Weight Loss Support - Ladies in your 40s...a little help please!

shoeluver67
05-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Ok, so a girlfriend of mine here at work (shes 46...i'm 44) went to her doctor for a checkup (my friend is diabetic and at a healthy weight). The doctor told her, and this is what was so upsetting to me, that she really needed to watch her weight gain because when a woman over 40 gains weight (diabetic or not), it is nearly impossible for her to take off the full weight gain amount. She may be able to drop 5-10lbs, but if she has gained 50 (like myself), that weight isn't coming off. I almost cried. PLEASE, somebody tell me that that's not true and there IS hope!!! Talk about a total mental diet derailment! :?:

NEMom
05-01-2012, 03:01 PM
I would like to slap that doctor. I am over 40 and have lost 60lbs, so that is so untrue. My mom is 68 years old and has lost 75 lbs in less time than it took me to lose my 60. Age does not matter. Do not let this doctors lies discourage you.

freelancemomma
05-01-2012, 03:03 PM
It's completely untrue. I'm 55 years old and lost 55 pounds last year without any problem (no plateaus), and I know many other women who've lost weight in midlife. The process of losing weight DOES NOT CHANGE with age. The only thing that changes is that you may need to slightly lower your caloric intake for loss and maintenance compared to the corresponding levels in your 20s.

Perhaps the doctor was just trying to scare your friend.

F.

Edited to add: I actually didn't find weight loss in my fifties to be any harder than in my teens, twenties or thirties -- just a little bit slower (but not frustratingly slow).

JohnP
05-01-2012, 03:20 PM
While it may get a little more difficult every year we age due to slowing metabolisms the fact is that energy is never going to be created out of thin air.

Fat loss or gain is always going to be an equation of energy, and energy is measured in calories.

I find it difficult a doctor could be so stupid. I'd imagine his comments were not relayed accurately.

mariposssa
05-01-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm in my early 40s...but I think the doctor misspoke. Impossible? NO!! More difficult...absolutely. My mom and two of her sisters have lost substantial amounts of weight in their 50s and 60s. My mom was once a size 18 and has been maintaining pretty consistently at a size 10 (with some 12s in for winter or after the holidays.) Five years without regaining...so it is possible.

Unicorn67
05-01-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm 45 and I've lost 62 pounds. I think it is absolutely harder than at 20 but certainly not impossible.

For me, my kids are mostly grown (20 & 17) and this is now the time I have to really focus on me!

Vex
05-01-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm 42. The doctor is wrong. The end.

ennay
05-01-2012, 05:01 PM
the amount that doctors DONT know about weight loss could fill a library.

losermom
05-01-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm 49. I've lost 70 lbs and kept it off for over 2 years. That doctor is a dumb cluck. Don't listen to anyone that tells you that you cannot do something.

newbride2012
05-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Sometimes I think Hmmmmm?...Maybe I could have been a doctor. LOL

Only Me
05-01-2012, 06:21 PM
My mother was in her 50s when she lost about 30lbs via weight watchers. She has mostly (+/- 5lbs) kept it off for almost 10 years.

ennay
05-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Call me a cynic but it sounds more to me like "Hey now, dont be thinking you can fix any of your health issues with diet and exercise. That doesn't make anyone any money. Letseee well you need cholesterol medication now so we can get the side effects chain going. With any luck that will really really up our chances of putting you on blood pressure and diabetes meds. And once you are on all that you'll probably need a thyroid pill...or it will be easy to convince you the side effects are from sluggish thyroid. Oooooh and if we are really lucky you'll get some of the really fun side effects of those and we can put you on reflux and overactive bladder meds. And by then probably an antidepressant as well. No no little lady, you wouldnt want to try anything as silly as diet and exercise."

lin43
05-01-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm 44, and I lost 40-45 lbs. from June 2011 - Nov. 2011, and it felt more effortless than at any other time in my life. I lost rather fast without very much sacrifice at all. And the kicker is that I can eat a lot more than I ever thought i would be able to.

So, I think it was irresponsible for that doctor to say that to your friend, but even more important, it was inaccurate.

shoeluver67
05-01-2012, 08:20 PM
*whew* Thank you all so much! Even though deep down, i KNEW better...it was such a disheartening thing to hear. Perhaps you're right...maybe it's all about trying to keep her from gaining any weight...but that's not a very good way to go about it. THANKS!!! i feel MUCH better!

caryesings
05-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Add me to your list of "impossible" losers. I toted around extra 100 lbs for 20 years. At age 49.5 I decided I wanted to get it off as now it wasn't theoretical that it would affect my health. Funny, what I couldn't do at earlier age now was possible. I learned what worked for me and what didn't and was able to create my own plan based on experience.

Lori Bell
05-02-2012, 05:51 AM
I'm thinking the good doctor was probably misquoted. What Doctor in their right mind would say that it is impossible for anyone to lose weight? I will say this however, that it IS nearly impossible for a person (at any age) to lose weight and KEEP IT OFF, for a substancial amount of time. The formerly obese, long time maintainer is a rare breed...but the good news is, it seems that there are more of us in our later years (40+) than the younger folks.

With that being said, I'm a 190 pound loser and have been maintaing my loss for almost 3 years now. I started this process at the age of 42 and I am now 46.

Elliemar
05-02-2012, 05:55 AM
Well, I'm 45 and having lost 67lb over the last year would say he's talking nonsense, if that's what he actually said! I suspect your friend may have missunderstood him and therefore missquoted him. I go to Slimming World and there are quite a few over 40's who have all lost big numbers - it may become a little tougher, but it's all about less in than out, no matter what age you are. :)

linJber
05-02-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm 61 now. I lost 90 pounds last year in 38 weeks. One week I lost nothing. Every other week I lost weight. No plateaus. No real difficulty. But I don't have diabetes, either.

I believe the doctor's comment may have been out of context or misquoted. Metabolism in women only goes down by about 5 calories per day for each year after 30. That means I have to cut about 150 more calories than a 30 year old with identical stats and activities. That isn't enough to worry about.

I really believe it was easier for me to lose at this age because my attitude is different from that of a much younger person. You'll do well if you just stay in the mental game as well as the physical one.

Lin

Edited to add that I've maintained within a pound or 2 up and down for 7 months now. You can do this.

berryblondeboys
05-02-2012, 02:00 PM
What a cluck - like most doctors - they don't know squat. Well, they do, but they are generalists and don't know details about anything.

As you can see by the responses - it's not true.

I've lost 85 pounds and I'm still losing.

Now, what I will say is that it's probably not likely to get as LOW at 40 plus as you could get at 20 years old easily. We can do it, but it would take more work, more exercise and lower caloric take than someone much younger. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you have to remain fat.

guacamole
05-03-2012, 12:42 PM
It's great to see so many over 40s responding with their success stories! You can add me to the list of over 40 women who only started to lose weight in her 40s. I tried in my late 30s to lose weight, and it just didn't stick. I think that I have more determination now than I did then. Perhaps it is because I experienced the negative side effects of obesity or perhaps it is because I am scared of just what your doctor told you about (in my case, I keep reading about menopause being the nail in the coffin for weight loss) and I am trying to outrun the clock by losing weight before getting too much older or menopause.

Whatever the case, don't believe you can't lose weight as you age, but also use it as motivation to prove your doctor wrong!

fyreflie24
05-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Yea, that was a scare tactic. I'm 43 and I've lost 72 lbs as of this morning. Bunk.

Lunula
05-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Total BS. Perhaps it is just that we are more unlikely to lose it, based on age, habits, etc. - but to say something like that is just silly.

Now, I'm only 41 - but I weigh less now than I have in almost 2 decades. I've lost 75-80 lbs and I started a few months before my 40th birthday. Only delay has been my brain - not my body - hah!

My dearest girlfriend is my senior by 10 years (she'll be 51 in October) and 3 years ago she dropped 45 lbs and has maintained it completely. BTW, shockingly, she did it with diet only - no exercise (she hates working out). I don't know how she did it, but she is 5'7 and weighs 130 lbs (she had dipped down to 124, but thought she looked too thin and gained a few pounds).

linJber
05-03-2012, 03:09 PM
For what it's worth, I don't even think menopause has much impact. At least not in my case. I will admit that it probably impacted my end shape, though. My boobs are a bit smaller and my waist a bit bigger than when I weighed this much in my 30s. No hormone therapy for me. Menopause was an easy transition. Very few hot flashes, no night sweats, none of the horror stories. I'm not sure how that might make a difference.

Lin

freelancemomma
05-03-2012, 04:05 PM
For what it's worth, I don't even think menopause has much impact. At least not in my case.
Lin

Same here. Though I'm still getting periods at 55, they're much less regular so I'm obviously in perimenopause. I had no trouble losing weight last year and I now weigh less than at any point after my teens! I'm also lucky in that my shape hasn't changed. This is pure vanity speaking, but I admit I get a charge out of wearing body-hugging clothes at age 55.

F>