Weight Loss Support - young and inexperienced = big fail :( Help?!

ElociN2392
04-28-2012, 02:18 AM
Hey Everyone!

I'm trying to count calories and have been reading a lot of posts on here, all from different people, which means different opinions. I tried googling this but still can't really find a true answer, so any answers from you guys will be wonderful.

How many calories should I be eating a day?!
I do not want to eat too many, for obvious reasons.
I also don't want to eat too few,
I've been having fuzzy headaches(not bad just annoying) since I started counting calories and am unsure if it's because I'm not eating enough.

I went on some website and tried to calculate it but to me I feel like its way too many so I never reach what it says, because I want to lose, but now I read that if I don't eat enough, I'm not going to lose any weight either.

It says I should be eating around 2,600.

I'm 19(20 in june)
I'm exactly 6 feet tall.
and I weigh 310 pounds (:()
and obviously I'm a female..

ValRock
04-28-2012, 02:24 AM
Try putting your activity level in as sedentary and calculating from there.

You're tall, so you'll have a higher calorie requirement than someone who is much shorter. You probably would lose on 2600, but I think you could go quite a bit lower and be ok, granted you feel ok.

What kinds of foods are you eating?

ElociN2392
04-28-2012, 02:49 AM
For breakfast I usually have a whole grain bagel, and a piece of fruit,
and for lunch I have a 100%Whey Protein Shake, With BeneFiber added to it, made with 2% milk,
And for dinner it's usually something completely tonight, but 6 out of 7 times includes a small portion of meat, steamed fresh or frozen veggies, either mashed potatoes or rice.
And if I get hungry in between meals I have fruit or raw veggies..
I only drink water (or that protein shake)
Also will milk make me gain weight since I NEVER drank it before, because I absolutely hate the taste?

ValRock
04-28-2012, 02:51 AM
Milk won't make you gain weight... but nobody says you have to drink it. I hate milk. I never drink it!

It doesn't sound like you're getting near enough calories. I'd be dizzy on that much food, too!!

melodymist
04-28-2012, 02:52 AM
Don't worry my friend. At first it sounds very confusing but you wil quickly get the hang of it. :hug:

What kinds of foods are you eating?

Yes, what are you eating? Maybe you could give us a sample of what you ate on the day when you felt dizzy. Are you using any app on your phone or pc to calculate your calorie totals?

sontaikle
04-28-2012, 02:55 AM
Milk won't make you gain weight unless you start chugging whole gallons of it. You just need to make sure you count it along with everything else you eat :) The calories in milk count too, after all!

How many calories are you eating now?

While you can go and plug in your information to a billion calorie calculators you really need to go by trial and error. We're all different and those calorie calculators can give you a great start, but ultimately you're going to need to find the right amount for you, not just a person of your height and weight.

Through trial and error I found a calorie count that helped me lose weight, and now I've found one that has helped me maintain. It's different than what the calculators say, but it's working for me :)

ElociN2392
04-28-2012, 03:00 AM
Thank you! :)

Well, I was dizzy today I ate the following:

100% whole grain bagel with butter
an apple
a multivitamin
the protein/fiber shake
a handful of blackberries
home made veggi soup
at least 8 glasses of water
and a 1 cup serving of iced tea

I think that's all.

ElociN2392
04-28-2012, 03:03 AM
I was using calorie counter for my iphone and computer but it already seems annoying and its only been five days. I do look at the calories on everything I eat and usually add them up in my head, i find that easier and faster and a way to not spend so much time on my phone. I'm usually around 1800 at the most.

ValRock
04-28-2012, 03:33 AM

an apple
a multivitamin
the protein/fiber shake
home made veggi soup

I think that's all.

This right here, can't be more than 1,000 calories. Is this your whole day?

ElociN2392
04-28-2012, 03:35 AM
yeah that was my whole day. :/

ValRock
04-28-2012, 03:37 AM
yeah that was my whole day. :/

You're not getting nearly enough calories, and the ones you are getting are mostly carbs (the bagel and fruit). Get some healthy fats in your diet and ditch that protein shake for some real food! No wonder you were dizzy!!! Losing weight should not be torture. Nourish your body and it will treat you well! :carrot:

ElociN2392
04-28-2012, 03:40 AM
:(
So discouraged!
I don't know what to do, this sucks.
I don't know where to begin, or what to eat.
...I guess I'll probably just remain the same weight then because I thought I was doing well with eating fruit and whole wheat items.

tinkerbell4726
04-28-2012, 03:49 AM
I tried sparkpeople when I first started. They have an online calculator and recipes and forums. There is also myfitnesspal that is really popular as well. I eventually transitioned to weight watchers if that is an option for you.

Just because you are trying to eat better doesn't mean you have to eat like your on a diet. You can eat anything you want, as long as you exercise portion control, and make better choices. Losing weight and eating healthy isn't always salads.

The girls here are great. I am mostly a lurker but if you have questions they will help you! Don't give up. You are taking the first step towards a better lifestyle, and it will pay off for you.

You CAN do this! Check out the goal section to get some motivation :)

ElociN2392
04-28-2012, 03:56 AM
I so wish that wrightwatchers was an option but I can't afford it.
I do work but I live with my parents and we are definitely a low income family, so all the money I get I help with bills. I had to save forever for this iPhone. Omg sorry for this, I guess I'm venting.
I have looked at the goal section and do regularly, it's very encouraging.
I guess I was just hoping for faster weight loss and I feel as if portion control would just slowly make my weight go down, and it would take years and years to be a weight that I want to be in a year and a half.
I dont know what to do. :(
Thank you for replying though. It means A LOT.

tinkerbell4726
04-28-2012, 04:13 AM
I know you feel discouraged about the time but imagine starting today and looking at yourself at a year from now! Can you imagine how healthy and awesome you would feel/look!?! Counting calories is how I lost my first 10lbs. It's tried and true and I'm sure if u calculated the right balance of calories for your needs you could be on ur way to dropping weight in no time! Check out sparkpeople. They are free and you can track your food just like I do for weight watchers! Also I believe my fitness pal is similar, and having an iPhone will help you track it on the go!

Kery
04-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Don't feel discouraged. The weight didn't come all at once overnight, so it makes sense that it won't disappear very quickly... but this doesn't mean that it never will either! :)

The sample day you provided seems too little food/calories IMHO as well. (I'm 5'2" tops, and I'd probably faint from so little, so at 6'0", it's evidently not enough.) You took a good head start by including whole grains, that's a good choice; you just need more than that, in the shape of real food (a real piece of meat will make you feel better than a protein shake, and if those cost as much as they do here, then franjly, just pick the real meat, it won't be worse). Eating in a healthy way is something we'll have to do and maintain for our whole life, so we might as well make it a pleasant ride, and not a torture.

I didn't have much money either when I started (still don't, come to think of it), but there are ways of eating better on a tight income. It demands some planning at first, and some snooping around to compare prices in different places, but it can definitely be done. For instance, one thing I do to have proteins: eggs (I mix 1 full egg + 2 whites, so that I get my protein without feeding my body too many yolks, which isn't good either). Other things may include lean meats, usually less expensive than red meat; frozen vegetables, if fresh ones are too expensive where you live; or, on the contrary, maybe veggies on the market, if there's one, are cheaper. You'll have to compare at first, but then it'll be come second nature, so to say.

I hope this helps.

toastedsmoke
04-28-2012, 09:10 AM
First believe you can definitely do this and that you will do this. Have faith in yourself that it's not too much or too difficult for you. Know that you can do this and that you will succeed. I don't think you're eating in a sustainable way. If all I existed on was a wholegrain bagel, a piece of fruit, a protein shake and veggie soup, I'd be miserable, depressed and I certainly wouldn't be able to stick to it in the long term.

I'm wondering if there's a specific reason you're going with the protein shake instead of a meal? Or just the bagel in the morning? Is it a time/convenience issue? I know it can be a challenge living at home and working and making a healthy diet work. Just remember food is not the enemy. It's fuel. Fuel some of us enjoy a little too much, but fuel all the same. If you don't fuel your body, it's not going to do all the fabulous things it is able to do, as efficiently. And then it affects your mood, you feel dizzy or yucky or weak or just unmotivated.

An example of what I ate at the beginning:
Breakfast
1 serving cereal/ oatmeal or 2slices low-cal wheat toast with Low-cal butter spread
1 boiled egg or 2 slices turkey bacon
OR
A 2-egg omelet (real eggs or egg beaters) with turkey bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes (you could put in other veggies if you want).

LUNCH
A sandwich on 2 slices low cal wheat bread with tuna, extra light mayo, and salad
OR
A salad with grilled chicken or turkey Brest or tuna or salmon with a teaspoon light vinaigrette dressing

DINNER
Usually steamed vegetables (from frozen) mixed into half a cup of boiled rice (to make it seem like more food) with a serving (measured by weight) of grilled fish/seafood or meat
Sometimes instead of rice, I made "fries" by thinly slicing 1 medium potato sprinkling with a teaspoon on EVOO, salt, black pepper and parsley and cooking in the oven.

SNACKS
I kind of in general prefer 3 big meals, but when I did snack I ate a serving of fruit (1 orange or 1 apple or a banana or some grapes etc) or these really thin pieces of dark chocolate I found (15calories a piece) or 1 serving of low fat yogurt or a cup or two of tea with a cookie (my cookie allowance per day was no more than 150cal- so 2 of my favorite shortbread cookies).

That's just kind of what I ate. I was in grad school when I started by journey and I didn't have a lot of time so I even ate frozen dinners (lean cuisine, smart ones etc) and ok I know they're not ideal but as long as they were within my calorie goal, I lost weight.

Speaking of calorie goals, I too got what I thought was a very high number when I started, so I by myself decided to start of eating 1200 calories a day. I wish I hadn't done that. With hindsight, I probably would have started off 500-600 calories higher at least. I don't think 1800-2000 calories sounds bad for you right now but I also don't think you're getting anywhere close to that based on what you say you're eating. This shouldn't be a punishment or a pain otherwise you'll find it hard to stick to your plan and give up, and you don't want that.

Re being afraid of just doing portion control and losing slowly, you'd be surprised. What is calorie counting, if not a numerical method of controlling your portions. In any case, I promise you, though it seems like it would suck right now, even if by the end of a year and a half, you're only down halfway to your ultimate goal, you won't regret that you started and stuck to it now. Just keep going and keep believing you can do it and stick with it. Take care of yourself, ok? Hugs!

freelancemomma
04-28-2012, 09:56 AM
:(
So discouraged!...I guess I'll probably just remain the same weight then because I thought I was doing well with eating fruit and whole wheat items.

Why are you getting discouraged so quickly? Just keep it simple. Here's a ballpark suggestion: Eat a variety of healthy foods (lean meat, fish, eggs, low-fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and a bit of unsaturated fat) with the occasional treat thrown in, aiming for 2,000 calories per day. With every 20 pounds you knock off, reduce your daily calories by 100. So by the time you weigh 215 pounds, you'd be eating 1,500 calories per day.

Aim to exercise 3 to 5 hours per week. Start with walking, and gradually incorporate more vigorous activities into your regimen.

If you stick to this plan, you might lose 10 pounds per month for the first 6 months, 8 pounds per month for the next 6 months, and 6 pounds per month for the next 6 months, bringing your total loss in a year and a half to 144 pounds. This would put you within 6 pounds of your goal weight.

Start today. A year and a half later you'll be very happy you did.

HTH Freelance

ElociN2392
04-28-2012, 10:05 AM
So many of you suggest eggs. I'm sorry but I cannot eat them, the feel of them in my mouth and the thought of what they are completely grosses me out to the point of me almost being sick. Fish is really expensive here and I'm the only one in the family that likes it so it's not a likely option, unless you count canne fish bit I doubt that is good for me at all.

Amy23
04-28-2012, 10:44 AM
So many of you suggest eggs. I'm sorry but I cannot eat them, the feel of them in my mouth and the thought of what they are completely grosses me out to the point of me almost being sick. Fish is really expensive here and I'm the only one in the family that likes it so it's not a likely option, unless you count canne fish bit I doubt that is good for me at all.

I think you have been doing well. No, you're not eating enough calories or protein, but you've done something very difficult as far as taking charge of your health and curbing your food intake. I think you should be very proud of that.

I'm in a similar sort of situation as you. I hardly ever eat enough calories during the day. I try to eat healthily and to include enough protein and fibre in my diet, but I don't always suceed. It's not healthy and it needs to be changed, but there's easier ways to do it.

I don't know what you like, but you need to start incorporating more protein into your diet. It is essential. You don't have to eat eggs if you hate them (although they are an easy and cheap option) but look for something else. Could you stomach lentils, boiled or canned? Lentils are great for you and you can add them to your veggie soup or whatever else you're having. Chickpeas, too. The flavor of both is very inoffensive. You can add them to anything really and it's just the same as eating peas or something similar. No strong flavours. I buy tinned lentils and chickpeas at the supermarket for 80 cents a can. Very cheap.

Do you like nuts? Almonds, cashews, macadamias, etc? These are a great quick and easy way to get some extra calories, which you definitely need.

Do you like oats? They're a great breakfast food and will leave you pretty satisfied throughout the morning. A bowl of reasonably healthy cereal with some fruit is equally as good.

In my experience, you don't have to meticulously count your calories. As long as you have a vague idea of what's going in, and you take care not to exceed it, you can take some of the pressure off of yourself. Make sure you're getting enough protein, whole-grains and fats and you should be fine. Don't beat yourself up about achieving a certain caloric intake; just don't go too low. Be sensible. Give yourself a cheat meal once a week or so and just relax.

freelancemomma
04-28-2012, 10:51 AM

Well, don't eat eggs, then. It's your eating plan, so you can tailor it to your needs and means. I don't think canned tuna is bad for you, but again, it's your call.

F.

Amy23
04-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Well, don't eat eggs, then. It's your eating plan, so you can tailor it to your needs and means. I don't think canned tuna is bad for you, but again, it's your call.

F.

Sound advice. Lots of people lose weight eating canned tuna. If you like tuna, eat it. It's healthy and will give you the extra protein you need.

ValRock
04-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Don't get discouraged!

Eggs are just a good cheap source of protein and fat. You certainly don't have to eat them if you don't like them. Do you like Greek Yogurt? How about chicken? There are just a lot of better ways to spend your calories IMHO than a protein shake (which may or may not also be loaded with sugar).

Pay attention to how certain foods make you feel. Weight loss is certainly a bonus, but being Healthy should be your main goal :). You don't have to starve yourself to do that! Pick foods that are nutritious and make you feel great, to meet your goals, and this will be a lot easier!

When you're dizzy, it's your body's way of telling you it's not getting something it needs!

toastedsmoke
04-28-2012, 10:57 AM
You most certainly don't have to eat eggs if you don't want to. You can have turkey bacon or even a couple of rashers of regular pork bacon or a slice or two of turkey breast/ham. It's just a way to get protein into your breakfast.

Canned chicken or canned fish especially canned in water (even though canned in oil tastes better, the extra calories aren't worth it) isn't bad for you, why do you think it is? Okay there is a slight concern about mercury in farmed tuna and fertility but as long as you're not eating it everyday, you should be fine. Canned chicken, tuna and salmon were/are staples for me. They're cheap, they're low cal and convenient, they're excellent toppers for sandwiches and salads, you can season them add a little mayo and turn them into burgers on a skillet, and they're filling and an excellent source of protein. I didn't find them bad for me at all.

But even if you decide you don't want to eat canned protein, what fresh proteins do you have access to. Look at what is possible and don't focus on what's not possible. Remember you're going to have to be able to eat this way forever so don't choose to do something that isn't sustainable or you won't be able to stick to.

I calorie count diligently (even though at first it was tedious) so that I can occasionally go out to dinner with friends or have fast food chicken nuggets (my guilty pleasure) or eat dessert because to me that's part of life. Now it's weird to me not to cow t calories. I think basically what I'm trying to say is choose to do something sustainable. Don't make your diet so limited and such a punishment that you don't nourish your body or get bored overwhelmed with it and quit.

pnkrckpixikat
04-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Theres nothing wrong with canned foods, i eat both canned tuna and canned chicken breast all the time. The sodium content is higher then fresh of course, but unless your doctor has told you to watch your sodium due to a medical condition you don't need to put too much focus on your sodium intake.

Its fine that you cant eat eggs, i cant eat meat if its still on a bone for the same reason lol just look for other things that you can eat that have protien. I know we have some vegetarians on the boards maybe they might have some other ideas for you.

Even if you dont get to goal when you want to get there you will still be alot farther than you are now and that will make you happy. I know from experience, i wanted to be at goal in a year and a half too, but i got busy and life came up and i slacked more often then i should have. Of the 150ish i wanted to lose i lost 90. And i was really happy for that loss.

WildThings
04-28-2012, 11:08 AM
I think a lot of us eat egg because they are convenient, easy and versatile. You most certainly don't have to eat eggs though. You also don't have to drink milk, especially because it doesn't seem like you like it. Going by your daily menu, I would have to agree with the fact that you are eating too little...which would definitely contribute to the light head feeling.

Figuring out your daily calories can be very confusing because even going by what experts and doctors recommend can differ from person to person. The suggestion by Freelancemomma would be a great place to start. There is nothing that says you can't make adjustments after a few weeks if you feel like you need to, but it would give you a nice base.

I would ditch the protein shake for actual food. A sandwich, soup, wrap, salad, something with a little more substance and nutrients. I would also add some protein to your breakfast. Maybe some peanut butter on your bagel, or low-fat turkey sausage, a handful of nuts. Balancing your carbs with protein will help balance blood sugar, and a balanced blood sugar level, at least for me, helps set the tone for the rest of my day.

As for the fish, I don't eat a lot of fish either. I'm not crazy about it, it doesn't fill me up like other meats, so I just skip it most of the time. I eat a lot of chicken and turkey. Chicken is very versatile and ground turkey is a lower-fat option to ground beef.

Overall, try not to get discouraged. There is a lot to learn about weight loss and nutrition, after years of dieting, I am still learning. Just take it slow, don't be afraid to ask questions.

sontaikle
04-28-2012, 01:26 PM
What foods do you like? What foods fill you up? One of the beautiful things about calorie counting is that you can eat what you want and lose weight...you just have to watch how much you eat. Seriously! During my weight loss I ate out every weekend (I still do) and sometimes had fast food!

If what you're doing right now isn't working then change it! I'd really have to agree with others that you simply aren't eating enough to sustain your body. While the body can live off its fat stores for a while, you do need a certain amount of food to make sure you're getting adequate nutrition. You're a tall person, don't follow the conventional advice regarding calorie intake because it's geared toward people who are much smaller.

Everyone is giving you some great suggestions regarding how you can get some protein in your diet, but I'm going to go against the grain a bit and tell you to worry more about your actual caloric intake right now. You're new to this and if you start worrying about all of your macros it can get overwhelming! As you get used to watching how much you eat then you might want to start tracking your nutrients.

Like you, I find it cumbersome to write things down or put them into an app so I don't do it. Use your iphone to your advantage though! If you see something you want to eat, google the calorie count (this is what I do with my iPhone) and make a note of it in your head. Round off to make it easier to keep track.

Google portion sizes if you can't measure and learn to eyeball (for example, a 3oz portion of meat is generally the size of a deck of cards) and you can get a rough estimate of how much you're eating. This works great when you're out and about--it's one of the things I love about having a smartphone.

DON'T get overwhelmed and give up. Start small and build healthy habits over time. You might lose slower, but it will be easier in the end. Portion sizes are one of the first hurdles because we're all so used to GINORMOUS portions that we have to retrain our eyes and stomach so we get used to "real" portions again.

Vex
04-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Here's the deal really. The right amount of calories for you is the amount that will allow you to lose weight yet be enough for you to able to maintain eating at that level.

I personally believe that the statement "if you eat too little you won't lose weight" is a myth. People will argue both ways with that. There is little argument though that weight loss slows down over time.

That being said, generally the lowest recommended amount for daily calorie intake is 1200. Generally, the amount needed to stay where you are would be 2000. Notice I said "generally". I've been around 1200 a week since I started.

It may take a few weeks for you to figure out if you need to eat 1800, 1500, 1200, or something else. Let's say you pick 1800 to start. It doesn't have to be exactly 1800, it can be a range around there - a few 100 cal up or down each day. If you're losing on that and don't feel that hungry then you know. If you want to lose faster, you can drop it down.

The headache seems to be normal for people and related to coming off sugar. If it persists for a couple of weeks you might want to get checked out.

freelancemomma
04-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Generally, the amount needed to stay where you are would be 2000.

Just want to amend this figure. I input the OP's variables in the freedieting calculator (assuming a sedentary lifestyle) and the maintenance figure came out at 2,783 -- which makes sense, considering her current age, height and weight.

F.

munchievictim
04-28-2012, 03:39 PM
:hug:
Hon, I have beenin your frame of mind for most of my life. I would get fed up with my body and decide to white-knuckle it on a severe starvation plan until I was at the weight I wanted to be, when I would magically be a "normal" person who knew how to maintain that weight. Needless to say, no matter how many times I've tried that plan, I've gained any weight I lost back and way more.
This time feels different because I finally stopped thinking I knew best and listened to the experts that are all over this website. I slowed down, and stopped setting such extreme goals for myself. The thing is, it's tried and true that using extreme measures to lose weight way too quickly only makes you gain even more by the time it's all said and done. If it takes you two or even three years to reach your ultimate goal, but you will be that weight forever, isn't that a better choice than hitting your goal in a year and a half and then being 350 in three years from now? I promisenitnis, it's better for your health as well as your physical AND mental well being.
This will not *click* for you until you realize it's about loving yourself and doing right by your body, not hating and starving yourself thin. As overweight women, we are basically taught to hate ourselves, and to use that as fuel to lose weight. We are taught that we aren't worth health and peace of body and mind, we must fret and obsess and deprive ourselves as punishment for getting so heavy. I firmly believe that that's why so many of us fail time and again. It's hard for us to realize that we are beautiful creatures who deserve to be physically and spiritually replenished, and that we can have HEALTH, and along with it, a rocking body. I promise you, this journey is as much about discovering who you are and falling in love with yourself and healthy foods and physical activity, and living in a world that doesn't revolve around food.
This website is the encyclopedia of weight loss. Look in the calorie counter forums, the maintainers forums, the support forums, and you will find more advice, tips, good examples, tried and true methods, yummy meal ideas and love and acceptance than you'll know what to do with. My weight loss has been directly tied with my activity on this forum, and I think a lot of these girls will tell you the same thing. You can do this, your obstacles are minor compared to the obstacles of being overweight for the rest of your life. Farmers markets, frozen vegetables are affordable, and if you count calories you can eat nothing but bread and butter every day and lose weight as ling as you're in your calorie range. You don't need fancy foods or equiptment, nothing but commitment.
I use myfitnesspal on my iPhone, like a lot of people here, and the app is amazing and so easy. It has any kind of food and restaurants you could think of, and I can look up something on my phone while I'm sitting in a drive thru to make sure I can afford what im about to order. And it tracks your progress and exercise.
Most of all, good luck and keep coming back. We are your strongest allies and we're here for you. :)

munchievictim
04-28-2012, 03:44 PM
I wanted to add: at the beginning, I just focused on counting calories every day and staying below 2000, because I was eating about 3,000/ day before. After I felt comfortable there, I went down to 1900, then 1800, and now I'm at 1700 and losing about a lb a day, and I'm about 50 lbs less than you.
My mom always told me "don't make it harder than it has to be." sure you'll probably lose at 1000 calories a day, you're going to feel awful and this is going to feel like a punishment, which means you'll be more likely to give up and go off plan. Why cling to the edge of the cliff when you can sit a few yards away from the edge, enjoying the view and eating a nice (healthy) picnic?

rj923
04-28-2012, 04:11 PM
When I put my stats into a calculator, it states that I should eat 2600 calories or more a day, I started at 2300 which I knew I could sustain and now eat around 1800- 2000 and I'm consistently losing. I eat more fruit, veggies, protein, and whole foods and eat fewer carbs and fatty foods. You don't HAVE to change what you eat...portion size and preparation makes a big difference!! Im 24 started a few months ago at 380+ pounds....believe me I wish I had started when I was 20 and 330 pounds, but I wasn't ready at the time and now I am. I hope you stick with it, and wish you the best of luck...remember that it doesn't have to be torture! If you want to chat about anything feel free to message me.:smug:

Vex
04-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Just want to amend this figure. I input the OP's variables in the freedieting calculator (assuming a sedentary lifestyle) and the maintenance figure came out at 2,783

That's why I said and pointed out the word generally Freelance, because I KNEW someone would comment about it. :) You're right though, I should have said 'people at a normal weight' instead of her specifically.

Marniadec
04-28-2012, 09:05 PM
When I first started I didn't eat anything other than junk food. It was very comforting to know that I could eat almost the entire burger and most of the fries and still lose weight as I hated everything that looked like real food. I lost about 20 lbs before I started caring about what I was putting in my body. Now I'll eat almost everything. Even if I absolutely hate it.

So, my advice to you, is to start slowly. You don't need to eat the healthiest foods there are right now. You're lucky, in a sense, in that you can eat a lot of calories and still lose weight. So, do that. Eat whatever you like --but in controlled portions. Learning how to control your portions is very important. Then you can add exercise, incorporate more healthy foods into your diet, start drinking more water if you're not getting enough, etc. Get one thing down and then move to the next and do it at your own pace. Sticking with this for the long run is much more important than eating healthy foods that you hate for 3 weeks and then giving up. It will benefit you more in the long run.

