Exercise! - May Running! Spring into action!

View Full Version : May Running! Spring into action!

ncuneo
05-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Good morning ladies, so I am really hopeful that we can keep the momentum going, the participation last month was amazing!!!! That's why I do this thread:) Everyone is doing so fantastic! I love it!

So this is our monthly running thread where we share all there is to share about our love, and sometime hate, of running :) So spring into action this month and run! Don't care what kind of runner you are, if you run you're a runner! Distance, pace, none of that matters!

ncuneo
05-01-2012, 10:45 AM
So I managed to get my 20 in on Sunday, the heat wasn't a problem, my body had no issues, but me head and my heart were not into it. Starting to burn out a little I think, but I'm recognizing it adapting a bit to get myself to the start line in June in one piece.

6 miles this morning. I skipped the "scheduled" workout and just ran. It was nice. Ignored my watch and just did the work.

I'm running my first 5K this weekend. I'm excited, but nervous...because I have a pretty serious time goal...which is dumb considering I did 20 last weekend, my milage is high for me this week and it will be a trail run...I'm not much of a trail runner...so we'll see how that goes:)

Hope everyone is having a great week!

drake3272004
05-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Well so much for beautiful weather this week! If it was warm light rain I would consider going out anyway, but got thunderstorms instead.

So indoor workout for me!

krampus
05-02-2012, 10:45 AM
2.5 miles yesterday. Threw up in my mouth at the start, but ended up pushing through with NO WALK BREAKS. Made the first mile in 8 minutes!

K9Owner
05-02-2012, 11:00 AM
I completed my 1st 1/2 Mary on Saturday, which was nothing shy of AMAZING! After 10 yrs, back injury (subluxation plus a 320 + lb patient falling on me, exacerbating the injury), not being able to run for almost 3 yrs, re-injury to the same area 2 yrs ago training for a 1/2, toenail surgery a week and a half before this race……sheesh, I'm surprised I made it to the finish line!!!

However, I DID make it!

I love Nashville, TN for many reasons, but one of the lovely ones is that it is loaded with a beautiful landscape and gorgeous rolling hills…LOTS of them! :lol: Great for a Sunday afternoon drive…TORTUROUS for a Saturday morning run!!!

I was projected to finish at 03:30 and was just hysterical when I crossed the finish line and my final time read 02:45!

I think I am still "high" from the adrenaline & it's Wednesday! :D

So, my questions to all of you advanced runners is this....How long do I recover before I
1.) Pick my weights back up?
2.) Run a mile or 2?
3.) Schedule my next 1/2?

I'm planing to focus on Body Recomp over the summer--basically weight training and no more than 8 miles/week of running in an attempt to have a major disappearance of fat by August. I know I can maintain my weight with running, but I need it to look differently...precisely, more muscular!! :lol:

lm3898
05-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Hi ladies! I'd like to join this thread for May! My 1st May run will be tonight - I'm hoping to get 5 miles in under 40 min again [last done on Sat] - I have a 5 mile race on Mother's Day I'm prepping for so here's hoping!

LC - 28 yrs.

beachlover86
05-02-2012, 01:20 PM
K90wner- don't have the answes to your questions but wanted to say congrats! That's awesome!

Krampus- you are one fast Chica! WTG!!!

I didn't run yesterday because Im starting insanity and had the fit test. I figured I'll just go back and forth. It'll take me prob twice as long to finish but that way I don't lose my endurance I've built up and need for the longer runs I plan on doing in the fall. Going for about a 3 mile run this evening if everything goes according to plan! Hope everyone is having a wonderful week.

sacha
05-02-2012, 01:31 PM
2 miles yesterday alternating walk/run @ 3.5mph and 6.3mph (1 min on, 1 min off) for 30 minutes.

devadiva
05-02-2012, 04:32 PM
k9 owner: wondering where you had been TRAINING! CONGRATS!!!
ncuneo: You will do great on the trail run and will most likly really enjoy it,I do all my running on dirt or trail much easier than road on the joints {though I hear the times are slower I wouldn't know since its all I do}
Everyone else great job on your runs;

As for me woke with a mirgraine today but took an Imitrex waited an hour and then ran a 5 miler not my fastest but felt good to get out been working a few extra days {BOO HOO} and its cutting into my running scedule! But day off today chores and running today.

TurboMammoth
05-02-2012, 08:50 PM
ncuneo : thanx for starting the thread again :) and personnaly, I looove trail running! A little part of my long run lately was on a trail and it was always my favorite part of the run. The difference between concrete and the dirt road really helps the knees too!

drake : better indoor than nothing!

krampus : you litteraly threw up? or it's a figure of speech? (this is one of the time my french understanding of this make me say WOAAAH lol) if the threw up thing is real, god you're a warrior!

k9owner : WOW! that is awesome :D great time!!!

devadiva : running even with the migraine.. you go girl!

i finished my freaking.hills.training last night.

YAYYYYY!

after 4 weeks, I finished it last night with the 7 repetitions hills/8k. Meeeh. So boring. Going on the same streets seven freaking time. Plus some people we having a BBQ at a house right at the top of my hills section, it was smelling delish, I was there, climbing this thing, starving and sweating my life. ''Go run, they said. It will be fun, they said'' :P

Going again for a 8k tomorrow and a 14k this weekend... I need to map a route, I've never ran that far!

Have a great month of running, everyone!

drake3272004
05-02-2012, 10:38 PM
I spoke to soon, thunderstorms moved thru quickly & I was able to get a run in afterall! :carrot:
Still working on my form, it's slow going. I noticed my lower back has been really sore lately & realized that I am leaning too far forward when I run.

:cheer2: Good luck on your running the next few days! :cheer2:

I won't be running...... I get to work doubles the next couple days.

chickadee32
05-03-2012, 01:18 AM
nunceo: My first trail run was the 10K last Saturday, and I loved it! If that park were closer to my house (it's a good 50 minutes away) I would run there every weekend. I think you're going to have a blast, and GOOD LUCK on the race!!

krampus: WOOHOO on no walk breaks! And the 8 min mile!

K9: Congratulations on the half!! I would have cried too. :) I wish I had answers to your questions, but I'm sure someone here will!

lm3898: Man, that's fast! Someday I really hope I can do the same.

sacha: How does the running feel for you right now? How much running were you doing before?

Turbo: Congrats on finishing the hills!

I mapped out a strategy for training for the 5K in a few weeks, with a goal of improving my speed as much as I can between now and then. Monday night I did a 3 mile run at 5.5 mph for the first time and that felt tough but decent, and then tonight I did 3.5 miles with the first 75% at 5.5 mph and the last 25% at 6.0 mph. Slow for some but that's a really fast pace for me to sustain cardio-wise, and holy smokes was I dying the last few minutes! I am totally psyched that I just pushed through it and finished though, and I'm really hoping the speedwork is going to make a difference come race day. Friday night it will be 3 miles at 5.5 mph again, followed up by some walk/run sprints; Saturday will be an easy 5 mile run; and then Monday it's time to up the pace again.

autodidact
05-03-2012, 01:37 AM
Hello, I'm back again. I had a bit of a bad fortnight, including the death (from cancer) of a friend, funeral etc. So i was not here much.

BUT I am still running although my milage has gone down this fortnight, (I got sore knees as well)
Tomorrow morning I am going to run though, and again at the weekend and hopefully next week i will be back into it.

Opps, the boys are home, chat more later!

milmin2043
05-03-2012, 03:46 AM
I am still around and running every other day. I bought a racing bike last month and I have gotten into biking to cross train and avoid overuse injuries. I signed up for my first duathlon this month. 2 miles running/15k biking/2 miles running. Should be fun. Everyone is doing great!

got2bhappy
05-03-2012, 06:06 AM
I've never posted in the monthly running thread but had a story I am sure others can relate to!
I started this journey at 227 lbs. At one point I've been much higher, but I don't exactly "count" it because I was pregnant. :^:
I have never been athletic or done any sort of significant physical activity. I failed gym class in 8th grade because I dreaded it so much, I skipped half the time. No show = no credit.

Then last February I started running on the treadmill. At first, it was 10 second bouts of jogging slowly because that was all I could manage...but I've built it up over time. I ran my first 5k last June, another in November, and did a 7k this March. Now I am training for half marathon in June and another in September, and my speed - while still slow - is significantly improved. It's pretty much unbelievable. Literally, i know of people from high school who have found this out through mutual friends and said things like "What, are you kidding me?" "No WAY!" or "Are we talking about the same person?".

Anyhow I was out for a run at a busy local boardwalk. I was sweating and breathing fairly hard. I met a woman with a little boy, and he said to her "Mommy, what's that lady doing?". The woman replied "That's a runner, honey! Running is hard work!".

Somebody called me a runner!!!! I know I run, so I'm a runner, but it's pretty crazy to be referred to that way. Especially knowing the basics of my physical fitness history! I was all smiles for the rest of my run. I wish that woman could know just how much she made my day!

lm3898
05-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Devadiva - Congrats on running after your migraine - that is super impressive! Everyone else - way to go - you guys are motivating!

I didn't quite make 5 miles last night - just too tired, started too fast. 4.25 miles in 35 min - I'll still take it. I have my first registered race - 5 miles on Mother's Day so I've gotta keep moving!!

lm3898
05-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Somebody called me a runner!!!! I know I run, so I'm a runner, but it's pretty crazy to be referred to that way. Especially knowing the basics of my physical fitness history! I was all smiles for the rest of my run. I wish that woman could know just how much she made my day!

WAY TO GO!!!! That's completely awesome! I remember when I started running again to lose weight. For the longest time, I was too embarrassed to run outside - I thought people would be staring or would make fun of me, but now it's become my favorite thing & I love that when I pass people, they can't hear me approach until I'm right there, I used to be PANTING so hard they could hear me 1/2 mile away...

booboo52
05-03-2012, 09:50 AM
i just start running and only getting through 1 mile without stopping my goal is to run 3 miles without stopping

ncuneo
05-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Ooooo! I have had my eye on a Dualathonal too! It's next March so we'll see...never raced a bike before, don't even own one, but I do love my spinning!

K9
1.) Pick my weights back up?
2.) Run a mile or 2?
3.) Schedule my next 1/2?

As soon as you feel ready to all three questions. I could give you the standard answer, 1 day rest for every mile raced...but seriously who listens to that? If you feel ready and are uninjured you could run tomorrow. I honestly don't remember what I did after my first half...but I know I didn't wait 13 days:) Seriously though, listen to your body, because it is recovering and repairing. Everyone recovers differently. It took me at least a week before my legs didn't feel like jello after my marathon, but a friend of mine was knocking out 8 milers like it was nothing after hers...everyone is different.

8 miles pretty easy miles this morning...was supposed to be a tempo run, but it wasn't much of that.

TurboMammoth
05-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Hey all! glad to know everyone's run is doing fine! :)

I went for an easy 8k this afternoon, I was planning to do it at a 6:50 min/k pace but I ended up running with a collegue and doing it at a 7:06min/k. I was okay with it though, I ate an apple just before going and it was stuck in my stomach LOL

My next run is planned for sunday (long one) and I'm planning to go biking saturday morning during the time the boyfriend has to work as a crosstraining. I'll try to keep the legs fresh for the long run though ;)

free1
05-04-2012, 09:41 AM
I am doing the C25K program and have gotten to the longer 20 minute runs (although this is probably really short for most of you). I did the previous runs on an indoor track. Today, I ran outside early in the morning (temp around 67) with a lot of humidity. I was struggling more to breathe today. My pace was about the same but for some reason it seemed harder to actually breathe.

My inexperienced question....Is it harder to run outside for any of you? Can humidity effect breathing>

K9Owner
05-04-2012, 12:01 PM
My inexperienced question....Is it harder to run outside for any of you? Can humidity effect breathing>

Yes and yes.
the thing you must remember about breathing and running in humidity is HYDRATION! & not just right before you run. It has to be the day before, the day of, and during the run. I live in the south and we have temps in the summertime of 95-102 degrees with humidity indexes making it feel like a muggy 108-112!! It becomes very difficult to run in. However, if you hydrate properly before and during, it helps.
I can usually drink about 112-160 oz/day during the summer, just to do a measly 4 miler at dusk.

K9Owner
05-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Nicole: After waiting patiently for the weights, I could wait no longer. I started "1/2 Mary Recovery" at the gym last night.
Although, I'll tell you, drastically reducing the weights felt like going backwards! But, I kept telling myself-"Recovery, Krystal....recovery" :lol:
It felt good to do even the 5lb dumb bells, since it's been since April 11!!! :yikes:

chickadee32
05-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Did 3 miles @ 5.5 mph tonight with the last few minutes at 6.0, 6.5 and then 7.0 mph. The same run as I did Monday night, but tonight it was much easier. :D I followed up with some sprint sets, and those felt pretty good too. My right knee has been bothering me since that hard run on Wed, and I know I should probably give it a rest... but I have just 2 weeks before the 5K, and then I'll be off the running completely for 2 weeks after that, so I think I'm just going to wait on giving the knee a break until then.

philana
05-05-2012, 12:41 PM
I didn't run so much in April because it was constantly raining, but since the weather is still not looking up I finally decided to just ignore the rain.

Ran 10k for the second time, and was 3mins faster than the first time. Took me 70minutes. Ever since I incorperated barefootrunning my ankle and shin pains have disappeared. I don't run barefoot all the time, but just every other run or so. Depending on the route and the distance. My feet are not up to anything longer than 5k and I am gonna buy fivefingers soon but not yet.

When do you gals start drinking water during your runs? And does it make a difference? I am still not bringing water but I think any more than 70-90mins I am really gonna need it. Obviously sooner when it's hot out.

devadiva
05-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Signed up for a 5k yesterday and ran it this morn. It is run with a marathan. Its a super steep course [on sandy trail} if you run the whole thing...I just did the 5k.
I did it in 43:44 and was 2nd ,1st was a 10 yr old. I beat her on the uphill she beat me on the down hill. It had a 700ft gain in that 1.6 miles at 5,500 ft elevation. I usually run on flat so I was slow. But faster than the reat. Was maybe only 20 people doing 5k and over 130 doing 10 miles or the full 26+. I was very happy with it.

chickadee32
05-05-2012, 05:06 PM
deva: Awesome job!! It sounds like that was a really tough course!

philana: Woohoo on the time improvement! The longest run I've done was about 90 minutes and I wasn't drinking water during, just before and after and I made sure to hydrate really well the day before. I, too, think that if I were going to do something exceeding 2 hrs then I'd need a way to rehydrate during the run.

I did 5 easy miles on the treadmill today with a faster push at the end, and the knee felt ok. Still definitely off, but not really painful or anything.

I've noticed lately that no matter the speed/distance I'm running, it takes me a good 10 minutes to feel like my body has settled into the 'groove' of the run; before that, it's like I'm still trying to get comfortable. It's not an issue of my breathing, but rather the way my body is moving. Is this true for anyone else?

TurboMammoth
05-06-2012, 02:28 PM
philana : I wasn't carrying water with me when I started running, but it kinda grew on me. I drink about one sip very kilometer. It mostly helps so hydrate my mouth I think, my mouth get really dry while I run. I try to limit to on sip every km so I don't get into the hypoathreny thingy

devadiva : wow! congrats on your run! OMG THE ELEVATION! that is a nice challenge, and you were a champ on it! yay for you!

chickadee : glad that your knee is feeling a bit getter :) I have the 10 minutes feeling that I need to really settle into my pace and my run (actualy it's even more a 14 minutes / 2 kilometers for me) you're not alone, don't worry ;)

Just went for my long run of the week, 14k and it felt great :) I discovered some new lovely trails too and it was a new challenge of changing my running route.

A really nice thing happened too : I was about at kilometer 11 and an old men passed be on his bike. When he reached my side, he slowed down and told me ''Don't give up, miss, keep going!'' It got me all ''awwww'' :)

iowasteph2
05-06-2012, 06:31 PM
You are all so motivating, and I thank you for that! I started reading your posts yesterday, and I thought--Aha! I should be trail running right now rather than sitting here reading these posts! So, off I went! Thanks! I did a couple of miles, since I had just finished up a trampoline aerobics class. (Have you tried one? They're so much fun!)

I'm still kicking around the idea of trying a half marathon either in August or October. I broke my toe in February, and it really goofed up my training and fitness level, but I'm back to where I left off (which isn't great, but hey, it's better than where I was last year!). I had counted myself out of the August half, thinking that I didn't have enough weeks, but I realized today that it's still a strong possibility!

I look forward to checking in more often. Keep up the good work, everyone!

chickadee32
05-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Turbo: Oh good, I'm glad it's not just me! I ran outside today, and that seemed way better... maybe it's just more an issue on the treadmill where I can't naturally vary my pace at the start? Nice job on the 14K - I'm glad it felt so good! And that's a really cute story. :)

iowasteph: Really cool to hear that the thread got you out on the trail yesterday! I've never trained for a half (I'm still pretty new to this running thing), but I was looking at a training schedule starting in late June to do one in September. It seems like you would definitely have time to train for one between now and August!

I wasn't planning to run today, but I ate a bit more Greek food for lunch than I intended and so decided to get outside for a run this afternoon. I loved the trail run last weekend and so had looked for one closer to me, and found a 3.7 mile loop around a lake in a nearby park where it seemed like I could do a nice, relaxed jog. I thought I had read in the description that it was mostly flat... but, um, no - it was ALL hills! Not many long hills, but almost all up and down, and a lot of the hills were steep! It was still fun (I actually really liked doing the steep uphills on my toes around the roots and rocks), but it definitely wasn't the easy run I had planned on, lol. I was planning a tough run (upping my speed again) on the TM tomorrow night, but after 3 days in a row of running I'm thinking it might be smarter to take the night off and wait until Tues to do it.

iowasteph2
05-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Chickadee--sounds like a tough (but fun!) trail run!

Tonight, I took my youngest son out in the jogging stroller. It's always so tough for me to run with it. I ended up doing 4.25 miles, but I jogged .2 and then walked .05 throughout the whole run.

Have a great week, everyone!

lm3898
05-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Was in South Beach Miami for a bachelorette party last weekend, but managed to get 3.5 miles in Friday, pretty happy with that considering it was about 85 degrees and humid as all get out. I did stop once to catch my breath after 2 miles. Ran 5 miles last night at 42 min. Really trying to get back under 40 min. but my right achilles is giving me trouble again. I'm going to try to stretch better and run again later this week b/w 3 and 4 miles, hopefully it will go well as I have a 5 mile race Sun - REALLLLLLY want to finish under 40 min...

drake3272004
05-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Was able to run Thursday after my double shift, had just enough light. Gets tricky when I work late, we live in farm country and dirt roads get dangerous to run if it's too later
Went for a bike ride on Sunday instead of a run & yesterday it was raining like crazy. Got out there today, felt good! I am still working on just doing a mile. At this point I am worried about pushing myself too much too fast. Slow and steady with no injury is the goal! I will worry about speed later.

chickadee32
05-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Did 3 miles at 5.6 mph tonight, with the last few minutes at 6.0, 6.5 and 7.0 mph. Felt tough, but not terrible. Will do 3.5 miles at the same speed on Wed night, hopefully as a 3/1 run with the last 25% at 6 mph.

TurboMammoth
05-09-2012, 10:04 AM
lm3898 : 5 miles in 42 minutes!! Good lord! That's fast! You must fly :D

drake : as you said, slow and steady is the key :) keep going!

chickadee : nice workout! good job :)

hey runners!

Went for my first interval of the my program last night : a 6k with 5 x 2 min little sprint (average a pace of 5:30 min/kilometer). It was okay, I was really feeling I was going out of my comfort zone while doing it. Plus it was rainy, my raincoat felt heavy and got me a bit too hot... Anyway. Did the sprints + recovery time 6k in 39:40.

I'm a bit freacking out these days though, one of my shoes is slowly getting pearced on the top of the toes. Ahhh! I love my shoes so much, I don,t want to change them :( I might try to fix the hole for now and only change them after my run at the end of June...

philana
05-09-2012, 01:00 PM
good running you gals!

Turbo: nice job on the sprints. I work on my pace by doing short runs (3k) as fast as possible with a few breathing-walks.

The weather is just in a funk, I wanted to go running yesterday and then it started to rain like crazy. So I just went today in one of the few breaks from the rain, and OMG! It is hot outside. I've been holing up inside because of the rain and had no clue it was that warm. Haha.

Anyhow, did 7.1k (4.4miles) in 48mins and am pleased with that. I took off my shoes after 3.5miles and my pace went up again. My big toes have blisters on the bottom though so I really can't run too much without them while I wish I could, it's so nice. I love it.

Will do 2 short runs and then hopefully a 12.5k on sunday.

devadiva
05-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Just a quick drive by SOUNDS like everyone is pushing it yeah for all of us!!!

Ran a 10k this am not my fastest,but 1;06;20. Had a kickbut HIIT class at execise last night and am really achey...well off to deep clean the house YUCK! {but it feels so good when its done)

krampus
05-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Went just under 4 miles in 38 minutes on the bike path yesterday. It was super humid so breathing was awful but my legs didn't get tired at all. I thank hiking for that!

philana
05-10-2012, 04:15 PM
3mile run in 28mins today.
Did it barefoot and in the rain with shorts and only a tanktop. Dark clouds everywhere but super warm. It was awesome, animals were noisy along the river where I was running and storm was gathering. but thanks to the internet and awesome weather tools I knew I could go out for 30mins and be back before it broke. Was one of the most awesome runs as of yet. Unfortunately I've made the blisters worse, running in wet surface barefoot is just not the best thing. NEED 5fingers soooon.

Think I'll do gym-cardio and weights tomorrow and saturday and then attempt 7.5mile run on sunday.

chickadee32
05-11-2012, 12:23 AM
It sounds like everyone's running is going great this month! You guys amaze me with your speeds - I want to run like all of you someday. :)

Turbo: Awesome job with the sprints! I really feel like those help me to improve my speed more quickly. And I think I need new shoes too (or at least new inserts that correct my overpronation), but I, too, am going to wait until after my race in a week and a half. It just seems like a bad idea to change them right before a race!

I did 3.5 miles tonight on the TM, with the first 2.6 miles at 5.6 mph and the last 0.9 miles at 6.1 mph. Again, a tough run but not terrible. I just feel really, really good when I'm done with these runs - proud that I'm pushing myself and able to make it all the way through what I've planned even when it's hard.

Four more runs planned before my 5K next Saturday; three will be training runs, and one will be a slower 5 miler. I'm targeting under 32 minutes for the 5K, which I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do. Secretly I'd love to be able to run it in under 30 minutes, but I just don't think I'm there yet. Some day though.

lm3898
05-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Did my last run last night before my five mile race this Sunday! Really wanted to see how my Achilles would be - focused on shorter strides and felt like I was running slower but I was actually going faster which was awesome! Did 3.5 miles in 28 min 40 seconds. So if I can just shave off the 40 seconds Sunday I will be at my goal pace...we'll see. The shorter strides [and extra stretching] REALLY helped - I didn't have a single achilles problem. The only problem I did have was insane cramping for about 1.5 miles which was no fun - I really can't eat at all before running - I had dinner b/w 6 - 6:30 p.m. and ran at 9:30 and it was bothering me so something to remember for the future!

Congrats to everyone handling their runs this month - I love this thread! chickadee good working speeding up at the end...that isn't easy!!

devadiva
05-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Everyone is doing great I admire all your times so much! I am improving but so runs are just better than others.My Garmin does this compare thing for you on the computer. And my fastest 10k was a month ago?
Today I ran it 2 1/2 min slower??Today 10k...1:07:02.

Anyways trying to put in 10 ...10ks by the 22nd in celebration of my 60th birthday. Have 3 done.{just decided today}

beachlover86
05-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Wow everyone. WTG! I just did one run this week. 3 miles in the rain on wed. It was nice. Been crazy hectic here with family coming in for graduation tomorrow. Hope to be back on track next week!

drake3272004
05-11-2012, 07:13 PM
:cheer: go devadiva go :cheer:

Precious Little
05-12-2012, 05:01 AM
Did a short 25 min run with some sprints mixed in. I was so proud of myself - during one brief burst I hit a top speed of 8.69 mph (14 km/h)!! :running: So happy about this especially since I'm only running probably once a week.

I'd have to attribute the increase in speed/power to my Insanity workouts. Nothing else has improved my running the way this has - remarkable since I only manage about 2 (or less) of these a week.

devadiva
05-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Another 10k done today {cut 2 min off yesterday} makes 4...6 to go by the 22 IF life does't get in the way can't run on work days. WELL I can but its really hot when I get off {95 usually lately:[ }

Drake Thanks!

Precious little: I did 2 complete rounds of Insanity about 2 years ago it really builds your stamina.....think IT along with all the other working out{kickboxing,step,HIIT,Tabbatta,and of course weight lifting fast and slow light and heavy} I did in the past 5 years have made running a great thing and fairly easy for me to pick up at my age. I just started running 7 months ago.

chickadee32
05-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks lm3898! I seem to do best running on a pretty empty stomach too; I can't have an actual meal anytime within a few hours of a run or I feel sluggish and generally yucky. Good luck on your 5 mile race tomorrow!

deva, the ten 10Ks is a pretty cool idea for celebrating your birthday! I don't think I could do that much in such a short period, but I'm glad you're having fun with them!

I did 3 miles at 5.6 mph on the TM today, with the last few minutes at 6.1, 6.6 and 7.1 mph, and then after a few minutes of walking I did five walk/sprint sets. I didn't hydrate well enough yesterday and so the run felt harder than it should have, but the sprints felt really good so I was happy with that. It's pretty neat to see the improvements there... a sprint speed that was really tough for me 2 months ago now feels way more reasonable.

A slow 5 miles planned for tomorrow, but it's going to come after some rock climbing so should be a little more challenging when I'm already tired!

Precious Little
05-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Precious little: I did 2 complete rounds of Insanity about 2 years ago it really builds your stamina.....think IT along with all the other working out{kickboxing,step,HIIT,Tabbatta,and of course weight lifting fast and slow light and heavy} I did in the past 5 years have made running a great thing and fairly easy for me to pick up at my age. I just started running 7 months ago.

I only wish I'd known about Insanity BEFORE I started running, I think it would have made a huge difference and might have helped me to avoid my knee injuries. Oh well, lessons learned as they say!

philana
05-13-2012, 08:18 AM
I did 7,8miles today! OMG. That is just soooo far. Haha. It was awesome. I really pushed myself the last bit because I wanted to do it within 1u30, and I did. Really need to buy a waterbelt so I can drink.

I am just sooo thrilled.

chickadee32
05-13-2012, 09:39 AM
philana, yay! I love reaching a new distance on long runs too - it's such a feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction!!

devadiva
05-13-2012, 12:19 PM
#5 done today it was hotter had to go a few min later...

Everone is doing great got to run or should I say go!

TurboMammoth
05-13-2012, 05:55 PM
philana : yay for your 7.8 miles! were you barefoot?

chickadee : if I do not hydrate correctly before I go for a run, it always feel crappy LOL I so feel you on that point. Good luck with the run after your rock climbing!

devadiva : rock on on the 10k!!
Hey ladies!

Today was not the best day ever to run here, but I still went out on the rain because the half marathon is in not so long! :S

I went for a 16k on a new route. Bad bad bad BAD idea LOL. From kilometers 3-3.5 to 8, it was uphill, with a few little flat spot, no dowhill at all. Of course after that, it was downhill for like 4 kilometers, but it did not felt that great, I'd rather run on something flatter than downhill, it was harder for the knees... anyways.

Started out slow and maintained a slow pace of somewhere between 7:25 min/k to 7:30 min/k in the first 8k and after seeing I was doing okay, I slowly sped up to finish the 16k in 1:53:29, so average pace of 7:05 min/k.

My goal for the half if to finish it at a pace of 7:05 min/k, so I think I could do it. I still have 7 weeks of training and if the route as hilly as this morning, I could be a bit faster in the first half.

lm3898
05-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Did my first 5 mile race today since I picked up running again!!!! It went well - I've been running at about 42:30 and my time was a little higher but it was HOT today, no shade, and a mile of hills/incline so I'll take it! I'm really proud and sporting a new race t-shirt!

iowasteph2
05-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Hello again!! I've been jogging a lot with the jogging stroller, and it slows me down big time, but I enjoy taking my son, and he really enjoys the ride (though he slept nearlyt he whole time today!).

LM3898, aren't race t-shirts just the best? :)

lm3898
05-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Just checked the results - finished top 1/3 women's!! 60th out of 182 I'll take it!

lm3898
05-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Hello again!!

LM3898, aren't race t-shirts just the best? :)

Agreed!!! Congrats everyone on a great running weekend!

chickadee32
05-13-2012, 10:38 PM
lm: Congratulations on the race!! That's an awesome time. And I love race t-shirts. :D

iowasteph: I always see women running through my neighborhood with strollers, and it looks tough! And I was amazed by the ones who finished well ahead of me during my first 5K, lol. Great job getting out there to do it!

Turbo: The good thing about those unexpectedly tough runs is that they push you more than you probably would have normally pushed... which does reap benefits! I'm sorry it was tough on your knees though; that definitely isn't fun.

deva: Way to go on #5!

I did a slow 5 miles on the TM today, and it was a nice, easy run. I was so annoyed though; with 3 minutes left in my hour-long run, and at the point when my ponytail was soaking wet and I was flinging sweat everywhere (I sweat like crazy even during easy runs), someone got on the treadmill next to mine at the gym. First, I'm embarrassed when I'm sweating everywhere as it is, and I hate the distraction of having someone RIGHT next to me... but I expect that and don't mind it when the gym is pretty full. But the row of treadmills was totally empty this afternoon! I was at the very end of the row of ~20, and there was only one other person all the way at the other end, at that was it... so there were PLENTY of open ones available. Why would someone get on one immediately next to someone else, especially someone else who is sweating like a pig? It just irritated me, lol. Maybe my sense of gym ettiquette is off, but I NEVER get on a machine next to someone else unless I don't have a choice.

philana
05-14-2012, 03:10 AM
philana : yay for your 7.8 miles! were you barefoot?

Haha, nooo - I can't do more than 5k barefoot, after that my soles start to hurt. I am waiting to buy vibram fivefingers though. Though the short runs barefoot have already improved my running a lot, yesterday with the 12,5k on my normal nikes I noticed my knees got sore again, while barefoot I have no injuries. Awesome on the average time! I try to stick around 7.05-7.15/k on my longer runs too. How quickly did you add in distance to get to 16k? I am running a 16k in september but I really badly wanna run one in my training schedule as fast as possible to ease my mind knowing that I can do it.

chickadee: yeh it is, thank you! I hear you on the machine thing, some people have no sense for distance-keeping. It's the same kind of folks that will sit next to you in the bus while there's plenty of empty seats.

--
So after my long run yesterday I had to go to work, and I found out the hard way that is too much. I felt so uhg. Next time I have to plan my run so I have atleast 3hrs of chill time I think. And time to eat a really really solid meal. I notice the longer my runs get the more I have to think about stuff such as food/drinks before and after and energy distribution during the run. I still start out faster than I should everytime.

TurboMammoth
05-14-2012, 09:39 AM
How quickly did you add in distance to get to 16k? I am running a 16k in september but I really badly wanna run one in my training schedule as fast as possible to ease my mind knowing that I can do it.

I added distance pretty slowly, following that program :

http://www.towomensruns.com/images/215-230-17wks.pdf

I know the thought of the distance might be stresfull and as you said, you really just want to do one already to know you can do it, but I would suggest to add kilometers slowly (about 1-2 every weeks). Your run is just is september and he'd be sad to rush into the distance and eventually get hurt :(

devadiva
05-14-2012, 11:09 AM
#6 done Today on scedule today was a little slower had to stop and stretch inside groin mile 5 so slowed down a bit on home stetch but not really try to beat time everyday. That was a 4 in a row stretch I work tommarro so will only have execise class but she kicks but!!!! Well off to paint the fence!

IM3898 CONGRATS on your finish

EVERONE ELSE SHOUTS OUT TO YOU TOO WE ARE ALL WINNERS:}

CherryPie99
05-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Tomorrow I get to resume "normal cardio activities" which includes running. I haven't run in a month, although I walked a total of 67 miles during this recuperation period. I am going to try to run 3 miles straight at lunch. Please send good running vibes to me, I'm actually nervous!

devadiva
05-14-2012, 10:19 PM
I will be working but I will be thinking of you cherrypie!!!!

TurboMammoth
05-15-2012, 09:21 AM
CherryPie, how did it go?

Ran a 6k this morning with 2 x 1k interval within. God I'm not a morning person, but I wanted the workout to be done this morning because I might be finishing work late tonight because I offered my help to a coworker with something.

The run felt thougher than usual, but I can't point out if it was because it was 6:15 in the morning or because the interval were just hard on me.

Maybe both! ;-)

CherryPie99
05-15-2012, 06:09 PM
I did it! 3 miles straight with a time of 28:45. My breathing felt good and my legs felt good. It was definitely noticeable to be running without this huge flap of skin in the front. The incision did bother me a little while running - it felt tight and I could feel it bouncing up and down.

I felt no pain in my abs while running, but when I stopped there was definite pain. It lasted about 30 minutes. I didn't wear my compression garment, so I will the next time I run I will and see if that helps.

But I am so excited that I was able to get back in the groove without too much stress!!!!

lm3898
05-15-2012, 11:12 PM
Good work cherry pie!!! Congrats on getting back in the saddle!!!

chickadee32
05-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Congratulations, CherryPie!! That's awesome, and must have made you feel SO good!! I'm thrilled for you!

I upped the speed tonight and did 3 miles at 5.7 mph, and ugh, I was struggling so much by about 20 minutes in. Everything felt tired - my lungs, my legs, my body in general. Not sure why it was so rough, just one of those days I guess. And for some TMI (sorry)... I had some breakthrough bleeding during my run, which is worrying me. I've been doing estrogen injections since last week in preparation for my FET, and tomorrow morning is my appointment for a lining check, so I'll have an opportunity to ask them about it. This didn't happen during either of my previous cycles though, so it's concerning. Maybe I've just been pushing a little too hard.

devadiva
05-16-2012, 09:46 AM
cherrypie: I am so happy for you YEAH!!! And the compression thing sounds like a good idea {like a running bra} just to be safe . Hopefully the pain will lessen and WOW on your time FAST!

Chickadee: Hope all HEARS well at the doc today,we can be our own worst enemy with worry! Praying for you.

Well need to do some stretch and warm up CAUSE the temp sure is for my run......

krampus
05-16-2012, 10:10 AM
2 miles on the treadmill this morning in 17:17.

devadiva
05-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Got number 7 done today was my best time EVER for my 10k's...1:04:36. It was at a 5.8 mile speed with max of 7.3.Did the age grade caculater it said someone half my age could do it in like 54:40 or something BUT I am happy with it and hope to shave some more time....3 more to go before Tuesday.

drake3272004
05-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Sounds like everyone is trucking along!:carrot:

I haven't been out to run in awhile, injured my back doing yard work and it's slowly healing. Pulled something between my right shoulder blade and my spine when I had to repeatedly restart a push mower :( Not sad to say that I let my hubby take over and shortly afterwards the mower blew up! Cheap yard sale item, bye bye!!! I will stick to using the rider. :)

So just been stretching and doing short workouts inside. Really need to get this to heal because I start a new job in a few weeks, will be more physically demanding than my current. :carrot:

lm3898
05-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Welcome back Drake! Hope you are doing well!

Pushed it 6.5 miles last night! Pretty proud - that's one of the longest distances I've run - I signed up for a 1/2 marathon in late late Sept. so I have something to build for! Ran the 1st four miles at 8 min/mile and the last 2.5 miles at 9.5 min/mile, just trying to keep moving to get a feel for the distance.

philana
05-17-2012, 04:26 PM
AARGH! So, I run barefoot on shorter runs and I am faster when I run barefoot. Since I started doing that I don't have shin pains, also when I run with my nikes. But I do my long runs on my nikes and have a slower pace then. Today I did a 5k on my nikes but fast paced, and my shins hurt like something awfull again.

Next week my mom is getting me Vibram fivefingers. Can't wait! I don't wanna go barefoot all the time with cold and when it's dark out. But with nikes I just get injuries when I run fast. SO WEIRD.

Matilda08
05-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Hello everyone I continue to forget about this thread. Im still jogging I did a two mile walk/jog combo! I love this

devadiva
05-18-2012, 10:22 AM
A rightous run this morn started before sun up.. really windy but trying to beat the heat. I was almost a min slower but it was great! # 8 done
Only have two left but think hubby wants to hike both days on weekends and he likes {also} to go early a.m. it gets in to 90's by 10. So don't feel like running or hiking {its all uphill like almost 1,000 ft a mile.To go into mts} Guess we will see,may try to get it in before hike??????

Precious Little
05-19-2012, 04:25 AM
Went for a short run tonight, slow steady pace. Felt ok, but been tired this week so didn't really have it in me to push hard. Glad I was able to get out and run though.

Evenings are getting cooler (and earlier) here so it's quite pleasant just before the daylight is gone.

philana
05-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Precious Litte: well done on going and going slow! I know how it feels.

There's 3 essentials for me to run nicely, and when they all lack I just have a **** of a run.
- My earprotectors when there's even the slightest hint of wind. Otherwise I have a terrible headache in 10minutes
- Some food in my stomach
- My gps-tracker working when I expect it to, telling me how I am doing and at which pace.

All 3 were lacking today and I am never doing that again. LOL. I ended up running to my gym halfway through and tried to do some crosstrainer but was just so blah that I ran/walked back home. Oh well, atleast I was out and about being active for almost an hour and a half.

chickadee32
05-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Ran my 5K this morning, and it went great! I was really upset and worried it wouldn't go well as I've been extremely busy with work this week and haven't slept much nor hydrated well, and my quads have really been hurting from my injections. I didn't feel any pain whatsoever once I started running though, and so I really pushed myself and ended up with a far better time than I had dared hope for! I had been training to do it in under 32 min, with a secret-but-probably-unattainable goal of wanting to be under 30 min (one of my "one day" goals for a 5K), but when I stopped my watch after crossing the finish it said 28:51. :D I am so, so happy!

Edit: Official time was 28:48, and I was 43rd out of 135 (5th of 15 in my age group). Clearly a smaller, slower race. :)

Precious Little
05-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Precious Litte: well done on going and going slow! I know how it feels.

There's 3 essentials for me to run nicely, and when they all lack I just have a **** of a run.
- My earprotectors when there's even the slightest hint of wind. Otherwise I have a terrible headache in 10minutes
- Some food in my stomach
- My gps-tracker working when I expect it to, telling me how I am doing and at which pace.

