Faith Based Support Groups - Christian Encouragers ~ MAY

View Full Version : Christian Encouragers ~ MAY

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-02-2012, 04:07 PM
:angel: Welcome Friends :angel:
--------------------------

You've found a great place to come
and vent, share or ask for prayer support.
This is a great group who will be very
encouraging, caring and loving....
....anyone is welcome to join!

A Servant's Prayer --

Jesus, My Jesus....How marvelous are your ways....
Far more splendid than my mind can envision.
What an honor to be chosen by you.
A lowly child I am, but empowered by the Holy Spirit
to fulfill the great hope to which you have called me.
I give myself totally to you, Lord.
Take my imperfect heart and make it perfect.
Peel away the hardness.
Close the doors I have opened to the temptations of this world.
Gently remove the roots of painful memories, sins, doubts and fears.
Discard anything that separates me from you.
Lord, fill the emptiness with the light of your love
that I might be a beacon calling the lost back to you.

To love as you love.....
To serve as you serve.....
To forgive as you forgive.....
Always mindful of my nothingness while doing great
and marvelous things in your name and for your glory.
This I pray, Jesus, in YOUR name ...
Amen.

:angel:

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-02-2012, 04:17 PM
So right you are, TRISH ... here's our new MAY thread! We have been side-tracked the last couple of days. DH heard that a good friend of his is in a coma, and he's been very upset (we put a prayer request in for him in the Prayer Warriors Thread). Been trying to keep things light around here for him.

We had to go up town today to pay some bills and other errands. It was a lovely warm day to do it, but the wind was so strong it was sending sand flying everywhere including our mouths ... blech! The town fairies were out in numbers watering down the streets and cleaning up, patching holes, etc. The winds have died down now and it's clouding over a bit; ah, shucks! ;)

:welcome: TRISH ~ glad that you decided to come back and rejoin us. I find this group very encouraging to me on my journey. I am chipping away at it, bit by bit. Seeing lots of improvement over this last year. I hope to see about 4 lbs off by end of next month to get over the 100 lb mark. I'm just delaying the weigh-in becuz I lose rather slowly (2-3 lbs a month over the winter).

I just noticed that it was a new month when I was doing my monthly books (for the end of April; start of May). Then I had to change my calendar and came in here to see that I needed to make the new thread. We have good news that we are going to be able to build the small back deck and ramp this month. Managed to save up enuff to do it over the winter. The guy should be starting it very soon; I have to call him today as well.

Have a Marvellous Month of May, everyone ... :D

pattygirl63
05-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the welcome back Rosebud. So sorry about DH friend and pray for healing for him and for God to give your hubby peace.

I always try to pray before I even got out of bed so this morning, I prayed for all of us here in this group that we would have a great OP day. Almost read all the April posts.

Rosebud - I enjoyed reading what you eat. I've tried so many things, but I've about decided to just eat healthy balanced meals. I can't do strict Atkin's type low carb and don't want to do more moderate like Ducan. I know someone who does that one and she looks great. #1 I can't go nothing but portein one day although I don't think I'd have problems with eating nothing but veggies the next. I really like having my fruit. We finally found corn-on-the-cob that is really good and DH and I both love it. I can give up wheat most of the time, but not willing to have to check for it in everything. I think it is great that Bootsie and others can give those things up and I know that I probably should and there are times I can do it, but I just can't do it on a regular basis. I'm just trying to eat healthier balanced meals at least 90% of the time.

I've learned I'm not a person who can plan my daily meals in advance because if I do, I think I have to eat it all even when I don't have time to get it all in for the day and I'm not hungry. So I am trying to track my calories, but track them only as I eat instead of planning ahead of time. However I do set a maximum amount that I will allow myself.

Rosebud - I noticed you said that you cycle calories and it seems to be working for you. I read about that and understand the concept. It makes sense to me. How do you figure you cycling? Do you have sets amounts for each day or just eat more or less depending on how your hunger is from day to day?

Bootsie, Bargoo, Gary and Everyone else:wave:

Have a blessed day!

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-03-2012, 04:16 PM
... or just eat more or less depending on how your hunger is from day to day?

YES, but I do have a rough idea of what I am going to eat, but it's not written in stone, and sometimes, I change my mind. I try to go between 1500-1800 most days, but at least once a week I don't mind if it goes up to my maintenance amount which is 2000 (like on Fridays).

What I do is -- I eat what I want and journal my calories as I go throughout the day. After dinner, I can see what I have left for a snack. I look to see what I ate the day before; if I ate low, then that day I eat higher. If I ate high the day before, I eat lower the next day. Otherwise, I go by how I feel: if I feel hungry, I eat more; if I feel OK, I eat less.

I do have a basic menu outline that I use each week, but I may change the meals according to what I have on hand and what we feel like eating that day. Here's a sample of what I mean...

MONDAY -- beef or pork with rice/barley/veggies; or new potatoes/veggies
TUESDAY -- either fish or chicken with salad, veggies, corn, etc
WEDNESDAY -- pasta: often with lean hamburger/ it varies what kind
THURSDAY -- fish or chicken; same as Tuesday; often switch them
FRIDAY -- baked pizza or hamburgers or subs or chicken tenders or bbq
SATURDAY -- baked/roasted or deli chicken/tators/salad for me
SUNDAY -- leftover chicken; either roasted, baked, or deli bbq; salad

Saturday/Sunday -- I usually plan chicken/turkey of some kind.
Monday -- pork chops, or roast beef/pork, or Shepherd's Pie, or steak
Tuesday & Thursday -- usually fish or chicken/turkey of some kind
Wednesday -- spagetti & meatballs, or tomato patties, or hamburg steak
Fridays -- we have something we love just for fun ...

NOTE: some days, we may just have hot dogs/beans; or a sandwich. Esp, in the summer, we eat more hamburgers, hot dogs, bbqs, salads, etc. In the winter, I make more soups, stews, oven dishes, etc.

BREAKFASTS -- I rotate between eggs/omelettes + 1 tst, or cereal, or a medium whole grain bagel/pb, according to what I feel like; and often start with a fruit (banana/orange). E2A: sometimes, I have a wg english muffin instead of toast.

LUNCHES -- again I just eat what I want; sometimes soup & sandwich, or veggie pita pizza, or leftovers, or eggs, if I didn't have that for breakfast (i.e. egg salad). I try to have tuna and/or salmon each week.

SNACKS -- I choose from fruit (esp apples/pears/peaches/berries), yogurt, UNsalted nuts, baby carrots, cheeze, whole grain soda crackers; and cereal (measured) or bread/pb, if I am short on my calories; tea/cocoa. I measure everything -- especially nuts, crackers, cereal, and cooked pasta (1 cup cooked).

Hope this helps ... :D

--------------------

PS ~ when I was younger, I could get away with a lower carb menu, but now I can't. I have to eat "some" complex grain carbs or my blood sugar dips too low, and I feel too hungry. And since I want this to last for the rest of my life, it has to be something that I can stick to. I can stick to this, and be contented.

I sometimes have corn instead of potatoes, but sometimes we have sweet potatoes or small "new" potatoes for me; or we may have beans, or brown rice & barley mix (half & half). Occasionally, I may have only meat & veggies & salad; but will have grains for breakfast & lunch.

I had to do trial & error for the exact amounts I used. Becuz I started higher, I try not to go below 1500, but often have to add something to bring it up over that. At the top end, I try to keep it around 1800/1850, but have a cap of 2000 for maintenance.

I figured it out for 1-2 lbs a week, but since I can't do as much exercise as others, I am using the low end (1850). Of course, these parameters don't always work out as they say. I lost about 2-3 lbs per month last winter, so you can see the difference.

For you, that would be between 1300 & 1800 calories per day; but you could probably still lose between 1450 & 1850, if you are moderately active. I am going lower simply becuz I am not very active (I walk with two canes); trying to make up for that.

auntnelly
05-03-2012, 05:26 PM
RosebudYou are amazing with your menu! I wish I could be more organized with ours. Still feeding myself and 7 others is a chore on a tight or no budget...my dental hygienist said just he and his wife have found their food money doesn't last long enough before their next pay check. If a family of 2 is noticing, believe me, we are :) I was looking at prices yesterday and some have doubled, like for a bag of flour, in the last 3 or 4 years. Eggs have as well.

I am still impressed with you Rosebud, you are an inspiration.

I have been feeling some better. I know I have issues that I don't understand, but I need to move past that and try to do better with my diet with what I have available to me.

I am about a month into my experiment .
I quit Zumba, sugar free foods and ate only full sugar desserts to see if there was an issue with the artificial sweetener. I think I have had 2 sugar free things in the last nearly 4 weeks.

Pretty much right at first the heart palpitations were less severe in the night after stopping Zumba. However, I still get them, nearly every night and I am beginning to wonder if I get them and don't wake up and notice them even though I have them every night.

Weight-wise, it is pretty much the same as before. Even with no exercise and eating sugared desserts, instead of sugar free. And really changing nothing else. My weight has fluctuated about the same as before these changes, no loss and no gain. Odd, since exercising should be helping burn calories.

