40-Somethings - Memorial Day Challenge

View Full Version : Memorial Day Challenge

Zumbachica
05-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Just thought I'd start a new challenge for us. This one is going to be a short one....Lets see how much progress we can make before the end of this month!! Memorial Day kicks off the summer...Let's enjoy it!!!:p and feel good about ourselves!!

My goal for this month is to lose five lbs.

continue Belly Fat Cure Diet

Do the 30 Day Shred and also Brazilian Butt Workout when I have time....

LET"S DO THIS!

cbigsis
05-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Thanks for starting the thread Zumba!

My goals for the month are:

Lose 5 pounds
Drink at least 6 glasses of water each day
At least 3 resistance training days in per week
Stay on meal plan!! :)

Zumbachica
05-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Those look like great goals Cbig. I see that our goal weight is the same, although I'm giving myself a few lbs over that so that I feel like I can achieve something faster.

Went to Zumba toning class this morning.....this is day three of BFC diet....so far i'm pretty impressed with how I've been sticking to it, but then again its only been three days......I am going to try and get my Shred DVD in today, but every day I find an excuse not to do it. Like right now I should be doing it but i"m watchign the Kentucky Derby!

dcapulet
05-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Hi Zumba!

I'm aiming for 10lbs for Memorial day

SW 223
GW 213

natamars
05-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Chica! Great to see you. I have been away for months and just this week decided to check back in, and what do I see but one of your challenges? It must be fate!

I will brave the scale tomorrow..I know I am up. So for now my goals will be non-weight-related:

1) Journal EVERYTHING. Keep calories under 1500
2) NO take-out /restaurant food(one exception for Mother's Day b'fast)
3) Exercise in some form 5-6 days/week(stairs not included)
4) Stair-climb at the office 3-4 days/week
5) Run 2-3 days/week

I started tracking my calories again yesterday, so I'm off to a good start. Great to be back!

guacamole
05-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Hello, everyone! I will join in too!

I'd like to drink at least 8 cups of water per day

Lose 4 pounds

Stick to an average of 9,000-9,300 calories per week

Exercise more

natamars
05-06-2012, 11:50 AM
guac, good to see you! Great goals.

I have to remember, when I start to slip, how good being on plan feels. I was going to eat a regular dinner last night, and then went through and added up my calories, and realized I was already at 1315. So I kept busy and pushed through and it was OK.

Did 6.4 miles this morning, 5.6 miles at a jog. My pace is getting closer to a 10 minute mile..one of my goals for this year is to do a 5K in under 30 minutes.

Weighed in and it was about what I thought..I'd weighed in at the gyn a few weeks ago and I'm actually down slightly from there. I'd like to be under 135 by Memorial Day.

Hope everyone's having a great day!

guacamole
05-07-2012, 11:43 AM
My eating this weekend wasn't good. I am trying to get back on the wagon as I do every Monday. This morning I felt so heavy and bloated that I needed to get some air. I found this great bike/walk/jogging trail and went for a long walk, even though I wasn't dressed for exercise. It was very relaxing and invigorating at the same time. Now that I have found this place, I think I will go back again. Move more eat less.

KG123
05-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Officially the "last" month before summer starts! :dizzy:

Goals for May
1. Lose 10 pounds
2. Stick to Weekday Diet regiment including 3 Lg Glasses of water/day
3. Start some weight training 3x/week at least 30/minutes
4. Continue walking 1 to 1 1/2 hours 5x/week
5. Avoid movie popcorn at all costs!
6. Less weekend backsliding!

Did pretty well last month, hit my goal a few times but backslid on weekends..:devil:.
ended month just a little above April goal.

natamars
05-07-2012, 10:26 PM
1425 calories today. 25 minutes on the stairs at work, 40 minutes on the elliptical.

KG, congrats on April! Summer is so close now, we have to keep going!!

guac, glad you found a new place for exercise..sounds like it helped alot.

guacamole
05-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Hello, everyone. I rode my bike for about an hour around the new path I found. It felt so nice! I am sooo hungry today. I had a coffee, blueberry greek yogurt, and kashi cereal for breakfast. I made tuna salad with tomatoes and pickles for lunch (ate it straight without bread), and have been drinking my water. I am still so hungry! Guess it's one of those days.

Zumbachica
05-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Hello everyone!! I lost another pound..trying not to get too excited until I know it is off for good. Started taking fiber supplement, that is helping me with some of the bloat I was experiencing....I feel lighter ;) Still doing the Belly Fat Cure but honeslty the past two days I don't feel like eating at all (that's a first!) and I have to force myself to eat. It must be the new meds I am on kicking in.....or maybe it is the fiber making me feel full ;)

NATAMARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! girl I have been looking for you! So glad you are back, I know the two of us were making pretty good progress last year..let's do it again! I've had some really serious personal stuff going on, so of course i turned to food for comfort and let myhself go.......Here we go again! So far so good...for a while I was busting out of my clothes and I cannot afford a new wardrobe, nor can I wear sweats every day....So good to see you again........

Guac: how can you lose weight taking in so many calories? over nine thousand??? I totally missed something.....because I need to get down to around 1200 to see the scale move...

Dcap: YOu go girl..ten lbs by Memorial Day!! DO IT!

KG: Movie popcorn is SO bad but just tastes so darn good..and when you don't have it you can smell everybody else having it....be strong!!!

Sorry if I forgot anyone. Making fried rice for the kids tonight, of course I'll be eating something else (grilled chicken and salad). It is getting easier to give up the carbs..

Have a great evening everybody!!

guacamole
05-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Guac: how can you lose weight taking in so many calories? over nine thousand??? I totally missed something.....because I need to get down to around 1200 to see the scale move...

Zumbachica - LOL! Boy do I wish I could eat 9,000 per day and lose weight! I meant that I want to stick to an average of 9,000 per week - some days will be 1200 and other days will be more like 1500-1600 - but the average number of calories per week will be consistent.

natamars
05-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Tuesday: 1480 calories. Walked .8 miles, jogged 2.4 miles.

I SO want to eat something sweet now..wasn't going to eat dinner but was so hungry after being in the rain and wind watching my son's baseball game, so I had a WW entree about 8:30. So I'm posting now so that I won't eat again.

guac, I have those days too. I set myself a range of 1200-1500/day because I just couldn't stick to 1200, but I've definitely been at the higher end most days. I didn't have enough activity today to justify it, but what's done is done. Glad you enjoyed your ride.

zumba, great to see you too! I know I had started to look at belly fat cure but then I fell off the wagon. Right now I'm doing OK counting calories but I'm sure I'll hit a snag soon and need something different. I had gotten down to 127 early last summer and then blew it. And I'm with you on the clothes..I'm back to only having a few things I can wear to work that fit. And I had given away all my "fat" clothes and am NOT buying more. YAY on the lb..you worked for that!!

See everyone tomorrow.

guacamole
05-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Hello, everyone! Hope you ladies are having a great day. I went walking for 1 hour today. I used an app called iRunner, which was nice because it told me how many miles I walked (a bit over 4 miles) and how many calories I burned (401) and how long I was walking. I think I might alternate biking and walking on different days of the week so that I don't get bored. Doing ok on the calorie counting today so far. I actually saw 157 on the scale today! I couldn't believe it, so I stepped back on and it said 158. Boo! Keep plugging away...

Good luck today!

natamars
05-09-2012, 09:37 PM
1545 calories, 40 minutes stair climbing, 40 min elliptical.

OK day. Fighting boredom at work..amaing how boredom makes me want to eat.

guac, nice pace on your walk today!

KelStand
05-09-2012, 09:54 PM
I am in! I need some motivation! I am soooo discouraged! I am back up to a solid 164. Why? I don't know!

My goals for this challenge:
Drink 8 cups of water
Continue strength training & Couch to One Mile ( I changed this a little to suit me!)
Record what I eat.
Lose 4 lbs.

Good luck everyone!

natamars
05-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Lost my job today. They axed my whole department - 40 people or so. We were taken over by another division and they're eliminating all our jobs. The only good news is that our jobs are guaranteed through the end of January. All day I felt too sick to eat but I was finally too shaky and had to have something. I will not let this throw me off track..if hunger isn't the problem, food is not the answer!!

natamars
05-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Down 1.2 lbs. for the week. I was hoping for more because usually when I first get back on track I at least drop so water weight. Oh well.

1180 calories yesterday and about 45 minutes of swim class.

KelStand, welcome! Great goals! How's your walking/running going?

cbigsis
05-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Checking in, its been a crazy week! I weighed this morning 146.4 so I'm up 2 pounds :( I know its due to over snacking. When I don't drink enough water I snack. If I know this why don't I just fix it? grrrr This weekend the weather is supposed to be great so I should get outside alot and maybe help burn some of that extra off!

natamars: I'm so sorry about your job! Great attitude to not let it throw your food off track. I'm proud of you!

guac: I have some awesome trails near my house I love to bike/jog on too. I found them last summer and I'm hoping to take a lot of advantage of them this summer too!

Zumba: great job on the weight loss! We do have the same weight goal. My secret goal is really 120 but I didn't want to be too discouraged if I couldn't get there. LOL I'm short but my body is different than it was in my 20s. I'm much more muscular than I was then so I may or may not be able to weigh that even if my body gets to the same size.

Zumbachica
05-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Lost my job today. They axed my whole department - 40 people or so. We were taken over by another division and they're eliminating all our jobs. The only good news is that our jobs are guaranteed through the end of January. All day I felt too sick to eat but I was finally too shaky and had to have something. I will not let this throw me off track..if hunger isn't the problem, food is not the answer!!

OMG Nat, i am so sorry!!!!!! Well...atleast you have a paycheck until january and that gives you time to find another job. things are just so bad all over. Sending you hugs, and hope you can find the willpower to stick to your healthy eating and workouts during this frustrating transition....:hug:

Zumbachica
05-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Cbig, you bring up a great point about being muscular. When I was working with a trainer I was losing inches but not many lbs and it was discouraging, until one day I tried on a bikini and discovered I looked the best that I ever did in my life! Muscle may weigh more but damn it makes us look great. Unfortunately that was back in my 30's, I doubt that I could do that again...just too much work at this age at half the result...still gonna try. I bought a new DVD by Jillian Michaels that is jUST butt and thighs and I'm going to do it tonight....decided to focus on the really BAD areas first.....and boy, are they bad areas....HIDEOUS...

natamars
05-12-2012, 06:51 AM
1455 calories yesterday. No exercise.

Scale is down to 136.8 this morning - Chica, we're exactly the same weight! Of course you're taller than I am. But I can already see a differences around my middle. Today will be my 9th day back on plan.

I agree with everyone that though I set a weight goal, muscle is more important. I really need to start focusing on that more. I wouldn't care what I weighed if i could look ripped in a bikini...

I have a job interview next week. I've made some good connections at my job(I work for a large bank) so I'm hoping to be able to transfer. The bad news is that I'll probably have to commute into the city, which will completely change my lifestyle, expecially the time I'm able to spend with my son. My current boss is remote and fabuolous, and I can work from home whenever I need to. Guess I've been spoiled.

natamars
05-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Set a PR in my 5K this morning - 32:51. It's a very hilly and challenging course..the same one took me 37 minutes one year ago. Still working toward my goal of "running" an under 30 minute 5K this year on a flat course.

KelStand
05-13-2012, 10:14 PM
I did not do well this week. It was teacher appreciation week and there was so much yummy stuff in the lounge. Maybe next week will be better. I am really getting discouraged though. It seems no matter if I eat alot or not....I don't lose weight.

Sum38
05-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Hello :D

Somehow I got lost after April challenge...but I found you guys.

Doing well with IF. I had a 5 pound drop last week :eek: I ate loads of veggies and lean protein for 5 days. I felt great!

Goals;

1) Log everything
2) Water/Green Tea 64 oz per day
3) Get down to 143 pounds (146.5 today)

cbigsis
05-14-2012, 10:47 AM
I hope all the moms had a great mother's day yesterday! I definitely ate well over my calories yesterday. The weather was so beautiful we were outside hiking and biking all afternoon so I'm hoping that burned off a bunch of the extra food.

nat great job on the run! I had gotten my 5k to under 30 min last year and was so excited! Its back over for now because I don't run as often in the winter but I think I can get it back down this summer. :)

kel try not to get too discouraged. Sometimes the body just likes to sit at a certain weight. Have you tried changing what you do for exercise? Sometimes that will shock your body into losing the weight again.

sum: Great job on the weight loss!!! Wow that's awesome!

Zumba I love the Jilliam Michaels DVDs. And I have a couple of Bob Harper's too. They are killer!!!

guacamole
05-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Hello, everyone! Went out of town for a long weekend and my eating was....atrocious! Oh, well. Back on the wagon today. I got my period unexpectedly this morning. Usually I have at least a week of PMS. This time I had about 2 days of PMS and then BAM! However, I wasn't expecting my period until at least 5/20, so, I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe all the sugar and carbs I ate over the weekend spurred it on? Who knows... :dizzy:

Good luck today, everyone!

Sum38
05-14-2012, 08:17 PM
What a busy day I had. My pedometer logged 24000 steps :eek: I need to eat some more tonight, because I am only at 900 calories for the day and my steps alone burned 1200 cal.

My weight was 146.5 this am. I had a spike day yesterday, therefore I was fully expecting a higher weigh in.. I am sure I will be back at 146 tomorrow morning.

I power walked 5.5 miles
I drank my water/tea.
I logged all of my food.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Guacamole; I have noticed that my cycle is getting shorter with age. It used to be 34 days now I am at 28 days....I hope you are doing okay, and perhaps two day PMS is a blessing :D

cbigsis It is okay to splurge on Mother's Day. :) Sounds like you had a very active weekend. I love being outdoors and enjoying sun and family.

:wave: to everyone else, I am happy to be here.

natamars
05-14-2012, 08:42 PM
1280 calories. Jogged 1.6 mil, walked 1.6 mi. Felt kind of bloated and crampy on my run so cut it short and walkde home. I did some extra walking during my son's soccer practice.

I was a bit over yesterday for Mother's Day, but not too bad..about 1800 calories total. My son made me a Mother's Day cupcake at the store so I split it with him. I told my husband and son that I didn't want anything food-related for the holiday, so we went bowling instead. I did have a few extra snacks at night as we watched a movie and the Once Upon a Time finale together.

Sum, WOW on the steps! You rock!!

guac, the important thing is that you're back on the wagon now, you couldn't have done too much damag ein a weekend although you may see some extra on the scale for a few days. My cycle is ALSO getting shorter - it used to be 28 days and now it's more like 21-24. Ugh!!

cbigsis, sounds like you had a nice, active Mother's Day!

KelStand, I hear what you're saying. I know not everyone agrees, but I believe in set point weights. I have certain weights that are hard to get below and which I can overeat to a point and stay at. It really takes concerted effort and tracking to break them. Stay with us!!

natamars
05-16-2012, 10:18 AM
1440 calories yesterday, 40 min elliptical.

Scale is back up to 138 today. 13th straight day of counting calories and increasing activity. I think I'm going to start a weekly weigh in thread in 40-somethings to help..I weigh in every day and it gets discouraging seeing the ups and downs, but hopefully I'll see a pattern when I track. What I wouldn't give to lose a solid lb per week when I'm on plan!!!

Already did 35 minutes on teh stairs this morning. Have to prepare for a job interview so may skip the gym tonight.

Hope everyone's doing well.

guacamole
05-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Nat - a weekly weigh-in sounds good. I am down 1 lb this morning after weeks of standing still! Now to lose 1 more!

KG123
05-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Mid-May! Hope everyone is hanging in there! :carrot:

135.2 this morning...8 to go for this month...not sure I will make it!
But did fit into some of my summer shorts...but not all!
Skinny jeans still hiding in back of closet :o

Still walking :running:and watching food...Mother's Day :val3: was a bust...my sister made unbelievable brunch for me and my mom and some others.
Did have small movie popcorn for The Avengers :corn:...couldn't resist :devil:!

Some new snacks discovered..small cans of green beans 1/can = 40 calories with Whole Foods Low Fat Dill Sauce 2/TBLSP = 30 calories
Spring Rolls...read ingredients, some are all veggie some have hidden stuff...with Olde Cape Cod Fat Free Toasted Sesame Soy & Ginger vinaigrette 2/TBLSP 40/calories
Seaweed Salad...the Whole Foods only has 30/calories.
Calamari Salad...the Whole Foods has 130 calories but is really filling.
Trying to find new low-cal snacks every week!

Sum38
05-17-2012, 08:11 AM
Morning :sunny:

My scale hit all time low yesterday morning; 144.5. I had my spike day yesterday, therefore scale was back up to 146 this morning, which was totally expected by me. I was just happy that after a spike day I was at 146...no more 150's for me. I am hoping to be at 144-145 for my official weigh in tomorrow morning. -- I had two spike days this week. I usually only allow one...but I have been incredibly busy and taken so many steps, that two spike days was no big deal. I did not go crazy anyways... I ate 2500 calories, which is basically my maint. calories. -- I like my spike days and it seems to keep my body healthy. I am not losing any muscle mass, only fat.

KG123 Your goal is quite ambitious, please be careful. This is a marathon not a sprint :D

Guacamole Congrats on one pound! :woohoo: The slow Dancers miss you!

natamars Great idea. We could weigh in daily, but only look at the trend once per week....

Everyone have a fab and fit day!

guacamole
05-17-2012, 12:53 PM
KG123 - sounds like you are doing great! Oh, and I love movie popcorn too!

Sum38 - congrats on the new low weight! I'll have to pop over to the slow dancers. Sometimes I lose track of all the threads I post to.

Staying on track so far today. Haven't stepped on the scale again.

KelStand
05-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Thank you! Thank you for all the encouraging words and suggestions. I have done a little better in the will power department this week! :o)

Walking/running is going pretty good. I haven't made that mile yet with a complete run, but I am getting there!

cbigsis- I do like the idea about changing exercise. That makes alot of sense. Today was the last day of school and we only have a couple of days of post planning. I will now have time to go to Zumba/Yoga....which I love to do. Maybe that will help.
Good luck on that 5K!

natamars-I have read about set weight and it makes alot of sense. I seem to be hovering around this 162 to 165. I think a dramatic change is in order to change it. Yeah for you! You seem to stay on track so well and not "wig" out when you don't! :o)

guacamole- I hope you are feeling well!

sum38- yeah for the 5 pound drop!!!

Good luck to everyone!!!

natamars
05-18-2012, 07:45 AM
*sigh* Scale is back up to 137.8. The first day I thought it was an anomaly, but now it's been 3 or 4 days in a row. I have not tracked my calories perfectly the last two days..I'll have to see if I can piece it together. Yesterday I had my job interview so I ate no b'fast, and by 1 I was starving, but I got a gorgeous chopped salad with mesclun lettuce, broccoli, carrots, edamame, chick peas, kidney beans, almonds, and dried cranberries with light Italian dressing. Then I had a vitamin water and special K bar for a snack. Dinner was my homemade refried bean and cheese quesadillas which I make on high fiber low card tortillas. I did have an ice creamsandwich later(160 cal).

Exercise was 35 minutes stair climbing Wed, 35 minutes swimming yesterday. Going for a run this morning and back to writing everything down.

Sum, YAY on the new low! You must have been flying!

KG, very ambitious goal. SOunds like you're doing well. That's a great idea to try on some shorts...I'd like to finally fit into everything this summer.

dcapulet
05-18-2012, 08:20 AM
:wave:

so WI at 220.6 today - doesn't look like I'm making it to 213 by next week, but I'll take being in the teens!

guacamole
05-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Hi, everyone! Looks like there have been some ups and downs for folks! I stepped on the scale to 156, so I am 2 lbs down for the week, which is a rarity for me!

However, I got so excited I decided to try on clothes at the mall - thinking maybe I could squeak into a size 10. Nope! I am still solidly in a size 12. So, I went home to try on a 12 I bought awhile back that turned out to look too tight when I got it home (Actually, it is a Calvin Klein size L, which I think is about a 10-12). Nope! I still have a big belly poking out that even Spanx can't cure in that dress. Every other part fits well but the belly area. Ugh! Now I don't feel so hot about myself any more, even though I lost 2 lbs!

Well...guess I just have to work harder.

P.S. I am proud that I stopped myself from buying a size 12 dress that was on sale for $60 down from $120. It looked really cute, but I am not going to blow $60 on a size 12 when I am trying to go lower (maybe if it was $25) - I have enough size 12s and want to encourage myself to go below size 12.

Zumbachica
05-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi everybody..I have been doing pretty well..broke down and had some bread last night with some very salty meat...so I had a gain this morning , nothing major but its so disheartening. clothes fit a bit better, jeans dont hurt on the hips, always a good thing. Still, I'm below 140 and that hasn't happened in a while. Just have to keep trying, Memorial weekend is next week!!! Had a breast biopsy so my workouts have been sparse this past week, hurts when i lift my arm...Keep on keepin' on everybody!!

KelStand
05-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Hello, all. Up a couple of pounds. I have eaten more than usual with graduation and end of the year treats. It is also near TOM. I have great hope for summer! I can really focus on my weight loss and maybe give myself the boost I need.

Sum38
05-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Morning

Pre TOM week for me, and as usual I have "mad cow disease" :lol3:
Surprisingly I am only up about two pounds, at 147....I am hoping it won't get any higher.

I started ab program yesterday...oh how I hate planks!! But I am hoping to see good end results. I will do 3 days per week of core training. Upping my game to push through finish line. I kinda wished I had started this a few months ago, but I was not ready.

Kel we can do it :hug:

Zumba nive job staying below 140! Everything okay with your breast? Sending positive thoughts! :love:

Guacamole yay for 156.... Those 10's are just around the corner. I am 145-148 and I still cat wear all 8's....I have been stuck at 10 since 158....ugh. So I understand how frustrating it can be....I think I need to get down to 140 :mad: but celebrate the lower number :cheers:

Okay I cant see past gaga (edited to say guacamole...hehe) out of my iPad....I am sorry if I missed anyone....once I am on my laptop I will finish personals. -- iPad is great for quick posts but a pain in arse what comes to doing a long list of personals.

guacamole
05-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Hello, lovely ladies! It's a beautiful day outside and I am getting some much needed sunshine. I braved the scale this morning, and saw 155lbs! Another pound down, another pound to go. With each pound lost, my mini-goal of getting to a normal BMI is getting closer. It will be amazing to be a normal weight category for the first time in seven years.

Zumbachica - You are doing great! I hope your biopsy results turned out ok. I had one of those two years ago and it was a scary time until I got the normal results back.

KelStand - The summer is a great time to get back on track. A few pounds up after a few high calorie days and TOM is probably just water weight. It will come off!

Sum38 - Mad cow disease? LOL. I can relate. I want to eat the entire house up during PMS. Great job on the new ab program!

Good luck today, everybody!

cbigsis
05-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Hi everyone! It is a beautiful day outside and I WISH I could go for a bike ride but no free time for that today. Maybe tomorrow. I got my youngest son a new bike and I'm dying to challenge him to my favorite trail. Haha!!

I've been up and down with food but exercise has mostly been good. I don't officially weigh until Friday but today I was 143, down a pound from last week. I would love to be below 140 by the end of May and I guess its possible if I stay on track with food better. Calling every other day a spike day is not going to cut it I suppose.

Zumba I hope everything is ok with the biopsy!

Kel I know what you mean with all the end of year treats. It seems there is a banquet for something or other school related every few days! Hang in there. I'm going to try much harder the next few weeks to hang closer to the veggie platters. Maybe if I hold a water bottle in each hand I wont be able to grab so much food. ;)

Sum great job on the new ab program!

guac another pound down, woo hoooo! :)

Zumbachica
05-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Hello everyone..i did not forget about you ladies. Biopsy hurt like heck but the good news is that everything was normal. Whew! Thank you Jesus. Still dealing with extreme stress with divorce issues which doesn't seem to be ending any time soon thanks to husband sitting on things. I'm losing weight due to the stress plus the belly fat diet....trying to stick to it the best that I can. I haven't been going to the diner for Napoleans or anything like that.....very little bread....enjoying eggs, nuts , tuna fish, and other protein. It is a great diet and the healthiest of all the low carb diets I have tried and i've been on almost all of them. I think the key to low carbing is not to do low fat at the same time. It has to be one or the other. You need that fat to feel satiated. So yes, my scale is on the low side today...jeans are fitting looser....but everything still looks saggy and gross. Tried the Jillian Michaels Butt and thigh DVD and I HATED IT. It did a job on my knees, I hated the movements , the long warm up and just listening to her.....she's obnoxious. Okay so that is my check in folks! Im going to scroll up to see how y'all are doing.....

KelStand
05-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Hello! Summer vacation is officially here and I am loving it! I went to Zumba today and it was fun. I hadn't been in a while so I had to relearn some moves, but it sure felt good. My mission is to be active this summer and so far I have been off to a good start.

Yippi, Zumba!!! I am so glad all is well! And don't worry about the sagginess.....it will go away! I had a friend who had bypass surgery and her skin sagged alot after her weight loss. I mean, her cheeks were like that old cartoon dogs...ugh, I can't think of his name. Anyway, after a while, her skin seemed to go back to its place.

cbigsis-Thanks for the encouraging words and I hope you have gotten to do that ride with your son! :o)

Have any of you ever used any of the online weight loss sites with calorie counters, etc?

I hope you all have a great...long weekend!

Sum38
05-24-2012, 07:03 AM
Cyperspace ate my post :(

guacamole
05-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Hello, everyone! Another beautiful day and it's amazing how much the sun can positively affect my mood. I'm loving it! I weighed myself this morning and am holding at 155. Now to lose one more!

Sum38
05-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Okee take two.

Holding steady at 145.5, but where is TOM? It was supposed to show it's ugly face yesterday. Ugh, peri menopause...keeps one guessing...or is my body being kind to my hubby who has been out of town, and who is arriving home tonight and who will be gone again next week ;) TMI :o heheheh

Sum38
05-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Gaucamole I am happy to hear about your 155 :high:

Zumba I am so sorry that you have so much sh1t going on in your life. Stress is usually the best diet plan :( I am happy to hear that your biopsy came clean. I had breast cancer 8 years ago.... I am all clean and healthy now. I have been following Jorge Cruise's belly fat cure. Are you doing that one? I LOVE the eating plan. I feel very healthy. I mostly eat only veggies and lots of them and lean protein. I started making my own salad dressing (olive oil, fresh lemon juice, spicy mustard and spices, like emeril's or red pepper, paprika, garlic etc). I am totally addicted keeping my sugar under 20 g and NO added sugar, all natural from veggies. -- My belly, my trouble spot is going down and going down fast. All that bloat is gone :woohoo:

Kel Nice to hear you enjoying your workouts. We need to mix things up a bit....I am now into lifting weights and core workouts.

Sum38
05-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Kelly, I use myfitnesspal.com for calorie counting and I LOVE it! It is like fitness facebook. Feel free to friend me, same nick.

guacamole
05-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Zumba and Sum - I have not read The Belly Fat Cure, but I have been eating mainly non starchy vegetables and lean protein (well, I do eat salmon 1 or 2 times per week, which isn't exactly lean). I have been losing some weight this way, but more importantly, I think I have been losing inches because my clothing is looser. I also find that I feel fuller longer and my cravings are kept at bay when I stick to veggies and protein. I guess I am unknowingly doing a version of the the belly fat cure diet! ;)

Sum38
05-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Guacamole This "diet" aka lifestyle promotes healthy fats. Sunflower seeds or any seeds, salmon, avocados. My (healthy) fat intake is 60-75g per day. I dropped 6 pounds within 10 days. Now I have stalled a bit but I think it is hormonal. Sounds like you are following what we are following. :)

I also added green tea. I drink a few cups warm, in the morning and then I finish the pot iced.

So what ever you are doing, keep doing it if it is working :)

The only thing that I may do differently. The book recommends skipping breakfast, so it is basically also IF. It works quite well for me because I loathe eating bfast.

Zumbachica
05-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Yes I am doing that belly fat cure....follwing the fast track plan the best that I can....taking fiber supplements...belly has gone down and muffin top is gone! I eat breakfast on it...either eggs or cottage cheese.....it is.working...I feel deloated.

I used to use fatsecret to log in....its great!!

Zumbachica
05-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Sum....good for you for kicking cancer in the Booty!!!!!

natamars
05-25-2012, 07:54 AM
.4 loss for the week. Still have not been tracking calories as I should..that is the only way I will keep losing, even though it will be slow. Not enough exercise this week either. Between work and looking for a new job, the stress is wiping me out and by the time I get home I'm like a zombie. I had a terrible interview this week, that I had to bust my a$$ to get to in Manhattan..the guy actually thought I was someone else, then when he actually looked at my resume he seemed to have no idea why they would have called me in for it. GRRR!!!!

Zumba, sorry you have so much c r a p going on but glad you're doing well. Particularly glad the biopsy went well..that must have been very stressful. I may have to look into BFC.

Sum, wow, your diet rocks! I stopped eating meat, fish and most eggs several months back and I need to work on getting more protein. I eat lots of beans and some Greek yogurt, but I know I'm not getting enough consistently.

guac, you are fabulous!!

Let's not go crazy over the holiday weekend - it's not worth it!! See you all soon!

Sum38
05-25-2012, 08:21 AM
I used my yesterday's weigh-in as my official weigh-in for the week.:o -- I had Chinese food for dinner and I am on sodium overload... I did not even dare to step on scale this am. Hubby who was out of town since Monday, said that I am looking thinner. My waist is emerging. -- I did not lose any weight for the week, but I feel things were shifting around. My arms look more toned; I have maint. my upper body training since mid march and I am starting to show a bit of muscle definition. -- Hard to tell with my tummy today, that darn Chinese food and my late period (no, I am not pregnant :D).

I just ordered a book called New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. ~ Lift like a man, look like a goddess. Any of you ladies follow that program?

Everyone have a fab and fit day. :hug:

dcapulet
05-25-2012, 09:15 AM
I ended up at 220.6 this week :) Congrats to everyone on their hard work!

KelStand
05-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Hey, Sum38! I have been looking at myfitnesspal.com. It looks really good. I will friend you as soon as I get everything set up and get more familiar with the site!

I have kept to my goals well this week, but I am sure I am at a stand still as far as any weight loss because of teasing TOM! I have all the symptoms....including cramps and bi*&%3ness! I dread weighing day! :O)

Despite this...I have really enjoyed my first week of summer break! I hope all of you have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Zumbachica
05-26-2012, 07:05 PM
KEL: Yes, TOM definitely throws a pickle into the whole weight loss effort because the scale is not our friend....hang in there....I love that feeling when TOM finally shows and I get to "debloat"...

DCAP: Keep smiling!! :) I think everyone did great, just finding the time to post here is in itself no small feat.

SUM: I have that book!! Never got around to doing the program , it seemed complicated to me but now that you mention it I want to take it out again....Kudos on starting to show muscle!!! Muscle is awesome!! It even helps us burn more calories in our sleep...

NAT: I am sorry your job interview was a bust...I absolutely detest job interviews, and i have been on many of them. I hope something happens for you soon..don't let the stress destroy your health. If I can try and take care of myself with what i'm going through so can you...we are in this together girlfriend!!!:hug:

GUAC: I wish I could learn to like green tea. I have tried. Maybe iced with some stevia. It is so healthy....

KELSTAND: So glad you like Zumba...I'm a bit partial to it myself ;)

Zumbachica
05-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Well....here we are. Monday is the official end of this challenge. It warms my heart to see you ladies on here. I don't get to check in every day, but when I do and see you ladies all working hard towards your goal it makes me want to do better.
I'm happy to say that I am a bit below my goal for this challenge...I contribute that to belly fat cure and also anxiety...I lose my appetite more often lately with all that is going on in my personal life..but weight loss is weight loss and I'm going to try and keep it off no matter what goes on in my future. Bought a pair of shorts today and was disgusted to see that the cellulite has travelled down my legs to my knees...YUCK....so I guess my challenge now is to tighten stuff up a bit. I'm a jiggly mess! But I did reach goal (for now) so I am going to keep going. Final check in on Monday and then we are on to another challenge!!!!

Sum38
05-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Kelly I saw you at MFP...:woohoo: all my friends there are in their mid to late 30's and mostly 40's. Feel free to friend any of them, great gals, and loads of support!!! MFP keeps me honest....and to tell the truth, being honest with herself is the hardest thing. It also trained me about portion control....

I have been skipping logging for a week because I have been so busy and now I am sick :(

Scale is back down to 145, no TOM though.

Sum38
05-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Zumba :hug: :love:

Sum38
05-27-2012, 08:42 AM
144 pounds this am, I don't think I will get down to 143 by tomorrow, but it was still a loss for the month. TOM is still absent, even though I am super bloated and crampy. I am looking forward to Friday's weigh in....may be a very nice and low number

KelStand
05-27-2012, 10:35 AM
I am actually down a pound this week...even with the pre-TOM stuff going on. I wish it would just come already....or just go away completely!

Anyway, I am happy with the loss and proud of myself for sticking with my goals even though they aren't happening as quickly as I would like!

Thank you all for the encouraging words! I am definately up for another challenge!

Sum38
05-29-2012, 05:28 AM
Well ended up at 145 pounds. That is a day after having a party; eating and drinking way too much, and finally getting a visit from TOM. So I am a pretty happy camper, atleast what comes to my weight, now if something could be done about the darn hangover :D

natamars
05-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Well, I didn't reach my goals for this challenge. I let the job stress get to me and haven't even exercised in the last several days.

Sum, you rock!

Kel, a pound @ TOM is huge - congrats!!

Zumba, you did AMAZING!!! That does it, I'm starting BFC next week!!!

When's the next challenge?

Zumbachica
05-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Hello my fellow challengers! It looks like this challenge was a success...even if you didn't lose weight or reach a goal you still hung in there and tried. I've been doing this weight loss thing for around twenty years and one thing I have noticed is the people who are really successful are the ones that had to try and try and try again. Then somehow it all clicked and it happened to them. I want to be one of those people, don't you? I didn't lose a lot but when I meet someone at the gym who tells me that they lost 60, 80 or even 100 lbs I am in amazement of these people and want to tell them how much I respect them...because this is SO HARD. Weight does NOT descriminate. Just the other day they showed the richest woman in the world (no, it wasn't Oprah Winfrey) and sure enough she was a big lady....you can't buy skinny!! Maybe she is happy the way she is, who knows....my point is though is that weight loss is something hard to achieve....you can be rich and hire the trainer and the chef and still not be able to stop the yo yo......You can be from any culture, any race , color or creed. You can have an PhD or be a high school grad. It does not matter...we are in this TOGETHER!!!

I'm happy to wrap up this challenge at a nice even 132. I never thought I would see that number again...however....being 132 at 45 is way different from when I was 132 at age 28. More on that in the next challenge. thank you ladies for being here for this challenge, now for our next one, i'm going to check and see if anyone started on.....:hug:

KG123
05-31-2012, 07:34 AM
Congrats to everyone for the month of May!

Ended up this morning at 132.2...so missed goal by 4.2 pounds but okay with that cause I have been doing some serious cheating on the weekends :devil:

Hang in there everyone!:dancer:

Sum38
05-31-2012, 08:29 AM
Guacamole started a new challenge.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/259991-40-somethings-4th-july-challenge.html

See you all there.