All 3 were lacking today and I am never doing that again. LOL. I ended up running to my gym halfway through and tried to do some crosstrainer but was just so blah that I ran/walked back home. Oh well, atleast I was out and about being active for almost an hour and a half.

I know what you mean! I NEVER go out for a run without my phone (which I use Runkeeper with as GPS tracker). I refuse to, because I still can't judge my speed/pace well enough, after all this time.

devadiva
05-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Today was my 9th 10k this month one more to go. Today was my fastest time 1;04;50 really pleased just under 6 miles an hr! Not bad.
Went on a 4 mile hike yesterday 2 miles up 1,000ft gain so beautiful. It was easier than most around here. Was too hot to run when I got back.
SO will do final run brfore my BD tomarro.

CherryPie99
05-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Ran 4 miles in the heat this morning with DH. I was really excited to complete in 37:36. Not too shabby for less then 5 weeks post op!!

devadiva
05-21-2012, 10:55 AM
DID IT! Number 10 today ten 10k's in 20 days and threw a 5k race in there too. That was my Birthday present to me I have to work tommarro on my birthday otherwise I would have ran it then!Something memerable for the BIG 60 as they say

lm3898
05-21-2012, 11:24 AM
CONGRATS Deva - what an awesome accomplishment!!!! Yay! & Happy Birthday to you as well!! That's great - I love finishing a goal - there is truly no better feeling!!

Ran 4 miles Saturday - went out the night before so I was really dehydrated. Stopped for a bit after 2 miles & walked/did some crunches & pushups to break things up...glad I worked out but should have brought water/drank more before doing the run...

TurboMammoth
05-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Hey all!

I was off the forum for the weekend, I went down to my dad's place, back in the rural country!

I did a flat 10k on thursday before living with a collegue (I was super tired and it really sucked) but I went for a hilly 11k saturday at my dad's place and it was AWESOME (1hour15minute). Running by the sea and then in the back country where everything was bright green... wonderful :)

I got home last night and this morning I started my new week of training by a 8k fartlk (5 x 3 minutes at a 1 minute faster pace) and it felt good! It was raining when I started but of course, it started raining after 8 minutes into my run and I was stock with my running coat (of couuuuurse)

ready for the new week!!

devadiva
05-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Now my goal was done and birthday over just ran another 10k guess I am just addicted. Need to switch it up will run Fri but have company the ENTIRE weekend not sure how much I can get away....

wickedlady
05-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Sigh, I can never keep up with this thread!!

I am happy to say that I completed my half marathon last Sunday. It was a great race, and I beat my time last year by almost 10 minutes, finishing in 2:22:35 :)

And of course, the very next day, sore and hobbling around, I started plotting my next race and training plan for the summer :lol:

lm3898
05-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Congrats Wicked that's completely awesome!! I'm currently training for my 1st 1/2 marathon at the end of September and I'm definitely nervous!

Hello all - I've been sick for the past few days. Last night, due to my dog's excessive energy, I decided to try a nice slow run w/ him - well he pulled me the first block and then got tired and lagged behind so we only did a really slow mile and a half total with pee breaks [for the dog not me LOL]...glad I tried it but my pup does not make a good running buddy sadly. I'm going to try to go out for a long run Saturday morning - I'm shooting for 6-8 miles...

wickedlady
05-24-2012, 12:49 PM
hey, sometimes dogs need to be conditioned to run, too, not just humans ;)

free1
05-24-2012, 01:35 PM
DEVADIVA....You are my hero :)

lm3898
05-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Ran 4 miles tonight - happy b/c I was going to blow it off so I'm glad I made it. I did it on a treadmill though and was reminded how much I can't stand treadmill running! Did a 5k - 26 minutes, and an extra mile slow.

devadiva
05-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Got 4 miles in before company did it in under 40 min I AM GETTING FASTER!

ncuneo
05-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Oh I feel like I've totally abandoned you guys! I'm so sorry.

Where to start...So a couple things...one I visited a chiropractor this week to see if I could determine why I keep experiencing chronic injury on my left side. Sure enough my lest hip is low in it's joint (from carrying my almost 4 year old strictly on my left hip for almost 4 years) and my spine has also twisted to the left and my lower back is over arched (darn those cute carry me mommy faces). He treatment plan was too much for me to spend at this time so I'm vowing to piggy back rides only and lots of yoga and stretching.

Secondly 2 marathons just less than 3 months apart is resulting in overtraining syndrome. My performance has suffered greatly in the last two weeks, so this last week I cut the milage and "extra" cardio WAY back and had a nearly perfect 5 miler this morning.

So my marathon is a week from Sunday and I'm a little abivalent about it. Certainly not excited and nervous like before...more nervous that I won't meet my ridiculous expections...at this point finishing should be good enough (although I'd of course like to beat my previous time if even by a minute).

So after the marathon, I plan to do some serious fun running, ditch the schedule and just listen to my body. I do have half in October, but it's for fun with a bunch of girls I met online...so weird the "cyber" relationships I've made from running. But as far as my next marathon goes...well I'm just not sure when it will be right now.

Happy Running!

CherryPie99
05-27-2012, 12:32 PM
You will do great, Nicole! But after this you are going to take a break for a while, right?

Today I ran the farthest I've run since surgery - 5 miles. But here's the best part - 2 of the miles were under 9 minutes! Total time 45:22!!! I am way faster since losing the extra skin!

TurboMammoth
05-27-2012, 01:11 PM
ncuneo : I agree with cherrypie, you will do great :) and the ''Just for the fun'' run after that might do you well!

cherrypie : that is so great!!! glad you're feeling better and better!

Just came back from my long run, it was sunny and warm (people were looking at me weirdly in the end, I was probably tomato red...)

I ran 17k, the farthest I've ever been, and I really pushed it, finishing in 1h53min38sec. My first half marathon is in exactly FIVE WEEKS (OMG) and I really wanted to push a bit to see what I could give. I felt good to be in control :)

I was a bit weird after though, thank god I brought some dried apricot to munch when i got to the car LOL

lm3898
05-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Made it 6 miles Saturday morning - its the minimum of how far I wanted to get but honestly it was hot and HUMID so I can live with 6 miles... Happy memorial Day everyone!!

defenestrator
05-28-2012, 11:43 AM
I've just upped my mileage in preparation for a half-marathon in October. I am still very slow, but I'm hoping that the combination of more training and weight loss through the summer will help me get a lot faster.

devadiva
05-28-2012, 11:44 AM
ncuneo:JUST GO FOR THE FINISH and be happy you push your self to much {as we all do}enjoy the process we push through life! We need to smell the roses more,take care of yourself........
Cherrypie:That is so great you are faster,so SVELTE now!!!!
Turbo: Great job on your new distance is that around 11 miles?Great time I have not run for that long of a time yet one of these days...
Im3898:Congrads on your 6miles! with hummity YUCK thats not easy!!!

As for me company is gone YEAH love to see em come and then go!
Back to routine eating better and exercise...Ran my usual 10k this morning but BEAT my PB by alot{2 min} !!!!Did it in 1:00:55.
Next run we have around here is on 4th July. It is early in the morning but by then it will be in the 90's at that time not sure how good of time I can do.

drake3272004
05-28-2012, 11:51 AM
WOW..... you ladies are doing great!!!!

I am just getting healed up from hurting my back. :( I am right side dominant and I have to do some light lifting at work so it ended up taking longer than expected.

Went out for my walk/run, and very happy to say that I beat my old time even after being laid up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Compared to all you, tho, I am slow and don't go far :o
BUT, it's better then just 4 months ago when I couldn't even run.

I start my new job tomorrow. I might go run again later today, need to exhaust myself so I can sleep or my nerves will keep me up tonight!

lm3898
05-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Deva - you are the Queen of the 10k! haha.

Cherrypie - I just had a chance to go through some older posts here - and I clicked on your weight loss link and I am AMAZED by what you have done!!! Congratulations & you look PHENOMENAL post surgery!! CONGRATS!

defenestrator - how are you upping your mileage in preparation for you half marathon? I signed up for my 1st on Sept. 29th and I've been trying to do a long run a week w/ a few 5k's on other days slowly building up 1 - 1 1/2 miles a month until then...so I should be at 10-11 miles by Sept... what is your plan??

Made it 3.3 miles last night - just wanted to get a 5k in - and this heat/humidity is KILLING me!! Oh man - I tried to kick it up for the 5k portion as I have a 5k race this Saturday and I'm shooting for 25 min.

UNFORTUNATELY - I've been using mapmyrun for most of my runs to this point and I've found that it's become VERY inaccurate [it clocked me at having completed a mile in 6.5 min. when I knew I was only about .8 into the mile] so a lot of my old times might not be what I thought so I switched to endomondo on someone's suggestion on these forums [thanks!] and it seems a bit better so now, for short distances, I'm running about 8:30 min. miles and for 5miles+ it's more like 9:30min. miles...I'll get there! Just frustrating...

TurboMammoth
05-29-2012, 04:18 PM
devadiva : you are ROCKING those 10k!!! And yes I thing 17k is around 11 miles (a bit less I think)

drake : you're still lapping everyone on the couch. Keep that in mind ;)

lm3898 : I had that problem too with mapmyrun. I finally got a garmin thingy LOL

I reallly wanted to run tonight, but the sky is so dark and we are on the edge of an alert for thunderstorm... BLAH. still don't know what I'M gonna do.

aka8941
05-30-2012, 02:00 AM
hey guys! just starting a 10K program so I wanted to start checking in!

devadiva
05-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Got my run in the usual YES 10k....log 92 miles this month. Pretty happy with all I had going on with working extra and company.NOW if I could just push away from the table more.....Tried on the swim suits this AM . My fitness class is going to be adding a water areobics in additon to my Body scuplt with Tabbatta. SOOO thought I better see. Its OK not wonderful but def not bad for my age. BUT IMO AGE doesn't count but reality it does;{

lm3898
05-31-2012, 01:53 PM
Got in 4 miles last night [I used endomondo though so it was probably more like 3.7 or so as I'm finding it to be off] - I wanted to go fast to do the 5k route for the race I have on Saturday morning so I'm glad I did it, it's a pretty good course along the water so I really enjoy that. My shin was bothering me slightly during the run - but totally fine after and today so I'm going w/ fluke!

free1
06-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Newbie and a lurker here....Just wanted to post that I ran a 5K distance today FOR THE FIRST TIME. :) A little slow but hey, I finished. I'll work on pace now.

TurboMammoth
06-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Got an 8k in yesterday at a 7;11 min/km pace. I wanted to push it a bit more, but I was running with a collegue and she wasn't in shape to give more than that. Was still fun, though :-)

devadiva : 92 miles this month! OMG! you are on fiiiiii-re!

lm : running along the water is so nice. it makes you feel more in contact with the nature! hope your shin is okay

free1 : welcome and congrats on the 5k!! :D Everything has to start somewhere!!

devadiva
06-01-2012, 06:50 PM
turbo:it's fun to run with someone sometimes,but Iknow I like by myself best.It does challenge you when they are faster!
I'm: hope shin is still good and running in nature is the best!
Free great job on 5k watch for new June listing soon

As for me my Achilles on both feet have been a little sore(adjusting to new shoes) So took a break and rode 10miles on my cross bike it was a work out...funny how running 6.2 seems easier. And my heart rate was about 20 to 25 beats slower...IF my garmin was accurate.Don't have the bike thing but it recorded the miles right.

aka8941
06-02-2012, 12:35 AM
where's the June thread?

devadiva
06-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Nuenco usually starts it but I know she is very busy if she doesn't by tonite I will start it.
i ran 4 miles this morn,legs feel like lead guess its a combo from tabatta and a million squats at exercise class Thur,Fri. bike ride. Whatever guess they are getting stronger!

mkroyer
06-02-2012, 11:41 AM
ive been in vegas all week, on vacation..... been running 6-7 miles every morning. bright and early. its godawful hot here. 110 yesterdya ;) i HAVE to run at like 6 am, even then its in the 90s lol. I am hoping this is the momentum i need to find my run again....... oh, and the change in altitude wasnt a bad thing either! going from Denver and 6000+ ft high to practically sea level.... .. it felt great
back to denver tonight. ive eaten like a pig all week. My clothes are tight :)

lm3898
06-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Ran a local 5k race this am and I'm so happy with the results! Finished 71st overall (out of about 400), 10th in my age group (20-29) and 13th overall women's! That's my best yet!! Happy weekend everyone!

lm3898
06-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Running in over 90 degrees everyday MK?? That's dedication - good work!

ncuneo
06-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Mk! Welcome to my world! It was 115 at home Thursday...so if I want to run its at 4 AM:)

energie
06-02-2012, 07:55 PM
ran today for 1 mile straight and then I ran for 1.25 miles with some walking breaks in between. As the weight falls off and as I get to my goal weight, I hope to run a 5K in 18-21 minutes.

devadiva
06-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Ncuneo and Mk:Yeah I know the hot thing I need to get out early here also,yesterday it got to104. So I am running early!Running from the heat,
IM3898:Conrad you rock!
Energie:that's a great goal!Sure wish I could run that fast!