Weight Loss Support - Your'e strange comfort food?

View Full Version : Your'e strange comfort food?

Porthardygurl
04-25-2012, 01:57 PM
So funny enough, my comfort food used to be bread and potato chips and now its not..In fact its these little cough candies called HALLS..the flavour is extra-strenght menthol-lyptus...Dont know why..but i got hooked on these when i got sick with a sore throat and cant seem to give them up..it feels like a warm hug for your mouth!!! I could suck on those all night long..

You? Whats yours?

Brandis
04-25-2012, 02:20 PM
I have a friend that we have to watch when she gets sick, cuz she totally gets addicted to the cough drops. I wonder if there's something to that? I'm a pasta kinda girl.

LARWife
04-25-2012, 02:41 PM
If we're talking healthy foods My newest addiction is romaine lettuce leaves. I spritz the wish bone salad spritzers on them and it is amazing. I love the Balsamic Breeze It's my new late night /movie snack. It just seems to satisfy my munchies.

DeFluffinMyStuffin
04-25-2012, 02:55 PM
My strange, un-healthy comfort food is grits and ground meat. My mama made that growing up and it makes everyone I know go :tired: but I love it.
She would make a cajun spaghetti sauce with ground meat and put that over grits. Woowee, talk about some warm tummy lovin'!
I didn't know that was culinary weirdness until jr. high school when a friend spent the night and I announced we were having that for supper. She thought my mama was the meanest thing on two feet to serve that. :drill:
We also ate cornbread, milk and sugar but I didn't take that affinity to adulthood. Oogs me out now.

Healthy comfort food would have to be raw bell peppers. Crunchtastic.

Arctic Mama
04-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Strange comfort food? Probably a seared slab of ribeye. That melty animal fat, crisp crust and juicy, tender goodness gets me every time.

I can also eat malt powder straight with a spoon. Both of these were foods I loved growing up, and are heavenly to indulge in. However I never do malt powder anymore, but I have ribeye once or twice a week. It's a budget splurge of mine, but very health promoting and satisfying (especially compared to the malt). I may have a malt at a restaurant some day, but that's about the extent of it. No redeeming health benefits, unlike a well prepared steak.

konfyoozed
04-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Whenever I'm feeling blah, I typically turn to a peanut butter and honey sandwich. Don't know why. It's not all that weird, but it's pretty much been my comfort food since I was a kid.

lm3898
04-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Velveeta shells & cheese - it's not really strange but I love it as a comfort food. When I'm sick, I do wonton soup, not chicken noodle - always.

sontaikle
04-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Diet Coke. If I'm stressed as **** I start chugging it.

katkitten
04-25-2012, 03:32 PM
roasted red pepper hummus. Not bad for me in small quantities but I can easily eat over 1000 calories worth in one sitting. So not good either ;)

samcakes
04-25-2012, 03:34 PM
it sounds disgusting, but when i was growing up, my stepdad would make a noodle/oyster/veggie spread to go on crackers. it looks and smells absolutely horrid, but to this day i crave it often. sooooo good, dont knock it till you try it!

AmandaBickham
04-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Peaches n cream instant oatmeal with heavy whipping cream and butter... yumo!

pixelllate
04-25-2012, 04:04 PM
I think that I ONLY like wierd food.
Crusty bread-I love bread ends, and anything gooey. Melted cheap cheese, fluff, whipped cream, Nutella-anything cheap in a jar. Thats why a "letting go" isn't really a fancy nice dessert, I like it cheap and probably sitting on the shelf for a long time ugh.
I also love anything that will spike my blood sugar up way high. Right now I want spaghetti with tons of meat sauce. And around -1-4 PM. after that its more managable, but around those times, I always think that I will go nutso. Then I chillax.

pixelllate
04-25-2012, 04:05 PM
roasted red pepper hummus. Not bad for me in small quantities but I can easily eat over 1000 calories worth in one sitting. So not good either ;)

I am in love with hummus. Again anything that can be like goo in a jar AHHHHHHHH

Porthardygurl
04-25-2012, 04:23 PM
NOM NOM NOM hummus with a pound of baby carrots used to be my healthy comfort food...its the crunch and the creamy mixed with the salty and sweet

berryblondeboys
04-25-2012, 04:50 PM
For me it's Jif peanut butter. I absolutely love it and eat it every single day. sorry, natural and homemade can't compare.

katkitten
04-25-2012, 04:57 PM
NOM NOM NOM hummus with a pound of baby carrots used to be my healthy comfort food...its the crunch and the creamy mixed with the salty and sweet
that's how i eat it too! although I've found that celery is good with it too. Unfortunately, I can't control myself with hummus so I have to stay away from it for the moment lol

munchievictim
04-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Unhealthy: country fried steak and gravy, grits with tons of sugar and butter, macaroni and cheese, my mom's spaghetti, and TACOS. I also dream about Sonic onion rings. Anything with ketchup. Ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together!! All of these are things that my very skinny mother loves and introduced me too. I only have ever had country fried steak and gravy like once or twice a year because it's soo bad, but I loveee it.

Healthy food: grilled calamari with udon noodles OMFG. not crazy healthy but totally okay in moderation, which isn't hard for me. Raw oysters on the half shell with lemon and cocktail sauce. Whole wheat toasted covered in no-cal butter spray. And sugar free freaking Popsicles. I really have to watch myself with those I eat them like they're pickle slices- another healthy comfort food. Oh, and any grilled meat.NOM. Especially grilled chicken thighs and steakkk.
Okay I have to stop talking about this now.
Cheers :)

katkitten
04-25-2012, 05:26 PM
mmmmmm ketchup.....

munchievictim
04-25-2012, 05:29 PM
mmmmmm ketchup.....

HAHA! I know right? Ketchup is like CRACK for me.

munchievictim
04-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Lol I hope no one notices that all my "healthy" comfort foods are, like, devoid of any nutrition at all except protein. I guess that's why they're comfort foods and not daily staples though right?
I also want to add earl grey tea with Splenda. Yum.

berryblondeboys
04-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Lol I hope no one notices that all my "healthy" comfort foods are, like, devoid of any nutrition at all except protein. I guess that's why they're comfort foods and not daily staples though right?
I also want to add earl grey tea with Splenda. Yum.

Seriously, most of us have those foods. Jif is my current comfort food I live with, but....

I could eat a container of pringles or a bag of cheetos daily (used to). Or fried chicken or pizza or man... any of those things heavy, fatty foods. I love salty and fatty foods. Yum! Yum! Yum!

Now my salty, sweet, fatty food I keep is Jif.

mammasita
04-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Strange comfort food? Probably a seared slab of ribeye. That melty animal fat, crisp crust and juicy, tender goodness gets me every time

oh my, a seared slab of rib eye is not strange! I would take a ribeye over anything sweet ANY day.

Any carb would be my unhealthy comfort food. Fresh bread with pure irish butter, steak, fries.....

Healthy comfort food: dehydrated kale chips or butternut squash "hash browns" with ketchup!

LeilaJey
04-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Instant noodles fried in soy sauce with onions and sausages. Ok not strange really.. Ohh and digestive biscuits with chocolate spread. I could eat a whole pack.

This is making me hungry haha

LeilaJey
04-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Towards the end I started microwaving chocolate chocolate chip muffins and having it with honey comb icecream.

Oh god I want it so bad.

I have to leave this thread :|

Only Me
04-25-2012, 06:07 PM
I crave diet coke when I'm sick.

Chocolate is my go to junk food.

I also love steamed broccoli mixed in with vegetable flavour Mr. Noodles.

Bijoux00
04-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Big bowl of homemade rice pudding made with vanilla and covered with a big dollop of crabapple jelly! Weird, british thing!

Natasha22
04-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Nutella pancakes, coke and Pringles. I could live off of these. Lately I've been really liking light cream cheese: it's low on calories and I like to spread it on lettuce, roll it up, pin it with a toothpick. Looks fancy and it's incredibly light.

pixelllate
04-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Ketchup with white rice. In fact salsa or anything tangy mixed with white rice mmm

Oh and I used to eat whipped cream by ITSELF and Cool Whip.

annnd I made these honey nutella PB sandwiches. Mamma mia someone hold me I am thinking about them!

GlamourGirl827
04-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Whenever I'm feeling blah, I typically turn to a peanut butter and honey sandwich. Don't know why. It's not all that weird, but it's pretty much been my comfort food since I was a kid.

I usually treat myself to a peanut butter sandwich. We don't have jelly (we just don't buy it) but we do have honey, mostly for cooking. Lately I have thought about making a peanut butter and honey sandwich, thinking of course that I was being all creative and inventing this new sandwich! lol I guess its been done. :D

ValRock
04-25-2012, 08:28 PM
I eat weird food too!

I had a horrible sore throat a few months back and finally kicked it with home made stevia hot cocoa and cayenne pepper. It's 100 degrees out and I'm still drinking it! I can't stop.

Another weird comfort food is romaine lettuce. I just eat it, plain. It's the crunch or something, I don't know.

In a former life... *cringe* I used to walk down to the store, get a whole loaf of white french bread, and a tub of margarine and dip and eat. The thought of doing that now makes me want to hurl! What was wrong with me?

Tai
04-25-2012, 08:31 PM
This thread is making me hungry!

I don't really have a comfort food now but before I started the weight loss I loved mac and cheese. Not a good kind that you make yourself but the stuff you buy in the box with the orangy cheese.

Vex
04-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Pepperoni and cream cheese pizza. the more pepperoni the better. I seriously CRAVE it.

If only I could crave lettuce...

WildThings
04-25-2012, 08:37 PM
I actually don't have any healthy comfort foods. My unhealthy is any thing with starch, mainly potatoes. I also like my pasta and sweets.

Couch
04-27-2012, 01:10 AM
At the moment, dhal. Particularly when spicy and salty. Nom.

chickadee32
04-27-2012, 02:46 AM
Ketchup with white rice.

OMG, I used to eat that as a kid!! Basically a pool of ketchup with a little rice mixed in. :lol: I still love ketchup, but the thought of it with rice grosses me out now!

God, I love food. My list of pre-weight loss comfort foods is really, really long. I'm not sure that any of them are particularly strange though. Maybe a garbage plate. I'd get mine with burgers, all potatoes (no mac salad), no mustard. The hot sauce is the best part and a must have - it's not a garbage plate without it. Every bit as greasy and enormous and bad for you as it looks, but delicious and pretty much the best drunk food ever.

Not a weird food per se, but since starting the weight loss my comfort food has become the 90 calorie Fiber One bars. They've been a staple since the beginning, and when I need something comforting those are often what I turn to. They just... relax me, or reassure me, or something. Odd. Last week when my husband came to bed really late (3 or 4 am), I was half awake already, had been tossing and turning. I asked him to get me a Fiber One bar, ate it in bed, and then slept like a baby the rest of the night.

pixelllate
04-28-2012, 10:07 PM
LOL chickadee32 yup I know what you mean. Rice is so Meh to me and now the thought of combining those two things makes me feel nauseus!

Oh and in the past, I never needed spoons. Seriously, I would take anything gooey (hummus, salsa, Nutella etc) and a slice of bread would be my "spoon". Annnd the slice of bread=a whole loaf. And a half.

ringmaster
04-28-2012, 10:29 PM
I think I just realized I don't have any favorite healthy comfort food! maybe a spring mix salad with balsamic dressing, feta, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, some red onion and cucumbers... ok, but this can all add up really quick, so I have to watch the portions on everything but it can easily be a pigout meal.

of course there is a nice greasy pizzeria pizza... sure it's easy to substitute by making my own, but still not the same as a fresh pizza. and tortilla chips and salsa, and potato chips and dip...can easily go through a big bag of either with 15 minutes...no even close substitutes for them either! but these aren't that strange.

toastedsmoke
04-29-2012, 08:12 AM
My previous comfort foods: Bread and I can't believe it's not butter sandwiches, bread and blackcurrant jam, Digestive biscuits and nutella, meat pies, sausage rolls, scotch eggs...

My current comfort foods: Digestive biscuits and nutella, Ramen stirfries, plantain chips...

VenomousPiano
04-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Unhealthy comfort food: Okay, well, maybe it isn't really unhealthy, but I love Arrowroot Cookies... they're a type of teething biscuit. But I still love them from when I was younger. :)

Healthy comfort food: Apples with peanut butter on it. (only a little bit of the peanut butter, though)