I am finding I need more sleep than I used to. I have always needed alot of sleep, but now I feel the best after a good 8 hours minimum. One night we went to sleep at 9:30 and I probably got around 9 hours or so of sleep, interrupted some, but a good nights sleep and I felt much better.

headaches and neck pain really related to how I sit and look at the computer. I really need to STAND otherwise my neck is a mess.

So the next step is to make some diet changes and see if anything changes. So far exercise didn't help much probably because it caused me more stress for some reason.

pattygirl63
05-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Rosebud You are a sweetie. Yes you are a real help and an inspiration. I remember you from the diabetic thread as well as this one when I was here before. You have really done great. I am so very happy for you. Thanks so much for taking the time to share all this info with me. I printed it out for reference. I could do 1400 to 1800. My doc told me in the beginning to eat 1800 calories, but I'm from the days when we ate 1000 to 1200 calories a day and that seemed way too high so I talked him into 1400.
Journaling as I go is the way I like to do the calorie counting. I use livestrong.com right now, but I used to just use a college spiral notebook and I think it would really be easier to go back to doing just that. You like a lot of the same foods I do and you are organized like I was when my previous hubby was living and our kids were home. Everyone pretty well knew what we were going to eat on each day of the week. It was easy to cook for them to because there was very little they didn't like. Unlike the present DH who is Mr. Picky.:dizzy: I have actually made up my own exercise routine. DH daughter, her hubby and 4 kids have moved in with us and my house is so wall to wall and I lost my exercise spot. So I actually do most of my exercise in the bathroom in the morning before I get dressed. Someday when she gets out of nursing school and has a job and move, I will get my exercise area back. Until then I just do the best that I can. I think the last time I was here that you and your hubby were working on a place to move into in the country. Am I right?

The main thing I have to do right now is get off the stupid chips (too much salt for me) and the hard candy I've got in the habit of eating lately. I include them in the calorie count so it doesn't really hurt my bs, but I think the blood sugar would be even better if I wouldn't eat that stuff. Just have to stop picking up the stuff when I get that junk for DH.

Nelly - Do you drink coffee with caffiene? I used to get palpitations when I drank too much coffee. I switched to decaf for a while until the palpitations stopped. Now I drink only on mug of regular coffee a day and have no problems. I recently had 2 cups when we went out for breakfast and had no problem, but I wouldn't do that on a regular basis. I would be afraid of having the palpitations return.

Bootsie - How is TX? Were you in all those bad storms they had a while back? You are so blessed that your DH will explore and try new ways of eating with you. I think giving up wheat is smart, just wish I could get my mind around that concept. I used to do that and did well, I just can't seem to do low carbing any more.

auntnelly
05-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Trish I was told about the caffeine connection, and I never drink coffee, I don't like it and I totally stopped drinking caffeine ever in pop because it keeps me awake....and the palpitations as well. The only thing I might eat that would cause it is chocolate, and I have looked and I'd have to eat quite a bit in order to get any where near the level of drinking a cup of coffee.

coffee about 133 mg for 8 ozs
Hershey's kisses, or example 9 of them is 9 mg

I don't eat chocolate every day, so I don't think it is caffeine, but if I am really sensitive to it, I suppose it might make a difference, although if I eat it at 3pm would it really cause palpitations during the night?

....good suggestion though, lots of folks drink coffee...

It feels like my heart stops, or a skipped beat.

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks, NELLY ~ I understand really, food costs a fortune here; I'm sure double or more what you all pay. When we were very young (under ten), we often didn't have any meat for dinner at all (ate soups & pasta a lot) -- so my brother would go fishing just so we could have some meat 1-2 times during the week. My mom would save up all week, so we could have a roast, chicken, or a turkey on the weekend.

Then we moved to a farm so we could grow our own food and raise our own meat. We had 200 chickens, 200 pigs, several beef cattle, and one milking cow (Betsy) who gave piles of milk. We also had sheep, geese, and a horse & two ponies, plus 2 dogs and lots of cats; and we boarded horses too (to help pay costs). We had a fruit orchard with apples, pears, and a big cherry tree (yummy). Smart move by my parents; so we were able to eat a lot better.

Then mom got a job in a nursing home as a nurse's aide; and Dad re-apprenticed as an auto mechanic (while still on the farm). Then we moved into town where they started two businesses of their own (one at a time). That helped us with food too; our store provided the income for our food, and we could get food wholesale through it as well. Once the store was going well, Dad started his own auto shop. Very smart once again.

Anyhoo, they had to try many things over the years. We've done the same. We had to learn to garden and be frugal. Today, we are blessed to have more where we live. With only two of us, it is easier but like you said, food prices are crazy. A jar of Kraft peanut butter is $8.00 each for only 1 kg; so I told DH this month -- sorry, you are downgrading to a house brand. He is a peanut butter nut, but said that's OK. ;)

TRISH ~ thanks, and your welcome. Actually, we moved into town from the country. We rented for about three years, and last year, we bought a house. Heck, it's cheaper to own here than rent, and we don't have that many places available either, so they are building a lot here right now. So of course, the house prices are sky-rocketing; boy, we bought at the right time. Praize GOD for that ... :D

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-03-2012, 09:38 PM
NELLY ~ many women get palpitations when they go through peri-menopause and menopause. I had some today when I was discussing politics with my DH; think I'll avoid that topic from now on. It has nothing to do with him, I just get so ticked off at all the political bull and mis-information that is shovelled out around here. :dizzy:

pattygirl63
05-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Trish I was told about the caffeine connection, and I never drink coffee, I don't like it and I totally stopped drinking caffeine ever in pop because it keeps me awake....and the palpitations as well. The only thing I might eat that would cause it is chocolate, and I have looked and I'd have to eat quite a bit in order to get any where near the level of drinking a cup of coffee.

coffee about 133 mg for 8 ozs
Hershey's kisses, or example 9 of them is 9 mg

I don't eat chocolate every day, so I don't think it is caffeine, but if I am really sensitive to it, I suppose it might make a difference, although if I eat it at 3pm would it really cause palpitations during the night?

....good suggestion though, lots of folks drink coffee...

It feels like my heart stops, or a skipped beat.

I figured you knew about the caffeine, but thought I would mention it. I don't know much about the chocolate, but doesn't sound like enough to be a problem. Of course, I don't know much about how it would/could effect an extreme sensitivity. I eat chocolate and have no palpitations from it. I pray you will be able to find the problem.

lilywinsit
05-05-2012, 05:06 AM
New here, just found your thread tonight and going to read the posts tomorrow, to tired tonight... seems like a real caring group and a perfect place for me.
See you soon!

bargoo
05-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Lily, welcome ! This is a great group of caring people, I hope you will join in .

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-05-2012, 12:00 PM
:welcome: LILY ~ glad you found us over here. It would be nice to have another Canadian join us as well. :D

pattygirl63
05-05-2012, 05:55 PM
:welcome3:Lily. Glad to have you here. I just came back to this group. They are a great caring group. Look forward to getting to know you.

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-07-2012, 05:03 PM
:wave: HELLO EVERYONE ~ well, we have had lots of :sunny: today and temps up to 78 F today. So thrilled that the guy came to build our back deck & ramp today. DH helped him; and they got it almost half of it done already. The guy had to go to work, so they'll start again on the ramp base early tomorrow morning.

It has clouded over now but becuz there is a sun roof over top, they will be out of the rain, if any comes; and the temps are supposed to stay nice -- so we are praying that they do. He thinks they should have it all done by Wednesday as long as everything goes OK. :D

Eating has been going well this month so far. I wanted to share the 4th/last week of April meals as well ...

SUNDAY ~ leftover roast chicken; new potatoes; veggies
MONDAY ~ hamburger steak & onions & beans; raw veggies w/ranch dressing
TUESDAY ~ beans & chicken franks; slice wg bread; raw veggies
WEDNESDAY ~ wg spagettini & HM bacon/pepper/chzy/tomato/veggie sauce
THURSDAY ~ baked fish; corn; salad; sliced tomatoes
FRIDAY ~ baked chicken wings; salad; 1/2 cup milk
SATURDAY ~ chicken breast; small new potato; corn; salad
SUNDAY ~ leftover chicken breast; np; veggies
MONDAY ~ lean rib pork chop; brown rice/barley mix; veggies

BREAKFASTS ~ egg/2 slc bacon/tst; 1.5 egg omelettes/tst (2 days); wg bagel/pb (3 days); eggwich (2 days); egg on english muffin/chz. Fruit: banana; orange; peaches; pears.

LUNCHES ~ pb sandwich; chicken salad sandwich; veggie pita pizza (2days); leftovers: chicken breast/wings (3 days); toasted tuna/tomato sandwich (2 days); soup; baby carrots.

SNX ~ apples; pears; baby carrots; nuts; yogurt; cereal; pudding; chz; HM bran muffin; tea; cocoa.

bargoo
05-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Printer suggestions
I have a Dell computer and Dell printer, my printer has gone bad and I am going to replace it. I do not want another Dell
Any ideas ?
I am considering
Canon
Hewlett Packard
Epson
I am open to suggestion.

auntnelly
05-07-2012, 10:57 PM
I have always liked our Canon printers. I am on my 2nd one. I like the models that allow you to change the ink in separate cartridges, like I have 5, not just a black and color, but all separate. Ours has a scanner as well, and jacks for some different kinds of camera cards. the only thing I don't like is that when using the memory card jacks, you can't load them to the computer, at least I can't find a way to, but it is an older model as well. It is a Pixma(?) MP610

pattygirl63
05-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Rosebud - Thanks so much for sharing your menus. You know I'm learning to think of food pretty much like I did as a kid... it's just food. I've eaten enough diet food that I should be underweight. I decided that since I'm counting calories, I'm just going to enjoy "real" food. I'll be cooking more things I can make on my. There are a lot of things that we like to eat when we go out to eat but I can make a lower calorie healthier versions of them at home. Thanks for being an example and inspiration to us.

Bargoo - Sorry I can't help you with the printer. I think we had a Canon before too and it was so easy to use. We have a Hewlett Packard now and it prints good, but I have never figured out how to do much with it. Not as easy as Canon was. I would definitely check things out before getting a new one. I thought it was just me, but DH had to really work to learn to do things and complains that he can't do a lot of things he did with the old one. I think the ink color are separte like the one that auntnelly has, but there's one color, not sure which one, we constantly have to replace and you can't buy them individually. DH is constantly saying he wishes he had never bought this one and he wants to replace it. So it is hard fot know which one is best. I pray you'll be able to find what you want.

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-08-2012, 01:40 PM
BARGOO ~ all of those printers are good brands -- but I have heard Epson recommended the most. I do know that HP products last a long time & their quality is high (my laptop is HP; my old desktops were HP; as was my camera). Canons are poplular right now, but as others have said, they may not all be the same; and I find it interesting that they don't seem to be lasting. You want one that is user-friendly. So just keep asking: maybe put a thread in the General Chatter area where you may get more replies.

Be back later; DH & worker need lunch ... :D

OK, I'm back -- I made their lunch this morning, and just had to serve it to them. I just had leftover Stroganoff with lots of veggies from last night's dinner; that's so handy (just warm it up in the micro).

TRISH ~ yes, I make a lot of stuff myself; and we save a lot of money that way. I make homemade oatmeal muffins & banana loaves for DH's snacks: I make them low-cal, so I can eat them too (I make lots & freeze some). I make extra soups/base & sauces and freeze them too (i.e. pasta sauces).

I buy lean meats, but stretch the meals with lots of veggies that are on sale. I do buy some things when they come on sale: like pot pies for DH's lunches. He likes stuff he can just throw in the micro in a pinch. Often I make extra dinner, and we have it for lunch the next day (like today). I have a crockpot & rice cooker that I use in the summer instead of the oven. The crockpot takes longer, but the rice cooker can make meals very quickly too.

Well, they are more than halfway done the back deck; just the floor to finish and the slats. We woke up to cool temps (only 48 F), so the furnace came back on. At least it hasn't rained on them; so they should get it finished by tomorrow for sure. Now that I have a deck right outside the kitchen door, I can use my BBQ this summer ... :D

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-10-2012, 08:03 PM
:wave: HI EVERYONE ~ we have had lovely :sunny: all day, but it was cool here becuz we had some terrific winds all day too -- enuff to chill you to the bone. :brr:

Yahoo, DH and a friend finished the deck today! It took one more day than they thought as the ramp stumped them just a bit (it was the first one they had built). They did a fantastic job and it looks great, and DH was glad to be a help as well. It will be so nice to sit out there (finally) and be able to have BBQ's this summer/fall ... :D

BTW, thanks for all your prayers for DH and his friend's family. Hope you all have a Fabulous Friday tomorrow ... :flow2:

auntnelly
05-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Frustrating day today. I had decided last night I was going to start over and try and be more controlled with my eating. Today I was confronted with all my hardest to resist foods. Totally blew it and totally don't know what to do. I just want to give up, but when I give up I gain, when I try I maintain and not having what I like to eat and then not seeing any results from the sacrifice is just too hard to take.

bargoo
05-10-2012, 11:08 PM
NOTE TO CALIFORNIA VOTERS

Please remember to vote on June 5
I would like to suggest that you vote Yes on Prop 29
This prop would add $1.00 to the price of a package of cigarettes.
Additional funds will go to cancer research,smoking recuction programs and tobacco law enforcement.

I am not a politician and I am not running for an office of any kind.

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-11-2012, 04:37 PM
NELLIE ~ that is why so many people prefer to use "calorie counting" for their eating plan -- you can still eat what you like, but just in measured portions. There are only a few things that I don't eat, but the small sacrifice for my health is well worth it, to me.

We have to start thinking from a "health" perspective, not just if we are 20 lbs or more than we'd like to be. Eating high-nutrient foods, in moderate amounts, will result in better health overall -- but that does take some time.

Even though I am not at the weight I need to be yet, I have had many positive changes that are good for my health -- balanced blood sugar levels, normal cholesterol level, lower blood pressure (the best I can recall since my early twenties), and lower weight. My knees still have a way to go, but they are much better than before; and I believe they will only get better as times goes by.

I wish more people would look at this as the spiritual journey that it is. GOD loves us just the way we are. Why people don't want to believe that or accept His Amazing Grace is beyond me. As the LORD JESUS told Paul ...

MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR THEE ... 2 Corinthians 12:9

While our weight issues may be seen as a weakness by some, JESUS says in that same verse, that His strength is made perfect in weakness.

The more important thing is that we just do the best we can, and let GOD do the rest; and put our focus back on living our lives to the fullest. We need to know what priorities GOD has for us. He wants us to look outwards -- away from ourselves to others: helping others in whatever way we can.

GOD loves us, and He wants us to loves ourselves too. Then we can spend our lives helping the poor, the widows, the orphans, the oppressed, and learning to do justice -- which is the "sacrifice" HE really wants ~ Isaiah, chapter 1 ... :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-11-2012, 04:53 PM
BARGOO ~ I was reading today that your government is also considering putting a bigger tax on soft drinks & fast foods. I think they should do that on everything that can lead to ill health & social problems -- ciggies, booze, pop, junk foods, fast foods, casinos, and lottery tickets, etc.

I would like to see our government take this action too. That way the "less healthy" foods would cost more; and the healthier ones, like vegetables and fruit would be lower. They could start with pop, chocolate bars, chips (et al), and all restaurant fast foods. These taxes could then be used for health care, food banks & other food programs, and helping poor people by raising their incomes (i.e. seniors, disabled, low-income families, etc.).

We did that with the cigarettes in Canada, and people have been quitting in droves. I think a pack of ciggies sells for about $8.00 + retail. I think the "cancer pictures" on the packages helped too. DH and I quit -- it was just too expensive and not good for our health.

ronni62
05-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Hi, everyone! I've missed being here for the last few days-missed my computer & tv & everything at home, but did have a nice time taking care of Mom. Had to take her out of the care center, as they just couldn't seem to deal with her issues-wouldn't tell her what meds they were giving her, kept bringing her food she's allergic to, and the physical therapist manipulated her new hip to the point of excruciating pain, even though he had NO instruction to do any kind of hip manipulations at all! The last straw was when they sent a male aide to do her shower with her-ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!!! When they have plenty of female aides, why on earth would they send a male to do a woman's shower? She called me in tears and we decided it would just be better for her to be home, so I stayed with her until last night. My sister finally decided she'd better help out, so she came yesterday and will stay with Mom for a few days, then we'll have to see how Mom's doing. I may have to go back up to stay with her for a few days again.

I've realized that my sister is a nitpicker. She has a snippy comment to make about everything anyone does or eats or says and it drives me crazy! I just made a couple excuses yesterday to get out of there and then my DH and DS2 and I went to Culvers for supper (DS3 was at a girl's soccer game with his coach).

Speaking of DS3, he has had a serious setback with his leg/knee issue. He has severe inflammation of the patellar tendon, which is causing him pain just walking, not to mention running, etc. The therapist has said that if the therapy doesn't allow some positive change by end of this week, she's going to refer him to a specialist. He's very bummed about not getting to play in many of the soccer games this season:( I keep reminding him he has 2 more high school years if we can get his leg healed properly this time.

And, so, I don't know if it's just due to all the stress lately, but my arthritis is killing me & it's making me crabby as heck!!!!

Sorry about griping.....I'm praying for you all, including our newbies! Happy Mother's Day!

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-12-2012, 08:00 PM
:hug: to you and yours, RONNIE ~ boy, you always seem to have something goin' on, eh? Sending up ^prayers^ for your mother, JUNE -- I wouldn't want a male aide either; what were they thinking? Not thinking, is my guess! They should have asked her about that first. Some people think it's OK becuz we sometimes see male doctors (we're not always given a choice, are we?) -- but hey, they don't bath us ... :dizzy: And, some people see female doctors and practitioners for that very reason.

^Prayers^ going up for your DS3 and his leg/knee & pain: ouch, sure know about that. And of course, for your arthritis -- you don't need that too. You poor girl, no wonder you're stressed. :hug:

We've had beautiful :sunny: for most of the day; so I put some laundry out to dry as well. It is so nice to be able to use my ramp and deck on nice days like this. I can reach my clothes line now without worrying if I may fall on my face/head -- it's a lot easier too.

Our kind neighbour (GOD bless him) came over and helped us sort out our fuse box; our outside plug-ins blew when making the deck. Turns out DH's tools are high amp, so the worker went home and got his which were lower. My Dad told me that DH needs to buy smaller, less powerful tools. :lol: I've started a tool box for myself for upstairs; think I'll invest in a few more -- maybe a drill, a small saw, etc. ;)

Hope all you moms out there have a lovely MOTHER'S DAY tomorrow ... :val3:

EZMONEY
05-13-2012, 09:42 AM
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY LADIES!

auntnelly
05-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Hope everyone had a great Mother's Day !

Rosebud thank you so much for the encouragement. I really needed that. I have been looking at the health part of loosing for several years now. It just makes it seem more impossible than ever....ie, "just loose 10% of your body weight and reduce your risk of diabetes" Yes, very good, but I can't seem to loose a pound ... I'm fighting hormones and life-changes and a poor food selection. Eating less is an option, even though I don't eat alot. My Daughter and I had a talk last night and are formulating a plan. She moves out first of July and we want to create new habits before that.

I did go to a grocery store I never visited before. They don't always have the same things but it might save us some money.
They had an article in the newspaper about the store, when it changed owners and I decided to go. The regular grocery stores return the damaged food to their warehouse, and a company buys it up. This company then sells it by the semi-load to people, and this grocery is one that purchases it. They have dented cans and torn or crushed boxes and out dated items.

I looked around and decided I didn't like the dented cans at all, and if it was too outdated forget it. But the crushed or torn boxes are perfectly OK, everything inside is fine and sealed. Like a box of Cherrios for $2 instead of $3.78, or taco shells for 50 cents. They have some full priced items like Wisconsin cheeses and some ground beef, etc. I'm going to go back. The article said one can't count on them having the same items available each time, but if I go there before the other store, I can maybe buy things there instead for less money.

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-14-2012, 08:06 PM
NELLY ~ We have only one grocery store here, but they sometimes do that too. They give a lot of their damaged stuff to our local food bank, but they usually have a small bin in the store that isn't too bad. The dinted cans are OK if they tops/bottoms aren't rounded (meaning ready to explode); if it's just a little dint, it's OK. I used to work in stores myself, so I know this; and I've bought some too, as they usually sell them for about 50% off.

That's a good idea to go to that store first, then buy the sales at the other grocery store, and department or bulk stores too. Do you have "Dollar" stores there? You can often find good food items, spices, condiments, household cleaners, dish soap, and many other things -- much, much cheaper than anywhere else.

I buy our basic groceries at the beginning of the month (going to two places to get the best deals first; one is a department store). Then for the rest of the month, we just pick up the sales and the fresh food items (like eggs bread, salad stuff/veggies, etc). I find that we save even more money that way. Every now & then, I go to the bulk food store and the dollar store to get the best deals there too; usually, stocking up for 1-2 months.

Our local drug store has recently expanded and everyone is saying that they are now offering more grocery food items at lower prices as well. So when I have to go there for anything, I check out what they have too (but it has to be lower than the other places or I won't buy anything).

We had lovely :sunny: weather all day today -- actually, it got up to 80 F ... can you believe that for May? Wow, that's :hot: for here. Not complaining though -- it's better than that other stuff ... which we won't mention, right? ;)

Have a terrifice Tuesday, everyone ... :flow2:

auntnelly
05-15-2012, 08:05 PM
well unfortunately our money doesn't come in so we can purchase large amounts of food at a time. We used to do that years ago and go out of town to a discount store and stock lots and lots of basics for a month or more. Can't afford that now. We are self employed and the money trickles in some months and we have to be careful what we spend or we don't have money for the business bills when they come in, and they can be huge....$2000 to $3000 some months for just part of the bills.

We have had cooler weather than normal here. May and in the 40s at night has been really nice. Turned off the air conditioner which will save lots of money as well.

My daughter and i are starting to diet some. I am using mydailyplate web site to track calories...started yesterday, but today is going better. Yesterday I had tried not to eat carbs and by afternoon I was craving them something awful. Today, I am eating small amounts of them, and it is helping alot and I can control my eating better. I am back to my life time high weight and I really need that not to remain very long. I fear health related issues if I can't lower the weight.

You can see my ticker says "weight gained" so you can see I went backwards a bit. I hope to update that to a loss here before the end of this week.

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-15-2012, 08:33 PM
NELLY ~ I had to laugh at what you said about stocking up cuz for the two of us that really just means buying 2 of something ... :lol: Like today, the drug store had toilet paper on sale, so I bought two. That's stocking up for us becuz one package will last a month. ;)

That wouldn't be the same for a large family like yours. My parents had two businesses but not the same ones; my Dad's would have been similar as the jobs were only booked here & there as people had the money, but when money was tight, there were no jobs for my Dad. When our economy was bad, we went through the same thing here. My parents grew a lot of their own food, and raised some chickens, pigs & goats (for milk); that was on the second farm they owned later on.

After weathering that period of time, they moved south, where Mom cleaned motel rooms, then went to work for the government in the health field (she started at the bottom and worked her way up to Administration). Dad used his multi-talents & skills to start another part-time business. My parents lives read like a big saga novel but they sure worked hard, and were creative and tough. We worked for them, and we learned a lot from them too.

Anyways, enough of my family history lesson. We took DH up to the doctors; and he is off all meds until they find out why he was having those seizures. Sure enough seizures, dizzy spells, and heart skips all can be side effects of those meds. I just hope no lasting problems comes from that. DH's blood pressure was a little low today too. So now we wait and see what happens (what tests they want to do).

We had nice weather earlier, but right now we have a lightening :rain: storm going on ... eerily dark out there with thunderboomies, but it's not too bad. Well better get this posted. Have a wonderful Wednesday everyone ... :flow1:

auntnelly
05-15-2012, 09:24 PM
RosebudI had read about your family a few pages back. I was truly and totally amazed at how hard they worked to provide for their families. I believe we have it easy in comparison.

Yeah, stocking up here is buying a 12 pack of toilet paper for a week, and buying and extra for the next week :)
We would spend between $300-400 a month to stock certain items at the store back then, and we only had maybe 6 kids then, and most of them were small. Awww, the days when they were little, and didn't eat half a box of cereal for breakfast each :D

I certainly hope your husband is going to be improving now that he is off the meds. That can't be easy for you.

ronni62
05-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Hi, All! :wave: It's been such a week of ups and downs for us already and I'm just not sure which shoe's going to drop next. Yesterday, my sister said she'd be staying with Mom until Monday, but this morning Mom called and said my sister seems to be sick (again) and is going home tomorrow. For someone who's supposedly the 'healthy' one, my sister is 'sick' an awful lot of the time, but never when she's planning a vacation (which she gets about 8 times a year), only when she's needed to help out with something.

So, Mom's doing somewhat better and is able to get in and out of bed on her own now, so I'll just be stopping in (yeah, a 20 minute drive to 'stop in') to help her remove the TED stockings, shower, etc, etc, for the next week or so. Trying to plan the visits to help her with other trips (like for soccer practice if they continue in the play-offs after Monday), so we aren't going broke on gas $$, although gas prices have gone down here in the last week or so-hope that continues:)

DS3 has the last regular season soccer match tonight & it's parents' night, which I hate, as we have to walk out on the field for introductions and I'm such a huge blob right now, I hate being brought to anyone's attention:o Then, play-offs start Monday, but it's against the team they lost to twice this season. This other team plays dirty and is so practiced at it they never get caught. One of our players was punched in the mouth during the game and none of the refs saw it-he had to leave the field to get the bleeding controlled. I just hate when we have to play teams like that. This team's known to play dirty in regular football games too, so everyone knows what they're like, but they just don't get caught in the act, somehow:mad: Believe me, we'll all be watching closely to make sure no one else gets hurt....

On that line, one of our players was accidentally kneed in the face during a match a couple weeks ago and ended up with a concussion. Carter has not even been able to be back at school for more than 2 hours since, due to the severe headache that just doesn't seem to be going away. The ER did check for brain bleeding and skull fracture and he had neither, just a severe concussion, so I'm sure his family would appreciate prayers going up on his behalf, that whatever damage was done would resolve & so he could finish out this school year and not be making up work half the summer.

Well, I'm so far behind I'll never catch up, but really should be trying to get some housework done. DS2 came home from college while I was staying with Mom and nothing got put away-it's all in our dining room (which we don't use, but is in the center of the house, so all who might come here have to pass through the room), so must figure out a plan to organize and have the stuff accessible for when he goes back. Can't store much in the basement due to moisture issues and, since we live in a very old house (100 years or so), there's just not much for closet space at all. We don't even have a coat closet by any of the exterior doors, so all the coats hang on hooks on the wall-aaaaaaack!

So, anyway, can you tell I'm procrastinating? Hmmmm......I guess I'd better get to it......Hope you all have a nice day;):hug:

wilma12
05-17-2012, 12:13 PM
Ronnie: Wow! You have a lot on your plate right now. I'll be praying for you.
It's tough to make time for yourself when everyone else needs you so much but I hope you do.

Auntnelly: I remember going through financial difficulties too. Wondering what I was going to make for supper. It isn't easy in this day and age to feed a large family. I've really noticed prices going up in the grocery stores. I think you have received some great advice here that I will also listen too even though it's just DH and me now and occasionally our kids.

Rosebud: You always have such interesting comments. Keep up the great work!

I'm back at work after having 2 weeks off one of which was spending time cuddling my new grandson in Ontario. It was hard to leave him there but the anticipation of seeing the one close to where we live helped a bit. It is so much fun being a gramma. I get to see the one here on a weekly basis and it's so neat to see them change.

I did pretty well with my eating as I did most of the cooking at my DS's place but am glad to be back at work and on a decent schedule again. I still struggle with evening eating too much but it is better than it used to be. I am trying to get a baby quilt finished so I keep my hands on that instead of snacks.

It's a long weekend here in Canada this weekend and I plan on getting some work done in the yard if the weather cooperates. It's supposed to be nice out so here's hoping.

auntnelly
05-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Ronnie I have a chance to make a long answer, my computer is acting weird so am sing and old one that is old old and doesn't work well, but did want to say that my son had a concussion long ago and was diagnosed with post-concussion migraines so that might be something to suggest they look into. my son used migraine meds with success for headaches after his injury. if the pain is on different locations on the head at different times that might be a sign it could be a migraine. I certainly hope they figure it out soon.

this is about all I can take typing on this old computer....augh..

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-17-2012, 05:06 PM
:wave: HI EVERYONE ~ we had a busy day here today; we spent a good part of it putting up that last big aluminum blind -- boy, we sure had trouble with this one: the measurement was way off the first time, then only by 1/8 of an inch the second time; arrgh -- you know, just enuff so it wouldn't fit. :mad: They say "three times a charm" and it took us three times to get it right on. Talk about a test of your patience. :dizzy:

Then we noticed that we had to move the lace curtains on one end becuz the blind was sticking out by 6 inches; but thankfully, that went pretty easy. By the time we sorted everything and put everything back in the room, it was after 3 pm and my back & neck were throbbing. So you know I'll have to rest well for the next few days.

WILMA ~ thanks, glad you had a nice visit with family in Ontario.

NELLY ~ there's another test of patience; having to go back and use a very old PC. Hope yours gets fixed up soon.

RONNIE ~ sent up ^prayers^ for CARTER, his concussion and those headaches. Hope you get that diningroom sorted out; tackle it a bit at a time. Hey, I'd get those boys in there to help too, esp since it's his stuff ... ;)
Heck, give poor mom a break, eh? Remember, "Many hands make for light work!" My Mom liked to say that one to get our help, but she was right!

Glad to hear your Mother (June) is doing so much better with her hip recovery; but sorry your sister has skipped out on you again. You know, GOD will bless you for all your help someday. :hug:

We've had some :rain: here, but the flowers, trees, and bushes are lovin' it -- they are really starting to bloom nicely now. It is slowly warming up today (still a little cool), but the :sunny: is shining bright. Eating is going well; starting to manage the evenings by retiring earlier to read, etc. It has been helping quite a bit.

Yes, we do have a long weekend coming up. My DAD & SM are supposed to be coming up sometime soon; around this weekend too. Will be nice to see them; and we hope they have a great time & good health while they are here. Have a FANTABULOUS FRIDAY everyone ... :flow1:

ronni62
05-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Well, some good news on a couple fronts! Carter was able to go to school yesterday and also attend the soccer match last night-his mom said he'd gone 24 hours without the headache! Of course, he can't play yet and probably not until fall, if he's allowed to play football by then, but the prayers are working and he was doing a lot better:)

Next, Mom learned how to get those TED stockings on by herself, using the sock-puller device the occupational therapist gave her:carrot: I still stopped by 2 times today, once after a doctor appt this morning and once after dropping DS3 at soccer practice-got some of her laundry done today. We'll be stopping by later as well before we go to a graduation party this evening-just making sure she's getting along ok.

Doc's not sure what's causing my shoulder and arm pain, so having x-rays Monday. He said it may be coming from my neck or shoulder or both, so will probably end up having an MRI also to figure out the issue......maybe it's just stress:crazy:

I did manage to get some tomato, cucumber, squash, and orange bell pepper plants for the garden, as well as some flower plants to put around in the flower beds (we're still trying to keep the place sellable in case the market lifts and we find something that will work better for us). I got one of the flowers planted in a pot, but then had to leave for soccer practice, plus got tired, so I'll do more tomorrow. Now, I need to get ready for the grad party-going to be a pasta bar with fix-your-own sundaes too! These people around here really go out on the graduation parties--waaaayyy different than where I came from:hat::celebrate::woo::celebrate:

Have a great evening!

lilywinsit
05-19-2012, 04:29 AM
Sorry that it has taken me so long to get back here, and I want to catch up on reading the recent post, so I can get to know you all. Will do that this weekend.

Boy does time go fast when your working hard. We have been doing some flower gardening and DH has replaced our front stairs as they were getting dangerous. Also getting ready for reno's in the kitchen the last 2 weeks. Choosing some new counter tops to replace the 30 year old "butcher block" look, that came with the house when we bought it 4 years ago. We had bought a new gas range top last year when it was on sale, to replace the electric one that doesn't work right. DH isn't to quick to get things done inside the house, but now is the time!

Monday morning we got the call that the countertops will be installed next tuesday May 22nd and new sink and taps installed, the gas range top placed in, ready for gas fitter on thursday morning. Anyway when we went to make breakie on tuesday we were amazed that there was no power to the stove...fuses had blown and burned out the box... so grateful to God for keeping any fire away! So we have been cooking on the BBQ out on the patio. A lot longer and differently than we had planned.

Feeling very positive about my continued weight loss, I'm down 40 pounds since the beginning of the year. The most wonderful thing that I am thankful to God for is that I am off Insulin for 6 weeks now and my blood sugars are staying in the normal range.

Blessings to All!
http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/heartbar/slider-but6/lb/306/199/266/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

Highest weight ever: 337.5 10 years ago

bargoo
05-19-2012, 09:51 AM
lily, welcome back and congratulations on a great weight loss. Wonderful news about being off insulin.
Renovating can be stressful while it is going on but it sounds like you will have a great new kitchen when it is done.

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-19-2012, 12:10 PM
WOW, LILY ~ that is a great loss -- 40 lbs in only 4.5 months (about 8.8 lbs per month; or 2.2/week) ;); and to be off your insulin is fabulous. I was on Metformin for 3 years; have been off that for some time now too. I bet that feels so great to be off the needles now. It just goes to show that if given half the chance to make healthier choices, we will be rewarded immensely. That is why my old Doctor and I believed in "Preventative Medicine" so much. Since Diabetes runs in our family, I wanted to "nip it in the bud", so2speak; and we succeeded at that too. :D

Best wishes for your house/kitchen renovations next week; sounds like the timing was right on. It is time to get that new stove in for sure. Something similar happened to us just before we moved into our new house. We had been debating should we wait to buy a new stove when we moved, or get it then. Well, we had our answer, when our old stove caught on fire in the oven (the element, I mean). So we bought our new one then and got a terrific price as well. That was answered prayer -- and it was quite clear! :)

We just had a mini thunderstorm here; it didn't last long though. Just long enough to give the greenery a boost. DH and I sat/stood it out on our new back deck; it's nice to be able to be out there and not get wet. However, I just heard another faint rumble in the distance; we may be in for some more :rain: very shortly. OH, the :sunny: just peaked out again -- can't make up it's mind, but hey, we'll take the :sunny: any time. ;)

I woke up earlier today -- at 6 AM and got up at 7; now that the :sunny: comes up earlier, I am waking up earlier; and hence, going to bed earlier at night too. That has been helping with my evening snacking issues, so a real benefit there; but I may have to rest my legs a bit more later in the day. In my teens, I was a night owl chick; then I changed to an early bird when I had to work very early in the AM. Then that switched later on, esp in the winter time; but lately, I am back to being a morning person again, and I think that will be helpful for doing stuff outdoors this summer. It's cooler in the morning. ;)

DH still can't find my seed baskets; I have a feeling they are hiding in a tote somewhere (out of sight, out of mind). So I may have to buy new seed this year -- oh well. I have to get some soil or compost to top up the gardens anyways; and I thought I will likely have room to grow some green beans in the front beds as well; hope so.

RONNI ~ hope all the parties go well for the young folks; sent up some ^prayers ^ that all the kids stay safe; and for your physical issues with your shoulder/arm pain too. When the time is right, the house will sell ... :hug:

Have a wonderful weekend everyone ... :flow2:

lilywinsit
05-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Rosebud: it is reassuring to know that we are doing things at the right time, it gives confidence to know that even the little things are under His care.

Thanks for the huge weight loss stats, 8.8 lbs in a week would make me a wee bit of nothing :dizzy: a grease spot :o lol. But it works out to be 8.8 lbs in a month OR 2.2 lbs in a week. I am still taking 1 Metformin A.M. & P.M. and believing that it will decrease as the weight goes down!

Ronni: hope that the party goes well, kids enjoy any festivities. Sorry that your arm and shoulder are giving you trouble.

bargoo: you are right, it will be wonderful to get the kitchen updated! Doing a little at a time as we are now retired and the cash flow is much less on pension.

Blessing to All

ronni62
05-21-2012, 05:45 PM
oh, what a weekend! Party after party and waaaaayyyy too much cake and sweets! But, it's nice that so many of the boys' friends include our family in their graduation celebrations:) Will have a couple more next weekend too!

First soccer play-off game tonight. Our team is the 'host' team, but, since our athletic dept head is an idiot and didn't want to have to host the games, the boys have to play on the opponent's field. DS3 may or may not be able to play-the knee is still giving him issues when he runs for too long, so we'll see how it goes. Fortunately, our new coach is more concerned with the boys' health than 'get the win no matter what'.

X-rays done on shoulder and neck this morning and now they're sending me for mri of the neck later this week. Looks to me (but I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination) like there's a bone spur on one of the cervical vertebra, but mri will show more, I'm sure.

Well, must get DS3 to the bus for game, so hope you all have a nice evening!

ronni62
05-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Well, good morning to all! Very tired this morning due to the late away soccer match last night. Boys lost, so season is over now. Hated to see them end the season that way, but I'm ready for a break. School's done, soccer's done, DS2 is back to work and will be starting a couple classes at the local community college to get ahead a bit on next year, DS3 will be going to New Orleans on a mission/youth conference trip beginning of July, and who knows what else will come up for the summer? Must finish getting the garden in and fenced-can't put the little cuke or squash plants out without the fencing as those nasty little bunnies just eat them off as quickly as we plant. The squirrels have already been uprooting my flower pots, so added dog hair to the soil the other day and so far, the squirrels are staying clear.....

And, now, to get back on plan with the eating, as well....no more McD's on the run and no more ice cream or coke!

Hope everyone has a great day! God bless!

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-22-2012, 03:43 PM
:wave: HI RONNI ~ glad all the parties went off without a hitch for the kids; and everyone is safe and well, and had a great time. Sorry, the soccer season ended so early for them but that youth conference/rally sounds like fun for DS3. Hey, on the bright side -- that will give his leg/knee more time to heal for next fall. :)

Our poor neighbour has to go to the funeral of his 18 y/o nephew -- on the weekend, he was riding his motorcycle home and tried to miss a deer that ran out in front of him. Sadly, he went into the ditch and passed away. The man is so devastated; he can hardly speak. He has to drive some distance to the funeral during the night (must be down south), so we sent up ^prayers^ for him, and the young man's family & friends too. He showed us this handsome young man's graduation picture. What a tragedy for this family. May GOD comfort them with His Love and Peace at this time ...

DH and I spent the morning mixing soil & compost and filling the front beds to prepare them for some green beans and onion sets. Plus, I spread some grass seed around, as our lawn is so sparce; I pray that the seed takes for us. If it doesn't work, I'll have to get some coated seed, which is almost guaranteed to work (and we've used it in the past). I may have to go hunting for some though; not everyone carries the kind we need/want.

I got a planter of cherry tomatoes too; there are 4 plants in it and they are already putting out little tomatoes. I am vascillating whether to try and transfer two of the plants into another hanging pot; I don't want to damage them, but if I am careful, it might work. They wouldn't be so crowded that way, and I should get more tomatoes too.

Well, DH is out running errands for me right now. I am going to go out and spread some more grass seed this afternoon. We just stopped for some lunch and to give my legs a wee rest. ;) It's nice and :sunny: today and the temps aren't too bad either; it's a good day to do work outdoors.

Have a great week, everyone ... :flow1:

lilywinsit
05-23-2012, 04:19 AM
Ronni: it's a good thing to rest that leg, because young people think they are invincible.

Rosebud: it sounds like you are going to have some yummy veggies to enjoy before to long. You are right, and should transplant the tomatoes carefully, it will increase the amount of tomatoes you get. We had a large veggie garden for many years and enjoyed it tremendously. All we grow is chives and parsley and red chard, as we have a very small garden area, since we moved into an over 55 community 4 years ago..

Last week I planted 3 medium size planters out on our front porch... they were doing quite well, until we had 4 days of hard rain. This morning I checked on them and there was 3 inches of water covering the whole top of the container... oops... I forgot to push out the drainage plugs in the bottom, so hubby had to use his drill to open them up, lots of water poured out and I had to push the roots back down to be firm again!

Hoping for a few nice warm days now.

Blessing to All!

auntnelly
05-23-2012, 11:12 AM
So many sad things. I am not a fan of motorcycles....I do have one son who wants to buy one, but fortunately, he doesn't have the money :)

Sounds like everyone is busy with the tasks of spring. I was glad I didn't have a graduation to do a party for this year. I would never have been able to pull it off. We have kids so every other year we have several graduating, I haven't decided if it is good or bad. Next year we will have a high school grad, and a college grad .... one out of state, so time to start saving for that.

We have a double issue this year with growing things. We had a very very mild winter, and so now we have BUGS! And lots of them. The butterflies are wonderful, but the ones eating my flowers are making me mad. We have to try and figure out what they are so we can kill them.

the 2nd issue is drought. We have had a bit of rain, but not near what we need. We don't have a well, so paying to water our garden is not cost effective. So, when I saw the 60% chance of rain earlier in the week, I was excited. We didn't get a drop of rain, nothing but clouds. We had drought last year, with some months getting less than 1/4 of an inch of rain. Even though the spring has been much better, there is still alot of lack in the rain amounts this year.

We have alot of fruit on our fruit trees, but if we don't water them, they won't mature. We have been watering some, we may stop after our next water bill comes in the mail :roll:

My DD and I are trying to get a more healthy eating plan. It isn't going well. This is the 2nd week, and my weight hasn't moved...the discouragement is large, if I can loose just a pound or 2 and have it remain there and not just be a fluctuation, it would help immensely. I know I need to loose for my health, and I know I need to eat better for my health, but eating better and not seeing results is more than just a little discouraging.

Blondee51
05-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Hello all...
I found my way back..whew! Last time I was here was in 2009. Where was I?
I have a new computer...so can get online and stay there. My old one...well I could do a load of dishes while a page loaded. I egg-zagerate a tad but not much. I finally gave myself the gift of one and am trying to find places I used to go to, for encouragement, friendship and support...and I found y'all again!
I am so glad you're still here and I'm glad to be back...
Bren

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-23-2012, 04:51 PM
:welcome: back, BLONDEE ~ we have lots of returnees at this time; and it's never too late to live healthier. I've had lots of experience with old PC's too; it's nice to graduate to a newer one for sure ... :D

Lily ~ yes, I was going to transplant two of the cherry tomatoes this morning; but DH has somehow lost my spare planter and can't remember what he did with it. I have looked high and low, but when he wants to lose or hide something well, it goes to the basement -- into the vast abyss of never-neverland, never to be seen again ... ;)

NELLY ~ Praize GOD for all the many blessings that you do have in your life; cuz I know there are many ... :hug:

We have had :sunny: weather the last two days and temps have been nice too. A few black flies have come out early this year; we don't usually see them until June, but becuz it has been unusually warm, they have come out early -- oh, drats!!!

I woke up at 6 AM with the :sunny:, and got a good head start on my daily chores; got the floors swept and whizzed, plus two loads of laundry on the line before 8:30 ... wowie! Gee, where am I finding this energy? So I have been going to bed a bit earlier, doing devotions and reading a while before I sleep. Very relaxing too!

I'm listening to some fab Christian music while I am typing and reading here -- it never fails to lift up my spirit. Eating has been going well, although I have noticed that I have been a bit hungrier this week; probably all the busyness causing that. So I am just trying to stay at my max or cap. Today, I haven't felt so hungry, so maybe that is a good sign. Seems to go in cycles for me.

Hope you all have a terrific Thursday tomorrow ... :flow1:

lilywinsit
05-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Here is a chuckle for everyone! Believe it or not... I'm putting weighty items in my pockets to make myself heavier... because...

My friend has been a member of T.O.P.S. for over 15 years and has been at goal for almost 14 years, she talked me into going with her in Jan 2012. I was needing some place to be accountable, meet nice ladies and get a day out on my own (DH just retired and is around 24/7).

Dieting the usual way I lost a few pounds and everyone was happy! Then I started a cleanse and de-tox program, stopped all sugar and white foods and boy did I start to loose weight quickly.

The lady doing the weighing tsk, tsk me and was so concerned that I lost 7; 4; 5; 4; 2 pounds etc etc in the weeks that followed... I got the "not healthy"and "to fast" lectures. But continued my program to get healthy by eating good lean meats and seafoods, lots of green veggies and fruits and drinking gallons of water.

Slowly adding back different foods now, feeling great, lost weight, stopped Insulin for almost 2 months PTL!!!

So to give others a chance to be a "weekly winner" I'm only having a 1-2 pound loss each week, right now, by having extra items in my pockets when I weigh in on thursdays mornings.

Silly? Stupid? Ridiculous? Probably... but it will all balance out in the next few weeks! Hope you got a chuckle out of my weird behaviour!

Blessing to All

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-23-2012, 10:14 PM
:lol: Yes, LILY -- that is a cute story; thanks for sharing it with us, and I did get a chuckle out of it too! :D

bargoo
05-23-2012, 11:43 PM
:lol: Yes, LILY -- that is a cute story; thanks for sharing it with us, and I did get a chuckle out of it too! :D

I don't go to TOPS but when I went to WW years ago I would take off my glasses, socks, any hair ornaments, earrings and other jewelry, in other word I took off everything but what I needed not to go to a meeting naked !

Blondee51
05-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the welcome back!
That was cute...putting things in the pockets...to add weight and give others a chance to be the winner of the weigh in! Unfortunately I don't have to put rocks in pockets! I've been playing with the same 6 pounds for 18 months it seems.
It was nice to be able to change my ticker...as it was at 219...hooya. We won't mention it was in 2009...three years ago and I've been hanging above 200 that long. This morning was 206.6.

Nelly...I will be praying that something clicks for you (and me too)...and we start letting go of some weight...and it stays gone! You all are an inspiration to me and I'll go back when I have play time and catch up some!

Have a blessed and wonderful day...be good to yourselves and rest in Jesus at every opportunity.
Hugs,
Bren

bargoo
05-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Bren, welcome back ! Good start on the weight loss. You'll be in onderland soon.

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-24-2012, 10:48 AM
:lol: BARGOO ~ I hear ya -- don't want to get arrested for streaking now ... ;)

BLONDEE ~ I've gone through long patches of time where I didn't lose any weight either, but I still lost inches & sizes & my vitals got much, much better too, improving my health along the way. I have also been learning a lot throughout this process: what my trigger foods are and how to handle them better; how to manage my emotions and stress better; how to handle holidays and slip-ups better; and how to avoid all-out binges and regain. "Mindless Munching" has been my bain, but I am now getting much better with that too, and that will help me in both the short & long term.

You know, maintaining is just as important as losing weight; maybe even more. These are all very important NSV's that will help us for the rest of our lives. Congrats to you for staying at that weight for so long; that's actually a huge victory! :D

Yes, NELLY ~ we are always praying for you. Eventually, something will click for you and in the meanwhile, just learning to handle stress better, and maintaining are very important victories too. Sometimes people put so much focus on the scale they forget that fitness and being healthy are just as important, if not more. Start small -- with a little more exercise, a little walking, and a few better choices each week/month. :hug:

Have a great day everyone ... :flow1:

lilywinsit
05-25-2012, 03:47 AM
Blondee: welcome back!

I totally understand that hovering between two weights for years and years. For me it was a 20 pound range 290 - 310, I wanted so badly to be below the 300 mark but the weight just kept creeping up each time I got down. So many emotional and physical factors contributed to being stuck there!

Much prayer and soul searching before I started trying this program, it felt so right to do it this way, God has answered my prayer with strength to make the radical changes to my eating, thinking, behaviour and the ability to stick with it. I am so grateful!

After a faster weight loss to begin with I just want to go slow for a while to give my body a chance to "re-balance" at this lower weight. That's how I heard it in my heart when I pray.

Yesterday I packed up the huge size 24 -26 clothes I had been wearing and they are on the way to the second hand store tomorrow. This is the first time that I have had the confidence to get rid of all my large clothes. Knowing and believing that I will not need them again!

Blessings to All!

bargoo
05-25-2012, 09:01 AM
lilywinsit, congratulations on a great loss !

pattygirl63
05-27-2012, 11:55 AM
I am still around, mostly lurking. Just want to say :wave:Hello and have a great Memorial Day week end. Prayers are always coming y'alls way.

Blondee51
05-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Hello all!
I've missed the past few day being here...thanks so much for my welcome back, kudos, encouragement and support! You're a blessing!

At my last Dr's appt, my triglcerides were 1007~ Yikes...I am going to get with the program and knock those numbers down. I've not done well to date but there is hope still. I will borrow tips from some of you!

How do I do those cute emoticon thing-ees? It's been a long time since I did them before and I'm still learning my way around this new computer.

Will you all pray for my Mom...she's not eating or drinking and it's progressed the past week to the point she is now...only wanting to sleep. I can't get over there until Sunday the 3rd, after work, but alerted my brother. I've put her in God's hands, as He is totally aware of this and is in control. I trust Him competely. I pray for peace, protection and provision.

Have a blessed day all....
Bren:carrot: I found it! hooya!:hug:

bargoo
05-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Bren, praying for your mother.

Blondee51
05-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks so much...
I just called her and she was still asleep...she did say she'd try to eat something today. I cried of course, as I love her and know the danger she's in. She's diabetic, has heart disease and while most of my "knowledge" comes from googling...and having diabetes myself..I am aware of those dangers where she isn't...I pray she rallies back, as she's done before.
I told her once that I prayed that God would make her HUNGRY...first for Him, and then for food! I still pray that.

Hugs...
Bren

bargoo
05-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Bren, I have a son who is diabetic . also. I promised him I wouldn't nag him about his diet but he is not taking care of himself. Please pray for him.

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-28-2012, 02:59 PM
HI EVERYONE ~ We had some bad storms here on Friday & Saturday; my internet got knocked off just after 9 PM Friday night, so no internet for me all weekend. I spent the time doing garden stuff and a lot of reading, devotionals, and praying ...

PRAYERS NEEDED ~ Late Friday afternoon, a plain crashed at our local airport becuz of the strong winds. The pilot and one passenger were killed and one other passenger was injured. I am going to put a prayer request for them all. I don't know the name of the deceased pilot as he was a fill-in from a neighbouring city, but the other deceased man was Glen Higgs, so have been praying for his family. Plus the critical man is one of our town counsellors, Bob Hutchison -- also praying for his wife, Kathy, and the rest of the family too. I will update as I find out more myself. Thanks, partners.

UPDATE: the fourth man was not on the plane, becuz he chose to take a later flight; thank GOD, he did. BOB has a broken leg and ribs, but they are just keeping him for observation now (to make sure there are no internal injuries).

BLONDEE ~ sending up ^prayers^ for your mother concerning her health and well-being (physical and spiritual). Sounds like she could use some "home-care" help a few times a week or so (they can make meals and put them in the fridge to be heated in the microwave or eaten as is).

Prayers that your health numbers improve to where they should be. I always thought one was supposed to be high, and cholesterol should be down, but I may be mistaken about that. If you want more emoticons, just press the [More] link just below the emoticons on the right side of the reply box. A bigger list will come up and you just click on the ones you want to use.

BARGOO ~ ^prayers^ going up for your son regarding his diabetes and health issues too.

LILY ~ congrats on the NSV; and the success you are having with your plan ... :cheer2:

We have really cold :brr: temps here again (52 F and lower at night); we had :rain: this AM but it has stopped. It is supposed to drop below freezing during the night for the rest of the week. DH joked that we'll have to cuddle a bit more to keep warm ... :lol:

Blondee51
05-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Bargoo, I will!
I've done the same with Mom...said I wouldn't nag...but also told her I nag because I love her and want her with me as long as I can have her. It's so hard to see our loved ones in trouble and know we can't "fix it"..

Thanks Rosebud...I'll add that need to my prayer list as well. There are so many in need of a touch from God...comfort in loss, healing, strength, wisdom, salvation, provision...Oh I wish I had your 52! We were at 97 today and in need of some rain too.
I talked to Mom a bit ago and she was awake, alert and had a MW meal earlier. I was so thankful ...and I know God hears and answers our prayers. She sounded better...more like herself. I need to apply what I "know" to my own program of recovery, too. I'll be 60 in December and I want the rest of my days to be healthier ones...

PS: I will talk to her again...about the home care situation. To this point she's refused, as she doesn't want anyone in her place, in her things etc. She falls too often and the other day scooted from the bedroom to the front door and yelled for help.I will be praying for the right way to approach it...and her willingness to hear.

Hugs to you and yours...
Be blessed!

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-30-2012, 01:17 PM
:wave: Well, the temps went up to 62 F yesterday with a sprinkle of :rain: here and there. Today, it is damp, chilly, and much cooler -- only in the 40's F, but they say we may get up into the 50's by this afternoon. It is supposed to be seasonably warmer as the week goes by; that would be nice for sure.

DH and I hauled out our summer linens and such. I change them from winter to summer every year. We put the heavier comforters & blankets away, and bring out the light & bright bedspread set and blankets for the summer. It's a nice change too.

We got our front garden beds all prepared for this year; added a new sand/black earth mix and some compost to give them a good boost. I plan to plant some onions sets, some leaf lettuce, and radishes for salads this week; then later on, plant some green beans when the threat of frost is past.

We also set up our half rain barrels on the south side of the house, in between our peony flower plants; and filled the bottoms with sand & gravel. Then we'll put some topsoil in them later on. Not sure what to plant in them yet, maybe some petunias and beans, or something like that -- we'll see ...

So we now know that we have 3 bunches of light pink peony flowers on the south side; and two hot pink peony bushes in the front. I finally found out what the flowering bush in the front is, with the pretty light pink flowers and red berries that the birds love -- it is called a HONEYSUCKLE BUSH. I did some research on the net and found it on there.

Plus, we also have a Hydrangea bush in the front yard as well. It has 3 small lime green flower balls on it right now, but my research says they should get bigger and turn white later on, like the Snowball ones do. I transplanted my Sandcherry bush when we moved here last year; and put it right beside the Hydrangea bush becuz I didn't know where else to put it. Thank goodness, it made it through the winter with no damage; and it has the loveliest little pink flowers on it. It is supposed to get some dark blue berries on it later on as well (kind of like elderberries).

I also bought some cherry tomato plants for salads; plus some raspberry and gooseberry bushes, which will start our mini-fruit orchard in the back yard. Later on, I would like to add in another kind of berry to round them out (like blueberries, honeyberries, elderberries, or maybe even blackberries). We already have a nice, big rhubarb patch.

My eating has been good this week; I had struggled a bit last week, but thankfully not too badly. Every now and then I go through a week, where I just feel hungrier than usual. So I have been having porridge for breakfast EOD, and just making heartier meals all round, but still staying OP and within my calorie limits too.

Have a great day everyone ... :flow1:

wilma12
05-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Rosebud: We had a honeysuckle bush in our yard when I was a child. I loved that bush. It can get woody if you don't prune out the dead wood but it's really lovely. We would eat the centre of the flowers as children - really sweet.

I also have hydrangea bushes in my yard now and they are so lovely. The blooms start out small and green and are really large and white in the summer. Then when the frost hits they turn a lovely brown. I have dried the blooms - beautiful!

I also planted a gooseberry bush in my yard this spring as well as a rhubarb plant. I can't wait to harvest them and do some baking!

That's so tragic about that plane crash. I'll be praying for the families.

Blondee: It's really hard when those you love don't take care of themselves. Hopefully she looks at your advice not as nagging but that you love her and want her around for a long time. Prayers for you.

Bargoo: Prayers for you and your son also.

I've done not too badly with my eating this week. I have done something to my foot so I can't walk long distances right now so that's frustrating now that the sun is finally shining around here. I hope to get it looked at so that I can get moving again.

Blondee51
05-31-2012, 08:54 AM
OH! The talk of gardening, flowers...makes me long for dirt to play in. Now days tho, I'd have to call for help to get up if I got down in it. I've lived here in the apartment complex since coming home in 1996, so dirt to play in isn't available. The hydrangeas are my favorites...tho at my place in Alabama I had a snowball bush and planted a hydrangea that my friend gave me when it was a dormant twig...It was bushed out beautifully, with leaves when I left there.

Answer to prayer: Mom was willing for home care to come! She fell again three times yesterday morning and had to call for help again. The nurse brought her a spiffy new walker when she came yesterday, since Mom fell on hers and bent it.
She's still not eating or drinking...a half sandwich yesterday...sleeping almost all day and getting weaker. She did say last night that she'd ask her neghbor to cook the pizza she has in the freezer and split it with her today. She also agreed to have a glass of milk before bed.
The nurse will be back tomorrow and is bringing a therapist with her...:carrot:

I told her I'd do a kitchen inventory when I come over, and put a simple meal plan together for her...and take those Boost shakes I got for her. She needs the high calorie ones:moo:

I had to rehang shower curtains this morning. The rod and all fell yesterday...after my shower :D and I prayed for strength and stability...to get on the stool to rehang 'em.:woohoo: I confessed my "fear"...as my feet are still shaky...but I remember that "the Lord shall be my confidence and keep my foot from slipping:...Proverbs 3:26...

I'm gonna run and get ready for work. I'm praying the computer guy can come today and get my printer going as I am lost without it. We had a serious glitch and I don't think it was all storm related! I got all but the printer going and it says printer spooler problems etc. Boo!

Be blessed today all...best where most needed...
Bren:coffee2:

bargoo
05-31-2012, 11:30 AM
OH! The talk of gardening, flowers...makes me long for dirt to play in. Now days tho, I'd have to call for help to get up if I got down in it. I've lived here in the apartment complex since coming home in 1996, so dirt to play in isn't available. The hydrangeas are my favorites...tho at my place in Alabams I had a snowball bush and planted a hydrangea that my friend gave me when it was a dormant twig...It was bushed out beautifully, with leaves when I left there.

Answer to prayer: Mom was willing for home care to come! She fell again three times yesterday morning and had to call for help again. The nurse brought her a spiffy new walker when she came yesterday, since Mom fell on hers and bent it.
She's still not eating or drinking...a half sandwich yesterday...sleeping almost all day and getting weaker. She did say last night that she'd ask her neghbor to cook the pizza she has in the freezer and split it with her today. She also agreed to have a glass of milk before bed.
The nurse will be back tomorrow and is bringing a therapist with her...:carrot:

I told her I'd do a kitchen inventory when I come over, and put a simple meal plan together for her...and take those Boost shakes I got for her. She needs the high calorie ones:moo:

I had to rehang shower curtains this morning. The rod and all fell yesterday...after my shower :D and I prayed for strength and stability...to get on the stool to rehang 'em.:woohoo: I confessed my "fear"...as my feet are still shaky...but I reeber that "the Lord shall be my confidence and keep my foot from slipping:...Proverbs 3:26...

I'm gonna run and get ready for work. I'm praying the computer guy can come today and get my printer going as I am lost without it. We had a serious glitch and I don't think it was all storm related! I got all but the printer going and it says printer spooler problems etc. Boo!

Be blessed today all...best where most needed...
Bren:coffee2:
Thanks for the scripture, I have a problem falliing, too, I have been reciting rhe words to a sing we sometimes sing at church"Guide My Feet."
I recently had a printer problem, since it was out of warranty Dell wanted $29 just to look at it and tell me what was wrong, I was pretty sure it was mechanical and not software related. Walmart had a printer for $29 , the same price that Dell wanted just to look. I didn't get that one as it didn't have a copier, but I did get an HP all in one for not much more than that.
For your Mom's Boost try putting it in a blender with a banana or some berries for some additional vitamins.Does she like cereal ? Cream of Wheat has a new flavor out called Cinnabon, maybe she would like something like that.

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-31-2012, 04:00 PM
BREN ~ Oh, I don't get down and play in the dirt; my injured knees could never take that. All our beds are raised up off the ground. I'll show you a picture of the front ones so you can see. They are about 18" off the ground in raised brick beds. The half barrels are about 2 feet high; that's why I like them so much.

I also say prayers based on scriptures for my feet and walking too ... "He makes my feet like hind's feet; and sets me upon high places." Psalm 18:33

And ... "Thou has enlarged my steps under me, that my feet did not slip." Psalm 18:36.

Plus, "Then thou shall walk in thy way safely, and thy foot shall not stumble. Proverbs 3:23.

I'm glad that your mother has agreed to the homecare & therapy. There are so many ways you can help her get more nutrition in; those HC drinks are a good idea (and so is the one BARGOO suggested to get in some fruit & fiber too).

Here's a picture of the front of our house; the orange lilies in the front beds; and the hot pink peony bushes in the front too. The Hydrangea is the one in the front yard with bricks around the base; and the Honeysuckle is the large one on the right of the porch.

42417 4241542416

Justwant2Bhealthy
05-31-2012, 05:27 PM
I had to go and help DH with something earlier: the new basket I bought him for his bike fell off (too many bumps in the road is my guess), so we wired it back on for double security (I just hope it stays on for him). This AM, I also helped him put up my hanging planter, fix the shed door, and put up our large thermometer on the back porch.

BARGOO ~ I'm glad that you found a new HP printer for such a good price. I don't use a printer that much myself; although I do have one that my sister (NUMPSTER) gave me.

WILMA ~ Yes, that Honeysuckle bush is quite large, so we trimmed some of those dead branches and some other straggly ones that were reaching too far onto the neighbours yard last fall and a few more this spring to tidy it up a bit too. I can't wait to see those snowballs when they get bigger and whiter.

The weather is much nicer today; just about 70 F here with :sunny: up to about 4 pm. It's clouding over a bit right now but still warm out. Hope you all have a fabulous Friday tomorrow ... :flow1:

Blondee51
06-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Hello all...
Oh more great scriptures..I will make a note of them. Thanks! For the tips...and prayers too. All are appreciated. You all are a blessing.
I have Ps. 119:133 on my door..."Direct my steps according to your word and let no iniquity have dominion over me"...I need that one when I am about to eat too!

I love the pics of your beautiful flower beds, Rosebud! I've been known to print pictures online, laminate them and use them for bookmarks, of such lovely things!
Printers: I have one of the $29.00 HP's from Wal-Mart and love it...ink doesn't last long but I keep extra on hand. I use mine a LOT...My LexMark finally bit the dust last year...with a NEW cartridge in it too...:tantrum:

I made a run to Mom's after work last night and am glad I did. I got to clean a bit for her, set up her snack try, put shakes in the fridge and she was up to eating some dinner and watching wrestling and that was good. She said she had two pieces of pizza yesterday, and then her dinner...I read an article at caring.com that I found comforting, and will trust that God has us in His care each day...no matter what my "feelings" might say.

I'm going to finish mail and get ready for work. Have a blessed day all. You will be in my thoughts and prayers...and I'm glad I found my way back here!:grouphug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Here's something that made me chuckle; this is my life these days. Just over fifty (53 y/y) and it fits so well. I was just telling my family that I have been dreaming about putting a recliner in our bathroom ... ;)

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/6dbBfXCMbH4?rel=0

Oh, I just realized that we are now into the month of June; so I am going to start the new June thread and will put this Youtube in there too. See you there ... :)