Medifast - Medifast newbie!

View Full Version : Medifast newbie!

neimanmarxist
05-02-2012, 06:41 PM
I just ordered medifast today!I have about 30 lbs. to lose. I've been trying and failing to lose weight by counting calories for a while so I'm looking forward to trying something new and very effective. I'm a little apprehensive because the problem I have with calorie counting is really just self-control, but I figure having fewer options will help with that...? Anyway I'm going to browse this forum for experiences etc, if anyone feels like weighing in feel free! I will report back when my food gets here and I get started :) So excited to have finally bitten the bullet and decided I can't go this alone, and it's time to try something different.

neimanmarxist
05-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Also, quick question for those of you who have done this... were you super hungry on the plan? did you eventually get used to the hunger? I really struggle with portion control and am wondering what people's experiences with the tiny amounts of food have been.

Riddy
05-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Hi neimanmarxist and welcome!

In general, you will be very hungry for the first 3-5 days as your body adjusts and goes into mild ketosis. After that, Medifast says you won't be hungry. Bulls**t. I am hungry a lot, but it's usually right about when it's time to eat. The hardest times for me hunger-wise are when I'm trying to make it 3 hours between meals instead of 2. Some days I work 7:30-6, and lunch is at 1:30, so on those days I'm really hungry right before my 10:30 medifast meal and right before lunch. But compared to my expectations, this is not bad at all. I thought I'd be so hungry I'd want to gnaw my own arm off, and I am not.

If anything, medifast has taught me just how mental losing weight is.

Good luck - you can do it!

neimanmarxist
05-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks Riddy!
UPS didn't manage to deliver my stuff yesterday even though it is here so I am just going to get started tomorrow anyway, using the medifast substitutes from the thread on this forum. I am going to get a can of that HC chicken noodle soup from the store, and I'll use that and regular whey protein shake for my meals in addition to the L&G meal that I'm allowed, and egg whites for breakfast. I just can't wait anymore to get started! I should have my stuff by midday monday in any event, so this will be like a little kick start .

neimanmarxist
05-06-2012, 09:52 AM
well, this is day 1.
My food doesn't arrive til tomorrow, but I just decided that it's time. I can substitute egg whites for bfast, whey protein shake for lunch, chicken noodle soup for meal 3, the other half of the soup for meal 4, lean and green, and then maybe another whey protein shake .
I'm keeping a log here of how i do. My weight was higher this morning than i thought it would be which is kind of depressing, but that's why I'm changing now.

Riddy
05-06-2012, 10:09 PM
You should have a good drop the first 2 weeks as you go into ketosis. If the broth you bought is not low sodium, your water weight drop will be delayed til you flush the salt out.

Great job on starting now! It would be easy to delay your start date because the food hasn't arrived. Congratulations for sticking to your start date.

And whatever your issue is at the beginning, the answer is almost always drink more water.

Keep positive - the first few days can be rough, but it DOES get better.

neimanmarxist
05-07-2012, 08:13 AM
day 1 is in the books! it was hard, but maybe not as hard as I thought ? This is what my meals looked like:

1) 1 cup egg whites , salt + pepper
2) 1 protein powder shake made with water
3) 2 servings HC chick.noodle soup. This is actually 2 "mini-meals" but it worked out because I felt like I got to eat a lunch.
4) L&G: arugula salad (1 c) + 1c. sauteéd broccoli raab with olive oil and 6 oz. chicken breast
5) 1 protein powder shake made with water.

I should not have looked at the scale this morning but I couldn't help myself. Down 3 lbs! I know a lot of that is water, but whatever.

I made my own oatmeal this morning, the nutritional profile isn't perfect: 1/3 c. oatmeal, 1/4 cup egg white (19 g. carb, 8 g. protein). My medifast stuff gets here in the afternoon, I think.

I really need for this diet to work so I can fit into my work clothes by the time work starts. ;)

neimanmarxist
05-08-2012, 07:29 AM
So excited! I weighed in and my weight was down another 3 lbs. this a.m. I know this slows but it really is exciting to see those numbers drop! Especially since yesterday was really hard. I felt dizzy and fatigued, I had mad food cravings, I had a hard time concentrating on work. Hopefully my body is getting into a groove and getting used to this and today will be a little easier.

Food for today:

1) oatmeal - hope it's not as bad as everyone says !
2) chocolate shake
3) tomato soup
4) bar
5) L&G- steak, broccoli raab sautéed with garlic, arugula salad
6) MF brownie.

I'm going to buy some pretzels, sloppy joes, and more bars for the 3 meals I'll need to eat in the office. I start my job in a week and a half and I should fit into a large proportion of my office clothes by then! This is such good motivation to keep going even though this is really hard.

neimanmarxist
05-09-2012, 08:36 AM
3 days ! Oh my gosh. Yesterday afternoon was REALLY hard. I was soooo dizzy and fatigued. I've been working really hard at my job lately too, which doesn't help the "brain can't function because I"m so hungry" feeling.

That said I have actually been finding the tiny MF meals to be somewhat satisfying. Last night i had an extra (6th) meal at around 11 p.m. and it really did the trick. I know that that's not ideal, but if this gets any harder I won't be able to do it.

The EASIEST part of the day is the morning, when I get on the scale and see my weight. So far I am down 8 lbs in 3 days, which is kind of ridiculous. It's 25% of my goal.

This is easier now because I am working from home all the time. When I start my job I won't be, and there will be a ton of social events/meals that will pose challenges to me. I have 10 more days before that happens, give or take, and I should be able to make significant progress by then. Then I plan to use the social meal as my L&G and.... avoid alcohol as much as possible? I love wine, but I'm sure it would totally derail my efforts on this front. Not to mention, having a drink on this plan that affords roughly 800 kcal/day would be disastrous! I'd be drunk right away. Ha.

OK. So I'm just going to focus on progress in the next 10 days. This plan is amazing (well, and really hard) but I know that maintenance is probably the biggest challenge. I'm committed to following the program until I stabilize my weight at the end (do you like my blind optimism on day 4? Pretty ridiculous.) No but seriously, I'm flabbergasted by the pace of this, even though I know it's at least 70% water weight.

OK. Enough rambling...

aviva5675
05-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Wow that sounds so awesome! Im on day 4 and have lost only about 1 1/2 pounds, but am hoping that means I enter the fat burning stage soon and more comes off this first week.

I was off work the first 3 days and was at work today- was worried about being full there. I took a cookie I had made for my first snack,then had pudding mid morning, lunch was 1/2 lean and grean with the pretzels and 1/2 lite Lauging Cow wedge...then a soft bake cookie when I got home (not great, have to cook less maybe next time), planning 1/2 lean/green for dinner and a bar later.

I feel like I eat all day long and have only been a little hungry in the afternoons...

Im a little worried I wont lose much... :(

neimanmarxist
05-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Hi Aviva, thanks for posting. I'm not an expert by any means, but my advice would be to stick to it. Even 2 lbs. a week like they promise is a great rate to lose, and it's still early on, so you won't know what your body is going to do.

I bounced out of bed excited to know what my weight was going to be this morning and it was exactly the same as yesterday. While that was disappointing, one can't expect to lose 2 lbs. every day! I think I'm going to stay off the scale until I weigh in for week 1 on Sunday. I have a cycle with weight loss. When I don't see the progress I want, I quit. Well, I'm not quitting this. This is working. So I'm also going to avoid the frustrating triggers that cause me to do something I shouldn't be doing.

Yesterday was the best day yet in terms of hunger and cravings. I had a shake in the morning, 1 c. scrambled egg whites, tomato soup, then a bar. Then L&G (steak and broccoli rabe) and then in the evening a soft serve. The soft serve is a PITA to make but I find it to be pretty tasty .

neimanmarxist
05-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Also- I forgot to add that yesterday was my easiest day so far. Fewer headaches/dizziness/fatigue. I was really hungry at nighttime when it was time for L&G but otherwise I think it's getting better.

Of course I didn't lose yesterday... :p

aviva5675
05-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Thats great- glad youre feeling better. Today was pretty good for me too-- I lost 1 lb since yesterday so that was a good feeling. Im starting to think it might be harder figuring out L/Gs that arent the same boring thing day after day. Going to have to shake it up a bit.

Found some of the MF recipes online that are really good- I like the french toast shake alot, the cookie you make mixing brownie/crunch bar and the shake cakes.

Riddy
05-11-2012, 09:54 AM
I've had a couple days where I ate a 6th medifast meal. My coach says it's better to do that than overeat real food when I'm starving. Some days just by telling myself I'm allowed to have it, and even getting out a bar and looking at it, I can decide I don't really need it.

Keep it up - you're both doing great!

neimanmarxist
05-11-2012, 06:30 PM
ok, time for my daily check in. no scale movement again this morning, but I'm just going to keep at it. :( I will post a loss of 8 lbs. this week if I weigh in on Sun. morning at the same weight I was this a.m., and that's pretty amazing, so no complaints.

I have been a lot less hungry and fatigued, so I think I must be getting used to this. I'm pretty starving by the time it's time for L&G, but that's to be expected. I'll post more tomorrow when I have time.

Bones1928
05-12-2012, 02:00 AM
You're doing an amazing job, just keep at it and you will lose even more! It's amazing how quickly the body adjusts to changes in diet. The first several days are super hard, but after that the weight starts coming off and you have more energy and you realize how little food your body actually needs to perform well. And in my case, it needed a LOT less than I was cramming into it on a daily basis.

Did you ever get around to trying the oatmeal? If so, how'd you like it? I actually kinda like the maple and brown sugar oatmeal. Sorta. Somewhat.

neimanmarxist
05-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Hey Bones! I actually returned the oatmeal, wasn't a fan. Thanks for the encouragement, though, I need it this morning. I was UP 1/2 lb despite no cheating or anything yesterday. I know these are natural bodily fluctuations, but I want to lose more weight! :D There's no way I can continue eating 900 calories a day and NOT lose more.

Does anyone exercise on this diet? I've been going on slow 45-min. ambles. Also, I wake up every morning hugely dehydrated even though I drink 80+ oz. water a day. Anyone else experience this?

Oatmeal: I wasn't a huge fan, personally. I returned the boxes that I had. I make something nutritionally identical by mixing 1/3 c. old-fashioned oats with about 3/4 c. water, 1 egg white, pinch salt, and a couple of splenda.

Thanks for the encouragement. Things are fitting better... Onwards! I must not get discouraged by scale blips.

Elstyle
05-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Hi...I am also a newbie to MF. Actually I am finishing my second week. I really like it so far. I used MF a million years ago, but I don't remember it being this tasty and with so much variety. But I am sure improvements have been made over the years.
I have had success in the past with Atkins but for some reason that has not worked for me this time. I have a lot to lose so I know this is a long term lifestyle choice. And I am happy to say I am sticking with this very well..so far.
I have trouble getting in all 6 meals. Just not used to the frequency. I do get hungry right at the time for the next meal. And I like the variety of choices. My favorites so far are the soups. They are very tasty and filling. I am working with the oatmeal to find the right consistency for me. I love the bars and am ok with the snacks. The shakes are ok too, and I always feel very good after drinking them. My lean and green is going well too.
I am a little leery of Mother's Day. My son booked a Chinese restaurant before I had a chance to tell him about the diet. So I am going to have to navigate through the choices. At worst I will eat very small amounts and get right back to the plan afterward. Any suggestions anyone?
I am glad this forum is here for us. It is great to have others to share with and get feedback from!

Riddy
05-13-2012, 12:20 AM
Hi Elstyle,
Good luck at the Chinese restaurant! My best advice is ask if they have a steamed chicken & broccoli or beef & broccoli and skip the rice. If you order something "regular" off the menu, be prepared for a sodium-induced blip up on the scale. I gained 3 pounds overnight after a salt-bomb dinner once. :o

I like the oatmeal! I like regular oatmeal, though. I'm actually eating it more often lately because it seems to fill me up the longest. On days when I go to work at 7:30am, and lunch is at 1:30pm, any breakfast that helps me last til 10:30am better is a good thing. ;) I use 3/4 cup water, let it sit for a few minutes if possible (or mix it the night before), nuke 1 minute, stir, nuke again til it boils (30-40sec), then add a splash of coffee creamer.

I've tried making the oatmeal scones - meh. The texture is just wrong.

Oatmeal does make a good pancake, though - I mix with about 1/2 cup water, and cook just like a pancake.

neimanmarxist
05-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Checking in after my first full week on medifast. I posted a total loss of 8.2 lbs, which I'm really happy about, but I'm concerned because 8 lbs. were in the first 3 days and then there was literally no movement after that, except a flucutation upawards, then downwards. I'm panicking that the diet stopped working and I'm starving myself for no good reason. :( However, I figure you can't go long on 1000 calories a day without losing weight, so I will keep it going and see where it takes me. I'm committed to this for a full month.

OK, that's all I've got this morning, have a great Sunday.
I keep telling myself I'm going to stay off the scale so as to not get frustrated by a slow pace of loss, but then I never do. :P

aviva5675
05-13-2012, 12:06 PM
This is also the end of my first week and Im down 4.5. Pretty happy with that, was hoping for a bit more, but Ill take it! Didnt cheat at all but my fats might be slightly higher as I use about a 1 1/2 t. light powder creamer in my coffee at work (1 a day), and the same of sugar. My 1 other coffee of the day I use a Splenda and fat free half/half. Eating today at my cousins but she said she is making turkey so that will be good, and there will be veggies Im sure. Will bring a pudding for dessert cause she makes killer desserts and I dont want to be left out.

Cant face the eggs again, working my way up to oatmeal, bought a box of no fat no sugar stuff tho- might be ok. I made the pancake sweet rolls for breakfast today, pretty good!

Hoping next week goes almost as well!

Bones1928
05-14-2012, 02:33 AM
I feel ya, Neiman. I haven't looked at the scale once since I started for that very reason. Keep at it. If you're staying on plan, you're gonna lose the weight. You've just gotta keep hydrated and make sure you're eating something every three hours or so.

They say to take it easy with the exercise for the first couple of weeks while your body adjusts to the diet. At first, you might feel lethargic, hungry, and tired. After that your energy returns and you'll be able to take up some exercise. After two weeks, my energy levels seemed to stabilize and I started going to the gym for an hour or so, 6 of 7 days a week and the weight really started falling off. Not sure how much poundswise, but it took me like no time at all to drop from an 18 to a 14.

Maybe take a break from the scales for a bit? You've mentioned your clothes are starting to fit better, and that's awesome. They'll only become bigger and in no time at all, you'll be going shopping for new skinny jeans! :P

neimanmarxist
05-15-2012, 05:26 PM
thanks for the encouragement, Bones! yes, I think I AM going to take a break from the scale, it's just making me a little loopy. I measured myself today, I am down 2" in the hips and 2" in the waist from my start date, about. My energy levels have really returned, which is a big relief. At first I thought I was dying. haha.

I think I'm going to start up my exercise program Thursday morning. That will be almost 2 weeks on the diet, and I'm feeling a lot better. I'm rarely even SUPER hungry like I was when I got started.

neimanmarxist
05-17-2012, 10:52 AM
oh no! I fell off the wagon REALLY hard last night. I feel terrible about it. I mean, I had chocolate, pasta, booze.... you name it. I'm so disappointed in myself .Here's to recommitting!

Riddy
05-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Oops, back on the stick today! Don't weigh for a couple of days if you can help it - the starch and salt will probably give you a blip up of water weight.

Elstyle
05-18-2012, 06:16 PM
I made it through the Chinese restaurant Mother's Day meal. I ate the protein hor'dourves, the broth and shrimp in the soup, and stayed away from the rice at the main course. I am sure could not be considered a proper lean and green but I think I did pretty well for my first trial. And there are many more to come, bridal showers, family reunion, weddings, grandson's 3rd birthday, granddaughter's 1st birthday...whew! I plan to do my best at all of these events! In the mean time I am really doing well with the plan. I like the soups and bars the best and I am even getting used to the oatmeal. It is just time for me to do this. I was losing ground as far as energy and ability to do the things I wanted to do. I am tired of being fat and I want a better quality of life. I have pushed my luck in regards to my health, with no problems so far, but that is sheer luck...well, my grandmother and all her sisters were very large women who lived well into their 90s not needing extra help! But I want to be able to get on the floor and play with my grandkids and right now that is almost impossible! So I am motivated and plan to stick to the plan! Thanks for being there to share with...

scarletlily23
05-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Also, quick question for those of you who have done this... were you super hungry on the plan? did you eventually get used to the hunger? I really struggle with portion control and am wondering what people's experiences with the tiny amounts of food have been.

I'm not that hungry. I only get hungry around the times that it's time for me to eat.

Elstyle
05-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Wow, I lost 5 pounds last week and I am past the water loss stage! I am very happy. I will enjoy it now because I know next week may not be as productive. I am rarely hungry and yes it is usually right at the time for my next meal. I did wake up one night with a rumbling stomach but I went right back to sleep, so it didn't bother me. I do finally have more energy. It took a couple weeks for me to feel that way. Which shows how far downhill I was getting! I am looking forward to actually looking a little thinner which probably won't be until about Christmas. One day at a time, one meal at a time...

Bones1928
05-22-2012, 02:37 AM
Woohoo!!! :d

Riddy
05-22-2012, 11:38 AM
Hooray for 5 pounds, Elstyle!

Keep it up and you will see a difference LONG before Christmas - your pants will be falling off of you by 4th of July, I bet!

Elstyle
05-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks Riddy and Bones! That would be great to see some good results by the 4th! I have a lot to go!!!! So one day at a time...

Elstyle
05-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Hi, I have been very happy with this program. I have lost another 3 pounds. I just hope I can keep up this momentum!!! I had another challenge last Saturday...a family reunion, reception. The food was served buffet style, so I was able to choose my lean and green. I stuck to the crudite and the broiled chicken. Even though I was the official cake cutter, I didn't have any and my only cheat was a small glass of champagne! I felt very proud of myself because I didn't feel deprived. I had a wonderful time. Next week is the Bridal Shower...!

Bones1928
05-30-2012, 06:55 PM
That is wonderful and amazing!!! :D

I swear to you if I'd had that cake in front of me, I'd have eaten some. Really craving cakes this week.

Elstyle
06-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Well...I made it through another land mine... The Wedding Shower... I tasted rather than ate, if that makes sense. It was impossible to stay with just a lean and green meal option, so I just took dabs of what was there and I must say it was very tasty, enjoyable, and satisfying. But I didn't feel like I overate at all. I did get out of my plan, but I think I am learning how to eat at these big affairs without overdoing like I normally would. I was noticing how my slim relatives eat and it was interesting. I notice they do restrict themselves in some way or another. I didn't know that. I thought they could just eat whatever they wanted and not get fat. But I see that they have their own perameters and stick with them. I never did that before. I would just haul off and eat anything and everything I liked and take leftovers home. I asked one of my slim relatives why she wasn't having any of the cookies. She said that she can resist if her favorite cookie isn't there. Her favorite is oatmeal raisin. So when she see them, she can have them, but if they aren't there she skips cookies!!!! Hmmm... So, I am planning on establishing my own rules for future eating situations. I lost another 4 pounds last week!!! But I don't know how to update my signature happy faces! I would appreciate some help with this. I am very excited about Medifast. It is working for me...I don't know why but it is. I am not going to jinx it with overanalysis! The best part for me is that it is quick! I can walk into the kitchen fix a shake or a soup, even if it take 5 min. to soak, or mix up a brownie and cook in the microwave, and that's it! Quick, easy, satisfying is working for me. Yes, I add herbs, spices, etc. I look forward to my lean and green for sure, but even that is quick to prepare if I plan it that way. I don't want to spend tons of time cooking. I am live alone so of course that helps. Anyway that is where I am at today. Let's see what this week brings. Thanks to all of you who check in. I apprecite you.

Riddy
06-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Hey Elstyle,
Great job! I'm still learning how to eat at events where the food is laid out in front of me, but I'm improving. Good for you for paying attention and not going crazy!

I went away this weekend and did pretty well. Friday I ate on plan and had 1 diet margarita. Saturday was not entirely on plan - I had no control over my dinner, not enough meat or veggies and it came with starch. I didn't eat the starch, had nuts and some cherry tomatoes I brought with me in the hotel room later, plus 3 diet margaritas. (I was allowing myself 2 drinks a night, so only 1 on Friday meant 3 on Saturday according to my girl math) ;););)

I exercised every day - got up early friday before I left and did yoga, brought my mat with me and did a yoga app on my iphone saturday, and did yoga again last night when I got home. Not too bad!

This Saturday I have a baby shower to go to, so another opportunity to prove I'm learning how to eat right. :p

Keep up the good work!

ETA - to change your ticker, click "user CP" on the upper left, then "edit signature." Scroll down to the box at the bottom, and change your current weight. Then save it!

Elstyle
06-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. You sound like you have things worked out very well for continuing your losses. I know I will be using MF for a long time and so I need to learn to live with it. I kind of think of myself as needing medicine...instead of becoming diabetic or having high blood pressure, etc., I think of my weight loss as a type of health issue that needs resolution. When I think of it like that I don't stray too far from the prescription. Yesterday at the grocery store I started looking around at all the possible items and kept saying to myself, lean and green, lean and green. That helped me make my choices and kept me on track!
I do apprciate having this forum to express myself and to hear from others. It is so good to know others are doing the same things I am and succeeding or working through difficulties. Riddy thanks for your advice and sharing!
Hey...I know I must be dense...but what is user CP? I cannot believe I am having trouble with this!

Elstyle
06-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Ok...I found it...sheesh!

Riddy
06-10-2012, 12:20 AM
I've learned a lot in the last year, but I'm still working on it. I know I still have to figure out how to eat right when there's tempting unhealthy food in front of me.

I did ok at the baby shower today - ate lots from the veggie platter, a little buffalo chicken, 2 mini stuffed mushrooms and the chicken & veggies from inside a wrap. I was able to completely pass by the macaroni salad. There was fruit, which I do miss sometimes, so I had a few blackberries and blueberries. My big cheat was a vodka & club soda and a cupcake. All in all not to bad. Most of the cupcakes on myfitnesspal were around 250 calories - I'm not sure it was worth it. I mean, it was good, but not spectacular. Now the key lime pie vodka was TOTALLY worth the calories - YUM! :drinkup: I had a salad with some plain chicken and just vinegar instead of dressing for dinner, and only 4 MF meals today, so it will almost even out.

You've got a great attitude, and I think you'll keep doing well. I love coming here and knowing there are other people who "get" what I'm doing - even if there are only a few of us.

Bones1928
06-10-2012, 04:51 AM
Hey ladies, hope you're all doing well. Man this is hard. I started this just after the crazy calorie-fest that is the holiday season in the hopes of dealing with fewer temptations, but the summer time? BBQs? Siiiigh :( Here's hoping I can push through and lose all I want to lose before Thanksgiving when I know without a doubt I'll be eating some of my mom's pumpkin pie. Dangit.

Elstyle
06-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Well...I lost only 2 pounds this past week and I stayed on track except for the birthday at Disneyland...but I can be very happy to be losing. I have spent years just constantly gaining and that has to end!!! So to be losing even little by little and feeling great doing it is wonderful. And if you think of it, 2lbs is a lot.

I have the rehearsal dinner coming this Sat. and then next week the wedding. My grandson who is 3 is having a little friend party this week too, but that will be easy to resist wrong eating. I really can actually pass on cake, popsicles, kid candy, etc. But the rehearsal dinner...that is another kettle of fish. I will do my best.

I am headng to lunch with a friend today but it will be easy to have my lean and green salad. One huge success for me has been drinking my one or two cups of coffee black!!!! I would NEVER give up my cream/coffee before. And now I am perfectly fine drinking it black...who knew? That really is a miracle for me!!!

Hang in there Bones...we can do it!!!!

Lyn2007
06-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Hang in there even if you have a slower week. It all evens out in the end. I got to a point that I had no desire to eat at all and had to force down my Lean & Greens. Appetite was gone! Amazing for a former binge eater.

Elstyle
06-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks Lyn, I plan to hang in there with it. I made it through grandson's birthday yesterday eating my S'mores bar and lots of ice tea! I had a great time and felt good that I stayed away from the cake, candy, chips, etc.

However, I did have one bad day earlier in the week. I left the house forgetting my food for the day!!!!! I thought I could handle it and wait until I got back home. But I got way too hungry. So I stopped for a lean and green but...I didn't keep it lean or green!!!!! Boo hoo... However, I did turn it around the next day and had the success at the party. Yay!!!

So the next land mine is the rehearsal dinner this Saturday. I will do my best. :)

karmich
06-19-2012, 11:33 AM
I have been on Medifast for 2 month and have lost 30 lbs so I am not complaining. I have done pretty good avoiding cheating on the plan but have made the decision to have a couple of things that are not on plan. I am not recommending this to anyone but for me it helps to know I do not have to be so strict that I have no room for a small treat. My DD who knows I'm on a "health plan"- I'm starting to love the term(more about this later) asked me about catfish nugget I ate which she didn't want (I cooked them for father's day and they were ooooh soooooo good) which I wouldn't have normally done. I was so proud of myself when I said to her "Over half my plate is sald with some shrimp and a small piece of beef so one small nugget isn't the worse thing I can do". The reason I was proud is that healthy plate of food is becoming more like second nature for me and that's exactly where I need to be for permanent success.

When I went on Medifast I told my family so they would know and be supportive but my children especially my DD had the tendency to tell others outside the family (read as "anyone she met") that "my mom is on a diet". I just didn't like hearing that for many reasons. My DD has Asperger's and we are working on impulse control so just saying stop it just didn't work. So I took time to explain that mommy was on a "health plan" to improve her health not just lose weight. So I would hear her say to her brother's "Mommy can't eat that, she's on a health plan" when they wanted me to finish their fries. At first I just thought, "Yay, it worked she's not calling it a diet anymore" but now I'm really embodying that and loving it.

Sorry for the long post - I really posted to asked for some tips for staying on plan while I'm in Florida in two weeks time. Now this is going to be a challenge! We are staying at a resort so we will have a microwave. I, of course, will bring my meals but any other pointers would be great.

Thanks in advance ;)

Elstyle
06-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Hi Karmich,
I don't have much advice for traveling but another writer said that having a microwave is essential, so you should be in good shape. I have had to plan my days away from home and just take everything I need...not being able to use a heat source. So it is bars, shakes, snacks. I think the best thing is that you feel satisfied as you eat frequently through the day and then it is very good to have "real food" in your lean and green at least once a day. Good luck.

Riddy
06-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Hi karmich,

I did 11 days in Florida in April, and stayed on plan for all except a couple meals (which were planned "cheats").

I had a small order of Medifast food shipped down there, because I was staying with family. I did mostly bars and pretzels. If we went out to lunch, I had the chili for dinner. I did hot cocoa a couple nights for my evening snack, but mostly I was perfectly happy to have lots of bars , because I usually keep myself to just 1 or 2 a day.

Stick to the plan as much as you can, and let yourself have a little off plan time a couple of the days if you want.

Good luck!

Elstyle
06-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Rehearsal dinner report: Weeellll....I did eat some bread and the carrot cake dessert, but the rest was lean protein, salad, veggies...and we had a glass of champagne for a toast. I was not too happy with myself afterward because I could have very easily stayed with my LandG but didn't!

However, I am not going to kick myself too much. I still lost 2 pounds and that was weighing 3 days later. The worst is that I probably would have lost more. But, I really am seeing how much I should not be eating and how far off track I was before. And I am seeing how important it is to put good things into your stomach rather than just "pleasing" things. For some reason my persective is changing. It is like a switch was turned on in my head and that is really new for me.
Now...on to the wedding! this Sunday. I will plan my cheats and assert some control where, before, there was absolutely NO control! I think I am finally getting it. :)