Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-15-2003, 10:06 AM   #1  

Default Multiple Sclerosis and Weight Problems

Hello everyone! I'm a new member of 3FC forums and am posting my first message. I am 49, a married mom of three, and am officially disabled from multiple sclerosis. Compounding this, I have discovered I am also a borderline diabetic (diabetes runs in the family). I am in a wheelchair about 85% of the time, able to use a walker to and from areas in my home. I gained weight with all three pregnancies, going from a starting weight of about 155 to my current 280. I regard sugar busters as the most realistic plan I've seen so far as a way to control my cravings and lose weight.

I would like to commiserate with others who have MS, fibro, etc., to discuss the difficulties of weight loss when one has limited mobility.

Best wishes to all!
TrudyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 01:57 PM   #2  
wsw

Hi TrudyL and welcome!

I also have MS and have a lot of weight to lose. This has been the hardest time I have ever had trying to lose weight since I was diagnosed a little over 2 years ago. I am progressive and on ssdi. I use a cane most of the time; also use my walker or wheelchair at times. I have been counting cals. after a lot of trial and error on different food plans. This is working for me now, but I am losing very slowly, but at least losing. I am 50 and now living in the southeast; originally from midwest though (Minneapolis.) It is very challenging trying to lose with limited mobility and some of the other MS symptoms I experience, so I really do understand how hard it can be. The good news of course is that it can be done. If I can be a support, please let me know. I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey. Take good care of yourself.

wsw
wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 02:53 AM   #3  

Default Weight loss issues and MS

Hello: I'm 43 and was a insurance agent for 15 years before I went out on disaiblity.

II have gained 65 pounds since my illness started in 2000. Most of it since the regular steroid Ivs the last couple years and being so ill once I got home from work that I crawled into my jammys and relaxed until I had to return to work. I have stopped the Steroid Ivs and am taking vitamins and doing Atkins. I need to add exercise but am having a hard time going without a exercise buddy. Do you encourage each other?
Cherie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:50 AM   #4  

I am 28 and also have MS. Since my diagnosis 6 years ago...and the steroids, I have gained about 45 pounds. My problem is that I eat fairly well but I am unable to exercice. If someone has any advice to give, I would love to hear it.
At Wits End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 10:00 AM   #5  

Unhappy Atkins Diet

I am also doing the atkins diet but having little success with it, my doctor says its because of the meds I take (Rebif injections). Are you taking any meds? How is the diet working for you?
At Wits End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:24 PM   #6  
PamPSM644

Hi Trudy,I have muscular distrophy and mobliity problems to. I'm suppose to avoid strenuous activity. I'm on Atkins and am doing well I think. I have over 100 lbs to lose.The first 2 wks I lost 10 lbs per week but this week the scale hasn't moved. I read that its to be exspected and that I need to keep the faith because it'll start up again soon.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:58 PM   #7  

Hi all,
I am new here. I am almost 35, tip the scales at 252, and have MS. I have put on a lot of weight the last few years and now I want to get it off. Its hard though. I have tried many diets in the past. If I am commited they work, but I fall off the wagon. Finding a fat burning exercise that I can do is the issue. I do yoga a couple of times a week and lots of stetching. But I can not walk distance, or do anything that requires standing for longer than a few minutes (or coordination ha ha). I figure I am not ready to give up on losing weight yet because I am here. Rhonda
gypse2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:54 AM   #8  

I am brand new to this website....I am 44 newly diagnosed with ms in Oct o4...quit smoking Dec 28th and gained 15 pounds.......I am finding it extremely hard to stick to anything!!! I am not on any meds..had 1 infusion of Tysabri in early Feb but it is suspended for the moment...anyone on Copaxane???
jamiesmom0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:23 PM   #9  

Hi I was diagnosed with MS almost 10 yrs ago when I was 21 yrs of age. I was 125 pounds and went sky rocketing up to 201 lbs. from steroids. about 3 years ago my husband who was also overweight decided to try LA Weight loss centers and in 3 months he lost 50 pounds and I lost 32 without exercise. It was something I thought was great. Maybe it can work for you. I have had two children since that time but I haven't gained any of my weight back that I lost and I am continuing to lose it by eating the way they told us to eat. It is a lot of food and you have to make sure you get your water in but to lose weight you have to eat a lot. That is what they told us anyway. Good Luck and Best Wishes.
poochie897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:11 PM   #10  

Default I Do! I Do! I Take Copaxone!!!

LET ME BE THE BIGGEST COPAXONE CHEERLEADER THERE IS! I'VE TAKEN THIS DRUG FOR 5 YEARS AND HAVE NOT ONE - NOT ONE - SYMPTOM. I'VE EVEN BEEN RECHECKED AND RECHECKED AND I DO HAVE MS. I'M 26 - MOM OF 2. IT'S THE BEST THING ON EARTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesmom0509
I am brand new to this website....I am 44 newly diagnosed with ms in Oct o4...quit smoking Dec 28th and gained 15 pounds.......I am finding it extremely hard to stick to anything!!! I am not on any meds..had 1 infusion of Tysabri in early Feb but it is suspended for the moment...anyone on Copaxane???
ashsday is offline   Reply With Quote