General chatter - Question for all of you coffee drinkers...

guacamole
04-29-2012, 03:52 PM
I like having hot drinks in the morning. I go through phases between tea and coffee. For the past month I have been drinking coffee with skim milk. I usually buy a large or extra large cup and sip at it throughout the day (I reheat it in the microwave as needed). I know that some diets tell people to avoid caffeine (I think because it causes water retention?). I will say that I have only lost 1 pound this month, where last month (before all of the coffee) I lost 4 or 5. However, my appetite disappears when I drink coffee. For me, coffee acts as an appetite suppressant, more so than tea or water. Does anyone else find this to be true? Does anyone actually purposefully use coffee as an appetite suppressant?

ETA - Out of curiosity, how do you take your coffee (decaf or regular, sugar or artificial sweetener, cream or milk or black)?

ValRock
04-29-2012, 03:54 PM
I totally do, plus I love coffee!

I'm a little concerned about the safety of constantly reheating milk, though. I would hate for you to get sick!!!

I bought a Keurig so I could have a fresh cup brewed in less than 5 minutes.

luckymommy
04-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Absolutely. I have one or two cups just in the morning so that it doesn't influence my sleep at night (I'm sensitive to caffein). I haven't noticed a different in rate of weight loss with coffee.

guacamole
04-29-2012, 04:18 PM
I absolutely love Dunkin Donuts coffee, and it just doesn't taste the same when I make it at home. I only have the time and patience to go over there once per day, hence the large cup and the reheating. I didn't really think about getting sick from reheating, but it hasn't been a problem so far.

Thanks for the replies!

pixelllate
04-29-2012, 04:25 PM
http://starshandbags.co/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Ashley-Olsen-Givenchy-Nightingale.jpg
I figure if the Olsen twins can drink coffee I can drink coffee and lose. I drink it black.

philana
04-29-2012, 04:28 PM
I don't drink coffee often, but when I do I drink a latte with full fat milk. I just budget in the calories.

However, I drink energy drinks and they are like 2cups of coffee per can too. It's really not so great with all the chemicals and I drink it light, but sort of addicted to the caffeine and I love the 'soda' aspect of it. But - I hear ya on the appetite supressant. I don't use it for that on purpose but lately I am paying attention to when I feel like I should eat versus when I have it in my plan and notice I barely ever get really hungry during the daytime, whcih is when I drink caffeine.

juliana77
04-29-2012, 04:44 PM
I drink it black.

I have never heard that coffee causes water retention, but I drink it every day so it should be a "constant" type of thing. Valrock - I love my Keurig, I never bothered to make a pot at home before, just had it at work.

guacamole
04-29-2012, 04:48 PM
I am hearing two votes for the Keurig coffee maker. Does it taste like coffee you buy in a coffee shop? I've heard that the pods of coffee are expensive - more expensive than buying coffee in a store (my coffee habit costs about $2.20 per day)? I am wondering if I should invest in a Keurig? Also, I know that there are different models - cheaper and more expensive. Which one do each of you have? Thanks!

ValRock
04-29-2012, 05:01 PM
I am hearing two votes for the Keurig coffee maker. Does it taste like coffee you buy in a coffee shop? I've heard that the pods of coffee are expensive - more expensive than buying coffee in a store (my coffee habit costs about $2.20 per day)? I am wondering if I should invest in a Keurig? Also, I know that there are different models - cheaper and more expensive. Which one do each of you have? Thanks!

The taste will depend on what kind of cups you buy! Cost - About 50cents a cup if you buy them on sale. I also have a filter I can spoon grounds into. Way cheaper when I do it that way! I have a middle range model. I've had it for almost 2 years and will NEVER go back. It's pretty much maintenance free. No coffee getting burned to the bottom of the pot, or mess at all! I love it!

WildThings
04-29-2012, 05:02 PM
I am a coffee drinker. I love the 8'o clock coffee, I switch back and forth between the regular and the Columbian. I generally drink 2 cups a day (2 coffee cups = 4 measuring cups). Sometimes I will also go get a 3rd cup at Tim Horton's while at work. I've been drinking it black, no sugar, no cream since I started losing weight in October and don't seem to be having any issues with my weight loss stalling.

guacamole
04-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback! When drinking coffee I went from cream and sugar, to cream and raw sugar, to cream only, and now skim milk. I might try to make the switch to drinking it black to avoid whatever carbs and sugars the skim milk provides - but it's a process. It seems like there are lots of black coffee drinkers here, and it's working for them!

alaskanlaughter
04-29-2012, 05:06 PM
coffee hasnt affected my weight loss at all...i dont like regular coffee at all, it sits badly on my stomach....i get one 12-ounce nonfat sugarfree mocha a day, usually after my workout on my way to my job

Serenity100
04-29-2012, 05:12 PM
I love my Keuring. Would never go back. If you purchase one, look for the one that brews mug sized cups. The one I have there is a choice of 3 sizes. I think there is a deluxe version that has 5 sizes, and you can set the timer, but it only takes a minute or two, so to me that is a waste of money.

If you buy the Kcups in the supermarket, yes, they are expensive, but, I buy mine at Costco. There are also several places online you can find them at discount. Kohl's also has them on sale and then you put your 20% on top of that. I wouldn't pay more than .50 a cup, and you can get Starbucks Kcups at Costco.:) Buy the little cup to brew your own coffee if you are very picky about your coffee, and it doesn't come in Kcup size.

98DaysOfSummer
04-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Coffee is a diuretic, it does NOT make you retain fluid. Obviously too much caffeine is a bad thing but there are a lot of studies that say in moderate amounts, it can be beneficial.

missunderstood28
04-29-2012, 09:51 PM
it makes me lose weight by making me poop.................LOL

Iyakamae
04-29-2012, 09:59 PM
I love our Keurig's. I drink two cups a day with creamer and love every sip. It's my vice.

Not sure if it impacting my weight loss or making me retain water. I drink about 8 cups a day of water so I hope that I'm not, other wise I'm going to have to make some changes.

guacamole
04-29-2012, 10:01 PM
The only reason I mentioned that some diet plans don't encourage caffeine is that I know someone who is a very strict Atkins diet follower and she never drinks caffeinated beverages because she says it is not allowed on Atkins. Maybe it has to do with preventing ketosis? I have no idea, but she never drinks coffee or any other caffeinated drinks.

chickadee32
04-29-2012, 10:09 PM
I have no idea whether my coffee habit or the caffeine has any impact on my weight loss, but I decided at the beginning that I wasn't willing to give it up. :) I drink a skinny vanilla latte (skim milk, sugar-free vanilla) nearly every day (venti iced in the nicer weather, grande and not iced when it's cold out), and I add artificial sweetener to it. I think more people would balk at the artificial sweetener than the caffeine intake, but I like it and it doesn't seem to cause problems for me.

BerkshireGrl
04-29-2012, 10:28 PM
The only reason I mentioned that some diet plans don't encourage caffeine is that I know someone who is a very strict Atkins diet follower and she never drinks caffeinated beverages because she says it is not allowed on Atkins. Maybe it has to do with preventing ketosis? I have no idea, but she never drinks coffee or any other caffeinated drinks.

Atkins forbids caffeine because it lowers blood sugar and can lead to the munchies as a result :coffee: --> :T --> :ink: Heh!

Personally, I drink 2-3 cups a day, with cream and a little bit of real sugar if any. I used to use artificial sweeteners, but decided to go without after my company nurse encouraged me to go off them. I was in the habit of using Splenda, and also having pretty bad joint pain in my hands, feet and shoulders. She suggested it could be the Splenda, that studies are coming out that link it to body inflammation and joint pain, and that it builds up in the liver. Uh, eeek! So I went cold turkey on the Splenda, and my joints really do feel better! I was thinking that I suddenly developed arthritis at age 41 :cry:

ETA: She said the safest of the fake sugars is Sweet n' Low (saccharin), then Equal (aspartame). But even better is Stevia, made from a natural herb.

Riddy
04-29-2012, 10:32 PM
I adore coffee and tea. I have my coffee every morning - from the Keurig if I'm going to work, from the regular coffee pot if I have the day off.

I drink my coffee lots of ways - plain black at restaurants, but I love Dunkin' flavored coffee with milk and splenda, and at home I'm hooked on So Delicious coconut milk flavored creamer. I figure it's at least less chemicals than the Coffee Mate I used to drink. :o

I have a pretty fancy Keurig - 5 different sizes and an on/off timer. I like to buy a strong roast coffee and make a big cup - I feel like I'm getting more of my money's worth that way. :D

pluckypear
04-29-2012, 10:54 PM
I love coffee plain and simple. I cannot imagine living without it. I limit myself to two cups per day and use cream only. I count the points. I do sometimes get a skinny latte out. If there is one granule of sugar in my coffee I cannot drink it. Years ago I used to take two heaping spoons of sugar. I gradually cut it out.

As for Keurig and other types of these, I do not care for them. I have found with several brands of makers and of the k cups it is not hot enough for me. I do not like to microwave coffee. I want to drink it fresh brewed and hot. I find Tim Horton's coffee is too weak. I generally drink 'kicking horse' which is an organic fair trade coffee.

konfyoozed
04-30-2012, 12:42 AM
another vote for the keurig here. I LOVE MINE. we got it as a wedding gift (from my husband's step mother's coworkers...) and it's right up there with the pyrex set we got (love my pyrex) as far as frequency of use. my husband doesn't drink coffee but he uses it for tea, hot chocolate, and spiced apple cider flavor drink. a wonderful thing. it did not hinder my loss at all last year when i would drink it regularly (with probably 2tbsp skim milk and a tsp of splenda - unless i'm around my mother, who has been known to steal my mug and add a shot of bailey's ;) ), i just added a cup of skim milk to my day to factor in the calories.

Sinoia
04-30-2012, 02:26 AM
Coffee is not good for your liver. It is a duiretic and, if you drink more than a couple of cups a day, you should drink water to compensate, and to flush your liver. However, caffeine can be beneficial in small amounts.

melodymist
04-30-2012, 02:59 AM
I love my caffeine. I only drink it with water and small amount of milk. 4+ cups a day.

Elliemar
04-30-2012, 04:06 AM
I absolutely loooove coffee. A double espresso or americano first thing sets me up perfectly. I may have another mid morning but that's it for the day and I drink them black with no sugar.

I've never found that they cause me an issue with water retention or hinder my weight loss in any way. Weekend nights out seem to do that perfectly well :o

vwdeano
04-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Another vote in favor of coffee, here... Doesn't seem to have upset my weight loss in any way.

I'm hooked on 8 o'clock coffee, too, but their Hazelnut blend... Mmmm, hazelnut...

I haven't sprung for a Keurig, but I've got a small coffee maker at work, and a larger one at home. About two mugs per day with nonfat creamer and a tiny, tiny bit of sugar...

Cannot give it up... Hmmm, maybe I'm "addicted".

pluckypear
04-30-2012, 08:40 AM
I do drink plenty of water throughout the day to compensate for water lost due to my caffeine intake.

Noone else find the coffee from Keurig and other types is more like instant coffee. That is my humble opinion. And the tea I cannot even drink from these machines. yuck But many love them as seen above. My sister adores hers and they drink tea and coffee and hot chocolate from it all the time. My Mom lives with them and cannot drink the tea from it, like me she wants a properly brewed cuppa. :) But she will drink the coffee. I cannot abide the coffee from it. I pick up a Tims on my way there. It is a little weak for me but will do in a pinch.

Ideally I would do a french press.

Nice to see so many coffee lovers though.

bargoo
04-30-2012, 08:43 AM
I have a Keurig Model B70, it has all the bells and whistles. I got it for Mother's Day last year. Love it ! I have a fresh cup of coffee in less than one minute. You can get many different brands of KCups. Costco is probably the cheapest but if you don't want to make a trip to the store you can order online there are many places , check to see which is cheapest. Right now I am drinking a cup of Wolfgang Puck's Breakfast in Bed.

WebWoman
04-30-2012, 08:57 AM
I love coffee and will make a pot a day, mixing caffeinated with decaf to lessen the effect. I've found a great product at Kroger - Fat Free Coffee Creamer sweetened with Stevia (sugar's the devil!) It's new and comes in Vanilla or Hazelnut in the dairy section. Yum! and no guilt.

XLMuffnTop
04-30-2012, 09:13 AM
I drink lots of coffee (and energy drinks :o). I don't prefer the Keurig for a few reasons:

1. My house is full of heavy coffee drinkers. DH and I can polish off a pot of coffee and not blink and eye. That Keurig would be going constantly. :D
2. Unless you get the reusable cup, the Kcups are not biodegradable (so I've been told). I don't live or really aspire to live a perfect "green" lifestyle but something about throwing away that many little pastic pieces freaks me out.

In my mind, if I'm using regular coffee grounds and having to (inconveniently) continue to make cup after cup, I might as well use a regular coffee pot. I make my first cup with about 2 tsp regular sugar and a bit of almond or 2% milk. After that, I just continue to top it off with coffee and don't add any more "extras".

I also use coffee in the evenings sometimes when I just feel like eating for no good reason. Sometimes if I want something sweet, I will add sugar/milk. I figure it's better than partaking in my husband's ice cream, or PB sandwich or whatever else he's munching on. It just keeps me warm, content and munch-free.

Angelsmom
04-30-2012, 09:17 AM
I absolutely love coffee, I drink it with skim milk and sweetener. It does suppress my appetite and I do reheat it just once though. Lately I've been drinking hot chocolate instead of coffee and it does the same trick, a whole 250 ml of fat free milk with cocoa powder and a packet of sweetener for about 75 cal. I read caffeine is good for the body but in moderation, try not to take more than a cup a day.

4star
04-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Well caffeine is a diuretic so I think dehydration would be more of a concern than water retention. I personally love coffee :coffee: and drink it with splenda and milk. I am trying to cut back and drink more water, just because I know I should be drinking more water than coffee and not the other way around...:o Anywho, I've lost fine drinking coffee and I also find it helps in appetite suppression as well as moving the digestive tract along...:p

guacamole
04-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Well, I am drinking my D&D coffee with skim right now. I think I might consider getting a Keurig with the refillable cup, and buy my own grounds. I haven't really looked into it. However, it might be more of a present kind of thing (Mother's Day?). Anyway, for the moment, I'm ok getting my once a day coffee fix from the drive through. It's good to know that others have incorporated coffee into their weight loss plan to no ill effects.

bargoo
04-30-2012, 01:08 PM
I drink one or two cups of caffeinated coffee in the AM, the rest of the day I drink decaf. I use Kcups and do throw them in the garbage but when I was making coffee in my Mr Coffee I threw out many more grounds than I do Kcups. there are just some things we can't get away from , garbage being one of them.

djs06
04-30-2012, 01:16 PM
I used to be a crazy coffee drinker. You know, multiple huge mugs a day. Now I do one cup in the morning with 1 tbsp natural bliss (during the week... sometimes the weekend is another story.. heh). Sometimes I'll have a second cup in the afternoon if I'm feeling snacky, so I think it does act as an appetite suppressant for me as well. Or at least it feels like I'm having a snack and distracts me enough from food because I like it so much.

Sure, you can overdo it, but I don't think coffee is bad.

Pepino
04-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Atkins forbids caffeine because it lowers blood sugar and can lead to the munchies as a result :coffee: --> :T --> :ink: Heh!

