Exercise! - Holy WORKOUT!! I love biking!

View Full Version : Holy WORKOUT!! I love biking!

healthynewme95
04-20-2012, 05:34 PM
I've been running for a while. My boyfriend just lended me his old bike so I decided to try out biking for a cardiovascular exercise. I took it on the trail and it was so much fun, pedaling and going faster. My legs began to burn more and more especially going uphill. I barely felt my heart pounding but whenever I stopped to take a sip of water or change a song I sure did feel it. My heart was POUNDING. There is absolutely no workout like it. If you have a bike or plan on getting one, know that it is DEFINITELY worth it!! :D:D

tea2
04-20-2012, 05:44 PM
It ROCKS. I'm envious because my bike is in the shop right now :mad::D

healthynewme95
04-20-2012, 06:02 PM
It ROCKS. I'm envious because my bike is in the shop right now :mad::D

Yes!! You enjoy yourself so much it barely feels like an exercise until you stop, slow down or get off. My legs are JELLO!! Better get your bike back soon!

LandonsBaby
04-20-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm going to get a new bike soon. I had one but it's disappeared in between my parents moving out of their house and my brother buying it and moving in his family. It's probably lost in the big garage or barn but he insists my mom's is the only one in there. Unfortunately, I need a kids bike so I can't use that one. Oh well. I'll just get something else. I found some pretty good kids bikes.

hle82
04-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Cycling is such fun exercise, even when it's just leisure! I can't wait until the weather is a bit warmer. I have a road bike and just love going on long rides.

LAgreeneyes
06-04-2012, 06:42 PM
I love it too. I am going on week 2 of riding my bike.

MarjorieMargarine
06-04-2012, 06:49 PM
I can beat biking- I have a TRIKE! :)
Seriously. It's a tricycle for adults. It's not a recumbent bike, it's actually a shiny, Schwinn tricycle. They're pretty cool. I like to think they look "European." ;) They have a huge basket on the back, and I can do all my grocery shopping with it! I also feel more comfortable riding on major streets with it because it feels more stable and I'm terrible at balance. The only thing about it is you can't put it on the back of your car or throw it in your backseat. It's a little big. But man, I'm telling you, a couple miles on that thing is pretty intense.

LAgreeneyes
06-04-2012, 06:51 PM
I can beat biking- I have a TRIKE! :)
Seriously. It's a tricycle for adults. It's not a recumbent bike, it's actually a shiny, Schwinn tricycle. They're pretty cool. I like to think they look "European." ;) They have a huge basket on the back, and I can do all my grocery shopping with it! I also feel more comfortable riding on major streets with it because it feels more stable and I'm terrible at balance. The only thing about it is you can't put it on the back of your car or throw it in your backseat. It's a little big. But man, I'm telling you, a couple miles on that thing is pretty intense.

Trike? Got Pics? Do tell..............

LAgreeneyes
06-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Does cycling work the lower abs? Anyone know?

LAgreeneyes
06-04-2012, 06:54 PM
I just looked it up..........

Upper Legs
The upper legs are the primary part of the body worked while bicycling. The quadriceps, a group of four muscles on the front of the thigh, are of particular importance. These muscles act as powerful knee extensors and are activated with each downward push of the pedal. The gluteus maximus, located on the posterior hip, is another important bicycling muscle. This muscle is engaged when pushing the pedal through the lowest position. A group of muscles on the back of the thigh known as the hamstrings are also used while bicycling to bend the knees.

Lower Leg
Bicycling has the potential to really work the calf muscles of the lower leg. This is determined by where your foot is positioned on the pedal. If the front part of your foot is on pedal, then you will work your calves significantly more than if the back part of your foot is on the pedal. The average person pedals with the middle of the foot, which will give your calves a moderate workout.

Shoulders and Arms
While your lower body is putting in most of the effort required to power your bike, your shoulders and arms are still a necessity. These body parts are used not only to steer and brake the bike but also to support your upper body, especially if you're using a racing bike.

Core
Although not worked to the point of fatigue, the muscles of your core are used while bicycling. Your core includes the muscles of your back and abdomen, all of which are necessary to stabilize your torso in the upright position. Whether you're hunched over on a racing bike or sitting tall while taking a Sunday ride on your single-speed bike, this part of the body will be worked.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/417895-what-parts-of-the-body-does-bicycling-work/#ixzz1wrdFHhwu

MarjorieMargarine
06-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Ah...shoot. I have a new account and it won't let me post links or images. Needless to say, if you google "26 inch schwinn tricycle adult" the image pops right up. Mine's blue. ;)

LAgreeneyes
06-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Ah...shoot. I have a new account and it won't let me post links or images. Needless to say, if you google "26 inch schwinn tricycle adult" the image pops right up. Mine's blue. ;)

Oh good. I will google it now. Thanks.

