Old 04-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #1  
LLV

Default Chinese Food

If you're a lover of Chinese food, like I am, what do you normally get? Today I caved to a crave and I ordered Egg Foo Yung, with the sauce on the side and used very little of it, egg drop soup and, of course, I skipped the rice. I did some research getting different nutrition info's for Egg Foo Yung and the highest carb count I found was about 8 grams. Mine was just mushroom Egg Foo Yung, no peas or carrots in it.

I realize that it may differ from one Chinese place to another, depending on how much, if any, cornstarch they use, but a couple of sites also suggested things like Moo Goo Gai Pan and steamed, sauceless dishes.

I'd love some more ideas, though, so what do you normally get at a Chinese restaurant?
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #2  
threenorns

me, i normally get egg rolls (can't resist - they're SO GOOD when they're well made like at Mark's Restaurant, Hwy 35, Minden, ON, take-out and dine-in only, open 7 days 11am-930pm) (i'm sorry, was that my outside promoter?)

i also like anything that's heavy on the veg and light on the starch, so the beef and broccoli is a favourite, as is chicken chop suey.

don't care for Hakka cuisine at all but i really fell in love with the Mongolian Hot Pot i had once in north bay, ON.

oh - and won ton soup - i love won ton soup.

dammit, now i'm hungry.

Last edited by threenorns; 04-18-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/130/135

Height: 5' 4"

Last time I went I had a generic chicken and vegetable dish (was quite heavy on the garlic - yum!) which didn't affect the scales the next morning.
Filcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #4  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by threenorns View Post
me, i normally get egg rolls (can't resist - they're SO GOOD when they're well made like at Mark's Restaurant, Hwy 35, Minden, ON, take-out and dine-in only, open 7 days 11am-930pm) (i'm sorry, was that my outside promoter?)

i also like anything that's heavy on the veg and light on the starch, so the beef and broccoli is a favourite, as is chicken chop suey.

don't care for Hakka cuisine at all but i really fell in love with the Mongolian Hot Pot i had once in north bay, ON.

oh - and won ton soup - i love won ton soup.

dammit, now i'm hungry.
Yeah, I'm an egg roll fanatic, I have a hard time passing them up. Spring rolls are a little less carby because there's not as much skin as an egg roll.

I don't think I've ever had chicken chop suey, but I love chicken chow mein.

We have a Mongolian BBQ, a new place that opened up about 6 months ago, and it's fabulous. I need to go back there again.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filcha View Post
Last time I went I had a generic chicken and vegetable dish (was quite heavy on the garlic - yum!) which didn't affect the scales the next morning.
Well, it wouldn't, except for maybe water weight from the sodium. One meal isn't going to make you gain a pound or two overnight.

Chicken and vegetables sounds good. I also love chicken and mushrooms. It's funny, we hear "if you want to eat low calorie/carb at a Chinese restaurant, just order your meat and vegetable steamed."

Well what's the point in that? I can steam food at home. When I go out to a Chinese place to eat Chinese food, I want that Chinese taste.