Weight Loss Support - I had a really bad day yesterday... :(

Amy23
05-01-2012, 08:31 PM
It started with three strong vodkas and two beers and went downhill from there.

I drank the vodkas with full-sugar soda and I also ended up eating two bags of chips (1900 calories!) and pizza.

All in all I think I had like, 3500 calories.

I'm really upset about this. I feel like a failure and a fraud. Everyone in my family is looking at me like I'm this big success story, but really I'm not! Look what I've done!

I got on the scale this morning and I'm up 2 lbs. I know that's probably not all fat but it certainly feels like it.

I wish I knew how to feel better right now. :(

mandalinn82
05-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I wish I knew how to feel better right now.

The best way I know to feel better is to get right back on track.

Look at what went wrong, think about what you can do to fix it going forward, and then let it go. Make a plan for healthy meals for the rest of the work. Pencil in your workouts.

The only way to go from here is up.

WildThings
05-01-2012, 08:38 PM
The best way to feel better is to accept that you had a rough day and move forward. You've lost 30lbs so far, you've done fantastic and your family is correct, you are a success, you've just simply had a bad day. Get back on plan today. One day of off-plan eating is not going to negate your entire success so far. None of us can expect to never have a bad day or a rough day for the rest of our lives, we can weather the rough spots as long as we don't let the rough spots pull us back into our old ways of diet and lifestyle.

shoeluver67
05-01-2012, 09:53 PM
I totally get where you're coming from...i've done it myself. Honestly, we all have pretty much done that at SOME point in our diet adventures, you are SO not alone! Just do the best you can to put it behind you. New day, new attitude, new you. Find what triggers you, and silence it. But above all else, don't beat yourself up and don't GIVE up. This is just a bump in the road, not the end of your journey. *hugs*

MichelleRae
05-01-2012, 10:48 PM
I think that a lot of us have been there. Like others have mentioned the best way to turn this bad situation into a good one is to reaffirm your commitment to good health, and jump back on plan. I didn't have such a great day yesterday either but I jumped back on plan today and after dinner I was actually craving my grapefruit dessert. This was a feat for me because I know there is a half pint of Ben and Jerry's calling my name but I opted for the healthier alternative that my body was actually craving. I guess my point is that don't let a bad day ruin all the progress you have made. You can do this! I have faith in you!

luckymommy
05-01-2012, 10:58 PM
:hug: I know how you feel because I've had plenty of days like yours where I ate an entire loaf of bread and an entire xtra large tub of Nutella. I would binge so much and find myself self loathing. Please keep in mind that just about everyone here has had off days or binge days. If you check on the maintenance board, you'll see that so many of us have struggled with overeating or binge eating/food addiction. I read something that has really helped me.....if you slip while you climb a staircase, do you throw yourself down to the bottom and give up? No, you pick yourself up and keep going to the top. Same is true with weight loss/dieting. Just get back on track. The most you could have actually gained is maybe half a pound because half of those calories you could have consumed on a regular day and the other half were beyond that amount. Drink plenty of water, stick to your plan and learn from the experience. You can do it! :hug: :carrot: :hug:

HeyMa
05-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Do you think the alcohol is what caused the binge? When I drink I make poor choices.

Amy23
05-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Do you think the alcohol is what caused the binge? When I drink I make poor choices.

Without a doubt. When I drink alcohol I can rarely control what I eat. That's why I know I should avoid it; I just don't know what made me think I could handle it last night. I should have known better, but there's nothing I can do now but climb back on the horse and keep going. I threw out all of the alcohol and the rest of the food.

@luckymommy I like your analogy about throwing myself to the bottom of the stairs! There's no way I can do that; I will keep trying and trying until I get things right. Hopefully I can be strong enough to completely abstain from alcohol from now on, thereby avoiding a binge.

Thank you so much, everyone, for your support. *hugs*

freelancemomma
05-01-2012, 11:58 PM
I agree about alcohol fuelling overeating. While I'm not willing to abstain completely, I find that by limiting myself to one or two small glasses of wine, I avoid getting drunk enough to lose my judgment.

F.

SunshineCA
05-02-2012, 12:05 AM
Looks like the alcohol attributed to your actions. There's nothing else you can do now but pick up where you left off with your weight loss journey. :) Wishing you more success on your weight loss journey! :)

hazyl
05-02-2012, 07:07 AM
What doesn't kill you make you stronger. Cheer up and try again! You know you will succeed :)

Elliemar
05-02-2012, 07:21 AM
Loving luckymommy's analogy with the staircase - so true! :)

Don't beat yourself up about it - we all slip up. But as everyone has already said, the trick is to get right back on it and carry on. Most of that 2lb is probably bloat and will fall off again in the next day or two as long as you get back on track.

Amy23
05-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks so much, guys. I've been on plan all day and doing everything I can to reduce the damage. One-hour work-out and veggies/lentils for dinner. Hope the 2 lbs does come off; I worked damn hard to lose those 2 lbs! Fingers-crossed.

mammasita
05-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Agree 100% that drinking leads to terrible food choices. I am definitely guilty of that and can relate to your situation.

shapedself
05-02-2012, 10:39 AM
It's one day. Relapses are normal. Recommit with renewed vigor today. Don't let it become an "all or nothing" excuse so you can keep eating crap. Good luck.

LockItUp
05-02-2012, 11:52 AM
No one is perfect. One day doesn't make weight loss, and one day doesn't break weight loss; it's all of the days combined over a long period that determine success. It's something that's hard for me too, not beating myself up over 1 bad day. They happen! This will be part of life forever! Use it as a learning experience. BIG HUGS!

linJber
05-02-2012, 01:28 PM
What we all tend to forget is that EVERYONE - heavy or thin - has days like this. The trick is to fix it immediately. You have. That means you are in control of the situation. And recognizing the factors that contribute is also part of the success. It sounds simple, but just resist the drinks and the situation gets easier.

I also want all of you who post to know that it hurts my heart to hear anyone say they loathe themselves. Self loathing gets us nowhere. I don't want to get into a psychological discussion. I understand what you mean. But it's like I used to tell my DD when she was small. She was never allowed to say she hated something. It's such a strong word for a child and I didn't want to set a life long pattern. She "really didn't like" a lot of things, but hate was not part of her vocabulary. Maybe we can do the same and loathe the behavior, but not ourselves - no matter the circumstance. Or "really not like" the behavior. I think a positive attitude is part of the success we all strive for.

Sorry for sounding like someone's mom. I think we all feel better when we love ourselves.

Lin

PinkLotus
05-02-2012, 01:51 PM
It happens to most (if not all) of us from time to time. It doesn't make you any less of a success story. Just pick up and move on. There's no point in beating yourself up about it...what's done is done. You're only human!! :)

LeilaJey
05-02-2012, 02:24 PM
I know the feeling, but these things happen and it's not the end of the world. Just keep going and learn from it. I had something similar happen after a few glasses of wine. The bread and cheese re-emerged and an entire tray of dessert was placed in front of me and a spoon in my hand. I didn't eat all of it as that would have been awkward but I was obsessed and kept taking bites. Maybe don't drink for a while or limit yourself to a small amount. Ooor have a healthier snack for when you're drinking. You're doing great already so don't feel bad!

free1
05-02-2012, 03:37 PM
One bad day doesn't make you a failure!!!!! No more than going to church 1 time makes you a nun. Get back on track. The VICTORY is not just knowing how to win but how to get back up......Remember, vodka...bad :)

crazygurl61
05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
I know it feels awful and I've been there! Sounds like you are doing a great job of picking yourself up.

I too, love my wine/vodka (not an everyday drinker or someone who gets drunk all the time) but during my first month of weight loss I gave it up completley. HARD! Now I indulge occasionally. I had 2 skinnygirl margaritas on Sunday and I know I am going to a wedding this weekend so I am going to try to stay away from the booze until then. Good luck!