Exercise! - Any Cyclists Out There?

View Full Version : Any Cyclists Out There?

LAgreeneyes
05-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Wondering if there are any cyclist out there that would like to share their stories, post pics of your bikes, share weight loss stories, etc? Looking forward to hearing from you.

mkroyer
05-09-2012, 07:11 PM
i just bought my very first road bike!!!

philana
05-10-2012, 03:56 AM
Not yet, but I've been hoping to save up for a roadbike for a year now. I mean, I am from the Netherlands so we all cycle to work and back. But that's obviously not the kind of cycling we're discussing here.

If all goes well I can buy a cheap second hand one by the end of this month or the end of next month. I am soooo excited.

Milly1
05-10-2012, 04:14 AM
Me me me!!! Nothing too athletic though. Have cycled for many years usually between 3 and 7 miles. Fair weather though so not so much in winter!! Mountain bike, silver colour. No pics, not a picture kind of person. Definitely helps with my back problems and strengthing my legs. Can't say if it's helped me lose weight but definitely prevented me from putting it on. Hope you have good places to cycle and can enjoy your outings, I love pushing myself a bit farther and feeling fitter. HTH.

LAgreeneyes
05-10-2012, 01:26 PM
i just bought my very first road bike!!!

What kind did you buy?????? I wanna see!!!!!! :carrot:

LAgreeneyes
05-10-2012, 01:27 PM
I can't wait to get my bike (one day). I want to experience the road!!!!

tea2
05-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Me! I LOVE my road bike. It's one of the things I have kept doing :D even
though I have gained quite a bit of my weight back :( (From eating, not cycling, lol).

LAgreeneyes
05-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Me! I LOVE my road bike. It's one of the things I have kept doing :D even
though I have gained quite a bit of my weight back :( (From eating, not cycling, lol).

Do you have a pic of your road bike? I would love to see it.

tea2
05-10-2012, 04:10 PM
I think it should show up in my avatar now. :D

LAgreeneyes
05-10-2012, 04:11 PM
I think it should show up in my avatar now. :D

Ooooooooooooo, I like !!!!!!!!!!!!! :carrot:

Thanks for sharing.

guacamole
05-10-2012, 07:14 PM
I got a bike about 2 months ago. I've ridden a handful of times due to weather, but I love it and hope to ride more...

philana
05-12-2012, 11:38 AM
ladies! I am buying this bike on monday!!

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3484/168q.jpg

-
It's gonna be the first time I am gonna get into bicycle racing - though I do everything by bike here, just a normal city bike. I am looking into gear I need to buy and am wondering - are the pants with pads really what you need? It looks so silly and uncomfortable. I plan on building up to riding for 3 to 4 hours so it should sit comfortable obviously.

I am sooo excited. I've been wanting to buy a bike for 2yrs. But first I was just not active, and then I started to get active last year and I told myself if I would be fit by summer this year I'd get myself a bike. And I am pretty dang fit now and also won't be too emberassed to get in the tight riding clothes. lol.

shananigans
05-12-2012, 05:15 PM
I have an old Chimo Concourse that I bought at a garage sale for $12.50 a few years ago. Put some new tires on it and a rack for a basket on the back and it works just fine for my purposes. The gears are a bit tricky, but I've got them figured out well enough. I ride to/from school a few days a week (9 miles round trip) and occasionally do rides for fun or errands on the weekend. I've been taking a break from running due to plantar fasciitis in my right foot, so I'm trying to bike more. Did 14 miles today biking to/from the farmers market. :)

tea2
05-14-2012, 01:56 PM
That is a nice bike, philana! You will find after a long distance ride of 3-4 hours that you won't care about the silly-looking shorts :D--either that, or you'll be riding with other silly-looking people in shorts. :dizzy: Another thing you can try if you are uncomfortable is a different saddle.

LAgreeneyes
05-14-2012, 01:58 PM
ladies! I am buying this bike on monday!!

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3484/168q.jpg

-
It's gonna be the first time I am gonna get into bicycle racing - though I do everything by bike here, just a normal city bike. I am looking into gear I need to buy and am wondering - are the pants with pads really what you need? It looks so silly and uncomfortable. I plan on building up to riding for 3 to 4 hours so it should sit comfortable obviously.

I am sooo excited. I've been wanting to buy a bike for 2yrs. But first I was just not active, and then I started to get active last year and I told myself if I would be fit by summer this year I'd get myself a bike. And I am pretty dang fit now and also won't be too emberassed to get in the tight riding clothes. lol.

NICE!!!

philana
05-14-2012, 02:24 PM
I just bought it! I am so excited! Want to go out and ride it but have to buy a helmet first, and have to check and fit it properly before I go bananas on the cyclinglanes along the river here.

I'm a beginner with this kind of thing, so any tips are welcome!

lobon
05-18-2012, 09:31 AM
a professional bike fit and a properly fitting helmet are the two very first things to do. after that you'll need good sunglasses to protect your eyes from flying stuff- I like the sets that have interchangable lenses- clear, light, and dark so you can protect your eyes but not worry about having trouble seeing properly during a race.

the goofy shorts and jerseys will be more important the longer you ride. the shorts (and a good cream like chamois butter) will allow you to ride long hours without soreness. btw those shorts are made to be worn with no underwear. the jerseys have those built in pockets in the back which you'll need for snacks to keep energy up on rides longer than 1 hour. for shorter rides/races, you can usually do fine with water or sports drink.

if you aren't using them already, transitioning to clipless pedals will be really useful when racing or on long rides. these basically stick your foot to the pedal so you can push down AND pull up with every pedal stroke. a set of shoes and pedals can cost ~$200 US. not essential- but handy once you get into more serious riding.

ENJOY!!!

philana
05-27-2012, 03:35 PM
I got all my gear yesterday and finally got out there today. Did 21miles at an average speed of 15miles an hour. I am pleased. I LOVED it as much as I hoped I would. I am just amazed at how full of energy I felt afterwards. My heartrate had been up as mucha s when I run for such a long time, but I was way less tired than with running. I could have gone even further. Which I plan to do. But all building it up and such.

LAgreeneyes
05-29-2012, 03:52 PM
I don't have a road bike but I'm practicing on my old bike. I rode 6 miles. LOL. I know that's nothing but it's a start. LOL

LAgreeneyes
06-04-2012, 04:12 PM
a professional bike fit and a properly fitting helmet are the two very first things to do. after that you'll need good sunglasses to protect your eyes from flying stuff- I like the sets that have interchangable lenses- clear, light, and dark so you can protect your eyes but not worry about having trouble seeing properly during a race.

the goofy shorts and jerseys will be more important the longer you ride. the shorts (and a good cream like chamois butter) will allow you to ride long hours without soreness. btw those shorts are made to be worn with no underwear. the jerseys have those built in pockets in the back which you'll need for snacks to keep energy up on rides longer than 1 hour. for shorter rides/races, you can usually do fine with water or sports drink.

if you aren't using them already, transitioning to clipless pedals will be really useful when racing or on long rides. these basically stick your foot to the pedal so you can push down AND pull up with every pedal stroke. a set of shoes and pedals can cost ~$200 US. not essential- but handy once you get into more serious riding.

ENJOY!!!

Thanks for the info!

LAgreeneyes
06-04-2012, 04:13 PM
What target areas do you work when you cycle? I know the legs but any others? Lower Abs? ? ?

Jonjaxmom
06-05-2012, 12:59 AM
I've got a Trek off road bike, but I take it on the road. I have an 8 mile loop that I try to do a couple times a week, sometimes my 10 yr old will join me. I love bike riding. Planning to increase to 2 loops next time out. So awesome feeling the breeze in your hair (under the helmet of course) on a warm summer day!

:bike2:

LAgreeneyes
06-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Hey everyone. I"m up to 6 miles on my bike. I really want to increase to at least 12 miles. Do you think I should go straight from 6 miles to 12 miles immediately or should I do increments of 1 or 2 miles. I have only been biking for 2 weeks. This week is my 3rd week.

Any suggestions?

lobon
06-11-2012, 05:25 PM
LAgreeneyes- if you have the fitness to ride 6 miles, you should be able to pull off 12 now if you pace yourself and drink water regularly on your ride. depending on your speed, 12 miles may be at the range where you need to replace a little carbohydrate too. you can sip a little sports drink while you ride or eat a banana right as you finish.

it depends on your personality- i would try to do a few rides of 6 then 8, 10, 12 or 6-9-12 because I love to celebrate new achievements and "PRs"-personal records. Plus that sets you up for better chance for success ;)

I rode 30 miles recently, my longest by far since back/knee injuries.

My ride! They don't make it anymore so it better not break!!!

LAgreeneyes
06-11-2012, 05:39 PM
LAgreeneyes- if you have the fitness to ride 6 miles, you should be able to pull off 12 now if you pace yourself and drink water regularly on your ride. depending on your speed, 12 miles may be at the range where you need to replace a little carbohydrate too. you can sip a little sports drink while you ride or eat a banana right as you finish.

it depends on your personality- i would try to do a few rides of 6 then 8, 10, 12 or 6-9-12 because I love to celebrate new achievements and "PRs"-personal records. Plus that sets you up for better chance for success ;)

I LOVE your ride! SWEET !!!!!!! Congrats on the 30 miles. How long did it take you?

I will try increments. I will shoot for 8 miles this week, 10 miles next week, and 12 miles week after that. I think that I can do it easily because when I'm done with the 6 miles, I'm not even tired. I'm sweating like a sweat hog and legs are a burning a bit but I feel as if I can do more.

Thanks a lot for your input. Much appreciated!!!:D

How long did it take you to do 30 miles.

EagleRiverDee
06-11-2012, 06:09 PM
I can't really define myself as a cyclist but I am trying to add some cycling in to my fitness routine. I have a Marin Palisades 21 speed hard tail mountain bike (I think- I'm going off memory- and the bike is 5+ years old).

I'm not a very good cyclist, and hills have me huffin' and puffin', but it's great exercise for the legs!