I don't know if the above made sense, it's too late here and I'm sleepy. But anyway, those are my 2 cents. :)

ElociN2392
04-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Wow, I was NOT expecting so many replies and encouragement. Thank you everyone!
It's my TOM and I guess I was just feeling...moody, to say the least.
I am definitely going to try to eat more then I have been, and I think I did that today. I still kind of feel like I shouldn't be eating so much.
Today I had:
The whey shake(with added fiber & multivitamin) made with milk for breakfast,
(I'm going to have these until the powder is gone.)
A turkey sandwich on whole grain rye bread with mayonnaise, lettuce and cheese.
carrot sticks with a tbsp of ranch
Two small hamburgers on cheese buns(guilty) with some BBQ sauce and lettuce.
two cups of iced tea.
Celery sticks.
I tried about half a cup of chocolate soy milk today, it wasn't bad but I didn't realize till after I bought it that it says DARK chocolate, lol... could get used to it though.
of course my 8 cups of water
and I just had an apple.

writing this down makes me realize it's still probably not enough but its definitely more than I've been having.

hazyl
04-29-2012, 02:26 AM

an apple
a multivitamin
the protein/fiber shake
home made veggi soup

I think that's all.

Hey for long term result, I don't think it works that way. You must have balance nutrition in your daily meals. Foods that should be staples in your healthy meal plans include fresh fish, naturally raised meats, organic poultry, organic whole eggs, raw nuts, fresh herbs, and fresh fruits and vegetables. Anything boxed, frozen, jugged or canned is considered processed and has no place in a healthy diet. Use right kind of oil (olive oil I suggest) to prepare your food.

Good luck!

shepherdgirl
04-29-2012, 02:26 AM
Based on what I know about my own weight and metabolism, you should be able to eat minimum of 2,000 calories and lose pretty rapidly. I'm 22, weigh 218 and am 5'2" and I can eat 1800 calories a day and still lose about a pound a week. So you should be able to eat much more than that since you are bigger and taller.

Right now I'm in love with this food journaling website--it tells me how many calories to eat and also helps track how healthy I'm eating (whether I'm getting my vitamins/minerals, eating too much fat, etc). It's www.nutrimirror.com and I'd highly recommend it (it's how I've lost 30 lbs.)

Disclaimer: I'm not paid by this website or affiliated with it--I'm just so excited to have found it! And btw, it's free and it's not a 'gimmick' to get you to buy stuff.

ElociN2392
04-29-2012, 02:32 AM
Hazyl - I don't see what I did wrong there other then just not eat enough? I didn't have anything processed....if I use nothing frozen.. like veggies or fruit then I'd have to be a millionaire to even eat healthy...

Thank you Shepherdgirl! I'll have to check that out. :)

JohnP
04-29-2012, 02:49 AM
Hey for long term result, I don't think it works that way. You must have balance nutrition in your daily meals. Foods that should be staples in your healthy meal plans include fresh fish, naturally raised meats, organic poultry, organic whole eggs, raw nuts, fresh herbs, and fresh fruits and vegetables. Anything boxed, frozen, jugged or canned is considered processed and has no place in a healthy diet. Use right kind of oil (olive oil I suggest) to prepare your food.

Good luck!

Where do you come up with this stuff? It is your kind of thinking that leads so many people to failure because they think it has to be all or nothing.

So long as your macro and micro nutrient needs are being met a "healthy diet" can take many forms.

JohnP
04-29-2012, 02:55 AM
I'm trying to count calories...

Have you? I have seen several posts about what you're eating but I haven't seen once a calorie count from you.

I'm going to tell you everything you need to know right now.

Calories determine fat loss or gain. Sufficient protein is necessary to maintain muscle while dieting. Everything else is secondary.

To put it another way, you need to eat at a caloric deficit and you need to eat protein.

Exactly how many calories you eat is up to you but from the posts I've seen from you so far you're at a number that is way below 1,000 with only a small amount of protein. Long term this is bad news.

Calorie counting programs will also calcuate your protein intake. I'd suggest at your height you need at least 70g of protein a day.

Get adequate sleep.

Get at least 20 minutes of exercise 3 times a week.

ElociN2392
04-29-2012, 03:11 AM
Have you? I have seen several posts about what you're eating but I haven't seen once a calorie count from you.

I'm going to tell you everything you need to know right now.

Calories determine fat loss or gain. Sufficient protein is necessary to maintain muscle while dieting. Everything else is secondary.

To put it another way, you need to eat at a caloric deficit and you need to eat protein.

Exactly how many calories you eat is up to you but from the posts I've seen from you so far you're at a number that is way below 1,000 with only a small amount of protein. Long term this is bad news.

Calorie counting programs will also calcuate your protein intake. I'd suggest at your height you need at least 70g of protein a day.

Get adequate sleep.

Get at least 20 minutes of exercise 3 times a week.
John! THANK YOU for this!
This made me feel so much better and it's what I needed to here.

I tried counting calories and failed majorly, because I would spend so much time on the computer or on my phone trying to add them up with apps and such.
The people around me get angry and then I end up on the computer or on my phone all night, like now.. and not ending up getting enough sleep...

I do not sleep enough and working night shifts for six nights in a row doesn't help.

THANK YOU again for telling me exactly what I needed to hear,
I will try(very hard) to get at least 70g of protein a day, now that I know how much I need.

ElociN2392
04-29-2012, 03:23 AM
John, I would have messaged you but I don't think I can, because I haven't been a member for 20 days yet.
If I eat nuts to get some protein, and they are salted vs unsalted,
what are the pros(probably none) and cons?

JohnP
04-29-2012, 03:31 AM
John, I would have messaged you but I don't think I can, because I haven't been a member for 20 days yet.
If I eat nuts to get some protein, and they are salted vs unsalted,
what are the pros(probably none) and cons?

You need to stop worrying about nonsense like this. Organic, raw ... blah blah blah.

Focus on getting the fundamentals right.

Calories, protein, sleep, exercise.

Everything else you can worry about later. As time goes on you can worry about details but if you worry about them now it will take away your focus from the fundamentals. Keep it simple.

There is not need to spend hours logging calories. It takes a little bit longer initially but once you have it dialed in it shouldn't take longer than 5-10 minutes tops.

ElociN2392
04-29-2012, 03:32 AM
Thank you again. :)

Samantha18
04-29-2012, 03:57 AM
To save time on counting calories, I just glance at the brands on the packages and remember them. From there you can just find on whichever calorie site you use, and most of them have a huge food database with nearly every food stored already. And if the database doesn't have it already, then you can google it and enter the stats. I find this much easier than trying to copy the info from the boxes and whatnot. You might already know this, but it's a huge time saver how these sites have the foods built in.

I prefer caloriecount.about.com, because I find their food database is accurate. Sparkpeople and MyFitnessPal didn't always match the packages when I went to count. These sites should also give you a proper amount of calories to aim for after you enter your stats. When I used online calculators, they gave me ridiculously high numbers that I couldn't logically lose on, but these sites always give me a realistic number, and they base it on a healthy 1.5-2lb weight loss a week.

It looks like you got some great advice though! Feed your body right, and remember that weight loss doesn't have to be miserable!

Kery
05-01-2012, 07:08 AM
I'll side with John on that one, don't bother for now about organic vs. non-organic etc. True, non-processed foods are normally better for one's health, but when you can't afford them, well, you can't (I don't eat lots of organic food either, for that very reason). And there's so much to think about already, it can get even more confusing.

I think, however, that the "no frozen foods" mentioned above was rather about "frozen prepared meals" (that usually contain too much salt, oil...). I'd see no point in banning frozen raw vegetables from your diet. Where I live, they tend to be even better than the 'fresh produce' at the supermarket, because they were frozen and packaged pretty quickly, and so retain most of their nutrients (contrary to some of those poor veggies that have been on display for... you don't even know how long).

ElociN2392
05-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks Kery! Yah, I never eat frozen prepared meals, they're pretty gross.

serendipity907
05-01-2012, 11:43 AM
In regards to recording calories I used to just have a little notebook which I'd write everything down in, eventually you will find it very easy to remember the cals/protein contents of food you're eating.

I know a lot of people now use smart phone apps and websites to record their food, but I always found a pen and paper much simpler.

If you're just starting out, trying to remember everything you've eaten in a day can leave a lot of room for denial or just plain forgetting.

You've had some great advice about what to eat. I also don't think making sure you're getting 5 a day and eating granary, organic, healthy oils etc are that important to begin with. As long as your calorie intake is good you'll lose weight, and as you see results and get the hang of it-Then you can work on refining your foods a bit more!