Weight and Resistance Training - Shin muscle? Tibialis Anterior? Too well developed?

ValRock
04-17-2012, 07:43 PM
So, yeah...

The muscle on the front of my shin, tibialis anterior, it looks like from the chart on the wall at the gym - is huge. They obviously buldge out over my shins. I don't spend a lot of time checking out people's legs, so I'm not sure if this is normal! It looks out of proportion from the rest of my legs.

Did I overtrain that somehow? How would you overtrain that muscle? It doesn't hurt, it just looks weird to me.

Thoughts?

mirax3
04-17-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm starting to develop the same thing so I know what you are talking about. Unfortunately, I am just as puzzled.

I spend a lot of time working on my legs in comparison to other areas so I thought it was that I overtrained them as you said.

mkroyer
04-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Val,
look at your starting weight! As if you need too... :) Your leg muscles are going to be incredinly well developed right off the start due to how much WEIGHT they were forced to carry around all the time....... Many people,a s they are losing weight, find that they are more " muscular" than they would have liked when they get closer to goal weight, simply for that reason. And you knoe, your legs muscles get worked everyday just from walking around...... i dont think you *did* anything to them...... And i cant tell you how to make them atrophy..... because its not like you can stop using your legs lol. Although i am curoius what an over developed shin muscle looks like.. im having a hard time visualizing

sontaikle
04-20-2012, 10:01 AM
I think mkroyer might have hit the nail on the head. Us former obese folks built up a lot of leg muscle just from walking around and carrying all of that extra weight. If you strength train all the way down like we did then I think you keep a lot of it.

I honestly think that's why my legs are thicker than they might otherwise be.

sumire
04-20-2012, 12:09 PM
FWIW, I'm not a muscular person (though I'm trying my damndest, as you may know :)), but my tibialis anterior is also really well-developed. It first got that way in high school, when I was in marching band. We were supposed to strike on the heel and roll through to the toe at every step; it's a movement pattern I've not really been able to break since then when walking/running. My husband makes "ka-POW!" noises when I flex my foot up & make the muscle "pop." :lol: Anyway, I attribute mine to overzealous heel-striking...

ValRock
04-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Ah, good point about the prior obesity! I didn't think about that.

I run on incline, too. Wondering if that contributes? I tend to heel strike a bit when I do that. Also, I noticed it aching while driving today. My right leg is definitely more developed. I wonder if all the constant braking (living in Japan) was a factor.

All good thoughts! I'm glad I'm not alone :D. I asked my husband to look at it and he said "hrm... that doesn't look normal for a girl." Oh thanks honey... haha.

krampus
04-20-2012, 01:16 PM
I wonder if all the constant braking (living in Japan) was a factor.

I never drove in Japan but I can't count on both my hands and feet the number of times I almost got run over by obachans who were too short to look over the steering wheel. Surprising that Korea has an even higher % of car accidents per capita...

ValRock
04-20-2012, 01:19 PM
I never drove in Japan but I can't count on both my hands and feet the number of times I almost got run over by obachans who were too short to look over the steering wheel. Surprising that Korea has an even higher % of car accidents per capita...

Haha... Oh man the obachans on the road were awful!!! Stopping all the time, for no reason, running lights... argh! I was always terrified I'd hit someone and have no idea what to do. My Japanese is not good enough to deal with that kind of situation! I can't imagine anywhere else could be worse to drive! Anytime anyone complains about traffic, in the states, I just shake my head and laugh :D. My mother came to visit me and she said she feared for her life every time we went anywhere... haha. I am so amazed I left accident free.