Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #1  
吃多一点,吃少一点

S/C/G: >29" / 25.5" / <=25"

Height: 5' 3.5"

Default Could It Be My Scale That's the Problem?

So I'm entertaining the highly vindicating possibility that my scale may be broken, and that this is the reason my weight has not budged from EXACTLY 118.8 for the past four weeks. Seriously. Every single time. And I weigh in 4-5 days a week.

I've been sticking pretty well to my routine, and while perhaps the weight isn't coming off as quickly as I'd like it to, it's physically impossible (given that I know I'm counting calories accurately and working out intensely 5+ days/week) for me to have not lost just a *little* weight. And what about those daily fluctuations, anyway? I'm not lifting weights, just doing lots of running and biking, so I doubt I've been replacing my burnt fat with muscle mass, either.

The other thing is that even before I started trying to burn off these "bikini pounds" about two months ago, I weighed in at 115-point-something on different scales. I only bought this new, apparently defective, scale a month ago. It just doesn't seem possible that I could have *gained* weight having tightened up my diet. Unless I have a tumor or something growing inside me -- a horrible thought, but I feel in good health, so I doubt that's the case.

Thoughts?

This is a 12 USD digital scale, by the way. Probably just answered my own question with that, haha. But would an analog one be better? Lemme' know what you all think!

Last edited by xiaobaicai; 04-21-2012 at 05:50 PM.
xiaobaicai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

I'm starting to think the same thing about my digital scales. Mine never give the same answer twice. (Even seconds later.) I sometimes step on and off 3-5 times and I'm getting 3-5 different answers. So, I changed the battery a couple of weeks ago. But, I bought the new batteries at Big Lots. Hubby laughed and said he bought some at Dollar General once and they only worked for about a week.

Anyway, went to a hotel yesterday and worked out in their fitness center. They had real scales, the old fashioned, doctor office slide and balance kind. So, at 11pm last night I weighed 5 pounds less than I had the same morning on my own scales. AND, I had fast food, chips and brownies at the hotel! So, like you, I think it's either my scale or (the battery.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #3  
I'm doing this!

S/C/G: 220/ ticker /140

Height: 5'3"

That is very odd. I see no way that your weight wouldn't even fluctuate, so I'd guess its a defective scale. Hopefully, you'll be pleasantly surprised when you get that problem fixed good luck!!
alitorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #4  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

When my scale is being weird I pick up something and then stand on it. It gets it "unstuck" from whatever reading it keeps wanting to give me. However, I've never had it stick for a long period of time. It's usually just one day. It doesn't sound the same as what your getting.

If you weigh yourself first thing in the morning without clothes and last thing at night with clothes it will always say 118.8? If that's the case then yeah, I'd get a new scale.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 04-21-2012 at 07:53 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175.6/Ticker/143

Height: 5'4''

Have you tried to weigh something else on your scale? You might wanna try that to test your scale..
Thats what I did with my first scale. It was waaaaay off. So I returned it.
My new scale is giving me better results, and it gives me the same result if I weigh in twice within like a few seconds..
Eurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

A simple way to test it is to weight yourself, then pick up a hand weight or a few bottles of water, and weigh again. If it doesn't change, the scale is the problem.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #7  
too big to fail

Perhaps it is not the scale, but your reliance upon the number on the scale that is the issue.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariposssa View Post
I'm starting to think the same thing about my digital scales. Mine never give the same answer twice. (Even seconds later.) I sometimes step on and off 3-5 times and I'm getting 3-5 different answers. So, I changed the battery a couple of weeks ago. But, I bought the new batteries at Big Lots. Hubby laughed and said he bought some at Dollar General once and they only worked for about a week.

Anyway, went to a hotel yesterday and worked out in their fitness center. They had real scales, the old fashioned, doctor office slide and balance kind. So, at 11pm last night I weighed 5 pounds less than I had the same morning on my own scales. AND, I had fast food, chips and brownies at the hotel! So, like you, I think it's either my scale or (the battery.
I think I'd be trying to get that scale into the trunck of the car and home with me!
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've had several digital scales including my current one that have had this problem (I knew it was the scale because I weighed before and after a meal to check it - and should have seen at least a small gain from the weight of the food and drink I put in my stomach).

What it turned out to be was a dying battery. The first time it happened, I wasn't weighing daily, and I just thought my weight wasn't moving. Then my battery went completely dead, and I went right out and bought a new battery when I changed the battery, my first weight on the scale that same day was like 6 lbs lower (and it wasn't extremely likely that I had lost 6 lbs in two days).

To test your scale, weigh yourself and then pick up something that weights a few pounds (more than two) and get back on the scale, and see if there's any change in the weight. If it's still the same weight, it is your scale, but the scale may not be broken, it may just need a new battery.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote