Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 04-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

Default Bra Size Explanation

I know this is a crazy question but does anyone know what the numbers and letters in our bra sizes mean? I went to get fitted for a new bra since my weight loss and my numbers went down but the letters are still the same. I just don't understand the Alphabet in the bra sizes. Can anyone explain?

Thanks for any help.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'1

Okay, now I'm not quoting myself on this one lol. The numbers are related to your body, i.e. how that strap wraps around your frame so you can hook it. The alphabet if for the actual cup that holds your breasts. Lol, I'm writing this on a whim, but I recently had someone explain this to me because I'm in the similar situation. Went down number size, but my actual breast size is still in the same alphabet region.

Err…hope I wasn’t confusing and helped somewhat .
RainbowWimsii87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowWimsii87 View Post
Okay, now I'm not quoting myself on this one lol. The numbers are related to your body, i.e. how that strap wraps around your frame so you can hook it. The alphabet if for the actual cup that holds your breasts. Lol, I'm writing this on a whim, but I recently had someone explain this to me because I'm in the similar situation. Went down number size, but my actual breast size is still in the same alphabet region.

Err…hope I wasn’t confusing and helped somewhat .
Yes, that information was very helpful.

And I'm a DDD. I guess I have A LOT that needs to be held. LOL LOL LOL

I wonder how can I lose the DDD and get into a D? LOL LOL LOL

Any exercises? LOL
Old 04-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

And, (read my cynical thoughts) my guess is that you might be larger than a DDD but they put you in a DDD as that's the largest they had in the store.

Measure yourself and see - what is your underbreast measurement (tight - horizontal all around). THen, what is your breast measurement all around (in a good fitting bra) and there are other methods.

The difference between the two measurements determine your cup size. A DDD (or F) 6" difference. (A-1, B-2, C-3, D-4, DD-5, DDD/F-6, G-7).

My guess? Being very cynical is that they added inches to your band size so that they could give you a smaller cup size. If I were to get fitted they would want to give me a 36DDD/F. When I am a 34G. By giving me a slightly too big band size, they are able to give me a slightly too small cup size.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

There is an actual science/formula for measuring for bra size.

The down side is, with a kajillion outfits making bras, your best bet is to go TRY THEM ON!

I really and truly, went to a professional, sells bras only store and got measured, by a supposed, professionally trained bra fitter, last fall, they told me I was 34D. ROFLMAO! The store did not have a single bra in a 34D that could hold a candle to my girls.

A 34 is to tight, and a D, well, if I take a deep breath, it would be a peep show!

I am somewhere in between a 36 and a 38 band size, and a D or DD cup, depends on the bra.

I am very PICKY about my bras. They HAVE to be underwire, comfy, hold the girls up and be at least a little bit cute/sexy. The last time I bought bras, I shopped and tried on bras for 3 months before I was happy.

And I spent the money, but it's an item you wear every day, and it needs to work for whatever works for you.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #6  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Measure your rib cage right under your bust. That's your band measure.

Bend over forward and measure around the fullest part of your bust. Subtract your band measure from that measure.

1"=A, 2"=B, 3"=C, 4"=D, 5"=DD, 6" =F, 7"=G and so on.

Use that as your starting point and try try try bras on until you find one that works for you!

Good luck!

I thought I was a 36D even though nothing about my bra worked... until I read Runningfromfat's blog and realized I'm really a 30G! My posture is better and everyone is up and happy where they belong now .

Last edited by ValRock; 04-28-2012 at 12:39 AM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #7  
Time For Change

S/C/G: see/ticker/:)

Height: 6'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
Measure your rib cage right under your bust. That's your band measure.

Bend over forward and measure around the fullest part of your bust. Subtract your band measure from that measure.

1"=A, 2"=B, 3"=C, 4"=D, 5"=DD, 6" =F, 7"=G and so on.

Use that as your starting point and try try try bras on until you find one that works for you!

Good luck!