LAgreeneyes
06-11-2012, 06:12 PM
I can't really define myself as a cyclist but I am trying to add some cycling in to my fitness routine. I have a Marin Palisades 21 speed hard tail mountain bike (I think- I'm going off memory- and the bike is 5+ years old).

I'm not a very good cyclist, and hills have me huffin' and puffin', but it's great exercise for the legs!

I wish that we had hills so that I could huff and puff. We just have straight highway. You're so lucky. I am working towards building up my inner thighs. I have a very little bit of cottage cheese fat that is barely noticeable but I know it's there and it needs to be GONE. I am working on getting that outta there.

I am also noticing that my stomach fat is slowly leaving. I'm shrinking a bit in the stomach area. I am able to zip AND button pants up that I couldn't before when I wasn't cycling. I'm happy about that.

The lbs are definitely coming off since I began cycling. :carrot:

philana
06-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Good biking you all! Starts slow if you have to obviously. I did 34miles the other day and I loved it. Burned close to 2000 calories with it, saw some awesome scenery and just... adored it. It feels ike the easiest calorieburn in the world. LOL

I think it's pretty 'easy' for me to go long distance because here in the Netherlands we live on our bike. Our citybike takes us to our first day of school and the last day of University. When we go out with friends we cycle back home. And a lot of people are lucky enough to be able to cycle to work and back too. On holidays we'll take our bikes and cycle like 20miles to the next town or go sightseeing by bike. So being on a bike in itsself is in no way tiring mentally or physically because it's almost second nature. That makes it very easy to switch to a roadbike and endure a long distance.

Just explaining this so you guys don't think I am bragging when I say I did 34miles. Once I can say I did a 100miles I am probably trying to brag yeh. LOL.

philana
06-12-2012, 07:46 AM

I love your bike! Nice!

LAgreeneyes
06-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Good biking you all! Starts slow if you have to obviously. I did 34miles the other day and I loved it. Burned close to 2000 calories with it, saw some awesome scenery and just... adored it. It feels ike the easiest calorieburn in the world. LOL

I think it's pretty 'easy' for me to go long distance because here in the Netherlands we live on our bike. Our citybike takes us to our first day of school and the last day of University. When we go out with friends we cycle back home. And a lot of people are lucky enough to be able to cycle to work and back too. On holidays we'll take our bikes and cycle like 20miles to the next town or go sightseeing by bike. So being on a bike in itsself is in no way tiring mentally or physically because it's almost second nature. That makes it very easy to switch to a roadbike and endure a long distance.

Just explaining this so you guys don't think I am bragging when I say I did 34miles. Once I can say I did a 100miles I am probably trying to brag yeh. LOL.

Thanks for the post. We know you're not bragging. You're just telling us about your GREAT workout. I'm jealous. Keep posting your stats. I'm lovin' it. I love to hear what everyone is doing. That motivates me to get where you're at.

Good job!!!!!! :carrot:

LAgreeneyes
06-12-2012, 11:04 AM
I increased from 6 miles to 8 miles on yesterday. It wasn't too bad. I'll try 8 miles every day this week and then increase to 10 miles next week. I wish I knew how fast I was going. I don't know how to determine if I am cycling at the right speed. I just have a regular ole bike. I know that with a road bike, I"m sure it has some type of reading to let me know how fast I'm going? Can I determine my speed if I calculate the minutes it take me to do a certain number of miles and divide?

How many minutes should it take to cycle 1 mile and at the same time burn the calories that a person needs to burn?

Shades of Gray
06-12-2012, 11:30 PM
I don't know about your calories question, but to calculate your average mph you just need to divide the the miles by the number of minutes it takes and then multiply by 60 (since there are 60 minutes in an hour).

So, if you biked 8 miles in 40 minutes that would be 8 / 40 * 60 = 12 mph. HTH!

LAgreeneyes
06-14-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't know about your calories question, but to calculate your average mph you just need to divide the the miles by the number of minutes it takes and then multiply by 60 (since there are 60 minutes in an hour).

So, if you biked 8 miles in 40 minutes that would be 8 / 40 * 60 = 12 mph. HTH!

PERFECT!!! Thanks for the information.

Rana
06-17-2012, 05:15 PM
I ride too, regularly. I did my first 100 km race earlier this year -- that's approximately 65 miles.

I ride every week, if I can, weather and travel permitting. I ride with a group of friends -- all women -- and we go out on Saturday or Sunday mornings (and sometimes during the week if we can squeeze it in) and usually do 23-27 miles for an easy ride. When we want to do longer we have mapped out rides that can take us to 35 or 45 miles, a 56 miler one and we haven't pushed for the 60-70 one, but many cyclists do that in my city on a regular basis.

We ride around 14-15 mph, with wind and a break in the middle to turn around, fill up on water, eat something.

philana
06-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Just did 17miles in an hour, in the rain and the wind. It was awesome. Hihi!

EagleRiverDee
06-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Just did 17miles in an hour, in the rain and the wind. It was awesome. Hihi!

Nice! Well done. :)