Metabolic Research Center - Newbie to MRC

View Full Version : Newbie to MRC

melissab617
05-04-2012, 12:56 PM
Hi All,

I am new to MRC (currently in pre-conditioning). I am taking my food course and getting my menu later today...yay! I have to say, I am pretty nervous about sticking to plan. I don't have a lot of weight to lose (22.5 lbs total), but I am a HUGE fan of Mexican food. Which, I assume, I won't get much of anymore.

I think my biggest issue will be dealing with my Mexican food cravings. Other than that, I LOVE fruits and veggies. We already eat chicken or 97% lean beef only. So, it is just getting the portions right moving forward.

SO EXCITED to start!!! I really want to be able to go to the swimming pool with my 2 year old and not feel self-conscious about it! :carrot:

Galadreal
05-04-2012, 02:15 PM
actually you can use pretty much all the same spices, you mostly just have to limit how much bread you get, so not alot of tortillas. My husband makes a great turkey taco (ground turkey, taco seasoning, cheese, green onions, green peppers, and a 40 calorie taco shell). Mostly it is moderation and lots of protien. So much protien.

I don't know what plan you will be on, but from all the success stories on here, they all seem to work great. (I just hit the 23 pound mark, but I have alot more to lose thank you)

This just requires some creative thinking.

melissab617
05-04-2012, 02:55 PM
I will have to look for the 40 cal taco shell! That would make my day!

JenB72
05-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Welcome, Melissa!!!! As Galadreal said, you can still have some Mexican, you just have to be creative. I love Turkey Tacos. However, I eat them in a bowl instead of a shell. The 40 cal taco shell I get is a Corn Shell from Mission (24 in a package). Only problem is that it is small. I could never get 3 oz of meat and 1/2 oz cheese in it. A little bit, but then the rest I would have to eat as a taco salad minus the shell. Still great though.

Good luck on your journey and hope you join in with us on the May thread. :)

Galadreal
05-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Jen, we are never able to get that much on them (though with the low carb tortillas sliced in half we do make a decent breakfast burito) we usually crumble them up on top of the turkey...kind of like an upside down taco...or frito pie.

Oh, and depending on where you are, they sell them at Wal-mart in the bread isle, just a tall stack of crispy shells.

rachels77
05-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Hey, Melissa!

Welcome!

I love mexican food also. We do a yummy taco salad with chili seasoning and cilantro. Very nice with the cheese and ground turkey or chicken and lots of lettuce and tomato. Hits the craving for me. I also try the lower sodium taco seasoning, which is nice in moderation...

melissab617
05-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the Mexican Food tips! I can't wait to get on a menu that will allow it. My yellow menu is pretty restrictive, but I already feel like I have more energy!