General chatter - What are you reading in MAY 2012?

View Full Version : What are you reading in MAY 2012?

Smiling_Sara
05-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Happy May!! Please share with us what you are reading.

I am about 50 pages into The Glass Castle. It's good. Dark, but good.

gardenerjoy
05-01-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm reading More than a Mistress by Mary Balogh. It's one of her older ones and I may have read it before, but I don't seem to quite remember it, so that makes it new to me!

The Glass Castle is on my list to read, but I've been worried that it's too dark, so I keep putting it off.

MiZTaCCen
05-01-2012, 12:41 PM
The Bandido Massacure - Peter Edwards

Based on a true story about a group of bikers that were murdered, stuffed in trunks of cars and left for dead in Ontario Canada. I remember reading about it in the paper when I was in college. Saw the book when I went to chapters and picked it up! Very interesting!

mammasita
05-01-2012, 12:48 PM
I hate to admit that I am waaay to lazy/lacking the attention span to read. Its just not relaxing to me and I have so much other stuff to try to get done, but I have taken to audio books and am listening to Hunger Games.

Ruthxxx
05-01-2012, 12:49 PM
How strange. I just read the review of that in yesterday's paper! http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/article/758228--the-bandidos-and-their-mass-murder-over-nothing

Right now my Book Club is reading The Paris Wife. The guys think it's chick-lit but the women like it. It's a fictionalized account of the early days of Hemingway from the point of view of his first wife. It's sort of "Meh"!

LeilaJey
05-01-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm reading 1984 now, it's been on my list for a long long time.

CanadianCutie
05-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Still reading Damage, a thriller/suspense/crime novel, after that I'm not sure what I'll read.

Quiet Ballerina
05-01-2012, 01:14 PM
The Hunger Games trilogy is sitting on my shelf calling to me...so hopefully I'll get to read that soon.

aseret123
05-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Hi everyone! I'm reading 50 Shades of Grey at the moment, and wow, it's definitely not what I was expecting!

Cemommster
05-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Oh, I just started 50 Shades of Grey....maybe turning me 50 shades of red.

Smiling_Sara
05-01-2012, 08:38 PM
The Hunger Games trilogy is sitting on my shelf calling to me...so hopefully I'll get to read that soon.

I heard very briefly about this book just this week. I am intrigued though. Let us know what you thought of it

EDIT: Meant 50 shades of grey! *face palm*

Sinoia
05-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Still reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

MiZTaCCen
05-02-2012, 01:57 PM

Still reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I have both of these books at home because my friend let me borrow them...sitting there waiting for me to read them. I'm still trying to find time to continue with my Bandido Massacre. I think tonight I will take some time and just read for an hour.

MonteCristo
05-02-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm reading several books...

Synthetic Men of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs
Color of Magic - Terry Prachett
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling (audiobook)

I actually do read other genres, I'm just in a geeky mood right now.

ANOther
05-02-2012, 02:29 PM
The Titanic Secret by Jack Steel

Natasha22
05-02-2012, 06:47 PM
I've just started reading "Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children" and also have only a few pages left of "Delirium" by Lauren Oliver. They're both light readings, a bit childish perhaps, but I'm sometimes in the mood for that.

aseret123
05-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Finished Fifty Shades of Grey last night, I found it a very interesting read. The characters were complex, I enjoyed the storyline and it made me blush a fair few times :o! It was a real page-turner. I enjoyed it so much that I bought the next in the trilogy today and have started reading: Fifty Shades Darker.

Sinoia
05-03-2012, 12:45 AM
The Hunger Games trilogy is sitting on my shelf calling to me...so hopefully I'll get to read that soon

I read them a little while back and I had not expected to be so enthralled but I was glued to my Kindle from start to end and my partner could not extract a conversation from me until I turned the last page. A darn good yarn!

aseret123
05-04-2012, 05:31 AM
I was the same with Hunger Games, so addictive! Though I get like that with a lot of books, if I get into the story I will read a book in a day lol. It's day 3, and I'm on the 3rd book in the Fifty Shades trilogy. Definitely recommend it to the more open-minded reader - it may cause embarrassment for some!

GlitterDreams
05-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Pandemonium By Lauren Oliver (sequel to Delirium)

drake3272004
05-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Still trying to finish up Wuthering Heights!

My DD just got Hunger Games, so that will be my next book.

Smiling_Sara
05-07-2012, 11:07 AM
With ALL the talk about 50 shades of grey I may have to purchase it to see what all the fuss is about. If it's making people blush, it sounds like my kind of book. :)

Nadya
05-07-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm working on Academ's Fury in the Codex Alera series but I also have to read Newjack: Guarding Sing Sing for class. I'm almost done with Academ's Fury but I really need to begin the reading for my homework. =/

After I finish, I'll move onto Cursor's Fury.

electrongirl
05-07-2012, 01:12 PM
I am currently reading "Voyager" the third book in the Outlander series.

I recently read the first 2 Fifty Shades books and they are awful! Lol I had to stop and go back to better quality stuff.

I read the Hunger Games trilogy and loved them even though the last one annoyed me a little.

guacamole
05-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Did any of you see the 50 Shades of Grey skit on Saturday Night Live. It was so funny. I guess it's all the rage now among moms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNstaPkB9mE&feature=related

alinnell
05-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Friday, staying home with Chico, I started and got half-way through Robert Crais' Taken (http://www.amazon.com/Taken-ebook/dp/B005ERIJWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336428274&sr=8-1). The best part is it takes place mostly in the valley where I live!

I still haven't decided to get books 2 or 3 in the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy.

imnotperfect24
05-07-2012, 06:27 PM
I read all kinds of fanfiction for Harry Potter and Twilight. (People actually have really amazing stories out there).
The Vampire Diaries ( it's NOTHING like the show)
Do school books count? lol Because I read a couple of those when Finals were going on. ;)

What I want to read:
The Hunger Games
The Five people you meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (I've read Tuesdays with Morrie.. it's a sad book.)

CanadianCutie
05-16-2012, 06:52 AM
Still reading Damage, but I also started the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy.

piratetysh
05-16-2012, 07:00 AM
I'm currently reading Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler. She is hilarious. (:

LeilaJey
05-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Ok finished 1984 and now I'm going to move onto Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Y'know gotta get these dystopian novels out of the way.

gardenerjoy
05-16-2012, 09:26 AM
I just finished Color Me English by Caryl Phillips -- that's a guy's name, BTW. It's for my book club and is a series of essays. Not my favorite genre but beautifully written.

Now I'm reading Julia's Child by Sarah Pinneo, a novel about a mom who starts a business making organic foods for toddlers. A fun book for foodies.

KG123
05-16-2012, 05:03 PM

Read all three in the last couple weeks after seeing movie.
They're pretty good. I liked the final ending.

Rereading the Fire & Ice (Game of Thrones) series AGAIN!

skinnynursev
05-16-2012, 10:39 PM
im reading the black dagger brother hood series by j.r ward. The first 4 were really good, then they kinda lost my interest.
but i was also reading fifty shades of gray and love it.
then i read one called pleasure unbound (from the demonica series.) i like stuff like that.

sheramama
05-16-2012, 10:46 PM
The third 50 shades of Grey...fun books ;)

drake3272004
05-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Finished Wuthering Heights, the ending was not really what I expected but I liked it.

Started Hunger Games, already watched the movie. Will probably take me the rest of the month to finish since I am working so much the next couple weeks.

Thedollylala
05-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Pride prejudice and zombies :)

aniela26
05-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Just started reading 50 Shads of Grey. Haven't gotten to the juicy parts yet, but I know they're coming! :dizzy:

alinnell
05-18-2012, 10:50 AM
50 Shades (http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z104/alinnell/50shades.jpg)

LOL

FrouFrou
05-18-2012, 08:02 PM
The bad thing is I am still working on getting A Visit From the Goon Squad read. The good thing is I have started reading it again, a little each night and am halfway done. I like it so that is not the reason for not finishing, just too many other distractions.

sheramama
05-18-2012, 10:32 PM
I've just started reading "Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children" and also have only a few pages left of "Delirium" by Lauren Oliver. They're both light readings, a bit childish perhaps, but I'm sometimes in the mood for that.

I read both of those before...Loved them both. Try "Going Bovine" by Libby Bray too if you haven't...awesome YA book :)

ANOther
05-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Derby Day by D.J. Taylor

nataliegm
05-20-2012, 04:33 PM
I just finished water for elephants a week or so ago then watched the movie. I want to read 50 shades of grey so someone let me know how that is. Just started the second hunger games book, catching fire.

Elsewhere is Fine
05-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Enemies, a Love Story by Isaac Singer: I'm enjoying it so far...but I'm only 30 pages in.

Shaper
05-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Ok finished 1984 and now I'm going to move onto Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Y'know gotta get these dystopian novels out of the way.

Nothing like a good dystopian novel;)

You've reminded me that my Brave New World has been gathering dust for many years. I'm putting it on my June reading list. But first I want to begin and finish "The Count of Monte Cristo".

lovemydoggiesx2
05-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Im reading 50 shades of Grey as well.

Kayriel
05-20-2012, 06:51 PM
World War Z by Max Brooks.

I've just come off a romance novel binge and back to fantasy/sci-fi.

LeilaJey
05-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Nothing like a good dystopian novel;)

You've reminded me that my Brave New World has been gathering dust for many years. I'm putting it on my June reading list. But first I want to begin and finish "The Count of Monte Cristo".

haha, certainly! I don't know why I keep doing this to myself, it makes me feel totally hopeless. It reminds me of when I read The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath... ahh, had to get through it as fast as possible.

Maybe after Brave New World I'll read a joke book ;) good luck with it yourself.

Gogirl008
05-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Just finishing up These is My Words (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/348225.These_Is_My_Words) by Nancy E. Turner. Great historical fiction written in a diary format. Love the main character.

LittleBlueCat
05-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Starting the third book of Hunger Games Series: Mockingjay

AmyLynn19
05-21-2012, 01:55 AM
Mob Daughter by Karen Gravano
At first I could not stand Karen on the show, but after reading her book I now understand where she comes from in her life and now have a new found respect for her. Its a great read!

veggiegirl123
05-22-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm a voracious reader and have read 100 books so far this year (and mindlessly snack while I read ugh!). Currently I'm reading Hounded, by Kevin Hearne. So far I'm enjoying it! Love seeing how many of you are reading The Fifty Shades trilogy-loved these books!

Is anyone here on Goodreads? I'm a moderator for a couple of the book clubs there :)

2feelbetter
05-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Executive Actions : By Gary Grossman
It's a political Thriller. Spies espionage I love that stuff.

Smiling_Sara
05-22-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm a voracious reader and have read 100 books so far this year (and mindlessly snack while I read ugh!). Currently I'm reading Hounded, by Kevin Hearne. So far I'm enjoying it! Love seeing how many of you are reading The Fifty Shades trilogy-loved these books!

Is anyone here on Goodreads? I'm a moderator for a couple of the book clubs there :)

I am I am! Want to PM me your goodreads link? I will certainly add you!

veggiegirl123
05-23-2012, 06:35 AM
I am I am! Want to PM me your goodreads link? I will certainly add you!

Cool! will pm ya :)

eta: I don't see how to pm you, I wonder if I'm too new to the forum to do that yet? Or I may just be overlooking how to do it? If you go onto GR and search for the group The Happy, Healthy Veggie Group I am the creator/mod for it and I show up as the only mod. My GR name is Sara and my avatar picture is of a green library sign :)

Smiling_Sara
05-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Cool! will pm ya :)

eta: I don't see how to pm you, I wonder if I'm too new to the forum to do that yet? Or I may just be overlooking how to do it? If you go onto GR and search for the group The Happy, Healthy Veggie Group I am the creator/mod for it and I show up as the only mod. My GR name is Sara and my avatar picture is of a green library sign :)

Joined the group, and added you as a friend. Thanks!! :)

veggiegirl123
05-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Joined the group, and added you as a friend. Thanks!! :)

Just realized we have the same first name :D I'm pretty active on GR and love doing reading challenges with a few GR groups. I think I'm doing over 40 reading challenges right new oiy!

I finished Hounded yesterday, as well as read Charming the Highlander by Janet Chapman. This afternoon I'll be starting Firelight by Kristen Callihan.

Eta: finished Firelight and loved it! If you like historical/paranormal romance I highly recommend this one :)

rprbabe
05-23-2012, 01:13 PM
I just finished Home Front by Kristin Hannah, it was really good, made me cry in several places and I didn't want to put it down.

gardenerjoy
05-25-2012, 09:34 AM
I gave up on Julia's Child by Sarah Pinneo -- people with small children and/or small businesses (or dreams of them) seemed to get more out of it than I did.

My lunchtime book is Why Calories Count by Marion Nestle and Malden Nesheim -- really good!

I just started reading a book I received for review (an advantage of running a book blog), Jasmine Nights by Julia Gregson. It's set in England during World War II -- one of my favorite settings for stories.

I found veggiegirl123 on Goodreads. I'd be happy to connect with other Chicks there. This is me:
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/293164-joy-weese-moll

veggiegirl123
05-25-2012, 09:35 AM
I gave up on Julia's Child by Sarah Pinneo -- people with small children and/or small businesses (or dreams of them) seemed to get more out of it than I did.

My lunchtime book is Why Calories Count by Marion Nestle and Malden Nesheim -- really good!

I just started reading a book I received for review (an advantage of running a book blog), Jasmine Nights by Julia Gregson. It's set in England during World War II -- one of my favorite settings for stories.

I found veggiegirl123 on Goodreads. I'd be happy to connect with other Chicks there. This is me:
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/293164-joy-weese-moll

Glad you found me :D

themusicalfruit
05-25-2012, 04:03 PM
I was reading The Shining by Stephen King at the beginning of May, but now I'm reading Paper Towns by John Green

Aclai4067
05-25-2012, 04:44 PM
The Best American Science and Nature Writing (2011) edited by Mary Roach. It's a compliation of articles, so some are better than others. Overall pretty interesting.

Oh, and last month I read Bonk by Mary Roach, it was awesome.

COchick
05-25-2012, 04:51 PM
I just finished the latest Sookie Stackhouse novel, which was okay. Not her best.

I'm still pondering what to start next.

2feelbetter
05-26-2012, 06:45 AM
I'm just starting - Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots by Deborah Feldman. I work near a hasidic community and see a lot of hasidics so I wanted to know a little more about their culture.

I wish I was reading it on my kindle because their are a lot of Yiddish words and I don't know what they mean.

It was $10.99 to get the kindle version so I just got the actual hardcover from my local library. I was 2 or 3 months on the waiting list. I think it got popular when she was promoting the book in TV. That's where I saw her.

gardenerjoy
05-26-2012, 09:53 AM
I finished Why Calories Count by Marion Nestle and Malden Nesheim. Only the last chapter is really aimed at helping people lose weight -- but it's right on track with my experience. An excellent and short description of what it really takes. And the rest of the book is good, too -- not a weight loss book, more of a popular science book.

Now, I'm reading The Traveller's History of Ireland in advance of my trip next month.

veggiegirl123
05-28-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm on a big YA kick now and I'm working on A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett. After that I'm reading Nevermore by Kelly Creagh. This one has a really interesting sounding plot! After these two I have 6 other YA books to read!

Smiling_Sara
05-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Just realized we have the same first name :D I'm pretty active on GR and love doing reading challenges with a few GR groups. I think I'm doing over 40 reading challenges right new oiy!

I finished Hounded yesterday, as well as read Charming the Highlander by Janet Chapman. This afternoon I'll be starting Firelight by Kristen Callihan.

Eta: finished Firelight and loved it! If you like historical/paranormal romance I highly recommend this one :)

I noticed this as well. I look forward to seeing you on GR! :)

2feelbetter
05-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Hmmm their are a lot of abbreviations here that I'm not sure about.

YA- is that young adult?
GR - I have no clue what that is please tell me.

Clydegirl
05-30-2012, 08:31 AM
I have just started "Handling Sin" by Michael Malone.

It's the funniest book I've ever read. 3 thumbs up for this one.

BillBlueEyes
05-30-2012, 11:31 AM
GR - I have no clue what that is please tell me.
GR isn't common to my knowledge, but was used after a few references to goodreads
http://www.goodreads.com/