LAgreeneyes
06-05-2012, 10:10 AM

I just saw it and I love it. I WANT ONE !!!!!!!!! :carrot:

stlrsgrl43
06-05-2012, 10:35 AM
My husband and I just got bikes and we are lucky enough to have a paved bicycle trail right near our house. The trail goes for hundreds of miles but we are starting slow also alot of state parks have bicycle trails as well, we have been visiting different state parks on the weekends to try some out. Marjorie, I saw oine of those trykes, they rent them out at one of the state parks, they are really cool. I also think its alot more fun to burn calories and it burns about the same calories as walking on the treadmill.

kisskiss
06-05-2012, 12:26 PM
I just started using by bicycle last week and I loved it! Not sure if I got a hard work out since I was at a leisurely pace, but I did like it a lot :0

stlrsgrl43
06-05-2012, 02:43 PM
I saw a bicycle computer at walmart that will tell you the distance you traveled and average speed and stuff like that. I thought about getting one so I know about what I am burning.

LAgreeneyes
06-05-2012, 03:58 PM
I saw a bicycle computer at walmart that will tell you the distance you traveled and average speed and stuff like that. I thought about getting one so I know about what I am burning.

That would be nice! What's the name of the bike?

kisskiss
06-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Not sure if it's the same thing, but I hava free app on my phone called mapmyride that tells me the average speed, and the route I took (distance) and calories burned. Pretty cool app

stlrsgrl43
06-05-2012, 04:28 PM
it's just a little computer thingy you put on your handlebars or somewhere on your bike. It's in the bike acessories and they run anywhere from 13$ and up.

stlrsgrl43
06-05-2012, 04:29 PM
They kind of look like pedometers

LAgreeneyes
06-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Hey everyone. I"m up to 6 miles on my bike. I really want to increase to at least 12 miles. Do you think I should go straight from 6 miles to 12 miles immediately or should I do increments of 1 or 2 miles. I have only been biking for 2 weeks. This week is my 3rd week.

Any suggestions?

Spinach
06-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Hey everyone. I"m up to 6 miles on my bike. I really want to increase to at least 12 miles. Do you think I should go straight from 6 miles to 12 miles immediately or should I do increments of 1 or 2 miles. I have only been biking for 2 weeks. This week is my 3rd week.

Any suggestions?

I'd do increments, like add 1 mile on the out so you get another 2 per ride. Unless you're on the bus line, then go til you can't go any further and bus it back!

caramelkitty
06-11-2012, 10:55 PM
OMG I LOVE BIKING!!! I have been riding a few weeks now and it most definitely made my legs more toned already, I can feel the muscle under the remaining little layers of fat hahahaha :) It's great because me neither I don't feel the crazy heartbeat until I get off the bike for a second, but in the hot summer sun, I get drenched!! Which can only be a good thing! LOL

LAgreeneyes
06-12-2012, 03:12 PM
I went to the cycling shop for lunch and I saw some VERY expensive bikes. WOW!!!!! I guess I better stick to what I can afford. I saw a nice bike for $700.00 but that is $500.00 more than I can afford. LOL

WalMart road bike here I come. LOL LOL LOL

I wish that I could afford more.

philana
06-12-2012, 03:34 PM
I know how you feel! I bought a roadbike a while ago and I did 34miles the other day and 46miles today and I LOVE IT. It's such an easy way to burn calories. I get so in tune with the road and watching the awesome scenery while feeling like I am in control and going so nice and fast. And before you know it you've been out for 2 and a half hours and burned 2,000 calories. Nothing like it.

LAgreeneyes
06-12-2012, 03:38 PM
I know how you feel! I bought a roadbike a while ago and I did 34miles the other day and 46miles today and I LOVE IT. It's such an easy way to burn calories. I get so in tune with the road and watching the awesome scenery while feeling like I am in control and going so nice and fast. And before you know it you've been out for 2 and a half hours and burned 2,000 calories. Nothing like it.

WOW!!!! 46 miles !!!!!???????????? WOW!!!!

I can't wait to get a new road bike. My bike is sooooo old. I am looking at road bikes online as we speak. :carrot:

I'm loving biking. And I agree. It's an easy way to burn calories. I don't think I want to go back to walking or jogging. I'm biking from here on out!

rainydays
06-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Went about 5.77 miles this morning. I was able to bike 35-40 miles without blinking an eye as a kid/teen. Today, I was huffing and puffing :lol:

I'm excited to start riding several times a week this summer and working back up to those long rides!!

LAgreeneyes
06-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Went about 5.77 miles this morning. I was able to bike 35-40 miles without blinking an eye as a kid/teen. Today, I was huffing and puffing :lol:

I'm excited to start riding several times a week this summer and working back up to those long rides!!

Congrats! :carrot:

Keep up the good work.

You can do it!

rainydays
06-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Congrats! :carrot:

Keep up the good work.

You can do it!

Thank you!

stlrsgrl43
06-13-2012, 06:33 PM
I got my bike on craigslist, almost brand new for 75$. It still had the hair on the tires, a diamond back mountain bike.

McMurphy
06-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Ohh you're so lucky to have a trail nearby! We used to live by one - aren't they great? I live in a small subdivision right off a busy street, and the other day I decided to go biking again for the first time in months. Not five minutes out, a car almost hits me! The road is a rural one used mostly by truckers and other large vehicles, and has no sidewalks and very narrow gravel shoulders. Until we move to a neighborhood with sidewalks (hopefully in a few months) I've decided to jog around my neighborhood instead. I hope to be on the bike again soon!

Rana
06-17-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm bike lover too and I own three bikes - it becomes an addiction!

Let me give you some advice:

- Buy the best quality bike you can afford. Walmart bikes can work, but if you can buy from a local bike store, it's preferable. Why? A lot of Walmart bikes aren't assembled properly -- Walmart doesn't have knowledgeable staff (unless they got lucky when they hired a stockperson) to put together a bike or even to tell you if the bike fits YOU for your level of interest and what you want to do on a bike

- There are three basic types of bikes, they are all different and come in different price points:

Mountain Bikes -- These are heavy, have thick tires, usually you see kids riding these around the neighborhood, especially boys! Back in my day, they were BMXing... I don't know what they call it now a days. These bikes are meant for off-roading, like being on a hiking trail on a bike. This can be very fun and it can be a good work out. It's not about how far or how fast, but how many off-roading miles you can do on it. Get one that is a good fit for your height and ability.

Road Bike -- these are the racing bikes that you might see around your city. The people riding them are usually wearing a lot of lycra and helmets and going 30 mph down a straight road. These bikes are built for speed -- yes, even beginners ride them, so don't be afraid to consider this. Road bikes are good, in my opinion, because they are lighter (easier to handle, lift up on a bike rack, all that) and when you're on it, you will go faster than on a mountain bike. If you like to feel like you're flying this is the bike (even if you're only going 10 mph!). [Sub-categories here would include fixies and mixies and other custom-built or other type of racing bikes.]

Hybrid Bikes -- these are not mountain bikes or road bikes, hence the term hybrid! They have thinner tires than their mountain bike cousins but slight thicker tires than the road bikes. They can come with two handle types -- the straight bar across (like a mountain bike) or with the drops (road bike). Hybrids are good because you don't have to worry as much about a flat tire on a road bike (those skinny tires get a lot of flats!) but they aren't usually as heavy as a mountain bike (which means you can go fast).

The fourth type that's getting a lot of interest now in the USA is the commuter bike, which some people call European bikes. These bikes are like the Hybrids, but they come with fenders and racks (to carry your laptop case or your groceries) and a chain protector (to protect your pants leg).

The reason I recommend going to a local bike shop is because they can help you find the best bike for you. You can go in and say, "I have $200 to spend. What can I buy?" and even if it's a used bike, it'll still be better for you because it'll be something that the shop helps you bike -- for your height, weight, and style of biking.

I've heard too many horror stories of Walmart bikes and I only have one -- that was given to me, that I didn't purchase -- and like a lot of stories, that one was a bike that *IS* too small to fit me right. I rode that bike a lot, because when you're a newbie, you don't know any better... but I did a lot of damage to myself on that bike (falling over and stuff like that).

I have a hybrid I bought off Craig's List that I probably paid too much for, but I fell in love with it.

The road bike that I have is a lower end bike, but I bought it new at a bike store and it's the bike that fits me the best. The store looks out for me, the manager knows my name, they change tires for me and they are really nice.

I highly highly suggest you go to the store for that reason.

Also, yes, you can buy the cycling computer for your bike. I have a fancy one from the bike store and a Bell brand one that I bought in Walmart and they are pretty close in terms of accuracy and how they work. Don't spend the money there if you don't have it.

I've tried using my smartphone to track my rides, but it doesn't work very well -- it might be just my phone. It also eats up a lot of battery -- at least on mine!

Remember -- wear a helmet! I'm not worried about you falling off (although I did, long stories for later), I'm worried about a car or another cyclist or a squirrel causing you to fall and hit your head! So wear one!

Bring water with you and your cell phone -- in case you get a flat, you can call someone.

And remember, bikes are really easy, simple mechanical rides. There's nothing complicated about them, they just look like they are. The only reason some can cost more than a small Korean car is because they are made out of crazy light materials (which makes it really expensive) so they only weigh like 3 lbs soaking wet. Other than that, it's the same machine as the one the kid is riding down the street. Don't ever let anyone make you think otherwise!

P.S. I love the trykes too, we wanted to get one for my mother who doesn't ride. But she refuses to get on one, even an adult tryke. *sigh*

rainydays
06-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Rana, that was great information!

I've ridden a few more times since last posting, and my endurance is improving :)