especialy the GMO soy products. I love my tempeh though. I need to find a Non-GMO soy tempeh and I'll be happy.

Anyways, I really need to figure out a time to meet with my coach about this p4 business after my vacation. I'm very overwhelmed about the snacks and meals. When I log my food it shows a high amount of calories being consumed and that leads me to think there will be weight gain.

CassiR
05-21-2012, 04:55 PM
oh and please share the quinoa recipe! I love quinoa!

purple sky
05-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Sorry, I am replying out of order. I just had a chance to get through this whole thread.

Fruit is allowed at dinner, so I usually save that fruit for my evening snack and have yogurt as the protein snack, with fruit.

Aha, I like that idea. I have a bar problem that I want to cut out. I will try that for an evening snack. Might help. Lately, I have been doing my Iced Decaf Venti Americano's in the evening. They make me want to eat the bars with them. Vacation habit. Long term, this may not be a good idea. But since TOM is approaching I might wait to make a change. I already do a container of berries and yogurt every morning. Starbucks and an IP bar are not helping with reducing the cost of no longer being on IP. I've got clothes to buy. LOL!

I did order The Simply Bar per suggestion on this board. Slightly cheaper and they seem to be picky about the ingredients they put in their bars so we will see if they pass the taste and muchie craving tests.

Speaking of cravings, I could not handle MIO when in P1. Gave me insane cravings around TOM. Now, not an issue. It confused me back then because I used to drink Crystal Light. As well, I can tolerate bars now. I almost never ate them on P1. Had a reaction to them. I am soy sensitive yet I do 1 or 2 (shhh...sometimes 3 a day).

I usually go by the nutritional label to figure out amounts. For example, 1oz of cheddar cheese has 9 grams of fat. Then I use my digital scale that is adjustable to measure lbs.,ounces, grams, etc., to measure 1oz of cheese. I've always been told to measure pasta cooked...which is about a cup. Again, I would weigh it on a scale not a measuring cup because weight is more accurate since pastas have so many different shapes. Don't worry, you won't have measure every time. After a few couple times you will a good idea of how much 1oz of cheese (or any other food you commonly eat) looks like.

I thought 10-20 grams of fat was a lot too. I started out only using just under 10grams but I have since increased it and haven't noticed an increase in my weight! The fat in your protein is not included in this amount.

BTW, my coach said we are allowed up to 5grams of fat for dinner to account for things like oil in cooking or a bit of grated Parmesan cheese.

Nice, I have not yet added pasta back but this will help. It's not something I am craving. I have wanted potatoes recently so I might start there.

purple sky
05-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Two of my favorites are:

Mushroom cap pizza bites- cremini mushrooms, pizza sauce, & mozzarella cheese; preheat oven to 400 degrees. Snap stems off, bake caps on nonstick sprayed or foil lined baking sheet for 6 minutes. Pour out liquid pooled in the caps, then set oven to broil. Spoon pizza sauce in each cup, and fill with grated cheese. Broil for 1-2 minutes. These can be eaten immediately or made ahead and eaten later. Yum! There are so many variations you can do with this, Brie/pesto/sun-dried tomatoes, bacon/Swiss/spicy mustard, etc.

Zucchini tots- 1 cup grated zucchini (wring out excess water), 1 egg, 1/4 diced onion, 1/4cp grated cheddar cheese, salt&pepper; preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Combine and mix all ingredients in a bowl. Fill each muffin section to the top, pushing down on the filling with a spoon (otherwise they'll fall apart more when you remove them from the tin). Bake for 15-18 minutes. The tops will start to brown. Run a plastic knife around the edge to easily remove. This makes about 12 tots. Leftovers! Again, you can adjust this to your liking or for variation by changing the cheese or spices or adding things like bacon, ham, sun-dried tomatoes, etc. If you find they are too moist and fall apart, next time add another egg white or add almond flour/meal or protein powder. These are delish on their own or with pasta sauce, salsa or WF BBQ sauce.

Thank you. These look yummy.

purple sky
05-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Here is the blog I found on this site.
http://mynewroots.blogspot.com/

She makes very clean food. No nutritional info.
http://mynewroots.blogspot.com/2012/04/getting-fresh-in-turkey-with-aubergines.html
This eggplant dish looks like something we can eat.

This is my favorite quinoa dish.
I added garbanzo beans and then cilantro and green onions, at the end, because that is what I like. I think roasted zucchini or anything could go in there. Black beans?? Anything you like. I will say this, the parsnip/carrot combo was lovely. Yum. They go beautifully together and I think the sweet potato would have added something very nice. I think I used less olive oil too and made it to taste. DH loved this and ate it as a side dish. It is hearty enough. I ate it as a meal. I found it to be comforting. Works cold or hot.

http://www.oprah.com/own-cristinas-big-bowl-of-love/Roasted-Vegetable-Quinoa-Recipe

Roasted Vegetable Quinoa
Recipe courtesy of Cristina Ferrare

Roasted Vegetable Quinoa
Servings: Serves 4–6
Ingredients
Roasted Vegetable Quinoa

3 parsnips , peeled and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
6 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. Kosher salt
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped (optional)
6-8 sprigs fresh thyme
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper (optional)
1 cup quinoa, rinsed

Dressing

3 Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. honey or agave nectar
1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Preheat oven to 400° for vegetables.

To roast vegetables: Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss vegetables with olive oil, salt, thyme and pepper. Arrange vegetables in a single layer and bake for 40 minutes. Stir vegetables once and turn baking sheet halfway through cooking.

To prepare the quinoa: Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 12 to 14 minutes until fully cooked. Fluff with a fork.

To make dressing: Whisk together all the ingredients in a medium-size bowl.

To assemble, mix the dressing and the quinoa, then add vegetables and toss to combine.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 0 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes

This recipe may appear slightly modified from what you've seen on television.
Published on January 26, 2011

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/own-cristinas-big-bowl-of-love/Roasted-Vegetable-Quinoa-Recipe#ixzz1vY2HUtSp

CassiR
05-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Purple, I love mynewroots!! I think you posted this a few months ago and since then i've made a lot of stuff from her blog. DH loves the leek pesto. I haven't tried it yet. I'm actually making the cashew cake this weekend when my mom comes for vacation. Excited!! I've been wanting to try the eggplant recipe! It looks great!

I'm defiantly going to make this quinoa recipe. I love roasted veggies so I'm sure I'll love this. Thanks so much!!

I also really want to try GoodEat's mushroom cap "pizza"!

I planned out my meals for tomorrow so I hope it will be a better p4 day. I made egg salad with full fat vegan mayo for lunch. I love egg salad so I'm sure I'll enjoy this. I have my spinning class tomorrow and normally those day's I'm extra hungry. It's better to be prepared.

GoodEatsandWine
05-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Here is the blog I found on this site.
http://mynewroots.blogspot.com/

Thanks for this link. I'll have to go thru her recipes...the food has very tempting photos! and thanks for the Quinoa recipe. Looks delish!

I found a new favorite for my fat meal. The taste is so pleasing but beware, it is very filling!! That's a good thing but if you try to eat a normal serving size you're likely to bust! I got these ideas from that website I mentioned before - http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/

Out of the possibilities she's posted, I tried her healthy grilled cheese-tomato style (slightly altered version below):
(1 serving)
2 thick slices of a large tomato (this will be the 'bread')
3 tbsp almond meal/flour
grated parmigiano reggiano (approx. 1.5 tbsp)
1 egg white
seasonings (I used salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano)
1 slice of cheddar, goat or other cheese (approx. 1oz)
coconut oil, macadamia nut oil, olive oil or butter for frying

While oil is heating in a pan on medium heat, combine almond meal/flour, parmigiano reggiano and seasonings on a salad plate and put the egg white on another salad plate. Dip the tomato slices in the egg and then the dry mixture. Make sure it is well coated (I patted the dry ingredients onto the tomato slices). Then grill your tomato for about 3-5 minutes. Flip to other side and top the cooked side with the cheddar (or other cheese) slice. You're suppose to then make a sandwich with the two slices but I left them open-faced and topped both sides with cheese slices using thinner slices.

OMG, this was so good! With your meal, in my case, my giant salad with protein (chicken, beef, or whatever) it was very filling! I calc'd out the nutrition value and got the approximately the following for the grilled cheese tomato: Calories 225, carb 2.25g, protein 15g, fat 16g

My clinic's guidelines for the fat meal is to keep the fat around 10-20g; done!

Her other options for this (eggwhite then almond/cheese coating) is to make 'fries' using portobello mushrooms, eggplant or turnips. Then they are baked:
portobello mushroom fries - baked at 350 degrees for 15 minutes;
eggplant fries - baked at 400 degrees for 15 minutes;
turnip fries - baked at 425 degrees for 20 minutes;

purple sky
05-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Luvin' all these recipes.

Here is a another blog I like. But, warning, she does not count calories so for those of you who are creative and can figure the nutritional info yourself or who feel comfortable altering recipes to reduce, fat and carb content, you might like her.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/
This is Elena's Pantry and she has Celiac so everything on her site is gluten free. Now, as others have learned, we don't always do well with all items even if they are healthy. I remember pudging out a little on her recipes like I did with vegetarian foods sometimes.

I am sharing this because her recipes are really clean and simple. She appears to use almond or coconut flour in almost everything which gives people who are wheat and grain sensitive a chance at a baked good. DH liked some items I made as they were dense and weighty. I guess things like Almond and Coconut flour will do that.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/silver-dollar-pancakes/
These look good. Don't know what the calorie/carb count is for this but certainly fine for the free day. I love breakfast. I think it was my downfall back in the day. Can eat it all day.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-breakfast-bread/
Forgot to add these. Apparently, these are very light. Could be high in calories and fat because of the amt of almond butter (1/2 cup) but would also be high in protein.
There is a video of her making these.

I guess it is just going to be a matter of playing with things or just using them on the free day.

GoodEatsandWine
05-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Luvin' all these recipes.

Here is a another blog I like. But, warning, she does not count calories so for those of you who are creative and can figure the nutritional info yourself or who feel comfortable altering recipes to reduce, fat and carb content, you might like her.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/
This is Elena's Pantry and she has Celiac so everything on her site is gluten free. Now, as others have learned, we don't always do well with all items even if they are healthy. I remember pudging out a little on her recipes like I did with vegetarian foods sometimes.

I am sharing this because her recipes are really clean and simple. She appears to use almond or coconut flour in almost everything which gives people who are wheat and grain sensitive a chance at a baked good. DH liked some items I made as they were dense and weighty. I guess things like Almond and Coconut flour will do that.

Thanks for the recommendation! Luckily, I seem to be okay with high protein and fat foods...not so good with starchy carbs, so her recipes will work well with me! Especially those with almond and coconut flours. Like you said, they are really dense so you don't need a whole lot and they stay with you for a long time, as far as keeping you full!

purple sky
05-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Purple, I love mynewroots!! I think you posted this a few months ago and since then i've made a lot of stuff from her blog. DH loves the leek pesto.

I also really want to try GoodEat's mushroom cap "pizza"!

Leek pesto sounds good. I will look it up. Yes, those Mushroom cap pizzas are talking to me. Not sure if I am going to try that or the tomato "grilled cheese" first. Just picked up some quinoia. I think I will try your porridge. Just have to remember where i saw your recipe.

Thanks for the recommendation! Luckily, I seem to be okay with high protein and fat foods...not so good with starchy carbs, so her recipes will work well with me! Especially those with almond and coconut flours. Like you said, they are really dense so you don't need a whole lot and they stay with you for a long time, as far as keeping you full!

Oh good, her recipes are very clean but could be high in calories. I don't know. It is interesting learning what we can and can't eat. Sometime this week I will try quinoia to see if that works for me. I tried Yogurt and berries last night in lieu of the bars. Not sure if I liked that. Felt different in the evening. So, I will have to find other snack options. I eat 1-2 bars in a sitting.

Do you guys ever eat cereal for lunch? Do you think that is okay?

2Poles1Girl
05-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Do you guys ever eat cereal for lunch? Do you think that is okay?

Yes, I had it for lunch yesterday. I swapped out my carb dinner because I wanted the red meat offered last night, so...it was an All Bran lunch, lol.

purple sky
05-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanx, 2Poles1Girl, because yesterday I was craving it

So, I have been doing mainly P3 . I know I need to graduate soon but it works mostly. It seems to be a comfort zone for me. I want to branch out but I don't seem to be ready. My Simply Bars come next week. Hoping they will wean me off IP bars. I have tried a few other bars and they just don't work.

GoodEatsandWine
05-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Thanx, 2Poles1Girl, because yesterday I was craving it

So, I have been doing mainly P3 . I know I need to graduate soon but it works mostly. It seems to be a comfort zone for me. I want to branch out but I don't seem to be ready. My Simply Bars come next week. Hoping they will wean me off IP bars. I have tried a few other bars and they just don't work.

The IP bars are good, aren't they? To be honest, I've only had the peanut butter crunch bar; because it's so good, it's hard to branch out and try the others. I usually have it with a cup of hot tea...so filling and satisfying! I don't have one everyday. Maybe twice a week but I know I will continue to buy these from IP well into the future. If you like them and they work, why are you switching from IP bars to Simply bars?

purple sky
05-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Cost.
IP bars run over $4 each. I can get a simply bar for half.

Also, the Simply Bar looks to be a lot cleaner to me. They are picky about their ingredients. I can pronounce most of their ingredients and I recognize a lot of them. They use Non GMO soy. And the bars don't have Splenda. They also don't have sugar alcohols which I think some have trouble with.

I don't yet know what my issues are. But, of all the bars I looked at these labels were the easiest to read.

But, will they pass the taste test? With so much removed it will give me a chance to see what I am sensitive too as I was with the bars but ate them anyway. Soy? Splenda? Something else? Who knows?

Oh and I forgot to mention, I was consuming 1.5 to 3 a day sometimes. Kind of became a problem. Okay for short term or travel but not a good long term option.

CassiR
05-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Hey all! I'm back from vacation. It was amazing and I'm sad that all my family is gone again. Anyways, I think I gained a few pounds before even going on vacation as I was struggling with beginning phase 4. The scale is way up from vacation so I started phase 1 today. I'll probably do it for at least more than a week.

I decided since I'm going back to phase 1 that I'll do it until I fit into a size 4 comfortably. I could fit into a 4 when I met my goal but they were uncomfortably tight. It feels good to be back in the simplicity of phase 1.

I'm meeting with my coach before I phase out again to talk about p4. I think adding in exercise as phasing out made it too complicated for me and also made me extra hungry. I will stick to my spin class though because it's so much fun.

purple sky
05-29-2012, 02:02 PM
CassiR, Oh Goodie. So glad you had a good vacation.

My understanding is that the skin reattaches itself if that makes sense. I did not understand at first but it feels like my body has been taking shape more. I definitely noticed a difference in the clothes I was wearing yesterday. I was looking for an explanation for why I was able to get into smaller sizes and that's what I came up with. Because the scale did not necessarily go down.

I am still doing my P3ish deal. Seems to work for me. I like the veggie burgers at lunch. I need to be more daring at dinner and try more carbs. I saw some lo carb tortillas and low calories tortillas. Might try a wrap or something.

VickiR
05-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Hey everybody,

I'm back from vacation too. I was up 8 pounds!!! I did really good the first 3 days but then decided to indulge- like crazy! Went back on P1 for most of last week but felt so horrible b/c of some lingering vacation stomach issues and cheated this past Friday night w/ popcorn. Anyway, long story short, back on P1 since Sunday, weighed in today and I'm 2 pounds less than before I left for vacation! Yay! I'm going to go for 6 or 7 more pounds (to prepare for the P3 3lb gain) and phase off again.
Glad to see everyone is still doing great!

CassiR
05-29-2012, 08:28 PM
CassiR, Oh Goodie. So glad you had a good vacation.

My understanding is that the skin reattaches itself if that makes sense. I did not understand at first but it feels like my body has been taking shape more. I definitely noticed a difference in the clothes I was wearing yesterday. I was looking for an explanation for why I was able to get into smaller sizes and that's what I came up with. Because the scale did not necessarily go down.

I am still doing my P3ish deal. Seems to work for me. I like the veggie burgers at lunch. I need to be more daring at dinner and try more carbs. I saw some lo carb tortillas and low calories tortillas. Might try a wrap or something.
Thanks purple. I love my veggie burger but sadly I may need to cut them out. Ugh. I'm breaking out severely on my cheeks and after some thinking, it may be a soy reaction. I'm not sure. It's not exactly acne though. It may be stress. But when I went on vacation I was in the sun a lot and I think it irritated it. Now my cheeks have deep redness. I will probably go to the doctor before I try cutting out soy though because it's not acne. I know since starting the diet in Feb my skin has been rough. I thought it'd go away but hasn't.

I'm glad p3 is working for you! I may need to do p3 too before I'm comfortable with adding in carbs again for dinner.
Hey everybody,

I'm back from vacation too. I was up 8 pounds!!! I did really good the first 3 days but then decided to indulge- like crazy! Went back on P1 for most of last week but felt so horrible b/c of some lingering vacation stomach issues and cheated this past Friday night w/ popcorn. Anyway, long story short, back on P1 since Sunday, weighed in today and I'm 2 pounds less than before I left for vacation! Yay! I'm going to go for 6 or 7 more pounds (to prepare for the P3 3lb gain) and phase off again.
Glad to see everyone is still doing great!

Welcome back too! I was also up 8 lbs but after only one day I'm down 2 of those 8. Went to see my coach today after breakfast (even wore jeans :P) and according to her scale I'm up 6lbs. I started p1 yesterday. It's exciting to see the scale go down again. I'm also trying to go a bit below my goal this time for p3 and p4 gain.

purple sky
05-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Ah 8 pounds. That means you guys ate well.

I haven't tried the soy veggie burgers yet. I found a black bean chipotle.

Now soy is tricky. I am playing around with it because I just had a simply bar today and it worked wonderfully. I had originally given them to DH because I had a reaction. So I am wondering with me if I have to learn to work with soy. I cannot do soy milk, at all. I know that. But, I have to admit I had one bar in my purse and grabbed it and ate it and felt better and no cravings. With IP, I cannot stop at one bar. With this one I was satiated. No headaches. No weirdness. Now, they also use non-GMO soy. Don't know if that made a difference. The truth is that I think sucralose causes cravings in me. I am still playing around with things. I do believe sugar is a problem for me, possibly over other carbs so that is why I am so focused on it now. Because if it is not the soy and rather the sweeteners that gives me something to work with.

Anyway, glad to hear you guys had fun and will be figuring out your way back. I think it is also really good to do this at the beginning of P4. Then, you come back and start fresh.

CassiR
05-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Yes, I indulged. My sister and I have been dieting for the past 5 months and we decided we were going to let loose and enjoy our vacation. I'm down 4 lbs in 2 days of p1. I've never seen the scale move so quickly!

My sister went back on her diet of eating healthy and exercising and when I told her that i'd be back to what I was in a week or two she asked me for more info about IP. :D She doesnt have the budget for the IP plan but I gave her a phase 2 sheet and told her about the alternatives she can buy from walmart and nashua. She's started a phase 2 today on EAS shakes and atkins bars!! I'm so excited for her!

I'm thinking of going to see my doctor before cutting out soy. I've never had this problem before. I also havent gone back to the bars yet... dk if i will. I'm doing non-restricteds in p1 as I want to lose all the weight I gained super quick. It might not even make a difference but I dont have the crazy cravings I had when eating the bars. I do an omelet packet for my snack instead and I'm enjoying that.

Momto2cs
05-30-2012, 10:57 AM
I find those simply bars delicious and filling. And much easier than trying to figure out different snacks and prepping them to bring to work!

purple sky
05-30-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm thinking of going to see my doctor before cutting out soy. I've never had this problem before. I also havent gone back to the bars yet... dk if i will. I'm doing non-restricteds in p1 as I want to lose all the weight I gained super quick. It might not even make a difference but I dont have the crazy cravings I had when eating the bars. I do an omelet packet for my snack instead and I'm enjoying that.

Yayyy for sis. And yayy for you getting closer to a comfortable 4. Let me know what you find out with the soy thing. I am still not 100% that is always an issue for me. I just know for certain with soy milk. It was an issue with some of the bars but not all.

I find those simply bars delicious and filling. And much easier than trying to figure out different snacks and prepping them to bring to work!

Momto2cs, I don't know if it was you who recommended these but thank you. They took a while for me to get used to because they weren't like the IP bars but they are filling and I don't find myself grabbing for more. They are also not sweet which is ideal for meal time replacement. And they seem like they will be okay in my purse in the summer Just ordered a box of the cinnamon pecan. Did not like the coffee one. And I do like chocolate covered espresso beans. This just tasted like the beans.

CassiR
06-01-2012, 11:15 AM
After 4 full days of p1, yesterday I was really hungry getting home from work. It was 6:30 and I hadn't eaten since 11:30am. Anyways, I decided to have a bar while I was cooking dinner. Bad idea! I havent had any restricteds and was dropping a lot of what I had gained while on vaca (I was down 4 lbs in 3 days of p1). That one bar turned into two which turned into apple chips. Then on top of that the DH and I decided spontaniously to go to dinner since it was his birthday. I had my favorite dish and pumpkin pie.
To my surprise, I'm only up 0.6lbs this morning. It was a tiny cheat meal.

Oh well. I had to get it off my chest. I'm back in p1 today. I have WI on monday evening so I hope to be back at goal weight by then. If not, that's fine. I'll just keep doing p1. No rush. It's not so bad this time around without the restricteds! They are just too much for me.. I can't have just one! I thought about getting the simply bars but decided I can do without. Budget is tough right now anyways. I need to prepare boiled eggs for days when I'm ravenously hungry or something.

Oh also, update on my sister starting IP on alternatives! She's down 5 lbs in 2 full days. Woo Hoo!! I'm so glad she's sticking to it.

purple sky
06-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Those bars are tricky. I don't remember having this problem on P1 unless I was more disciplined then.

Simply Bars are better than IP when it comes to the snarfing problem but I still can't get down to 1 bar a day.

And Atkins is just trouble for me. I got into one the other day and cause of the cost (my logic) I ate another. Right? 2 bucks vs. the almost $9 for 2 IP bars. Then for some crazy reason a bit later I ate the Simply Bar thinking it wold stop the problem. 3 bars down and I am like still under $5 so I think I am good. Nope.

There is something called Sugar Alcohols. And while in the past I may have noticed a smidge of gas. You down two of those in 1 sitting and you are in for a rough evening. All kinds of unladylike aromas and sounds were coming out of me, for hours and hours. It was so unpleasant and super funny.

So, back to the drawing board. I think I am doing okay otherwise with my P3ish deal but these bars are a problem. I don't crave nuts. But, I need to try something else.

Yesterday I was like a crackhead searching for them. I called DH at work several times asking him where they were. He told me he took them to work because I told him to do that. Then I thought I could just run to Walmart which I hate to do for one $5 item.

When I put on weight I did not have a problem with binge eating or addictive stuff so this behavior is kind of surprising to me. I was never like this with booze or anything. This is not me. I made poor choices when I ate and I over ate or underate. Both, I guess. But, I could always set a limit. 1 cookie was always enough. Sometimes 2. 1 Slice of cake. Whatever it was.

But, with these bars I am like a crackhead. It also seems to override the good work I am doing with my P1ish lunches and dinners and sticking to a sensible P3 breakfast.

BTW, some of this is carry over from vacation. I leaned on the bars more than normal while traveling to compensate for some of the lower calorie/fat items I was eating for meals. Kept me from being overly hungry or making t choices my tummy might later regret. Also got in the habit of daily Americano's which always has to be accompanied by a bar. Same with afternoon iced coffee. I am working on cutting back the extra coffees thinking that might helped. I used to only drink it in the morning. I need to go back to that.

I really think I have a sugar problem. This also concerns me in terms in the future when I start adding back more carbs. Will I go overboard with those also.

CassiR
06-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Just seen your reply!
It's been a lot harder sticking to p1 this time around. So far only had that one slip though. Tonight it's really hard though! I'm 1 pound away from pre-vacation weight but need to get below goal so I can settle at goal after phasing out again.

The bars are bad. BAD!! I did have a cran granata bar today and I didn't feel like I wanted another one. Maybe it's just the chocolate ones? Hmm
Thats funny about the sugar alcohols though. I too was never like a crazy person wanting to get food. It was just a lot of bad choices as soon as I moved out on my own. But I was never ravenous about food. Now it's all different. When I'm so restricted it's all I can think about! And on cheat days I go crazy to the point where my stomach hurts.

I don't know but does this mean we have sort of an obsession now? I feel like we're always being restricted now and it makes me want the things I cannot have. Even the things I didn't even want pre-diet. Was I happier as I was gaining weight? I didn't gain the weight overnight but now if I ate (and drank) things that I did before I'd definitely gain rapidly. Not sure where i'm going here and just rambling. I'm in one of those moods because I can't have what i want. Sorry!

purple sky
06-03-2012, 10:48 PM
You're in my head.

In recent days I have tried a few things that seem to be helping a little.

Cut out/reduced afternoon and evening coffee because they made me want bars. Switched to salty IP snacks. I don't overeat salty. I stopped the IP and Atkins bars and reduced my MIO intake. All trigger crazy cravings. Also tried fruit and yogurt as an evening snack. I am not too crazy about that because I reserve it for breakfast. Doesn't taste as good in the evening. But, eventually I have to move towards 100% real food.

I saw a good number on the scale today so I am hoping things are back to normal. Between some crazy cravings, and excessive flatulence and not good bathroom time, I was starting to grow concerned. Since I never really moved into P4, just a little.

It can be a little scary to have something have control or power over you.. The body can override your sense of reason. But going forward, what else will trigger this? I don't honestly know how to gently re-introduce items back into our lives without possibly going overboard. I see that big white loaf of French bread at the grocery store (you know fresh out of the oven in the evening) and I wonder if I would eat it in one sitting. But would I really do P1 the next day? Lots of trial and error but we will get there just like we helped each other through P3. We will. This just seems to require more feeling bad in the tummy.

savide
12-13-2012, 02:02 AM
Thank you so much!!!!! This was the most helpful document. Not as scripted as Phase One, but goes a long way in making it understandable.

Lesley
03-22-2013, 10:08 AM
BUMP! So happy I found this! There is a TON of great info on this thread!! Exactly what I was looking for.

postalmarke
08-11-2013, 01:11 PM
In Phase 4 are starchy veggies permitted for lunch as well as dinner? I must admit I am confused and frightened about adding these veggies into these meals and how to calculate the carbs.

Q #1: Is there a list somewhere listing carbs for veggies and fruits?

Q #2: Once in Maintenance is there a total carb intake for the entire day one should stay under - a formula would be nice since I plan meals for both myself (130 lbs-not active) and my hubby (191 lbs - active job). I know IP is not the kind of diet plan to count calories but I'm finding this very difficult to incorporate carbs back into dinner without a guideline for our two different bodies!

Q #3: I've seen 2 different handouts; one with protein at both lunch and dinner; and one with the protein only at lunch. In maintenance, my coach told us to split the protein into all 3 meals equally (or as equally as possible) so I'm totally turned around on this part. I know it doesn't matter if you go over protein esp. if its lean (at dinner) but this maintenance is more confusing than I every imagined.

lisa32989
08-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Here is the most recent P4 protocol and some supporting info

To find carbs in veggies/fruits go to http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Everyone will find a different level of carbs/calories that work for them for maintenance so keeping track is key! My Fitness Pal works for me and worked well while I phased off over the summer to boost my thyroid function.

onmyway1014
08-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Lisa -

Thank you for the phase 4 meal planner - My clinic did not provide anything like this at their maintenance workshop. It looks like a great way to keep track since the journal they provide is really best suited for phase 1 & 2.

Maxxy
12-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Just thought I would bump this thread.

I am a maintenance newbie and I found some good info on here.

Do many of you split breakfast or do a full phase 3 breakfast? Ive read that some stretch out the big P3 breakfast? Thoughts?

Slipfree
06-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Bump- very helpful read if you are nervous about transitioning to Phase 4.

canadjineh
07-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Bumped for Berta54758 - You go girl!:D

dana135
07-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Hello everyone!
I hit my goal weight of 150 (loss of 50 lbs!!) last summer and have managed to keep it off for a year. However, the year has been a struggle of up a few down a few. I've learned that I can't drink and stay at a constant weight. However, I don't think I ever learned how to "do" phase 4. So today at 160 I am going to commit to phase 1 for a month (not just until the scale says 150) and then DO phase 4 the right way. Before when I hit my goal weight I just started eating generally low carb - which isn't bad - it's just not "protocol". It seems that 1-3 phases were very strict and then four was too vague for me to adhere. Well, I am going to try to embed it on my brain and do better this time. Last time, I didn't want to do the one cheat day but now I think that is how I can get my love of cupcakes and vodka sugar-free kahulua white russians (which I tricked myself into thinking were ok because half and half and vodka are both low-carb! :-)
Thanks for all the help and discussions - I think 4 is making more sense to me.

evemomma
09-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Bumping this thread for myself and others who are going to be phasing off soon. I found it VERY helpful and jotted ideas down in ultimately what is the "Phase 4 meal planner" document posted several times in here but most recently by Lisa not too many posts prior to this one.

canadjineh
09-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Hahaha, I got a meal planner sheet with my P4 info, and looked at it but never really ended up using it... I'm sure it's stuffed away somewhere in my folders along with the other Phase 4 info.