Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:29 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8.5"

Default PVCs or Other Heart Irregularities

Hi! Just found out I have "PVC" heart irregularities. I am fortunate in that they are harmless because tests show no underlying heart disease or damage. However, I would like things to stay that way, which means being careful to eat heart-healthy foods and lower my blood pressure. In the past it was pretty high but is now getting really close to healthful range but I need to get it down just a bit and keep it there, and also get the weight off.

I am wondering if anyone else is dealing with issues such as this? Perhaps we can share tips, what we are eating etc. I would love to hear from anyone having this or any kind of heart issues.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #2  

I get PVCs. They are typically harmless. Most people experience them at one time or another, usually after too much caffeine. A heart healthy diet is important, but to my understanding, if you have no other underlying heart conditions, that's not really going to effect the PVCs specifically, although it’s still a good idea to eat healthy! Stimulants will really aggravate it the most. Caffeine in coffee, tea, sodas. Some people are more sensitive than others. I still have a cup of coffee every day. But if I have a day where I have 2-3 cup in the morning, then an iced coffee in the afternoon, let's say, I find I will get that uncomfortable fluttering heart beat feeling. Although, after that much caffeine, a lot of people would probably complaint of heart palpitations!
Also, stress can do it. It’s hard to avoid being stressed, but I have noticed that if I am extremely worked up about something, I get them.
I would say just watch your caffeine intake and try not to get too stressed out. If they increase despite your efforts to manage them, as always, tell you doctor!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Thanks for your good input, GlamourGirl. Yes, PVCs typically are harmless; however, they *can* be a sign of underlying heart disease or damage. When the doctor found mine she advised me not to even leave her office before I called and made an appointment with the cardiologist. They did give me the stress test and it came out I am fine but it is still a wake-up call to get in better shape. And yes, as you said, of course we should always eat healthfully anyway! And since I also have degenerative arthritis in my hip, it is essential that this weight comes off!

And for sure you are right about caffeine! LOL when I had the flu coffee tasted horrible to me, so when I got over the flu I just went right on not drinking coffee; I want to remember it that way. Besides, I like mine with a lot of milk, which means it just needs to go. I have been googling and eating as healthfully as possible, and my BP numbers are dropping like crazy!!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote