Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #1  
Sam-I-Am

S/C/G: 324/see ticker/170

Height: 5'8

Default starting to get just a little freaked out

i posted once before about being worried about losing too much, too fast. i lost 10 pounds my first week, 7 pounds on week 2, 2 pounds on week 3, and 8 pounds on week 4, which was 2 days ago. i weighed in again today, i usually dont unless its wi day, but it said i am down 8 more pounds (after a large meal, and it was like 3 pm, did not go to bathroom, and drank about 4 bottles of water). if thats the case, in 30 days i lost 34 pounds.

i am not pushing too hard, after week 2 i slowed down on my walking, and i also upped my allowed calories for the day by over 500. i am eating about 2300 calories a day, and only walking 3 to 4 days a week

should i be worried? sure i want to lose, and i am happy to see the scale say 290, when last month it said 324, but i dont want to get sick or something....
samcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #2  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Wow! That's really great! It sounds like you're being smart about diet and exercise, so you probably don't need to worry about the big losses. Enjoy them because I suspect it will slow down as you get smaller.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

It is true that as one gets larger, the more calories they require to maintain that weight. I think that you are most likely going to see a slow down as you lose more, especially if you keep the same calorie level. If you are concerned, get an exam and bloodwork to make sure, otherwise just go with it.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #4  
Sam-I-Am

S/C/G: 324/see ticker/170

Height: 5'8

i think i may get checked out just to ease my nerves. my mother in law is getting me overly concerned i think!

i also havent been to a hospital since i broke my arm when i was 12.... so i think a visit is probably due
samcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Going to the doctor for a physical is never a bad idea but if your micronutrient needs are being met (which is pretty easy to do on far fewer calories) you've most likely got nothing to be concerned about.

Our bodies are well adapted to add fat when energy is abundant and to use those fat stores when energy is not.

Don't worry and enjoy the fact that you're doing well.

Regarding exercise - if you enjoy it - go for it! Just pay attention to how you feel and if you're feeling over taxed you can take your foot off the pedal a bit. So long as you don't try to do too much too fast your body will adapt rapidly to the inputs it is getting. There is nothing to stop you from running a marathon some day if that is your goal. Don't be afraid to push your body it can handle a lot.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #6  

Height: 5'4

First of all, you've lost 27 pounds in 4 weeks... that's amazing! Thats almost a pound a day! At the risk of sounding insensitive, at your size if you really put in the work that's not something you should be too concerned with... you do have a good bit of extra.

As others have said, the weight loss will likely slow down so hopefully that will asuage some of your fears. It looks like you're eating a nice healthy amount of calories and getting just enough exercise... it's nice to see!

Just remember that as you continue to lose you'll have to adjust your diet and workouts to match your new, smaller frame.

Seriously though, congratulations. That's really inspiring. That's Biggest Loser type numbers and you're doing it on your own!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

I think as long as you're being smart about your weight loss - ie, concerned it might be too much too fast! - then you're on the right track. Get a check up from a doc, that is definitely a good idea whatever the case may be. They may have some insights about what losses would be healthiest for you/some tips.
Just don't get discouraged if/when this rapid weight loss slows down!!
Great job!
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote