Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 04-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #1  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

Default Combating binging with food - anyone else?

Hi all,

I've been doing really well with managing not to binge for a good few months now. Of course, I've overeaten here and there, or gone off plan, but I haven't actually binged.

That is until Monday night, and then last night. On the scale of binges, they weren't anywhere near my biggest, but we're still talking whole packs of biscuits, whole share packs of sweets, packs of ham until there was nothing else left in the house, then I did manage to stop without a late night shop run, so I AM doing better than before, and keep reminding myself this.

Anyway, I'm home alone this week, and know that is the reason I've been doing it, no one here to keep me on track (without even know they're doing it).

I REALLY didn't want tonight to be night 3. So, right now there's barely anything left that is easily binge food, but the freezer is full of things I could happily start on (the problem with sharing a house with people not eating healthy, temptations are almost always going to be around).

But, the only way I felt I could stop tonight being a binge was to fill up on 'good' foods. So, an hour or so before the gym I had a small portion of the veg and lentil curry I had left over from dinner last night. That way, when I got home, I was still satisfied. But, I carried on and made my dinner regardless, I ate it, and was full. But now I'm about to have a healthy yoghurt, even though I'm full. And I plan on taking some rice cakes to bed with me to eat while I watch the last hour of tele up there.

It seems counterproductive on many levels to be eating even though I'm full, but I'm feeling like keeping the full feeling will be enough to help me to get through tonight without a binge, if not eating more than I normally would. I'm also drinking lots of water throughout the evening.

Does anyone else use this coping mechanism?

Can it work?

I worry that using food against food is somehow not properly addressing the issue, and that I'll never be truly binge free when left alone......
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #2  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

I do what you are describing but that is part of what I consider a binge. When I eat even though I am full or feel as if I need to constantly have something in my mouth. I made kale chips or slices fresh veg quite often to combat that... What if you tried to go to bed when you felt like you needed to eat more (if it isn't too early). I struggle with the rueg to binge, make tea but it doesn't always help. I understand how frustrating this issue is. *hugs*
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #3  

I think I wouldn't count tonight as a binge, because I certainly don't need these foods. I've had half the yoghurt and set it down, cos it's not interesting me. It's more like I'm making myself eat more, but of the right things, or at least planning an evening of the right things, to stop me going overboard and raiding the freezer.

I think though, I will go to bed once this yoghurt is done, and skip the rice cakes and see how long I stay there.....

I'm in the UK so it's almost 9.30pm now, the one good thing about being home alone is I can go to bed early!
Old 04-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #4  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Ohhh, I see! that may be a good plan, especially if you're accounting for the calories. I have tried something similar to that and it seemed to work but it didn't rid me of the urges completely, just made them less likely. Hope skipping the rice cakes and going to sleep works for you!
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #5  

Thank you, I hope so too! And hope it'll be a little easier tomorrow having got on my way back out of the cycle again tonight. I can't bare to go back to fighting the binge every night again.

I'd much rather factor in an extra yoghurt and eat 2 smaller healthy but filling dinners than go into raid and eat EVERYTHING mode. Sigh.