Personally, I drink 2-3 cups a day, with cream and a little bit of real sugar if any. I used to use artificial sweeteners, but decided to go without after my company nurse encouraged me to go off them. I was in the habit of using Splenda, and also having pretty bad joint pain in my hands, feet and shoulders. She suggested it could be the Splenda, that studies are coming out that link it to body inflammation and joint pain, and that it builds up in the liver. Uh, eeek! So I went cold turkey on the Splenda, and my joints really do feel better! I was thinking that I suddenly developed arthritis at age 41 :cry:

ETA: She said the safest of the fake sugars is Sweet n' Low (saccharin), then Equal (aspartame). But even better is Stevia, made from a natural herb.

WHATT?!?!? I'm sorry but Sweet n' Low (saccharin) is probably the worst one!!!! My OB/GYN even told me to be careful to avoid it when I was pregnant and she was pretty lax on the eating restrictions.

Oh and I personally like Tassimo brewed coffees over the keurig. We have the Keurig at work and I have the Tassimo at home and I think it works/tastes better...

:carrot: I love my coffee! I LOOOVVEEE McCafe also!

Alyj89
05-01-2012, 02:16 AM
FiancÚ and I actually picked up a Keurig the other night. B60 model. We both like coffee, but really only when it's turned into a sweet concoction with little coffee flav, lol. And since it's just us two we don't need a pot.
I pretty much love the keurig ! the kcup samples all have tasted really good, but we also got an ezcup so we could use our own coffee. it's a little weak but we prefer it this was, so it's fine.

I like hot coffee sometimes but I largely prefer iced (frozen) ! ESP in the warmer weather thats the only way I want it. i actually perfected (to my taste) my frozen coffee and put th recipe in the food forum :)

Hot, I like it with 1 TBSP of nesquik chocolate syrup (50 cals), and 2 teaspoons of sugar free vanilla torani syrup (i wanna get more of these!), I use Starbucks French vanilla roast. I also like to freeze this and pulverize it in my ninja.

fiancÚ likes his with (warning; he doesn't gain an ounce of fat no matter what he eats) 2 tbsp of dark chocolate syrup and caramel ice cream topping and whipped cream.

juliana77
05-01-2012, 09:10 AM
I have the Mr Coffee Keurig, it's about $80 unless you find a sale. It only makes one cup in one size but it's perfect for one person. It wouldn't be convenient for couples/families who go through a whole pot. I do have a regular pot in the closet for when I have guests.

I usually pay 10.99 for a box of 18 pods. I also have a refillable one but it's messy to fill (I need a smaller coffee scoop or something).

The coffee is fine, but then again I'm not picky about coffee. I happily drink the office brew while there are many people who refuse and go to the local coffee cart or to Starbucks.

Smiling_Sara
05-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Absolutely LOVE coffee. I drink too much of it actually. Easily 5-6 cups a day. I use silk creamer.

I do not use it as a way to curb my hunger, as it does not do that for me.

MiZTaCCen
05-01-2012, 12:25 PM
I always crashed hard drinking coffee so I switched coffee with green tea and honey in the morning instead. But I always have to drink coffee before my workout in the afternoon. I used to have it two milks one sugar. Now I just have those creamers that taste like vanilla, hazelnut whatever type there is and that I feel like having. Now if I go to Tim hortons or a coffee place, I just get two milks and 1 sugar.

slvrangl
05-01-2012, 02:33 PM
I have a Keurig too. It is the small one for only like $80. My cousin got it for me for Christmas. I'm thinking about getting a bigger one because i like to use my travel cup sometimes and it only fits a regular size mug underneath. I only drink a cup(sometimes 2) a day and i use creamer and artificial sweetener. I don't see it affecting my weight loss. :)

i33BabyGirl33i
05-01-2012, 05:37 PM
I don't know what it is about coffee (maybe the caffeine) but after I drink it black I start coughing.

valalltogether
05-01-2012, 07:20 PM
i live in a small apartment with an even smaller kitchenette. the boyfriend picked up one of those french presses. it makes approximately 2 full cups of coffee. perfect, because we only have 1 cup each in the morning.

i don't use sugar/splenda/milk. i just put a few tablespoons of coffeemate/international delight. i'm sure the ingredients could be better..i don't even know whats in that stuff. but it's about 50-75 calories for a delicious cup of morning coffee.