Weight Loss Support - Icecream

View Full Version : Icecream

want2bskine
05-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Ok...I am getting to where I have to have icecream everyday!! I know that's bad right?! I am really having a craving for it. Even an icecream sandwich will do. Ahhhhh...I need help! lol How do you stop the cravings??

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Is eating ice cream every day preventing you from losing? Are you having trouble controlling how much you eat of it? Are you hungry?

My mother lost weight and maintained it, all while having 1/2 cup ice cream every day as a snack. Since she was counting calories, she had that as a dairy serving -- and her dietician said that was fine.

While I don't believe in "good" foods vs "bad" foods, some may be healthier than others (just meaning some have higher nutrient values than others). As some like to say here (a lot), it is the amount you eat that is the issue.

munchievictim
05-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Stop eating it! Hate to say it cause I know it sucks to hear but the more you eat sugar, the more you crave it. You could switch to skinny cow or sherbet, though I overeat both. I switched to Popsicles and was eating like 6 a day. Serious sugar habit. So I stopped eating simple carbs and there's Popsicles and sherbet and chocolate in my freezer that I don't even daydream about. Lol. I have some once in awhile now that I've mastered my cravings.

munchievictim
05-09-2012, 07:41 PM
But I was a diehard calorie counter for years and believe if you can eat it in moderation it won't hurt you at all. I'm low carb because I'm prediabetic but I've noticed lack of sugar craving as a very positive side effect.

ValRock
05-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Get rid of it!!!!

RicecakeEater
05-09-2012, 07:42 PM
I have ice cream bars for dessert after dinner quite often. I'll admit I go over my daily sugar almost every day, and the ice cream is a top contributor, but I find that it's completely worth it. I LOVE ice cream and I don't care if it's sugary- it's delicious. Having a 100 cal portion satisfies me for the day and doesn't make me sick from huge amounts of sugar either. :) The most important thing: I am still losing weight!

Good luck!

munchievictim
Get rid of it!!!!

Lol yep.

want2bskine
No I don't think so, I haven't really gained any weight from it. TOM is in 10 days, maybe that's the reason too. I'm controlling it, but right now I could put a hurting on a gallon of chocolate lol! You know what makes me gain weight? Is french fries! and french fries are good with a frosty...oh let me stop! lol

munchievictim
05-09-2012, 07:45 PM
No I don't think so, I haven't really gained any weight from it. TOM is in 10 days, maybe that's the reason too. I'm controlling it, but right now I could put a hurting on a gallon of chocolate lol! You know what makes me gain weight? Is french fries! and french fries are good with a frosty...oh let me stop! lol

OMG haha French fries and a ******* frosty. How I miss that glorious combo lol. I would like one right now!

But I'm going to have earl gray tea with Splenda instead :carrot::carrot:

want2bskine
05-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Boy I used to be a BAD sugarholic..lol. Before I decided to lose weight I would eat chocolate like it was going out of style. I craved it, and yes it is a serious addiction. Dove is my favorite chocolate! But since I started dieting and eating better in Jan, my cravings went away...now I think since we went on vacation last week and I splurged with the sugar...haha...I'm craving it now.

want2bskine
05-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Rice cake eater that's awesome you can have some and still lose! I think we all could if we watched our portion size.

munchievictim...Wendy's fries and frosty! great combo

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-09-2012, 07:53 PM
If it's a problem for you, then don't eat it; but you will find people who eat it occasionally with no ill effects. It's up to you. You know yourself better than we do ... ;)

meltitaway
05-09-2012, 08:05 PM
We eat a half cup of light ice cream whenever we want for a snack. It isn't necessarily every day, but when we feel like it, we work it in! It doesn't seem to be impacting our weightloss. We calorie count...sooo...for us it works!

want2bskine
05-09-2012, 08:10 PM
cool thanks meltitaway, Im gonna count it in and see how it goes for a few weeks. lol but being close to TOM might throw it off a little, because I gain a little water weight anyway.

SoCalCowgirl
05-09-2012, 08:21 PM
this thread is killing me! I haven't had ice cream in forever!!!! wendy's chocolate frosty and fries used to be my favorite! I used to have two to three heaping scoops of ice cream every night right before bed, back before I started my diet. Now this thread just brings back all those memories! Though I would agree with some of the others and just keep the portion size small. I may have to do the same, as it's been way to long since i've had icecream. Man now I'm starting to crave it now lol

sontaikle
05-09-2012, 08:25 PM
A protein shake with a lot of crushed ice mixed in makes for a satisfying alternative to ice cream for me.

Otherwise, make your own! Ice cream makers are pretty cheap and you can make your own healthier alternative :) Banana ice cream, for example, doesn't really require anything but frozen bananas.

OhThePlaces
05-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Last spring/summer I went from 165 to 132 while eating ice cream almost every night! :) My husband was depolyed and so my two babies and I would eat dinner at my parents' house and my mom and I always had a serving after. I just made sure to measure it out (either a half cup, or quarter cup, yes the small serving took getting used to) and made sure it fit into my calorie budget for the day.

(BTW... I managed to regain 15 lbs this winter/spring and haven't had ice cream since the summer! Go figure!)

want2bskine
05-09-2012, 09:14 PM
SoCalCowgirl - I'm Sorry!!! lol! didn't mean to make ya crave icecream! haha. But really I watch that show drivers, diners, and dives and my mouth just waters!

Sonktaikle - That sounds good, and making your own icecream is a cool idea!

Ohtheplaces - Im gonna start counting it in!! Im sure I could get used to the size. I like skinny cow..strawberry cheesecake! mmmmm

pixelllate
05-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Arctic Zero 150 cal ice cream. I used to eat one of those a day until I stopped eating it entirely.
I know the feeling WAY too well, but I think that if you feel that way about any sweet, you should try to wean yourself off of it till you want it as more of a sometimes treat and not an everyday craving. I just go cold turkey, really for me, the "pain" of cutting it out only lasted 2 weeks and after that its so much better, plus I felt way accomplished!

electrongirl
05-09-2012, 09:36 PM
I still have ice cream, but I measure it out and track it, instead of eating it out of the container like I used to!

I can't cut things out completely otherwise I would binge. I just fit it into my plan.

natamars
05-09-2012, 09:41 PM
I don't see a problem with having it every day if you exercise portion control. I had been having problems with measuring out really generous half-cups(or not measuring at all), so I'm back to buying single serve things like fudgicles or ice cream sandwiches.

auroragrl
05-09-2012, 09:43 PM
what about weight watchers ice cream?

guacamole
05-09-2012, 10:04 PM
I have ice cream every so often. I don't keep it in the house...I go to an ice cream shop and get a single portion for a treat. If it were in my freezer, I would eat it every day!

packgirl
05-09-2012, 10:25 PM
You can try two things. Do without or enjoy it in moderation. I think a 1/2 cup would be a bit much every single day. But, once in a while wouldn't be so bad. If you can't have just a little and be done, then you'll have to go without completely. How? Who knows!

I'm not restricting myself from anything. But I am being a lot more careful with how much and how often.

You can do it.

Another idea, I'm not a big fan of for myself because I'm trying to not go with fake, processed foods...but! A cool whip sandwich. Take two chocolate graham crackers, put some cool whip between to form a sandwich and freeze! It's pretty darn good!

Natasha22
05-09-2012, 10:52 PM
I'd have some ice cream occasionally if I were you, just not everyday. I have ridiculous cravings before TOM, I keep them under control by just focusing on something else, like cleaning the house or working out, it needs to be some sort of physical activity.

sunshauna
05-09-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm a recovering ice creamaholic....my freezer used to look like Baskin Robbins 31 flavors! :) I'll second the idea of replacing it with frozen fruit! Frozen blueberries, yum! You can get really creative with all sorts of fruit blended with a frozen banana and ice cubes. You could also replace your ice cream with some occasional nonfat frozen yogurt and fruit.

(And if you're blessed by knowing anyone who has a Champion juicer, borrow it! Take out the juicing screen and replace it with the "blank." Put in your frozen fruit and it comes out exactly like soft serve ice cream). :)

ValRock
05-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Great guys, I had to go make a protein smoothie :P. This discussion is dangerous.

Stephanie987
05-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Oh I miss ice cream and fries! I kicked it hard and am not meant to have it cos I'm lactose intol,
I'd either kick and and see how you feel a few days without it or portion control it and only have it every few days and factor it in, I'm new to calorie counting though, I know how hard those cravings are to kick

sunshauna
05-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Great guys, I had to go make a protein smoothie :P. This discussion is dangerous.

Haha.....I avoid reading some threads for that reason.....they can give me a craving. :)

But.....after seeing the pina colada thread, it reminded me of another fruit smoothie......throw a can of pineapple in the blender and add your frozen bananas and strawberries. Yum! No need to miss ice cream. :)

Stephanie987
05-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Haha.....I avoid reading some threads for that reason.....they can give me a craving. :)

But.....after seeing the pina colada thread, it reminded me of another fruit smoothie......throw a can of pineapple in the blender and add your frozen bananas and strawberries. Yum! No need to miss ice cream. :)

That sounds pretty good!

luckystreak
05-10-2012, 12:29 AM
I'm sure you can sneak some froyo in every 2 days. Froyo tastes sooo much like ice cream, I prefer it over any kind of ice cream now.. soft-serve texture> creamy ice cream.

Anywho, skinny cow does great ice cream for very little calories. give it a go!

want2bskine
05-10-2012, 09:03 AM
I think fruit smoothies would help curve the craving. I like the idea of frozen fruit too. I don't do the gallon icecreams, gave them up a long time ago..I would fill a bowl up for sure! I just have single serving icecream now...and probably when they are gone I won't buy anymore! The graham cracker and whipped cream is a cool idea! I will have to try it.

luckymommy
05-10-2012, 09:32 AM
The Cool Whip Sandwich is a great idea! Thanks so much!

krampus
05-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Mixing frozen fruit and milk in a blender/food processor can produce very similar results to ice cream...the texture and creaminess suggests that it's even more decadent than the real thing, and the only sugar you're getting is from the fruit. It's GREAT if you're looking for ice cream alternatives.

Or just eat ice cream if you can stop yourself before you're staring into the bottom of a bucket.

sontaikle
05-10-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm sure you can sneak some froyo in every 2 days. Froyo tastes sooo much like ice cream, I prefer it over any kind of ice cream now.. soft-serve texture> creamy ice cream.

Anywho, skinny cow does great ice cream for very little calories. give it a go!

Oh my gosh, frozen yogurt! Now I want to go to Red Mango. Thank goodness there aren't any near work :p

Munchy
05-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Banana ice cream, for example, doesn't really require anything but frozen bananas.

Yep! Banana ice cream (http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-w-93414) is awesome if you're looking for something cold and creamy.

SisterFunk
05-10-2012, 11:28 AM
The only ice cream you will find in our freezer is from Skinny Cow. Everything I've tried of theirs is pretty good. Plus it's portioned out so it is easy to stop at one.

PhillyGirl2012
05-10-2012, 11:37 AM
I don't believe in depriving, but you must remove it if its an uncontrollable urge. I had a big bowl of light breyers ice cream last weekend and it was worked into my calories. It was measured along with the slivered almonds and it was delish. I also love So Delicious Coconut Almond Bars. If at the end of the day I have calories to account for it I will have it. With adding it into your calories though, don't sacrifice a meal to make room for it.

Beach Patrol
05-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Yummmm... icccceeeee creaaammmmmmmmm!!!!!! :dizzy:

Part of the reason why I count calories, and why I've been able to stick to it for over 2 years, is that I make sure I get my "yummy treat" each day. Quite often, that treat is ice cream. In its many different forms! - Breyers Vanilla w/Bean Specks is the BEST vanilla ice cream on the planet, and it's simply made. 1/2 cup has only 130 calories. I can work with that! Add some fresh cut strawberries and a dollop of Cool Whip Lite and WALLAH! - awesome dessert without going over my calorie count for the day!

Breyers also has the Fruit Bars (my fav is the strawberry/orange/raspberry) and they are 40 calories per bar. QUITE yummy! - and at 40 calories each? I can have two!!!

I also enjoy the Skinny Cow line. And Weight Watchers Giant Chocolate Fudge Bar has only 110 calories - and WOW - it really IS giant!!

I am currently eating Fudge Pops for dessert - and like the Breyers Fruit Bars, one pop has only 40 calories, so I can safely eat 2 & still remain well within my caloric range for the day. Gotta love a 2-fer!!! :D

Point is, there are MANY MANY choices out there. Ya just gotta find a few that work for you, and practice PORTION CONTROL (which, I know, easier said than done!) - if I had to cut out all the things I love, I'd never lose weight. Thank the goddesses I don't have to! :)

PinkLotus
05-10-2012, 01:04 PM
I have one mini ice cream sandwich everyday. I look forward to it, and it hasn't hindered my weight loss at all.
I also freeze bananas and blend them up a bit - tastes almost exactly like ice cream. Add a little cocoa powder and you have chocolate ice cream.

XLMuffnTop
05-10-2012, 02:32 PM
If I really want a milkshake like product, I'll take Arctic Zero Chocolate ice cream (I don't like it by itself) and blend it with a banana, almond milk and extra unsweetened cocoa powder. It's pretty darn good and fairly low in calories especially if my kids and DH get to it first and I only get a 1/2 cup. :D

MsBrightside
05-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Ugh. Now I want some icecream!! Probably will get something from skinny cow over the weekend. I always see it but never get it. Lol. I think I will now. Thanks guys!

mammasita
05-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Yep! Banana ice cream (http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-w-93414) is awesome if you're looking for something cold and creamy.

YES! I feel like I'm cheating when I blend up and eat frozen bananas. Add some cocoa powder and its sinful!

Munchy
05-10-2012, 03:02 PM
YES! I feel like I'm cheating when I blend up and eat frozen bananas. Add some cocoa powder and its sinful!

I love to add 1/2T natural peanut butter, but my daughter likes some nutella blended in or to stir in chocolate chips. :devil:

Vex
05-10-2012, 08:56 PM
I have ice cream every night. I have a strawberry cheesecake between vanilla cookies sandwich from Schwan's. 150 calories. Hits the spot completely.

Some things I'm just not giving up. If it fits within your plan and it doesn't make you want more, do it.

IMO, complete deprivation is why most weight loss fails in the long haul.