Exercise! - Personal Trainer?

View Full Version : Personal Trainer?

missphalange
04-26-2012, 09:51 PM
I am looking to hire a PT, but want to interview them first. I'm not going to hire the first one that comes along!

Any tips on what to ask?

jennynyc77
04-26-2012, 11:07 PM
I would recommend asking what kinds of exercises they specialize in, how they work with clients to meet their goals and if you could do a trial session before committing if you like them. I've been working out with mine for nearly two years and he still motivates me to push harder and try new things. It's also a great way to make sure you don't skip the gym :)

Steve Troutman
04-27-2012, 09:46 AM
I wrote a very extensive article about the hiring process of a trainer. I've worked in the industry for over 10 years and as part of my work now I do consulting with fitness centers helping them with their hiring and continuing education systems. I feel that I have a pretty good feel for things you're encounter as well as questions you'll ask.

Hopefully this article isn't misconstrued as spam, but if it is, my apologies to the mods and please remove it.

http://body-improvements.com/articles/industry-articles/how-to-select-a-personal-trainer/

mkroyer
04-27-2012, 11:22 AM
http://www.leighpeele.com/how-to-hire-a-personal-trainer

missphalange
04-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

fitness4life
04-30-2012, 10:48 AM
I wrote a very extensive article about the hiring process of a trainer. I've worked in the industry for over 10 years and as part of my work now I do consulting with fitness centers helping them with their hiring and continuing education systems. I feel that I have a pretty good feel for things you're encounter as well as questions you'll ask.

Hopefully this article isn't misconstrued as spam, but if it is, my apologies to the mods and please remove it.

http://body-improvements.com/articles/industry-articles/how-to-select-a-personal-trainer/

Great article. Do I have permission on printing it and posting it in my gym?

Steve Troutman
05-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Great article. Do I have permission on printing it and posting it in my gym?

Absolutely. When you say "your gym" do you mean you own the gym? If you don't own it, I could see the personal trainers on staff (assuming there are some) getting a bit uncomfortable.

fitness4life
05-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Absolutely. When you say "your gym" do you mean you own the gym? If you don't own it, I could see the personal trainers on staff (assuming there are some) getting a bit uncomfortable.

No, I don't own the gym. I run the place, but I don't own it. The employees don't know the owner. They know me.

And plus we're all close friends.

I shared the article with one of the trainers who is currently looking to heavily recruit clients. He liked it. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Troutman
09-20-2012, 11:33 PM
No, I don't own the gym. I run the place, but I don't own it. The employees don't know the owner. They know me.

And plus we're all close friends.

I shared the article with one of the trainers who is currently looking to heavily recruit clients. He liked it. Thanks for sharing.

Haven't been on since this post, but if you're still around, I'm glad he liked it and thanks for sharing it.