Beck Diet Solution - Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2012 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

BillBlueEyes
05-01-2012, 05:29 AM
Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:The Complete Beck Diet for Life (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/084873274X/3fatchionadie)and the first bookThe Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person. (http://astore.amazon.com/3fatchionadie/detail/0848731735/104-4216363-1799918)

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.

This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here (http://www.3fatchicks.com).

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/206004-list-monthly-beck-threads-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes
05-01-2012, 05:31 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Good enough for food, CREDIT moi, until I had to make a trip to Costco. Ouch! I got smug when I saw that there were no FREE samples since it was late afternoon, thinking, I won without even trying. Then rounded a corner and banged into the FREE samples with my guard down. And sampled like I needed food to survive. The good news is that I didn't purchase a four pound bag of dry roasted almonds, a two pound loaf of flat bread with onions and olives, or a four pound clam of very large strawberries - all of which nearly jumped from the shelves into my cart. CREDIT moi for leaving behind stuff which I would only have purchased to overeat.

Did gym, CREDIT moi. Got to work out next to a HUGE guy - football player sized and built. He was using dumbbells twice the weight of mine, but I didn't feel competitive - his thighs were bigger than my waist with no visible fat anywhere.

onebyone – Hope the TV taping went well. Kudos for a walk at night - get to see your area in different light.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Big Kudos for buckling down and achieving your April exercise goal.

maryann - Congrats on "45 pages and 5 books" - you do well when you get concentrated. Kudos for giving up a weekend with your DS to get that done.

Tazzy - Congrats for the success of that 50th Anniversary party. 24 for dinner boggles my mind.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Kudos for "body composition changes" due to serious exercising. [Yay for an awesome bike.]

Susan (hikergirl) – Waving right back; Kudos for checking in.

CatholicCajun – Kudos both for leaving food and stopping when satisfied - two hard strategies to learn.

Readers - chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Confidently Follow Your Plan at Restaurants
At the Restaurant
I encourage you to ask for:. . .
Your grain plain, unless you want to use your Add-On Calories or Bonus Calories for butter, sauce, or a different topping. Be forewarned: Restaurants routinely add butter or cream to such foods as mashed potatoes and rice to make them taste better. You won't know, though, unless you ask.. . .Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 147.

fyreflie24
05-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Happy May!

Bill: Ugh, Costco... Kudos indeed for leaving it all behind! ;)

onebyone
05-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Coaches

I have not made it to the backyard and my outdoor studio yet. I'm not sure I will today. I need to carve out the details of the face in the very center of my woodblock-Mrs. Holliday's face to be exact-and I can feel I am not up to it. My critical eye, along with my simple mind and my worker's hands are not up to the challenge today. And if I go wrong with my woodcarving tools it's very very bad. So I need to rest up a bit. Not to mention I have, of course, only one, special, prepared, piece of paper to print onto. I spent the morning assembling a propossal to teach a relief printmaking short course at The Studios of Key West during their next academic session: 2012/13. It'd be a 3 or 4 day course and I was told the studios would house me for the duration of the course..and so, dear coaches, I would be able to return to Key West next year. And the year after I am eligible to apply once more as an artist in residence so if this all works out I may be set for the next 2 years. Anyway, all that to say today was the deadline for applying and I did it. man. So much going on. tonight and tomorrow morning it's all about the pottery guild spring sale this weekend. My deadline to deliver my big print is this Friday, so I must get it done asap. And, my first market day in over 2 years is this Saturday. Lots of prep for that left to do too.

Anyway, the good news, above and beyond this laundry list, is I have stayed OP. I have tracked daily. I have weighed daily and saw a GREAT thing on the wii fit sccale this morning. I met my goal to lose 4lbs in one month *credit* and I set a new goal to lose 5lbs in the next month. And the weight it told me I was today was 254 something. 254! I have not seen that in years. yay yay yay. So CREDIT MOI for all that.

Must go. Much, as you know, to do.

gardenerjoy
05-01-2012, 11:30 PM
I change my ticker on the first of the month and it was a pound lower than last month! Sometime this month, I think I'll change to one of the maintenance tickers I've seen on some profiles.

I had a weird day and started to use it as an excuse to eat off-plan snacks. Instead, I fixed the giant salad I would normally have had at lunch and ate it for a late afternoon snack. Weird, but it kept me on plan and it was actually tastier than the off-plan snack would have been.

WI: -0.2 kgs, Exercise: +50 50/1400 minutes for May, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes
05-02-2012, 04:32 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - I treated a day long drizzle as too much rain to allow a long walk; Ouch. Food was OK, CREDIT moi. DW served farmed salmon for dinner. It isn't Alaskan wild salmon, but it's tasty and has all the Omega-3's that make fatty fish so nutritious.

onebyone – Congrats on that 254! Seems wise to do wood carving only when firing on all cylinders. Good luck on getting a second trip to Florida.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Salad for an afternoon snack is creative; glad it worked.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Just noticed your yoga ticker - neat.

At the Restaurant Make special requests. I encourage you to ask for: . . .
Fresh fruit for dessert, if your plan allows it. Many restaurants have fresh berries or other fruits, even if they don't mention it on the menu. Just make sure to ask that the fruit be served plain - without whipped cream, sauce, or powdered sugar.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 147.

fyreflie24
05-02-2012, 08:47 AM
GUESS WHO SPORTED SOME SKINNY JEANS YESTERDAY?

Yea that would be me I'm stoked that I'm going to need NEW skinny jeans in another 18 lbs! I'm looking at a obscenely expensive pair of True Religions. I call that my maintenance plan They get too small and I gotta get right back on the wagon!

Did measurements today too.

Area Starting Current
Hips 46.25 39
thighs 29.75 24.75
Waist 35.25 29

it's getting there huh? Trying to find anything and everything to get me through this last 18 lbs!

Onebyone: Your work sounds amazing! Do you have pix?

Joy: BIG KUDOS on the salad!

Bill: Salmon is one of the foods both my kids get really stoked about (us too). Sounds like a great meal :) I want a wife too LOL!

Lexxiss
05-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi Coaches/Friends!

It has been crazy busy and I have seen the physical manifestation in my food choices the past few days. credit moi it's never bad like it used to be. When it got right down to it this morning I was able to identify that my office was piled up with everything. It was imperative to resolve that. In order, I:
~had coffee
~weighed (ok-up 1 after coffee)
~made green smoothie
~wrote today's food plan by the refrigerator
~picked up downstairs
~organized my office
~posted here

Beck Diet Solution at work.

A week from today we will have just lifted off and will be headed North. I am acknowledging that a week out I already feel like it's vacation. Reality is that I need to follow my food plan as close as possible the rest of the week. I'm sure we're going to be eating pretty darned healthy 90% of the time but I do forsee a 10% area. Reminder: Read up in my Beck books regarding traveling, vacations, etc.

BillBlueEyes, kudos for salmon, even Atlantic style.

Donamarie, congrats on skinny jeans!

onebyone, great job staying OP!

gardenerjoy, yay for moving your ticker down by 1!

Ok, off to chores! First on my list is calling Alaska to find out what the local grocery stocks for organic produce. We're taking our vitamix (actually buying a second one at Costco in Anchorage). I know I would go haywire without my smoothie for 10 days, it is a non-negotiable aspect of my food life now.

onebyone
05-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Hi Coaches:

I've completed another thing on my to-do list. *credit* I now am free from Pottery Guild duties until Friday at 11:30 when I am the "floater" at the guild's spring sale opening day. I have no work in the sale. I've chosen to show my work at the farmers' market this weekend instead.

Foodwise I have no real plan for lunch or dinner, so I need to take a minute before I get involved in my work again, or before I get so hungry I eat *whatever* in *whatever* amount I feel like. I officially weighin tomorrow so I want to be conservative in my food choices today. I weighed in with the wii fit to see a 2.2lb gain to 257something. It's all sodium as we had corned beef yesterday. So, nothing like that today if I want a good result tomorrow. I need to drink a lot of water today too.

That's it. Time to get back to it or something like it.
Enjoy your day.

BillBlueEyes
05-03-2012, 06:01 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was OK, CREDIT moi, except for snacks, Ouch. Enjoyed my trip to the gym, CREDIT moi. Walked there despite threat of rain.

Spent too much time figuring out how to remove the stopper so I could clear out the drain of our new sink. Seems there are two ways to install a sink: normal for homeowners that makes it easy to clean the drain, and secure for institutions so that you have to go beneath the sink to unscrew some plumbing in order to remove the stopper. We got the institutional installation. For six months we've enjoyed the security that house guests were not able to steal our sink stopper. Yay for this being my worst problem of the day, LOL.

onebyone – This will be my new motto, "Time to get back to it or something like it." Sorta covers the waterfront, LOL.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for "Beck Diet Solution at work" - including calling ahead to determine organic veggie availability. As an Alaskan, do you intend to exercise your right to install a fish wheel? For a steady supply of fresh salmon. I'm drooling at the thought.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Unbelievable. I peeked and I can get myself a pair of True Religions for only $319. That would motivate me to control my snacks, LOL.

At the Restaurant
Assess your food. Are vegetables glistening, even though you requested no butter or oil? Do veggies or starches taste richer than they do at home? If so, assume your special request was not granted, don't hesitate to send food back to the kitchen.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 147.

Tazzy
05-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Hello Everyone :wave:

Finally feeling like I can breathe and get control of things again. With the anniversary party over and my desk at work pretty up to date I'm feeling more in control. Just finished my lunch of tuna lettuce wraps with raw veggies and it was very enjoyable.

Weighed and still maintaining around the same number. I've upped my exercise and did Zumba on Tuesday and last night after dinner felt like walking, used the treadmill as it was raining outside and found that by watching TV at the same time the minutes just flew by. It's sunny today, hoping it stays that way until after work and I'd really like to get out on my bike tonight.

I was thinking that I needed to figure out how to get more tracking done and in the shower this morning I had an "aha" moment. I have weeks of food plans that I followed over the last 8 months, I'm going to go back and see where my good loses were and recycle those plans. It always surprises me when I get good ideas standing under a stream of water!

fyreflie24 Yay for skinny jeans. When BBE mentioned the price for True Religion I thought I'd have to wear them everyday.

onebyone Good job on your to-do list and good luck on all your Key West plans.

Hi to Lexxiss, Gardenerjoy, Maryann, Hiker Girl, Catholic Cajun and anyone else lurking.

pamatga Miss your thoughts and wisdom here, hope things are going well. :hug:

fyreflie24
05-03-2012, 07:33 PM
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals/258077-75-way-there.html

Most recent pix :)
d.

gardenerjoy
05-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Big leap in weight. I guess I'm going to have to accept that Jimmy John's is not an acceptable alternative to my normal lunch. Wishful thinking, there.

WI: +0.55 kgs, Exercise: +60 110/1400 minutes for May, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Great pix, Donamari!

BillBlueEyes
05-04-2012, 05:08 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Simple day. Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Walk, CREDIT moi, included a trip to the library.

Which resulted in starting to read an awful book, Girl on Fire, the second of the trilogy of The Hunger Games. I'm reading it because my DD read it and suggested that I would like it. I'm not so fond of teenagers killing each other and suffering under totalitarianism. And it's hard to identify with the great angst whether to kiss or not to kiss (Young Adult book). Fortunately, it's a rapid read so I won't burn a lot of time. It's hard to be in suspense weather the heroine is going to live when you know there's a third book in the series.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – hmmmmm ... Perhaps you have a point. A Jimmy John's Ultimate Poker sub is 734 calories and 1823 mg sodium. BBQ Chips adds 160 calories and 90 mg sodium. Two Raisin Oatmeal Cookies (who stops at one?) adds 840 cal and 940 mg. And a large coke add 396 cals and 24 mg. Would save the need to have dinner, LOL.

Tazzy - Sounds like a high class diet book, "tuna lettuce wraps with raw veggies." Yay for shower moments.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Congrats on 75% - neat pictures.

At the Restaurant
Portion off the extra. Before you take your first bite, separate the portion you are supposed to eat from the rest of the food on your plate. Estimate the size of your portion on the low side; there are likely to be some hidden calories in your food.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 148.

Cammie-Cam
05-04-2012, 06:07 AM
Hi everyone! I'm still here, but the struggle continues. I just can't seem to get a grip on my eating. I've got my book, I've got my index cards and sticky notes, I've got everything I need, but I haven't been able to read the book, to implement it, to change anything. I'm so ashamed that I came in here all gung-ho, but still haven't been able to make the changes I've been wanting to make. I'm hoping it will happen in time, every day I seek to figure out what's wrong so I can move in a more productive direction, but seem to be coming up empty.

The semester is winding down, but I just enrolled in a summer class, so who knows what will happen.

In any case, I'm embarrassed, but I thought I'd at least check in so you would know that I didn't just disappear. I did get a change to read up until making the ARC's, so I'm going to do those today and move forward with the book.

I wish you all the best, everyone seems to be doing so well with Beck. I hope to get there in time.

fyreflie24
05-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Cammie: let it go honey. Every day is a new opportunity, a new start. Actually, each moment is a new start... just keep working on restarting and restarting and restarting... and it will take hold. Drop the shame, it's just going to hurt your heart. It's a hard process! We all stumble, we all fall, but it's the getting back up that makes the difference!

Sending you much love.

Lexxiss
05-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Hi Coaches/Friends!

Everyday, it seems, I resist the urge to eat donuts, as pressures mount and our trip gets nearer. credit So far, so good. Beck tools are at work. Yesterday, I went ahead and made a SF/LF choc. cake which we could enjoy after dinner. Today when DH was being a total grump, I took myself to lunch and ordered healthy. I was hungry...he needed to eat, too, but I figured it was best to take care of my emotional needs, too. credit for weighing everyday. The scale is just amazingly cooperative for me right now.

BillBlueEyes, yay for a "simple day". Me, not much patience for those books you are reading...yippee for getting them at the library instead of increasing your stash. BTW-No fish wheel but I plan to wheel and deal for free fish for sure! Tis' the season!

Cammie-Cam, hang in there! I find wisdom from the books really helps and when I'm just swimming in busy I'll just open to a page random....and take 2 or 3 minutes to read it. My life is continually crazy and I had to let go of my "perfectionism" and find ways to do the best I can.

Donamarie, yay for 75% and guts for pictures! Wise words to Cammie-Cam this morning! Thx, it helps us all.

gardenerjoy, will remember to avoid Jimmy Johns! Chinese buffet always knocks me up 5, and although I know I didn't eat that much, I figure food that creates that much bloat just can't be good for me.lol

Tazzy, great figuring how great those 8 months of meal plans can be! Mine are both in a formal notebook, and now I write a daily note which goes on the fridge.

onebyone, hoping your potters guild stuff went well! Your first farmers market....sending you stress free vibes and wonderful weather!

gardenerjoy
05-05-2012, 12:29 AM
I ate on plan, wrote, and exercised. It's good to be reminded that it's possible to do all three in one day.

WI: +0.25 kgs, Exercise: +55 165/1400 minutes for May, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I have been practicing SOME of my Beck skills at Jimmy John's. Just say "no" to cookies and chips and soda. But now you've forced me to look up the sandwich I was eating: The Beach Club (turkey, cheese, guac, lots of veggies for a sandwich) easy on the mayo and on wheat rather than the default french bread -- 700 calories which explains why that hasn't been working for me. DH gets the same sandwich on french bread, but only eats half and saves the rest for the next day. A much better plan, but I don't like leftover sandwich and have a hard time convincing myself that half a sandwich is enough for lunch even when it clearly is. So, he can have Jimmy John's -- I'll stick to my regular homemade lunch.

Cammie-Cam: you're exactly where you're supposed to be at this stage. Just keep going forward in the book and keep posting. That's all you need to do for now. As you've clearly guessed, it takes time.

Beverlyjoy
05-05-2012, 05:21 AM
Hi folks.... I am checking in. I had a good long visit with my sister in California. She's not doing very well even having four back surgeries. It was good that we had such a nice long visit. However, it's hard to see a loved one in such constant pain.

I saw my new granddaugher for just a day and I will be going back to visit again next week. We have a wedding today to attend. On Monday, will be the funeral of our Aunt, who is the Grandma of today's groom. Many emotions with happy and sad feelings,

I have gained some weight back. I know that I don't need to wait until Monday to start making healthy choices.

I got a new computer, Goodbye to my laptop- RIP. A real goodbye to my desk top that I used for emails in the meantime. My desk top computer is 10 years old. That's like 'dog years' in terms of technology. There have been many days of not having internet access - however, recently it has come down to willingness to post when struggling. I know that we've all had our struggles with food and need not stay away out of shame or not willing to reach out.

So - I have my Beck 'stuff' and my journal and will take it one day at a time. It's time to learn from the past, plan for the future... but, take it one day at a time.

Thanks for listening.

‎'Do not wait until the conditions are perfect to begin.
Beginning makes the conditions perfect.'
- Alan Cohen

BillBlueEyes
05-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Made it to the gym, CREDIT moi, to discover that my gym has been sold to another company. My membership must simply transfer since my card swiped in. It's classic of my place that there's no announcement; the personal trainers just wear t-shirts of a different color with the new name.

At a dinner at a hotel - one of those big catered affairs where the food is as expensive as it is mediocre - I skipped the yummy rolls, CREDIT moi, feeling quite self righteous. Then had the puff pastry dessert that had all the excellence of a supermarket packaged affair - Ouch. I didn't order dessert, it just appeared on my left as my plate was being removed on my right. I get seduced when several tuxedoed servers hover over me at once, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for a hat trick day. I'm in that club that doesn't do half a sandwich well.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for recognizing that the pressures of preparing for your trip can trigger the desire to eat, and Kudos for then standing those down. [Smiling at the thought of you wheeling and dealing for free fish.]

Beverlyjoy – Sending supportive thoughts for you and your sister as well as for the occasion of attending a wedding and a funeral in the same family so close together. Kudos for knowing that you don't have to wait until Monday to get back on track.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Waving back; hope you're getting some good bicycle weather.

Cammie (Cammie-Cam) – Kudos just for showing up - the biggest step. Yep, if you keep pecking away at it, you'll get where you want to go. Making the Advantages Response Card is a BIG, BIG step; glad to hear that you're on your way there. Good luck finishing your semester. Do you have final papers due to create pressure?

At the Restaurant
Eat slowly and enjoy every bite. This practice is especially important if you are dining with companions. If you are the last person to finish eating, you will be much less tempted to eat more. Make sure to really savor your food.

Lexxiss
05-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Hi Coaches/Friends!

BBE, ouch for a supermarket-like dessert at a spendy affair! The least they could have done was make it splurge-worthy!

Beverlyjoy, welcome home as you arrive to both happy and sad. Kudos for recognizing there's no time like the present for eating healthy.

gardenerjoy, yay for a 3 in 1 day!

I made it through another day of work, and had a legitimate taste of one of our offering. Two bits of good news; one it was delicious, and two I haven't needed to taste it in 6-1/2 mos. of work. I used to eat that stuff any time I could. Weight stays stable. We have a dinner w/mom tonight. Remembering last year, I'll take my own salad and dessert since the cole-slaw was oozy and the apple pie mediocre. Fortunately, at the Elks they really don't care if I switch stuff around a bit.

Tomorrow is a long day...we travel to Glenwood to drop off the pup and pick up our fellow Alaska traveler. Good news is a dip at the hot springs.

:wave: everyone!

BillBlueEyes
05-06-2012, 05:39 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walking, CREDIT moi, was again looking to see which warblers had arrived. Few are here yet; common wisdom is that they're waiting for a good southern wind to carry them along. Hope they make it before the bugs have eaten all the trees. It's a delicate balance - everybody's gotta play their role.

Food was good enough, CREDIT moi. I chose to forgo my beloved peanut butter, banana, and pecans on toasted whole wheat bread at lunch for a piece of chicken that I'd left on my plate a few nights ago. The joy of leaving food is lessened if I then let it mold in the fridge until DW tosses it. I do like making my contribution to getting the left overs out of the fridge.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Picking up your fellow Alaskan traveler makes your trip sound real. You've got a knack as an anti-food writer, "cole-slaw was oozy and the apple pie mediocre" - makes me want to avoid mediocre pie forever as I associate it with oozy.

At the Restaurant
When you dine out, you are practicing multiple skills at once. You're learning how to stand firm in the face of temptation, how to be assertive, and how to waste food. It's normal to make mistakes at first. Fill out a Cheat Sheet and use each mistake as a chance to improve your subsequent experiences. Remind yourself that the more you practice these skills, the easier restaurant eating will get.

Lexxiss
05-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Hi Coaches/Friends!

BBE, ah, the mention of my newfound favorite sandwich. I would not have wanted to trade out and would have frozen the chicken to use in a soup later on. GJ getting designing a valid reason to get out for a walk.

Just a quick check in-we've been to the pool and have 20 min. before we leave to drop the dog off, my least favorite part of the trip. My food, too, has been "good enough" and I've once again resisted many times. Notably, I decided to stop at the convenience store later-with DH-to pick up what he wanted...recognizing I might be setting myself up by being alone in the store with Aspen's gourmet goodies instead of the run of the mill grease-ball generic donuts which are sold at all the Denver stores.

Gotta run...checking in does help me keep focus. Thanks, everyone, for being here!

TamTam
05-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Hello all. A quick check in before the dryer goes off! Cannot believe it's May already, where does the time go? I was more of a grazer eater yesterday, we were busy and never really had time to sit and eat a complete meal, so just grabbed a bite here and there, I do not like to do that too hard to keep track of hunger and fullness since you don't get to sense either one of them because you are running around, BUT, in retail, that is a good problem to have. Have a blessed day. Tammy

Tazzy
05-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Hi Everyone!

Weekend has been okay, decided today to go back to calorie counting. Debated WW yesterday but remembered struggling with the new plan last year and don't want to give myself a built-in excuse. Looked back at my tracking from last summer and will revisit using some of those daily plans. Also going to add some carbs back in slowly to get the calories higher. It will continue to be a work in progress.

Had a NSV yesterday when shopping for a new spring coat, got a smaller size and best of all a 50% discount off the already lower price, paid $24.99, very happy about that.

Need to go and prep some veggies to roast on the BBQ for dinner with a nice steak. Hope everyone had a nice weekend. :wave:

BillBlueEyes
05-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walking (CREDIT moi) in just-right weather is such a joy. I even bumped into a friend who accompanied me for a quarter mile while our paths overlapped and swapped stories. This wouldn't happen in lousy weather when we'd each be huddled to ourselves.

Food continues as before. I wish I would choose to get snacks back into their proper place. It became necessary for me to either make dinner last night or go out so I chose a frozen entree from Trader Joe's that was surprisingly healthy. I don't like restaurants when we're both tired and only out because we don't have time to cook.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Hope you avoided "Aspen's gourmet goodies" - there seems no end to the variety of ways to combine fat, salt, and sugar.

Tazzy - Yay for buying clothes - not my favorite activity. Yay for getting a coat you like. Double Yay for getting it half off its reduced price. When I'm forced to shop, that's the kind of thing that would help me survive.

CatholicCajun – Yay for being too busy to sit down to eat when that means continuous customers. Ouch for grazing - some of us can consume a double meal when doing that.

Memory Box Cards
When you have meaningful restaurant experiences, write cards for your Memory Box. For example, this is a card Kim wrote:Memory Card
I've been trying to get over my embarrassment of
bringing my own salad dressing with me to a restau-
rant. Yesterday when I went out to eat with Vanessa,
I finally brought the dressing. I thought she would
be critical of me, but instead she thought it was a
great idea.

Daimere
05-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Hello! I had to take a few months off because I was really busy. Although I've maintained between 245-248 which is great for me! When I wake up, I re-dedicating myself to Beck rules, reading my cards, and eating well. I precooked some chicken to eat this week and gave my husband a list of foods I'd like (I hope he delivers!) Kudos to me for planning!

fyreflie24
05-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Hey Beckies!

So... hubby took me bathing suit shopping yesterday. I have three suits, a pair of pants, a pareo and a really cool hat. I'm trying to get my head around the fact that I have to wear this stuff in public! My lower body is still no where near where I'd like it to be but I guess this accept myself for where I am, appreciate how far I've come and keep going forward. BIG FREAKEDOUT SIGH! LOL :)

Did I mention I haven't bought a suit in 16 years? Did I also mention I haven't purchased one in probably that same time frame?

BillBlueEyes
05-08-2012, 07:01 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Food was good enough, CREDIT moi, but not fully on plan. Evening snack was easy since we were out doing some weeding of invasive plants and didn't get home for dinner until tired. Tired didn't make me more hungry, just desirous of getting to bed.

Gym was gym, CREDIT moi. The new name of our gym, BLAST, sounds like a children's cereal rather than a serious place for exercise. The trainers and staff wear bright orange t-shirts with "I can HELP you" on the back. Haven't checked to see if that really means they'll show me how to use a piece of equipment or check my form when I'm doing an exercise.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Monster Kudos for "accept myself for where I am, appreciate how far I've come and keep going forward" - don't we all need to get there. Hope you find yourself so thoroughly enjoying the warm Atlantic Ocean that you forget about your body.

Daimere – Oh Yes, Kudos for planning - the single most important Beck strategy for me. Good for getting back on your Beck path. By-the-by, I just thought of you the day before yesterday when this post arrived on 3FC: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/258511-hooping.html

Special Advice for Buffet Restaurants

As you go along, choose progressively more challenging types of restaurants or cuisines and, if at all possible, save the most challenging of all - buffets and cafeteria-style restaurants - for your last challenge. Buffets are particularly problematic because of the wide variety of foods offered. It's tempting to put small amounts of lots of different foods on your plate, but these small amounts usually add up to many more calories than your plan budgets for. And dieters often find that many small tastes leave them feeling less satisfied than larger portions of fewer foods.

Lexxiss
05-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Hi Coaches/Friends!

Busy here, but I've noticed several things, which reflect back to my focusing on my Beck skills. Foodwise, I've just really concentrated on making the best choices possible this past week. Gone are the "vacation" sabotaging thoughts, especially, "food doesn't matter right now because I'm going on vacation". credit. Emotionally, I'm really noticing that alot of my former triggers are either gone or greatly diminished. Regarding my physical environment, my continual push to stay organized and keep reducing my clutter has manifested in a calm and peaceful attitude this morning. I need to pack my bags tonight but the house is clean, the laundry is done and the paperwork is organized. It's a moment where I get to experience just how my physical space affects my food choices in a positive way.

Interestingly, I weighed this morning fully dressed and after much coffee. I would expect up (and it was) but was ok. I have a food plan, too. credit.

BBE, yay when "activity" then rest is more important than food.

Donamarie, congrats on the swimsuit step and kudos for your Beck/yoga acceptance.

Donamarie, welcome back. Kudos for maintaining your losses.

Gotta run...DH is making smoothies downstairs. We're buying a second vitamix at costco in Anchorage...it's the one thing I won't live without anymore.

Daimere
05-08-2012, 10:53 AM
BillBlueEyes-Thank you for pointing me to that thread. Time for me to gush over to them.

And I've exercised my bare minumum (30 minutes in the hoop). I've been successfull on eating sitting down and well 95% of the day. Yay! I also tracked. Yay! Unfortunately I broke my blender today. Which is sad because I was looking forward to it plus that's the only way I can get fruits in. I hate fruits. So I make green smoothies for myself after work. I don't even know when I'll be able to get a new one. :(

fyreflie24
05-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Daimere: Sorry about the blender! I live by mine too.

Bill: I'm trying man, I'm trying. It's not that easy though :)

Lexxiss: Thanks! Congrats on great life changes!

Daimere
05-08-2012, 09:56 PM
I have a favor everyone. I'm in a contest called Hooping Idol. If you could/don't mind/etc, feel free to vote for me at http://www.hooping.org/2012/05/hooping-idol-2-slow-jams-week/. I'm number five. My song was "Beautiful" and I think it's my best video to date. I'm in the top 10 which is an amazing. Three people will be eliminated this round.

I've batch cooked some more chicken and prepared my healthy food for work. I'm ready to rock this night! Tomorrow is my 12 hour shift (now my workplace is forcing overtime without regard to schedule). Although I've been bring my own creamer and splenda to work to put in my coffee. I figure some good creamer + splenda is better than 5 things of creamer and 5 packets of sugar in my usual cups!

gardenerjoy
05-08-2012, 10:59 PM
I over-snacked today. Pre-vacation jitters, but I have a few more weeks before we leave so I want to get a handle on this.

WI: -0.6 kgs, Exercise: +35 335/1400 minutes for May, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Yay, fyreflie24, for buying swimsuits! I'm sure you look great! I still don't like how I look in a skirt -- so I wear slacks. For me, swimsuits are just what I wear when it's appropriate to wear a swimsuit. It's never been or going to be my greatest moment in fashion. But I have had some of my most fun and relaxed moments in life wearing swimsuits so I'll keep doing it.

Thanks, Lexxiss, on your pre-vacation reporting. Since I'm gearing up as well, this is very helpful to me -- I'll follow your example to stick with my Beck strategies.

Welcome back, Daimere -- I also think of you every time I see a hula hoop! Love the video -- so graceful!

BillBlueEyes
05-09-2012, 05:23 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another good enough day, CREDIT moi. Evening snack was in line even though I didn't go out - a good step in controlling that one. Made some progress reading Black Swan, a book espousing the notion that random things happen. It's easy to get sucked in just to be annoyed at the author who is proud that he didn't allow his work to be edited - which makes me grateful for all the books I've read that did have editors.

Am off this morning to see if the warblers are here yet.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the reminder that preparing for vacation is not an excuse to go off plan. Vacations always remind me that no item of clothing is perfect for all occasions, that I can't carry everything I own with me, and that I don't own all variations of all items anyway.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Such a joy to read, "a lot of my former triggers are either gone or greatly diminished" - may we all get there.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Sending body acceptance pixie dust your way.

Daimere – Ouch for the broken blender - may a new one come into your life soon. (Around here, they're a frequent item at yard sales - but not necessarily when you need one, LOL.) Voted for your Hooping Idol video; I liked your graceful moves between the hooping.

When you practice the art of buffet eating, do the following:

Stick to your usual plan (as you would for any restaurant).
Decide whether you will use Bonus Calories for this meal.
Remind yourself that trying to "get your money's worth" will cost you a lot in terms of gaining weight and strengthening your giving-in muscle. Isn't the goal of getting thinner, with all its accompanying advantages, much more important?. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 149.

Daimere
05-09-2012, 09:09 AM
BillBlueEyes- I went ahead and took the money I'm saving for a group fitness certification to get a $30 blender that's almost double the wattage as the other one. Maybe this one will work.

I still haven't read my cards. I ate two pieces of birthday cake but they are within my calorie range. I'm about to hoop for 10 more minutes to make my 30 minute bare minimum. I did 20 minutes of hooping on my lunch break. Bonked my face and have a swollen lip.

I just passed my BodyHoops FitKids test. So I guess that means I'm officially certified to teach kids hooping (not that it's completely necessary). I'll probably get my food ready before I sleep.

Tazzy
05-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Hello Everyone!

Food has been okay, DH and I ended up having a snack-fest of graham wafers last night after my zumba class, guess the good thing was there was only 1/2 a package in the box :o.

Zumba was good but it's back to the time of year when the community centre gets really hot in the evenings, so hot zumba again! Really makes me sweat.

I have been writing down my food but not tracking the calories. Weight is remaining the same. I got my old WW supplies back from my mom so will consider following that for awhile as well.

Back to the mountain of work on my desk. Hope everyone is well!

BillBlueEyes
05-10-2012, 04:44 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did gym, CREDIT moi, noting that the new owner has a sign suggesting courtesy. There's a nearby gym that has a "no swearing or grunting" policy - so as not to disturb the fine people who might be offended by macho behavior. Since that seemed to focus the macho types into my gym, it will be fun to watch the new owner's policy enforced, LOL.

Food was good enough, CREDIT moi.

Tazzy - Yay for having so few graham crackers that snacking stopped before it was a problem. That's one of my problems with Costco; the HUGE sizes gives me the opportunity to massively overeat. I'm better off without a four pound bag of almonds in the pantry.

Daimere – It'd be terrific to have a side business of teaching kids to hoop. Ouch for the two pieces of birthday cake - it tweaks my head when I do things like that.

. . .
Walk around the buffet before putting anything on your plate, reminding yourself of your pre-planned options.
As you plate your food, give yourself credit for choosing foods that are on your plan.
If your choices are glistening with butter or oil or are covered in a sauce, take a smaller portion than you would if you'd prepared the dish at home and scrape off as much of the sauce as you can.. . .

Daimere
05-10-2012, 09:14 AM
I'd say I've been 75% okay with not eating standing up. I did great at work. I just had two cups of coffee. I felt great most the night. I was going strong. I charted everything before I ate it to make sure I stayed on plan. Although my husband made me a pot roast last night for this morning. I found out I lost Hooping Idol and grabbed me some even though I planned only cereal. I know it's emotional eating but I feel like I have control of it. Kudos to me for not getting a second helping though! I know I sure do wish I had that birthday cake now (which is 100% emotional eating). I did 10 minutes of hooping which is the bare-bare minimum. Not sure if I can jump into anything right now. I'm slight emotional.

BillBlueEyes- My five year goal is to have my own little studio teaching 'offbeat' fitness like hooping, poi, aerials, whatever. Next week I'm going to take a Hoopnotica teacher training. One is a fitness hooping training which I heard is killer!

onebyone
05-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Hi Becksters/Coaches

I'm feeling pretty good today. I just got back from my WW weigh-in and saw a drop to my lowest weight to date: 255.8 My personal goal is to be 249.4 by the end of the month and I think that is do-able if I stay focused. Thankfully, the Big Push to reach all manner of deadline has now passed. I have only two "events" this weekend: trying out farmers' market #2 and attending the opening ceremonies where they unveil my large woodblock print at the Hillary House historical site, in the same town as the farmers' market where I will be vending.

I've attached an image of my print. It's 24" wide by 48" tall. The background is a large reproduction of a collections notice sent by Dr. Hillary to Mrs. Holliday on December 1, 1916. She owed him $5. There is a handwritten notation showing he accepted 2 baskets pears for a value of $2 towards her bill. I decided she had an agricultural accident where she fell and fractured her pinky, (I show this across the top of the print; the fall and the xray of the broken finger) which according to a 1914 pricelist cost $5 to treat, without anaesthetic ($10 with). (He's treating her in the center of the print). And then I found a 1915 Ladies of the Red Cross cookbook with a stained page that had a recipe for various marmalades including pear marmalade. I wrote out the recipe on the print. The bottom of the print shows the pears in bushel baskets and the marmalade being served at the breakfast table, with a pinky held high.

The town mayor will be saying a few words at 2pm and my market is over at 1, so I hope to pack up VERY FAST and make it to meet the mayor and to see my piece all hung and lit up, along with the work created by my 5 fellow artists. I am just dying to see what they came up with.

Foodwise, I felt myself struggling this past week but I put the brakes on by acknowledging I was in a "I want to eat a lot of food" mood, so I made soup, from scratch, and that has done the trick for me yet again. I swear it is one of my best strategies for getting past those feelings for me.

I'm thrilled to start a new week and to set my sights on being under 250. It wasn't that long ago I was terrified of being over 300. I am grateful for everything today let me tell you.

Daimere Just the names of the Hooping things makes me want to do it, esp. Hoopnotica! Sounds great. I congratulate you for pursuing the Hooping Idol award. Really, I am so happy to read you are living your life, going after your dreams and doing the things you love and NOT waiting "until you are thin". Excellent. And credit for your successes regarding not eating standing up and not having seconds. You are doing great! Hoopray!!!

BillBlueEyes The best part of going to a gym for me is to hear men grunting and groaning. *I love that*, but I guess this says a lot about me eh? *ahem* I attended a meeting last night at our local city hall and met the mayor, which was very fun for me. Go figure. The meeting was about being "a character community" as our town "officially" is this. There's a website for it (http://charactercommunity.com/index.cfm?pagepath=Who_We_Are/Our_Attributes&id=33747). Courtesy is not one of the characteristics of character communities though. Your new sign at the gym reminded me of all that so I thought I'd share.

Lexxiss
05-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Hi Coaches! We made it to our home last eve....very tired. We have some very basic needs to take care of today, some affect my making good food choices. Our tenant got a "new" used refrigerator which needs a cleanout before I can stock food. I bought a vitamix in Anchorage yesterday but organic veggies are sparse...I've already checked the store this morning. First successful resistance this morning...DH wanted to go out for breakfast and I suggested an alternate/healthier plan.

gardenerjoy
05-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Credit for ordering well at lunch at a tapas restaurant. Credit for catching up on a paperwork task that I'd been putting off for a couple of months.

WI: +0.6 kgs, Exercise: +65 440/1400 minutes for May, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: love the print. It reminds me of some volunteer work I've done in an archive that has nineteenth century materials -- it has that mood about it.

BillBlueEyes
05-11-2012, 05:09 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was emptying the storage unit rented "temporarily" for the three months of our repainting last summer, but not completely emptied when we got done. Had to move 49 boxes sized 1'x1'x2' from the unit via my station wagon to the third floor. Many were heavily loaded with books. The thought of the task had caused me to dally long, long after it was time to act. The break through happened when my DW suggested that I hire a helper who did more of the heavy work than I did. CREDIT moi for the exercise, for getting it done, and (BIG one) for ceasing to pay for the unit.

Food was good enough, CREDIT moi. Today's the day I tick my monthly signature counter for staying my path, CREDIT moi.

onebyone – Congrats on that new low scale reading; may it just continue to dribble downward. Love the print with its full story which I hope you get to attach so that folks can fully appreciate that all the scenes are stitched together. [Thanks for the link; perhaps Canadians don't need to be reminded of courtesy.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Tapas has the same siren call as buffets; Kudos for ordering well.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Typing loudly so you'll be able to read this all the way up there in Alaska. Kudos for standing down the call to go out for breakfast already.

Daimere – Yep Kudos for not taking seconds of that pot roast. I'm a sucker for pot roast - before my journey I'd regularly have seconds and thirds. Neat notion of having your own studio. Is there an option to go to schools to teach hooping to kids? Little kids hooping is one of the neatest sights ever.

. . .
Wait until you sit down to eat your first bite of food. It's easy to eat hundreds of calories while you're still in the buffet line; food eaten this way won't satisfy you enough, will reinforce an unhelpful habit, and will leave you with less food to eat once you sit down.
Don't go back for seconds. If you feel tempted, read your Response Cards and use Resistance Techniques.

Daimere
05-11-2012, 10:20 AM
My husband and I went out to the mongolian grill today for his birthday/cheer me up. I love going to that place because I can make whatever I eat as healthy as I want. I loaded my bowl with veggies, added healthy lean meats and moderated the brown rice. I think I ate less than 1000 calories while eating out! I didn't exercise much. Just the bare 10 minute minimum. Eating sitting down was pretty 99% today. Woot. I also woke up early and did some slight gardening.

Just the names of the Hooping things makes me want to do it, esp. Hoopnotica! Sounds great. I congratulate you for pursuing the Hooping Idol award. Really, I am so happy to read you are living your life, going after your dreams and doing the things you love and NOT waiting "until you are thin". Excellent. And credit for your successes regarding not eating standing up and not having seconds. You are doing great! Hoopray!!!
That has been one of the very few things anyone has said that has made me feel better and proud! Thank you so much!

BillBlueEyes- I think that you have to be certified or something. I'm not sure. I'm going to try that route after I get my PT or group fitness certification. Although a month ago I helped at the YMCA afterschool programs and taught hooping. It was definitively a learning process!

maryann
05-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Good Morning, Coaches.

I realize It has been a few weeks since I have checked in. I asked myself sporadically what that was about. Didn't come up with any great answer. Lots has happened around the house. I have finished the work for the semester for my MFA in writing. I am set to leave for Vermont's residency in June. i will visit Arcadia NAtional park over the 4th of July weekend. I was denied sabbatical because the school district is broke but my boss came up with a job training teachers which might give me the break I need. Food has not been good. Thankfully I have only gained 3 pounds during all the emotional times facing all the changes.
DH and DS have not changed.They are still terrific. I feel I am back to square one with food but that is just a feeling, not a fact. Square one is over 200 pounds. So credit for that and i am moving on.

gardenerjoy
05-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Tomorrow's my 50th birthday. I plan to celebrate by writing up a post for the Goal! thread here at 3FC.

BillBlueEyes
05-12-2012, 06:32 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was close enough to plan, CREDIT moi. I'm still having trouble with snacks; meals are stellar. Dinner included roasted squash with onions, cranberries, and sage - a favorite. The single advantage of having read all three volumes of the Hunger Games is that each fresh vegetable feels like a major treat.

Did gym, CREDIT moi, without even noticing that the guy next to me was using smaller weights than I was. Nor that he was younger and in better condition overall. Yep, I don't do comparisons, me.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Happy 50th Birthday. May you have 50 more and 50 more after that. The library had a copy of a new biography of Richard Feynman - a hardback written as colored comics. I'd not seem that before. It's well done, although the info conveyed is limited since there are so few words on a page. Is this what's required to get young adults into non-fiction books these days?

maryann - Yay for a boss who helps to figure out how to give you a break and still keep you onboard - clearly your services are valued. Kudos for avoiding fallacious catastropic thinking and choosing "I am moving on."

Daimere – Kudos for that 99% sitting down. It's such a surprise to discover that we don't already do that. I love Mongolian grill for just the reason you point out - I feel that I've made it so mine. I particularly enjoy watching the difference in orders by young teen couples when the large guy orders a mound - mostly red meat - and the petite female orders a small stack of veggies. Seems right.

Special Advice for Ordering In
Follow the same guidelines for take-out foods as you would for eating out. Don't be afraid to speak up if your entire family or the friends you have over want to order food that doesn't correspond to your plan. Feel entitled to order what is on your plan.

Daimere
05-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Joy-Happy birthday!
BillBlueEyes-My husband's was basically a big hunk of meat! I used the shittake mushroom sauce which is like 45 calories (couldn't find the lite soy) for my dinner. I don't know if my husband realizes this but it's my newest favorite restaurant. And I think it's pretty affordable. It was $35 with tip.

I did pretty well eating wise today, with 90% sit down success. I think for me the biggest reason the sit down thing is important is to prevent bites/noms while preparing food or mindlessly eating in front of the fridge. Although the 10% was already in my calorie allotment. It's not like I was scarfing in front of the TV. I tried to do a barre DVD that I never used before and didn't like it. I wound up hooping through a quarter of it. But at least I tried! I also did a PM yoga 10 minute video. I might have to try their AM 10 minute yoga video tonight.

I was interviewed for another hoop website and it went live this morning: http://www.hoopalooza.com/2012/05/hooper-interview-shannon-herrington/
Yay me!

gardenerjoy
05-12-2012, 11:37 AM
My story is up in the Goal! thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/goal/258888-fifty-feeling-fabulous.html#post4330729

maryann
05-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Good Morning, Coaches.

Hi and Low for today.
Hi - I just bought my own Nutrimill to start grinding a bag of wheat my farmer husband is bringing home. Just another step to eating in a more healthy fashion.
Low: Scale up two pounds from Chili Cheese Mac recipe at last nites dinner. Cooking Light recipe but I had wayyyy too much of it.

I just read Gardenerjoy's article of 50 and fab. Terrific to hear a recap of her story. I will be 50 in two years and am also glad I started this journey early to be able to celebrate that milestone.

Artemis__
05-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Hi Coaches and Friends.
I'm new-ish here (I've posted previously on the Beck thread quite a while ago).
I've finally decided to commit to Beck as I must lose weight and I've been flip flopping around with no commitment or real enthusiasm for about 10 years. Lost some on WW in 2003, since then it's just been a few pounds off, then lose momentum and eat my way back up even higher.
I'm not sure what I weigh now, but I know it's around my highest ever. Will weigh tomorrow, which is going to be my Beck Day 1.
I'm also starting my eating plan tomorrow, I know she says to wait for Day 15, but I am ready to start now.

Ok well that's enough about for me now, I look forward to getting to know you all on the boards. Happy Birthday to gardenerjoy, I already posted on your Goal thread :)

Just a quick question, I have the two pink books, the Solution and the Workbook. My plan was to work through one for the next 6 weeks, then start the other and do a further 6 weeks filling out the charts and notes etc. I'm just not sure which one to start with first. Any advice? Oh and should I get the green book or do I only need that if I want to follow the diet in it?

onebyone
05-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Coaches

Attended my second farmers' market today, a different one from last week, now I need to choose between the two, but I am pretty sure today's venue is the one for me. I am choosing not based on how much I made, as I made less than 1/3 of what I made last weekend, but on how often I laughed. Laughter is a commodity that I do not have nearly enough of. Last week's market brought me, I'm not kidding, zero chuckles. Today I had a few hearty guffaws even while setting up, so I choose today's market venue.

Foodwise wowsa I need to be careful, as usual, at the farmers' market. Tables and tables of all manner of baked goods, all enticing, plus a local sausage maker (landjaegger sausages a personal favorite--they had them. Yikes.), and my booth will be pretty much in the food court area. Well, to be honest the foodcourt is everywhere there. No escaping it. I did well with a few sausages and coffee, but indulged at my special event, the opening of the historical home where my work is being shown all summer. They had cake, cookies, cheese, pop. I had all but the pop. Then on the way home they were having charity bbq's at a foodshop so we had some of that and now it's almost past dinnertime and we haven't eaten. I'm ok with all this as I know I am done my transition period now. I am settled into my "this is what I am doing to make money" life and that's that. It is a HUGE relief.

Artemis__ Welcome! I know how it feels to be at a top weight and to cycle through the same 10lbs. Beck will help. As for which book, I used the workbook and just committed to it. Others like the green book, and the pink book too. You just need to start and keep going, that's all. There is no one right way. There is just your way, the way that will work for you. It may take some time so I am glad you are ready to start!

maryann I too relate to the age 50 milestone. I am 50 next year, after my 49th birthday still to come this year, so I guess that's 2 years, but you know, it's breathing down my neck! Congrats btw on getting your MFA writing done. What a great accomplishment.

gardenerjoy :bday2you: Happy Birthday to a cherished Beck friend!

:celebrate: what a thrill it must be to post an "I made it to Goal" post on your 50th birthday no less. As a librarian, and a lover of books and stories, I am sure you can appreciate your own character arc here. How great. KUDOS.:hug::bravo:

Daimere Hoopalooza?! :dancer:Those hooping names are killing me over here! I have not been great about sitting down to eat this past week. I have done a lot of eating my meal at the stove. Oh well. Thanks for the reminder. I need to step up my Beck game.

BillBlueEyes This is the book I want you to read, and then I want a full report. http://www.amazon.ca/Persepolis-Story-Childhood-Marjane-Satrapi/dp/037571457X Kudos for making it through the Hunger Games. Equal kudos for getting to the gym, having a good meal and appreciating the vegetables on offer. The snacks? Oh well. They'll fall in line.

I'm going to veg out now. See yous guys tomorrow.

BillBlueEyes
05-13-2012, 06:37 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was out walking (CREDIT moi) where we saw some Common Terns diving for fish and flying in courtship formations. Spotted a Willet in the shore grasses - an unexpected place - to made the day. Real exercise was walking the acres of a LARGE nursery to choose a Red Oak for our back yard. Drove home some 90 miles with the upper branches of a seven plus foot tree between DW and me with the rest wedged in our station wagon. Yay for trees.

Did well choosing lunch, CREDIT moi. Gently steering DW away from splitting an order of fried clams with French fries to splitting a bowl of yummy fish chowder and an organic platter of veggies that included roasted Rhubarb - the first time I've had Rhubarb outside of a sugar dessert concoction. It's a whack upside the head however you eat it. Fun lunch.

onebyone – Yep, farmer's markets all seem to include more food vendors than a fair grounds. Good luck just keeping your goals in mind. I love that you chose between the markets by the "hearty guffaws" - that's keeping priorities straight. Persepolis to my wish list on Amazon. My new thing is to delay a few days before buying new books, especially since I have five books on my RIGHT NOW reading stack at moment. Report will follow.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for posting your story. Your consistency provides a constant inspiration around here. I share your enthusiasm for The End of Overeating by David Kessler. It too helps me to see that the overwhelm of food isn't natural, that I've got to put up unnatural defenses. And the Beck strategies provide me with those. (Is it close to time for your trip to Ireland?)

maryann - Love the notion of grinding one's own flour. Did your DH really grow the wheat? I don't think of the west coast as a grain producing area. It's neat even if he just picked it up at Whole Foods on the way home.

Daimere – Yay for trying new stuff - gotta kiss some frogs in life if you're gonna move into unexplored territory. I liked the fourth (lower right corner) video best - cool music and moves both.

Artemis__ – Happy Beck Day One! Kudos for committing to a moving forward. Even if you start monitoring your eating now, there's a spot in the 42 days to choose your eating plan and backup eating plan. And later, an exercise plan. Glad you've joined us.

Re: Which book? My take is that any of the three will work. Starting with the pink book worked well for me; I really liked ticking off my progress over 42 'days' of steps. I stuck to posting daily to mark my progress. (It took me about twice that long, since I dawdled over some.) Some find the green book easier since they like the meal plan attached. I'd recommend starting with whichever of the two pink books appeals to you right this minute, and charge forth. Save the green book for some future time when you looking for a fresh kick to stay your path.

If the leftovers are tempting, put them inside a brown paper bag, staple the bag, and store it in the back of the refrigerator. If they are still too tempting, even with the extra packaging, throw them out. Remember, the food will go to waste either in your body or in the trash can. I often hear from dieters that they are the only ones who really eat the leftovers anyway. So I suggest that they just go ahead and throw out the leftovers right away if they don't want to end up eating them or if they can't think of when they will plan to eat them.

onebyone
05-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Hi Coaches

This being Mother's Day, we are heading over to C's mom's place this afternoon. N, C's mom, told him that his sister and BIL were over yesterday and they brought salads and the leftovers are ours today. C hates, nay, LOATHES leftovers. Oh well. Another food-related visit. I am getting tired of them. I would love it if she would not cook for us, but since she's injured her hip (she called to tell me she goes to rehab 3x a week now as they are pleased to say her bone is only 1cm out of the hip socket. She assures me it was not a "dislocated hip". Apparently, according to N, it is normal to lift a heavy bag of soil (with a shoulder that's scheduled to be operated on ASAP no less) and if you do that one too many times, you can put your hip out. This person is 65, not 85. She has not asked what she should do to prevent this from occurring again, nor has she inquired about why her skeletal structure seems to be failing--ie. what's the underlying cause. But then again, she comes from a family of tight-lipped folk who suffer silently.

I hope she's just "sparing us" and she has asked these questions. She needs to do something for herself IMHO to prevent more injuries down the road.

So, we are off to visit her today.

She has some gardening for me to do she said. I hope I don't get caught up trying to "make everything right" for her and in the process injure myself.

I feel old today.

Have a good day.

gardenerjoy
05-13-2012, 10:08 AM
onebyone: sympathies for the MIL issues. I was tasked with stirring the cream sauce last night. It was a good thing the recipe, for mushroom ravioli, was sitting right there -- 1700 calories a serving! And that was just the main dish. She was serving it with garlic bread, plus I brought salad and SIL bought a 2-layer chocolate cake. And, yeah, her back wasn't up to all the standing required to stir the cream sauce. I thought she was getting a handle on things with Jenny Craig, but apparently not. Unfortunately, I suspect Jenny Craig, for many people, doesn't solve the issues brought up in The End of Overeating book.

BillBlueEyes: Ireland is soon -- soon enough that I'm considering it both a 50th birthday present and a celebration of reaching goal weight! We still have a lot to do to prepare for our first overseas trip including finalizing our wardrobe. We keep re-assessing how cold it's likely to be. This week in St. Louis, we're going to have highs in the 80s. This week in Dublin, they're having highs in the 50s.

Welcome back, Artemis! I look forward to your posts. And, I second BillBlueEyes suggestion. This is a long journey, going through all three books, eventually, is a reasonable goal. It doesn't matter where you start. If you don't like how one is going, try something else.

maryann: grinding my own flour is on my wish list. I have a file around here somewhere with notes on that.

Daimere: good job continuing with the effort to eat sitting down. It definitely helps rewire the brain to think of eating as a separate and important activity that is worthy of attention.

Artemis__
05-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Hello Coaches and Friends.

Happy Mother's Day to those of you who are celebrating it today. Here in England we celebrate it a couple of weeks before Easter.

Today has been quite challenging food-wise. I've decided to start with the first book, then I'll use the Workbook, and may move to BDL if I need to after 12 weeks with the first two. And having read the part about The Two Week Wait, I have also decided to wait until Day 15 to start my diet. I think I need to take the time to learn the new skills covered in the days between now and then. I've started, and failed, many diets and I want to keep at it this time. Clearly as Beck talks about learning the skills to diet successfully, I don't yet have those skills. I looked ahead through the book at the first 14 days and there are some very useful tools in there which will help me. So I am working through the book in order, as I think in my case that's going to be the best way.
I've made my Advantage Response Card and I will read it before I go to sleep tonight.

BillBlueEyes
05-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. For Mother's Day dinner - provided by me courtesy of Whole Foods - I wandered a bit on the appetizers that DS had selected since they included dried tomatoes (good!) that tasted yummy when wrapped in gourmet salami (bad!). (Cracks me up: Yesterday I wrote of "roasted Rutabaga" when I meant "roasted Rhubarb." It must have read strange that I mentioned Rutabaga in a sugar dessert concoction, LOL.)

Exercise was planting the 7.5 foot Red Oak I mentioned yesterday. It was a perfect day to work in the yard - the same temperature inside the house and out.

onebyone – Hope you got some happy exercise gardening yesterday. Leftovers are one of my favorites. Perhaps I just enjoy knowing that dishes will be few.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Good grief! Hope you survived 1700 calorie mushroom ravioli with garlic bread and chocolate cake. Wish I could type that without it sounding so good. Would have liked to see the expressions on folks faces when you served yourself one ravioli in the center of a plate of salad. (Is 'ravioli' also singular? I don't recall seeing 'raviola' before.)

Artemis__ – Good move to delay starting your diet so that you focus on the skills before that distraction. Getting your Advantage Response Card is a big first move. Feel free to share some highlights here if you want.

The more often you practice eating out and ordering in, the better you will get at it.. You will make a shift from, I feel deprived, to I'm so happy I stuck to my plan. You will also make a shift from, I can't wait to eat a lot, to I'd so much rather be thinner than eat extravagantly ... It's not worth t! Eventually, making special requests will no longer feel difficult. You will naturally ask for what you need and will no longer confront as many sabotaging thoughts. You will also start to automatically make smarter choices and learn to recognize hidden calories.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pgs 149-150.

Artemis__
05-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Hello Coaches and Friends!

So at Bill's suggestion, I'm bravely sharing just three of the points on my Advantage Responses Card. I have a total of fifteen.

1) I will feel more comfortable in a plane seat. (I have to take a domestic flight quite often, and the seats on those small aircraft are teeny narrow!)

2) I will lessen my risk of Type 2 diabetes

3) I'll feel so much better about myself.

I will read my card in the morning when I wake up, at night before I go to sleep and during the day my hardest time is after a meal. That probably sounds crazy but the act of eating actually triggers my desire to overeat. Especially if I've eaten a little too much. I would say that afternoons around 2pm, and immediately after a meal are my hardest times to stick to my plan.

Tomorrow is Day 2 and one of my tasks is to pick two diets.
I am not sure which to choose, but I guess I can be flexible about this. If I give one a really good try and it's not working, I can switch to something different. I've tried almost every diet out there, the only one I never tried is calorie counting. I was always put off because I'm not good with numbers. Well, now there are websites and apps and alsorts of help so I think I can handle it now. Plus, it gives me the opportunity to tailor my own meal plans. I can pick mostly healthy foods but there is also a little leeway for treat foods. I'm not at all sure what my back up diet plan will be.

What are your thoughts on calorie counting?

Lexxiss
05-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Hi Coaches/Friends!

I "tried" to post earlier but poor internet got the best of my post"poof" Too much going on and didn't save it elsewhere first. We are very, very busy and I don't have a scale nor time to access one. We shower every 3 days at the laundromat. Working very hard-mostly physical projects. This morning I've hung on a ledge while trimming elderberry bushes and started hauling tires up our beach stairs for disposal. I am trying to make the best food choices whilst we bounce between eating out, getting invites and coming in at the end of the day not too excited about cooking. Sunrise here 5:20 Sunset almost 11pm

Ok, my crew awaits. I do take moments for myself and it looks like we'll finish our day with a big beach bonfire. We burn alot every day but the weather for a cookout hasn't been great until now.

Welcome Artemis!

BillBlueEyes
05-15-2012, 06:16 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi. The challenge was an evening meeting where we snack for dinner while we work. I find it difficult to stop, but kept it to the high side of OK.

Did gym, CREDIT moi, distracting myself by picking up dumbbells from the wrong locations and returning them to the correct locations - so I got to contribute to order in the universe without expending any energy. The universe rewarded me in return when I walked home under threatening skies that burst open just as I stepped on my front porch. Rain these days makes gardening DW a happy woman.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Sounds like a rugged life, with the joy of location, location, location. I forget that in Alaska you're already enough north to get such long days. Hope you can figure out how to stop eating since it doesn't get dark to send you a signal.

Artemis__ – I certainly recognize this one, "3) I'll feel so much better about myself." As much as I wish the world would respond to folks of all body types with equal respect, I find it hard to respond to myself with equal respect when I feel bad about my weight. If the world were perfect, I'd remain my own critic.

Re Calorie Counting: My thought is to go for it. I spent a few months meticulously observing calories where I found that my intuition about foods was often just plain wrong. White sauces always surprised me as well as fried foods and added butter. After a while, I resorted to portion control because I was selecting from the foods without the hidden calories. YMMV.

Having said all that, if you eat out a lot and find that you are not losing weight (or you are gaining), it's likely that:

The portions you consume are too large.
There are hidden ingredients that you are not counting.
Your special requests are not being honored.. . .Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 150.

gardenerjoy
05-15-2012, 03:49 PM
I've had too many days in a row that aren't up to my standard, with Mother's Day, my birthday, and just general craziness getting ready for our first trip to Europe. I want to be at the low end of my maintenance range when we leave just because it will make me feel better. So, I'm making a significant change to my food plan for a few days -- one snack instead of two and that snack is 1/4 cup of chocolate chips mixed with walnuts.

Artemis wrote "That probably sounds crazy but the act of eating actually triggers my desire to overeat." Me, too! It took me forever to acknowledge that, so good for you for figuring it out.
I think calorie counting is a useful tool to have in your repertoire. I've done it only briefly, although my preferred method of exchanges is really just a looser estimate of calories with an expectation that they come from a variety of foods. Like BillBlueEyes, knowledge of calories was more important to me than counting them every day -- but I wouldn't have acquired the knowledge without counting calories every day for a while.

Lexxiss: That sounds like a lot of work for vacation. I hope you get some down time as well.

BillBlueEyes: Thanks for setting the universe aright once again! Good job keeping the eating in check in a difficult circumstance.

TamTam
05-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Hello all. Am getting ready to close shop and head home. I ate all my meals sitting down today-eating standing is usually not a problem, so it's not hard to stick to that for me. I ate good and healthy today and supper when I get home will be good also and for a snack a 70 calorie fruit bar. Going home, put my feet up and read while watching tv. Have a blessed evening all. Tammy

onebyone
05-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Hi Coaches

I'm just not committed to my foodplan this week. I'm pretty unfocused and I hover between feeling grumpy and feeling tired and worn out. I can't believe that I am still adjusting to my new surroundings. This past week has just worn me down. So many new things; everyday it seems I am doing something for the very first time, or meeting people I've never met before. Usually I like this kind of thing. I thrive on novelty but I think I want some routine now. You'd think this would lead me to cherish a well-worn tried and true food plan. Well, no. I have caught myself accepting myself in this 250-260 range, like it's good enough now. I've averted the danger of being 300+, which was so so scary to me and so so close to coming true. But I need to also accept that 250 is not a weight range to remain at. I feel like I am "resting" emotionally at this weight. It's, surprisingly, comfortable. Guess I have to get out of my comfort zone and wave bye bye. I am a little leary of pressuring myself on this as I have a trip to visit my mom coming up next week, accompanied by the additional stress of do I call my siblings or not. I will be staing with my Florida sister at the residence where my mom lives and there is zero movement in the stalemate betweenl my siblings so for me to see my other sister and brother will require extra effort and I have seen that visiting my mother is about all I can manage.

No matter. This isn't even anything to think about right now as things will be whatever they will be. They are out of my control.

*credit* for a good food day and for taking care of some chores I have procrastinated over.
*credit for posting here, checking in with my coaches, and for weighing this morning.

CatholicCajun Good job eating sitting down and planning your food. Hope you had a good, restful, evening.

gardenerjoy DH and I were talking about a trip to Europe that I really want to take before, or during, my 50th year, just as you are doing. I, too, aspire to be at goal for my trip. DH went to the Isle of Man last year for work so he made the trans-Atlantic crossing without me. And SIL is in Paris right now with her DH on vacation and my brother just returned from Rome last week. My hope is to travel to Hungary and to visit the village where my grandmother, who raised me, came from. I told DH I am going with or without him. Then again, my Florida sister and I are planning to apply to an artist residency in Hungary to work on a joint project: a book--where each of us would contribute images and text. We're going to toss some ideas around when we meet up next week. BTW she just won 1st prize in a writing contest so this will help our goal along. If you want to read the story send me a message and I'll give you the link--I know you are a writer/reader too;) So, in summary, I completely understand how you feel right now! Good job changing it up to stay on track.

BillBlueEyes Snacking through dinner at work sounds like a real recipe for overeating. Kudos for remaining aware of the situation and staying within your acceptable limits. I am dying to get at my community garden but our farmer friend who tills the soil hasn't done it yet, but once I plant stuff, I too will be happy for the rain. MIL this weekend had me plant annuals for her from flats into 2 pots and the leftovers into the ground. Just a gardening tease if you ask me...

Lexxiss Seems to me you are always fixing up some kind of house! You must be a real whiz with all that stuff. Our longest day sees the sunset around 9:00. 11pm would be neat. When do you return? What happens to your house there when you leave?

Artemis This is EXACTLY me:
the act of eating actually triggers my desire to overeat
Because of this, I know that the behavioral aspects of Beck and of my food plan/program are primary to keeping me on track. I do have certain trigger foods, ones that I can't control, or it seems I control them at the time but they have triggered me to want more of it and I am plagued with thoughts of the stuff for days, but overall, what is the worst thing for me is to overeat on food period. Or to go off track. I can say Oh Well now, as Beck suggests and it's no big deal to get back ont rack right away as she also stresses, but it's these behaviours that eat away at my self confidence that I can and will meet my weight and food goals. Everytime I eat I have to be conscious of it. My subconsious has no food limits. BIG CREDIT TO YOU for recognizing this trigger behaviour and for the willingness to deal with it. Awesome.

BillBlueEyes
05-16-2012, 05:23 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - My walk, CREDIT moi, was to explore the reason for the power outage that occurred just before the time to prepare a late dinner. Seems that a wire had just decided to let go. It wasn't felled by a tree limb or lightning stroke. The firemen said that it happened that way from time to time; they weren't surprised. I let the day-long drizzly day excuse me from getting in my planned long walk, Ouch.

Power came back on in time for DW to cook the flounder she'd bought earlier. Spent a few moments thanking the ocean for continuing to produce fish. Food was good enough, CREDIT moi.

onebyone – Ouch for the additional stress added to your visit to your mother. Love the plans to visit Hungary to write a book. You're so good at generating new ideas. Keep the faith about your eating plan; dropping to new plateaus will always awaken ennui that no further progress is possible. It is. You will.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats on being able to eat a quarter cup of chocolate chips and then stopping. I find those little guys to be a trigger food.

Tammy (CatholicCajun) – Neat that eating seated is easy for you. Is your busy season coming to an end?

Having said all that, if you eat out a lot and find that you are not losing weight (or you are gaining), it's likely that:
. . .
The restaurant has supplied you with misleading information. A Center for Science in the Public Interest analysis determined that some restaurants served meals that contained hundreds more calories than what was listed on their menus.
You may have to eat out less often. Remember that eating in saves you calories - and money.Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 150.

Daimere
05-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Sorry for the silence. Been crazy but a good crazy! I measured on Saturday. So hopefully I'll lose a inch or half and inch by the 30th. I lost 5 pounds since last week. I've been exercising consistently for 7 days. I had the option to try out a Pure Bare class for free yesterday and I tried it. OMG so sore! And then I had to teach a hooping class later. I asked my husband if sporadically I can go to it as a reward. Too expensive to take regularly. But I have my DVDs and my barre! I might try a yoga class this week. Maybe. I woke up and did a 10 minute yoga workout and my husband was trying to be supportive and all that by telling me to go in the bedroom for more room. On Friday, I plan to clean/unpack that room that I've been saying I would do forever. I started last night. Yay!

This Saturday and Sunday is my training. Holy moly all the activity I will have this week. I'll probably sweat off tons of weight this weekend. I still haven't done my exercise for today. I'm trying to dedicate at least 10 minutes of activity daily. So I must do it. I can still feel those Pure Bare abs!

Eating has been good for the most part. The scale is going down. So yay!

Lexxiss
05-16-2012, 11:55 AM
:wave:

A brisk but beautiful day on our stretch of Alaska beach! We're journeying accross the bay this morning to visit Kirk's Uncle who is recovering from heart surgery. We didn't want to spend the entire day and it worked out. Kirk's nephew will pick us up at the harbor at 9 and we'll be back by early afternoon. It will be warmer then and we can work on yard projects. We have a fuel tank being delivered and a few days left to figure out how to get it to it's final resting spot.

Food has been low priority. There is alot that defies planning and we find ourselves in survival mode. I'm happy to have made the effort to make my morning smoothie available and last night I took advantage of an extra one while the guys ate canned stew. credit.

Time to make our smoothie AND some solid breakfast. The open ocean and the cold will burn lots of energy.

Have a great day everyone!

Artemis__
05-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks everyone. Good to know that I'm not the only who finds that eating (anything) is a trigger. I do also have some specific food triggers too.

I'm stuck at Day 2 while I make a decision regarding diet. At the moment I'm thinking to reduce simple carbs overall, and calorie counting.
Day 3 is to only eat sitting down. That's not a problem for me, I very rarely eat when I'm standing.
So in the meantime while I make a decision about my food plan, I've been just trying to cut down a little, tracking my food intake and keeping a note of calories. I can see now why I'm obese. Even when I'm not overeating as such, I'm eating a lot of high calorie stuff, and my portions are way off. :(

I hope everyone is having a good day!

fyreflie24
05-16-2012, 04:48 PM
WELCOME Artemis!!

Well my 25 HS reunion was this past Saturday. What a bizarre trip that was! It was nice to feel relatively confident in how I looked and did receive what I think we're genuine compliments to that effect. One gentleman, though, said "you can't be donamari"... um... I really hope that was meant as a good thing?

BillBlueEyes
05-17-2012, 05:56 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did gym, CREDIT moi. Had one of those unpleasant experiences with the person at the front desk when I attempted to understand how my prepaid membership translates into the membership categories of the new gym owners. They are so adamant that "it's the same" that nothing in writing will ever be provided. It's not the same; there are new categories and new features that I am entitled to or not. And I have sixty days to convert or stay the same - whatever that means. The business model of all gyms seems to be: confuse and intimidate. /rant.

Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi. The joy of my day was to snarf up a pristine new copy of Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut for a quarter (USD $0.25). Seems to me that I must have read this eons ago (original published 1969), but I'll enjoy a reread.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Makes me so happy to think of you in the wilds of Alaska "in survival mode." Catching rabbits in snares. Stealing salmon from bears. Forced to grub for edible plants - then making them into smoothies, LOL.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Yay for getting hit-on at your high school reunion - a nice feeling even if you're not sending out available signals.

Daimere – Yay for abs that feel your workout. And Kudos for starting that cleanup project - an ordered environment contributes to staying the path.

Artemis__ – It's such a useful step to recognize that "my portions are way off." Kudos for approaching your diet choices thoughtfully.

reality check
If you are thinking: It's okay to go off my diet because I'm at a restaurant. Besides, everyone else is eating this way.
Face reality: It doesn't matter how much everyone else eats. Whatever calories someone else puts into his/her body has absolutely no effect on the calories you put in your body. Remember, it's your goal to lose weight and keep it off, so you're responsible for making it happen.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 150.

fyreflie24
05-17-2012, 10:13 AM
OH he wasn't hitting on me Bill, he was in some state of shock LOL! Trying not to find that really disconcerting! :)

SCORE on Slaughterhouse-Five! OMG been years since I read that!

maryann
05-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Good Morning, Coaches.

Good to have the day off. Last week I worked my day off and will do that next week as well. School ends June 1 and I am promising myself a recommitment to Beck. Like gardener joy, I want to be at my lower range when I go to Vermont for summer semester. Until then, credit for reinstating juicing. DS and I juiced an entire cauliflower, a head of celery and four peppers to make drinks for the next three days. I really enjoy the cauliflower juice and I have discovered that I can make a very tasty "mock" mash potatoes with the pulp. So I will have that for lunch. I will also take a walk today.
I missed Lexxiss going to Alaska. Is this permanent or just a visit?
Best to all.

gardenerjoy
05-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Credit for ridding the house of 3 boxes of clothes & housewares and 3 boxes of books. I'm not sure why, but upcoming trips seem to motivate me to clear out unwanted stuff that's been sitting around for months.

Credit for eating well on a day that never got a plan. Credit for writing a plan for tomorrow.

BillBlueEyes
05-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Planned my walk, CREDIT moi, to include the library where I returned books I'd read but not were yet due. That's interesting because I've got this notion that I'll go back and reread to be sure I understood. I don't. I just hold the book until the due date forces me to return it. So I decided to get them back into circulation ASAP and recognize that I have a serious to-be-read stack that I choose to spend my time with. If I want to reread, I can check the book out again later. It's the same mixed up thinking that justifies holding on to excess clothes, tool, books and other stuff that takes up space. CREDIT moi for seeing that and taking a tiny step.

Food was good enough, CREDIT moi, including dinner at my favorite Japanese Ramen place where I get a huge bowl of miso based goodness for a fast-food length wait and little money. I had planned to read but so enjoy wrestling with my chop sticks and little spoon that I didn't. So I backed into the Beck strategy of paying attention to my food by paying attention to the mechanics of consumption.

onebyone – Waving. ["This is the book I want you to read, and then I want a full report:" Loved it. Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi presents the drama of the ten years of Iran spanning the fall of the last emperor, the Shah and the rise of the Islamic Republic through the eyes of the author as a young girl. Dramatic personal views of violence, brutality, and bitter options between truth and survival. Easy to grow to love Persia, the Persians, and the young author. I was left stunned - unable to read anything else for a spell. Changed my snide about 'graphic' books (a.k.a modern comic books) as I was spell bound by the wood-cut style graphics. Thanks for the tip.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for getting rid of stuff. I'll try to see if I can use your notion of directing pre-vacation energy toward clearing out.

maryann - Yay for juicing everything that's not tied down. Neat that you've got re-Becking in your plans.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – OK, then just revel in your new confidence and re-sculpted body. And remember that a high school boy's concept of 'fat' starts at ten pounds above Playboy weight.

Confidently Follow Your Plan at Social Events
Many dieters tell me they sometimes avoided or dreaded social gatherings. They thought there was no way to say no to birthday cake without feeling deprived or guilty. They didn't think they could go to a bar and forgo the free snacks or extra drinks. They especially feared parties where hors d'oeuvres were offered, not to mention a heavy main course with a dessert.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 150.

fyreflie24
05-18-2012, 07:27 AM
159.8 this morning friends! That means I have entered what is probably the last decade I'll have to pass through assuming I land in the 140s. It's starting to feel attainable now. Wow...

Bill: You crack me up man :) Thank you :)

onebyone
05-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Hello Coaches

I've been snapped out of my dieter's malaise by some good news and a deadline: my drawing group was accepted into the inaugural Nuit Blanche Ottawa event. Nuit Blanche is an all-night one night art festival. We will be doing a performance art piece on the sidewalk from 7pm to 7am, though we also have a room reserved for us inside the School of Art which was great thinking on one of our group's part as it could rain and/or be cold This is Sept 22nd in Ottawa. It could even snow. Or just be frosty. Needless to say there will be Big Press and I will be In Public and so this good news has transformed itself to re-committment to shedding weight once more.

At Weight Watchers yesterday I weighed in and saw the same weight as last week which was great. I didn't track faithfully, yet I held the line so this is good news. Inspite of my disordered thinking, I have obviously kept the portions down, the activity levels decent, and have employed the Beck strategies to do so. I have been "practicing" these skills for a few years now. Good to see I've digested enough to keep me ontrack until my conscious brain decides to join the party once more.
I am still looking to be under 250 by June.
5lbs away.
By late September and Nuit Blanche I look to be anwhere from -20lbs (230) to 2x that (210). These are weights, both of them, I have not seen in almost a decade. And when I last saw them, it was a fleeting glance as I raced past them to a low of 177 and then back up to settle in at 244 for months and months and months.

I caught myself saying to myself last night, "I'd like to be really skinny now" last night. Weird. Never thought that ever before that I can recall. Things are afoot.

Must go. Will be back for personals later.

:wave: Bye Everyone.

Lexxiss
05-18-2012, 01:07 PM
:wave:

Our last day in Alaska (MaryAnn-we're up working on our beach rental, which used to be our personal abode). We have been working like crazy and have a few projects left. I will give a full report upon my return to civilization.

Donamarie, congrats on your new low!

gardenerjoy
05-18-2012, 11:17 PM
My efforts to be more vigilant with my eating are paying off. I've lost 2 pounds in 5 days, mostly water, I'm sure. A few more days of this and I'll be back where I want to be. Credit for getting right on this project and not waiting for five pounds creep back.

WI: -0.4 kgs, Exercise: +35 820/1400 minutes for May, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes
05-19-2012, 05:53 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did gym, CREDIT moi, with nothing unusual to report. We're heading into the season where I have to adjust my expectations for the gap between lunch and dinner. Seams that DW doesn't feel the signal to start making dinner until it's too dark to see in her garden. Which means that around 8pm it happens. That's not a major problem, but it is later than around 6:30 when dinner happens in the winter when it would already be dark when I got home from work. The nibbles are calling my name during that extra hour and a half.

I did break the time with a trip to our community garden to get some sage, which diverted my attention away from snarfing food. Appears that it suffices that I do a simple physical activity and my gotta-eat-something-now feelings get diverted. Sounds like something Dr. Beck would suggest.

onebyone – LOL at "until my conscious brain decides to join the party" - everything I've read about brains lately describe the different parts contributing their opinions until the strongest gets to send signals to the nerves that control our muscles. Wonder what life would be like if all of our neurons agreed on a single course of action. Nuit Blanche sounds like it's make for you; just the place for you to shine.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Big Kudos for getting right on your tuning efforts. And Congrats for such a quick success. Thought you might appreciate that there are newbies chasing one of your favorite topics, http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/259260-cook-books.html.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Waving back on your last day in Alaska. I'll miss living there vicariously.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Congrats on your new low - das a lota of cheerleaders.

I never want you to avoid a social event for fear you will overeat! These events are an extension of eating out, and you will use many of the skills you used for restaurant eating. The more you practice, the easier these situations will become. I have dieters who initially thought it was impossible to stay in control at social events, but the more they practiced and learned from their mistakes, the better and better every one of them became at this kind of challenging situation.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pgs 150-151.

Lexxiss
05-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Good morning from Homer, Alaska! We're sitting on the small commuter flight which will take us to Anchorage. It's an hour and is usually pretty bumpy. We got lots accomplshed and had some fun, too, but I'm looking forward to some warmer weather. My 25 years here was great but I'm looking forward to getting home and resuming my routine. We'll get back late tonight and drive to Glenwood tomorrow to drop Leroy off and pick up the Bingster. Back home for work on Monday.

I look forward to being back in the loop!

maryann
05-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Good Morning, Coaches. Hopefully another quiet day today. DS is down with the stomach flu. He is lying on the couch next to me, too sick to even watch Sat. Morning cartoons, poor thing. Yesterday was terrfiic getting things done. Like Gardenerjoy, I cleaned out some more clothes. I used my new grain mill to make chickpea flour using the chickpeas from our coop. I made a chickpea pizza with tomatoes, onions and parmesan that was out of this world. The flour is a lot better for me than wheat flour. It has a ton of protein and more fiber all around, good stuff.
Weight still high but credit for step class and a walk today. Yoga tomorrow.
BBE: I too am trying to expunge the snacking habit that has slipped back into my routine between lunch and dinner.
Onebyone: Congrats on the new art project. It sounds exciting.
Fyreflie: Terrific about the new decade. I remember that feeling.
Lexxiss: Funny you say "I want to get back to somewhere warm" when you live in Colorado. Sitting in California, I laughed. We are a timid weather crew out here.

fyreflie24
05-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Lexxiss!! You’re under 10 lbs to go! Amazing!! :) Best on the transition... I can’t image life in Alaska!

GardnerJoy: HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :) And an awesome story :)

Daimere: the AM/PM yoga sounds great! I need to do that more :)

Onebyone: So excited about your journey! Love watching it :)

Had a school gala last night and was wicked good :) Very proud of self :) Of course the weight loss has halted for the moment but that's ok.

Daimere
05-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Hello coaches! I've been doing fairly good. Busy. I'm awake during the days right now for this training. The hoopfit training was a KILLER. Of course, they had amped it up cause we were all awesome hoopers. But whoo. If sparkpeople is right, I burned 1000 calories with my 3 hours of hooping today. That's good cause I ate within my calories but it wasn't the healthiest foods in the world. Maybe this will make up for it?

BillBlueEyes
05-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - It was a full day. Rode my bike, CREDIT moi, to spend a bunch of time at an outdoor celebration of a natural area. Unfortunately with FREE food from several local natural and organic vendors. Organic and Natural mean that it's OK to cease thinking about calories and food plans. And FREE just shuts down my thinking totally, LOL. Did stuff some things in my backpack instead of just stuffing them in my face, CREDIT moi. And I did eat a HUGE muffin that I didn't need since I'd already had a FREE banana and FREE apple during the day.

Biking raises the problem of yard sales. But I heroically perused three and purchased NOTHING! I am so proud. The most difficult item to leave behind was Joseph Heller's Closing Time. Finally, I decided that I was happy with Yossarian where I left him and didn't want to face a sequel to Catch-22. If I change my mind, the library will lend me theirs.

I did very well at dinner though, composed of Thai takeout since we were squeezed before going out to hear the songs of Woody Guthrie celebrated on the 100th anniversary of his death. It's just amazing to remember how many songs originated with him.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Waving back generally westward - somewhere between Alaska and Colorado. Hope you survive travel food.

maryann - Ouch for stomach flu in the little guy. Yay for making chick pea flour in your new mill.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Kudos for keeping the path while enjoying the school gala - you're demonstrating Beck's strategies of today's quote for us all.

Daimere – Three hours is a whole lot of hooping. Kudos for working all those muscles.

Create a Social Eating Mindset
Put the "social" back in social events. Think of them as people events - as a chance to catch up or meet someone new. If you feel deprived, remind yourself that if you overeat, you will be deprived of feeling in control, good about yourself, proud when you leave the event, and happy when you get on the scale the next morning. If you fool yourself into thinking it is okay to change your eating plan at the last minute, ask yourself how well making spontaneous food decisions has worked in the past.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 151.

Lexxiss
05-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Hi Coaches/Friends!

We are home, but still need to drive our friend 2 hours west AND pick up the pup. The good news is that a dip in the hot springs might be included.

Beck-wise, I have already weighed this morning. Up much higher than I had expected(5#), but it is information. My logical brain scanned the results and remembered that yesterday morning I was at sea level and now I'm at 7800 feet. A logical scenario for water retention. I'll bet I'm back down by the end of the week, even if I did actually gain one or two vacation pounds.

BBE, I fared pretty well with my food and travel although I am remembering now that breakfast was at McD. I resisted buying anything on the airplane and searched out a hearty salad at Seattle and had a Japanese fast food place make a veggie brown rice stir fry. Sat at Starbucks for 3 hours and resisted goodies, too. It sounds like you did pretty well at your event...I'm glad I didn't have to negotiate it.

All in all...vacation rating, OK. credit for making those smoothies as often as I could.

Tazzy
05-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Hello Everyone,

You know it's been awhile when you can't remember the last time you posted here, and I didn't want to search to find out when that was. I have kept up with reading the posts though.

Belated Happy Birthday to Gardenerjoy and belated Happy Mothers Day to all it applies to. I went to my parents for Mothers Day (2 hour drive away) and had a great day, followed by 2 days of flu symptoms and not moving from the couch. Then I had to fit 5 days of work into the remaining 3 days in the office. I was happy for the long weekend to come (Victoria Day in Canada tomorrow). DH and I worked in the yard yesterday, I spent over 3 hours planting my veggie garden while he cut the grass and then aerated it and watered it. I was out there for over 7 hours doing stuff, I'm really looking forward to the new additions to the garden this year; swiss chard, peas, spanish onions and garlic. Today I have to finish the container pots with the herbs and I found a container zuchinni plant I'm excited to try. I'm also going to dig 2 new flowerbeds by a lattice privacy screen that we put up a few weeks ago. I want to grow some honeysuckle on one of them so it's a permanent addition. The other will be some annuals for this year.

Weight is getting better, after spending most of the last 4 weeks between 170-171 the scale has dropped back to the 160's. I woke up Thursday morning and just decided to start WW again, my mom had returned all my info as she is now doing it online. It's been so long since I've done this that I'm having to start all over calculating points and with measuring properly I think that's helping. I need to put a lot of thought into my plans as I'm trying to eat very few wheat based products now. I've been reading a lot lately on the topic and although I'm not celiac I spent many years with ulcerative colitis and I don't think wheat gluten helped it either. Right now I'm reading Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD, and it's pretty enlightening. He talks about looking back at family albums of our parents and grandparents and noticing how much thinner people were then, the wheat products we consume today are so much different that they used. How the glycemic index rating for wheat is so high, his one quote that really surprised me was Did you know that eating two slices of whole wheat bread can increase blood sugar more than 2 tablespoons of pure sugar can?. I'm looking forward to seeing what else I can learn as DH is a huge fan of wheat products and beer and has the belly to back that up. ;)

BBE Good job on the yard sales, I'm sure riding your bike really limits what you can carry! I really want to get out on my bike this weekend.

Firefly24 Yay for the 150's, that's a remarkable achievement. You are going to be rocking at the beach soon.

Lexxiss Glad to hear your trip to Alaska was a successful one. I never thought about altitude as a factor in weight gain when I returned from vacations. We are not quite as high as you in Colorado but getting up there.

Daimere 3 hours of hooping sounds like fantastic exercise.

maryann Hope DS is feeling better and the nasty flu bug doesn't catch you.

onebyone Congrats on Ottawa, gotta love Canadian weather and not knowing if Sept can be counted on to be warm and dry. Lately it's been one of the nicest months of weather we've had in Calgary.

:wave: to everyone else I may have missed. Time to get the gardening clothes back on and go dig some flowerbeds! Maybe for the holiday tomorrow I'll just sit back and watch everything grow!

maryann
05-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Good Morning, Coaches. Today I feel much better than yesterday. DS was fighting the stomach flu but I was fighting the blues. Credit for not launching full fledge into the food to eat my way out of it. I need to take my cue from DS. He was super sick in the morning, too sick to watch cartoons but by afternoon he was back up with a smile and a new attitude. I need to learn from that. A day begins again when I want it to begin, not by the calendar.

Spent most of yesterday juicing lots of veggies and fruit for the coming week. Cooked a few new recipes including figure friendly broccoli and cheese soup ( low fat) I took a walk. In prior years, I would never have been around healthy foods during the blues. I would have bought a roll of pre packaged cookie dough and ate it all by myself in the car.

Today, I am determine to forge ahead with recovery. I have written down my food for the first time in months. I have eaten sitting down. Onward soldiers.

Tazzy: I just came back from a long absence. This is a long race. It is not the fails that count, it is the getting back to the business of recovery from food addiction.
Lexxiss: Welcome home.
Fyreflie: Those school events are killer. Congrats. I was at one two nigths ago and scraped the frosting off a cupcake and called it dinner.
BBE: You are a model of restraint. I am proud of you. I was reminded of a reformed Templeton the rat from Charlette's Web. Always scurrying around, trying to snag a little here and there.

onebyone
05-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Hi Coaches

Phew. It was Florida hot today. And yesterday. I did the farmers' market yesterday and my sales were up $20 from the week before; my first. I did obsess a bit over whether the other market was the better one as I had to choose between the two, but I have pretty much burned that bridge by turning them down. So it's up to me to do the best I can as the season unfolds.

I am very tempted by the smoked meat booth. Local meat products hold HUGE attraction for me. Couple that with "oh it's protein--way better than all the baked goods..." Yeah. The points are high though--even if they are cheaper than the decadent goodies. Anyway, I was already better than I was last week so I will continue to adjust myself.

Today I planned a picnic for us. I didn't tell DH what was in the cooler and he didn't tell me where we would go. We went to the Badlands. What a surprise! http://www.ontariotrails.on.ca/trails-a-z/cheltenham-hills And, of no surprise, was a group of 4 young adult boys discussing whether they should go get the "longboard and try it". And, of course, one did. He tried to skateboard the hills and fell off and tried to hold the pain in as his friends laughed and then another one tried and he jumped off before the fall and the first one said "I need a glow in the dark batman bandage; come on let's go." They didn't. We left before them. We went afterwords to Belfountain Conservancy Area. We hiked quite a bit through here: 75min total. I was counting. We had our picnic by the river at the bottom of the gorge. There were so many people! Someone must hve been having a communty event. Those of us in twos were just trying to find a peaceful place to sit, but we were always found and my DH could not get over the woman who stood one foot (yes, really) beside me for at least 20minutes at the water's edge. I was shocked at this invasion of my personal space IN A FOREST..hello?? DH said if it had been him he would have asked her to move. I was amazed and so wanted to wait her out. I did. She and her friend left.

We've decided to make the pic-nic to a surprise destination part of our summer this year. And we'll alternate roles as to who chooses the location and who assembles the picnic. I am going to force myself to hike more, even though it's not my favorite thing, probably cause it's not easy since I am 255. At 290 I could not/would not have done what I did today. CREDIT MOI.

Daimere
05-21-2012, 04:20 AM
The training I had Satuday was Hoopnotica fit. It involved a lot of hooping while doing lunges! My booty is feeling it still! Unfortunately if I want to be a good teacher, I have to practice it. More reason to keep exercising. Hoopdance was much easier. Although we were on our feet for hours but it wasn't as intense and non stop. I'm currently trying to adjust my sleeping schedule back to nights. Ugh. My eating this weekend was okay. I tried to get healthier versions, cut things in half, stopped when I was full. I wound up buying two hoop DVDs while at the training. Now I have all four/five of the Hoopnotica DVDs. I'm hoping in the next few weeks to get liability insurance and hopefully get some awesome classes for hooping going.

Here I am with one of my certificates:
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/165965_10151109012751102_502531101_13008279_166039 2241_n.jpg

And here's the "we did it, we're instructors!" picture:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s320x320/578066_10151747097340273_861290272_24269270_772003 805_n.jpg
The lady in the middle in the pink actually lost 150 pounds with hooping. She's a Hoopnotica Master instructor and her husband hoops with her! It's so cool!
What are healthier versions of foods to chose at chinese?

BillBlueEyes
05-21-2012, 06:30 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - The month of May seems to gather many events onto the same day. Yesterday I had options to eight events that included food, in addition to two meals. Fortunately, I had to triage and skip four of them. I did OK at a large family dinner, CREDIT moi, although I added ice cream to my dessert bowl of mixed fruit. Gotta watch that ice cream. It was a big chunk of the weight that I previously lost.

Exercise was merely running from here to there, always taking the car due to time pressure.

onebyone – Neat picture of the Cheltenham Badlands. Just love the notion of a surprise picnic and a surprise destination. Kudos for 75 minutes of hiking.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Welcome home. Kudos for foraging for an edible wild salad in Seattle. Do you now have two smoothie blenders?

maryann - Yay for the recovery rate of a young guy. Kudos for choosing healthy foods to improve the mood rather than the old comfort foods. [Gotta go reread Charlotte's Web to refresh my memory of "reformed Templeton the rat" - but that's me, filling all spaces with stuff.]

Tazzy - Seven hours in the garden should do wonders for the soul as well as the body. Kudos for making a choice to change your eating plan to Weight Watchers. Sounds like a good idea to be forced to think carefully about food portions anew.

Daimere – That's one happy smiling Hoopnotica Shannon over her certificate. Kudos for pursuing your dream. (I don't have low cal Chinese menu ideas. I believe it's Beverlyjoy who always orders steamed bass. It's the sauces that contain hidden calories in oil. It's a blow to realize that sauces are just butter or oil in disguise.)

Overeating at social events strengthens your giving-in muscle and is likely to make it harder to stay on track, exert self-control at the next event, and, ultimately, lose weight. Keep reminding yourself that you're not being deprived of all food, and you get so many advantages in return.

gardenerjoy
05-21-2012, 09:24 AM
I spent most of the weekend practicing the packing for our trip to Ireland. We couldn't figure out what luggage we needed without a trial run. It was a surprisingly exhausting project. But, we have a solution we are confident will work which is a much better state than we were last week.

I wasn't derailed by tapas. That's a difficult situation to keep track of things, but I focused on veggies and keeping the small in the small plate.

WI: +0.05 kgs, Exercise: +0 860/1400 minutes for May, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: thanks for the link to the cookbook discussion -- I put in my 2 cents!

Tazzy: I love growing Swiss chard -- it survives both heat and cold. I harvest the outer leaves and it just keeps on growing.

onebyone: yay for hiking and getting out in nature. I predict that you will find it more and more fun over time.

Daimere: yay for all the hooping achievements. Love how you look so happy in the photos. We don't do much Chinese because DH has an adverse reaction to the MSG. We do eat some Japanese and I can tell you that no matter what you eat, you're likely to see a soy sauce induced gain the next day. I gained 5 pounds overnight once! But don't let it rattle you -- that five pounds was gone in a few days. I'm not sure if BeverlyJoy is reading our thread now, but she gets a steamed fish dish over veggies, I think, and maybe skips the rice.

TamTam
05-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Morning all! I did not have a good weekend with my eating, simple put I ate too much and too often! It is something I really am angry with myself about, but I cannot undo what has been done, I can just learn from it and move forward. So I am committing to eating the way I am supposed to for the next 7 days, no more or no less, just for 7 days! I AM NOT going to buy "woman's world" magazine because of all the issues I have bought to this day there has been no perfect diet with my name on it, they have a new diet each issue and one week will contradict what the diet the week before said was good for you, so I am "fasting" from that magazine. Ok, have to to run errands, have a blessed day!

maryann
05-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Good Morning, Coaches,

Yesterday I was OP except for a stray See's Candy my husband had. That is the first day in a long time that has gone according to plan. So far today, I have resisted any chocolate foraging at school -another first in many months. I keep telling myself "In the end, you will have to be uncomfortable without sugar. Better to be uncomfortable five pounds heavier than 15 pounds heavier." Food is planned for the rest of the day. I plan to sit down with all food and catch an extra yoga class this afternoon.

BBE and onebyone: Meat and fruit seem so harmless until it is too much meat and ice cream on the fruit.

BillBlueEyes
05-22-2012, 05:35 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Is was a good enough day on my eating plan, CREDIT moi. The triumph was at a late afternoon retirement party for a friend. I skipped all the hors dourves, cheeses, salami's, and liquid calories, CREDIT moi, but in a spirit of camaraderie with a bunch of old friends, I accepted a piece of flat cake - but actually split it with a buddy who I know to be watching his food intake. Close enough.

Did gym, CREDIT moi, saddened by an unexpected change - the new management has removed the magazine racks where I have been bringing our read magazines for six years and occasionally picking up an exotic or unusual magazine for myself. Just removed them. Perhaps they've shooting for a clientele who can't read, or who choose to do their elliptical workout in a meditative trance. DW is saddened because this was such a good way to get another use out of the large volume of paper in the magazines that come here.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Superb idea to get the angst about clothes choices and luggage under control before the last minute. One of the worst features of being overweight was that I had few choices of clothes that fit, and those were usually tired. When I started traveling with newish clothes, I discovered how much longer they looked fresh on my journey. Yay for conquering Tapas.

maryann - That's an image worthy of a t-shirt, "chocolate foraging at school." LOL. I'm so glad we don't have See's Candy around here.

Tammy (CatholicCajun) – LOL at "fasting" from that magazine - particularly your observation that each week's diet contradicts the week before. Perhaps you'll choose to post your progress daily for your seven day focus.

Read this Response Card before attending a social event:SOCIAL EVENTS RESPONSE CARD
I need to make social events be about the people
and not about the food. I have to face the fact that
every time I eat spontaneously at a social event, I
undermine my efforts by strengthening my giving-in
muscle. Every time I stick to my plan, I feel great and
in control.

Lexxiss
05-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Hi Coaches/Friends!

I weighed both yesterday and this morning and the scale is moving back down. I stuck with my food plan for dinner but snacked at work. Ouch. Just nibbles,but not my usual self. Planning to do better today. Smoothie is on my immediate agenda and work comes very soon.

BBE, yes, now we have 2 vitamixes. I was delighted when I looked at the receipt to remember that there is no sales tax in Anchorage which made a big difference.

gardenerjoy
05-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Yesterday's adventures included a bunch of the shopping that still needed to be done -- little things like socks and big things like carry-on luggage sized for international flights which is smaller. Fortunately with our practice packing over the weekend we were able to go much smaller -- a bag that would count as a "personal item" on a domestic flight.

Lunch was at a restaurant -- warm tenderloin tip salad topped with flash-fried spinach. Yum.

WI: -0.05 kgs, Exercise: +55 915/1400 minutes for May, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Tazzy
05-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Hello Everyone,

The rest of my weekend went pretty well. Ended up doing about 20 hours of yard work and gardening over the 3 days. Did not get out on my bike but that's okay. I'm at the point now that as long as things stay watered and get lots of sun I can sit back and watch them grow!

Weighed and stayed the same, exercise today will be Zumba, looking forward to that. I need to shop for either a new pair of dress shoes or black pants to wear to an event on Thursday night. This time I'm a guest, not part of the support team so my attire needs to be a little fancier! And I hate shopping so I'll decide on whether I wear the dress or the pants outfit based on which thing I can find first! And ideally all before Zumba class, if I shop after that someone will think they should call 911 as I'm always so red.

I have a NSV from last week that I forgot to tell all of you. On of my colleagues last day was Friday and she's off for her 1 year maternity leave. She loves cookies but with a 4 year old at home has no time to bake. I baked 4 dozen of my favorite chocolate chip cookies last Thursday and never once licked my fingers or the spoon or even tasted one until yesterday when there was only a couple left from the 2 dozen I kept at home!

Well need to get back to my desk, lunch is over. Spaghetti squash with meat sauce, very yummy.

Have a good day!

maryann
05-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Huge Credit for Day 3 OP. I am sitting writing this on my lunch hour while students are eating sundaes next to me. I am not tempted. What a miracle!The scale did not pay off today. I was up another pound. But I know that always happens when I am back on track with exercise. I go up a few pounds. This is a long race. I know I am on my way.

BillBlueEyes
05-23-2012, 04:53 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - I let cool and day-long drizzly limit my exercise - Ouch. Lazy set it. My body feels stiff and stale. Gotta remember that I own rain gear for going out in the rain.

It was a good food day, CREDIT moi. I've let the dried fruits that I've been over eating for snacks run out without getting replaced. It's a primitive control mechanism, but effective. I just don't reach for a can of tuna fish or box of cereal for snack; my triggers are nuts and dried fruits. I'll just go through a period around here without them until my mojo resurrects itself.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Amazing, "were able to go much smaller" - Maybe you could give lessons on how to pack for a European vacation.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for the scale reflecting your body adjusting to the change in altitude.

maryann - Miracle indeed to sit next to sundaes being gulped without joining in - Kudos.

Tazzy - Neat NSV with hands off on four dozen chocolate chip cookies - Kudos. I'm a little skeptical at "I can sit back and watch them grow!" You mean for the rest of the summer you'll just send the butler out to gather whatever the cook needs for dinner? LOL.

social event skills
To handle social events with ease, you will use many of the skills already presented in this chapter. Here are some additional suggestions:

Bring food with you when you can: Depending on the type of event, you many be able to bring foods you can eat. Jacob planned to take turkey burger patties and a salad with him to a barbeque. Another time, he brought two desserts to a dinner party: fruit that was on his plan and a cake he didn't particularly like.. . .

Beverlyjoy
05-23-2012, 07:34 AM
Hi... I am checking in. well - I am in shock. My weight is up a "only" one pound from as the last time I weighed ... two or three Wednesday's ago. I weigh 215. I don't deserve it, really. My eating has been out of control. Still, I am 10 - 12 pounds heavier than the first of the year.

I'll keep moving forward and take this as a 'gift'. I am relieved, but, I can't keep eating the way I have. Practically pure carbs, sugar and fat.

I am fighting a depression. I know that eating better could improve it. I hope I can find the willingness to end my food insanity. First step... write down a food plan for today.

I haven't totally 'run away' from 3fc. I still, always, write down my daily gratitudes at the 100lb club.

I was with my family for nine days after little Maya Jane was born. I cooked alot and put things in the freezer for them to have later on. Lot's a food emphasis.

We will be celebrating DH's 60th birthday with 'the kids' this long weekend. I am looking forward to being with them. However, not looking forward to facing the food. But, alas - I will always have to face the food.

Last week was the plant swap. It went well. I announced it would be the last year I'd be doing it. I think other people will do it. I feel kind of sad about it. It's eleven years I've been doing it. It's too hard physically for me. Phooey.

I have had some 'good intentions' lately. Planned to eat well when I went to take care of my sister for ten days. But, I didn't. I had thought I could eat better when I was taking care of my family after Maya was born but. I didn't. I tried not to eat after our dear aunt passed away - but, did not find the willingness. I am in the 'tomorrow' frame of mind. Actually, I am in the 'wait to eat better whenl all the challenges pass' frame of mind. But, life is always about challenges. I have worked the Beck plan/approach before. I'll try again.

One meal at a time...planning first.

Thanks for listening and understanding.

gardenerjoy
05-23-2012, 09:13 AM
I'm trying to notice that I'm not as stressed as I might be. I'm working toward a writing deadline for an online class, doing lots of little things to prepare for our trip, and generally not managing to complete my daily to do list. But I'm getting a lot done and I still have time and most of what's left are things it would be good to do, not things that must be done. There's still plenty of time and while I feel busy, when I take time to notice, I'm not that stressed. It's good to notice, because I've used stress as an excuse to eat in the past, so if I am attentive to a lower level of stress, then the power of that excuse diminishes.

WI: +0.5kgs, Exercise: +75 990/1400 minutes for May, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: Our best packing tips ended up being new products. Since checked luggage is measured by adding the three dimensions, the biggest volume you can get to meet the requirements is a wheeled duffel, not a suitcase. Then, the big question was can we pack DH's two suits appropriately in a duffel and it turns out that this garment sleeve worked perfectly (http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-garment-sleeve/d/1093_c_211). Our other big discovery was the packing envelope that closes with velcro -- we were able to pack a large number of garments in a quite small space using those. Several companies make them, but here's a link to Eagle Creek's version: http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-folder-18/d/1091_c_211. They claim the clothes will be less wrinkled, too.
We thought that by taking a tour we were simplifying our first trip to Europe, but in one way we complicated it. We'll have 8 fine dining meals, with DH dressed in jacket and tie during our two-week trip. If we had planned a trip on our own, we wouldn't have planned more than two occasions of fine dining and would have been able to handle it with one sports jacket and one tie.

Beverlyjoy: Great to see you back on our thread. When I get worried about you, I go check the gratitude thread and I was happy to see you there!

Daimere
05-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Hello! I've recovered from my weekend! I wound up getting wonton soup and tried the sauted mushrooms (no). I wound up still losing. But the day I slept only 2 hours, I went up 3 pounds (daily weigher). I've been practicing the HOopfit. I don't know if it's just same since I've not really had the same muscle soreness. But my body could be adapting? I'm just afraid that I'm not good at making my own and I won't teach it well that would actually help people change their body? I think I may have classes lined up already! Eating okay-ish. Need to grocery shop bad!

Tazzy
05-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Hello All,

Pretty good day today food wise. Just had an omelet while DH & DS had a frozen pizza (cooked of course!). Had a bit of excitement at work when I got a call from an entertainer that was supposed to be on an airplane from Newark to Calgary at the time she called me, she was bumped from her flight and I need her here tomorrow for a big event. Just finally got an email that she's booked for early tomorrow morning and all will work out. Never once thought of reaching for food to solve the problem so that's a credit.

BBE I had a good laugh at You mean for the rest of the summer you'll just send the butler out to gather whatever the cook needs for dinner? You mean it doesn't work that way, I'm sure I'm bought the seeds with that option. Being I'm the head chef in this house, guess I know who will be reaping the harvest. But I really enjoy puttering around the garden so it's all good. We've had rain for the last couple of days and more expected tomorrow so at least I have not had to water anything.

Daimere I've read a lot on the boards here that lack of sleep affects our weight, hopefully that's the cause of your gain.

Gardenerjoy I'll have to refer back to your message about packing next time I plan to travel. I'm the type that puts everything in the suitcase a week or so ahead and then starts taking things out before leaving!

Beverlyjoy Credit for taking it one meal at a time.

maryann Credit for resisting sundae's, not sure I could have done that.

I have my big event tomorrow night, found shoes shopping yesterday so that solved the "what to wear" dilemma. Need to go and get organized now so everything is ready to go in the morning as I'll get ready at work and go from there. Food is passed appetizers and food stations, will try to keep to my 3 bite rule and plan to only have 1 drink. Looking forward to being a guest at an event for a change.

Have a good evening everyone :wave:

BillBlueEyes
05-24-2012, 04:23 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Good day with food, CREDIT moi. Particularly liked that all snacks were on plan.

Also a good day with exercise, CREDIT moi. This gardening stuff is always more exercise than I expect. DW and I planted the tomatoes, Swiss Chard, and various greens. First, she had me dig out all the weeds by crawling around on my hands and knees with a trowel - in the same locations I'd already done this a few weeks ago. You'd think they'd remember. We had to whack back the sage bush with a vengeance so there was room for the others - what an aggressive grower. Walked to the library and did gym.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for reduced stress; hope it's contagious. Thanks for the packing tips. When I told a well-traveled friend about them, she immediately replied, "You can get those in all sizes at Eagle Creek." Apparently, that place is well known. Just read in the news that libraries are in tension on whether to stock 50 Shades of Gray. This, of course, drove me to immediately request it from my library to find out why. If your DH were soliciting votes, I'd vote for a blue blazer and two ties.

Beverlyjoy – Congrats for holding firm despite such a challenging few weeks. Neat that you stocked the freezer for Maya's family. Gotta love, "One meal at a time...planning first."

Tazzy - Here's hoping that entertainer is on the plane this morning. Have a fun evening - as guest - well armed with your new shoes and "3 bite rule."

Daimere – Neat that you're examining your exercise to be sure it's the full workout. Maybe one of your fellow graduates would review a video to see if they spot any slacking off. Yay for potential students so you can pass the torch.

social event skills
To handle social events with ease, you will use many of the skills already presented in this chapter. Here are some additional suggestions:. . .Eat smaller portions, if necessary. What do you do if there are no options that are on your plan? Eat less than you ordinarily would eat at home. You've already proven to yourself that hunger is not an emergency.. . .Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 152.

Beverlyjoy
05-24-2012, 07:03 AM
Hi Beck Folks - Yesterday was a healthy day... first in a long time. I am so grateful. I found the willingness to make a plan/measure/log my food, did some journalling, was more aware of eating seated, had lots of water, read my cards, and felt some determination again. Grateful, grateful, grateful!

I lost two pounds from yesterday's weigh in - but, overnight... it's probably water weight. But, it counts. We'll see what tomorrow brings on the scale.

My garbage disposal went 'crazy' and start spirting water and 'gunk' under the sink and out the top, etc. It was mostly egg yokes. Ugh... I tried to discenfect everything (salmonella). BUT... I didn't binge. Am grateful for that

gardenerjoy - it's so kind that you 'look' for me at the gratitude thread when I am not posting here. Thanks.

I must get to the grocery today and get a few things. I must start to prepare to face a long weekend of food out of my food comfort zone. It is what it is. I'll read my cards and try to get my strategy set.

Have a GREAT day, everyone.

Lexxiss
05-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Hi Beck friends!

I weighed this morning...down another .5 so I'm at 190 even. It works for me as I've been hovering a few pounds above ticker. Yesterday food was OP, with the exception of my (one) after work snack which I had not accounted for. credit for not having two.

I find I'm using different strategies with meal planning. One I've used with success was to write the day plan on a pretty pad next to the fridge. When we got back from our trip I was out of touch with what we had on hand and too busy to look. I decided to have the same dinner for 3 nights (buffalo burgers, salad, cottage cheese and veggies). It worked. I'm still busy so will do a repeat with red salmon (just back from Alaska). I'll vary the prep with the fish and add salad and veggies. credit.

I had to go right back to work after our return and it left all kinds of unpacked stuff. Knowing my clutter affects my food choices I made a plan.
1. buy fresh veggies/fruit for smoothies....clean and put away
2. clean and organize kitchen
3. take everything out of suitcases and stow away the bags
4. put away everything I could
5. bring the rest to my office (accomplished this morning)
6. work on finishing up by Friday
This worked well. I'm drinking a smoothie in the office (prepared by DH) and the rest of the house is clutter free. It feels ok having the bulk in this small space and I find I'm getting through it much faster. I've set all the trip receipts in one area and I'll get it all tallied on a sheet and put in my 2012 taxes file. I know it will be so much simpler doing it now than on Apr.13 2013. credit.

BillBlueEyes, yes, that gardening is quite a bit of work. Yay for a day OP!

Beverlyjoy, glad you are back, and especially that you are armed with your Beck plan.

:wave: everyone else. I leave for Denver in 27 minutes. We're 25 miles West and 2500 higher. Kirk just informed me it's snowing. Oh, joy!

gardenerjoy
05-24-2012, 10:47 AM
My weight is up this morning after my first day with a second snack in a while. Probably a late supper of stir-fry with soy sauce didn't help either. Credit for exercising on a busy day and being more on plan than off.

WI: +0.3kgs, Exercise: +50 1040/1400 minutes for May, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I haven't read 50 Shades of Grey yet -- but I've read lots of reviews. So, I can tell you not to expect great literature, but apparently it's a page-turner. DH saw this on the news last night, too, so we've been having good discussions. What's the difference between erotica and porn? Where is the line between hot romance and erotica? Is it porn if there are no pictures? Why do women want stories and men want photographs? If libraries have 50 Shades of Grey, why not Playboy: The Complete Centerfolds? I just checked--a few public libraries actually do shelve that book in the 700s, with the art books. Fun to think of conversations like that happening in the staff rooms of libraries around the country.

maryann
05-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Good Afternoon, Coaches.

I, like Beverleyjoy, can say I had a healthy eating day. Today is Day 5 OP which is a miracle run considering the last several months. I have sat while I ate, although twice it was in the car between meetings. I have not chocolate foraged at school. The scale has gone down a pound and of course I think it should be more. But I ignore those feelings.

Mantra when an urge for chocolate comes: I'd rather resist it at 161 pounds than 175 pounds and I will have to resist it at some point.

BillBlueEyes
05-25-2012, 06:49 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another on plan day with the food, CREDIT moi. Evening was easier because I was out until 9:30 which didn't leave time for over snacking.

Exercise was a walk, CREDIT moi, that included Whole Foods for peanut butter and coffee where I carefully planned to snarf only one FREE item - the first fruit when I walked in the door - and then leave the rest alone. I did that. I ignored five offerings of FREE cheeses and crackers. The cube of watermelon was all the sweeter when not immediately replaced.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, soy-sauce does that finger wagging water weight thing. [So I repeated your discussion with DW about 50 Shades of Gray. She delegated me to read it and report back. Seems that gardeners don't have time for erotica during the spring and summer, LOL.]

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I think I can buy buffalo burger around here, but don't think of it since there are no buffalo in sight when I drive in the country. Gotta try that since I recall that they're lower fat or something.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for a healthy day with its (symbolic) two pound loss. Ouch for a garbage disposal with a mind of its own.

maryann - Gonna steal that manta, "I'd rather resist it at 161 pounds than 175 pounds and I will have to resist it at some point." Kudos for again avoiding the chocolate foraging.

social event skills
To handle social events with ease, you will use many of the skills already presented in this chapter. Here are some additional suggestions:. . .Sit down to eat. You just won't be able to appreciate every bite if you eat while standing. If there aren't any chairs, be creative. What would you do if you had a broken leg? You'd have to find a place to sit down. Perhaps you can find a step to sit or ask for a chair.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 152.

Artemis__
05-25-2012, 07:04 AM
Hello Coaches,

I'm just checking in to let you all know I'm still on board.
I've been travelling and will be doing so a lot until the middle of June. My internet opportunities are very limited. I've often found that travel is a big contributor to my weight gain, so while I am at home this weekend I plan to read Day 32 I believe it is in the original book that talks about this.
I'm not really following the book just yet, but I am trying to be careful about what I'm eating, ie not using this time as an excuse to overeat because soon I'll be going on a diet, which is another trap I've frequently fallen into!

I'll be making my full commitment when I get back home in June, because then I've got a solid 10 weeks at home before I am travelling again to really get to work on this.

Daimere
05-25-2012, 09:12 AM
I've been eating okay-ish again. I only was 75% successfull on eating sitting down. I try to eat my lunch on the clock so I can hula hoop on my breaks. That was a time, I had to stand at the front desk for 15 minutes. Although it was within my calories and planned, so better than a binge in front of the fridge! My weight still seems to be a pound or two heavier. :( I don't know if it could be lack of water. I've been having a very hard time drinking 5 cups of water, let alone at least 8. This weekend at the training, I was drinking at least 56 oz(?) in a morning. I finally broke into my savings and bought me some sleeping medicine. Hopefully, sleeping will be a bit easier for me. I'm way under calories today (even counting the veggies I ate) but I really didn't feel super hunger until I walked the dog. Now, I'm about to go to bed. I kinda don't want to eat before I lay down.

On the hoop news, I found out I did get my vacations! I'm going to PlayThink Movement festival and 4-H camp. I might make back up plans if Playthink doesn't work out. I also do not have mot the days that I needed to work only 8 hours. I'm going to try to start sporadic evening hoopdance classes at a martial arts studio plus the fitness studio.

I'm worried the most about 4-H camp cause I remember somedays I'd so overeat certain foods, especially breakfast. I'm not really comfortable eating real breakfast foods at all. I do believe I can control my eating at lunch and dinners (also my mom said there is a salad bar now for BOTH meals which for me salad + most of the regular meal, no seconds) but I can't say no to sausages, gravies, pancakes, bacons. I'm wondering if I could see if I can bring my own breakfast. I pretty much don't eat breakfast foods anymore since working night shift. I'll eat cereal only cause it's lighter than anything else for when I go to bed. Or maybe I shouldn't care. I mean, surely I can't eat myself into gaining weight at 4-H camp if I just eat mindfully? I just hate losing control when I feel like I can't even stock up on veggies and fruits like I do with most meals.

Beverlyjoy
05-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Hi Becksters.... yesterday was mostly OK. I had a plan.. but changed it a little when I had a stomach ache and switched to a popsycle, toast & cherrios. I was only a hundred calories over for the day. I am grateful for the willingness to NOT eat a sleeve of saltines. Yesterday I made my plan/measured/logged, did my exercise, quite a bit of water, read my book & cards, ate mostly sitting,and tried to eat slower. I am making progress. A few credits.

This weekend we will be with family. I am going to make the best effort to have food sanity. I think I'll stay away from sugar... sometimes it's a springboard to unhealthy/overeating. We will celebrate DH's birthday. I suggested steaks, salad, garlic bread, & asparagus. I know our DIL will make a pretty cake. One bite is ok...half a cake (sneeking it later) is not.

Our neighbor put in a new garbage disposal for us. DH went to Lowes to get it. It's nice to have helpful neighbors. It saved us alot of money, really. DH is always helping him with projects, as well.

Even though I can't plan everything meal and snack for the next four days. I can try to make good choices. I will try not to approach this as a - I'll start Tuesday time. I hope. I am reading and writing my Beck things.

I need to get ready to leave. I'll see. Have a great weekend.

Thanks to everyone for being so supportive and helpful.

maryann
05-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Good Morning, Coaches.

I look forward to today, Day 6 OP. A miracle. Resistance seems slightly easier because I don't want to break my streak. Credit for continuing to juice. Credit for step class today. Weight down 1 pound. I have Promotion Dance from 7:00 to 10:00. I will allow myself a Diet Cherry Soda and have a filling dinner before. I do not like the last week activities. I don't like saying good by. Lots of emotions come up like "I didn't do enough" or "I don't get enough appreciation" or "I get too much appreciation". This all makes me very hungry.

Artemis and Daimere: I completely understand the fears of being away and over eating. I spent many a day at science camps stuffing my face, missing out on every other experience because I was obsessed with food. For me, being home is much easier. My most successful plan in traveling circumstances was to eat only one meal out. I ate fruit and oatmeal with protein powder for breakfast in my room and then had cheese, cold cuts or protein bars plus veggies for another meal. At least then , I could limit the chaos. This got me through two weeks at Disneyworld and weeks at a family reunion.

gardenerjoy
05-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Since Artemis brought up travel, I'll remind myself of my best practices while traveling. In the last couple of years, I almost always lose weight when I travel by following completely new strategies.

I rarely snack when I travel even though my normal routine at home is two snacks a day. This makes up for any excess calories that I can't see in the restaurant meals (that pat of butter that goes on the steak just before it leaves the kitchen and has completely melted by the time it reaches the table). Travel is distracting so skipping snacks isn't as difficult as it would be at home.

Even though I rarely snack, I always have some kind of snack food in the room and/or in my bag. The presence of that snack keeps me from overeating at meals. Sometimes when I'm traveling, it's literally true that I don't know where my next meal is coming from. That thought can lead to overeating the meal in front of me, but not if I know there is a snack stored away in case that meal doesn't materialize. Of course, in the US, and I assume Ireland, the next meal does arrive, right on schedule.

Focus on veggies. And, to a lesser degree fruit. I almost never get as many of either as I would eat at home, so I grab every opportunity to maximize my consumption.

Pay attention to portion sizes. If it's bigger than what I would eat at home, then leave some behind and make sure to thoroughly enjoy the bites that I do take.

This last one is new to me. My weight was up a few pounds in the middle of May and I realized that if I let it stay up there I would be less motivated to be careful what I ate in Ireland. So, I got determined to bring it back down to the low end of my maintenance weight. At this weight, I'm feeling much more motivated to follow all of my practices above. I'm even secretly hoping to be at a new low when I get home. Having that as a goal will contribute to my willingness to eat carefully, but with great pleasure, while I'm on my trip.

WI: -0.35 kgs, Exercise: +20 1060/1400 minutes for May, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Daimere: We frequently travel with breakfast food, although that won't be an option for the Ireland trip. It starts my day off right to eat something healthy for breakfast and that helps my motivation to continue eating well for the rest of the day. It's easy to pack cold cereal and milk or yogurt in a small cooler to go with it. I would have to stay away from the mess during breakfast to pull that off, I suspect, because just the smell of sausages can be hard to resist. Would it help to tell yourself that you'll eat breakfast in the mess on the last day of camp but you're going to stick to your own breakfast on the other days?

Lexxiss
05-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi Coaches!

It seems we have our weekend planning already in the works. credit.

Yesterday turned into one of those days where I'd say "the heck with it" and turn to my worst food choices (donuts and fast food) for immediate gratification. We have big family events this weekend and yesterday DH just "checked out" of the process. He just stopped participating in ANY decisions and sat in the car while I took care of all the details. We were in Denver and his DD was flying in (right over us) while we took mom to her appt. She's here for the other DD's baby shower on Sunday and is the one he has had very minimal contact with since his divorce 25 years ago. We got home late and my planned dinner not happening was feeding right into my sabotaging thoughts of donuts.

Answer: remember my Beck program. I needed to make a legitimate change in my dinner menu. I went to the store and resisted any and all junk. I purchased items for a healthy meal and subsituted some Kashi whole grain fruit bars for all the awful things I was imagining. credit. It felt absolutely great to be in the grocery store fully under control of what I was going to purchase. Yay!

I weighed this morning and as expected, the scale was up, as I had consumed a considerable amount of coffee before remembering. I almost said skip it for the day, but since I weigh everyday I hopped on anyway.

Today is Dim Sum with DD's. I will be mindful and grateful for working on the skills which allow that to be possible.

BBE, great strategy at WF! I practice that one myself because it helps me to actually "taste" super healthy foods in small quantities.

MaryAnn, kudos for OP days! I so relate to your mantra regarding maintaining our current losses. Looking down the road ahead I KNOW it is easier to resist today than it is 15 pounds later. Gratitude.

BillBlueEyes
05-26-2012, 07:00 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - A day of eating on plan, CREDIT moi. Since breakfast and lunch don't include meat, it's a vegetarian day when dinner also doesn't. Yesterday was, with lentil soup for dinner with a big wad of kale on the side. Yay for dark green veggies since I just read, for the zillionth time, that they are the best thing we can do for our diets. Breakfast strawberries are in-season-local uber sweet. So very very yummy.

Gym, CREDIT moi, was uneventful. I watched a BIG guy bench press about 250 pounds. Lovely to watch since that's quite out of my range. I can dream.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat reminder that success breeds success, "At this weight, I'm feeling much more motivated to follow all of my practices above."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Just super, "remember my Beck program" and make changes. Have a fun, on plan, Dim Sum this morning.

Beverlyjoy – Sounds like clear thinking to me, " One bite is ok...half a cake (sneeking it later) is not." Enjoy all that family time.

maryann - What a powerful bunch of Sabotaging Thoughts to face each end of year. Kudos for recognizing in advance that they're coming so you can have some Helpful Responses prepared. Something like, It was a full maryann year - sometimes folks see that in its right size, sometimes not.

Daimere – Kudos for thinking in advance about your eating at 4-H camp. I, too, have trouble with sausages when presented at a breakfast buffet even though I never have them at home. They're part of the comfort food thinking from childhood. You'd think that I could just savor the smell, recall the memories, and move on to a sane breakfast, but I have to wrestle myself past them every time. If bringing your own breakfast works that sounds like a much better idea than dancing with the notion "maybe I shouldn't care."

Artemis__ – Oh yes, travel presents challenges. Kudos for reviewing day 32 for some strategies. When I travel for work, I add feelings about being put out about evenings away from my family. It's a subtle, Woe is me kind of thing just below rational thinking level so it creeps in where I can't easily counter it with a reminder that travel also presents opportunities. Good to keep reading your goals, including "165 for cruise December 2012,"

social event skills
I don't expect you to be perfect the first time you go to a social event. As with eating out, social events require you to practice many skills at once. You may make mistakes at first. But practice makes perfect, and you will improve. You will transition from thinking, It's so unfair that I couldn't eat what I wanted, to the liberating thought I'm so glad I don't have to worry about losing control of my eating at social events ... I can just go and have a good time.

gardenerjoy
05-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Lots of exercise in the garden yesterday -- weeding, harvesting, thinning, and (especially) mulching. I've got a friend who will water, but probably not as well as I would so I'm trying to have my garden as clean, neat, and protected as possible before we leave.

WI: -0.1 kgs, Exercise: +120 1180/1400 minutes for May, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Beverlyjoy
05-26-2012, 01:20 PM
A quick hello. Yesterday went well. DH and I went out to dinner on the way. It was a grilled salmon salad with feta. I put aside half of the feta cheese and didn't eat it. It amazes me how sometimes I can and other times I cannot. But, I am doing lots of my Beck tasks and it is helpful.

Credits.. for
writing it all down
lots of water
read arc/rc
very aware of putting fork down between bites
trying to really taste the food
exercises

It's a good start back. Have a great weekend.

onebyone
05-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Coaches

My hands are achey and tired today. Probably from fist-clenching, maybe also from lifting and toting, certaily not from finger-wagging though that is only from extraordinary self-restraint (see fist-clenching). I went to Ottawa and visited my mom, staying over for 3 nights. My Key West sister was there too, and we agreed it really takes two of us to emotionally handle our mom. I elected not to call my brother or sister to let them know I was in town. I thought, you know, of we were in touch they'd know I was going to be there, but we aren't so they don't and ... truth be told, once my mom knows I am in town it is all about her: seeing her, entertaining her, making sure she's got what she needs for the foreseeable future and then just simply spending as much time with her as I can stand/have because, always always always it's in the back of my mind "She's doing ok this visit. Pay attention. Be fully with her. You have no guarantee she'll be this well next time you see her." This fact is so emotionally draining/tiring/depressing and yet I am grateful I am fully conscious of it all. BUT. We ate. All of us. Together. We ate too much. And then when i got home yesterday, exhausted, after I unpacked the car from the trip and packed it for the farmer's market and a 6:30am start today I gave in and had a super fatty fast food item that I have been craving for weeks. But at the market today I resisted all sweet things and all meat snacks... but I ate nothing at all. So I came home super depressed (bad sales--in fact I OWE a customer 45 cents due to a lack of change on a $3 card sale... vowing I was giving up all markets now because my mother is dying... did you guess I can be a bit dramatic? Uh. yeah.) So DH went out and got us food and geez Louise it was 3x the calorie bomb that I chose yesterday. But I start again. Get on the scale tomorrow and have already re-set my goals. I don't head to Ottawa again until the fall and my art performance, unless I do a couple of art shows inbetween. I may. I may not.

Anyway all that to say I'm back and back on track. Nice to be home and with you all.

maryann
05-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Good Evening, Coaches.

Friday was not strictly OP - some cupcake frosting and half a cookie at 10 pm but I am calling it a success. Today is as planned. I checked restaurant's menu online and ordered the healthiest dish. I am proud of myself for that. No exercise today but went shopping with DS and I realized how much I enjoy his company. It sounds strange but he really is the love of my life. I could deny or moderate it but that is the truth. I adore DH but each moment I spend with my son seems like such a precious gift. I know I only experience these feelings when food is in its proper prospective. So for today, I am truly grateful.

Lexxiss: Congrats for continuing on when DH abdicated responsibility. When my DH does that I always feel a little abandoned and a lot hungry.
BBE: Congrats on a vegetarian day. I think we are all supposed to have those more than not.

Shout out to the rest.

BillBlueEyes
05-27-2012, 05:37 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another day on plan, CREDIT moi. It feels good to have the snacks thing back under control.

Spent the day doing stuff; never got around to exercise - Ouch. Life certainly seems to filled with stuff. Stuff expands to consume all space and time. I spent part of the day sitting on my patio in the lovely weather reading a book that annoys me, The Tell-Tale Brain, by V. S. Ramachandran. Great topic, neat stories, yet swamped by a sexist, sophomoric ego constantly taking credit for his research. Even if he deserves the credit, my interest is the evolution of the brain, not him. I need to get my Oliver Sacks fix some other way, LOL.

onebyone – Sending supportive thoughts for the reality of all the feelings that go with your mother's situation. Kudos for "back on track."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for mulch - the grand solution to many problems in the garden. The news continues: a county in Florida has reversed itself and restocked 50 Shades of Gray. The waiting list at a New York Library is more than four thousand. From time to time I forget that banning a book can seriously improve sales.

Beverlyjoy – Monster Kudos for leaving half the feta cheese. Wish that I had read that without thinking that I'd have finished it for you, LOL. I love feta cheese.

maryann - Thanks for "I only experience these feelings when food is in its proper prospective" - reminding me that over eating can overwhelm all my other feelings.

Memory Box Cards
The first time you stay in control at one of these events and find it meaningful, file that experience in your Memory Box. For example, Laurie wrote:Memory Card
I went to Kevin's Football party. He served pizza, wings,
and lots of chips, but I stuck to my plan. I used my
skills, stayed in control, and felt great! Now I know I can
eat pizza and stay in control. It's such a great feeling!

gardenerjoy
05-27-2012, 09:47 AM
A big jump in my weight. It's partly do to our greens dish with the soy sauce, but I've proven to myself several times that it's possible to get a down tic in the scale even when that's on the plan for supper. So, I'll blame the out-sized snacks. I'll go back to one snack today and measure it carefully.

WI: +0.65 kgs, Exercise: +55 1235/1400 minutes for May, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: Yay for this: "I'm back and back on track." Plus an observation that is a quick turn-around for you -- yay! I think a gradual improvement in how fast I got back on track has been a key factor in my weight loss. So, yay, again, for getting back on track quickly! And a suggestion to think through, now, what might get you back on track even more quickly next time.

BillBlueEyes said "From time to time I forget that banning a book can seriously improve sales." The rest of the country calls that the "Banned in Boston" effect. Do you call it that in Boston?

onebyone
05-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Hi Coaches

I circled the house 3x looking for an outdoor electrical outlet. Found many, many,many cable entrances and exits, lots of junction boxes, but no wall plug. I wanted to plug my little netbook, with the bad worn-out battery, into the wall so I could go online outside. Instead I have the big orange extension cord out the front door. I'm on my front porch. Here, front porch sitting is weird behaviour. Eccentric even, but until I have a new battery for my netbook, and so long as the weather is this nice, I'll be on the front porch. Surburban town you'd just better get used to it.

I *credit* weighed in this morning: 263.4. Yikes. 8lbs up from my last weigh in which will be two weeks ago this coming Thursday. probably I am really up 3lbs. Lots of extra sodium this ast week and esecially leading into the weekend and yesterday. Today I am watching everything. I am NOT returning to 260-something for very long. more like I want to see that 240-something AND LESS. I know what needs to be done to get that ball rolling and I am doing it. Time to chunk down again.

I have two applications to get done for art grant monies. June 1st is the deadline. They are local grants and when I went to the information meeting for them I found out they get between 10 and 15 applicants for this grant. That was seriously shocking as I am used to fighting for grants with 10-20x that amount of people! So better get on it. I'd like to be done before the deadline is breathing down my neck.

Have a great Sunday!

BillBlueEyes
05-28-2012, 05:51 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Good enough on eating plan, CREDIT moi, especially since I faced four events providing some sort of food. I avoided standard packaged cookies at one, even though they were a favorite kind. Just used the old, I can always have those another day. The easiest event was the fourth, a concert, because I was simply wrong - no food was served! Hard to keep a straight face giving myself credit for that one, LOL. The real joy echoes Beck's quote of today; there were thousands of extra calories offered that I didn't have.

Exercise was just walking to all the places we went.

onebyone – Yay for sitting on the front porch. That's considered odd around here also except in the neighborhood with the smallest yards and NO front porches where sitting on the front steps or in lawn chairs on the sidewalk is standard. It's a friendly feeling even when just walking by as an outsider. I've nursed an old laptop well past its useful life with a constant extension cord.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I know about this one, "out-sized snacks" - neat that you plan an immediate response. Banned in Boston, LOL. Yep, we say that here without the slightest flinch - as if that was some odd place far away.]

How wonderful it is to go to bed after a special event or celebration and feel so good that you followed your plan, when you could have easily consumed thousands of extra calories.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 153.

Lexxiss
05-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Hi Coaches!

I'm still onboard, but have just completed some very busy days. Food...so so...but I did make some efforts. I did weigh today and will use the information (quite high) to motivate me to really get back on track with my healthy eating.

Yesterday I spent 9 hours in a park with lots of food, none which I brought and nothing really on my plan. I usually bring my own yet this time it was just not possible. As parents, we were neck high in chores which would facilitate the event being what Kirk's DD wanted. I did use my resistance skills with some of the worst-dried out burgers and boxed potato/macaroni salad. I did observe that while I did have more than usual, it was far-far less than it used to be. Major credits were refusing to take home vast quantities of store bought cake AND stifling the urge to stop for something on the way home. It was late, I wasn't hungry and I was very tired. I bit my nails instead, which is uncommon for me these days and was an 'indication" that all of the above were true.

I'm off to work this morning armed with my own food. credit. I'm grateful for the ability to start anew.

gardenerjoy
05-28-2012, 10:06 AM
My weight is back down where I want it. Daily weigh-ins are really working for me -- it's easy to fix a problem within 24 hours when I have the data to know that there might be a problem. I think morning posts here at the Beck group are helping as well. It helps me think about what I want to do today.

WI: -0.75 kgs, Exercise: +45 1280/1400 minutes for May, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: good job weighing in and getting a jump on your grant applications -- good luck!

BillBlueEyes: yay for food events that turn out not to have food!

Lexxiss: thanks for this: "I'm grateful for the ability to start anew." That's what I was trying to say, but I like your phrasing better.

TamTam
05-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Happy Memorial Day! We have closed all 3 shops today, so I get to do laundry and dishes and paper work :D Yeah me!! No, actually I am grateful for the day off! Saturday hubby and I worked in one of our stores, we had no lunch and there is a Church's chicken place near our shop, so hubby went and got us each a 2 piece dinner with cream potatoes and biscuit. I have to admit not the best lunch-BUT- I ate the chicken (one leg and small thigh) ate maybe half the biscuit and about 1/3 the potatoes, so although not a great meal, there was a time when I would have eaten it all, I just threw what I did not want in the trash AND did not regret doing so, so I think this is a good credit for that meal.

maryann
05-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Good Morning,

Beautiful day here in California. I am trying to allow myself to enjoy a long time internet surfing and a second cup of coffee. There is a voice inside my head saying, "For Goodness Sake, get productive." Later on I will take a long walk and grade papers. DS needs an easy day; he has been doing double time at baseball games, car races and a county fair. Credit for the fair. I brought a to go container of peanut butter and an already melted low carb tortilla with cheese and that was all I ate except two snack size packages of jelly beans. I didn't even have a Diet Coke. I was aided in all this by my cheapness. I was not going to pay fair prices. Picked the lowest calorie menu item for dinner at a nice restaurant. Rewarded with a drop of .2. This is not outstanding but it is better than going up.
While surfing this morning I read a shocking statistic - 70% of menopausal women are overweight. I am not there yet but I am determined to avoid that fate. Still it does seem hopeless at times. I will renew my efforts today. I will juice, exercise. Oh yes. I splurged on a LE Creusette (?) cast iron pizza pan to finally be able to master my chickpea pizza. The pan has to be able to go from stove top to boiler yet be non stick. This is a tall order. Can't wait to try it.

Gardenerjoy: I believe in weighing everyday, as well. It is not always easy but it is a dose of reality.
Lexxiss: Congrats on choosing fingernails over extra food; one is far less damaging than the other.
CatholicCajun: I am a huge fan of throwing food away. It has been a corner stone in my weight loss. It is not always easy because my husband is a "clean the plate guy. " I have to throw it away before he eats it.
BBE:Ouch for missing exercise, credit for caring that you did.

onebyone
05-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Coaches

Not the best food day; a bit worse than bad but not nearly as bad as the worst.

*credit* for weighing in: -1.5 to 261.9
I had a plan, and then I chucked it aside as I heaped the (internal) pressure onto myself. I did get some long overdue things started: dishes being the main one and my grant application is 3/4 done, including a new painting showing the jury what it is EXACTLY that I am proposing to do. I can't believe I had that 20x30 paiting inside me this afternoon. Sometimes they just come. Yay for my subconsious mind once again.

Tomorrow I get to see my new 18' x 18' garden plot. I was sure something went wrong and the community gardens just weren't going to happen but I was wrong. Guess I'll be planting in this super hot weather. We hit 90F today + humidity, but it feels fine. In fact, I am loving it.

Ok off to bed for me. G'night everyone.

BillBlueEyes
05-29-2012, 06:24 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Good enough on eating plan, CREDIT moi, even though Memorial Day is a standard too-much-food day in my history.

Lots of exercise, CREDIT moi. Got in my trip to the gym early, CREDIT moi, so that the day could include an excursion to the sale on outdoor clothing to get my Keen water/hiking sandals for this summer. Which I did. As much as I hate shopping, I realized that it's leaving without the item I came to get that bugs me the most. So, actually buying something wasn't so bad. Then I joined DW to do 2.5 hours of weeding of bad invasive plants at our favorite public place. Weeding must be good exercise if I use my morning-after body as a gauge.

onebyone – Terrific that you taped into your subconscious mind for a painting. Apparently, Shamans have been using drugs to dig in there for centuries and you did it by simply using social pressure. An 18' x 18' plot is HUGE. You can feed the entire Beck forum, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for making the effort to know that a problem needs to be fixed.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – LOL at the joys of parenting, "worst-dried out burgers and boxed potato/macaroni salad."

maryann - LOL at being aided staying on plan by aversion to fair event prices. That works for me. Big Kudos for making the leap to the Le Creuset pan to help making your healthy chickpea pizza.

Tammy (CatholicCajun) – Yep, Kudos for tossing half that biscuit. I don't get biscuits very often, so have a hard time passing them by.

Special Advice for Entertaining at Home

Some dieters find it easier to stick to their plan when they host a special event at home where they control what is served; some find it harder because they have to spend more time thinking about shopping for, preparing, serving, and clearing away the food.

gardenerjoy
05-29-2012, 09:18 AM
My Memorial Day weekend was easy food-wise because we skipped the food-based events, using the excuse that we had too much to do before our first trip to Europe. That helped me get nice big weight drops the last two days. Woohoo!

I wish I felt as confident about the pre-trip to do list. But we're getting there. And there's a firm deadline, after all, so what's done by then will be what gets done.

WI: -0.5 kgs, Exercise: +45 1325/1400 minutes for May, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: yay for invasive plant destruction as spontaneous exercise!

onebyone: I agree with BillBlueEyes -- 18' x 18' is enormous. Are you going to plant some flowers, too? I have good luck with zinnia seeds and like having them on the edge of my vegetable garden for some fun color.
Yay for getting a painting done when you needed it.

CatholicCajun: throwing away food is still one I struggle with. The Jimmy John's sandwich that I vowed to eliminate has made a reappearance in our distractedness over getting ready for the trip. But, I've got a better plan now -- I throw away half of the cheese and two thirds of the meat. That works because I had it yesterday and still got a nice down tic in my weight this morning.

maryann: my research in menopause provided a study result that motivates me every day -- women who exercise 30 minutes or more a day have fewer hot flashes.

onebyone
05-29-2012, 02:17 PM
A Tuesday Hello to my Coaches

I saw my garden plot. It was a shocker backed by a truth-is-stranger-than-fiction story. I've attached 3 images of my garden plot. The far view, with the guy with the whipper-snipper, shows my full plot. He's doing my neighbours' weeds. My plot is inbetween the wooden stakes closest to you, the viewer. It has a full 18x18 or 324ft. sq. of full grown weeds--many nice big thistles. So I said to the lady giving me the plot "Um, are these getting roto-tilled?" That the soil wasn't turned made me think the gardens were a big NO for this season. Well, the story is the man who turns the soil is farmer, and a double amputee and he fell off a ladder and broke one of his (prosthetic) legs and hurt himself and now no one can reach him and the season is here and she's looking into Home Depot donating a large roto-tiller during the week for a couple of days that a volunteer student could man and do the garden plots. This is all just in the "what if" phase.
Way way too many places that could go wrong/not happen in my view, and it's June at the end of the week and I am in the northern hemisphere. It's a short growing season. I felt like offering to donate the $85/day it costs to rent the tiller for 24hrs and to use it on anyone's plot who wants it. But, what I will probably do, is double dig the garden plot with a shovel. The whipper-snipper will have cut down the big tall weeds and really it's just gardening work and awesome exercise if I don't wreck my back. Right now the ground is so hard and dry but we're supposed to get some good rain today and throughout the week, so that would make it easier to dig. Anyway, other than this I HAVE A GARDEN!

*credit* for weighing in: -3.3 = 258.6 today. I suspect that's it for the big drops due to water. I am THRILLED to be under 260 once more. Now to be under 250.... digging up a garden would certainly move me in that direction.

*credit* for eating sitting down and having a real meal and not grazing as I have all week. *credit* as well for slathering my bread with a very calorie-dense spread and then, on observation and reflection, for scraping off a little more than half of the spread from the sandwich before I ate it. I didn't need all that extra stuff.

*credit* for standing in line at the Walmart checkout, eyeing every-single-one of the chocolate snacks, and conjuring up the memory of how they taste or the desire to try the new ones and then, as the line moved forward, applying BBE's phrase to the lot of them "that's not about me". I was sad to acknowledge that, yet amazed that this simple phrase is so very very effective. NONE of these useless "food" items came home with me, making my fresh, gigantic carbon footprint, strawberries from California all the sweeter.

Yum.

Have a great Tuesday.

BillBlueEyes
05-30-2012, 06:35 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was exactly on plan, CREDIT moi. I need a steady string of these to get past my enthusiastic snacking days. Nearly destroyed a pint of salad tomatoes trying to extract a few from a conical pastic container we've never purchased before. Couldn't figure out how to get in. I'm used to the simple clam shells. DW saved me by suggesting that I read the label on the top - which read "Open Here." A simple peel back label over a hollow top like a volcano. Just wasn't expecting a RTFM situation for tomatoes, LOL.

Exercise, CREDIT moi, was both a short walk and a long walk to test drive my new Keen sandals. They're great. I deliberately walked up a short hill to see that they do support the feet off of level ground. And better yet, I like them. Yay for new toys.

onebyone – Ouch - so close to having a garden and hitting that snag. You could also consider just clearing a small portion of your lot for a few tomato plants or whatever. I've turned our 10' by 10' space without killing myself. Methinks you're right that you've got to get jumping since the season waits for no one.

BIG Congrats for breaking through the 260 barrier. Decade milestones are sweet.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for the equanimity, "what's done by then will be what gets done" - wish I knew how to figure out how to extend that to be so calm about everything else in life.

Here are some ideas for you to consider:

Have a firm plan. Avoid making spontaneous decisions. Read your Response Cards and Advantages Deck ahead of time to remind yourself of the reasons it's worth it to stick to your plan.
. . .

Lexxiss
05-30-2012, 06:56 AM
Hi Coaches!

Yesterday life felt pretty out of control and after preparing and enjoying my healthy dinner I went out of control with food. My extra food wasn't that bad, but the extraneous stuff is daunting to me right now. As I sit here this morning I continue to recognize that through all of this I must keep myself a priority. This morning I am able to break some of the stuff into tiny steps, which might help. We have a baby coming, 3 houses which all have projects and maintenance laid out, we're short a gal at work, DH has short circuited and I feel right now that there's no way things are going to work out. Ah, the feeling/emotion which triggered my overeating last night.

This morning I am moving forward by taking care of the things that are right in front of me. I am putting things away in the house (still finding stuff from Alaska trip) and will pack a lunch for work. Mom and I travel over the hill right after work for 2-1/2 days. *credit* for working out the details so DH has a break, which gives me a break. He went over yesterday and can stay a week which may give me some time to myself to reorganize and re-prioritize. Perhaps I can make a start on the little houses next week by consulting with the electrician, plumber and window guys. This is all complicated by the fact that the city has the road closed (for most of the summer) which allows easy access in and out.

The best thing I can do is start making lists. If DH can regroup I will have some help.
Yesterday's credits:
~weighed
~smoothie for breakfast
~rode my bike to/from work
~healthy dinner

BBE, yay for tackling the invasive weeds and feeling those body spots which don't always get used. LOL at volcano tomato containers!

onebyone, your garden looks like quite a project. Kudos for a pleasing weigh in, and especially for backhauling the spread on your sandwich.

gardenerjoy, yay for resisting the food centered events with a valid excuse and for enjoying the resulting drop on the scale.

OK, I have 30 minutes before work. It will help my state of mind if I make some more progress here. Credit for checking in.

Beverlyjoy
05-30-2012, 08:23 AM
Home Sweet Home... we had a wonderful long weekend away. Loved spending time with my son's family and those grandkids! Best of all... I maintained my weight which was really my goal. YAY.

DH is on vacation this week and we have many things to do around the house and around town. He is putting in some garden paths so I can walk around the gardens on a level surface. I have an ankle that doesn't do well on uneven surfaces. He is such a dear person. We will get together with family and friends all week.

Now, I am back in my 'food comfort zone' and will plan to eat healthfully. - on my losing plan - not maintaining plan.

Lexxis/debbie - you said: I must keep myself a priority, It's the basics... YES! Thanks for this wonderful reminder.

I will try and get back for personals later.

Thanks so all for your kindness, wisdom and support - as always

gardenerjoy
05-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Revving up the excitement. Trying to not let this become a sabotaging thought: I have to eat everything in the house so that it doesn't go bad.

WI: +0.3 kgs, Exercise: +30 1355/1400 minutes for May, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: yay for new sandals propelling you to walk!

onebyone: I second BillBlueEyes idea to go smaller. As we both noted earlier, that's a huge plot for vegetables. You might consider loosening the soil in one small area, then dumping a few bags of compost on top of the weeds to create yourself a small planting area. Just plant in the compost -- the Missouri Botanical Garden does it that way (something DH reminds me every time I compare my vegetables to their much larger ones). Then you could work more slowly in the rest of the area to get it ready for next year. If you do end up using the shovel, I suggest keeping the working stints to less than half an hour and doing well-executed squats or lunges with each move. I spend the winter doing squats and lunges so that I have the strength to do them during the gardening season. Bending over is what damages backs, so bending the knees is required to get low enough to do the work.

Lexxiss: that does sound like a lot to deal with at one time. Take care of yourself!

Beverlyjoy: yay for a wonderful weekend and maintaining your weight -- woohoo!

TamTam
05-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Just a quick post before I head out to Church and then work. I did good with my eating yestersay, I did slip with a night time snack, but all in all a good day. The sad part about the night time snack was that I was not even hungry! I had intended to "play" on my lap top from the time after supper until bed time, but hubby came home and we sat under our new back yard gazeebo until 8:30-ish and came inside and had our snack around 9pm. and I knew better, but the Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak!! Gotta go. Have a blessed day. Tammy:hug:

Daimere
05-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Quick post: I'm alive and still working on this. The girl that inspired me to start again isn't still following her plan. That's a reason why I don't blast it one facebook anymore cause then everyone feels like they can judge. I've maintained the last two weeks. :/ I hope tonights weigh in will be better. I don't know if it's muscle soreness or I eat low on my nights off/no water (and the night before was a night off). I am also afraid that I am getting strep. So I'm skipping my barre workout (I already hooped 20 minutes today) and sleeping. I really don't want to get sick cause I have a very busy week/sick. I really would like to get out of the 240s soon! I even amped up my exercise by adding in some walk/runs

And good news! PlayThink will happen next week. So tons of hooping goodness to learn! Plus I have a free VIP ticket to Florida Flow Festival in November. My husband hasn't nixed the idea completely. I can bum a ride from my mother-in-law possibly and ride a plane back. This also means I have a goal to keep going for Flow Camp in October and Florida Flow Fest in November.

Also even though I've only been doing this hardcore for 20 days, I lost 1/2 inch on my hips! It's working! I'll take it (even if it's a missalignment of the tape measure!). Who knows what I can do in 30 days?!

I also talked to my mom about 4-H camp. I will be taking some healthy cereal and almond milk. I don't want to tell my mom that I'm watching my weight. Good think that milk also causes my sinuses icky issues. I'll eat my healthy cereal and if I'm still hungry, parts of the regular breakfast making sure to listen to my stomach, not my eyes. I really would like to maintain my weight (or lose) during camp. I just don't want to backpedal. The other meals I'll go heavy on salad (I luff salads) and no seconds.

TamTam
05-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Did good with my eating today. Hubby called me right before I closed the shop to get him a large cherry snowball on the way home, he worked all day outside and sweated a lot and did a lot of physical labor, so he could have those calories and it would not be bad, so I got him one and did not get one for me, which is a plus, I am not crazy about snowballs, I find them too sweet. Will check back in tomorrow.:hug:

BillBlueEyes
05-31-2012, 05:39 AM
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Another 100% on plan day, CREDIT moi. Slightly better than on plan since I skipped my planned morning snack since I was doing a FREE home energy audit with an enthusiastic representative of the local electric company. This guy had all the neat toys, including a device to generate smoke to watch air flow. I learned that after my water heater turns off, the heated chimney continues to create a draft that sends basement air up the chimney. And that basement air is, of course, sucked down from the upstairs heated air. To determine the temperature setting of the hot water heater, he pointed his temperature gun at the hot water coming out of the kitchen faucet. We found some open holes around plumbing from the third floor into the attic that are constantly letting out heat - Ouch. Lots of fun.

Exercise was gym, CREDIT moi.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at eating everything in the house so it doesn't go bad - I'd do that. We have a neighbor who always brings us a bag of perishables from her fridge before leaving for a week. She's happy if we use it or put it in the compost bin, but it frees her from that feeling of wasting it.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I join the chorus liking, "I must keep myself a priority." Kudos for keeping your wits and making a list so that decisions are possible.

Beverlyjoy – Yay for a DH who's making your garden accessible to your ankles. Grandkids and maintenance at the same time sounds good to me.

Daimere – Dynamite idea to bring healthy breakfast to 4-H Camp to avoid the stacks of tempting stuff. Hope that threat of strep just passes - I presume that you can't go to work all strepped up. How do you transport hoops on an airplane?

Tammy (CatholicCajun) – Yay for a new backyard gazebo - did you build that yourself? My dream is to have a gazebo at a distance from the house overlooking our private lake with the butler regularly refilling our glasses of iced tea. But we'd need 40 acres and a private lake which won't fit in our tiny city property, LOL. Kudos for transporting a large cherry snowball and not having one.

Here are some ideas for you to consider:
. . .
Change the food you serve. Offer healthy choices that you can eat. So many people are health conscious these days; your guests are likely to be grateful that you are serving delicious, wholesome food that makes them feel good instead of overstuffed and guilty. And if you find a particular food or dessert too tempting, don't serve it.
. . .

gardenerjoy
05-31-2012, 08:07 AM
Off on my low to no internet adventure! I'll check back in mid-June with stories of good meals, consumed in rational portions!

maryann
05-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Good Morning, Coaches.

I am officially off for summer. Last night was graduation. The last week of school is always the worst. I know it will be a few days before I wind back down.
I am fully back, committed to Beck. I will read Day 3 today, write down what I eat and I have already been to yoga. I know when I hop back on to a disciplined program I go through some withdrawals of the highs overeating can give you. I am preparing myself. When I first did this two years ago, I remember thinking it was like quitting smoking - a mourning period, some blues. I remember thinking why would I go anywhere or do anything if I can't eat during it. I know this will pass. Life becomes more vivid as I rely on my other senses rather than taste to satisfy me.

Beverlyjoy
05-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi! I was not focused/willing to jump back into full Beck mode yesterday. I am grateful for the willingness today. I drank alot of water, wrote down what I ate, did my execises, and got mentally prepared for today. I weighed and was up one pound this morning.

I have everything in place to make this a healthful day.

gardenerjoy - hope you are having a good trip

billbe - CREDIT for a 100% op. Wonderful. Sounds like you got some good energy info about your house. (however, who wants to hear about the 'bad' stuff)

maryann - so glad you are done for now. Kudo's for getting ready to move forward with Beck. We know it works.. when we do it. (Notice I said we... cause I need to rmember that too.)

cajuncatholic - credit for NOT eating the sweet frozen goodie!!

daimere - credit for maintaining! Credit, also, for planning ahead for food at camp.

Have a great day!

Lexxiss
05-31-2012, 10:22 PM
Hi Coaches!

My DH completely severed his quadraceps muscle right above the knee this morning. We spent most of the day at ER and the rest at the Dr. He will have surgery tomorrow afternoon (1 hr day surgery) then we will travel 2 hours to our other house. We have discussed at length today that it is important that I do not lose my job over this. I don't think I'll be checking in until Sunday.

Despite a crazy day, I was able to make rational food choices. I am finishing a lean cuisine I picked up for dinner. I resisted numerous absolutely awful choices for dinner. The best choice I could find at the ER was a banana, an orange (which we split) and a starbucks smoothie for both of us. I also had a green energy bar which I chose after reading the nutritional info.

Once again, exercise was patience.

BillBlueEyes
06-01-2012, 05:46 AM
Please join us as this discussion continues on:

Beck Diet for Life/Solution - June 2012 - Support Discussion Buddy/Coach (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/260211-beck-diet-life-solution-june-2012-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/206004-list-monthly-beck-threads-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)