General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Default Decoupaging! Arty advice needed

I've recently been getting into decoupaging, so far I've covered one of those Ikea mini drawer sets and a bedside table.

I'm in the process of redecorating my bedroom and I've done all my walls and skirting to a nice white. I plan to do a little stencilling of some flowers, but I also have a chimney breast which I was thinking of decoupaging.

What kind of material would work best for the wall? On my last 2 pieces I just used crepe paper and other thin types of paper, with a mixture of pva/water and then sealed with a clear varnish on top. Is this suitable for a wall or do I need something else?

Also is there anything I should paint underneath to make it easy to remove, should I ever need to? I assume a wallpaper steamer would probably remove it though.

I would love any input or ideas, I see plenty of craft related things on here so you seemed like the right people to ask :-)
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I'm not sure -- I'd ask somewhere that knows about the heat of a chimney breast. I don't have those so I'm not good with chimney knowledge but if it gets warm, don't want the glue sticking the things on coming undone? Unless it is a more finished wall and now a raw type brick? Maybe that's where the stencil work should be? Something like this:

http://www.stencil-library.com/docs/asseenin006.htm

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 05-01-2012 at 09:03 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

We don't actually use this chimney breast-We used to have a log fire but it's since been removed and bricked up. So it's just a plastered wall now. I don't think it should be an issue in this case?

Last edited by serendipity907; 05-01-2012 at 09:40 AM.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote