Old 04-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #1  

Default lbs and inches...

So I have started IP with a few friends of mine and I just went for my first weigh in today and lost 5.1lbs and 9 inches. My friend lost more lbs, but less inches on her first weigh in. I'm just curious as to how lbs and inches correlate to each other. I guess I had assumed that the more lbs you lose the more inches you lose? as in I figured that since my friend had lost more lbs she would have also lost more inches....

I'm ecstatic about both our weight loses, just curious on how the correlation works within my body...

Hope this makes some sense....
lildvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #2  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I changed my siggy to show my lb, inches, and body fat % lost to see if a trend could be seen for the same reason as far as trying to correlate the 3 major stats. Losing water weight, fat, and muscle all mean losing different amounts of inches so I am sure that can play a part too.

I am sure there is another component going on that can explain the overnight "whoosh" weight loss. You would think it would be a consistent daily loss, but for me at least its more like a leapfrog of weightloss.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #3  
04/23/12~Kara

S/C/G: 194.8/171.2/135

Height: 5'7"

From what I read, you burn Glycogen first, which weighs more (more lbs lost) but is more dense than fat (less inches lost), so if you burned more FAT, you'd lose less weight, but more inches, if you burned more GLYCOGEN, you'd lose more inches, but less weight. Does that make sense? Link to the info page for it (one of many)
http://www.ihpweightloss.com/The_Ide...Mike_Ciell.pdf
I could be wrong, but I swear i read it somewhere.
Kaypix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: High-258/224.5/135

Height: 5' 4"

The major weight loss in the first week is your body depleting it's glycogen stores. Keep in mind that every gram of glycogen has 4 grams of water attached to it. This is why when you go into phase 4 you will have a one time gain of 2.5 to 5 lbs as your body replenishes it's glycogen/water. As far as the inches lost, IP explains it to the coaches like this...in a larger person, the fat is spread over a larger area. If you remove the same amount of weight from people of different sizes, the person who is smaller will show more inches lost even though the weight loss is the same. Imagine a roll of paper towels...if you pull one sheet off a new roll, you won't see any difference in it's size, but if you pull the same amount off a roll that is almost empty, you can really see the difference. Same sort of thing here. Remember NOT to compare your journey to someone else. Your body will lose at IT'S own pace and it may be more or less than your friend. You can make yourself crazy and set yourself up for failure by comparing. Hope this explanation helps.

Last edited by JoesHotWife; 04-25-2012 at 12:13 AM.
JoesHotWife is offline   Reply With Quote