I thought I was a 36D even though nothing about my bra worked... until I read Runningfromfat's blog and realized I'm really a 30G! My posture is better and everyone is up and happy where they belong now .
lmao. everything about this post made me laugh, thank you! oh, and it is very useful! Thanks again.
ElociN2392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #8  

I love ALL of the input.

I had to laugh this weekend because I went to 3 different stores to get fitted for a bra and every person gave me a different number. LMAOOOOOOO

Store #1 - 36DDD
Store #2 - 36G
Store #3 - 38 F and 38H

I told the lady at Store #3 that if she brought one more ALPHABET (I, J, K L, etc) in the dressing room, that I was going to run out of the dressing room stark naked screaming through the store. LOL
Old 04-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #9  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I'm not surprised at your bra fitting experience. Best thing to do is to try a bunch of different things on. Of course, how they feel IMMEDIATELY and a few hours later can be different. I find that something might feel secure in the store, but then a couple hours later they are sliding up my bike.

That band size might not matter as much to someone who has smaller/lighter breasts, but when your breasts are saggy and heavy, you need a snug band to hold them up!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAgreeneyes View Post
Yes, that information was very helpful.

And I'm a DDD. I guess I have A LOT that needs to be held. LOL LOL LOL

I wonder how can I lose the DDD and get into a D? LOL LOL LOL

Any exercises? LOL
Haha. I was looking all over for this thread! Silly me for forgetting to subscribe because I was super curious how your venture was!

Yesh, woe is the woman with big breast hehe...kidding. I'm an F cup, but I do agree that you just have to try them on because sometimes I'm an E or a DD. All depends. . BerryBlondeBoys is soo right it's no fun not having a band that can hold you up properly. No to bras that can't withstand the heavy!

RainbowWimsii87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
That band size might not matter as much to someone who has smaller/lighter breasts, but when your breasts are saggy and heavy, you need a snug band to hold them up!
And yet, so many stores and bra manufacturers still tell you to add 4-5 inches to your measurement to get your band size. That put me in a 34 band, which had become so loose I was tempted to tie them in knots rather than hooking them up.

Even the manufacturer of the bra I am currently wearing would have me wear a 34 band. I have the 32 on the middle hook, and could put it on the tightest hook if I wasn't spending the day hanging out at home and didn't need the extra support.

This misinformation out there and the lack of a good size range at most stores is just so frustrating. I live in Canada. The bra I'm wearing is made in Canada. I cannot go to the local mall and buy this bra in this size.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowWimsii87 View Post
Haha. I was looking all over for this thread! Silly me for forgetting to subscribe because I was super curious how your venture was!

Yesh, woe is the woman with big breast hehe...kidding. I'm an F cup, but I do agree that you just have to try them on because sometimes I'm an E or a DD. All depends. . BerryBlondeBoys is soo right it's no fun not having a band that can hold you up properly. No to bras that can't withstand the heavy!

I have been wearing the Cabernet bra for years. I am currently in a 36DDD and the girls feel like they are tall as the empire state building. I LOVE my new support, minimizer bra. LOL
Old 05-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 203/193/155

I wanted to share this link with you ladies:

http://www.herroom.com/full-figure-b...ng,905,30.html
thundahthighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundahthighs View Post
I wanted to share this link with you ladies:

http://www.herroom.com/full-figure-b...ng,905,30.html
And yet their fitting advice tells you to take your ribcage measurement and add 4" or 5"!!!!
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #15  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

With recent changes my measurements show I need like a 29H. I don't know if that even exists but I feel like it would be suffocating. I'm wearing my old 34D at the moment and putting in on the middle clip because the 32DD I really needed only comes in underwire and I LOATH underwire. They also have bigger straps which are too wide for my shoulders. Even small straps are too wide, the bigger straps are ridiculous. I was hoping to get away with it for a little longer. I'm going to take a guess that the H's only come in underwire too.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 05-02-2012 at 03:11 AM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote