Old 05-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 171/164/140

Height: 5'5

Default Who juices?

I've heard that juicing is the most fantastic thing out there I've got a book, a Jack LaLane juicer, now I need to learn how to love the taste of chard and kale and artichoke I am looking forward to trying it out, it'll be a great way to get all the good stuff from veggies and fruit.
Zemelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #2  
Nutritarian

S/C/G: 289/257.8/125

Height: 5'4"

I don't juice (yet), but I do make smoothies on a daily basis. You can easily mask the taste of the greens by adding in fruit. My daily smoothie usually consists of kale, spinach, carrots, peas, a banana, and 2 different types of frozen fruits (usually strawberries and blueberries or peaches). For added sweetness I add a fig or a couple dates.

I think there is a thread about juicing in the Whole Foods section with lots of recipes.
Laifierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

I do on and off. I have a Breville juicer. I tend to juice more in the summer and fall when the weather is warmer and I am less hungry and more thirsty. I use the juice in place of a snack or occasionally lunch (I usually don't juice for meal replacement). However, in general, I would rather eat the actual vegetable or fruit whole than juiced - I feel fuller on eating them than drinking them.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #4  
The 'x3' is a heart! :)

S/C/G: 250/low 200's/165

Height: 5'6

I do! It's wonderful but does take some getting used to if you make it a regular thing. Like guacamole, I do not juice for meal replacement but I do it on the side to supplement my meals. It has made me more energetic and my skin completely clear. Just a suggestion with the Jack Lalanne juicer- go easy on the greens and put them in small batches, I accidentally put too much in one time and it burnt out on me! :/
mirax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

We had a juicer. I loved the carrot/apple juice, but I could never come up with enough creative uses for the...non-juice. Plus it was a nightmare to clean.
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:52 AM   #6  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I've been using a Breville juicer for the last 5 months, and I like it. If you read the online reviews, that one comes out on top. The ones by Jack Lalanne rate low because they have a tendency to burn out, as mirax3 found out. Cleaning the juicer takes about 10 minutes, and isn't that hard. The worst part is cleaning the filter, since you have to really scrub it good with the bristle brush to get all the itty bitty food particles out of the mesh.

As for the remnants of the veggies -- I just throw away the leftover pulp. The books all say to use it as compost, but I live in an apartment. A few times I actually ate the pulp -- sprinkle some lemon juice on it and it's kind of good!

I just juice veggies as a side "dish" for dinner, since it's really the only way I can tolerate veggies without heaping on sauces, cheese, and dressings. I don't look at it as a meal replacement, and haven't tried the "reboot" made popular by the "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" flick.

I bought 4 books online with different recipes, but the only one I've used is by "The Juiceman." It's an older book, but the recipes are tasty. One of the first juices I made included kale: 6 carrots, 4 sprigs of parsley, 1/2 an apple (I use the whole apple), and 4 kale leaves. I was expecting it to be gross, but I actually liked it. And of great surprise to me is that one of my favorites is nothing but carrots and broccoli (which I REALLY don't like eating unless it's smothered in something fattening).

So, if you're like me and have a really hard time getting veggies into your diet, juicing your veggies is a good way of getting those nutrients.

(I know smoothies are really good too, but I haven't tried those yet. For now I'm happy just doing juicing, although I'm saving up for a Vitamix to use when I decide to try smoothies)

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 05-18-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 171/164/140

Height: 5'5

My mom had bought a Vitamix, after seeing the demo at Costco, but she couldn't dupe the recipes and make them taste as good, so she returned it. Not sure where she went wrong. Today, going to farmers market for veggies.
Zemelle is offline   Reply With Quote